Review of Abe's of Maine

Tel: 1-800-992-2237
info@abesofmaine.com

trishan11
1/29/19

had the opportunity to go to the "store" since I live 15 miles away...this a bad setup...not a store at all, just a bunch of offices & storerooms. No stock or display cases or anything that would suggest a legit business. They could not upsell me (they tried) as I knew exactly what I wanted. ALL their merchandise is grey market or used, hence the low prices. As long as you go in with your eyes wide open and don't need the usa warranties it's not a bad deal,but never and I mean NEVER buy anything online from these people

larryk366
1/10/19

When I purchased advertised price it ended up costing me approx $400 more than advertised. Will never order from this company again!!

georgeb533
12/15/18

Do not. I repeat do not be enticed by the cheap prices for photographic equipment. This has been the worst online purchase of all time. I purchased an 85mm Sigma Art lens two months ago for my Nikon D810. The lens does not focus on the spot you select. I have been trying for 50 days to return the defective lens, but Abes of Maine's customer service wont give me an RMA number to return the lens. I spoke the person at Abes, Lisa Berry, and provided what she requested. After that, silence. She does not respond. STAY AWAY!!

sm332
11/26/18

Placed an order for an OLED TV, and picked the free shipping. Within few minutes get an email from Jeff Stevens of Abe, asking me to call (red flag #1) before the order can be processed - it doesn't state why I need to call.

When I called, was told that I have to pay $300 for shipping insurance. When I questioned that there is no requirement for insurance during order submission, it went down by $100.

Still not satisfied, I asked that the order be on hold, and told him that I will call back. Researched their FAQ's, and called back saying I don't want to buy if they want me to pay for insurance. Immediately Jeff says that he will take the insurance requirement out and they will pay for it. When I questioned why I was asked to pay first over the phone but not anymore, he gets rude and says doesn't have time to chit-chat.

Not satisfied with the shady nature of the whole deal, I asked that the order be cancelled. If it doesn't get cancelled as requested, I will have to call my Credit card issuer to deal with these guys.

Stay away from Abe's.

robind140
10/28/18

Abe's of Maine does not stand behind the products they sell or their warranties.
I bought a Canon 5D Mark III Digital SLR and a 2-year warranty that was supposed to cover everything but malicious damage and losing the camera. The camera was used extensively around water, but was not dropped in the water. It started working poor, so we took it to an authorized dealer who said there was moisture inside and could not be fixed. I contact Abe's warranty company, New Leaf, and explained the camera was not dropped in the water but there is moisture damage. New Leaf said the camera was not covered, had I dropped in the water it would have been covered; but since I was truthful and explained it was used around water New Leaf would not honor the warranty.
I then contact Abe's of Maine and Lisa, the Customer Service Manager, said they would "make this right". After trying for several months for Abe's to cover the warranty and "make it right", Abe's offered to give me back what I paid for the warranty, I don't want the warranty payment back; that would be like paying car insurance and when you need the insurance they give you your premium back with no coverage. Wednesday, October 24, Abe's of Main offered to SELL me a camera at a discount. I don't want to buy another camera from Abe's, I want the camera replaced under the warranty.
I first contact New leaf and Abe's in July and four months later I am still trying to get Abe's to do the right thing and honor the warranty I purchased on the camera from them.

litak2
9/20/18

Just purchased the Sony A600 which is advertised for $998. Apparently, This does not come with a battery, charger, etc. Just the body. Add another $100 and you can get a battery. They threw in the charger that normally comes with the camera which is just a cord you attach directly to the camera. When i ordered the camera the man Jeff Stevens said that he would include a battery charger for free because it was my first purchase with them. He included the chord for the charger but not the actual charger piece. I called him and he said he doesn't recall the conversation. I told him that half of the charger was in the box. He got snippy with me and transferred me to customer service which my phone call was not picked up and eventually dropped off. Not good customer service at all!

morrye
6/5/18

Twice now Abe's of Maine has "sold" me a camera at a very good price. The first time they called me and wanted me to pay for "extras". I declined, and the next thing I knew my order was canceled. This time they placed my order in "back ordered" for nearly three month. When I looked on line today at the status is was "cancelled", though I didn't cancel it. I emailed them and got a call back saying I can order an "American" model for $110 more. I declined and they wanted to cancel the order rather than maintain the charade of "back ordered". I will never use them again and don't see why anyone else would either.

sergeis9
4/25/18

Classic BAIT AND SWITCH! Very BAD & Tricky vendor... I bought 86" TV on line and next day received a call from sales representative trying to sell me accessories and Insurance ($599). After, when he found out that I am not interested, they cancel the order...

kevind168
4/23/18

Total false advertising. they show a canon 5d iv save $1300 so I oder , then I get a call asking if I want batteries and charger I said of course. They guy said you need the US model so the price changes by $400 for US model, nothing on the website says the low price is for a Japanese model . So I call the next day and finally after about 10 tries to get through I told them to cancel my order , the guy lies to me and says its shopped 6 hours later I get a shipping confirmation saying the the label has just now been printed. He could have stopped the order . This place is not to be trusted I would never do business with them again.

lindaj219
4/16/18

After being requested to call to verify order, salesman tries to sell me a "better" deal for more money, which I refused. But when I asked it the camera lenses were American, he told me no, they were European model, which have no warranty in the U.S. He said if they were American models, it would say so. So why doesn't it say in the description that they are European models. He did not volunteer the information. Cancelled order.

pauln185
4/11/18

Order an item. Phone to verify. Some story, not in stock. Upsell attempt from $250 to $400. No thanks refund. We know where to find you. Terrible. I didn't think an established company would use these tactics now.

fredh118
3/30/18

Just stay away from this place. Classic BAIT AND SWITCH. Ordered a lens from them. A few days later get a call saying that I ordered the international version of the lens and it may not work with my camera ( red flag ) and does not include lens caps or lens hood (these are listed as being included on their website) I asked to be sold the US version. I paid an extra $190 for the upgrade. This brought the price up to what everyone else sells this lens for. Their website does not mention anything about the lens being a grey market lens. There is not another version to even order. So they suck you in with a low price, then get you to upgrade and still sell you a grey market product. Very unethical, maybe even illegal bussiness practice. When the lens arrived, the paperwork indicated that it was NOT the US version but a grey market version. I paid for the US version and was shipped the grey market lens. I even checked the serial number with Sigma and it was confirmed the lens was a grey market lens. I have made multiple attempts to contact Abes of Maine and they have not responded. 4 emails and no response.

I would never do business with these people again and would recommend that everyone stay away from this place.

andrewc247
Andrew C.
2/24/18

the pricing was great. I also felt there was a high level of trust and security placed in the transaction. The picture in the deluxe bundle appeared to have more things in it than were outlined. And it was not clear what was already included with simply purchasing the lens alone. THANKS!

kimberlyw88
Kimberly W.
2/23/18

Great service! :) SO HAPPY you have the D850!!!! Looking forward to taking pics over the next couple years with this awesome camera!!!

rosseg
Rosse G.
2/22/18

I ordered a camera for a Christmas present a month ago and received an email confirmation that the order went through. I received no further communications until today when I flew into where I would be spending Christmas and found no package. Only to log in and find that my account said the credit card was declined. I had no reason to think the transaction would be declined and therefore was completely unaware, as the confirmation process (shows your credit card being processed) and nothing errored. I'm still not sure why it was declined, I would have appreciated a communication, and now the body won't arrive until I am back in San Francisco with no time to actually use it with my father. And I refuse to pay $80 for one-day shipping, to make up for a lapse in communication I do not believe was mine.

robertj288
Robert J.
2/19/18

Great pricing for a quality product, fast checkout with security validation; I like that kind of security protection. :)

michaelk321
Michael K.
2/18/18

Smooth transaction, wouldn't hesitate to use again. Always professional with great customer service.

garyr140
Gary R.
2/18/18

so far It has been a good experience. Let's see how it goes once I receive product should any questions come up.

tristanj5
Tristan J.
2/17/18

Found exactly what I was looking for and price was very good. Quick, easy, and well designed checkout.

roberts863
Robert S.
2/16/18

Went online and pulled up many promotional discounts. But my online purchase would not allow any. Called and was told there is no discount. very disappointed as there were many listed on the website.

denisep95
Denise P.
2/15/18

referred by my husband the photographer, so if he likes it will be back...I know nothing about this site or the product I ordered :-)

susanc380
Susan C.
2/13/18

I liked the very thorough description of the camera I just purchased as a Christmas Gift for my husband. Your website is easy to navigate. I enjoyed shopping Abe's of Maine.

gregl106
Greg L.
2/11/18

The camera price quoted was for a gray market camera. Once confirmed via phone call, and switched to a US/Canada model, the price was not that great and there were better deals on the market (free battery grip, etc.). Camera came on time and was fine, but the original advert should have been clearer if it wasn't a US model.

troyf28
Troy F.
2/11/18

I have used Abe's in the past and have always been pleased with the service and prices. That's why I keep coming back!

carlas89
Carla S.
2/10/18

Your list price was a little better than average retail ...but....to get pieces normally included I had to pay extra. In the end I ended up paying more than I could get it elsewhere.

The Samsung TV I was about to buy from Abe's was a CANDIAN model, only a 60 day warranty. I contacted Samsung to find out the difference, excerpt from live-chat: 1. The technical information and specifications of a TV vary from country to country. Also, the voltage and the signal broadcast system vary from place to place. 2. Samsung USA TV's model code ends with XZA, which indicates that it is a USA manufactured TV. 3. All Samsung TVs have a one year warranty for parts and labor from the date of purchase. The warranty will be covered only to USA TVs. So glad I checked - make sure you double check those last few digits.

By ec w.

Questions? Get answers from the Abe's of Maine staff and other customers.

3 Photos for Abe's of Maine