Review of Square

Tel: +1 855-700-6000
khobi@squareup.com

joek213
10/9/18

Square gives no chargeback protection for sales over $250. They do for sales below that. Why punish your best customers? Those who sell better products get no protection!

terryd58
9/3/17

Once you have money on the account, they WILL freeze it (legal or not...) and you can wait for months for your money. With the account being in that state, you have ZERO possibilities to talk to any of their clowns in the organization and all you get via e-mail is the canned e-mails that their untrained monkeys are allowed to send.

I look at them as a bunch of scammers and would rather take pennies as payment from my customers than dealing with these shady figures again.

kayc92
4/6/17

Really bad experience! They won't even verify my identity because I don't have a credit report!! I tried to get verified with my passport as well and apparently I don't exist at all!! Really bad customer service as well, they do not care about their customers or people who are interested in their products. Don't waste your time.

marinac21
4/4/17

Square had canceled my account with them out of no where with no notice and held 3000 dollars of mine for 90 days. 90 days have pasted they are not telling me 30 days. How can this business being doing this to people this is horrible, I'm a small business owner and its really hurting me. Please no one sign up with this company

ryanp61
9/7/16

Great prices and the owner response back right away

adelitav
9/6/16

I deleted my five Star review now that I have some experience with this company.
Everything seemed wonderful at first. My credit score shot up within the first month of using square.
But I started noticing some of my deposits were wiped off their statements. I thought it was me at first, but I started writing them down as I charged people. Sure enough, I'm being robbed again. Not as bad as the bank was stealing from me, but there should be no money missing from my transactions. Is this the purpose of credit cards, so banks can rob people?
The next issue I'm having is the promise of free processing when others use your referral link to activate square.
They give some lame excuse as to why you see a difference from your transactions to your deposits. I charge on the dollar. No math needed. If my deposits reflect change, I'm not getting the full amount.
Overall, I'm happier with square than I was with Wells Fargo merchant services. But can I get a company that doesn't steal from its customers? I'll keep looking...

michaelf169
8/24/16

I used to think Square was the best. After processing over $500,000.00 over a three year period with no charge backs, I had grown accustomed to them. They offered me Capital Advances form time to time and I was really excited about the next day deposits. All this changed last Monday (8-15-2016). For no reason I got an email from Square stating they needed to verify my business. Moreover, they would suspend all deposits until this business was verified. Thats funny I thought, we have done business ofr three years and have spoken many times on the phone. Be it as it may, I sent in what they asked, fully expecting a thank you and your all set. No response. Two day later, they re-requested the information, I tried to call them, no response. No way to contact them by phone, no response to my emails. Immediately changed processors because I can not and will not do business with a company that can not take a call. Beware of them! This is not the first time this happened to good merchants like myself. They ended up deactivating my account, which was fine by me because I already moved on. Square = F- to me. Really disappointed.

timf42
6/27/16

Square was very easy to use. I signed up and immediately began using the Square service. Six months later, everything was going so well that my business more than doubled. However! Business was so good that Square began monitoring my sales. Square sent me an email one day stating that the amount of sales that I was processing was considered too high risk and they immediately closed my account. Yes...Square closed my account because I had too many sales. Square is a nice little service to use if you have small sales every once in a while. But if your sales grow and your transactions start getting larger....find another service! Square is fine for the little guys selling small items from time to time but that's about it. If you intend on processing numerous sales on a daily basis, get a professional credit card processor and leave Square to the little guys.

charlesm86
5/18/15

This review is documented with words directly copied and pasted from actual e-mails from Square Up. It is extremely difficult to talk to them, they prefer e-mail. I have put quotes around the text copied from their e-mails.

We are in a high risk business, but that doesn't mean our charges are not legitimate. In our business you have to authorize and pay before you fly.

We had a customer charge over $40,000 in private jet charters between 30 and 60 days ago.Last Thursday they disputed those charges. Square turns around and sent us the following information in an e-mail -

"We've received a $23,634.10 payment dispute from your customer regarding a transaction you processed on April 19, 2015.

If you would like to challenge this dispute or refund your customer, please respond to our Information Request Form within 7 days from the date of this notification.

Please be aware that a $22,806.76 hold will be placed on your Square account. If your Square balance is less than the hold amount, your linked bank account will be debited to cover the difference. The funds will remain in your Square balance until the dispute is resolved by your customer's issuing bank."

They take the money out of your bank account directly. This was one of the two notices we received on the same day.

The next day that had withdrawn almost $40,000 from our bank account. Here is what we received in an e-mail:

"Square will debit your Wells Fargo account ending in 821 in the amount of $39,907.03. The funds will be withdrawn in one to two business days. To view your deposits / withdrawals, visit the deposits page on your dashboard.

This withdrawal is a result of issuing a refund, receiving a chargeback, a renewal of subscription pricing, or an account adjustment."

It wasn't one or two business days, it was overnight. You have no protection from them.

Later that morning we received another credit card payment of about $23,000. They proceeded to inform us they are holding these funds for an additional 90 days because of our high risk business.

Here is the e-mail we received from Square within 24 hours of this series of events:

"Were sorry to inform you that we are deactivating your account. Our Account Services team reviewed your account and found a pattern of transactions associated with high-risk activity.

For further information about our policies, you can review section 42 of the Square Seller Agreement.

We regret that, starting today, you will no longer be able to process transactions using Square. Any funds currently in your account will be held for 90 days before being released to your linked bank account.

If youd prefer to receive funds more quickly, you should consider refunding the payments back to the original cards and seeking alternate forms of payment. (Please note that we will refund all the fees, too.)"

Finally, when you do complain, by e-mail, here is what you get:

"Thanks a lot for sending us a message.
We have assigned your message to a team member who will reply as soon as possible.
In the meantime, feel free to return to the Square Support Center for instant answers to frequently asked questions.
Thanks again,
Square Support"

We no longer use square and would not recommend that you use it.

rhondah3
8/1/14

I use them for my personal training business once in a while. The cost is higher than my other merchant account but it's convenient when on the go. It would be nice if they looked more like a company than just a web site.

anges11
1/14/14

Do not trust them Dont deal w this ripoff co. called squareup they dont even have a phone number to call

shanep5
7/22/11

What a great concept! I looked into many credit card gateway sites like authorize.net etc.. They all charge huge fees if you are a small business. If you have an iphone or android, you can accept credit cards on it. They send you a small reader that plugs into the top of the phone and you slide the card and thats it! You just got paid. 2.75% fee for each transaction, no other hidden fees. Wanna accept credit cards at a garage sale? No problem! Very cool idea and great for anyone with a small business or just a regular guy who needs to collect money from a friend! You can also manually enter a credit card as well! Very cool, and Im very happy with it

ronk
5/11/11

If you have a small to medium size business, and want the capability of accepting VISA, American Express, and Discover (paying 2.75%) via small device plugging into ear-phone jack on iPhone or Android...Check this out. Very smart.

Questions? Get answers from the Square staff and other customers.

Square?