Review of AirCanada

Tel: 1 888 422-7533
kathryn.mcclean@aircanada.com

briand497
3/9/19

I've been reading the reviews, and the complaints you see are very much the same issues that could arise with ANY airline, anywhere.
No leg room, bad service, overbooked, late, delay etc etc are issues that anyone who travels a lot has encountered and they are not just unique to Air Canada.

Admittedly, I am a bit biased. I am a Super Elite 1,000,000 mile member with Air Canada. Yes I get perks because of that, but there were many years of non status flying with them I had to do before I got to this status. Even so, I still encounter some of the aforementioned issues. I just returned from St. Lucia on a Rouge flight. Rouge tends to have less legroom than others and the seats are not very comfortable, but I knew that going in. The staff was wonderful though. I recently had delay after delay when trying to get out of Toronto to Heathrow etc. The more you travel, the less affected you become by the issues that drive infrequent travelers nuts. Don't get me wrong....I get that it is very frustrating. But when you are a very frequent traveler, you learn that stuff happens, no matter where you are and you have to go with the flow. Easier said than done, I know. But if you are expecting to jump on a plane and have all the comforts of home and have everything go 100% smooth all the time and no issues, then you're better off taking a train.

I've traveled on many different airlines over the years, and I really can't think of one that I would not fly on again. I'm always very happy to see an Air Canada plane when I've been over seas for an extended trip. I've always been treated well, have (knock on wood) only had my luggage lost ONCE in over 25 years of frequent flying with Air Canada, and have the utmost respect for all on flight staff.

I'm proud to be an AIr Canada customer and hope to continue doing so for many years to come.

miguell20
12/15/18

My daughter travelled from Lima to Montreal on flight 1943 on December 15th with her husband and two children.And she told me at the airport it was the worst flight in her life -and she travelled a lot.
Reasons:
-No room for legs
-No entertainment , no screens on the
plane.You have to download an app to
your device but if you do not carry one
obviously you will not be able to access
anything.
- Nothing but water on board.No coke
no juice, nothing
- Only one kind of breakfast totally
unhealthy Scrambled eggs with
sausages and potatoes.My
daughter could not give that food to
her child and there was nothing to give
her not even a piece of bread or a
cracker and that after the child's last
meal was 12 hours before .
-And the most repulsive and unhealthy
thing :the restroom floor was full of
used toilet paper .Apparently the container to drop it was not working and there was no crew to take care of it. And by the way the crew was nowhere to be seen during the night at their usual place in the back of the airplane .
My advice STOP BEING ABUSED. DO NOT FLY AIR CANADA LIMA MONTREAL

sachac23
11/22/18

This review is about how poorly Air Canada manage the delayed luggage.I flew from Montreal to Phoenix via Toronto. Toronto-Phoenix is a line highly demanded but we flew on a very small plane : there was no room for cabin luggage that were sent to luggage bay. And my checked luggage did not make it to Phoenix.The Air Canada employees (Erin and Tarpan) in Phoenix were very reassuring. it was monday 11:30pm and they told me that the luggage was still in Toronto and will be delivered at home tomorrow morning. On tuesday morning, no bag was delivered and I phone to customer service : they told me the luggage was not even located and the employees of AC at airport told me this just to see me disappear. LESSON 1 : Never trust an employee from Air Canada.On wenesday, 48h after the lost of my luggage, I phone back to customer service and the status of luggage was still "lost". I took the name and number of the employee and asked to speak to his supervisor. The supervisor called me back 5 minutes later to tell me that the bagage was found in the meantime. LESSON 2 : Never think that Air Canada is doing its best to find your luggage. Call and call back and take employee numbers and names and ask a supervisor, and THEN they are doing their best. I spent 500USD that day to replace some sporting goods in the luggage, but the supervisor gave me only 200USD of compensation given that the bag will be delivered on flight AC1837 the next day, on Thursday, at 12:13pm. The delivery at home could take 24h, so I said I will come to the airport. The worst of the story starts here.At 12pm, the status of my luggage on "world tracker" website (that gives you the status of your bag) was still indicating that the bag was on flight 1837 that left toronto at 8am. I came to the airport and surprisingly (or not), the bag was not there. An employee (I took his name and number) told me that the status of the bag changed 15 minutes after landing of flight 1837 : the status is now that the bag will arrive at midnight, via flight 1835. LESSON 3 : Never trust world tracker website : even if the bag is not on the plane, the status indicates the opposite even after landing of the plane 4 hours later ! The incompetence of the employees makes this website useless.At this point it was impossible to trust anyone from Air Canada as it was the second lie about the arrival of my luggage. I asked explanation to the employee and he showed me on his computer that my bag was a rush bag (a bag delayed due to no space in the plane, remember the plane is very small). QUESTION : Why Air Canada did not tagged my delayed bag as urgent (72h delay at this time) as they are supposed to do with delayed bag ?I finally got my luggage on friday at 1am after coming 12h later at the airport.I deeply regret to have already booked my next trip to Australia with Air Canada. I will have 2 bags, and it looks like that 1) some planes are clearly too small on some lines and 2) they poorly manage the lost bags and they are far from doing their best to forward them to you, and sometimes use lies to get rid of you.Need another proof of incompetence ? On the way back, same line (Phoenix - Toronto), same ridiculously small plane, there was not surprisingly no room for my cabin luggage, and it was sent to luggage bay. But they put the WRONG name on the luggage tag ! I saw the name of another passenger on the tag and had to quickly ask to put the RIGHT tag on my luggage unless it would be lost somewhere. LESSON 4 : Always double check what employees are doing, and ask proof when they said they did the things well.

kellyo68
11/19/18

Nice service, decent food, but overpriced for what you get. After flying Emirates, the planes and service at Air Canada pale in comparison.

jodyh17
8/30/17

Greetings. My trip -- June 26 to July 14, 2017 -- from Medellin where I live to visit my 83-year old mother in Canada was one from hell.
First of all, there was a delay from Bogota to Toronto of six hours which turned into nine. I asked for a complimentary pass to the lounge. Since Im a writer, I need space to work and an area where I can concentrate.
The woman I was talking with couldnt make a call, so she asked her supervisor who couldnt do it either. The Air Canada staff in Colombia seem to have the collective decision-making power of an ameba.
Giving me a pass to the lounge would have cost Air Canada a bit of food and drink, but I would have been a happy flyer. Instead I was given a voucher for 25,000 about $12 CAD for lunch. There is no way you are going to get fat on that at airport restaurants.
Vouchers for dinner were not available. Instead they showed up with junk food that I would never normally eat. It tasted about the same going down as it did coming up.
On the return flight, I ended up with a window seat. I always want aisle seats and had done so when I booked the ticket on January 24th, 2017. The ticket was changed three times. More annoyance.
It was a full flight so I ended up stuck with the window. Consequently, I went 33 hours with no sleep. It took me about three days to recover when I got back to Medellin.
I contacted customer service a number of times. Eventually, they sent me a code to claim a discount. The offer of a 15 percent discount on my next flight simply doesnt cover the problems I encountered with Air Canada.
I originally wrote this letter to Michael Stein from customer service, but it was merely a no-reply email address with the discount code.
When I called again and all the agent could advise was that I contact customer services, I decided that it was time to by-pass them and go directly to the top. Since customer service couldnt give me anything more than a no-response option, I decided to turn this into an open letter.
I think a reasonable reimbursement would be a return ticket from Medellin to Saskatoon, a complimentary upgrade to business class or 25 lounge vouchers.
Cut and copied below is an article I wrote for The Travel Itch about my experience with Air Canada in 2012.
Thank-you for your attention to this matter and I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Jody Hanson
Also posted on:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/jody.hanson.5070?hc_ref=ARQQyR0_Nk_YDWvbsiKofblAP_wYlWbSywDIJmGNMrWYEW3MR67RSPsn14P7Ilkz7N8&fref=nf
Twitter -- https://www.facebook.com/jody.hanson.5070?hc_ref=ARQQyR0_Nk_YDWvbsiKofblAP_wYlWbSywDIJmGNMrWYEW3MR67RSPsn14P7Ilkz7N8&fref=nf

Stuck with Air Canada:
62 Hours from BOG to YXE
By Jody Hanson
If you are on the Air Canada flight to Toronto, come with me. Tim Bridges, a passenger, took it upon himself to go through the airport and muster the passengers of the cancelled flight 963 from Bogota to Toronto.
The benign chaos reminded me of living in Nigeria. The first indication of a flight being delayed or cancelled was the airline staff quietly going into hiding, as nobody wanted to cop the flack.
But this was Colombia and if it hadn't been for Tim taking charge, people may well have been stuck in the airport overnight, afraid to leave in case the flight was finally called. The frustration was that there were no Air Canada representatives to be found, no announcements, and no attempt to locate the stranded.
To backtrack, when I left the hotel at 10:30 a.m. there was no message from Orbitz an online booking site that sends messages of a delay. When I checked in at the airport half an hour later, however, an agent at Air Canada announced that the 14:00 flight had been postponed until 17:30 and handed me a lunch voucher. I wished she hadn't.
The Presto restaurant is best described as disgusting, and about the only thing on offer is hamburgers. I was hungry, so I ate one. Bad decision. Almost as soon as the somewhat-off grease hit my stomach it made an upward rebound.
And when food tastes the same coming up as it does going down you know it is truly revolting. It wasn't that there was a shortage of restaurants at the airport; the issue was that Air Canada opted for the most el cheapo one available.
When I got to the Star Alliance lounge and checked my email I found six messages from Orbitz, each stating that the flight had been further postponed. The final projection was for 22:13, a mere eight hours and 13 minute delay. Still no contact of any kind from representatives of Air Canada.
I used Skype and talked with Linda at the Air Canada help desk in Toronto. She informed me that the airline was awaiting inbound equipment. Neither of us could figure out what that meant.
I inquired about the flight at the lounge desk and the staff replied there was no word from Air Canada and they weren't answering their phone. Eventually I went to the desk with the "flight cancelled" message on the laptop screen. Shortly after, Oscar finally an Air Canada representative who was helpful appeared and we were taken to the Holiday Inn at about 20:00, six hours after the flight should have departed.
Nothing makes people bond faster than a common unpleasant experience. Rumours about what had happened abounded. The leading contender was that the flight had left for Bogota, but a passenger had gone ballistic so the plane had returned to Toronto. The runner-up was that it was mechanical problems, and trailing in third place was that there had been a storm.
The mute representatives from Air Canada would not offer an explanation. Did they know or does Air Canada management regard reasons for delays as corporate secrets?
Landed with a couple of hundred or so it seemed unexpected guests, the staff at the Holiday Inn were overwhelmed and kicked into a go-slow mode. After procuring a room and having a fast shower to wash away the grime of the airport, there was only one sane and reasonable thing to do: Go to the bar and drink Scotch.
Our flight was rescheduled for the following afternoon at 14:00, 24-hours after we were to have departed. The line-up was ridiculous and the check-in speed next door to dead stop. The bumped passengers and the ones booked on the flight for the day milled around. Boarding cards were replaced and we eventually ended up in the waiting area, hoping the plane would actually leave.
And we all had a story. Danielle Gutstein reported that the night before she had been told to wait here for food vouchers for dinner.
Then the representative from Air Canada disappeared and didn't return for three hours. And when she was spotted given away by her uniform she made a studious attempt to avoid the passengers clamoring for her attention.
Another passenger and her fiancé had come in from Lima to catch a connecting flight and never wanted to stop in Colombia, as they had heard it was too dangerous. They ended up with an extra passport stamp they hadn't counted on.
The scheduled-for 14:00 plane didn't leave Bogota until 15:10. Even though my math skills are questionable, it didn't take rocket science to figure out that with an hour and a half to make my connection to Saskatoon, it wasn't going to happen. Consequently, I had to spend a night in Toronto. And totally reprehensible was that Air Canada selected hotel didn't even have a bar for some soothing Scotch.
The Air Canada representative in Toronto booked me on the 16:10 flight to Saskatoon. The next morning I checked online and discovered I could have been on the 11:00 or the 13:00. However, by the time I got through to a representative it took 27 minutes it was dodgy to make the 11:00.
And I would be wait-listed on the 13:00 with no guarantee I wouldn't get to spend an additional three fun-filled hours at the Lester B. International. Pass and opt for a late check-out.
When I finally emerged from the plane in Saskatoon I'd chalked up 62 hours from the time I'd arrived at the airport in Bogota. It was difficult, but I managed to restrain myself and not kiss the ground like John Paul II.
About the only good thing I have to say about the trip is that at least my bags arrived, although both of them were damaged. As an aside, I've quit counting the number of times Air Canada has lost my luggage.
Given my consistently annoying experiences with the airline, the obvious solution is to avoid Air Canada. Alas, when you live overseas, book your tickets online and have to get to central Canada to visit your ageing parents it isn't much of a travel option as the train takes too long.
So let's just hope that passengers like Tim Bridges continue to do Air Canada's job.
Jody Hanson is a Canadian freelance writer and travel junkie currently living in Buenos Aires. She has visited 98 countries, lived in eight and holds passports for three.

maggiez9
8/24/17

We booked a flight with air Canada, and we were rejected boarding because the flight was overbooked, they refused to compensate us and told us we had to rebook a flight that departs from another city. They even made us pay for the price difference between two flights and the transportation to that city.

One of my friend got the boarding pass first, but then air Canada told us that the plane is full so we cannot board. The airline admitted first that the plane was overbooked and we got kicked out because we bought the cheap tickets. But then, they quickly changed their reasoning to "you guys are late", even though the one of us "late" passengers got the boarding pass just a second ago.

Also not quite sure why they had to repeat again and again that we could have boarded if we have bought the preferred seat for some extra $$. If they are willing to sell some tickets for cheap, they should serve those who bought them!

Worst airline experience ever, I deeply regret being a loyal customer and accumulate over 20,000 miles with them.

kimw40
6/16/14

Pleasantly surprised with Air Canada. Have had horrid trips in past, this time I was going to China - here we go! However everything was great. Service was kind, no troubles, no delays. Quite impressed! Keep it up AC!

bobbym26
3/30/14

Such great service! Used them three times over the past few years and they are so nice and organized. Great flight with roomy seats

carlys
5/23/11

I love Air Canada! Every flight I've had with them has been wonderful. Booking through them is extremely easy and straight forward. I get to see the information and photos of the plane and pick my seat. They show all of the rates for the day you're looking at with possible upgrades, along with tabs that show the cheapest price for dates the week before and after. They've been the cheapest option every time I fly to canada, and the only one that doesn't have layovers. Other airlines always want to divert to Detroit or Cleveland before taking me to Toronto. The one time I had to change a flight, the fee was only $75 (much lower than others) and the employees were very helpful. They send reminders for the flights and allow you to set up e-mail and/or text reminders, along with information on any delays. The only delays I've experienced have been because of runway closures, nothing to do with the airline itself.

Questions? Get answers from the AirCanada staff and other customers.

3 Photos for AirCanada