Review of Bank of America

chollet.ramsey@bankofamerica.com
2017 Customer choice award

lanetaj
7/16/19

Bank of America should close their doors. My 94 year old mom has banked with BOA for over 50 years. First you can never call and speak with a representative at the location you use. Secondly, they closed the location she used and unfortunately she decided to continue banking with them so now I have to drive her over 10 miles to do her banking. And for me the straw the broke MY back...they closed the drive thru. BOA do you have any idea how inconvenient it is for a elderly person to struggle getting inside? Not to mention someone who is in a wheelchair and even a parent with small children. When I asked why they closed the drive thru I was told they didn't have enough staff to cover the window. Really??? Shame on your greed BOA!

rubenh33
6/6/19

I wish I did research before... Horrible customer support and they are so money hungry. Evade them at all costs.

bettyk19
5/10/19

Bank of America has HORRIBLE customer service, and it's EVERYONE in the company (managers and all)!!! This bank ONLY wants your money, and doesn't care about anything else. I've called the back at least 50 times for the same issue, because they REFUSED to resolve it!! If you don't want to be ripped off, go to another bank.

jasonb740
5/2/19

Warning!!! Do not use Bank of America
From terrible customer service,rude and liars!!
Worst experience with a bank I ever had hands down!!!

philliph93
4/2/19

Have a credit score of over 800 unit Bank of America. Never missed a payment with any bank and did not receive a bill from Bank of America. They contacted the credit agencies and lowered my score. I contacted them and tried to discuss there failure to send or contact me. The Bank doesn't give a $#*!. Please never use this bank. They are the worst bank to account with. They have no regard for their customers.
P Henderson

annag198
12/25/18

They charge fees for everything! It seems like they put traps intentionally to find the ways to charge you. I do not recommend this bank.

maxz20
12/23/18

The online banking is terrible. Tell you a TRUTH. Their customer service hotline ((800) 732-9194)'s waiting time in average is more than one hour. They never waive any late fees but will charge you tons of bills out of nothing. SCAM bank.

shirleys47
11/15/18

I've been waiting nearly an hour to talk to a Bank of America rep, and am writing a review with my other hand to help pass the time. This wait time is usual - they make you wait longer than the IRS. I ignore the recordings until the voice says "We know your time is valuable." At that point I yell "Shut up!"

Ah, I finally got a rep, and for once I got a good one. B of A just went from one star to two. Found out what I needed to know: whether or not my card was still on Autopay - and he also let me know that my newer Bank of America card is on Autopay as well. I hadn't heard back since I sent the needed forms, voided checks, etc. by postal mail (that's right) to set up Autopay for that card two months ago.

It's nearly impossible to set up Autopay or talk to a representative, and this was the first time I've ever reached a good rep at the end of the wait. So why do I put up with it? Two reasons. One: 3 percent cashback on gas, all the time. It is my default gas card. Two: they give a small percentage of their fees to causes I support. I'm sure the shares are small, but repeated over years, they add up to a donation.

benc279
11/11/18

I've been using Bank of America for quite a while and it is pretty good, everything works as intended, customer service is always helpful and there have been no issues with money disappearing.

leanneg20
9/15/18

The customer service is really hit and miss from what I can tell. I opened an account the day before yesterday. I've had to call them three times since then, The first time was no help what so ever. I had got an email saying that my application was approved but there was a problem processing my deposit and to sign in to online banking but I didn't have a password or username yet because my account was new. She told me I couldn't access my account over the phone because it was new and they didn't have enough info to confirm that I was me and that I would have to drive to the nearest physical location to access my account. When I informed her that the closest brick and mortar bank was four hours away in Philly she said it didn't matter and if I wanted access to my account that is what I would have to do. Well, I wasn't doing that so I hung up and tried again about an hour later. The second was very very helpful she asked me a set of special questions pulled from various sources to confirm my identity and said that since I live outside of the (I believe this is what she called it) footprint area that I could get my account info over the phone. So that was great but when I tried to sign into the online banking I needed to verify my account and the only option to do this was by text. My phone was stolen a few weeks ago. So I had to call one more time. The woman I spoke to this time was somewhere in between the very nasty first call and the extremely sweet and helpful second call she said that I need to change my phone number and it had to be a cell phone. I'm not very happy with this. I have never heard of a cell phone as a requirement for a bank account. She also said that because my account was so new they couldn't confirm my identity and I would have to drive to Philly to change my number. So I tell her that is never going to happen and she tells me they sent a package out to me when my application is approved and if I wait until I get that I will have my debit card and be able to confirm my identity and change my phone number. When I asked her about those special questions the second woman had asked me she said they didn't have anything like that but of course they do because I had just done it. I'm really hoping that once I get my packet and my online banking setup things calm down and I won't need to call customer service again.

Tip for consumers: Make sure to give your cell phone number and not a landline when you apply for an account. If you get a bad customer service experience just hang up and call back until you reach some one better.

richh80
9/14/18

No complaints, Nice service, I have gained a great confidence in the bank, Their customer service is great.

doej2
8/16/18

THE 800 NUMBER IS A JOKE. WE HAD AN ISSUE THAT THEY PROMISED WOULD BE RESOLVED IN 90 DAYS. IT WAS NOT. GILBERTO IN PHOENIX WOULD NOT GIVE US A MANAGER. HE KEPT ASKING FOR VERIFICATION ON AND ON AND ON...HAVE FUN CHASING YOUR TAIL WITH THIS BANK.

yolandas45
8/8/18

I like Bank of America I have had my account with them now for over 20 years. I like that they are quick to inform you of any issues they see with your bank card. If I go out of town and not tell them. I will get a phone call and a temp lock on my card. Because it is activity that is usual. Now I call and let them know I am leaving. The even have where you can let them know in the app or online.

harryh43
7/26/18

These guys only want your money. For me they have a history of incredibly poor customer service in every way. I don't trust them either.

donaldm178
5/10/18

I have a home equity loan with BOA. It is in the pay off period so I pay a fixed amt for principal plus interest at current rate. Each month it changes amt due, One month my amt due online and paper statement did not match. I went to the local bank and they looked up th"correct" amount which I paid with a check. One month later I get a over 30 day past due for $9 - they had transposed two numbers. I immediately paid the $9 and notified the bank. They removed the fee but left a 30 day late note in my credit report. I see it often as it is the only "adverse" report on my credit report. I get refinance letters and credit card offers from BOA almost weekly and they go straight to the trash can. BOA service has dropped below that infamous stage coach bank. Get me once but never again.

lindak175
2/26/18

When I signed up for an Alaska Airlines credit card I was very excited. I have used the Companion Fare option several times with good results. The 1st 2 years I was able to upgrade my seats to first class using points even with the Companion Fare option.Now I am being told that Alaska Airlines has not authorized 1st class seating yet for my flight. I made my reservations 11 months in advance. Now I am less than 3 months until departure, but still cannot upgrade my seats with points. I am no longer using my BofA/Alaska Airlines credit card for my purchases. The Companion Fare option is terrific, but if I cannot upgrade to 1st Class with points (I have 80K points available, but am unable to use them). The Companion Fare option is excellent, but I am now using a different credit card for all purchases to earn points. This is not a BofA issue, but an Alaska Airlines issue. I will probably start using Hawaiian Airlines for direct flights (SD to Maui) as well. Most unhappy.

josselinea
1/17/18

I have three years with these guys. I noticed they want to charge for everything . Checks , fees for anything . I truly believe they are so popular so they do not care about the customer as an individual but, as other of a million. They do not understand when their website online is not working and even is a check was deposited in a wrong way cause of that ,you will pay a fee. Talk to a Mannager they are unprofessional to speak with. They will not understand . This is the type of bank you want to avoid.

janinef13
12/30/17

I tried to their house loans financing and they are easy to work with.. they give proper assistance and made the transaction easier for me.. What I want from them is that they are systematize and their customer service is exeptional. I am happy to give them this sincere review..

charlies73
12/4/17

they have the worst customer service we have ever experienced with regard to banks...lowest of the low

susanl68
8/17/17

I terminated my relationship with Bank of America in 2004 when I couldn't get the Bank to stop its dishonest employees from stealing my money. As an attorney, insurance companies on settlements typically put my name on drafts, so I have to go to the bank and make sure the check is paid to the client. I went to the same bank branch where the client has an account, presented the draft with the client's endorsement, showed the client's consent, and showed my identification to have the check deposited. After wasting my time, and refusing to make a copy of the draft because the branch didn't have any paper in its copy machine and no paper anywhere in the branch, and after being repeatedly disrespected and insulted, I was told to go get my signature guaranteed from my own bank. I said, "you know, that is not necessary", but I got an earful of funk. So, I drove around, spent another hour and had my own bank tell me that they haven't guaranteed a signature in 11 years, and that the Bank of America refusing to deposit the check was lying to me. My own bank told me to go to the Bank of America next door, which I did, and they did what the actual branch with my client's accounts refused to do. Neither the branch manager or the assistant branch manager was even in the first branch of Bank of America. My bank told me that there are a lot of very racist Bank of America employees who hate Whites. This from nonWhites at my bank! Oooh, la, la.

erinw52
6/5/17

I called Bank of America 6 days ago to ask about an overdraft fee that had yet to occur, because I had a company take out an automatic payment when they were supposed to send me a bill for my last payment, since I discontinued service with them. I spoke to a nice girl who told me that I would need to let the fee go through on my account, but that I could call back to have it refunded once it went through. I called back today to have the overdraft fee refunded, and was refused. I spoke to 3 different customer service agents, supervisors, and people in the "escalation" department. They refused to help me, and did not give any consideration to the fact that I called to have this taken care of once already, and was following what I was told to do, which was to call a second time to have the fee reversed. Apparently their calls are "recorded for quality assurance purposes" yet no one would agree to listen to the call where I was promised a refund. I have banked with this company for 15 years, and they just lost me as a customer. I will be closing my account immediately.

francess40
4/11/17

Contacting Bank of American SEVERAL times and getting TRANSFERRED SEVERAL times and getting DIFFERENT INFORMATION most of the times has been one of the WORST EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE!!! They have POOR Customer Service and DONT help resolve issues well at all, even if you stay on the phone for 2 HOURS. I WANT TO CAUTION EVERYONE WHO IS CONSIDERING BANKING THROUGH BANK OF AMERICAN AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A HOME EQUITY LOAN - DO NOT CONSIDER THEM. SERIOUSLY WORST EVER POSSIBLE EXPERIENCE EVER IN MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE.

djfemmiej
3/27/17

they buy real estate cheaply with no value then sell as a forclosure these homes have no value and then they sell them in the thousands terrible service terrible bank and predatory real estate practices.

ginal32
2/27/17

I have a $5,000 credit limit credit card with Bank of America, and I make all of my monthly purchases with this card, and I pay off my balances in full each month. I've been doing this for many, many years and I never incur a penalty. Thats why Bank of America has my loyalty.

bobf69
2/16/17

They want to charge me for checks when I have a five figure balance. Outrageous. If it was not so difficult to change banks I would quickly do so. Also, the lines on the first of the month are crazy. I am now forced to use ATM's or bank at the end of the month.

55 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Bank of America staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Bank of America