BookDepository.co.uk

BookDepository.co.uk has a consumer rating of 2.61 stars from 49 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. BookDepository.co.uk also ranks 25th among Books Other sites. The most common issues with BookDepository.co.uk are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• I contacted customer service and they asked me to launch an investigation with the postal service.
  • The debit with the credit card was done immediately within minutes of the online order.
How would you rate BookDepository.co.uk?

“Be patient with Book Depository”

Meg K.
12/14/17

I ordered 5 children's books 11/24/17 and received them all by 12/13/17. I contacted them twice about my order and both times they replied quickly. They use vendors to fulfill their orders and I think sometimes the vendors are not communicating properly with the BD with what they actually have in stock. Anyway shipping is FREE and my order came for England (I live in the states) I will be using BD vs. Amazon, unless I need a book quickly! Super happy with Book Depository!

“This company treats complaints as queries- says...”

Fiona G.
12/7/18

I ordered a book as a Christmas present on 19/11/18 to avoid any delays in receiving it because the gift has to be re-posted before Christmas. A saga began of constant emails back and forth without any speedy resolution to the complaint. Its now 07/12/18 and my order hasn't been honoured. I've never encountered such a poor customer complaints handling system where I have been treated like I must be at fault by giving the wrong address or the postal services must be to blame- neither of which are true in this case. I will never do business with this company again because their customer care service doesn't exist.

customer service (8) credit card (6) post office (4)
anderss5
January 20th, 2020
I would not recommend using this site.

I had to find out for myself, that they had cancelled my order despite sending an order confirmation and charging my card immediately. Nine days later I still haven't gotten my money back or the books I ordered. I was told to just place a new order.

Do not use if you need books urgently or if you don't have a lot of free time to write to their unhelpful customer service.
tanyaw97
November 28th, 2019
Will not order from this site again. Ordered and paid for my book, they lost the order. Lots of emails later and still no closer to resolving the issue. The money was taken out of my account.
tanem
October 7th, 2019
What is up with these review places ? BookDepository is a scam people : people are saying it over and over again that they are :

1. Not receiving books
2. Not receiving the refund
3. And being constantly handed BS Hello People ?

Hello ?

www.actionfraud.co.uk

If you've fallen into their trap don't muck around use the above like I have .
fritzn9
March 20th, 2018
I have ordered a book on 15.March 2017. Up till today I did not receive any message whether the book was sent out - or is available at all. An address to urge or delete any order is missing. The debit with the credit card was done immediately within minutes of the online order.
elenae10
March 9th, 2018
Terrible service. Ordered the book on 10 Feb and till today it is still not here. Emailed the customer service to ask about the status of my book and they said it will arrive by 6 March but it is still not here. They told me to check with the local post office but the point of shopping online is so that I don't have to travel to get my book. It makes no sense for me to have to go through the hassle of going all the way down to the post office to check if my book is here when it should have been delivered in the first place!
luw12
February 26th, 2018
They didn't bother to send the book until 3 days had passed then said it would be another week - I complained and was told they didn't purchase the book themselves until after I had ordered and it was delayed - the next person said this wasn't true - I asked to cancel 3 times and they kept saying no I had to return it when it arrived - explained I am disabled and cannot do this - they just ignored me saying this and kept saying no.....horrific experience - and second time with problems - will never ever use again - appalling attitude towards disabilities

Tip for consumers: Don't buy from them....

penelopes8
September 21st, 2017
Beware! This company gives an approximate address and a non-existent UK postcode for their returns. This will probably get there, but will bypass tracking equipment and delay the refund process.

You need to search the Royal Mail postcode-finder and leave off the last letter of the one given - the correct address will then show as a suggestion with unit number, street name and valid postcode. Click on it to appear in an envelope template. This one will work! Do not take the customer advisor's word, however polite their manner.

Welcome to Brazil! (in the Terry Gilliam sense)
cz29
October 10th, 2017
BEWARE: Promo codes for Book Depository at various coupon sharing websites, but nowhere to use the on BD order form. I placed order then contacted their help desk on how to apply discount. Very inflexible Amber-Jade replied codes not valid unless emailed to customers directly. Poor business model when most other companies place promo code box before invoice total is calculated. Misleading to buyers who consult coupon sites. No conciliatory offer whatsoever. Will not buy there again.
sanketb1
December 2nd, 2017
They charge you first and then don't commit on their delivery. And don't respond to your emails.
Before placing the order they committed that the books will be delivered within 3-6 day. After 6 days when asked they said we take 5-10 days and gave me a date which more than 10 days ahead. I asked them to refund my money and cancel my order. But now they don't seem to respond. This is extremely rude.
gillianw7
October 31st, 2017
I have been messed around for a month by Book Depository, keep on getting completely conflicting and contradictory feedback from them. Worst part is they do not have a telephone contact so have to rely on emails . Will never order from them again
jessiep30
September 21st, 2017
Delivery to be done within 5-6 working days. 20 days and two emails later....no feedback and no book.
megk12
December 14th, 2017
micaelao1
June 17th, 2017
• Updated review
Lately, with my partner, we've been buying LOTS of books and stuff, from a Batman Batsignal to card decks and comic books. Everything arrived and nothing major has happened yet. BD still hasn't broken my heart.
Free shipping and great selection!
June 17th, 2017
• Previous review
I had been reading and looking for sites to buy books that I can't buy in Argentina because they are not available here, and someone mentioned Book Depository to me. They have a wide selection of currencies with which to pay for, and Argentine Peso is on the list, so that's great (if your currency is not on the list, you may have to pay an extra charge for currency conversion by your bank, as with any other foreign online purchase).

So after searching reviews and books on their site and having some books in my wishlist, I purchased my first order on September 23rd. It was dispatched on the 26th (the next Monday). The site says that for books dispatched from UK to Latin America it takes 10-15 business days, so I knew I had to wait quite some time. My book arrived in perfect condition in a bubbled envelope on October 28th (by that time, I was already counting the days for when it would arive and how long would it take). I knew it would be long, because foreign purchases have a high chance of being held by local customs office, that's one thing I feared (or it being lost, given the number of bad reviews out there). I was really happy at the end, so I didn't wait long to make my next purchase.

A few days later, on October 31st I ordered a second item: a tarot deck. It was dispatched on November 2nd and, to my biggest surprise, it arrived on November 11th (same shipping address). I was already calm and waiting my month of delivery, so I expected it to be here by the beginning of December. Needless to say I was extremely surprised. Again, it arrived in perfect conditions.

The interactions I had with customer service office were always really polite and fast. I asked once for the availability of some books, and was always attent and nice. The other time I contacted them after one of the packages, having passed 40-45 working days since dispatch, hadn't arrived. They provided me with a tracking number witch which I checked where it was and compared it to other tracking number from one of their packages that arrived a few days back, and I could verify it hadn't even reached the country. They sent a replacement copy right away which hopefully will arrive and won't get lost in the mail. Replies were always fast and this was solved in a day or two.

I do have to say that it would be extremely nice to have an option to track your books, because the uncertainty of not knowing where they are is awful. The only instance I was given a tracking number was when it hadn't arrived for a really long time.

I chose Book Depository over any other site because of shipping costs. While amazon gives the certainty of knowing your product will arrive within a designated time frame and giving a tracking number, the cost of shipping the books I wanted to Argentina was insane. Free shipping over 33 dollar shipping is a LOT more appealing, despite the long wait.

Great experience so far and will sure be buying more from them in the future.

BOOK DEPOSITORY SURVIVAL GUIDE (mini version)
~ Check the delivery time for your country and from where it will be dispatched. That time counts AFTER the item is shipped and not before, and it's on working days, meaning it's not counting the weekends or any holidays in your country or the country of origin. This is also an ESTIMATED time and not a fact. I had books arrive in 6 working days and others arrive in 20; your national post office and customs office has a lot to do with these times too and a number of times it's not the fault of BD themselves.
~ Do NOT buy from Book Depository if you need the book as fast as possible and for an urgent job. Pay for the extra shipping and have the certainty it will arrive on time. Book depository is cool for buying books when you're not in a hurry (for example, if you're preparing the book list for next year and you still have a few weeks or a month until classes start, I guess you're good).
~ Check if your country's currency is on the list. It will be easier to check for costs and see how it charges your card.
~ If your order wasn't dispatched in a week or 2, contact customer service. Most likely, the supplier of the book didn't have any copies and thus the BD site listed it as available when in fact there weren't any copies. You can either choose to have a refund or wait until they have it again and have it sent.
~ When to contact Book Depository Customer Service when your order hasn't arrived: Depends on your country. Someone recommended I contact BD when it's been over 40 working days, as we have a delivery time of 15-20 working days from starters.

Tip for consumers: Read the BOOK DEPOSITORY SURVIVAL GUIDE above at the end of the main review!

rhianng
April 5th, 2017
I have bought many books over the years and have never had a problem. Great price, free shipping to Australia and world wide.
renatav4
December 28th, 2016
I ordered book 3rd December for Chistmas present.,but still didnt get it. Dont have tracking number to find it, where is the book. I contacted custemer service, as they had no clue ether, I asked refund, now I will see it, how is that going....
I read many bad rewiev, so I would not recommend or order again from book depository...
amandab161
January 3rd, 2017
Our bank account was hacked. The culprit started their spending spree by authorising a payment with book depository and then reimbursing it the next day in a fishing expedition. Then went on to spend thousands and when we asked book depository for their help they refused. Even after pointing out that it must be someone with access to their accounting as the money was a. Taken and b. Refunded. We had never heard of them till then. Do not trust this company. It is of course in the hands of the fraud department now
popaf
September 21st, 2016
sent an order one month ago, and i still didn't receive my book/.
They claim they sent another one, but after 2 weeks they admitted that no other book was sent.
awful company, i hope i can get my money back
henks2
September 2nd, 2016
I ordered two fat books at The Book Depository to The Netherlands within a time frame of two months. Both books had the lowest price I could find on the Internet. They arrived each exactly one week after the order. In excellent state and for FREE! I don't understand all the negative talk about this web store. It made me a bit nervous to try it, but was in both cases eventually 100% satisfied!
elenas31
January 20th, 2016
My name is Elena Szilagyi from Bryan Tx my order # is **************95817, I did not get the book yet.My credit card was charged on jan 12, please let me know when I will get my book.thank you
fadzlans
April 12th, 2016
I've purchased from them a couple of times. Have never had any problems. My purchases came in good and quick. Buyers may also get steep discounts from time to time on certain books. Highly recommended.
annem57
December 30th, 2015
The Book Depository is just about the best book seller you could deal with. I have purchased books from them for years. They always arrived within about three days (amazing considering I live in the Shetland Islands). Never once has there been a problem and the prices are excellent. I will continue to use them. Why wouldn't I?
matthewc65
December 30th, 2015
Bought a few times from this site. Always received items in good condition.One minor issue which was quickly resolved.
steves138
December 31st, 2014
"Do not do business with this company!! I ordered from them and they emailed me back and said there was a problem with my credit card and the order was cancelled. They charged my credit card anyway and never sent the book I ordered and would not credit the money back to my credit card. I finally disputed it with the credit card company and got a refund. It took 6 weeks and 7 or 8 emails to clear this up."
abdulhadia
February 11th, 2015
I buy almost all my books from these guys. Living in Australia its hard to find some specialist titles. However, Bookdepository seems to always have them, including quality copies of books no longer in standard print. The free delivery policy makes them cheaper than Amazon, freight to Australia is always expensive.
jamesg111
January 12th, 2015
The best selection of books you'll find on the internet. I'm a bookaholic and absolutely LOVE this online store. It allows me to create wishlists, and any time books in my list go on sale I get an email notification. You can filter on things like hardcover, price, language and many more. The thing that blows my mind is that postage is FREE. I live in Australia and can't believe I pay nothing (books are almost half the price they are here, plus there's a bigger selection).

Tip for consumers: I've never had to return a single book. Also, every book that I've purchased has arrived in mint condition. 10+/10

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the BookDepository.co.uk staff and other customers.

Book Depository is the world's most international online bookstore offering over 18 million books with free delivery worldwide.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BookDepository.co.uk?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.6
Have a question about BookDepository.co.uk?