US Government's NSF

Categories: Toys, Used Clothing
580 Market Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

People interested in thredUP are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kimberlyp14

I don't understand all the negative reviews about selling items. What did you expect? (in 316 reviews)

erind18

Getting credit for the clothes I turn in is exciting. (in 315 reviews)

janea18

They have great clothes, at great prices and their customer service has always been amazing. (in 67 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

stephaniek28
7/18/14

Honestly, I am SO pleased with my shopping experience! (I don't think I would want to sell to them though. Seems like a hassle and gamble, with not a lot of payoff.) The items were exactly as described. Shipping was prompt (received it three days after putting in the order), but I think that's because it shipped from CA to CA. The packaging was nice and clean, and I appreciated that the thredUP team placed their tags where it wouldn't ruin the clothing. I feel like I got a great deal for essentially new items that I would have purchased anyways at the store. And apparently, returns are free if you purchase the items through their app, which also helped me feel more comfortable about buying.

indhiral
7/18/14

Thredup is good for those who want to shop but NOT for consignment. I have sent three bags full of name brand clothes in perfect condition some with tags on them and got shafted. I will not use them for selling my clothes or buying their items anymore. I don't think that they're a legitimate company therefore they should be investigated by the business bureau. Don't make business with these people you'll be disappointed.

kirstens6
7/16/14

I enjoy buying and selling to thredup. I buy for myself and my two young children. I feel like they do their best to describe the clothing condition and color so you know what you are buying. When I send in clothing to thredup I always use their clothing calculator online so I know what to expect. That way I don't end up sending in something they will not accept. I have also had a couple friends make purchases from thredup and they give me a $10 credit for bringing them business. What a great deal!

doreenc1
7/16/14

I wonder if the people complaining about not getting enough for their clothes has sold to other cash for clothes sites. I owned a consignment store for over ten yrs and most people thought their clothes were worth more . 75% or more of the items that consignors brought in went to charity .I think if you want to try them for selling your clothes take a few to cash for clothes and then refuse their offer and mail to thredup I want to see that person's review. +++++ for recycling.

jillo4
7/14/14

Totally got SHAFTED. Sent in 3 bags of Anthropolgie, Black House White Market, Ralph Lauren, and got $13. WHAT A TOTAL JOKE. DO NOT EVERY USE THIS COMPANY.

alyssas10
7/14/14

I bought several orders before I sent in my own clean up bag. I spent the time to review the guidelines for acceptable items BEFORE I sent my bag in. I was very pleased with my experience. I got approximately $75 for 3 bags of clothes that I would have just taken to Goodwill. I have found their customer service to be excellent, and most items I have received have been exactly what I thought I ordered. The only returns I have had are due to sizing issues, and those were processed quickly and correctly. The website is very easy to navigate and it makes it easy to track returns, clean out bags, and orders. I get complimented all of the time on the items I order, and I always say "I LOVE THREDUP!".

kikik4
7/13/14

The only reason why I'm giving ThredUP two stars is because my order came as promised. Sure, shopping at TU is great, however, if you're sending stuff in, you get shafted pretty bad.

Beware their marketing ploy "cash in your closet." It's as big of an over promise as they come. It's more like "cash in their pocket from the clothes in your closet." I sent in a bag full of clothes, shoes and coats in near perfect condition. All brands they purport to accept. They overlooked most of it. As you can imagine, I was extremely disappointed. Now that I find this is a reoccurring theme in reviews around the internet, I'm just pissed.

They did send me a partial list of reasons, along with images, why the majority of my stuff was not accepted, but only after I complained on Twitter and posted a response to the CEO's condescending blog post about, basically, how they are only human and those of us who feel cheated should just stop complaining because "They want to accept 100% of every bag we send in. Period."

No. You don't. So stop pretending you do. If you did, you'd fix this awful mess. And you wouldn't send flimsy excuses why you didn't accept my practically brand new clothing, much of which was worn once or even never. The reasons were laughable. And insulting. And infuriating. They claimed there were "large, visible stains" on clothing I know FOR A FACT there were not. Why would I send it in if it was stained to hell? Do they think I can't read? I poured over their website and the list of brands they accept and the fact that he are very picky and blah, blah, blah. In my opinion, all that is just insurance against any wrong doing on their part. As if it being on their website makes it okay to gyp people out of clothes and accessories they could have taken elsewhere. Show me then, where all those large visible stains are by sending my $#*! back. Oh, you can't because you've "donated" all of it. News flash, blurry ass pictures will not convince me of something I've seen with my own eyes.

To make a long story even longer, both the CEO and CMO emailed me wanting feedback. So I gave it. Absolute silence. Only when I took to the internet did they have a customer support rep reach out to me. Sorry, but it's too late TU. You've lost a customer and, if I can help it, future customers. Until you change your business model to be advantageous to all customers, more specifically, the people who supply you with the clothes you sell, I'm done.

marthab16
7/13/14

First off, after getting a coupon for 80% off first order, I can't use it.

Misleading info--"All orders ship FREE with thredup everyday!" Guess what, they don't. Though the "thredup everyday" is in the same color as the other text it's a link that takes you to a page that says if you join for a fee you can get free shipping. What a deal!

I send them an email with my concerns and get a reply "we care blah blah blah but to respond we need your email address." HELLO, IT'S IN THE "FROM" FIELD LIKE IT IS IN EVERY EMAIL.

Then, to top off my great shopping experience I don't get my package. Time for a credit card dispute.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get shut down real soon.

amyf18
7/9/14

I've now ordered twice and consigned once. All transactions were flawless and the clothes I received were even better than I thought they would be. I'm super impressed with this business.

trishaw
7/8/14

Very affordable way to continuously get great name brand clothing for your children and yourself!! I tend to shop when I know I will spend over $50 in order to save on expensive shipping fees. This helps to keep the cost down.
I have used the site to send in name brand, some new with tags and have been a little disappointed for the result. I since have stopped sending but continue to be a loyal customer!! Returns and or product damage is always quickly resolved from a customer service representative. Overall, I enjoy the site greatly and can't beat the excellent products and prices I pay! My kids and I are eager to receive our ThredUP boxes each time!!

bethanyw2
7/7/14

Great customer service. Reasonable shipping rates. I've only bought through them, not traded any old clothes but I've always been really happy with the items I've received. Once a free shipping code I tried to use wouldn't work so I emailed the company and was refunded the shipping cost within a day! No hesitation!

julied29
7/6/14

I really wish I researched thredup before I used the bag that came enclosed with a gymboree order I received. I was under the impression I would be receiving gymboree bucks for sending in used baby clothes in great condition. I sent them name brand items some never worn with tags attached. I didn't think they would accept every item but I wasn't expecting them to accept nothing! What a waste of time, effort and clothes that any consignment store would have paid a good amount for! Will never use again!!!

pd18
7/6/14

I have definitely upgraded my closet from this site. They are strict about what they accept and consequently you get quality next to New clothes. The only sure bet is clothes with tags. They allow you to FedEx your clothes for free, that can't be cheap for them.

krisl14
7/4/14

Just as others have stated my experience with this company is the same. Sent a bag of name brand purses and clothes that they stated on their web site they needed and were accepting. Nothing was accepted. I believe they take the merchandise and sell it elsewhere and make money! Some one or agency needs to investigate... biggest fraud ever. Wish I had kept it and given to a charity or local consignment. At least I would know where it was being put to good use.

mmm11
7/3/14

Lesson Learned. Would much have rather given my items to charity than to get practically nothing for a bag full of name brand clothing. What a scam!

lisaf45
7/2/14

I have sent in multiple bags of children's clothes . My daughter likes to send in her stuff because then she can pick out new things. I love the new with tags sections. I even got myself two new pairs of Loft jeans at a fraction of the cost!!

melanieb15
6/30/14

I've only purchased clothes here, never sold them, and so far have been quite happy with the quality. The only "oops" was a pair of pants I bought for my six-year-old, advertised as a size 6, that was actually size 6 MONTHS. I passed the item on to a relative; didn't seem worth the effort to exchange one pair of baby pants.

The pants looked strangely small in the picture, but I blamed my poor eyesight. :)

Trust your instincts!

My son is very into skateboarding, and I like the large selection of Tony Hawk and DC clothing I find on this site.

abbyr4
6/28/14

I sent a bag full of the things they were requesting. I read through all of the guidelines before sending. They stole all but 7 of the over 20 items in my bag, including but not limited to a Kate Spade item. They are HORRIBLE and extremely deceptive. STAY AWAY!

sues37
6/28/14

I agree with the other reviewers. I worked through the site and put in the brands I was sending in the green polka dot bag. I received a note that in their review, there was not anything worth value. Just think that was not very helpful as to why so I can be educated for future times. Would not buy from them or use them again.

dk30
6/27/14

I have bought children's clothing and women's clothing on ThredUp. I like the pictures and descriptions, and have gotten good quality, inexpensive clothing. I really love the referral credits!
SHIPPING IS OUTRAGEOUS! It's $2.99 for your first item. THREE DOLLARS for ONE item! Then, $0.99 for each additional piece. Not only that, but the shipping is TERRIBLY SLOOOOOOOOW. All my orders have come through FedEx, and I have other items come to me through FedEx that don't take forever, so I'm sure FedEx isn't the problem. I placed my last order (for two items) or 6/16. They left ThredUp on 6/19. Today is 6/27 and FedEx estimates my stuff will be here on 6/30. Two weeks??? It seems like ThredUp is charging a premium for shipping, then purchasing the very cheapest/slowest shipping available to them.
The clothes are great. Shopping is easy and fun. Be prepared to wait forever for your stuff to arrive!

nicoled16
6/26/14

Great savings! Always helpful and interested in accommodating the customer. Quality clothes. Always a great experience.

brendao3
6/25/14

I sent this company a "trial bag". I searched each item to make sure that they would take them-only sent those on their list. Probably about 20 items in all, including designer jeans purchased in Europe for $200. They only accepted a pair of AE shorts for $3,50-nothing else. I suspect they will take the other items and sell them anyway, but no credit to me. I won't use this site again, and wish I had read the reviews first (this site is generous, other sites indicate similar problems).

carolk23
6/24/14

Simple put, I would never again send items to this company. I do not feel that it was worth my time and effort.

cynthiah10
6/22/14

I sent a FULL bag of clothes/shoes where the majority of the clothes still had the store tags on them as they were never worn. They kept only 7 items and claimed they didn't take the other brands that I sent regardless of the tags being on, yet they didn't send them back! And example of those brands. American girl jean jacket ( from the Chicago American Girl store) I mean, really?? And brand new clothes and shoes from the Children's Place, Crazy 8? I'll tell you why they couldn't find them to send them back, THEY KEPT them for their own kids! RIP OFF is all I can say.

barbaraa17
6/21/14

I have been using Thredup for a year and a half. I have sent in many bags and also bought clothing from them. It took me a little bit of time to understand and learn what their quality standards are for buying. Once I did I have made more in selling to them. They are very strict with what they purchase and their quality standards and I know that before I send anything in. When I have had issues they generally address them in a couple of days and I have been satisfied with their responses. At times I have wished the experience would go faster but I understand that they are a company that is rapidly growing and changing. Overall, I have had a great experience with them and will continue to do business with them.

melissab41
6/21/14

I have sold my kids' clothes on ThredUp with low payouts, but that did not stop me from buying three maternity bathing suits last summer. I was happy with the accurate descriptions of the items and timely shipping. I just ordered a pair of shoes to see if this is something I can come to trust on this site since shoes fit differently than clothes do. One thing that should change is the length of time it takes to hold an item in your cart before purchasing. They send an email notifying 'you have one hour to buy' but by the time I read the email, hours have passed. I've missed out on a couple nice items that way. Otherwise I love this site and service!

anniet12
6/20/14

so far, i've had a really good experience with thredup. i've sold high end items to everyday wear and their customer service has been great! the only thing i'd "complain" about is that i wish the payout didn't have to take 2 weeks to get ... if you need money right away, i probably wouldn't recommend this site.

annk13
6/19/14

I sent a authentic Fendi bag and Manolo Blahnik shoes. They have received and sent me an email that I could have cashed out after 10:00p.m. pst on 6/18/14. It is now 6/19/14 11:30a.m. pst and still no cashout. When I sent emails prior to 6/18 I always received a quick response from Jamie, but today I sent to emails and left a phone message that I want my cashout now. I sent my two (2) high end items a the end of May and they acknowlege receipt on June 4. After I did not receive a response I decide to read the reviews. This company is also recommended by a finanical analyst on the Kiplinger's report which I heard on a local radio station. She stated it was a way to earn extra money. I will send another review when I get paid, but thus far I am very concerned and for sure I will never use again.

bettyo2
6/18/14

The payouts for the items I sent in were mostly pennies wish they would up the payouts. Or maybe give you more money if you order from their sight and not cash out. Also wish they had baby and mens clothing. I had only one problem ordering pants. But was resolved quickly. Quality of items are great and I still order stuff from them. Shipping takes a little too long. Buy well worth the wait.

andreas176
6/18/14

I love this company. They have an outstanding business model. I have both bought clothes and sold both childrens and women's clothing. I was very happy with the what I was paid for my clothing (I also knew exactly what to expect by using the calculator on their site). I got my daughter summer wardrobe here and we love it. Great brands for a great value. Everything we received was in perfect condition. Their high buying standards show in the excellent quality of the clothing they sell.

stefanieu
6/15/14

I'm a seller and buyer at this site. The bag of clothing items I sent in only got me a total of $16, so I think from now on I'll stick with bringing my items to local consignment stores. But as for the items I've ordered from the Thred Up I have been very pleased. The descriptions are accurate and most things I've purchased have been a great deal. I have their app on my phone and get alerts for discount codes which I have used and have made it even a better deal for me. I don't purchase often but when I do I am pleased.

juned6
6/13/14

I have bought clothes for myself including shoes, as well as clothes for my grandchildren. All have been high quality and clean and just as described. A very good value. Delivery has always been prompt. I will continue to shop on ThredUP.

florap1
6/12/14

Purchased "practically new" shoes back in April, and today was only the 3rd time I had worn them, one shoe ripped apart. Luckily, since I was a new customer I had a discount and free shipping on the items purchased. Otherwise, I would have been pretty pissed off. As for the kids clothes I have purchased through them, so far so good.

staceys9
6/5/14

I have used this website for selling and purchasing clothes. When I compare it to our local clothing exchanges, it is pretty comparable considering I do not have to leave the house. I would expect the same credit amount that I would get from a brick and mortar clothing exchange, but so far have not sent anything high end...I don't make that much to begin with:) I will continue to buy and sell through Thred Up and recommend it to my friends and family.

melissad23
6/4/14

Sent in all brand new clothing and they claimed they couldn't accept any of it/pay me for it. WHAT A SCAM!!!!!!! Do not use this website, they will steal your clothing and not pay you for it!!!! They need to be reported and shut down!

chrisw68
6/2/14

I was somewhat please with items I purchased. I ordered a clean out bag and did everything by the book online. I even checked on what the items should give me in return. I was quite shocked to say the least that all my items, which were high end and some were new with tags, was $9.95. Then they send you an email showing how much the stuff sold for. That's great, where's my share of that? I will never send them items again to sell. I would make out better getting the tax deduction by donating them. Very disappointed!

jessa16
6/2/14

Honestly I was expecting to get a good amount of money for my clothes. I had a brand new item with tags and all and they did not except it. I sent in a full bag of clothes and only got paid $5! And the clothes were brand name, Hollister, abercombie and Fitch, American eagle and more. I had brand new Hollister yoga pants that I did not get paid for. I'm very unsatisifed and I will definitely not send out another bag. You can get so much more money from platos closet!

rachelw30
5/31/14

I have mainly been a buyer here and have LOVED it!! I buy knowing that maybe not everything is going to fit perfectly but if half the items fit right it is so worth the price!! In the end though I've been surprised and excited to have all but 1 item fit right each order. AWESOME! :) I have been a seller as well but I was fine with how it all turned out unlike some others. If you are looking for a large payout for your items then this is not the place for you, sell your items individually on ebay if that's what you want, but if you are looking for a convenient way to get rid of things that you otherwise would give away or donate and wouldn't mind a small amount of $ credited to your account for a future purchase then send them here! I was happy with it all. :)

nv14
5/31/14

I sent a bag chock full of gorgeous women's dresses, most that had been worn only once. They were all cleaned and pressed. What did I receive for my bag? A whopping $23. They wanted the child's Easter dress I bought at Sam's. Really? They took a few other things, mostly child's apparel. I am terribly disappointed. I was SURE they'd sell the 14 other items I sent. This is not a smart place to send your clothing! Next time, I'll be sure to give unwanted clothing to friends who will enjoy each piece.

emilieg
5/29/14

I've had a pretty good experience buying clothes on this site. I've bought quality clothes for a fair price.
My complaints would be the amount of time shipping takes. 2 weeks seems pretty long for clothes to be put in a box and sent out. Also I wish there would be a better description of the clothing, like what material, fit, and if there are flaws what exactly is wrong with the item.
With all the negative reviews on selling your clothes them I think that's something I will pass on trying.

kimb290
5/23/14

Love this site! Everything I have ordered has been like new and super low prices. I have been very pleased with them. I recommend them to others all the time.

jackiet12
5/23/14

I have been both a buyer and seller.

BUYER: I love the site! There is a great selection of clothes, great prices, and everything is in new condition. I bought a couple things for my 5 year old daughter and everything was even better in person than in the photos. And it was received pretty quickly.

SELLER: Okay, so it takes a long time to get any payout from the bag of items you sent in. Even if in your opinion everything was great condition they may only take 10% of the items and donate the rest. If you have a strong attachment to anything you can get the clothes they didn't accept sent back to you. Yes, they don't give you a large payout by any means, but it's convenient; they send you a bag, you put stuff in it and mail it back. Pretty easy.

jenniferd32
5/22/14

I am very impressed with the clothing they sell and the amount of money I get from selling my clothing to them. Great company.

lynellel
5/22/14

I have only used this site as a buyer and so far everything that I have purchased has been wonderful. This makes it easy to create a professional work wardrobe without breaking the bankd.

marquitac
5/20/14

I like this site I find a lot of stuff for me and my little girl name brand and love the bags they have. So, far I've won $100 for share what I like on facebook so far so good.

debs16
5/20/14

All the BAD Press you read about them is, sad but TRUE. Do not send any items you are willing to lose completely or earn only a few cents on. They block and review any comments left on their Facebook, which is a RED FLAG!!!. THEY SAY THEY DONATE CLOTHES THEY DONT BUY, prove it then!! not with just a name but with PROOF this company actually Donates your pieces. You can not find any proof..I sell all over the net on several different avenues, This place is a Real Scam. Be SMART, do not donate anything that cost you more then a few bucks to buy new. If you notice, their site is mostly now just Gap and crap, because people with higher end QUALITY pieces will not ship to Thredup. Try Twice or Tradesy, both honest great sites and pay for whats its worth. Twice is strict on their rules but you do get a tax credit or can buy back for 5 bucks, the whole bag. When you see great reviews on this company it usually connected to their site and they delete any negatives.Several of us have tested this company, FAILED results.Send lower quality items, thats all they buy anyway and wait 3 months to get paid the $1.90 or so they owe you..They take forever to pay you, because they probably dont have the money until they make sales...Youve been warned, read all the reviews, be smart and try and see the glowing reviews for what they are, probably placed there by a Thredup staff member.

kellyl29
5/11/14

I tell everyone about Thredup! I have bought and sold and now even use it for fundraising! It's a great site. I have bought stuff for my kids and myself. I have bought several pairs of Banana Republic pants that are like new. I wear them ALL the time and the price was awesome. Less than $20 a pair. I like the search feature. Makes it easy to find what you are looking for. I Have sent in at least 4 bags. The prices are fair and the process is so easy. I have tried the in-person stores - never again. Thredup is it for me!

teachad
5/11/14

I would give 5 stars based on my experience as only a buyer not a seller, except that there are no loyalty incentives. I shop there often and yet there are no discounts or coupons offered. I'm definitely not the type to try to get referrals. I'm not a Thredup sales associate, just a customer. :)

The clothes I have gotten were mostly very good quality, One dress I got that say's it is 100% silk, feels like sandpaper? I think it should have been listed as flawed in that case. I will likely shop there again if they ever give me a coupon, haha!

kristineg4
5/9/14

its nice to find some good quality used clothing at great prices. I love shopping for bargains but thrift stores can be a pain sometimes. Especially when you're looking for something specific.

cyndyn
5/9/14

I have had very good experiences with ThredUp! I feel like the turn around time for orders is very quick. The communication is wonderful. The hard part is picking out clothes and 'guessing' if they will fit for me as an adult. But 95% of everything has fit great! I love having a credit and buying items for my kids since my daughter is rough with all her clothes at 7 years old. Sometimes the prices turn me away, but overall I have been very satisfied and share the site with friends. I just wish my friends would sign up using my link so I can rack up some credits :) Other than that paying for shipping is a bummer on all online sites, but I get it and try to beat it by spending a tiny bit extra!

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I have already verified my credit card also my facebook and my phone number I even got a twitter account and it still sayin I don't have level 1 verification but when I go to my profile it says im level 3 anybody have any ideas?
6/9/13
Answer
suzannes13
A: This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.
6/22/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: Did u receive the bag of clothes I sent?
4/14/15
Answer
shandad3
A: Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling
4/17/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

6 Photos for thredUP