American Express reviews

World Financial Center, 200 Vesey St.
New York, NY 10285
Tel: 1-800-528-4800
2017 Customer choice award

lucyj45
12/2/17

Just a few months ago I opened an American Express card simply to take advantage of a zero-percent balance transfer offer. For a fee of 3%, I would have no interest for 12 months. Other than doing the balance transfer, I have not used this card at all. Since the first bill, I have been charged with interest of different amounts. Every month I call and get the same answer that they are having issues with the offer and it would need to be sent to another department. As of today, I have still been fraudulently charged $7.94 in interest. Cannot wait to pay this card off and be done with them. I do NOT recommend this company and will continue to pursue these charges.

kelleyv
11/26/17

American Express Serve account....Highly recommend this card.... no monthly service fee with direct deposit and no "cash" load fee at participating CVS and 7-11 stores..

pedraml
11/22/17

use my link to get 200 dollars in reward, when u spend more than 1000 dollars in first 3 months!

suresha2
11/10/17

- Fake promises - American express promised giving 2000 Rs Make my trip and I never received it.

- I called AMEX customer care more than 5 times and every time they say the you will get the voucher to your email id and till now I have not received it.

- Fake Payback - Payback points that you earn by spending money on Amex card, you will not be able to use it unless AMEX update the Payback. in my case they never updated and the points I earned I am not able to use.

Every time you call Payback customer care they say call AMEX, but amex says the details are updated to Payback.

kimberlyw61
10/19/17

Beware if you have an Amex card and any fraud occurs. This has been going on since April and it's now October. Some fraudster made several charges on our card. Citibank did not catch it right away, so the charges accumulated. A Visa card was also fraudulently charged during the same time. VISA caught it on the second charge. When Amex finally discovered the fraud, they called and asked us to indicate which charges were fraudulent, in writing, which we did. Still, no resolution for months, even after numerous phone calls to customer service. In the meantime, they have charged us late fees on items we did not buy and have reported us to the credit bureaus, even though we were assured on the phone that they would not do so. So we can pay for things we didn't buy or have our credit damaged further. Thanks a lot, American Express! We will be closing this account immediately. I will never do ANY business with Amex again!

dickl16
9/27/17

Did the upgrade for AMEX to their Platinum and they promised me 65k points. I upgraded from Green to this card. Been with these jokers since 2002.

cm210
9/18/17

The staff at the American Express Travel have exceeded our expectations! Thank you Stacy and Chris for your help in canceling a hotel reservation in Napa at the 3 Palms Napa Valley Hotel and Resort,
When we received notice day of our travel that the performer at the Uptown had canceled his show due to illness, we immediately called American Express travel to see if we could avoid any penalty's, these gals called the hotel direct and explained the situation. Unfortunately the manager at the hotel declined to waive the penalty, which was the one night charge. But, our American Express representative was able to waive the cancellation charge by AX and get some money back to us!
Thanks American Express!!

Tip for consumers: Most hotels are really good about refunding a reservation due to show cancellations, but this hotel was not. That tells me they are not willing to accommodate when unexpected situations happen. Too bad! They just lost my future business!!

yvesr5
9/15/17

I really hate How American Express interviewed me. I felt like i was not given justice. First off, The interviewer sounds like not interested to me. I feel humiliated. The questions are nonsense and short. They did not asked the proper interview questions. The interviewer is like a terminator and doesnt gave any chance for me to shine and highlight myself. I used to work with Chase and I know and thought that it will be easy to work with Amex Since it the same industry but it didn't turned the way it should be. I Applied 3pm last Sept 8, 2017 at BGC Bonifacio one tower. and my first contact with one of the person from the reception who is also the interviewer was extremely rude onset when I arrived 27th floor. Kulang nalang sabihin niya na 'oh Anung ginagawa mo dito?" After that failed interview another person called me when I already went back to lounge and ask me basic questions and she advised me to be interviewed on Monday. See they are not even coordinating and not even aware that I was done with the interview. He refused me becuase my 'career growth and development reason' was not enough reason to transfer to them. Isnt that enough reason for them to be proud and happy that someone find Amex as a gteat company to improve someones lifestyle? I dont understand.

Wow that is very dissappointing. MY experience with them was very traumatising. I though they value social welfare but I was really dissapointed

cagdasg
9/8/17

we have personal card with $10500 limit and business gold card. We pay balances in full every month before due date. Both accounts get suspended When ever we make a purchase with Gold card. It is a business card for god sake and why suspend our personal card as well. Can not depend on AMEX. We will cancel both cards.

chulh
9/5/17

How American Express Card Company ruined my vacation

Hi, my name is Chris Kim 48 years old, Korean American.

I have been using American Express card for my company about 4-5 years.
The reason I am using American express is to get points to use for our family vacation.
I used the points, and my family went to Hawaii last year did not have any problems.

However, I went through a very unfair situation with American express travel department on 8/31/17 until 9/05/17.
I booked a Cancun vacation (airline ticket and hotel) thru American express travel a month ago and I received a confirmation email.
My family (my wife and my daughter and I) went to the Los Angeles airport that night (31/Aug./2017) to catch American Airline flight # 1369 which departure time was 11:05 pm.
We couldnt get our boarding pass through their system. Therefore I went to the American airline agent and I hear from a bad news from American airline employee who is Mr. T******.
He told to me I booked flight # 1369 on 14th of July. 2017, but American express did not pay the money and the reservation for flight has been cancelled automatically. Therefore, I called to American express travel department and I talked with Mr, D***** (employee # 7****) what is going on. He told me there is an error (not their mistake) and suggested me to purchase a business or first class and go to Cancun and call them back tomorrow morning when supervisor is available. However, there are only 2 seats available. He offered me a different option which was to catch a different airline with my own expense and give them a call the following day when supervisor is available. So I asked the representative if I was going to get the difference in money back, and he responded as if he couldnt guarantee and that I would have to speak to a supervisor. Also I asked him regarding the hotel reservation status, he noted me that it got cancelled so I asked him again, if I dont have a reservation at a hotel, where am I supposed to stay? He told me again, Get a room with my expense then speak to a supervisor. This is totally wrong how they are treating me at this moment without any solution. I decided that I had to give up this trip. I hung up the phone and went back home. Everyone will agree with me with how frustrated my family was.
Im really thankful to God I didnt listen to him after I had a short conversation with America Express Supervisor, the next morning, who is named E****** today.
I called to American Express Travel and an employee name Mr. P**** answered and I explain to him what is going on and let him know I am recording this conversation as well. He said to me Thank you for letting me know". After He listened to me what is going on he had to transfer call to the Supervisor and he put me on hold for about 30 minute. During the 30 minutes that I waited, they couldve gone over what happened. Instead, once I spoke with E*****, I asked her if she knew what is going on, but she wasnt 100% sure. It made me very upset because I was on hold for 30 minutes for nothing. I notified her that I was recording the conversation as well. She told me, Dont record this conversation otherwise shell hang up. I asked her why I couldnt record her but they could. She replied Im warning you. I felt very upset again. I told her that she ruined my vacation and yet, she is warning me. Youre not going to believe this, she hung up the phone and said Thank you for calling American Express. You can see how shocked I got from this phone call. I was thinking on what I should do. Next day, I called them once more to get better results from a different supervisor. I spoke with a different supervisor named M*****. He told me that I was the one who cancelled the trip due to my illness. I couldnt believe this. They were making up stories. Once I heard the shocking lie, I couldnt speak to him any further. I want to know who made up the story because they want to avoid their responsibility. Even now, I cant believe a big company like American Express did this to me. I didnt decide what to do for the future, but I want everyone to know this situation. I want American Express to know that without us, you are not there.

Sincerely,
Chris Kim
09/05/17 11:05 A.M.

ahmadr15
8/31/17

No customer service majority businesses don't want to take rediclass fees basic points high apr I had this card for 4 yeras I put about $37000 on it they tell you 1 percent back ya right 2 percent on gas station ya right in 4 years I had 1 dispute and they gave me the run around for 55min transfer back and forward with no resolution so I canceled them

zuleykaf
8/19/17

This company is amazing. I lost my card, i called them and the next day the new card was in my house sent by ups. I couldn't believe that. Costumer service was excellent. I love this card. Never had a problem. I have another two credit cards and i don't use them, this is my favorite. Everyone should have this card. I'm so happy with it.

dakotar5
8/12/17

Had to call customer service to fix an error that happened at a merchants place of business. When I called the customer service rep(s) they continued to repeat the same information like a broken record. I continued to tell him I know what you see in your screen what you see is inaccurate, there for make a claim and give me my money back. He continued to repeate him self as if he was going to magically jog my brain as if I made the full amount transaction on his screen. I continued to ask for management about 10 times in which he finally decided to transfer me to a manager after he said "good luck my manager won't help you either."
When the manager got on the line, I informed him I own a merchant services company, I know how the procedures work with banking, and that they can easily claim the transaction, void it out or start a charge back and give me my money back. He refused to do this many times and then proceeded to tell me "I guess you've learned your lesson and won't do that again" as if me being over charged was my mother effing fault or problem.
When I told them I will have my team of lawyers sue so hard it's unreal he proceeded to tell me it's a recorded line, in which I told him I'm aware and I'll say it again and again. He then hung up on me.
Worst customer service, the merchant told me they "can't locate the charge" there for they can't (won't) void out or refund the charge and American Express is refusing to fix the issue. This is a very definition of money scandaling and money fraud. I will not push for American Express services to My clients who utalize my merchant services from here on out.
Do not get any card through them, credit cards, bank cards or hell gift cards for that matter.
Stay away from these fraudulent crooks.

nathanv15
7/21/17

The customer service agents on the phone keep repeating the same thing and can never help. I asked one of the reps on the phone if there was anyone at the company that was able to help me. They replied "No." Simple changes can save the integrity of the company before its too late. Every review has the word lie in it. Its sad to say that its true.

shashikantl
7/19/17

Amex Card is what I have and made lot of spending and this company is horrible, they lie a lot,it doesn't matter how loyal you are to them.Sucks

rachels170
7/15/17

I had an American Express Platinum card. I got because of free foreign transaction fees, the free lounge pass and mile bonuses. Right away I found out that American Airlines was not part of their mileage club. Also I found that most of lounges closed or were not accepting the card. Then I learned that few oversees vendors wanted me to use American Express. I was trying to arrange some diving and whale shark swims and was told I would have to pay more if I used the AmEx card because of the fees. I was told that on other excursions. Few of the tiny restaurants in many countries would accept the card. So I decided not to renew it. They offered me a reduced renewal fee of something like $250 so I renewed again. However, I decided of the next year it wasn't worth it. So I didn't renew the card. An auto renewal of an insurance policy hit the card in the month after. I paid the charge. The only thing not paid was the $450 fee. I started getting calls and late notice letters so I started calling. When you call the number on the letter or take their calls, they demand you pay the $450.00. I tell them I cancelled the card. They say I have to talk to membership for that and they can't do anything. I call membership and they say OK we waived the fee since you cancelled the card. Then the next month it starts all over. This has been going on since February. It is now July. I just got a letter that says my account has been cancelled because I was late! What the heck. I cancelled the card myself. So I call the number on the letter and guess what, it's the credit department and they can't do anything about the fee that is another department. I ask for the number of the other department so I don't have to go through them again. She gives me a number. Guess what, when I called it was back at the Credit section and the whole thing starts again. I have been on the phone or on hold for over an hour. I am now on hold with a credit supervisor "who is trying to work this out." I'm glad I wrote down the name and extension of the person from last month because that got me to the supervisor. If you do work with them, keep notes of all calls. I didn't start keeping dates and names until last month. I don't have records of my March, April or May calls. The history what got me to the supervisor. Now they just came back on and said everything was zero'd out and there is nothing more owed. Stay away.

andrews289
7/13/17

Hello. Do not buy any gift card from American Express. You will lose you time for check balance (online, then by phone).

longp
6/27/17

I got hit by late fee and interest fee on my newly opened Gold Delta Card that I pay $95 annual fee. Called in to ask if it will be waived for the first time ( which any other credit card company will gladly do for you). They would not remove any of that and say it is totally legit charge. I know it is my fault but they are so greedy with these late fee and charges. You would think that they would treat people using their "gold" card differently but trust me they do not. Will be cancelling the card soon and no more business with AMEX. Go ahead and keep my late fee and service charge and spend them on your big Mac. you will not get anymore money from me.

keithm110
6/24/17

I tried to use the American Express Global assist program which they advertise will help you if you having to lose your wallet and need money or any kind of assistance. They're just plain awful. Unhelpful unwilling to try to help unpleasant and worthless. This is the third time I've had to try to use them end of the second time they have flat turned me down because I quote wasn't just desperate enough apparently. They don't mind if I catch check into a hotel and have to walk around all night. They are Unapologetic about being complete asshats and not caring whatsoever about the situation you might be in. I pay my bill info on time every month and they can't even live up to the obligations of their promises. Shame on American Express. I hope those mean unhelpful jerks at Global assist lose their jobs.

markc291
5/15/17

After failing to collect 3 direct debits without calling me to ask for the money they have now messed up my credit rating causing me major problems raising a mortgage. I've left two messages to complain, no response yet. thanks American Express your the best.

melm41
5/6/17

Instead of calling them American Express, just call them 'X' cause that's how they treat their loyal, dedicated customers. I have been a customers for > 18 years. I have NEVER paid my cards late and I have ALWAYS had impeccable credit; so why is my interest rate so high with 'X?' Just like you can't tell me, neither could they.

I have been calling for better rates for several years and recently, instead of lowering my rate, they raised it 2.5%! That did it! Taking my service where it is appreciated. This treatment is appalling. I just bit the bullet and paid off this card. I refuse to be treated like a used tire. Chase has always treated me with respect. They will be my go to card going forward.

vdgv
4/14/17

I have FIVE AMX cards with American Express and until last month, have had a perfect pay record with them. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the terms of my Business Gold card and now have a full balance due that I cannot pay at this time. I have requested terms allowing me to make payments to keep all my accounts current, but have been told by numerous CS people that this is not possible. I have additionally requested on FOUR separate occasions to speak with a Supervisor to further discuss the circumstances and was told on THREE of those occasions that one would return my call withing 24 - 48 hours. Upon asking if I was speaking with the "promised" Supervisor when AMX called again tonite, the CS said "I see where you were to receive a call from a Supervisor and then - "BEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP" - HE HUNG UP ON ME!!! I have (previously/numerously) explained that my good credit is a HIGHLY valued commodity to me as a small business owner and practically begged them to help me work out a plan, but I can not find a way to speak to anyone beyond the "front line" that "reads from the SCRIPT". I'm confused, WHY wouldn't a company want to keep a (up until now) good customer that wants to make good, instead of forcing them to go the route of defaulting and then they get nothing. Either way, my credit will suffer :( :( :( SO upset and frustrated!!!

kayg29
4/4/17

Their customer service is very good overall and the support chat app on their website is one of the better available especially for a large creditor.

On the negative side: 1.The rates are entirely too high for someone with my credit history. 2. They offer no balance transfer options. 3. They are not accepted by enough stores on account of their very high merchant fees. In the eighties American Express used to advertise as the worlds most widely accepted credit card that's hardly true anymore. I made the mistake of taking it with me to Ireland where i reserved a car with it knowing that I would be able use the insurance coverage that comes with it only to find out after i arrived that not only did i have to buy insurance separately because Amex's coverage was not valid in that country but that no one else in Ireland save for one or two international chains accepts Amex at all.

nathanielb32
3/22/17

Great card company. Customer service could not be more helpfully, They never try and sell you anything like other companies. No matter the time or day they are always there to help you out.

suzannel17
3/11/17

I charged a 3-night hotel reservation via Travelocity online for Super8 Decatur Georgia. I have stayed there six times in 12 months. I chose the more expensive option, versus the no-cancellation option, and I selected to pay Travelocity directly, instead of at hotel check-in. I was taken by ambulance to an Atlanta area hospital in the morning after my fist night's stay, and spent six days in the hospital due to a brain problem. My cousin who stayed with me the first night, cleared out the room on the afternoon of the second day, notified the hotel, and no one was in the room for the second and third nights. I also called from the hospital. I requested that the hotel refund my third night only (I was okay paying for the second night, although the room was empty), but the desk clerk said since I paid Travelocity online, they would decide. When I emailed Travelocity for the refund, they said the hotel would decide. When American Express charged me, I disputed it. I wrote that I had a tragic emergency, which has affected my brain (still), and they have closed their investigation based on Travelocity policy of, once you check in, you can't change your stay. AMERICAN EXPRESS WAS SOME KIND OF BIG HELP. My hospital bill is almost $40,000, so this just adds insult to brain injury. The charge is 92.53, and I only ask for one night refund. No loyalty to me for being a repeat customer, or a longtime credit card holder. I am not happy - these were extraordinary circumstances. I have the hospital bills and the ER bills, and the doctor bills.

40 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Only if you live in India and have a laptop comp.

By Zeida j.
Questions? Get answers from the American Express staff and other customers.

American Express?