Review of Etsy

Tel: +1-718-855-7955
2018 Customer choice award

dicks5
3/6/11

This is really worst site ever! they charge so much for renew buyer's products but worst. First not much people know this website and support is terrible. so many problem of site. They need to upgrade their site and marketing too.

km10
2/27/11

Love all the wonderful handmade pottery on this site, and although I am a potter myself, I love buying and collecting other artists work. I made some absolutely phenomonal purchases, and at prices less than I would see at a local art fair. I am currently awaiting a large decorative centerpiece bowl I bought during the past week. It's like christmas all year long!

krushedcupcakei
12/14/10

I have never had a bad buy on Etsy, but as a seller I found it to be very frustrating. Etsy is moving more towards a Social site and could care less about 95% of the Shops there. It's very sad to see, it was very hard to close my shop but it had to be done. Etsy was a beautiful dream that went down the corp. crapper! If you are thinking about opening a shop there check out Callin Out on Etsy Blog ! If you fall into the very narrow Etsy Brand they will feature you over & over & over- but if you think for yourself Etsy is not for you.

scarlettb
12/7/10

I'm puzzled by the rave reviews of this site. Are they posted by sellers in disguise...or friends of sellers? I have made 4 or 5 purchases on this site. I had problems with delivery on two of those. One I was able to work out by filing a claim with Paypal. I filed a "non-delivery" report with Etsy on the other. A pretty useless waste of time. All that's happened is a automatically generated email to the seller. Etsy's customer support is non-existant. I've never recieved any help from them. They responded to an email once. It took almost two weeks to get and didn't say much of anything. It most definately had a "brush off" tone to it. I doubt this will ever be resolved. Where is the support in customer support? Why are sellers allowed to make a sale & never send it? No recourse, no repercussions. Sad. I will not be using Etsy again and I would not recommend them to anyone.

jemmm
12/1/10

I used Etsy for the first time last week. I made two purchases both of which were processed and shipped promptly. The Christmas cards I bought are adorable and I can't wait to send them out. Great quality. My body butter will arrive this week and I look forward to using it. When I had questions prior to the purchase, my questions were answered quickly and with the utmost courtesy. I plan to do my holiday shopping on Etsy in an effort to support small businesses. Please note that every seller is individual and unique so I could've just as easily had a crappy experience. If I did have bad customer service or shipping issues, I'd blame the seller not Etsy.

laurak1
11/30/10

I recently used ETSY for the first time. I received very poor customer service from a seller and canceled the order. She was angry after I posted a negative comment that stated _ "poor customer service, canceled order: She responded with an extremely hostile public comment that included divulging my personal name - supposedly against ETSY feedback policy. I jut looked again on the site today and noted that my negative feedback comment was deleted! Now I know why all the sellers receive 100% positive customer ratings. I would never use this site again.

bellam
11/21/10

I ordered some items from a seller with a store on this free site for people selling crafts. The store name is Willow Zen and it is on etsy.com. I paid for my order with Paypal and never got the items I purchased. I contacted the seller and she said that she sent the items, but had no proof that she actually sent them. I told her that I never got the items and she refused to assist me at all. I had to file a dispute with Paypal and I am still waiting to be refunded the money totaling $188. I heard good things about etsy.com, so I'm sure that there are good, honest sellers on there, but I was ripped off. At least Paypal has buyer protection when things like this occur. I'm not sure if I will attempt to order from etsy.com again. The seller had a good rating, so I did not expect for the seller to be fraudulent. Buyers be very careful when ordering from this site!

cheryls2
11/3/10

Great line of different products.. Great selection. Great shipping. Awesome

tiffanyp
10/26/10

Etsy is a wonderful world of home-made products that yourself (and others) can buy or sell.

Imagine a crafty ebay.... exactly!

It's safe to use (paypal), it lets you search by genre or by typing- but, you know, people will still overprice their items. Yet you can send them a message- most of them will let you haggle a little bit!

margretp
9/26/10

A friend of mine turned me on to Jeanette's Patisserie on Etsy. Their store is actually at http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanettespatisserie and I gotta tell ya, their sandwich cookies are so freakin tasty I've converted to these healthier cookies... yes, finally healthy AND delicious cookies can now be purchased! They also have these brownies with real whiskey and ganache! Can you believe it! We ordered 2 of their Organic Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake's for our office party and in 2.5 seconds BOTH were gone... time to reorder...for myself!

winniew
9/2/10

Never had a bad experience. Bought a monster towel, child's bow tie, and some crafting goods. really good site for unique baby and childrens goods.

natn
8/29/10

great customer service

jerryv
6/8/10

Poorly run online marketplace with arbitrary rules enforecement. No response is standard operating procedure from the Etsy support staff. They seem to have no business or marketing acumen whatsoever. Appears entirely staffed with wannabe hipsters and stoners. They can shut down a seller's store without warning or viable reason. No appeal process or inquiry. Thus, they can and do confiscate all the sellers product images and descriptions, costing the seller thousands of hours of labor and money. Don't forget that the seller has already paid for a contracted listing of a specified duration. Etsy allows unstable buyers to run amok who make multiple purchases with no intention of paying. Seller concerns are routinely ignored. Do yourself a favor and use Bonanzle or other online marketplaces instead.

jessicam3
5/17/10

Love this place to buy unique items!

niconal
5/15/10

I love this site. My family has ordered multiple items from this site. We have loved everything we've ordered and received great customer service from all sellers on this site. Would highly recommend :)

candym
4/10/10

love this site! I order items from them all the time. Unique handmade gifts!

scotts1
1/19/10

I don't really care much for the handcrafted jewelry-- but the woodworking is really good work. For anyone who is into carving and solid wood furniture they seem to have a nice selection. Rare these days for anyone to sell hand carved furniture with mass market Ikea everywhere destroying the market for wood carvers.

heathers3
1/18/10

These are just the cutest handmade gifts ever!!! Just love them. I haven't ordered anything yet but I put in a request for valentines day.

kimc1
1/18/10

For the most part my purchases have been wonderful. I've had some beautiful clothes made, and have bought many great gifts.

A few complaints: they give the sellers 100% positive feedback status even when they have some negatives or neutrals. I don't like that, they seem slanted towards to sellers. I also don't like if I'm checking feedback that I can't sort the negatives and positives - you have to scroll forever to find them. I also think there should be more space so sellers can post photos.

Despite the complaints I use Etsy all the time - waiting for it to improve!

athenae
1/12/10

great site!!! all products handmade or vintage!!! great prices! unique products! very friendly buyers from all over the world! custom orders! security system!! (so no seller can steal your money without a punishment, and so no one does.)
i buy from etsy very often and i am 100% satisfied! i recommend it without any doupt!

jenj
11/6/09

ABSOLUTELY love love love this website. The obvious reason for me loving it must be my art teacher side but who doesnt like homemade things. I usually shop through the jewelry but its great to support an artist whos selling their own stuff. It can be original or just super cute and you gotta have it! Some of the stuff can be pricey (because it is homemade) but thats when you just admire it from the computer and walk away.

ctt
10/21/09

This site is great for finding original art at fair prices.

juliak
7/21/09

I heart etsy! My home would look so bleh without it. You could buy anything from artwork to jewelry to baby clothes there. Very easy to use site, many features other shopping sites don't have such as ability to search for local sellers and ways to request custom items in the alchemy section. Etsy sellers are not your typical seller. They have super communication skills and are willing to go out of their way to make you satisfied. I usually get hand written notes and free samples when my purchase arrives. I love this site so much, I got inspired to start my own store on etsy and found an incredible amount of resources to help me get started and start selling.

audreys
6/5/08

Fabulous source for unique handmade goodies - This super cute site is a marketplace for handmade items. There is a laundry list of categories (incl. art, housewares, toys, etc.), and you can set up your own shop to sell your creations, or browse hundreds of thousands of shops showcasing theirs. Bonus points for the alchemy section, where you can request something be custom made.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?