US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 303 reviews)

erind18

Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. (in 302 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 63 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

annk13
6/19/14

I sent a authentic Fendi bag and Manolo Blahnik shoes. They have received and sent me an email that I could have cashed out after 10:00p.m. pst on 6/18/14. It is now 6/19/14 11:30a.m. pst and still no cashout. When I sent emails prior to 6/18 I always received a quick response from Jamie, but today I sent to emails and left a phone message that I want my cashout now. I sent my two (2) high end items a the end of May and they acknowlege receipt on June 4. After I did not receive a response I decide to read the reviews. This company is also recommended by a finanical analyst on the Kiplinger's report which I heard on a local radio station. She stated it was a way to earn extra money. I will send another review when I get paid, but thus far I am very concerned and for sure I will never use again.

bettyo2
6/18/14

The payouts for the items I sent in were mostly pennies wish they would up the payouts. Or maybe give you more money if you order from their sight and not cash out. Also wish they had baby and mens clothing. I had only one problem ordering pants. But was resolved quickly. Quality of items are great and I still order stuff from them. Shipping takes a little too long. Buy well worth the wait.

andreas176
6/18/14

I love this company. They have an outstanding business model. I have both bought clothes and sold both childrens and women's clothing. I was very happy with the what I was paid for my clothing (I also knew exactly what to expect by using the calculator on their site). I got my daughter summer wardrobe here and we love it. Great brands for a great value. Everything we received was in perfect condition. Their high buying standards show in the excellent quality of the clothing they sell.

stefanieu
6/15/14

I'm a seller and buyer at this site. The bag of clothing items I sent in only got me a total of $16, so I think from now on I'll stick with bringing my items to local consignment stores. But as for the items I've ordered from the Thred Up I have been very pleased. The descriptions are accurate and most things I've purchased have been a great deal. I have their app on my phone and get alerts for discount codes which I have used and have made it even a better deal for me. I don't purchase often but when I do I am pleased.

juned6
6/13/14

I have bought clothes for myself including shoes, as well as clothes for my grandchildren. All have been high quality and clean and just as described. A very good value. Delivery has always been prompt. I will continue to shop on ThredUP.

florap1
6/12/14

Purchased "practically new" shoes back in April, and today was only the 3rd time I had worn them, one shoe ripped apart. Luckily, since I was a new customer I had a discount and free shipping on the items purchased. Otherwise, I would have been pretty pissed off. As for the kids clothes I have purchased through them, so far so good.

staceys9
6/5/14

I have used this website for selling and purchasing clothes. When I compare it to our local clothing exchanges, it is pretty comparable considering I do not have to leave the house. I would expect the same credit amount that I would get from a brick and mortar clothing exchange, but so far have not sent anything high end...I don't make that much to begin with:) I will continue to buy and sell through Thred Up and recommend it to my friends and family.

melissad23
6/4/14

Sent in all brand new clothing and they claimed they couldn't accept any of it/pay me for it. WHAT A SCAM!!!!!!! Do not use this website, they will steal your clothing and not pay you for it!!!! They need to be reported and shut down!

chrisw68
6/2/14

I was somewhat please with items I purchased. I ordered a clean out bag and did everything by the book online. I even checked on what the items should give me in return. I was quite shocked to say the least that all my items, which were high end and some were new with tags, was $9.95. Then they send you an email showing how much the stuff sold for. That's great, where's my share of that? I will never send them items again to sell. I would make out better getting the tax deduction by donating them. Very disappointed!

jessa16
6/2/14

Honestly I was expecting to get a good amount of money for my clothes. I had a brand new item with tags and all and they did not except it. I sent in a full bag of clothes and only got paid $5! And the clothes were brand name, Hollister, abercombie and Fitch, American eagle and more. I had brand new Hollister yoga pants that I did not get paid for. I'm very unsatisifed and I will definitely not send out another bag. You can get so much more money from platos closet!

rachelw30
5/31/14

I have mainly been a buyer here and have LOVED it!! I buy knowing that maybe not everything is going to fit perfectly but if half the items fit right it is so worth the price!! In the end though I've been surprised and excited to have all but 1 item fit right each order. AWESOME! :) I have been a seller as well but I was fine with how it all turned out unlike some others. If you are looking for a large payout for your items then this is not the place for you, sell your items individually on ebay if that's what you want, but if you are looking for a convenient way to get rid of things that you otherwise would give away or donate and wouldn't mind a small amount of $ credited to your account for a future purchase then send them here! I was happy with it all. :)

nv14
5/31/14

I sent a bag chock full of gorgeous women's dresses, most that had been worn only once. They were all cleaned and pressed. What did I receive for my bag? A whopping $23. They wanted the child's Easter dress I bought at Sam's. Really? They took a few other things, mostly child's apparel. I am terribly disappointed. I was SURE they'd sell the 14 other items I sent. This is not a smart place to send your clothing! Next time, I'll be sure to give unwanted clothing to friends who will enjoy each piece.

emilieg
5/29/14

I've had a pretty good experience buying clothes on this site. I've bought quality clothes for a fair price.
My complaints would be the amount of time shipping takes. 2 weeks seems pretty long for clothes to be put in a box and sent out. Also I wish there would be a better description of the clothing, like what material, fit, and if there are flaws what exactly is wrong with the item.
With all the negative reviews on selling your clothes them I think that's something I will pass on trying.

kimb290
5/23/14

Love this site! Everything I have ordered has been like new and super low prices. I have been very pleased with them. I recommend them to others all the time.

jackiet12
5/23/14

I have been both a buyer and seller.

BUYER: I love the site! There is a great selection of clothes, great prices, and everything is in new condition. I bought a couple things for my 5 year old daughter and everything was even better in person than in the photos. And it was received pretty quickly.

SELLER: Okay, so it takes a long time to get any payout from the bag of items you sent in. Even if in your opinion everything was great condition they may only take 10% of the items and donate the rest. If you have a strong attachment to anything you can get the clothes they didn't accept sent back to you. Yes, they don't give you a large payout by any means, but it's convenient; they send you a bag, you put stuff in it and mail it back. Pretty easy.

jenniferd32
5/22/14

I am very impressed with the clothing they sell and the amount of money I get from selling my clothing to them. Great company.

lynellel
5/22/14

I have only used this site as a buyer and so far everything that I have purchased has been wonderful. This makes it easy to create a professional work wardrobe without breaking the bankd.

marquitac
5/20/14

I like this site I find a lot of stuff for me and my little girl name brand and love the bags they have. So, far I've won $100 for share what I like on facebook so far so good.

debs16
5/20/14

All the BAD Press you read about them is, sad but TRUE. Do not send any items you are willing to lose completely or earn only a few cents on. They block and review any comments left on their Facebook, which is a RED FLAG!!!. THEY SAY THEY DONATE CLOTHES THEY DONT BUY, prove it then!! not with just a name but with PROOF this company actually Donates your pieces. You can not find any proof..I sell all over the net on several different avenues, This place is a Real Scam. Be SMART, do not donate anything that cost you more then a few bucks to buy new. If you notice, their site is mostly now just Gap and crap, because people with higher end QUALITY pieces will not ship to Thredup. Try Twice or Tradesy, both honest great sites and pay for whats its worth. Twice is strict on their rules but you do get a tax credit or can buy back for 5 bucks, the whole bag. When you see great reviews on this company it usually connected to their site and they delete any negatives.Several of us have tested this company, FAILED results.Send lower quality items, thats all they buy anyway and wait 3 months to get paid the $1.90 or so they owe you..They take forever to pay you, because they probably dont have the money until they make sales...Youve been warned, read all the reviews, be smart and try and see the glowing reviews for what they are, probably placed there by a Thredup staff member.

kellyl29
5/11/14

I tell everyone about Thredup! I have bought and sold and now even use it for fundraising! It's a great site. I have bought stuff for my kids and myself. I have bought several pairs of Banana Republic pants that are like new. I wear them ALL the time and the price was awesome. Less than $20 a pair. I like the search feature. Makes it easy to find what you are looking for. I Have sent in at least 4 bags. The prices are fair and the process is so easy. I have tried the in-person stores - never again. Thredup is it for me!

teachad
5/11/14

I would give 5 stars based on my experience as only a buyer not a seller, except that there are no loyalty incentives. I shop there often and yet there are no discounts or coupons offered. I'm definitely not the type to try to get referrals. I'm not a Thredup sales associate, just a customer. :)

The clothes I have gotten were mostly very good quality, One dress I got that say's it is 100% silk, feels like sandpaper? I think it should have been listed as flawed in that case. I will likely shop there again if they ever give me a coupon, haha!

kristineg4
5/9/14

its nice to find some good quality used clothing at great prices. I love shopping for bargains but thrift stores can be a pain sometimes. Especially when you're looking for something specific.

cyndyn
5/9/14

I have had very good experiences with ThredUp! I feel like the turn around time for orders is very quick. The communication is wonderful. The hard part is picking out clothes and 'guessing' if they will fit for me as an adult. But 95% of everything has fit great! I love having a credit and buying items for my kids since my daughter is rough with all her clothes at 7 years old. Sometimes the prices turn me away, but overall I have been very satisfied and share the site with friends. I just wish my friends would sign up using my link so I can rack up some credits :) Other than that paying for shipping is a bummer on all online sites, but I get it and try to beat it by spending a tiny bit extra!

corinal
5/8/14

I never had a problem with the items I've purchased, but that last bag I sent in had a lot of items for both kids and women in it. Some of those items were new with tags from good brands, including a brand new pair of boots still in the box. Only a few were accepted (no credit for those boots BTW) and I hardly got anything back for them. I suspect that the person processing my bag was a size 6 shoe and a size 2 in clothing. Since I didn't pay the $10 fee to have the items that weren't accepted returned to me whoever it was got to keep a few of brand new dresses, a lightly used leather coat and a new pair of boots that I could have traded or sold on another site. TOTAL SCAM.

ashleys60
5/6/14

I love thredup.com! I love getting the chance to earn money to spend on the site when new people sign up through my link!
I really enjoy the variety of clothes you can choose from for great prices.

sarahb87
5/5/14

I have ordered several times and have always been happy with quality of items. I will never send clothes in because their payout is ridiculous. Some items I find way over priced for used so I pass over them and do not buy.

corinned1
5/2/14

I buy almost all of my and my kids clothes from consignment or thrift stores. ThredUp is my go to when I need nicer formal occasion dresses or clothes for my kids because they have a large variety and good quality clothes.

maryr57
4/30/14

I have both sold and purchased clothes for my kids here, and been completely satisfied with every transaction. On one bag sent in, I made over $25 and used it to immediately buy 8 dresses for my daughter, that she has worn in all seasons over the last year! I whole-heartedly endorse them.

kristeng1
4/30/14

I love thredup.com! I have used it to order clothes on several occasions, and I have loved everything that I have received! Quality of the clothes was excellent and the shipping was fast and efficient. I have not yet sold anything, but will be sending my first bag within the next couple of weeks!

stacyb43
4/26/14

Easy purchasing, easy selling

ivas
4/25/14

I have used this site only a few times but every time has been a good experience. I was looking for clothes for a little girl and had no problems searching for the exact items I was looking for. I am even considering their selling option.

rachela12
4/24/14

I've shopped twice so far and only 2 piece of clothing had problems out of the 16 I got. I only bought the clothes they marked "like new", however one pair of jeans had obviously mended by thread before on the inside thigh area, which I noticed but not a huge deal. Another piece they marked for size 0-2 but when I got it it's so big that obviously it's wrong size. But then it was like $6 so I wasn't really mad. I can't comment on the pay they give to sellers yet, though I sent a bag few days ago but those are the clothes I plan to donate anyway, nothing real fancy. Overall the shopping experience was enjoyable, price is reasonably low, only thing I dislike is shipping, which usually takes about 2 weeks from the day you ordered and it's probably the slowest shipping I've ever seen.

rebeccan9
4/21/14

I have no complaints with ThredUp.com. The pricing is fair on quality, to-date clothing, orders arrive in a timely matter (in CUTE packaging) and all returns I've made, the credit appeared on my account within a reasonable time. I am a fan!

angelc15
4/18/14

Here is what Ive noticed...I have sent in several bags and of course, higher end items are not purchased, only the pieces they give a few cents on.. What happends to the new with tag pieces i sent?..I can not get tax credit because they dont really seem to be connected to tax outlet. I used Thredup AND Twice and altho TWICE rejects a lot too they state most things are out of date or stained..hmmm.. Its odd that both these companies are located in the same area, one takes brands the other doesnt and they kind of do the same thing, hmm, i wonder if our NWT and better pieces are being sold on TWICE????? might do to have a look on that site and see if your items are there...But at least with twice you can get a tax statement for items they claimed they can not use. But somehow im wondering IF these are the same company with a different name? one buys the higher end pieces and one l really onlys buy the lower end pieces, hmmm ...Thredup can be sending higher end to Twice, while Twice might be sending lower end pieces to Thredup for resale, Im not sure but I will not use EITHER of these site EVER again...And another thing, try and go and leave a comment or feedback on Thredups site, blogs and such, They monitor any comment left and have to approve it first, hmmm THATS A RED FLAG!!!!!

stellac3
4/18/14

Have used ThredUp several times for selling and buying and have been generally happy. The clothing I sent has sold, and the credit I received for that allowed me to buy me and my daughter a new spring wardrobe. The downsides are that generally shopping online does not allow you to anticipate fit, so a pair of jeans is a bit of a gamble. However, it's only a $10 gamble. My only disappointment with ThredUp is how difficult they make it to get a new bag to fill - you have to "order" it, and if you forget to do so when you order clothing, they won't just send you one to follow...you have to put in a whole new order, which is just annoying. Overall, I like it and plan to use it again!

jenniferv12
4/16/14

You barely get anything. Such a rip off!!

ashleyr20
4/16/14

Like being able to find vintage Gymboree. But some times the prices are high and the descriptions are not accurate. Wish they had more coupons for loyal customer not just new customers. Some times they way over price certain brands and have to many junky brands way of dated kids stuff.

I would never send anything in to sell, the payout is bad and the rejected items in perfect condition etc. they pay you penny's and turn around and charge $$ I know that's the nature of the business but they are a rip off.

mb70
4/14/14

I have had wonderful experiences buying from them, but I will not sell to them again. Ive cashed in about 6 bags now. The first two bags I sent got decent payouts, but the last two bags I sent in I really feel were ripped off. I sent brand new apple bottom jeans with tags, in-box Liz Claiborne peep toes, and a this season Nicole Miller tunic...but they payed out for the worn, off -brand stuff I bought at Ross!?!

To be honest, they tell you upfront they don't pay well, but their consistency and transparency sucks! I prefer to know where my clothes go and what they are doing with them... cuz im starting to think they are selling them elsewhere, or their employees are compensated with cool new duds.

Also worth noting, I have used the Return Assurance program...I listed everything they returned as a lot on Ebay and made $100 after fees and shipping. Yes!

Bottom line, shopping is great, but I wont supply them anymore. I no longer trust them and encourage anyone to think twice before selling to them.

caroln6
4/14/14

I too got ripped off from thredUp. I sent in all of my beautiful items that I should have given to friends, it's like they went thru it, picked out what they wanted, then offered me $5.00. Give me a break. They have 130 negative reviews filed with the BBB as of today. I also kept a detailed list of what I sent in and checked first to see if they would accept it. All the nicer garments like linen slacks and blouses from Nordstrom they didn't accept. Never again. I just gave to charity, I guess.

sylvial3
4/13/14

I sent 36 DESIGNER items. They gave me $0.95 for one item and discarded the rest. I DON'T TRUST THEM! I WILL NEVER EVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN! I would rather have given my designer clothes to a charity! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

susane24
4/12/14

I was very happy with the items I bought for my grandson although the selection on the website was not very good
I will NOT sell to them again. They only took 3 of the items I sent out of the entire full bag. Would have gotten more from a local second-hand shop. Would like to be able to verify where unpurchased items go

janac2
4/12/14

I have only had good experiences with TredUp so far. I'm surprised at the complaints I see here. ThredUp doesn't hide what they pay for the clothes that are sent in. You can see on their desktop site how much they pay each person for each item. You can even use their payout calculator to see how much you will most likely receive for your clothing. My buying experiences have been great. The customer service is fast and friendly, and you can return your purchases for free if they don't work out. I have nothing but good things to say.

lvc2
4/11/14

I am surprised by the negative review they've gotten. To be fair, I have had mostly positive experience with them through buying. I don't bother selling through them cuz I want to be in control of what sells and how much I get for them.... so I have only bought from them. Customer service has been great so far. 5 out of 10 orders will have minor issues, but can be easily squared away with a simply phone call to customer service. A couple of items they automatically refunded me a couple of items that I ordered and they found minor defects with them at packaging. I was impressed. Common issues are due to not-so-detailed description, it's hard to tell if certain kids item fit large or small cuz as we moms all know different brands' sizing is different and even within the same brand, the same size clothes could vary in actual size. And some sweaters shrink after wash and they run too short.... wish that was noted in there as well. I think their employees sorting through the clothing, some are not too familiar with kids clothing, sizing, or brands. Some are not familiar with maternity or nursing wear.

A few suggestions
1. provide more photos and more detailed descriptions. Such as makeup of the fabric, or if the item runs large or small.
2. create a category "outfits" for kids. That would be popular.
3. I am willing to buy brand new under garments on their site (bras, shapewear, etc...)

Overall I have no problem ordering from them again cuz with the few problems I have had, they were all taken care of in a timely fashion. And I have recommended them to others.

ananam
4/11/14

Sent a huge bag and they took about 6 pieces, most for 50 cents. Plus it took them two months, they didn't even email me after they placed the clothing for sale and offered the payout. In addition, I placed a blouse in a bag and remembered it had a hole in it after I mailed it. That's one of the few blouses they took. Their site says near perfect clothing yet they accepted a blouse with a hole in it. I won't be shopping or sending stuff there, none of my friends will either. Twice is much better, I'll be sticking with them.

stacik
4/10/14

The first time I sent in a bag of clothes, the payout was decent and I considered it fair. The 2nd two bags I sent in, I felt that items were drastically undervalued. To give you some idea, I sent in 2 kids Osh Kosh winter coats brand new with tags and they paid me 80 cents each for them! I have ordered clothes from them and was happy with my purchase (but feel badly for the people who probably got paid 25 cents for their brand new with tags items that I bought for like $ 20!). I will never send in clothes to them again. Honestly, you would probably make out better just donating your clothes to a charity and taking the tax deduction.

angelc14
4/9/14

wow, im freaked out now, ive sent them at least 15 bags, stuffed with higher end pieces and i have not opted for the return assurance. None of my bags have been processed yet but after reading all these negative comments about how they pay out and decide what to pay for, and then basically steal your pieces by not paying for them at all then selling them on the site anyway? wtf... im worried and stessed. I know the items i sent i could have sold on Tradesy or Poshmark...Now i just feel screwed and they havent even got to my bags yet.. Just way more negatives here then positives,WAY MORE.....and ive read every POST made by buyers and sellers..I wish i would have found this 2 weeks ago...dammit.....BUT in fairness i will post if i have a positive transaction with them but will wait untill ALL my bags are cleared first.. Im hoping for the best but the boxes i have packed now to ship them, will wait in the corner..After all the reading ive done here ,if you average it out, there is 10 negatives to each 1 simi positive experiance with this company,,,thats a RED FLAG.. something is off...lets hope for a positive here at the end...

rachelg18
4/9/14

I have a love/hate relationship with ThredUp. I have probably ordered from it about 10 times. I love getting my daughter gently used girls clothing from ThredUp. It is a cheap way to buy very cute outfits. For example last year I bought her a like new gymboree Easter dress for $7.99. The girls clothing has always been excellent quality even if it was sold "flawed".
I have also bought some women's and maternity items from ThredUp. Two tops that I recently purchased had small holes in them but were marked like new. I occasionally buy flawed items, but those items have always been marked flawed. Had I known they had holes I would not have bought them since both items were sweaters and I had planned to wear them to work. With sweaters holes tend to get larger. I contacted ThredUp regarding this issue and they never responded. I also purchased maternity clothing from ThredUp and the one item was marked maternity but when I received it it was obviously a nursing top ( the tag said nursing wear). I use the item now postpregnancy, but again I would not have purchased it if I had known it was a nursing top, since I wanted a black maternity top.
My final complaint about ThredUp is that I wish they offered something for customer loyalty. I can always find codes on the internet for 20-30% off but they are only for new customers. It would be great if there were occasionally similar discounts offered to those who purchase frequently. I know they have referral credits, but I don't blog or solicit my friends.
I have never sold to ThredUp so I cannot speak to that part of their service.
I would give them 1 star for customer service, 3 stars for women's clothing, and 5 for children's. Will I continue to shop from ThredUp? Yes, but probably only for my children.

ap437
4/8/14

I've only bought from the site and the app, never sold through it, so keep that in mind. That said, I've had nothing but great experiences! I've bought women's clothing, maternity clothing, girls' clothing, and boys' clothing, all with no problems. The quality has always been exactly as described. When it comes to fit, I generally only buy brands I know my size/fit in, so I've had no real problems with that - on occasion I've had a piece just not look as great as I wanted, but in that case it was cheap enough that I didn't really mind just passing it on to a friend. The free shipping on orders over a certain amount is really attractive to me.

Both the website and app are convenient and easy to use. I like that I can save filters or favorite brands, which carry to the app. I don't usually shop via apps because I usually find the experience somewhat lacking but the ThredUp app is incredibly simple to browse and buy from, and incredibly intuitive.

The clothes take a few days to arrive but I don't use ThredUp for things I need TOMORROW so that doesn't bother me - I use it to stock up on sizes and styles I need in brands I like. All in all I will absolutely continue buying from ThredUp and as my kids grow will probably sell through them as well!

rachelb25
4/7/14

DO NOT SEND THEM CLOTHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was a customer for a few years, but I have grown frustrated and unhappy with the service. The pay-off rates are awful. I started using the site when they offered the box exchanges. They keep changing for the worst. I ended up leaving. It looks like they have tried to change their ways, but, little too late.
There are better returns and customer service from other competitors.
Look elsewhere.

mb69
4/6/14

If you want to buy cloths there, is okay. Just be aware that they just ripoff to who ever send their clothes to be resell in that scam of company! They don't pay you well and they will keep all the cloths you send no matter if they pay or not for it! They say whatever did not pass their standards will be donated! Really? I'm sure this company is making a killing on taxes by just donating other peoples clothes!

9 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
Answer
suzannes13
A: This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.
1 week ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: Did u receive the bag of clothes I sent?
4/14/15
Answer
shandad3
A: Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling
4/17/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

6 Photos for thredUP