Review of Discogs

Tel: 1.467.041 2010
compliance@discogs.com

carlose27
1/9/19

Like Blu-ray.com, this is the place to build your collection of music on CD's, vinyl and audio cassettes. Even MP3 files are listed sometimes. This is the place I use to showcase my CD titles. I have not used the marketplace to buy or sell and therefore I cannot comment on that.

msh11
10/25/18

Decency prevents me from using language I'd like to use about this stupid site. Many issues from trivial to annoying could be listed here. The actual process of buying something is fairly easy. Marginally more complicated than eBay. It is the listing of items to sell that's a horribly finicky, fussy, exasperating, humiliating, cumbersome and tedious process. If your item already exists in their database, again not too cumbersome. The real frustration is entering something that is NOT in the database where this site really breaks down. The details required are vast and the slightest error gets you a pop-up on what's wrong and if that fix gets through the system and something else is still wrong, you get an email the next day telling you how to correct it. Well, that ain't so easy. The email merely uses their own jargon to tell you what to do and mostly refers you to an online document or a suggestion to go to the forum. It is a "noreply@" email, so you can never interact with the person sending it to help you clarify something. In fact there are no humans you can actually write to for help or info. You must read a document or search through hundreds of thousands of posts on their forum.

Then there's inconsistencies. On one Russian composer the name had to be entered in Cyrillic script. His English equivalent name popped up as non-existent and could not be entered. But there were multiple other listings WITH the English version of the name. Want another: a city needed to be appended to the name of a performing group. I did so. A few days later another editing message arrive that I should not list the city. This now counted as "two" faults on MY part. I could go on and on.OK, so you've spent an hour (my average time for a new listing) inputting photos, data, names, and what they call "credits". These range from a sound engineer to a solo bassoonist, hundreds of them in fact. Now again, ANY inaccuracy and you get another email the next day with more of the same. If you get too many of these "correction" emails, your are in a sense humiliated into a blacklisted situation by what they call a Contributor Improvement Program. It locks you out of doing any more editing or submitting until people "vote" on your submissions. This is so stupid as to be a disqualifier in its own right. All I want to do is sell something and make a few dollars. I don't have time to read other members' listings and vote on whether they are correct or not. But members are encouraged, almost mandated to do so. This is because your new listing will NOT show up in the database until it is voted on. If fact you are encouraged to post on the forum asking for someone - anyone - to review your listing and vote on it. What kind of crap is this? Thus you are locked in a sort of Limbo where you are stuck and can't do much of anything.

Even deleting my account was a tedious process. The only good news today is that I'm FINALLY deleted and done with this maddening site. Sadly, I wish there were other sites to list, buy and sell CD's, records, etc. Sure you got eBay and Amazon but one is timed and the other requires you to create a "store" for $40/month (!). That's a lot to sell a couple dozen items. We need a far simpler version of Discogs.

davidw1049
8/22/18

I have bought 50+ records from almost all different sellers and have never had one problem. Efficient, reliable website with arguably the best record collection online for sale.

electroc
8/9/18

Discogs deleted my negative comment but not the seller

As he wrote and another here in the obvious and as it seems that is true "they once wiped ALL of the negatives from huge sellers, this was well documented, just check their forums". obviously this is their tactic for sellers selling from a huge number of vinyls and up .
And also this is TRUE : Nearly all of the sellers have 99% plus feedback COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC !!!

The 99.998% of the Discogs buyers they have not discovered or bothered to find Discogs rewiews ,

if they had discovered or dealt with it, Discogs itself would not be able to answer so many lies, and secondly, it would have been essential to make prices in the world trade in vinyl more normal .

Also the very most buyers just put a positive comment not always out of thanks but from diplomacy commonly "fear" ... 100 markets - orders other and did not even get him a negative experience once "???" JUST A LIE

Sellers do not mistakes never , only the buyers !!!

patrickk138
8/6/18

I recently had my first experience as a buyer on Discogs. Unfortunate to say it wasn't a pleasant one.
Long story short, a seller cashed the money and did not ship the order. Delays, excuses, more delays (weeks), more excuses and very poor communication. Ended up cancelling the order altogether and resorting to a credit card charge dispute. Perhaps not directly Discogs's fault but certainly a tremendous lack of control and enforcement of their 'Sales & Transaction Policy'
Unfortunately, bad news spread faster than good news and -lesson learned- I will no longer be purchasing on this site.
What baffles me most is that that particular seller had very positive reviews (over 95%)
This lack of oversight is a killer to the Discogs platform since I am sure there are reputable and honest sellers willing to do good business.

Lesson learned. Buy local.

stewartc46
7/31/18

Nearly all of the sellers have 99% plus feedback (completely unrealistic, you shpuld see the garbage that gets slung around on there, because if a buyer leaves a feedback without first contacting a seller Discogs will remove it every single time. It is a loophole built into their TOS.

They pretend they are supporting the music scene but their site is rife with bootlegs (stolen material).. Artists have complained about this for years but it wasnt until a year ago they felt enough pressure to start to remove countefeit and stolen material, but only when they are forced to. Do a search for unofficial, you will still find 10's of 1000s of items for sale, and those are just the ones that are tagged unofficial, the obvious ones.

They have welcomed drop sellers with open arms so if you want a specific pressing you are rolling the dice. and if you get the wrong item (there is a high probablity you will) and leave an honest fb its wiped away. They once wiped ALL of the negatives from a huge seller, this was well documented, just check their forums.

If you try to contact staff via the sute(there is no phone number or email address) they are curt and unhelpful, if they reply at all, unless you are a big moneymaker for them.

These arent my opinions, check oujt their forums, they are full of these complaints and many more each day. Thye know they have the market cornered on vinyl now, all that matters is the cash. Hopefully more sites like reverblp, where you can actualy se the exact item you are buying (what a concept!) pop up and force them to change.

Their databadse is fantastic but spend money there at yoiur own peril.

jenj42
6/19/18

Google my independent lables first release. Its being sold on this site with, no license, and completely wrong info. Looks like Ill have to get BMI. AND HARRY FOX involved. - Jen Jones. Stupid Records. Shy Girl Publishing.

nicks154
6/11/18

Someone in their tech support dept. (aka Help & Support) isn't doing their job and should be fired. If you have a problem on Friday, forget about it til Monday because no ones going to help. I've had problems marked as "Solved", even when it wasn't. Then when you complain about it, they lie and say that you marked it "Solved".

If theyre not doing their job right, who knows what else they might be doing. Discogs management should seriously look into this problem because it could be a liability down the road. Especially, since they plan on processing credit card payments. This type of behavior is very shady and could lead to other criminal activity.

leeo31
5/14/18

A seller with multiple complaints remains on site after multiple refusals to issue refund even though they agree to do so in official communication via the transaction record.
Customer service is beyond worthless. No venue for selling vinyl could possible be worse than the unscrupulous sellers they do nothing to police. Had to make several complaints before blowing you off. AVOID LIKE A PLAGUE.

davem269
4/12/18

This is a site that Punishes the good guys rewards the criminals. They punish people that makes them money (Sellers) and reward no feedback scammers

ishmaelm2
3/15/18

Have been selling on this site for a few years. It may not get the traffic of AMZ or EB, but the fees aren't high and there is much less B.S. to deal with from their customer service dept. I wish that I sold more on this site, but overall I'm happy with all that they provide. Hoping soon that they will create a site for selling new & used games. Way to go DISCOGS!!!

chrisl288
3/15/18

So I've been using discogs.com since Nov of 2017. At first I was kind of shy to use it because I wasn't to keen on a new website to buy stuff from. So I started searching my music interests and was able to find pretty much everything on any band and whatnot. What's cool in my opinion on this site is being able to see what date the records or cassettes were released. The details of all items are usually pretty good ( at least what I look up ). Also getting to see other things the artist released that you didn't know about in another country is cool because all countries usually have different styles or ways of doing the same album ( changing album covers or with way the records look ).

The buying aspect of discogs.com is pretty straight forward and goes with a rating system, so if you have someone with low reviews you don't buy from. That's pretty straight forward. I would also suggest using Paypal as well so if something happens they have a pretty good policy to get your money back/resolve issues.

As a seller aspects I don't really have one considering I have only used this site to purchase off of sellers. As of this review ive had about 50 ish records bought off discogs. 1 was a different variant of record that I asked for and I guess I could consider myself lucky or I know how to choose well :)

trevors51
12/16/17

Ok, a lot of negative stuff here.. yes ALL sites have their issues. Sellers are driving this site, so if you're buying from someone who is a crap seller you'll likely get a crap product. Yes, this does happen on Doscogs, but guess what? it also happens on Ebay, Musicstack and any other music selling platform. Why? Grading is (but shouldn't be) subjective. That means someone has different eyesight than yours, grades under different light.. ect ect ect.. lots of varables. The sellers who know what they are doing are easily noted with very good overall feedback, whilst the ones who have no clue, or as nearsighted as a board typically have poor reviews. YOU make your own assumptions by reading reviews on the seller prior to buying, ask questions, review shipping policies and return policies they have. Get that opinion of them prior to placing your order. Pay with Paypal so you have that protection. Yes, there are sellers who over grade, as stated I have returned MANY records on Ebay for this issue also.. Find sellers you trust and buy from them.

johns2541
12/12/17

I've been using Discogs to buy and sell for 7 years with very very few issues. I'm careful to check sellers have a good feedback ratio, an established sales history, and always use Paypal so I'm covered by their buyer guarantee if not happy with the grading and the seller doesn't co-operate. Out of 150 purchases I've been unhappy with 2, and returned only 1 as the other was borderline and no big deal. There are bad sellers out there, on any site, but it does surprise me when as a seller I have 1700+ positive feedback, 3 negatives from people who had a problem with the postal service not the record, and were provided with a full refund at my expense (as directed by Paypal seller agreement it is my responsibility to make sure the record is delivered, or refund) just how many people are super suspicious when buying from me purely because I sell on Discogs purely because they have had bad experiences with others. How on earth would/could I have a 99.8% positive over 7 years if I was a rip off merchant? Buyers need to remember Discogs is an open market for 3rd party sellers so if you use your due diligence (read: you NEED to) you should have few problems.

Aside from the buying and selling aspect their database is really annoying!! Open for anyone to come and sabotage a release, so you list a copy of a certain record for sale, or purchase a copy and then find some fool had gone and changed the entry from CD to LP, or original to reissue, nobody spotted the edit was b/s and you now sold/bought something you didn't want. That really annoys the cr*p out of me hence the 3 star rating.

davidy64
10/26/17

I and another 77 people have been scammed by the same seller on Discogs https://www.discogs.com/sell/seller_feedback/tirnt

And they have done nothing.... By allowing sellers to demand bank transfers as payment, they have opened up there site to scammers and it will only get worse until they take responsibility, which currently they are ignoring...SHAME ON YOU DISCOGS

jerryh100
10/13/17

Take this as both a review and call to action of sorts, I'll keep them both short.

I've been buying on Discogs for about six months now. My typical transactions go like this...I buy a record based on the listed condition, usually Near Mint, but on occasion Very Good Plus; about 5% of the time my expectations are actually exceeded; and about 20% of the time I'm satisfied, to varying degrees, with the condition of the record . This leaves a huge majority of transactions (roughly 75%) that range from unacceptable to infuriating depending on how badly the seller's condition grading squares with (or doesn't square with) reality. I've received "Near Mint" records with huge gauges in them and other "Near Mint" and "Very Good Plus" records with a litany of other condition issues that, by definition, should not under any circumstance, be found on such records. Not to mention that they are nearly universally filthy (disgusting even). When I receive these types of records, which is most of the time, I contact the seller immediately. Basically, their response is always the same.."I'm really sorry, I don't know how that could have happened. Let me give you a full refund, you keep the record." In other words, here's your money back and a small (and totally useless) gift, now please keep you mouth shut and don't give me negative feedback. This same situation happened so often, I began contacting the seller ahead of time and asked them to confirm condition or cancel my order. That has totally solved the entire problem and now everything is perfect - NOT!!! I still get crap most of the time. Sometimes sellers won't confirm the condition and will cancel the order which I appreciate since it saves me some aggravation.

If you're still reading this (thank you), you must be asking yourself, "then why do you bother?". The simple answer is this, Discogs has an amazing selection music at typically reasonable prices. I use it as a supplement to my local record shops and thrift stores. You have to wade through a ton of crap, but get luck sometime. It's totally frustrating, annoying, and can drive me totally crazy, but unfortunately, there's nothing quite like it and I at least see the promise of what it could be.

My call to action: HOLD SELLERS ACCOUNTABLE. As I mentioned, I ask sellers to confirm condition prior to shipping - consider that you're proverbial two strikes. If you do that and still get rubbish, DON'T BE BOUGHT OFF, LEAVE FAIR BUT NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

I'm hopeful that if enough people start doing this, Discogs can turn this thing around. Personally, I have one foot out the door and another on a banana peel so I'm another bad transaction or two away from swearing off of it.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure my experiences are similar to a lot of other buyers. I would be very suspicious of anyone who claims all is good at Discogs.

arnolds38
8/25/17

Any person who feels the need to defend Discogs, well, you are either a seller or you are somehow directly associated with that business. People who believe that problems on Discogs are created by the buyers either refusing to look at the facts, or have no idea how logic works. If I am a buyer, then my job, plain and simple is to BUY! If a problem arises from the fact that I bought a record, then guess what, the problem is not coming from the buyer, but rather, from the person whose only job and responsibility is to sell! Problems that come up on Discogs are directly associated with the sellers - period.

garyf80
8/19/17

Discogs is a waste of time. the sellers do not know how to judge quality and most are fake. If you want to create listings for Ebay, they are great for copying. Besides that I find them completely useless. don't bother, unless you want to get stuck in their disorganized mess. Buy scratched, skipping, ruined records sold as Mint.

jennettw
8/12/17

where did the "old" discos database go.....
It is very hard to look up items now.

not user friendly at all.......I have downloaded your app, but have been playing
with it all morning......

peterc187
8/7/17

1) Terrible input system. 2) High fees 3) Ridiculous stock photos 4) Incorrect data re: label numbers and editions. 5) I stopped buying anything on this site because almost everything was completely overgraded / unplayable or simply the wrong record! 6) People think Discogs is a better alternative than Ebay - the truth is they're both rip off sites.

williaml171
7/27/17

I added a cd to cart. When it came to purchasing it I couldn't bring myself to do it!!! I can't obligate myself to a BLIND purchase. When you place the order there is no shipping cost provided. Later the seller informs the buyer how much shipping will be and by Discogs policy you have committed and are obligated to pay no matter how much it is!!!!! I can't do it!!!!
Has Discogs ever heard of any other website in the world that has full purchase price included at the point of purchase?????

guryv
7/17/17

Great experiences with buyers and sellers. Don t believe the negative hype. In my experience people that have a problem with Discogs as been created by themselves

franciso8
7/4/17

Many items are listed with no shipping price. You have to order then wait for an invoice before you know how much it will cost.

The first time I ordered a record I waited a few days, got the invoice and paid it. However it looked like the payment didn't go through so I paid again. I looked at my Paypal account and it turned out I had sent two payments. This is the first time this has happened to me on any site. If this happened on eBay you would get a message saying you had already paid. The fact that you can pay for an item more than once is ridiculous. I can't think of any other site where this could happen.

I gave them another chance and thought this wouldn't happen again. I paid for a record and a few hours later got an invoice even though I'd already paid. This site is confusing as hell and not remotely user friendly. If and when I figure out what's happening with this record I think I'll quit while I'm ahead and delete my account.

One more thing - there are no pictures of the actual item you're buying. You just have to hope the seller is being honest when he/she says the item is in excellent condition.

Update - to add to the above, the users in the forum are very rude, or at least the ones that replied to my query. I was told "the problem is in front of the computer", the meaning being that I'm an idiot who can't operate a computer. No, the problem is the site. I've ordered hundreds of items online and I have never come across another site that would even let you pay for an item twice. Also I offered a criticism of the website, not of any of the members, and I don't appreciate personal insults.

davidr373
5/14/17

I have bought and sold off Discogs - they demand hefty fees but do almost nothing for it - if you have any problems with scammer buyers you're on your own - Discogs simply refer you to PayPal - if some mental case buyer leaves u bad feedback unfairly Discogs doesn't give a crap - Discogs is good in theory but they offer almost nothing for the fees they charge - eBay offers much more support and help

simono7
4/2/17

Use ebay. It's safer. Negative feedback is routinely removed. So it is difficult to find a genuine seller. I got ripped off. Had negative review of seller taken down within 24 hours. Really shocked how little customer support there is. I've given up getting refund. I will stick with ebay

If you are a victim of DISCOGS scam,please write to consumer protection of Oregon state.I can`t post the link(due SJ guidelines) but you can search on Google and find the website.

By mircea p.

If you are DG submitter and have many releases ,sooner or later DISCOGS will put you on CIP meaning you `ll be banned to post new LPs untill you you `ll gain enough correct VOTES from privilleged users(who have a right to vote if submitters posted correct realeses ).It is a scam tactic to force submitters to bribe other users to vote correct and CIP will be removed from them.Beware ! DISCOGS is a synonim of WORLD WIDE MUSIC SCAM.As you see the company doesn`t respond at SJ negative reviews.

By mircea p.

Questions? Get answers from the Discogs staff and other customers.

Discogs?