Review of Etsy

Tel: +1-718-855-7955
2018 Customer choice award

hollyr1
7/9/11

I love etsy! I have purchased some of the most unique items from amazingly talented people. I'm not sure what is not to like.

kams1
7/5/11

A great place to get cheap handmade stuff, including artworks! I love it. I make purchases at least once a week.

marys29
6/20/11

Wonderful sellers with first rate products. The administration is another whole matter altogether, however. They are all about the big. money making sellers, and very abusive to the little shops. I was warned that if a big money maker for etsy felt threatened or if you made them angry, etsy would run you off. This happened to both my daughter and two friends. My shop was closed down, or more accurately all of my items were removed on several occasions while they looked at my vintage items. This was after I returned a damaged purse to a high volume seller. My shop was eventually reinstated, but not for several weeks each time. They didn't refund the showcase fees I couldn't participate in either. I eventually closed my shop completely as I became sick and tired of their harassment. The abuse is horrible as is their abuse of power over sellers.

derekp1
6/14/11

I can't believe there are only 37 reviews for Etsy when it's become such an integral part of online shopping. It's an amazing online marketplace for custom, unique goods; things you can't get anywhere else. It's especially cool for geeks who have really specialized interests. All my experiences with vendors have been quality. Highly recommend checking out Etsy.

jusperg1
5/30/11

A great place to get unique handmade! I love to buy over there.
I have never tried to sell anything on etsy.com, however my friend was not pretty happy selling over there.

However as a buyer I'm very satisfied with this site, it offers unique items and artworks at cheap price.

whitneyt
5/25/11

I pride myself on being a great gift giver! etsy always has unique items that you aren't going to find just anywhere. I recently had a ton of close friends graduate law school and I found the best graduation gifts on etsy - from hand stamped collar stays and cuff links to custom stationary - great gifts and all at reasonable prices! I've been buying through etsy for a few years now and I've never had less than a stellar experience.

ab155
5/20/11

great site to find everything

laurac10
5/18/11

I was robbed of $340.00 when the items I ordered never arrived. The seller has ignored repeated e-mails and has posted a message on etsy about a partners illness, promising to fill the orders. I have been waiting more than two months. Etsy has no response.

fifiy
5/15/11

This is an amazing site of handmade goods, clothing and art. The artists are friendly and the prices are wonderful. Its Paypal supported so that you really can't go wrong here. You can have conversations with the artists through Etsy. If you are looking for a unique gift this is the site to visit regardless of whether you have a small budget or a big one.Check it out and have funt!

lolar1
5/12/11

etsy.com is awesome i got a truely unique purse from one of their vendors from somewhere outta the u.s, when i first learned this i was a little apprehensive, but my money/ information was safe, i payed via paypal and the vendor was so helpful with answering all of my questions. Good experience with them overall.

jennym6
4/11/11

I was one of their most loyal sellers. Had two shops packed with over 200 items in each. HUNDREDS of sales, many repeat customers.
But etsy has changed. They are getting stupider and greedier every second. They stopped listening to their customers. Complainers got muted! MUTED! I'm a PAYING CUSTOMER not a child. Soon after my little time out I got PERMA muted. Now decided it's time to move to Artfire, I TRIED to have a clearance sale. And now with no warning, both my shops have been shut down. I cannot even leave feedback to my last customers. Or mark their items on the way.
NO answers to support emails. (Dating back to last FEB over their privacy violation.) And... I'm finding more and more FORMER etsy people over on Artfire and other such sites.
NO.... etsy is not the friendly helpful site they once were. It was nice while it lasted, but it's over.

Go google etsy privacy or etsy resellers plenty of reading there. You'll see.

barbaraf7
4/5/11

Etsy does not monitor/police fraudulent interactions on its website very well. I have ordered from three vendors; had trouble with two. Had major trouble with Jennifer Hardin of Coveylee Creations who cashed my check for $125 in January and I have NOT received the merchandise yet despite promises it was being sent. I would not recommend this website .

jessicak3
3/31/11

I've had great experiences with sellers. However, you do need to be careful to weed out what is actually handmade/crafted and what is not.

teep
3/25/11

I have bought a few items from this site. They happen to have sellers who make cute headbands for children that are difficult to find elsewhere. The site is greatly flawed. One seller was extremely rude to me - I have written proof of this (seller "dara43"). This lady accepted my payment for an item and 2 weeks later, I asked her the status because I did not receive it in the mail. She responded to me, "Well, that's funny, because this listing clearly said RESERVED FOR RITA This listing is reserved for Rita and will ship with her order. Do not purchase if you are not Rita!
So I guess I shipped Rita a free headband with her order, because you purchased a listing that was reserved for another customer. So as this was your error and not mine, since you purchased an item that was not reserved for (my name), it was reserved for Rita, and sorry, you are not Rita, and you do not wish to pay the $2.00 which is the balance due for the shipping plus the 35 cents that paypal will then charge me for accepting your $2.00 payment, I did honor your wish to cancel your order, and per my Etsy shop policies for a customer cancelling an order in the link below your order has been cancelled. Is your name Rita? I am running a business." Anyhow, her bad attitude goes on, she charges me $5 for canceling an item I never recd but paid for - I had to go through Paypal to get it back my $5. "Dara43" then left me bad feedback on Etsy, closed the transaction, so I was unable to leave her any feedback. I go to Etsy for help on the issue, it has been 2 months and I keep getting, we are working on it. The last time Etsy Help said that was 1 month ago - I go to follow up on the matter today, and my case has been closed without being resolved. It's not a big deal for me to have bad feedback on Etsy because I am not a seller but it's the principle. I was treated horribly by seller Dara43 and customer service at Etsy is also horrible.

genevievec
3/19/11

I agree with the warning. If you have a problem with a seller, you are on your own. Here they have made all this money from you (the fees that seller's pay on every transaction), but they don't do anything to help you if you have a problem with a seller. There is no protection at all. In the end I feel totally burned by Etsy. According to them, it is their policy" to have the buyer and the seller work it out themselves". Boy, do they take the easy way out or what. EXTRA WARNING: Never do lay-aways with a seller on Etsy, always pay by Pay Pal and make sure the transaction goes through the payment system, AND BEWARE OF SOME SELLERS SHIPPING POLICIES. With some of the sellers, if an item arrives broken, it is YOUR claim with UPS. You don't get your money back until the seller gets the money back from UPS. The only thing is - they drag their heals in sending in the claim, and dangle you on a chain waiting. I could go on....

maggiec1
3/10/11

I closed my Etsy shop - they treat their sellers like cr@p. You can be muted or even kicked off if you complain about their policies. Do NOT sign up with your regular email - they are now partnering with Facebook and mining personal data at full speed.

Oh, and while there are still many talented sellers on there making beautiful things by hand, the site is now over run by fake "handmade" stuff from overseas factories. Etsy makes a lot of money off these fakes, so they are largely ignored even though they are breaking Etsy TOU.

Buyers beware!

kelleyk
3/7/11

I have bought tons of items from etsy.com- mostly with no problems. Any shipping (broken or missing items) issues have been resolve nicely with the sellers. Only one time I had to contact Etsy help on a seller that was not responding to my emails about an item I paid for and didnt receive (for months). Etsy helped resolve this issue with the seller and I received my items.

dicks5
3/6/11

This is really worst site ever! they charge so much for renew buyer's products but worst. First not much people know this website and support is terrible. so many problem of site. They need to upgrade their site and marketing too.

km10
2/27/11

Love all the wonderful handmade pottery on this site, and although I am a potter myself, I love buying and collecting other artists work. I made some absolutely phenomonal purchases, and at prices less than I would see at a local art fair. I am currently awaiting a large decorative centerpiece bowl I bought during the past week. It's like christmas all year long!

krushedcupcakei
12/14/10

I have never had a bad buy on Etsy, but as a seller I found it to be very frustrating. Etsy is moving more towards a Social site and could care less about 95% of the Shops there. It's very sad to see, it was very hard to close my shop but it had to be done. Etsy was a beautiful dream that went down the corp. crapper! If you are thinking about opening a shop there check out Callin Out on Etsy Blog ! If you fall into the very narrow Etsy Brand they will feature you over & over & over- but if you think for yourself Etsy is not for you.

scarlettb
12/7/10

I'm puzzled by the rave reviews of this site. Are they posted by sellers in disguise...or friends of sellers? I have made 4 or 5 purchases on this site. I had problems with delivery on two of those. One I was able to work out by filing a claim with Paypal. I filed a "non-delivery" report with Etsy on the other. A pretty useless waste of time. All that's happened is a automatically generated email to the seller. Etsy's customer support is non-existant. I've never recieved any help from them. They responded to an email once. It took almost two weeks to get and didn't say much of anything. It most definately had a "brush off" tone to it. I doubt this will ever be resolved. Where is the support in customer support? Why are sellers allowed to make a sale & never send it? No recourse, no repercussions. Sad. I will not be using Etsy again and I would not recommend them to anyone.

jemmm
12/1/10

I used Etsy for the first time last week. I made two purchases both of which were processed and shipped promptly. The Christmas cards I bought are adorable and I can't wait to send them out. Great quality. My body butter will arrive this week and I look forward to using it. When I had questions prior to the purchase, my questions were answered quickly and with the utmost courtesy. I plan to do my holiday shopping on Etsy in an effort to support small businesses. Please note that every seller is individual and unique so I could've just as easily had a crappy experience. If I did have bad customer service or shipping issues, I'd blame the seller not Etsy.

laurak1
11/30/10

I recently used ETSY for the first time. I received very poor customer service from a seller and canceled the order. She was angry after I posted a negative comment that stated _ "poor customer service, canceled order: She responded with an extremely hostile public comment that included divulging my personal name - supposedly against ETSY feedback policy. I jut looked again on the site today and noted that my negative feedback comment was deleted! Now I know why all the sellers receive 100% positive customer ratings. I would never use this site again.

bellam
11/21/10

I ordered some items from a seller with a store on this free site for people selling crafts. The store name is Willow Zen and it is on etsy.com. I paid for my order with Paypal and never got the items I purchased. I contacted the seller and she said that she sent the items, but had no proof that she actually sent them. I told her that I never got the items and she refused to assist me at all. I had to file a dispute with Paypal and I am still waiting to be refunded the money totaling $188. I heard good things about etsy.com, so I'm sure that there are good, honest sellers on there, but I was ripped off. At least Paypal has buyer protection when things like this occur. I'm not sure if I will attempt to order from etsy.com again. The seller had a good rating, so I did not expect for the seller to be fraudulent. Buyers be very careful when ordering from this site!

cheryls2
11/3/10

Great line of different products.. Great selection. Great shipping. Awesome

914 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?