Review of ConsumerLab

333 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, NY 10605, US
Tel: 1-914-722-9149
subscription@consumerlab.com
Get immediate access to ConsumerLab.com's reports!
Join Now

tiffanyr94
2/9/19

If you sign up for a free trial they will put the funds for a full membership on an authorization hold in your account wether you are using a credit or debit card. The website says the funds will be on hold for 5 days (the length of the trial) even if you cancel before those 5 days are up.

Here it is day 6 for me, I cancelled the trial on day 2 or 3, and the funds haven't been released by today day 6 so I called in. I was told at first it would take 7 days for my bank or card company to release the funds.

I told them no, I specifically used my PayPal debit card for this transaction because they release funds in hours not days. This has been tested by me on multiple occasions, so yes I know it to be true.

They asked when my trial ended, and I told them when I cancelled it. I was told 5 days after I signed up was when it ended even if I cancelled the "free trial" before then. I was then told that if you cancel your trial they would put a note in your account so you won't be charged at the end of the 5 days. If you need their services go for it I guess. I needed information on one thing and their top picks were discontinued, so I ended my membership as it didn't help me. So thanks for nothing but a headache I guess.

**My funds for the trial have now been released. So I guess it's just important that you know the information I've left above. The trial last a full 5 days even if you cancel bwfore those 5 days are up and they hold your funds ($42) for a full 5 days even if you cancel. In my case it was longer**

Tip for consumers: Read their terms and this review.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
This review of how a free trial works is not accurate, so I'd like to clarify. If one takes a free 5-day trial, it is correct that a credit card is needed and the amount of a membership is "held" (but not charged) during the trial. If a person opts to cancel the trial and not have it turn into a membership, the funds that were held are immediately released by us -- the same day. The confusion this person had resulted from the fact that card companies and their banks often take several days to process this release, so it can take a while before the funds appear to be released. In fact, PayPal explains this on their website, noting that it can take "3 to 30" days. We explained this to the person who wrote this comment. We are glad that she added a note that her funds were released, but it would have been best if she explained the process correctly and that the cause of the delay was not ours.
williamp718
2/7/19

I have been a subscriber now for several years and look forward to the updates and latest info on nutritional supplements. Very pleased!

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Thanks William. We're glad that you are enjoying your ConsumerLab membership!
bobbyw62
1/15/19

BAIT AND HOOK. BEWARE. When you go to their webpage for product comparison you have to agree to receive there newsletter which is sent out twice a week, they then send you to another page where you have to sign up for a PAID membership before they will send the information out. To me this is deceptive and they should inform you up front that you MUST have the paid membership to receive any information. I would have never agreed to receive the newsletters if I had known before hand that I would have to sign up for a paid subscription.

jenniferf292
1/5/19

I have been a member of consumerlab for almost a year. I like that they actually test the products for what they claim to provide. I find it very helpful.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
We're glad that you are enjoying your membership to ConsumerLab, Jennifer. Thanks for letting us know.
lewisg43
1/4/19

The representative that I spoke with was warm, informative and quickly resolved the reason for my inquire.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Thank you that nice feedback, Lewis!
lisag502
10/19/18

I'm a scientist and tend to maintain a healthy skepticism of supplements--especially those that make overly strong claims. But there are a few that my doctors have directed me to take. In addition, I have a couple of health issues that conventional medicine hasn't yet been completely successful in treating. ConsumerLab provides an excellent summary of the research available for a number of common supplements. They also point out potential interactions and cautions for people with certain conditions. I appreciate the comparisons of common brands so that I can make sure to get what I'm paying for and also choose the most economical product.

To be honest, I had planned to look up as many supplements and I could during the free 5-day trial and then cancel, but I'm finding it too useful!

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
We're glad to have you as a member, Lisa! Thanks for your review. You can always feel free, as can any member, to shoot us suggestions and questions that we might answer in our CL Answers section.
ellioty1
7/28/18

I know this review may look confusing. Explanation: I found their reviews confusing, as in, "One study found this; another found that, and so on and so forth. Also, consumerlab rated lycopene as a legitimate supplement, when in fact, the man who discovered it states that lycopene must be received by eating tomatoes---that if taken as a supplement, it destroyed in the stomach. The GREAT thing about the company is that when I called them for a refund, even AFTER the 30 day refund window had passed, they refunded me IN FULL, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. That is OUTSTANDING.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Hi Elliot. I just read the review you posted about ConsumerLab today. While I'm glad that we were able to help you easily get a refund, I hope that you appreciate that we work very hard to not only report reliable test information from our lab analyses, but to provide reliable clinical information. With regard to lycopene, for example, if you read our Review, we clearly indicate that the evidence for it "is indirect and far from definitive." Many people use lycopene, so we want to be sure they understand its limitations, as well as which products do or don't provide what they claim. We think that's better than not reporting at all on it. I hope that you will reconsider your rating of our site.

Sincerely,

Tod Cooperman, M.D.
President and Founder
kimd214
6/22/18

I appreciate the evidence-based, scientific information CL provides in each review. It is a great reference and saves me hours of research on my own.

roseannz
2/4/18

ConsumerLab.com does have a yearly subscription fee. I can't remember how much, but believe me, if you buy supplements, vitamins, protein, weight loss, and other natural/alternative/health products,ConsumerLab will save you money! We all know the claims made by companies, sounding almost miraculous, and often "too good to be true". Consumer Lab offers an unbiased, research-oriented study of different groups of supplements. A very recent report from Consumer Lab was on Apple Cider Vinegar. CL listed all the benefits of apple cider vinegar. Uses and indications for each set of products they review are given. They then showed a graph of different Apple Cider Vinegars they tested in their "Quality Certification Program", as quality testing is a main part of CL's information to consumers. On their graphs are products that are "Approved" or "Not Approved" after quality testing was done. CL explains why some products are not approved, and they supply the parameters of approved products. In addition (and the reason this site saves you money), CL lists the costs of the different companies and shows the "Best Buy". Consumer Lab is totally unbiased, and all their information is based on the research they have done. They look at such things as contaminants, such as lead levels, quality of products, cost, efficacy (such as does this product absorb into our systems). As a consumer of supplements, et. al., CL is a valuable resource.

johng577
2/3/18

With the continuous scientific advancement of todays world we are confronted almost daily with vast amounts of new data. Evaluating significance and reliability together with implications for existing models or often the need to construct new frameworks is a full time job for the conscientious professional. For a concerned consumer Consumer Lab provides a unique and invaluable inventory of relevant analysis and interpretation. I cant imagine how an informed decision with respect to individual needs can be made without consulting Consumer Lab.

Tip for consumers: Read, read, read!

sharonr119
10/13/17

I have used this site for several years. the information is thorough and reliable. I've been surprised at some items that have failed. to me, it is essential in order to determine what brand to buy.

davee47
9/11/17

I had been considering subscribing for about a year but couldn't make up my mind whether or not to spend the money. I finally did subscribe a few months ago. I believe it is a sound investment.

I often read about how this or that supplement will perform some sort of miracle for you. ConsumerLab is an impartial source to get the truth about supplements so you can avoid wasting money. If you decide a supplement might be helpful, ConsumerLab will let you know which brands contain the ingredients they're supposed to.

In addition, they are good about responding to questions. For example, I had a question about whether collagen supplements contained tyramine. I wrote to ConsumerLab to ask about that, and Jared replied the next day with a clear answer.

I highly recommend subscribing.
Dave

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Thank you, Dave. We're glad that you are enjoying CL!
christopherc119
8/31/17

Consumers expect free content, and yes, there IS plenty of good information on the web free of charge. But, in the world of nutritional supplements one must sort thru a mountain of misleading infomercials, anecdotal or superficial evidence, and bad science in order to find useful and credible information. Even if you have the necessary background in science or medicine to do so, who has the time?
ConsumerLab makes an enormous amount of good information readily available and should be required reading for anyone interested in taking supplements of any kind.

Eric C., M.D.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
We're glad that you enjoy ConsumerLab.com. Thank you for posting your comments.
ericac43
4/30/17

ConsumerLab has earned my trust by their responsible and thorough evaluation of products. I appreciate the huge amount of work they do to inform the public about products we use and depend on. An individual could not afford to do the amount of research and testing they do for us. If only the companies would be so honest in their advertising... Thank you ConsumerLab, you have saved me money, time, and worry.

rinaj1
4/7/17

Have found often helpful information about products I eat daily, and about multivitamins. I am very thankful for this. Now I am sure I eat the right chocolate, have the right oats, the right fish-oil capsules and that also for a cheap price! Really useful! Also I get advice on many topics that are helpful for me.

alank47
3/22/17

ConsumerLab provides to supplement users precisely what is needed. The product reviews and additional information have proved invaluable to me. As an example, CL rated the NOW's Red Yeast Rice as barely containing any red yeast rice statins. I had wondered why my cholesterol numbers hadn't declined with its use. I switched to Cholestene's RYR product and saw dramatic results. Not surprisingly, CL rated this product as providing more than the amount listed on the label per serving. I'm not promoting Cholestene, but rather promoting the test results from CL and how they benefitted me.

johnp497
2/26/17

As a licensed acupuncturist, I need good, unbiased information on the safety and effectiveness of the nutritional supplements my patients have been taking. But there are very few reliable sites on the internet that can provide such information, given the ubiquitous presence of the supplement industry on the world wide web. Too much information on the internet is intended to promote increased consumption of supplements, and it is virtually impossible to find good information on supplement risks. Enter Consumerlab.com, which provides solid, evidence-based information without marketing hype, and is never afraid to talk about the potential for harm. I find the daily Q and A's particularly useful, since they reflect the questions that patients typically ask in my office. I strongly recommend this site to all healthcare professionals seeking to provide their patients with honest, pragmatic advice on risks and benefits of nutritional supplements.

Response from Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Thank you very much for sharing that, John. We are very glad that you appreciate the work we are doing. We appreciate your support.
donnai5
2/22/17

I have subscribed to CL for many years. It has been a constant source of up to date credible and educational information. CL provides links/footnotes to it's sources. There are no testimonial or slanted opinions. CL is clear and concise. As a nurse practitioner, I appreciate the detail and science. I have recommended CL to my family, friends and patients. Another plus: NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

chrisl202
2/15/17

I had heard about consumerlab several years ago dealing with there rating of consumer health and nutritional products. I have enjoyed using the website to obtain information regarding purchases that I would like to make and other info that I would like to know. I have found them to be quite beneficial. I believe that they are the best in supplying correct information to the public and are on a firm foundation in their research and analysis. I look forward to many more years of their quality research and writings. I had one question that I had needed answered and got that answer within 2 minutes of asking it to consumerlab from Evelyn.

richardh186
8/19/16

I am a chiropractor and like the fact that I can look up quality of supplements.
I recommend the site to my patients.

chrism252
5/5/16

A message to ConsumerLabs.com just because I've used & felt for so long that they were a such a good organization, and I wanted to tell 'em so and thank them...

Dear ConsumerLab.

Of all of the many subscriptions I have had r/t health, yours has been one of the most valuable.

Thank-you for your work and for this service.

I don't know where else the public could go for true (independently research-based) information about what we are buying (especially supplements).

The public is just trying to be healthy and you protect us from gov (special interest influence) and industry compromise / ignorance.

Thank-you, Again!

Sincerely,
Chris, RN, BSN

ronf39
5/5/16

Dear sirs,

I just wanted to express how pleased I am with the quality of information in your newsletters. This information is available nowhere else as far as I know.
I am very happy to see that you are testing products relevant to health-oriented demographics such as those found in health food stores (like Whole Foods) or
websites (like I-Herb).

I am happily referring your website to my circle of influence.

I trust in your continued good work.

An enthusiastic subscriber,

leslies55
4/10/16

As a registered dietitian & certified diabetes educator, I highly value consumer labs reviews to advise and respond to family, friends, and patients regarding use of quality supplements.

marilynd16
4/5/16

Invaluable from the first time I discovered the site. We do not buy any supplement without checking here first.
In addition to the clear and easily accessible chart of test results based on lab analysis of actual samples bought are relevant discussions of issues and research results from credible sources.
CL allows us to discover actual ingredients, including those not mentioned by the manufacturer, the best quality and the best price supplement appropriate for our needs.

ritaw15
4/2/16

I needed help with opening my subcription to ConsumerLab. I e-mailed them for help and quickly got responses which enabled me to open my subscription. I thought my subscription had expired and that's why I couldn't open it, but I was wrong. Now I not only get excellent information from them, but I am very pleased with the service when I request assistance.

20 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Yes, you can get a full refund if you are not satisfied. Please let us know within 7 days.

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Hi Mike - No, we have no chosen to become a member of the Better Business Bureau. We have, however, been in business for more than 19 years and are not aware of any complaints against us.

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Hi Katherine - Subscriptions from consumers, as well as group and institutional subscriptions from universities and public libraries, are our main revenue source. You can learn more here -- https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/can-i-trust-consumerlabcom-how-are-its-tests-paid-for/trust_consumerlab/

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Hi Tina - No, most of the products we test are chosen based on the brands and products that our subscribers report using in our annual reader survey (more information at https://www.consumerlab.com/reports/Vitamin_and_Supplement_Users_Survey.asp). Companies can also request that their individual products tested by ConsumerLab and they pay for that testing. More about this is found here https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/can-i-trust-consumerlabcom-how-are-its-tests-paid-for/trust_consumerlab/

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Yes, you will have unlimited access to all reports during your memberships. This includes all posted Product Reviews , CL Answers, Warnings and Recalls, and Natural Products Encyclopedia articles, as well as all new reports/updates added during the term.

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Absolutely. Contact us within 30 days for a full refund on any 1 or 2 year membership if you are not satisfied. There is no refund, however, on purchase of a single report. Our policy is posted here: https://www.consumerlab.com/useragreement.asp

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Our latest ratings of CoQ10 are found in the CoQ10 Supplements Review at https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/CoQ10-Ubiquinol-Supplements-Review/CoQ10/. You can also look up brands on our site using the search box.

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Hi Rita - If you are member of ConsumerLab.com, see our Top Picks in the Multivitamin Supplements Review (https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/multivitamin_review_comparisons/multivitamins/#whatCLfound). In general, these Top Picks 1) contain what they claim without contamination, 2) provide the right amount of vitamins and minerals -- not too much or too little, and 3) are a good value. The report is broken into categories, so you can, for example, find the best multi for women vs. men.

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Hi Wanda - ConsumerLab.com has tested many products from these brands. Those which we have Reviewed in recent years can be found in the reports at https://www.consumerlab.com/Search/Spring-Valley-Review and https://www.consumerlab.com/Search/Puritan%27s-Pride-Review. We don't give an "overall" rating to a brand based on our tests, just product-by-product ratings.

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative

Hi Rita - Technically the term "dietary supplement" includes vitamins, as well as minerals, herbs/botanicals, amino acids, and certain other sustances, like fish oils, CoQ10, probiotics, etc.

By Tod C., ConsumerLab Representative
Questions? Get answers from the ConsumerLab staff and other customers.

ConsumerLab?