Review of Etsy

2018 Customer choice award

66 reviews with 4 stars

candaced30
12/14/18

Katie ; found your page when I was looking for an apron for my daughter-in-law for Christmas thank you very much for shipping it properly West Virginia

billyj56
10/31/18

I ordered items from several different sellers on Etsy. A couple of t-shirts and posters for decoration. Both orders came on time and were as on description. I like it! I know that some complained that products were not of the best quality, but I think you just need to choose carefully. I had no problems with Etsy purchases.

caseyw66
10/18/18

Can definitely find cute goodies on the site. If you're looking for something like that give it a shot. Wasn't disappointed with the purchases so far myself.

louil
5/11/18

loved the gift i bought from qualitypersonalized, it really depends on a store to what type of experience you'll have

dianer63
3/19/18

Looking at different sellers SALES, it is obvious that some people are very successful. It is interesting to figure out why. Because they may not not always be items I might find cute or would rush to buy.
What are these sellers with high sales numbers doing differently in the way of marketing their items? Or is Etsy promoting certain sellers differently? I do know that when I tag my items I use every imaginable description I think someone searching for an item like mine might use.
My only complaint would be that sometimes it takes me pages and pages to find an item of mine. I do greeting cards and whimsical daughters birthday card or best friend birthday card or sons wedding card or whimsical Angel get well card seem pretty good tags & I rarely find anything of mine pop up on the first search. It may be because Etsy has so many more sellers now than when I first created my Etsy shop. Other than that, it is a very user easy place if you are looking for a place to try to start selling your items on line. It doesnt require a lot of start up $ and at .20 to list each item you cant really complain.

olgar12
3/5/18

In general I have no complaints but one. I've been buying from Etsy for some time and so far got one unresolved incident. The store name is AvesDesign and I bought some bralette which looks beautiful, delicate, and exactly what I was looking for. I bought a white one and even asked if they had black one available that I was interested. They sent me this bralette from he'll. Stretched, stained and far from be a-delicate-well-cut-sew-girl-thing. I wrote to them to never be answered and the cherry on the top... I can't find the store anymore. Can they block? Thieves.

carolynd57
1/6/18
• Updated review

I did get a response from etsy; they were able to put me in touch with the vendor; I did get my item after 3 weeks.

“don't order from etsy”
1/6/18
• Previous review

I ordered something on Dec. 8 & never received the item. Because I checked out as a guest, my email address was not file. When I contacted etsy, I got the reply, "sorry we aren't able to connect your order to a vendor". So I guess it's too bad for me. I will never again order form this site.

californial1
1/3/18

I use this site for both selling and purchasing. As a buyer I've had very good experiences. Every shop is individually owned. As a seller I find the site is a great place to reach additional online traffic. However, it is constantly changing so there is a never ending learning curve. This can be difficult since sellers have no input or control on the physical site. Etsy has a customer service team for sellers and buyers. But, it usually takes 7-10 working days to receive a response to an email inquiry. I have always received a response and support. But, it's never been quick. They do outsource for phone support so tickets can be opened for additional support.
Over all I am happy with the site.

georgettek1
12/4/17

I love Etsy for its unique hand made items from all over the world. I can't always find what I want, but mostly do. I have gottenaa amazing gifts on there and my favorite unique greeting cards. Their website is easy to use and they sell mostly excellent products. One compliant is there is rarely ever free shipping. Sometimes the shipping is more than the product.

andig3
10/31/17

I have found some seriously rare gems on Etsy for a very fair price. All the sellers have shipped on time and have been very friendly. My only complaint is that it is kind of hard to get your foot in the door as a seller and have your items be seen.

annem248
8/31/17

People should realize that Etsy as a whole does not speak for the millions of small shops that sell there. Before you place your order you should check the shops reviews and send the seller a quick note to see their response time and business manner.

Quite frankly it's silly to peg Etsy as a whole as fraudulent when each shop is independent of Etsy. Just like eBay or Amazon, it is your responsibility to check out the credentials of a shop before you purchase. If you are unhappy with your purchase simply dispute it with your bank or credit card company if Etsy is not fast enough for you. It's just that simple.

dianar65
6/13/17

I really like the variety of products in multiple categories. Overall nice experience and delivery is also good.

dob36
5/27/17

Etsy is definitely a niche market. However, I consider it very good at what it does. I don't normally go to Etsy when I'm looking for your average consumer product, but sometimes for gifts or special items, it's a great place to check out. I have also had my own store up and running for a while. Although I haven't had much success with sales, it's fairly easy to use and pretty straightforward, and also Etsy doesn't take out nearly the amount out of your revenue that eBay does. I do love eBay for certain things, but when it comes to selling my handmade product, I would much rather sell through Etsy than eBay.

adrianag26
5/22/17

My daughter bought something from this site and she was waiting for more than a month shipping is really bad and if you try to call them they said sorry nothing we can do you have the wait for your shipping

carolm192
4/21/17

Googled glass clocks on Etsy and found the product I wanted. The artist / maker is well worth a look Craig is passionate about his work and it is truly beautiful .My clock arrived quickly and beautifully packed -- and not far from where I live.This site is well worth a look

michaelw337
4/18/17

I purchased several items for my upcoming wedding from this site. Loved all of them. They arrived as described in a timely manner. Would recommend!

emmag19
11/30/16

I really like Etsy. There are loads of lovely, artsy items to browse. I've used them multiple times for unique gifts or lovely jewellery/accessories. Contacting the owners of the individual businesses is very easy as well, and I've found all of my correspondences to be very pleasant.

I certainly recommend Etsy for anyone looking for something a bit different (and to support individual artists too).

bobj21
9/17/16

Etsy is a solid site that has been around since about 2005. The site itself is clean, navigable, and easy to use. Several of the reviews here on SJ have been about specific sellers - that's not what this review is about.

Like several other online sales sites - each vendor/store is a separate transaction. You are dealing with a different person each time. Look at the star ratings of each store before you buy and leave feedback. Most sellers will want to protect their reviews and ratings and provide you with great service.

This site is heavily craft specific and has a niche following. If you make handmade items you probably already know about it and/or use it.

REASONS TO USE

[1] You are unable to understand star rating systems
[2] You are a compulsive buyer who does no research before you purchase

ajf7
9/12/16

If you know what you're looking for in Vintage & what you expect to pay, you'll do well. Especially if you're looking for something rare. Sellers are for the most part (85-90%) very fast to reply to ANY question. I also limit my Searches to US or closer to not get killed on shipping. But if it's an item made anywhere but the US, I have bought from the UK and paid very little for the item (a 19th C. Russian icon); even with Shipping higher than the actual item, it was well worth it!

If you are looking for handmade or organic makeup, you will find tons of amazing Shops and Sellers who care for the environment.

Etsy is an extraordinary, iconoclastic business model. And that reflects from the top down.

I have amazing votives made by OldSoulArtisan which burn perfectly and of the finest materials. If you want to flex your entrepreneurial muscles, this is a good place to start experimenting with branding, logo design, SEO, etc.

Etsy's Search has a lot to be desired so being very specific in the name of your listing is vital. A search for "Cotton boho maxis" is only good if the Seller uses all three words. Your Search will pull cotton, then boho, then maxi until you have to scroll through 20,000 items to find what you're looking for and read the Details bc a maxi may be rayon.

Because Etsy's commission is much lower than eBay and they don't nickel and dime you all the way as eBay does (more so with each Update of the User Agreement), I'm considering opening a shop there in 2017 but I need to get my ducks in a row to post pics on Pinterest to increase traffic, etc. so I need to make a serious step-by-step plan.

chrisn48
6/28/16

Etsy is doing quite well at the time, but sometime it was just too many listing.

marcelk15
4/15/16

most reviewers tending to the negative seem not to understand that Etsy is a platform and not an online shop
you will have to choose with care which seller you are buying off, as you will have to on any online platform
if the seller accepts paypal not much can go wrong: if the item deos not arrive or is defective, you can get a refund
what's very nice about Etsy is the wide range of handmade and/or vintage items, as such a wide array is not available elsewhere in such concentrated form AFAIK

smileyf1
3/1/16

I only ordered 4 times from this website, but I have never had a problem. Sellers were all professional, my items arrived fast and in good condition. Alot of items are also very unique and it's fun to browse. No complaints here, will be shopping some more on this website.

veronicas39
12/29/15

I've bought 2 things off etsy and each time had fast, courteous service and got exactly what I paid for. As a consumer you have to look at the SELLER. Whenever you buy online it's a bit of a risk, especially person-to-person and not from an established company, but if you take some care you should be ok.
Think of it like this- are you looking for something almost completely unique or something you can't/ haven't found elsewhere? If yes, give etsy a shot.

Tip for consumers: Do your research. Only buy from sellers with well written (i.e proper English) reviews. Make sure they have real, multiple photos of the product. If they have only have one or two items, consider buying from someone more established.

juliar34
11/26/15

Hey look at what I got for this thanksgiving.. I love my mother and I thought to thank her for her love. That's why without telling her I ordered "Statement Cuff Bracelet" from etsy's online store "footsoles24"
It's a handmade item, so it looks more beautiful. The more I see it, more I get influenced to it.
I got it at 15% discount of $33.92 & it is adjustable in size. Today I am gonna give it to her and I feels like - she surely love to have it. Isn't it amazing - yeah it is

alicep21
10/30/15

Umm.. Hey guys! I got Silver Oxidized Necklace which is worth $21.90 from etsy "footsoles24" store. Material used in this necklace are Gemstones, Glass, Synthetic Gemstones, Druzy, Agate.
This is a fabulous orange statement necklace. The necklace is beaded with orange beads and a replica of indian rupee coins of 50 paisa. This is a trendy necklace for awesome style.

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?