Review of Stripe

Tel: +1-800-952-5210
info@stripe.com

jc761
3/29/19

Stripe is extremely difficult to use platform. Based on my brief experience with the Stripe customer service rep., Emerald today. I got the arrogant and rude treatment from her. She refused to explore solution to my issue and told me that is Stripe's business model. If I don't comply then go away !!!!!!!!!!! I gladly did.
I have been a long IT career professional. Never in my long career of over 40 years, I would treatment a client/user with arrogance and rudeness acting as Stripe is the only best platform in the world. That is so arrogant of a no name company like Stripe. Never I would give any business to Stripe. In technology world, there's always something better around corner. Stripe is a legacy and an unwise company. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. UNLESS YOU WISH TO LOSE YOUR MONEY AND BE SCAMMED COMPLYING WITH THE REQUIREMENTS TO PROVIDE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNT. OTHER PLATFORM AND BIG FINANCIAL INSTITUITIONS DON'T REQUIRE IT. IT'S SAD THAT SO MANY UNKNOWING BUSINESSES ALL VICTI OF THEIR SCAM.
I have escalated my case for a Stripe supervisor to call me as I was told. I am just not waste my time to help Stripe improve their business.

banksa
3/29/19

We are a large e-commerce website operating for 3 years via Shopify Payments. Recently, we switched to Stripe.

We average about $150,000 in sales per month. This is about 4,500 transactions.

Because we received a few chargebacks, and I mean around 10 (it will happen no matter what) they put all our funds on hold for 90 days.

They legally stole from us, and we have no power at all because they point to their TOS and say its in the fine print.

The cash flow was stopped literally overnight, and now I have to figure something out to pay 10 employees, satisfy pending orders on my own dime (over 2,000 orders), pay credits, and deal with thousands of customer complaints.

I will get through this with God and all will be well, regardless of the tremendous pressures.

Do. Not. Ever. Use. Stripe Payments if you are a serious seller. They will legally take your food and spit on your face.

However, I am in contact with my Ministry of Finance and I will legally strip Stripe Payments of every single dollar they have.

PS: They are not payment processors. they are aggregators, and thats why they do such acts. They are the middle man - taking money from here and putting it there, due to their banking relations. Just like Paypal. It's ILLEGAL for them to take part in these actions of holding reserves, because they are posing as a bank, which theyre not.

good luck with your business guys!

Tip for consumers: don’t leave a lot of money in your account.

lunas18
3/21/19

I just want to say there is no way this company should be allowed to legally operate with all the reports online against you. I recently had a charge on my account for a website from this payment platform that has no merchandise available, is an illegal concept, and also has about the same reputation as Stripe. (Cpnguru.com) this supposed merchant doesn't even have a privacy policy that is filled out or any contact details.

My bank will be handling this on my behalf but shame on Stripe. They should have been shut down a long time ago if they allow this type of activity.

karenb896
2/19/19

Someone created a fraudulent account with my business email address. I contacted Stripe immediately and did not hear back for three days. I was told I needed to filed a local police report and a report online with the federal government, which I did. I send them proof and they did not close out the account. In the mean time the person who opened the false account was making false charges under my name. Stripe finally cancelled my account because of the false charges, not because I showed them proof it was a fraudulent account, which would not have happened if they closed the account after I sent them proof of filing with the police. To make matters worse, they have deemed my account a "high risk" account because of the false charges.

edwardh182
2/1/19

Very bad service.I had a business selling used apple products which I would not have invoices or an authorization from Apple. To make a long story short the sent me an email stating that they not able to send payouts to my bank without proof of being authorized by apple. I explained I was unaware that I had to be authorized to sell used products. A day later I got an email that seemed like they were going to help.They falsely told me that if I send in my Id that they would resume my payouts immediately. Well that never happened.Then 2 days later they asked for a link to my store and I told them that I no longer have the store operational since I weren't able to get payouts for sells.Once again they acted like they were going to help. 2 days later I checked my payouts and found out they put all my money in a 90 day reserve.they never emailed me about the change now my payouts are scheduled for may 1st.how on earth they expect you to run a business on them terms.i was honest andupfront but they seem to not care.I been talking with attorneys and they think I may have a case.They have over $4800 from sales tied up which put a strain on my business and was my only source of income.

jakem121
11/27/18

Don't EVER use this company. Doing so will put your business and your systems at risk. No chargebacks and no complaints and a prosperous 2 year relationship equates to your organization being shutdown and only having 5 days to find another payment provider, offload all of your accounts, card information (which they don't let you export), subscriptions, deposit and payout history and the like for hundreds (possibly thousands of accounts--depending upon your size). They have NO phone support. Their blog article and claim to phone support is a lie. This is the worst experience I've ever had with a vendor. Beware. Go to Paymentcloud or SpotOn or Square. Square never did this to us. More information and stories like mine coming soon to stripesucks net

I now have less than 5 days to move over all of my customer profiles, payment information, subscriptions and products, deposit and payout history and the like. That's hundreds upon hundreds of accounts!!!

We're a local Technology Consulting company offering in-house services to our clients. If you do ANYTHING in IT -- this is NOT the Merchant for you.

If my story and the stories on the internet are any indication as to this companies baseless accusations and carlessness for your respect and business--this is NOT the Merchant for ANYONE.

They are dishonest (no chat--no phone number). Oh. You think because of their lying blog article you get phone support when logged in? Nope. Dishonest. Check 1. Too large to care about your micro-business or small business. Check 2. Slow response and unwillingness to provide substantial information or work with you to come up with a viable solution. Check 3. useless.. Run. Run far, far away.

Also, if you're reading this and you're pissed, Make a youtube video--tag stripe in it. Google loves video. I'll work on getting all the bad reviews in one place. Email me : jake@pcprojectsllc.com

qianw1
11/21/18

Like many others, I tried to use Stripe to process payments for my short term rental business. After one failed payment that was declined due to the customer having insufficient funds, instead of waiting for me to resolve it, Stripe decided to immediately lock out services on my account.

I contacted Stripe support multiple times, explaining in detail what happened from my point of view, and each time they responded with a generic copy-and-paste that did not relate to any of my specifics, and insisted that my business was too "high risk" for them to provide services. I call shenanigans on that as I know for a fact numerous other short term rentals use Stripe and they've partnered with multiple channel managers.

On my most recent communication with Stripe, I asked that even if they couldn't restore services to my account, at least GIVE ME AN EXPLANATION why they've locked me out. But no, their response to that was word for word the same generic tripe they used previously, and completely ignored my requests. They couldn't be bothered with my problem and decided it's easier to cut me off.

Your mileage may vary, and you may never run into the problems I did, and if so that's great, but I would caution any new users that your experience with Stripe might come to a grinding halt at any moment with you none the wiser about what you did wrong.

rudyr26
11/3/18

Big scam !! Watch out !!
2 same sites, same products, other language, just on another domain, 1 was accepted, 1 was rejected because in violation of their conditions. They don't even have plugins .....
They let you test, which takes hours and then .......

alexa277
11/2/18

Simply the worse company to do business with; what a joke!

No way to contact them; they don't answer email in a timely manner.

How do they manage to stay in business.

katherineg73
10/10/18

I honestly wondered if my interactions with them were a prank.

Stripe held onto $437 through several exchanges by telling me that I had broken their rules using Stripe to power a raffle. Meanwhile, they are the only payment option available on RaffleRiver.com.

They were not rude to me during our interactions. More like, they kept telling me things and asking for things that were so unacceptable, I kept wondering if someone was playing a prank.

If you want to use Stripe to power event registration / ticket purchasing, they do several insane things:
1) They hold onto a percentage of your sales indefinitely for "dispute resolution" purposes
2) They make you provide your contract with your event venue, and any contracts you have with other suppliers

But they bury both of these things in the red tape, and they don't have a "You can't move forward unless you provide..." function. They wait until they have your money and then they make you jump through hoops.

I closed my account after I got my final transfer and I'm happy to be gone.

samg171
9/26/18

Horrible company to do business with. Very difficult to work with. Stay away, you will waste your time and money dealing with their complete incompetence. Horrible customer service and dropped account without notice leaving me stranded.

gabr3
8/12/18

The service that this company provide is very expensive, worthless, and problematic. If something goes wrong you won't find a solution because the customer service is terrible. Nobody can help and Stripe must be the winner at all cost no matter if the service that they provided is done incorrectly. If you happened to be unsatisfied there is nothing and nobody to assist you. The customer service representatives' emails do not provide their last name or any information about their role within the company or phone number. All the customer service used the same email address just different people answers at all time. Can't get in touch with them. They have to get in touch with you. Their generic emails do not answer your questions... good luck to you! Further, they will hold the payment received for about 10 days and the exact charge for the transaction is calculated by them using percentage and cents. Customers will only know about the exact charge based on a percentage and until the other person pays you... the higher the amount the higher the fee, so BE AWARE AND BE VERY CAREFUL.

nesta
7/24/18

Very bad service, surface try to pretend help you. but did nothing. We accidentally click on the button without confirmation, and it was charged $6600, and it was mistake, and I did refund immediately, but they refused to refund any cent back to us. it was charged $192 for this wrong button click which was no confirm at all. Please use other company with the fees refunded service. they were not helpful from customer service. very disappointed at all. not recommended.

denisep147
7/18/18

I had a Facebook Marketplace store that I used to raise funds for our animal rescue at Christmas time. Someone ordered a pair of earrings last week and I shipped them off immediately because they are a friend of mine. They paid via Facebook payments, which go to Stripe. When I didn't see the money in my Paypal, I went into my Facebook Marketplace settings and discovered that (most likely an old volunteer) set up an account with Stripe to receive payments from Facebook. Luckily, until now, most people have used Paypal directly instead of going through Facebook to make a purchase. However, there is money in the Stripe account, and they are refusing to send it to me until July 25. In addition, they claimed that the payment for the earrings came through TODAY - even though I know they were paid for a week ago and were shipped then.

As soon as I get my money, I'm leaving Stripe and telling everyone to steer clear. Fees are more than Paypal, customer service is non-existent, and everything I'm seeing tells me their security is non-existent. I predict they won't be around much longer. I'm also sending an email to the Treasury Department about them.

adams89
7/7/18

Stay away! This payment processor not only allows fraudsters - it encourages them. It will be weeks before Stripe will tell you there is a problem, long after you've dutifully handled an order so that you not only lose the entire value of the transaction and the stock fulfilling the order, but also you will be slugged with an additional fee for the transaction being declared fraudulent.

This fee would be acceptable if Stripe had made efforts to prevent such a transaction taking place originally - but their fraud detection is nonexistent. They claim they have something called 'Radar' to help fight fraud, but they can't even check a postal address in their system.

Furthermore, you can't ring them either. Don't waste valuable money with these people - they will rip you off.

lisah573
6/26/18

I use Stripe to collect credit card payments from clients. Never had a problem. Always a smooth and immediate transaction.

richardt288
6/21/18

Been using stripe for a few years now, and I prefer it to PayPal. Where as withdrawals are manual with PayPal, they are near instantaneous, however Stripe has automatic rolling withdrawals, but you have to wait at least 7 days after being paid before you can access your funds.

dissapointedr
6/12/18

After a few weeks of payouts they informed me they asked me to provide some documents to them re authorisation. 5 hours later before I could oblige I got a wix message that my stripe account was closed and all my customers were refunded (a few thousand) (all the items were already shipped)
Emailed and they said once the account is closed everyone gets refunded and I should contact the customers to try and get them to pay again.
After embarrassingly contacting a few everyone stated they weren't ever refunded.
Contacted Stripe again to get more information for the customers and now stripe magically has NO RECORD of my account
IF I DIDN'T GET THE MONEY, NEITHER DID THE CUSTOMERS STRIPE JUST STOLE THE MONEY!

I am in the process of contacting my lawyer this is such a shocking scam please be careful and lawyer up before using them

Tip for consumers: SCAM, STOLE MONEY

dylanh66
6/8/18

DO NOT USE STRIPE. The platform is made for fraudulent payments, they offer no help to fight fraud apart from a few rules you can put in place which hardly work. They will then close your account due to the disputes (ALL FRAUD) and hold all of your funds for 90 days.

Appalling service if you can even call it that. Very damaging to small businesses!!!

briand302
6/4/18

I use both Stripe and Paypal. Stripe has a 7 day payout delay until you provide the ID. When the ID is uploaded and verified , Stripe says they'll payout in normal timeframes - but they do not. When an ID is uploaded they keep the payout schedule at 7 days which means with Stripe you'll actually be paid 1 week after you receive payment. Paypal have the funds cleared within 1/2-1 day typically.

I don't know why Stripe claim to offer 1-2 day settlements but they do not.

pamc113
5/31/18

Have a short term vacation property. My property manager just switched to strip 2 months ago. Completely booked for 10 weeks that they were paid. But I wasn't. Been waiting for 6 weeks and still waiting!! Switching property managers (that are doing a good job) just to get away from them

jackf93
5/1/18

Best by far and very reliable thanks for opening my account so fast and sending me tips on how to operate

joshh93
1/23/18

I was just notified from a company I was planning to order S9 Bitcoin Miners from that they are no loner able to take the order through their stripe and their funds have been seized for 45 day due to Stripe. I thought this was a free economy. I should be able to do what I want with my money and not have some third party tell me what I can and can't do. Banking institutions are scared of blockchain and the freedom it represents. Poor management and customer support from Stripe on this issue when I tried to contact them direct letting them know I indeed authorized this purchase.

davidp113
1/10/18

Stripe is the worse company ever, Please think twice before getting their services, you get no protection from them and you will lose alot of money for trusting them.

I have been selling since 2009. I have been using paypal all the time until I decided to give a stripe a chance. For many months everything was going great.

On 2017, I received about 907 payments on paypal and about 175 on stripe. One day I received a payment for $153 from a customer from Italy. I checked on stripe system and the payment seems to be fine.I even waited one week to ship the items. I shipped out 10 items worth $80 . 6 weeks later the customer reported the transaction as fraudulent. So ridiculous to think a normal human being do not bother to check their bank account.
In less than 24 hours stripe withdrawn the money from my bank account. I tried to respond to such chargeback and stripe lame system would not let me upload any pictures. I tried chroome and firefox. I tried two different computer and still not able to add those pictures to my "case". I contacted striped and demanded answers as they claim their system is safe for payment processing, That is totally FALSE and people can pay with stolen credit cards and stripe won't bother to send any alert. The last customer support rep I chatted with said This conversion is not productive and closed the chat . When you confront them , they still stop communicating with you. At least paypal has phone customer support and you can talk to a live person and they willl help you with the charge back. Stripe do not assume any responsibility. All they say is they can not fix or help and you have to deal with the bank. what bank if you do not get any info of the bank where the charge back was filled from.

so I lost the charge $ 153 plus stripe charged me $15 for a feee and $ 80 of my merchandise. The scammer must be laughing and how easy they scammed me.

Go with paypal or square. They are decent companies and they are least care about thier customers.

Stripe offers ZERO protection to sellers. I am a small seller and can not afford to give away my merchandise just because stripe is not doing their homework. their system is weak and not safe at all.

jps7
12/26/17

My business runs on subscriptions. Stripe makes it simple and affordable (by comparison with fees) to create an account and manage subscriptions. There are issues with notification and how to capture those subscribers whose CC are outdated or fail to charge. Better notification would make it easy to realize earlier and do so without so much manual labor. Daily notifications on incoming charges posted to my email is nice. Dashboard is nicely set up.

Tip for consumers: Do shop around. There are other platforms out there, but in my study of the competition STRIPE came out on top.

Helpful answer -1

Hi Jon, I'm sorry that you're having trouble with disputes -- they can be frustrating! Unfortunately, when your customer initiates a dispute with their bank, it's the bank that begins an investigation and makes the determination on who gets to keep the funds -- and often times, they do favor the customer. This process is facilitated by credit card networks, but Stripe helps with this process by submitting evidence that you provide, such as tracking numbers. Although we can't make disputes go away, we do try our best to make them a bit easier to manage. As a bit of background on how the dispute process works, the minute that we learn about a dispute from your cardholder's bank, the funds and an additional fee are taken out of our account. In the event that you're able to win a dispute, we return the full amount of the charge and the fee to you, though the fee that we are assessed is not returned to us by the bank. We return that fee because we feel strongly that businesses shouldn't be penalized for disputes that are resolved in their favor. Because it is expensive for us to return those fees in instances were the dispute is resolved in the business's favor, we aren't able to return the fees at other times. In addition, since disputes are a forced refund by the cardholder’s bank and not a voluntary one on your part, you remain responsible for the processing fees for the initial transaction. It can be tricky for even experienced businesses to understand how to handle a dispute, so we've spent time documenting the various circumstances under which a payment can be disputed, and how best to handle each -- I'd recommend taking a look at https://stripe.com/help/disputes to learn more. Please also take a look at https://stripe.com/help/disputes#how-can-i-prevent-disputes to learn more about preventing disputes. I hope this helps shed some light on our approach here. Again, I'm sorry that dealing with disputes are frustrating. Stripe actively dedicates resources to making this problem better and, over time, go away entirely. We can certainly look into your account and these specific disputes, if you'd like, if you send us a message at https://support.stripe.com/email.

By Stripe S., Stripe Representative
Questions? Get answers from the Stripe staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Stripe