Review of WyzAnt

Chicago, IL 60647-5578, US
support@wyzant.com

johno3
8/6/10

As a registered tutor on wyzant, I was contacted by a number of students none of whom had billing information and we never met. Two more had contacted me but selected another tutor from a site outside of wyzant.

Today, I received a notice from Wyzant that my account has been removed because of lack of business and "not a good fit for you" as a reason. I routinely did searches, and responded to any relevant inquiries to my field(s). I even aspired to qualify for more subjects in order to attract more business. I haven't seen any other tutors with 26 areas of qualification. Also, this is summer vacation, most people are not in school now.. inactive indeed.

Bottom line, I find the business model on their end to be a good one, they take a big bite of a tutor's salary. On the receiving end, I was only using it to attract more business than I currently have (I have made as much as 1000 dollars extra a mont tutoring only part time, I have a full time job) and it's not a big deal to me but there was little or no attention to my areas (Science and math mostly) which are my biggest money maker as a tutor... so... I disagree with their reasons.

That, and I've never been on any kind of website that "cleanses" their account holder. If there were a better student base that went to their site, I'd have more clients. Of course, when you have zero, you can only go up right?

meredithg
7/27/10

This website is wonderful! We vacation in New England during the summer, and I wanted to find a Spanish tutor for my kids while we were away. Wyzant.com made it so easy for me to find someone. Without Wyzant, I'm not sure how I would have done it. Wyzant hooked me up with a fabulous Spanish tutor that my kids love and have learned a lot from, and I am thrilled. I will definitely use this website again in the future. Thanks Wyzant!

katl2
7/6/10

Wyzant was a great source when I needed an accounting tutor. I was able to search through various tutors to find the one that best suited my needs. My tutor was always on time and responded quickly to my emails.

Going through Wyzant's website made me feel more secure about meeting with my tutor and submitting payments. The website was easy to use and setup!

My tutor also had great things to say about how easy Wyzant made it to connect with students!

jimp2
7/3/10

WYZANT has been a 5 STAR company to work for!

I) Review of Wyzant:

In one year exactly, I moved to the highest Wyzant pay percentage. Out of every dollar billed to a client, 80% -100% now goes to me.

(Wyzant's cut after you put in four hundred hours is zero to twenty percent, depending on whether a client chooses a bulk tutoring package. In addition, when clients leave feedback about you, you make an extra couple of bucks - hence the possibility of making over 100%).

With my present rate, Wyzant makes $0 - $11 per hour on me. Do I get anything for that?

Here is what I get:

1) CLIENTS. (Folks who find me, who would never have otherwise.)
2) ACCOUNTING. (All billing matters taken care of.)
3) FULL PAYMENT. (If a client doesn't pay, I still get paid.)
4) SAFETY. (Clients have to provide billing information before seeing me.)
5) LIGHT SECRETARIAL SUPPORT. (This also occurs via the software itself.)

Now, the above is from someone who knew he wanted to put in a substantial amount of time tutoring. I therefore did not fret over the larger Wyzant cuts during the early months of tutoring. While I can certainly understand the stress a few-hours-per-week tutor might feel about a 60/40 split, Wyzant does not restrict its independent contractors from finding clients on their own.

My own experience however is that finding enough customers to pay one a reasonable salary takes time and effort. What is one's NET hourly rate, working on one's own, when part of your time is spent finding clients? What is that net rate when the other four points I mention above must all be done by one self?

Wyzant provides an incentive to become a successful tutor by offering pay percentage increases. A final Wyzant cut of 0% - 20% seems reasonable in light of what they offer. I understand that there will always be debate on what the early pay splits should be, and how many hours should be put in before each pay percentage is reached. For myself, I just kept sprinting, and now Wyzant is stuck providing me with free services whenever a client buys a full tutoring package.

II) Review of Wyzant Personnel:

Everyone I've ever interacted with at Wyzant has been extraordinarily helpful and cheerful. This was true when I joined and was waiting for my first client, and it remains so today as I collect 80% - 100% on multiple clients.

III) What I'd like to see improved:

Before I offer my two cents on how to improve Wyzant, let me be clear that they already offer a way each of its tutors can have their suggestions heard. I therefore have no need to offer my suggestions here, except to be comprehensive in this review.

For any tutor, one's net hourly rate depends strongly on four things: -The time expended finding clients. -Administration time (such as emailing clients, juggling schedules, tax preparation, etc). -Lesson preparation time. -Drive time.

Wyzant excels at finding new clients. I'd now like to see them dramatically expand point number five, "Light secretarial/software support", in order to reduce my administration time.

This could be done via software on wyzant.com where one could have access to an online calendar. There, tutoring sessions could be entered, mileage between students automatically calculated and tallied, contact information stored, etc. A sister piece of software, available for portable devices, would also be fantastic.

IV) Personal Data:

Finally, since some posters are vocalizing their upset over Wyzant's "take", I'd like to leave some explicit data on the topic. In my case, after registering with Wyzant, it took me three weeks to get my first Wyzant job at the base pay percentage.

---From there it took less than 2.0 MONTHS to move to the 2nd pay level.
---Then less than 1.5 MONTHS to move to the 3rd pay level.
---Then less than 3.5 MONTHS to move to the 4th pay level.
---Then less than 5.5 MONTHS to move to the final pay level.

heatherr2
7/1/10

This site is a fantastic way to find qualified tutors in any subject quickly and efficiently. I've used Wyzant as both a student and a tutor and have been very impressed with the business model, website, and the customer service!

chrisc16
6/28/10

Very bad experience with this website, both as a tutor and a student.

As a parent/student: It's disorganized, and you must submit your billing information to fully connect with a tutor. I'm not comfortable just giving my credit card information and hoping that I pick a good tutor - I prefer an in-person consultation before money leaves my pocket. Lastly, WyzAnt doesn't tell you that up to 40% of YOUR money is going to the website, not the tutor. And the website doesn't cost that much to maintain.

As a tutor: WyzAnt takes a big cut. They say it's great you don't have to pay to sign-up, but the cut out of your lessons adds up quickly. I use a different site that, to me, makes much more sense. With this other site, I pay $85/year to be listed - contact information can be exchanged freely, and tutors keep all of what they make. My second issue is the "certification" they offer - this is NOT legitimate certification. The quizzes are a complete joke - they consist of up to 10 questions and they are EXTREMELY basic. Thus, a tutor that doesn't really know a subject inside-out could still be "certified" to tutor it.

My last complaint (which affects both the tutor and the parent/student): WyzAnt's customer service is TERRIBLE. On their website, they say you can expect a "prompt response" when you email. So I first sent an email, which they didn't respond to. Then I sent another, which was again ignored. So I finally called and spoke to someone who said they would transfer me to someone else. When I was transferred, the phone rang once or twice and then went to an answering machine. I called again and asked when is the best time to reach that person because I didn't want to leave a message and possibly be ignored again. The representative said the best she could do is transfer me again and I should just leave a message. So I requested that, instead of being transferred, she give me the extension of the person I need to speak to. Sure enough, when I dialed the extension directly, someone picked up right away. WyzAnt intentionally ignores both calls and emails. It's very clear that this is a profitable website - the idea of it is great, but the execution of that idea is very poor. They don't invest the time, money, people, or resources to make sure things run smoothly so that both the tutor and tutee can be entirely satisfied with their services - I think this is a MAJOR flaw in running a reputable business.

seanc2
5/25/10

I have had both positive and negative experiences with Wyzant, but only the negative were from Wyzant itself.

The positive experience I have gained is that I have a ton of glowing references now for when I enter the teaching market (I'm already certified), or start tutoring again.

Overall, though, Wyzant has a horrible business model. If you don't respond to a student within 24 hours, they start power-spamming you with emails to respond to that student (I've had emails as often as once every 3 hours before). Sometimes I just don't have time to respond to someone who isn't even a client yet in something that is supposed to, in the words of the site itself, be a source of "secondary income." At the beginning (which is until you've worked 40 hours - sounds small, but if you're unlucky and only have one kid for one hour a week or so, that's 40 weeks), they take 40%, so you get 60%. The people who buy your tutoring service on this website ARE NOT INFORMED OF THIS. The people who pay you for tutoring believe entirely that they are paying you, and this is where my negative experience comes in. There is absolutely NO transparency in the relationship between Wyzant and parents and/or students who are seeking to be tutored.

I tutored for Wyzant for almost a year, had a 5-star profile (with 17 reviews), and 12 active students at the time of my account "termination." I was tutoring for about 26 hours a week, which is more than a lot of people get with "real" jobs. I was certified to tutor 25 subjects.

The reason for my termination? Someone gave me their personal email in a Wyzant email, and even though I replied that it was against Wyzant's ToS to include personal emails in Wyzant messages if the person seeking to be tutored does not have billing information online, Wyzant terminated me ANYWAY. I called to ask about this, and was told "Well, that email sounds suspicious, don't you think?" That is not an acceptable reason for termination. Sure, it's legal because of their "we can fire you at any time for any reason" clause in their tutor terms of service, but it's still ridiculous. Someone gives me their email, I respond that it's against Wyzant's ToS, and I get fired for it? That is ridiculous.

I should have been going outside Wyzant the whole time, instead of getting paid through Wyzant. I would have made the money I was already making, plus Wyzant's cut. This is a site that has a lot of potential, but at the moment is a piece of garbage which will use you until they get their money from you (another reviewer put forth a rather detailed and accurate scenario), and then toss you away like nothing if you're "suspicious," like I suppose my 5-star, 17 user rating, 12 active student profile was. There is no review; there is no appeal. If you get suspended, you are suspended, even if you can put forth hard evidence that you did nothing wrong. They can, after all, fire you for any reason, right?

I'd like to reiterate that the only good things about Wyzant are the networking and connections you can make - they're a marketing website, not a real "tutoring" website. They sell you. Their tests for tutoring are not comprehensive at all, and are mostly stuff anyone who's taken a very, very introductory course in the subject can pass with flying colors.

In summary:

i) Wyzant is good for networking
ii) Wyzant takes 40% - 20% of your pay, determined by how many hours you've worked for them, and DOES NOT TELL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PAYING WYZANT about this, so they believe that they are paying you. The average rate I saw on Wyzant was $40-$50 an hour, just so people could get past the 40% and actually make some money (the site itself starts you out as charging $40. That's really $24 an hour that you make, but $40 an hour that the parent or student thinks they're paying you). Another issue is that they pay you on the 1st and 15th of each month, assuming the 1st and 15th are not Sundays or holidays. What if the 1st is a Sunday and the following Monday is a holiday? That means you don't get paid until the 3rd, which is a pretty major chunk of time to be missing out on your paycheck.
iii) Wyzant can (and will) fire you once you have outlived your usefulness. I've spoken to several Wyzant clients and tutors, and both groups have given me horror stories of being "suspended" for doing nothing at all, or because they didn't reply fast enough, or because Wyzant just felt like it. I put "suspended" in quotations above because it's really termination - there is no appeal, there is no overview process, and there is no reinstatement of accounts. Once you're "suspended," you're off the site forever.

Summation is, Wyzant gets 3 stars out of 5 for networking, and 0 stars out of 5 for absolutely everything else.

deer
4/28/10

I am disappointed with this tutoring service. They suspend your account if you contact too many students and the students don't contact you back. But you have no control because lots won't set up billing information until they can trust you are a good tutor. They also suspend your account if you give out any email or phone number before billing information is set up. This is good on some levels but I think the main problem is that most people are scared to be charged and want to talk or email the tutor before setting up billing information. I did not get a good explanation on why my account was suspended because I received great reviews and so I would not join this service at all as a tutor. They take 40% of your earnings, which is a lot in my opinion.

nancyj2
3/14/10

As a tutor, I had really positive experiences with WyzAnt and very negative experiences with the company.

Positive:

-you can make a lot of money as a tutor
-WyzAnt takes care of all the business side of things for you (payroll, advertising, conflict over payment with a parent, etc.)
-it's extremely easy and convenient for parents/students to find a tutor and for tutors to find parents/students

Negative:

-WyzAnt takes 40% out of your pay in the beginning (but come on! it's business--they have to get their cut somewhere, don't you think?)

-WyzAnt takes a very non-communicative approach to resolving conflict between clients and tutors. They don't call you. You have to call them if you have a problem, and if you don't talk to them through email or by phone by a certain time, they will suspend your account. I don't think that makes a more "transparent internet" like the other commenter had said. Which goes to the next one:

-WyzAnt can suspend your account for any reason at any time. People don't realize this when they open email accounts and what not, but I find it hilarious that WyzAnt just shuts down accounts that don't respond to them, when all you need is have a small team to make a quick call to verify that it's a real person. This pisses a lot of people off, parents and tutors alike

-WyzAnt is not immune to internet fraud, like everything on the internet. Because it's not a brick-and-mortar business where you have to physically deal with a person and actually be there, a spammer can pose as a "parent" or a "student" and contact tutors. I have had a spammer contact me more than once already, posing as a "parent" who wants personal information from me.

But mostly, I find WyzAnt a great way to make some money and get experience teaching or tutoring. Like Marc C. said, because WyzAnt deals with all the business aspects of the tutoring, the tutor can concentrate on educating the students to meet their needs. You don't have to spend all this time trying to market yourself--that's a lot of work to do for one individual.

As for the other commentator's opinion on whether or not the parents (and tutors) feel ripped off that WyzAnt takes 40% out of your transaction just for doing nothing more than marketing, I feel that, hey, if the parents want to pay $100 a week just so that the tutor can be there for a few hours a couple times a week, so that the tutor can get their good share of the cut, it's on the parents. It's the parents' responsibility to check out a tutoring company and make sure that this is the best decision for their child, not the other way around.

I have had one or two parents that want me to be there and pay me $20 an hour to "boost their child's social skills" and play with them for two hours once a week. Hey, if you want to pay a tutor to do that, great. The parents are happy and the tutor is happy, and everyone wins. I have also had parents that want me to do their children's homework for them, or parents who are willing to pay me to do their homework for them for $20-$30 each time. But on the flip side, I have also had parents who want me to tutor English, Math, and piano for $10/hr. and get angry when their child's grades didn't improve in a month because the child is having a hard time. But hey, who am I to judge?

marcs2
2/8/10

As a tutor, I've had a very positive experience with WyzAnt for over two years. With Wyzant, when I meet students or their parents, the only topics we need to discuss are educational topics.

It's true that when a tutor begins with Wyzant, the company takes 40% of the client's money if the client doesn't pay in advance. What's not true is that this 40% take lasts FOREVER (like the previous reviewer wrote). It rapidly decreases by 5% increments to a 20% take as the tutor's hours increase. Also, if a student purchases hours in advance, they receive a 20% discount that comes from Wyzant's side of the business. This discount reduces the company's take to nothing--yup, 0%--for tutors who have many hours with Wyzant under their belt. Of course, Wyzant's cash flow still benefits by holding the prepayments, and, for all I know, this pay structure and discount offer may change in the future.

My experience with tutoring before Wyzant was that brick-and-mortar agencies near me usually took 50%, this percentage never decreased, they told me what my rate had to be, and they often requested that I travel further than I wanted to go to meet students. It was a pain in the butt to advertise my own tutoring services, and students inevitably would forget cash or forget their checkbook. Messing around with advertising, bookkeeping, credit cards, or paypal would be a waste of my time. Wyzant's credit card processing and email system is convenient, but their real benefit to me has been the advertising service they provide by letting potential students compare my profile and rate to many other tutors in my area. After gaining enough hours to reach the 80% pay rate, this advertising service to the tutor is nearly free because most of my hours are from students who pay in advance.

What's most important to me is what WyzAnt does not do. They've earned their take by not sending emails to tutors or students in situations when they aren't requested, helpful, or needed. I like that they remain invisible unless they have something useful to contribute. Because of their trust in the student and tutor, working with WyzAnt has been refreshing and empowering for me and for my students. I think WyzAnt utilizes the internet and automation in a common-sense way that has improved the process of tutoring throughout the country by creating an open marketplace for tutor profiles with rates included. Wyzant, like this site, has helped to build a transparent internet.

I like that Wyzant offers referral bonuses to its tutors. If you become a Wyzant tutor or student by signing up after going to

XXXXX [link edited by moderator]

then I get a cut of Wyzant's take. If sitejabber determines that posting this URL makes my review a conflict of interest, then please delete the URL or replace it with XXX's or something but please keep the remainder of my review.

My only criticism is that Wyzant's built-in email system doesn't handle cut/pasting and copy/pasting correctly because of some strange carriage-return issue.

suem3
2/5/10

WyzAnt takes 40% of every dollar that a client pays to a tutor! I understand that they have to make money, but, since all they do is facilitate the tutor-client introduction, taking 40% of what the client THINKS that they are paying a tutor FOREVER is extreme!

Suppose that a tutor is listed on WyzAnt as charging $50 / hour. {The nationwide average for K-12 credentialed teachers who tutor.} A parent finds the tutor on WyzAnt, and the student sees the tutor for two sessions per week, 1.5 hour sessions, for three months. {This is a fairly typical tutoring scenario.}

Throughout that tutoring contract, the TUTOR will earn a total of $1080. During that time, the tutor will have put in 36 hours of contact time with the student, PLUS 4-6 hours preparing for the sessions, PLUS 6 hours driving to and from the client's home (using an average of 15 minutes of travel in each direction) PLUS 2-4 hours communicating with the parent, PLUS 2-4 hours entering the lessons into the WyzAnt system. This means that the tutor averages about $22 per hour.

The tutor's pay may seem pretty good, until you consider what WyzAnt has made.

During that same tutoring contract, WyzAnt will collect $720. It is not possible to really estimate how much time or money that WyzAnt spends for providing its service, but, it is possible that a system which is completely automated could really be worth that much money???

Do parents even realize how much money WyzAnt takes 'off the top' of the money that they THINK is being paid to the tutor? NO! Not ONE of the parents who I have spoken with who has gotten tutoring for their child through WyzAnt is aware that ALMOST HALF of their money is going to the company that simply processes credit card payments and sends out automatically generated emails!

77 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Based upon observations, you have to be invited after you have reached a "stable" level. I don't know if this is based 1) total number of students 2) total number of concurrent students 3) their finding out that I tutored online using other than WyzAnt tools 4) total number of hours 5) length w/WyzAnt At the time I was invited I had 1) 20 total students 2) 6 repeating students 3) used skype to tutor online local WyzAnt student 4) 100+ hours 5) more than 1 year

By Barbara W.

My experience has been they will drop you rather than address a problem. Think about what they do, make money off someones work and talent. Easier to avoid the problem completely!!

By Don P.

Hi. I followed up with Wyzant a number of times. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and told me that there was nothing they could say about WHY they shut down my profile. I've never encountered such an unhelpful company (except for Comcast)...

By Pam P.

Yes, potential clients of mine said Wyzant hounded them over and over to give billing info. Wyzant apparently thinks it's our job to police them and be sure they do that. All we can do as tutors is echo that we cannot meet them until they do that, however some are hesitant. Not my problem anymore. Wyzant sucks.

By Pam P.

Private tutors would all be better off if Wyzant did not exist. Profit margins are thin and nobody wants somebody skimming 30 % (that is best case scenario: 20% from tutor and 10% from student. Early on the rate is 50%). But Wyzant hires a massive team of graphic designers, programmers and data experts to dominate the internet. So anybody who wants to be a local tutor absolutely must use them to survive. Wyzant provides a service to the consumer, but expects the business to pay most of the cost.

By Nancy S.

Yes, we do! WyzAnt has tutors and teachers qualified in Computer Science as well as a host of specific computer languages such as C++, Ruby, and Javascript.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Susan, you can personally remove payment information at any time through our dashboard, as long as no lessons charges are pending!

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Jude, tutors on WyzAnt set their own hourly rate, which makes for a wide range of prices. We find most fall within the $30-60 per hour range. Some higher level subjects (eg programming) might be a little higher. It's certainly possible to work within any budget you might have.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Anna, I am a tutor with WyzAnt. While I don't advertise that I negotiate my fee, if the student has a legitimate reason for a discount, I sometimes agree or compromise. Each individual tutor is different. Therefore, you can ask. I cannot guarantee what the answer will be. -Michelle

By Michelle S.

Questions? Get answers from the WyzAnt staff and other customers.

1 Photo for WyzAnt