US Government's NSF

362 Reviews for thredUP

▼ Sort by: recent

heidic2
7/13/13

I have been a thred up customer for a few years now. Once they changed their format and how their site works, it went down hill. Thred Up is a scam. I have sent in huge bags filled with brand new, like new clothing and in excellent condition clothing and received either A: less than $1.00 for an item or B: they told me items were in unacceptable condition (rips, discoloration, etc.) which is FALSE.

I have heard that now Thred Up keeps items for resale that people send in and tell you they were unacceptable and you get zero credit for them and they in turn resale it off the side. Shady business.

I have bought a few things from them with the little credit I have received and was happy with my purchases, however I will NEVER be either selling or buying from them again.

sweetsp
7/12/13

A month ago I sent in a bag of clothes for a payout. It will be the last bag I ever send. First of all, my bag was there for 3 wks when I contacted them for an update. Secondly, I just received my payout information, and the average payout was $0.60/kids item. I sent in name brand, excellent condition clothes. For example, a Harley Davidson T-shirt ($0.85) received a higher payout than a pair of Talbots pants ($0.60). Really?!? I was pleased with my 1st bag, but based upon what I saw tonight, I will never use this site again. Buyer/Seller beware.

conip1
7/12/13

After receiving items for my daughter that were purchased via Thredup.com I decided to give it a try. I'd like to tell you how the clothes arrived but i cannot - because the below standard shipping of this company means that it will take two weeks from order to receiving the items. THAT is disappointing, NO MENTION of this when the order is placed, just got an e-mail the next day saying YAY for us - we are really busy - too bad for you, you'll get your stuff whenever." I am NOT a happy customer.

andis2
7/12/13

Thredup has turned into a scam-like site. Send a bag of stuff and they MAY sell your items one at a time and send you FIVE CENTS ON THE DOLLAR. They are making good money from my stuff and I feel like a SUCKER! Once burned shame on you, twice burned shame on me!

jenniferb41
7/11/13

Thredup.com is an awesome way for me to provide my kids and I with quality clothes no matter what the occasion! I can always find what I need whether they are for play, a holiday, a change in the season or just a splurge on a new outfit!

loriz
7/11/13

I love thredup.com, I've made several purchases and have always been pleased with them. My grand-baby looks so nice and I feel nice knowing all the money I saved. We have a local baby consignment shop near by, and their inventory nor quality comes close to thredup. I look forward to shopping to see what's next. I don't send in bags, I donate everything out grown to my local Goodwill, so I can't comment on anything but what I've bought, I've been a happy customer for two years, and look forward to my next purchase next month for fall clothes.

crystals10
7/11/13

I miss the old way of swapping boxes. I dont seem to get as much money as I use to and they knit pick over the smallest of things. I have bought a few things and shipping takes a week from CA to PA, then they take forever to get the bags in to their inventory and let you know how much (or little) you got.

jasminer3
7/11/13

i simply adore this website.. I've even gotten clothing not only for my lil boy but for me as well.. Awesome...!!!!

bridgetb1
7/11/13

I've ordered a few different items of clothing for my daughter and have been very happy with everything I received. I don't buy alot of boutique type clothing so I don't think I'll have much to send in to sell, but I do intend to buy more from this site.

seanandambirc
7/10/13

I liked the swapping boxes way a lot better, I don't use thredup as much as I used to. It seems like when I send bags in I get less money each time. and now you aren't going to accept the main brands that most kids wear. I have had a bag for awhile and I am going to send it in, I hope that the brands I send get grandfathered in like promised. then I will most likely spend my balance and not do it again. the close I have purchased from thredup have met my expectations and beyond. I just believe that you have lost a lot of customers because of how it is now.

jodis4
7/9/13

I liked the old way better with swapping boxes. I have been very disapointed with them shipping me wrong items and very low pay out. Also I sent in a bag of almost new to never worn womans/maternity clothes still waiting 3 or so weeks later for a payout! This bag will determain if I will ever shop with them again. So far not impressed!

jamiep14
7/9/13

For one, it takes forever for them to ship your items. Second, I made the mistake of sending them 2 bags which were over 20 lbs each. Very nice clothing. I got .40 to .60 for each of the pieces they took-which resulted in $8 payout. Very disappointing. They lost one of my bags and I have sent them the tracking numbers time and time again-when I check it on UPS, they were both sent at the same time and signed for by the same person. I still have yet to hear from them. I will not be shopping with them ever again after this is over and done with. Be careful and stay away from this company!!

jenniferc42
7/9/13

I have to say I had a better experience with the original thredUP. I have for the most part had good experiences with my purchases. I have some complaints on the service. Example: I made a purchase from my ipod but in the picture one item looked like full length pants but was actually not, I contacted them with in the hour but was told; sorry we already packed your box and cant help you. My box did not ship for a couple of days. My other problems are mainly with sending items, they have lost almost every bag I have sent and the one or two bags they did not loose they gave me a credit for the items with the most wear; yet a ton of items in the bag with little to no wear seem to disappear. I have sent a large amount of almost brand new clothes and never received anything for them. I feel there the department handling the incoming items is lacking in proficiency and accuracy.

jenb12
7/8/13

I have purchased a few things from them that were just "okay" bargains but I sent a bag in with over40 items and received $3 payout! When I asked them about it they sent me pictures of my clothing saying they were stained but there was no visible stain! I think they ripped me off big time. Will never shop them again.

leew23
7/8/13

I loved Thredup in the beginning with the box-swap model. It was so much fun, and I feel it was a really good value as well. Not so much anymore. Since they have gone to consignment only, I have only purchased a couple of items and have not sold any, due in part to the lack of convenience and poor return. I will probably not shop much with them anymore because it is more expensive now. I sure wish they would go back to the box-swap!

marieb27
7/8/13

I love Thredup!! I have been able to find some great quality clothes at wonderful prices!! The customer service has always been excellent.

carrieg9
7/8/13

This is my all-time favorite site! I'm a bargain shopper, I love going to Goodwill and searching for great clothes. The only problem with Goodwill is that you don't usually find an actual outfit that matches, just random pieces. thredUP is so easy because it lets you enter search criteria for that exact size and clothing brand, and even color of shirt or pants that you are looking for. You can get some awesome deals buying clothes from them. I've never sold through them though, I've heard you don't make much money so I do all my selling on eBay!

stephanieh16
7/8/13

I have purchased from Thred Up from the beginning. I am pleased with the quality of the clothes. I don't sell items, just because I would prefer to hand them off to friends and family. My son is often better dressed than I am as a result! Love the free shipping and the service is pretty fast.

kaitlinb1
7/7/13

Very affordable shopping, which is awesome because kids grow out of clothes soo fast! Though some bags that I've sent in to thredup were very low payout, which is disappointing. It's also frustrating that boxes take so long to ship.

saraht23
7/7/13

I have been a member with Thredup.com since the beginning. While I have had great experiences with orders and bags, the latest bags I have sent in have been very very low paying. Items that are brand new I got under a $1 for. So I'm done selling to ThredUp and probably done purchasing from them too. I'm a bargain shopper and can do better with clearance racks at local stores here. Bye Bye Thred Up!

eliw13
7/6/13

I purchased 2 items from the site, wasnt crazy for them (never wore them). I returned the 2 items, along with some other kids and ladies clothing. I was surprised to find that only 1 of the items I purchased was accpeted back- I am in the process of trying to clear this up with them and how their processors accept the same exact piece of clothing once, and not again- in the same exact condition,,

jeanninev
7/5/13

I loved ThredUp's original ("trading boxes") business model. When it changed, I wound up with several 40-60% off coupon codes, to use on their new site. I used them all, with mixed results:

1. Since ThredUp sells from a nationwide pool of used clothing, they're more likely to have unusual items, than my local kids' resale shop. For example, in just 2 separate "shopping trips" on ThredUp, I've bought my son a house colors cap imported from Eton, an Air Force Academy T-shirt (my husband is an alum) and a T-shirt advertising a Lipizzaner Stallions show I attended as a child. In an entire year of browsing kids' resale shops, I'd be pleased to find *just one* such item in my kid's size, that deviates from the Gap/Gymboree fare every other kid wears.

2. I live in the midwest. Here, parents willing to pay (gasp!) $25+ for a name-brand sweater that their preschooler will wear twice before it's outgrown or stained *don't shop second-hand*. NEW kids' sweaters cost that much. My son always has a couple Polo sweaters for the cold seasons, but I pay $8 - $12 for them at Once Upon a Child, or $1 at garage sales. Yes, $1. That's not unusual at all, here. Thus, I assume it's impossible for a company based in pricey California - that depends on costly shipping for both purchasing and sales - to compete with resale shops, for my business. Perhaps ThredUp is more competitive on the coasts?

My recent ThredUp purchase was the first I've made without a percent-off coupon. I bought only items deeply discounted because they hadn't sold quickly. I was pleased with what I bought, but overall the styles are no more up-to-the-minute and the clothes in no better condition than what I could find at a good kids' resale shop, for less. As much as I loved ThredUp and hoped to see it flourish, it would be a poor investment of time for me to keep shopping there.

perrip
7/4/13

I am happy with Thred ups quality of clothing. The savings on brand name childrens clothes can not be beat! They are continually improving the policy and listen to their customers. I think the new policy of getting items back is wonderful.

ashlieh
7/4/13

I have been with ThredUp since we swapped boxes of clothing with other members, and I actually liked this model better. The new model does provide better quality clothes for members to purchase, however I now dislike selling items to them. If you send a bag of 15-20 pieces of clothing, you will probably only get $7-$9 for great clothing that you could get up to $25 for at your local consignment store.It also is now taking them up to 3 to 4 weeks to go through bags of clothing and it takes forever to get your small credit. Buying from thredup is a good idea... selling is a BAD idea!

cindys23
7/3/13

I was happy with the items I bought from them. I bought my daughter a pair of shorts, my son a pair of Converse, and myself a shirt. All items were in excellent, like new condition and under $10. Then I made the mistake of sending them a bag. I sent in 10 items. They accepted 3 of them and paid me 40 to 60 cents for each item. I have no clue what they did with the rest of my stuff, but I know it was in great condition (no stains, no tears, all name brand). I will continue to buy from them, but I will not send them my stuff ever again.

nicoled12
7/3/13

I've been a member since the box swapping (which I loved) I have a couple issues with thred up though.....first off I know that I've sent in some great items with packed bags to only receive a couple bucks in return. This is disappointing because the items are worth way more. Especially when they have tags still on them. I'd be better off sells them on eBay. Another is that when purchasing I think in the description of the item it should state what type of fabric it is. Just on my last order I bought two skies for my daughter that were cute but when I got them one was fleece and the other was corduroy. You could no tell by the picture that it was that fabric otherwise I wouldn't have bought. It's 95* here so chances are they won't fit when I need them. I contact customer service and they told me I could pay to have them shipped back. I hope that there are sons changes for the better.

marlieseb
7/3/13

I've been using thredup since the box swap days. Great for purchasing clothing, but I find that selling to a local consignment shop is easier. The purchased clothes are always in great condition and as expected.

kime12
7/3/13

Great site. A bit like ebay, but you can get the clothes much quicker and no worries about losing out to another bidder. Great items, closely checked before being sent out. Love it.

courtneyc13
7/3/13

I have twin girls and send many identical new with tag clothing items, thredup on multiple occasions declared one item ok, and the other identical item not sellable (before they offered the extra cost return policy).
They also paid out different prices for identical items, With no explanation as to why.

I now take my business to a local children's consignment store And make 10 times the money that thred up with paying out.

Stay away from this company! If you want to buy high-end children's clothing find a nice consignment shop in your area or use eBay, It'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

anni285
7/2/13

Loved them since they started as swapping boxes. When they turned into a consignment business, I found that it worked for me as a buyer. I don't like going to stores digging into piles of clearance/sales boxes. I'm more of online type of a shopper during the wee hours of the night when everyone at home are asleep. I get excited when I find $3-$5 used/new items. I always make sure I get at least worth of $50 or more to take advantage of shipping. I never did get a chance to sell any clothes to thredup so I don't have any experience about delay payment as other reviewers mentioned. I was lucky that I ordered just before the the 2nd business restructure happened... no big box brand, because like I said before most of the things I purchase were $3-$5 items. When I spend more than $6 per item, I'm hessitant unless if it's a dress, which I don't spend more than $12 per dress.

With the latest business restructure, I will probably still use thredup but not purchase as much as I use to since the inventory for $3-$5 items will be less.

hts
7/2/13

I have been a thredUP customer since the box swap model, and --while I do miss things about the swapping-- I have been quite pleased with the service and quality of items I have purchased. Many times I have received refunds for items with miniscule flaws that a thredUP team member must have noticed while packing the box, and I *adore* proactive service.

As far as selling via thredUP, I do think they can improve on consistency in payouts, communicating which items were rejected and the reason. It is somewhat vague now, which --based on other reviews-- I understand can be perceived as being dishonest. If they want to attract high-end items, trust is paramount. For my purposes of selling my and my children's gently used or new clothing, though, I have been satisfied with the payouts.

I have always experienced exceptional, proactive customer service through thredUP, and believe they can only get better....

denisec9
7/2/13

I have a mixed review as i have been VERY happy with the clothes (both womens and childrens) that i have purchased from thredup. Everything i have received has been like new. I was not, however, overly thrilled with the consigning process. I have sent 2 big bags (one women's clothing and one children's clothing) to consign and received approximately $20 total for both bags! I am somewhat of a shopaholic and do not buy or sell low-end clothing, so $20 for 2 bags bordered on insulting. I also sell on eBay and consign at local consignment shops and will continue to do so, as the low percentages do not make consigning with thredup worth it. Again, i highly recommend purchasing from thredup but would not recommend consigning through them.

laurab50
6/28/13

I've had great buying experiences with them. The clothes really are in great condition. Although, they listed girls' pants as boys (they have pink edging on them that wasn't visible in the picture) and I was not going to put them on my son. They did refund me right away and didn't require me to return in. So, I give them props for that.

The bag payout was a joke and a scam. I got very little after a 3 week wait. I'm glad I didn't send in a lot of stuff. It was more of a trial run for me. I was going to donate most of the stuff anyway. They give 10% of their selling price for items, so it is mostly $0.60-$0.70. I had a couple of items that were over $3, but they were brand new women's pants.

To add insult to injury, if you request payout to paypal, they charge YOU the paypal fee. What a horrible thing to do to your customers. I know that local stores usually give you more for getting store credit, but they don't take away from you for taking the money. I'm wondering if it is even legal for them to hold money they owe me hostage. If I don't buy more from them or pay a fee, I can't have my money.

I would never recommend sending anything to them. Since I can't recommend sending items to them, I won't recommend buying from them either. They have gotten the last $ from me.

kendallw3
6/21/13

Nightmare ... lost my bag .. took a month dealing with customer service and all for a $6 credit ??? So not worth the headache ..

stephanieb19
6/17/13

Warning! ThredUp.com is a complete fraud. They payout 10% or less even on new brand name clothing. They give you pennies for items they turn around and sell for $5-10. And that's only on items they accept. They claim they only want top name brands, but they only accept and sell lower brand name items, then the nice stuff "disappears." Not only are you not compensated, you have absolutely no chance of getting your stuff back. Do a quick Google search and you'll find how many people they've ripped off. You are better off selling to a consignment store or just donating for a tax receipt. And they are scamming mothers, no less! Take your business elsewhere.

jillb13
6/17/13

I bought 2 dresses from them and the tracking they provided isn't working. Their staff was less than helpful, and my issue has yet to be resolved. Try Twice.com instead, ThredUp is not worth it.

laurat18
6/15/13

I purchased for the first time about a month ago. I was very excited about this site because of the brands and the prices and the wear. When I got them in the mail, they looked great and new like it stated online. I even shared the site several times, because i thought the site was awesome! Now, the second time I purchased. I clicked the link on my email from work because it stated free shipping. I started shopping. I had several things in my cart. When I go to check out, I noticed that my address in the billing info was not there, so I click that part and add my info. I then notice that the promotion code was not the same, but I could not figure out how to change it, so I left it what is was. I was scared to actually leave the site and re-login because I did not want to lose my cart. I really wanted the jean jacket and it was a great deal. When I check out, I get notice stating, I have 2 accounts! Um, no! Then I get an email, and I respond to the email explaining what happened. Then very next day, I get another email stating I cannot have 2 accounts and that they cancelled my order and will be refunding me. What! I do not have 2 accounts, so I emailed them again. It just pisses me off that I feel as if no one read my statement explaining how I feel they may have misunderstood this whole thing. Ok, so, that was on a Monday that I got told I would be refunded. Guess what, Friday 6/14, still no refund. I called thredup and still no call returned. They have terrible customer service in my opinion. Someone should have read my email stating what happened, then they could have fixed it simply by merging my actual account and the one I just typed my info in. When I clicked the link from the email, it should have directed me to sign in, NOT be something totally different. Anytime I click a link from an email, I never have issues when I order. It was a simple mistake. I want to so bad buy things, but I am so skeptical if I will be told the same thing and not get refunded like this time. They owe me $22. They better fix it now or I will contact PayPal and the BBB.

db44
6/14/13

Terrible experience. I sent in a full bag of nice clothes almost a month ago and just got an email today that they are paying me $2.45 for the items they want to buy. They are only paying me 10% of what they plan to sell the items for and who knows that they are doing with the other nice items I sent them that they aren't buying. Donate your clothes to charity or find somewhere else to take them to sell because this website is a complete rip off.

lisab59
6/12/13

Ok so I'm waiting for the results of the bag I just sent in. 29 pieces of NWT & NWoT... not one piece of what I sent had been worn. I wish I would have read reviews before I sent in my new clothes. Please Thredup.com don't make me regret my transaction. I'll be anxiously awaiting my payout. Thanks in advance for a truthful experience. If I have a bad experience then I'll be contacting the news outlet where I got your information and tell them of how your company is not what it says it is. Again, I'm going for a really good transaction.

kristinab5
6/4/13

OMG, One star is too much for them. When I purchased stuff from them, they were ok. Clothing was so so, one pair of kids pants had black stain on it, but it washed out. However, when I sent in my own back, packed as full as you can get it with the very best of my 2 kids clothes, name brands, some barely worn, like brand new dresses that my girl put on once for dancing around the house - of all items, they accepted some older little baby shirt paying out 40 cents for it. NONE of the nice items accepted, no stains, I picked through them multiple times. They steal your stuff!!!!!!!! Unbelievable, i wished I checked the reviews. I will warn everyone to never order or send stuff to them. Biggest scam I had fallen for in a long time. And mostly, it makes my heart break, because I sent them sentimental dresses, e.g. that my daughter put on once for Christmas, something that I would have gladly kept if I knew they would just steal it.

jt34
5/28/13

Dear James (CEO),

Your company is obviously re-selling the good stuff, either to other consignors, abroad, on Ebay - somewhere. You are going to get caught.

I am glad I came across these reviews before giving my clothes to a bunch of criminals. I looked at some of your reject photos that others shared -- funny how they are the cutest, highest quality, best condition clothes. I'd rather donate them and someone needy can benefit than deal with you crooks!

kiml22
5/24/13

I tried using my $10 sign up fee for a shirt on May 5th. Still haven't received it or a valid explanation as to where it is or why I don't have it.
Just sent them a bag stuffed to the brim with clothing, prior to seeing this site.
Not really looking forward to seeing what THEY feel they're worth.

jessicaw22
5/21/13

I thought thredUP was a pretty good experience ... i made $65 by sending in a bag of my son's old clothes, which is more than giving it to his cousin (big fat ZERO ha ha ha). I just placed an order too, so we'll see how that comes out. 4 stars - I would give 5 but they didn't have strollers :(((((((

adriannab
5/19/13

DO NOT fall for this! Take your items to a consignment shop or have a garage sale. I sent in an entire bag packed with brand named items-most had never been worn. They rejected the majority and what they accepted, they paid pennies for. One item they are selling for $7.99 plus shipping and handling. I got a whopping $.40 payout. When I asked for a review, I was sent pictures. Bran new items were marked as showing stains and there are absolutely zero stains in the pictures. I also asked them to disclose what is done with all of the rejected items. I got no reply. Rip off!

koril1
5/15/13

I've sent 18 bags and have been happy with every single payout! It's awesome that they now can return items that aren't accepted and they photograph any flaws in the items you send. There is total transparency and there is no reason for them not to accept your clothes if they are perfect! I've also purchased from them 15 times and the very few times I've had an issue with an item they have corrected immediately. Their customer service rocks! I'm such a huge fan that I now have a coupon code to share with first time customers. KORI35 will get you 35% off + free shipping on your first order! :-)

jocelynh
5/10/13

I clicked on a link that said 10 dollars off your first order. when I got to the site it said it would automatically be taken off at checkout but it didn't and charged my card full price. I tried to contact someone through phone but they only have an answering service who might get back with you in 1-2 business days. I tried to email still no response. Do not trust these people with your money or your clothes.

ja9583
5/6/13

Sent a huge bag of like new condition clothes, all name brand...Nautica, Ralph Lauren, Gymboree, etc. received $11! They told me most stuff was stained, when it most certainly was not. I am super picky and would never send stained clothes. I would NEVER ever use this site again. I feel 100% scammed.

lynnl15
5/5/13

If you have ANY doubt about using ThredUp for selling your gently used clothing, refer to their Facebook page where you can read thru negative experiences daily...with an occasional cheerleader thrown in the mix saying they received hundreds of dollars for their clothes...blah blah. I sent in a stuffed bag with the same quality standards I'd expect to receive if purchasing clothes from them or any other resale site and nearly every item was rejected including NWT items...I earned $5. As another user pointed out...it's amazing how ThredUp has raised all their prices, lowered all their payouts and rejects and refuses to pay for so many pieces of clothing yet they can give away thousands of dollars of credit for e-mail referrals without any commitment to purchase.

kristenj2
5/4/13

I'm actually shocked that there are so many negative reviews! I sent in a bag of kids clothing and made $45 on it. It was MUCH easier than storing the clothing for a yard sale (which I would sell for 25 cents a piece), or trying to list it all on eBay.

I've consigned my clothing at local shops for years, and their payout is comparable.

The reason I like using thredup is because tossing my clothes into a bag and brushing my hands of it is MUCH easier than standing at a store counter while some snobby hipster sneers at all of my pre-owned clothing, then decides to take ONE item. This system saves me time AND aggravation, and it's nice to know for $10 I can have any unwanted items returned to me.

I've ordered from them also, because I live in a relatively small town and the only way I can find and afford certain brands is buying the pre-owned pieces online. The items I bought were clean and looked new (and some were).

rebeccap12
5/2/13

This site is a total scam, and they are only out for profit through theft. There is enough evidence from numerous negative reviews to show that this company is lying and stealing from people. I was very careful of what I sent in, and several items were like new, and one item I had just purchased from ThredUP, but sent it back as it did'nt fit my son, yet they rejected what I had just purchased from them?
The clothes they did accept were what I view as the lower end clothes, and they rejected all the higher end items I sent in. They are clearly lying and making money elsewhere off of the other clothes.
Their site indicates that they will give you up to 40% on your clothes, ha! Almost everyone I have spoken to has received between 10-15% for brand new clothes, what a joke!
I labored over washing, ironing, and packing these clothes, just to be taken advantage of. Don't waste your time buying or selling from this crooked place. Go to Ebay, Craigslist, or have a garage sale and you will do much better.

Best Online Toy Stores Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber