US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

mikeh295
2/23/17

Because you are a fraudulent service that steals money from people and are unable to respond to repeated and basic requests for professional customer service. Please read the details of my experience below and reach out to me at mph192@gmail.com if you are willing to refund the entirety of the money you cost me. If this is the case I would be willing to modify the review below:

This is a fraudulent business, plain and simple. They will steal your money. Stay away.
I used their website to create a simple incorporation for an LLC in Delaware. When I viewed the .pdf version of the information that I put into their form, there appeared numerous errors which I did not input into their form.

So it should be easy to correct them, right? Just go into the system and make a few changes? Click the button to put the account on hold, call a few helpful, professional customer service people, right?

Wrong.

After six days, three phone calls, four emails, and multiple assurances that they made the corrections I specified, I get the final version back.

No changes have been made. Not the original corrections, not the updated corrections, nothing. Everything is wrong - they just filed the original, incorrect version I had spent a week trying to change. And guess what? It costs 200 dollars to file an amendment with the statehouse.

But the best part?

I get a phone call from some guy in Utah on the same day asking me if I want to pay 325 MORE DOLLARS for them file an amendment to FIX THE ERROR THAT THEY CAUSED.

They LIE about the statehouse fee - saying it's 225 instead of 200. They LIE about the processing fee now its over a 100!

How convenient that a salesman was ready to quote fraudulent figures to make me pay more money CORRECTING THEIR ERROR! It's clearly in their best interest to screw you over.

This is a shameless, predatory business that preys upon unsophisticated people. After yelling at three different customer service people for the better part of an hour, I managed to finally get a refund of their "processing fee" (100 dollars) and their "EIN fee" (60 dollars, THIS IS FREE on the state website, I don't even remember buying this).

But they wouldn't refund the 90 dollar statehouse fee. And they CERTAINLY wouldn't refund the 200 dollars I lost because of having to file an amendment due to their incompetence. But they would try to upsell me!

I'll update this review if any of the money is actually refunded - I doubt it. I had the misfortune of using a debit card for these scammers :(

TLDR: NEVER EVER USE ROCKETLAWYER

Look at other reviews if you don't believe me:

willk28
2/8/17

I purchased a living will from this company for a quoted price of 19.99, I was charged 39.99 and the same amount was drawn monthly for six months before I caught it. I contacted the site on line and they refunded three of six withdraws. I asked my bank to go after them, but after sixty days there is no recourse,

petera104
2/1/17

I too was a victim of their scam. I called today and am hoping it will be resolved and that I will be refunded. W A I T I N G for billing to contact me. You can't completely unsubscribe yourself on their website- so call to get help. May be contacting BBB and hitting social media soon if no refund.

marekb
1/27/17

I HAVE BEEN ROBED OUT LIKE ALL OF YOU GUYS ,FREE FORM TURNS OUT TO $120.BEFORE I FIND OUT THEY CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD 39.99.

carlaf14
12/30/16

We have used rocketlawyer for a couple of business related forms and have been well satisfied. Not for complex legal matters but their simple bill of sale, deeds, non-compete, etc. are affordable and work well for us.

stevez15
12/28/16

Didn't have time to look at reviews--my mistake. Got charged double what is a standard document. $39.95 when quoted $19.95. Cheated. don't use this site

brianh187
12/8/16

Still up to old tricks.
They double dip people after cancelled account before trial period ended.
,$178.99 overdraft on my bank and no refund yet been 1 Mont and your documents are not that great.
Almost everything you need is available for free at any public library

tzew
12/7/16

June 2015 I signed up with their trial to download one legal document. I remember after trying their service I cancelled my trial. However, I never receive any email notice about member cancellation, thinking its been done and put this case behind. However, this month, after 1.5 year, to check my credit card statement to notice rocket lawyer has been swiping my credit card 39.95 for monthly premium member subscription. I immediately log in to the site to delete my credit card but failed as their website do not allow me to delete, also the website would not allow me to remove this non-consented membership. Its illegal to do this. and never billing me for charging my credit card is also illegal! So up to this date I have been fraud USD 716.10. Please stay away from this website. I hope to get my money back. If anyone know how to deal with this issue, please help me!

aarong50
11/30/16

I had no idea I was being charged for the service. It said free trial and then it billed me for two months without me realizing it. I never received an email notifying me that I was being billed or that my trial membership was up. This site is a scam and the people on the phone were very rude. I recommend to stay away from this website and their service. Their excuse was that a lot of times their bills go into the spam folder. The BBB needs to look into these shady practices.

poa5
11/15/16

The service is fine but the membership fee is not clear and difficult to, "decode", at best. A free membership for one week is the offer. Three free documents, as part of the free for one week offer, is VERY hard to find and there is no clear indication of a charge if you exceed the three free documents.

I started my journey on the site to create a single document. When I started to create a second document a screen appeared that required entry of credit card data before I was allowed to proceed. Seems to me if three free document are offered the credit card should not enter into the equation until you start the fourth document. That should have been a clue that something was not quite what was being offered.

After seeing a $39.95 on my credit card statement I contacted a Rocket Lawyer associate to ask about the charge for the free one week opportunity. After trading several emails I finally found a very unclear and carefully worded explanation of what might happen if you use the free for one week service and create more than three documents.

I appreciated the opportunity to create the required legal documents but the lack of clarity about the payment was quite frustrating. The old saying, "if it seems to be too good to be true", it probably is. My advice to the folks at Rocket Lawyer would be to clearly state what the cost really will be. Be clear, be up front and put it on the front page so folks won't be misled. Due to the number of very poor reviews on this site I guess many others have had the same or similar experiences. Do a better job Rocket Lawyer and be very clear. Nuff sed.

mikeg216
11/11/16

Searched "Free, Printable Simple Will" and they were position #1 in Google Search rankings. Took 1/2 hour to complete my will then get the Credit Card notification at the end. Searched further, and it stated you will receive an e-mail confirmation in which you can download the PDF and receive one free. Still waiting for the e-mail confirmation. Should have learned after doing the same on 12Law.com. Bull-$#*!.

robertj173
10/29/16

Used this for power of attorney and thought I had signed up for free service. Like so many others here, found it impossible to cancel. Luckily I found the bogus $39.99 charge before paying my credit card and after some not-so-polite conversations, they removed the charge. Do not use this service.

heidit10
10/27/16

I used Rocket Lawyer several years ago for a free basic rental form. It was much harder to find a basic form and it sure as hell wasn't free. I finally completed the form and when it was complete, the combined first/last/security + dog security was $600 off what it was when the tenant and I separately added them up. What good is a product that makes an enormous error with the simply adding a handful of items?

But at least it gets worse: I just opened my credit card statement and found a $39.95 charge from Rocket Lawyer! So I checked our calendar to see what day I canceled their service (within the period allotted). I note these dates because I have had this happen before (always fought, always won).

This time, I'm not even bothering with contacting Rocket Lawyer. Going straight to CC and protesting. I have owned many businesses and on the few times someone lodged a complaint (always won those, too), I realized they had started adding a $20 charge to all businesses when a complaint is lodged. If it's settled in favor of the business the $20 is refunded. If not, it's not refunded. This is a good way to hold shady companies such as Rocket Lawyer accountable, so please follow suit with problem companies.

dawnk27
10/18/16

If a free document is truly free one should not be FORCED to have an "upgraded" account when in fact one doesnt want an account at all. Thankfully I have an alert on my card for purchases otherwise this would be a backdoor way of scamming customers who are unaware of a ongoing monthly fee whether they use the service or not. The BBB needs to be notified.

brandir12
10/12/16

I asked two questionsabout starting a business. I got two very vague answers. I don't even think they have lawyers that works for them. I wouldn't even call them answers. The answers they gave me sounded like Trump and Clinton avoiding answering a question at a debate. Pathetic like our choices for president.

annb101
9/16/16

I used rocket lawyer to help write a letter and was content to pay the initial fee I bieve of $9.99. Since then they have billed my card twice for $39.95 when I call to try to stop them you get a run around after the initial wait to listen to their offers. Have nothing to do with this company they are just awful. I changed my credit card number today

paulk154
9/12/16

My elderly parent paid for one copy of power of attorney for $39.95 back in Jan/2016. Just discovered their account has been charged for 8 consecutive month. They did not sign up for a monthly membership. This is an outright fraud!

ginaa16
9/11/16

I went to the site and found it very helpful, making my document was an easy process, after reading the options available, I chose the trail membership so I could ask a legal question, got a quick response and was able to end the trial without any problems. My only gripe is how hard it was to find the cancel option. Turns out its a downgrade option. Would use again as I do not want to pay high attorney fees.

michaelr256
9/6/16

SCAM DO NOT USE I SPENT AN HOURR WORKING ON WHAT WAS TO BE A FREE FORM ONLY TO BE LED TO A SITE DEMANDING $20 FOR THE DOCUMENT. MAMA TAUGHT ME THREE THINGS AND I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED: 1) DON'T RUN WITH A SUCKER IN YOUR MOUTH 2) THE LORD LOVES A WORKING MAN 3) DON'T TRUST WHITEY.

emilm21
8/29/16

I signed up for a one time $10.00 fee to create a home rental agreement. Then they "automatically" enrolled me and have been charging my credit card $39.95 a month since January. That one document cost me $319.60.

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!!

cherylm100
8/26/16

Very disappointed with Rocket Lawyer. I used them in February, August and paid for one time use then again in May and used the Free offer only to find out it wasn't free. My credit card has been charged for June, July and August before I realized! The nice customer service lady said I had to cancel the free offer. I would never of done the free offer if I knew that I would have to follow up and cancel it. The free offer was not clear enough in their advertisement. They offered to refund some of my money but not all. Very disappointed and Rocket Lawyer has just lost a customer and will from this point forward I guarantee I will tell everyone I know not to use Rocket Lawyer.

franka64
8/10/16

Like others I signed up to get one document. I then cancelled the service but they continued to charge for a service I cancelled or thought I had. This should be illegal. Company's that make it easy to sign up and hard to cancel should be put out of business and their leaders in jail.

boba62
7/27/16

Does not let you know that if you already have an account in fact your document will not be free. Customer support experience very bad.

tonyay1
7/16/16

I never signed up or agreed to a monthly fee. I'm not sure if this is even legal but I've been charged for several months $40. It's been reported to Usaa fraud team and I really feel cheated!! These people are crooks!!

jond71
7/5/16

After reading these reviews, I was careful to get IN WRITING confirmation that my account was downgraded to a free account. So, it has been "free" for about 45 days. Well, suddenly I noticed a $39.95 bill on my credit card. I logged in and I was switched to a premium account out of nowhere! I haven't even used the service in over 45 days and they randomly started billing me? I have the email proof that I should not be billed. For anyone in my position, PLEASE submit these to your credit card companies so that Rocket Lawyer's credit rating as a merchant is ruined and they cannot do this to anyone else.

19 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Rocket Lawyer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
fredw65
Fred W.
on 1/23/17
Answer
mattp20
Matt P. [Rocket Lawyer Rep]
A: Hello Fred W.,

We would be happy to look into this matter and get it resolved for you, but please contact our customer service line at 877-881-0947 or you can email us at support@rocketlawyer.com. Our hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 7am-7pm MST.
on 1/24/17