Review of ConsumerLab

333 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, NY 10605
Tel: 1-914-722-9149
subscription@consumerlab.com
Get immediate access to ConsumerLab.com's reports!
Join Now

1 star

sharonr119
10/13/17

I have used this site for several years. the information is thorough and reliable. I've been surprised at some items that have failed. to me, it is essential in order to determine what brand to buy.

davee47
9/11/17

I had been considering subscribing for about a year but couldn't make up my mind whether or not to spend the money. I finally did subscribe a few months ago. I believe it is a sound investment.

I often read about how this or that supplement will perform some sort of miracle for you. ConsumerLab is an impartial source to get the truth about supplements so you can avoid wasting money. If you decide a supplement might be helpful, ConsumerLab will let you know which brands contain the ingredients they're supposed to.

In addition, they are good about responding to questions. For example, I had a question about whether collagen supplements contained tyramine. I wrote to ConsumerLab to ask about that, and Jared replied the next day with a clear answer.

I highly recommend subscribing.
Dave

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Thank you, Dave. We're glad that you are enjoying CL!
christopherc119
8/31/17

Consumers expect free content, and yes, there IS plenty of good information on the web free of charge. But, in the world of nutritional supplements one must sort thru a mountain of misleading infomercials, anecdotal or superficial evidence, and bad science in order to find useful and credible information. Even if you have the necessary background in science or medicine to do so, who has the time?
ConsumerLab makes an enormous amount of good information readily available and should be required reading for anyone interested in taking supplements of any kind.

Eric C., M.D.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
We're glad that you enjoy ConsumerLab.com. Thank you for posting your comments.
ericac43
4/30/17

ConsumerLab has earned my trust by their responsible and thorough evaluation of products. I appreciate the huge amount of work they do to inform the public about products we use and depend on. An individual could not afford to do the amount of research and testing they do for us. If only the companies would be so honest in their advertising... Thank you ConsumerLab, you have saved me money, time, and worry.

rinaj1
4/7/17

Have found often helpful information about products I eat daily, and about multivitamins. I am very thankful for this. Now I am sure I eat the right chocolate, have the right oats, the right fish-oil capsules and that also for a cheap price! Really useful! Also I get advice on many topics that are helpful for me.

alank47
3/22/17

ConsumerLab provides to supplement users precisely what is needed. The product reviews and additional information have proved invaluable to me. As an example, CL rated the NOW's Red Yeast Rice as barely containing any red yeast rice statins. I had wondered why my cholesterol numbers hadn't declined with its use. I switched to Cholestene's RYR product and saw dramatic results. Not surprisingly, CL rated this product as providing more than the amount listed on the label per serving. I'm not promoting Cholestene, but rather promoting the test results from CL and how they benefitted me.

johnp497
2/26/17

As a licensed acupuncturist, I need good, unbiased information on the safety and effectiveness of the nutritional supplements my patients have been taking. But there are very few reliable sites on the internet that can provide such information, given the ubiquitous presence of the supplement industry on the world wide web. Too much information on the internet is intended to promote increased consumption of supplements, and it is virtually impossible to find good information on supplement risks. Enter Consumerlab.com, which provides solid, evidence-based information without marketing hype, and is never afraid to talk about the potential for harm. I find the daily Q and A's particularly useful, since they reflect the questions that patients typically ask in my office. I strongly recommend this site to all healthcare professionals seeking to provide their patients with honest, pragmatic advice on risks and benefits of nutritional supplements.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Thank you very much for sharing that, John. We are very glad that you appreciate the work we are doing. We appreciate your support.
donnai5
2/22/17

I have subscribed to CL for many years. It has been a constant source of up to date credible and educational information. CL provides links/footnotes to it's sources. There are no testimonial or slanted opinions. CL is clear and concise. As a nurse practitioner, I appreciate the detail and science. I have recommended CL to my family, friends and patients. Another plus: NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

chrisl202
2/15/17

I had heard about consumerlab several years ago dealing with there rating of consumer health and nutritional products. I have enjoyed using the website to obtain information regarding purchases that I would like to make and other info that I would like to know. I have found them to be quite beneficial. I believe that they are the best in supplying correct information to the public and are on a firm foundation in their research and analysis. I look forward to many more years of their quality research and writings. I had one question that I had needed answered and got that answer within 2 minutes of asking it to consumerlab from Evelyn.

richardh186
8/19/16

I am a chiropractor and like the fact that I can look up quality of supplements.
I recommend the site to my patients.

chrism252
5/5/16

A message to ConsumerLabs.com just because I've used & felt for so long that they were a such a good organization, and I wanted to tell 'em so and thank them...

Dear ConsumerLab.

Of all of the many subscriptions I have had r/t health, yours has been one of the most valuable.

Thank-you for your work and for this service.

I don't know where else the public could go for true (independently research-based) information about what we are buying (especially supplements).

The public is just trying to be healthy and you protect us from gov (special interest influence) and industry compromise / ignorance.

Thank-you, Again!

Sincerely,
Chris, RN, BSN

ronf39
5/5/16

Dear sirs,

I just wanted to express how pleased I am with the quality of information in your newsletters. This information is available nowhere else as far as I know.
I am very happy to see that you are testing products relevant to health-oriented demographics such as those found in health food stores (like Whole Foods) or
websites (like I-Herb).

I am happily referring your website to my circle of influence.

I trust in your continued good work.

An enthusiastic subscriber,

leslies55
4/10/16

As a registered dietitian & certified diabetes educator, I highly value consumer labs reviews to advise and respond to family, friends, and patients regarding use of quality supplements.

marilynd16
4/5/16

Invaluable from the first time I discovered the site. We do not buy any supplement without checking here first.
In addition to the clear and easily accessible chart of test results based on lab analysis of actual samples bought are relevant discussions of issues and research results from credible sources.
CL allows us to discover actual ingredients, including those not mentioned by the manufacturer, the best quality and the best price supplement appropriate for our needs.

ritaw15
4/2/16

I needed help with opening my subcription to ConsumerLab. I e-mailed them for help and quickly got responses which enabled me to open my subscription. I thought my subscription had expired and that's why I couldn't open it, but I was wrong. Now I not only get excellent information from them, but I am very pleased with the service when I request assistance.

lynnk37
3/28/16

I first heard of ConsumerLab.com on Dr. Oz. The research that this organization provides in invaluable. I lecture on medical topics and CL is a priceless resource for me.

jimw95
3/25/16

I have Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I have tried to find my way through all the traditional and modern

jeffryk3
3/13/16

i've been subscribing to consumerlab for years. most people are apparently unaware that supplements are NOT fda regulated. what's on the label may bear little or no relation to what's inside the bottle. when it comes to supplements, you really don't know what you're buying- and you may be buying things like lead or arsenic contamination. btw a few months ago there was a story in the nytimes about the unreliability of vitamin supplements purchased from large, well known retailers. consumerlab buys items through normal retail channels and sends them to independent labs to find out what's really there. an invaluable service.

sunnyp4
2/25/16

I have been a member of this web-based service for two years and have renewed my membership for additional years. ConsumerLab fully delivers its promise: to identify the best quality health and nutritional products through independent testing. I'm a university professor and I found ConsumerLab reviews scientifically and technically accurate. Furthermore, the results are effectively summarised and explained in ways that they can be easily understood by anybody. I also like the regular test updates, information on product recalls, and answers to questions of the members. I would not take a supplement without first checking ConsumerLab reports.

lauras94
7/18/15

Since the OTC industry have almost no regulation, I consider extremely important this kind of sites that test so many products. From Maca to fish oil, always great information.

lorettal4
11/9/14

We have subscribed to ConsumerLab for over six years now. We are very much into natural and holistic health and, obviously, find ConsumerLab very helpful. Their subscription rate is $56 or $59 for two years and you can cancel at anytime, which we have done with no problem. We missed it so subscribed again. It is auto-renewed like almost every other subscription we have, so if you don't cancel it will charge your credit card again. Their website shows a great number of lab test findings which failed their tests. They also show even more companies who pass. The companies who fail are able to submit their differences of opinion or findings which are published by ConsumerLab along with the rest of their info. The FDA does not test supplements so we are at the mercy of any fly-by-night that chooses to go into business. The FDA does have guidelines which ConsumerLab checks to see that these are met as part of their testing. They test to assure that the supplement contains what it says it does, as well as tests that they contain no toxic materials. They show results of tons of research done by others around the world to educate members on what vitamins/supplements actually do and do not do for our health. The CEO of the company has testified before congress regarding legislation pertaining to vitamins and supplements. Sounds pretty well-respected to us!

tracyt
1/26/09

consumerlab - <p>It is a very interesting site. My 1st question is ...who funds them? There are alot of sites out there that report only  the way the owners prefer for their benefit. I really liked how detailed the information , but can I trust it to be true?
The site it's self is easy on the eye & is easy to understand.</p>

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Hi Tracy - Our Product Reviews are funded by subscriptions from individuals (primarily consumers and health professionals), libraries, and colleges. We also operate the oldest, 3rd party quality certification program for dietary supplements in the U.S. In that program, any company can request, for a fee, that we test one of its products. You can read more about ConsumerLab.com at https://www.consumerlab.com/aboutcl.asp
20 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Absolutely. Contact us within 30 days for a full refund on any 1 or 2 year membership if you are not satisfied. There is no refund, however, on purchase of a single report. Our policy is posted here: https://www.consumerlab.com/useragreement.asp

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

Our latest ratings of CoQ10 are found in the CoQ10 Supplements Review at https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/CoQ10-Ubiquinol-Supplements-Review/CoQ10/. You can also look up brands on our site using the search box.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

Yes, you can get a full refund if you are not satisfied. Please let us know within 7 days.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

Hi Rita - If you are member of ConsumerLab.com, see our Top Picks in the Multivitamin Supplements Review (https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/multivitamin_review_comparisons/multivitamins/#whatCLfound). In general, these Top Picks 1) contain what they claim without contamination, 2) provide the right amount of vitamins and minerals -- not too much or too little, and 3) are a good value. The report is broken into categories, so you can, for example, find the best multi for women vs. men.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

Hi Wanda - ConsumerLab.com has tested many products from these brands. Those which we have Reviewed in recent years can be found in the reports at https://www.consumerlab.com/Search/Spring-Valley-Review and https://www.consumerlab.com/Search/Puritan%27s-Pride-Review. We don't give an "overall" rating to a brand based on our tests, just product-by-product ratings.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

Hi Rita - Technically the term "dietary supplement" includes vitamins, as well as minerals, herbs/botanicals, amino acids, and certain other sustances, like fish oils, CoQ10, probiotics, etc.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

Hi Iras - ConsumerLab.com does not sell supplements, but independently tests, compares, and rates them for quality and cost. Our Ashwagandha Supplements Review is found at https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/ashwagandha_supplements/ashwagandha/ and is available to online subscribers to ConsumerLab. The Review includes extensive information about how to properly use Ashwagandha.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

For products tested and Approved by ConsumerLab.com, see our Probiotic Supplements Review at https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Probiotic_Supplements_and_Kefir/probiotics/. In general, be sure you probiotic provides at least 1 billion cells (or "CFUs") per day. As explained in the Review, certain strains of organisms have stronger evidence than others depending on the use, whether it be prevention of antibiotic-related diarrhea, IBS, anxiety, etc.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

No, all the products we review must be purchased by us at retail, just as a consumer would; they can not be sent to us. If you want to suggest a product for us to test, you are welcome to email us at info@consumerlab.com. We also conduct a survey of our readers each year to determine which products are of greatest interest to them -- and this plays a major role in guiding our product selection. The testing we do is very expensive, so we need to choose products which we think will be of interest to many.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]

We have written a review article about Prevagen at https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/does-prevagen-really-improve-memory/prevagen_memory/ , but we don't have information on where to buy it locally.

By Tod C. [ConsumerLab Rep]
Questions? Get answers from the ConsumerLab staff and other customers.

ConsumerLab?