Review of Nolo

Tel: 20160615.3712
2018 Customer choice award

daxg2
1/28/19

As a product that is branded with Nolo and Martindale (two names that I have come to trust over the years of practice), I am disgusted that this service does not do a better job of providing links and referrals that are worth your time to call. While they are "verified leads" supposedly, a large number of the ones I get are in my geographic area because of the address of the PNC, but because the client did not list or does not tell the lead generation company that they are actually needing help in another county or state, they will not credit you for a lead that you cannot take without PROOF that the person does not have a case in your area. They do not trust their attorney clients at all. Personally, I find it impossible to get clients to send you an email or text saying, "My case is in X jurisdiction" in order to get a credit. DO NOT use these guys.

charlotteb40
12/9/18

NOLO basically pushes the limit of what attorneys will pay for advertising to make sure it barely pays out - I'm not sure it does even then with the time and effort it takes to actually call on the terrible leads we get. There are just enough valid leads that it makes sense for us to keep purchasing them but they are by far the winners in this scenario. Really getting tired of it. We are still customers but I don't recommend this company at all.

tomm614
11/1/18

This is a useless organization offering nothing for your good money. You spend time contacting the leads, they don't respond, have a matter settled a long time ago, or have given a fake telephone number. The potential client isn't served, and you aren't served while NOLO counts your money. Don't do it!

Avoid the NOLO rip-off.

ruthg76
8/20/18

I purchased 'How to File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy' which recommends recording a Declaration of Homestead which is not in the book. Called Nolo 4 times today to ask for the form and no matter which button I pushed I kept getting the same customer service rep who said there was no one else to talk to and I could get a refund for the book. Really?

heidic53
7/13/18

I already have a lawyer, I just wanted to ask a general question to someone who isn't directly involved in my case to make sure my lawyer was conducting himself in my best interest but they wanted WAY too much personal information from me and wanted to connect me with several lawyers in my area to solicit business. Unfortunate!

michaelg203
6/4/18

Signed up for bankruptcy leads. Gave us all crap leads. Refused to refund. Lack of communication. Terrible company full of liars and unfulfilled promises. PLEASE don't waste your money on these people, they are nothing but a scam.

markt317
4/6/18

Signed up for family law leads and not a one was worth calling!!! They refuse o refund money and LIE LIE LIE about their services.!!! Their sales people lie 100% and their sales managers LIE EVEN MORE!!!!!!!

danc218
Dan C.
2/17/18

The leads are enitced, looking for pro bono work and they have no interest in retaining an attorney. Also the return policy is bs with valid email disqualifies the return even with a bad phone number. Just a terrible waste of time and money

kevh5
10/23/17

WORTHLESS WEBSITE Completely worthless. Inquired about litigation, have not heard back. Stated they emailed out info to litegation attorney, contacted attorney they stated had not I didnt see any emails or any information regarding this

wainp2
10/21/17

Re: Looking for defense against "Notice of Good Cause to Terminate Lease and Occupancy.
Nolo sent me ONE Referral.
A subscription service to find a lawyer. The respondant was Not a lawyer. He wanted $28.00 up Front to give me the name of One Attorney in Los Angeles.
I talked him into giving me the name.
He did.
I checked this attorney's referrals.
35% top score 40% bottom score.
Average 2.1 out of a possible 5.0
Nolo has not sent me Any Other Referrals.
I have 10 days from October 19th to respond

robertm558
10/16/17

i'm still waiting to speak to someone. I won't review and read it after speaking to a representative

annam260
8/29/17

I am very upset that after giving my personal information to Justin Corey(not sure if name is spelled correct) he then proceeded to sign me up to a "program" called Legal Shield. He totally misled me by calling it a program I needed to qualify for. Asking my income and last digits of my Social Security #. This company is not a program but a legal referral service formerly known as Pre-paid legal. A service I subscribed to years ago which provided nothing but gave me a run around. Your company should be ashamed of being involved in such devious practices. Your email stated that I would be contacted by an attorney who could provide me legal advice. Instead I get sold a "program" that changed it's name because it had so many complaints. If you can't provide what you say in your e-mail and on line then maybe youf company is a scam. I now have to try to get my money back from Legal Shield and cancel my debit card so no further charges can be made. Sorry I ever put my faith in your company/website because after explaining everything I've been going through I end up with nothing and no trust in nolo.com. I will be reporting your site/company for the deceptive practices your employee did to me. This is what gives attorneys a bad name.

I am very upset that after giving my personal information to Justin Corey(not sure if name is spelled correct) he then proceeded to sign me up to a "program" called Legal Shield. He totally misled me by calling it a program I needed to qualify for. Asking my income and last digits of my Social Security #. This company is not a program but a legal referral service formerly known as Pre-paid legal. A service I subscribed to years ago which provided nothing but gave me a run around. Your company should be ashamed of being involved in such devious practices. Your email stated that I would be contacted by an attorney who could provide me legal advice. Instead I get sold a "program" that changed it's name because it had so many complaints. If you can't provide what you say in your e-mail and on line then maybe youf company is a scam. I now have to try to get my money back from Legal Shield and cancel my debit card so no further charges can be made. Sorry I ever put my faith in your company/website beca ----- Message truncated -----

joshuaw53
8/7/17

These people are a joke I'm having hard Time Financially and was seeking help because I was 1 month behind on mortgage. They were going to start Forclosure and there answer was just pay it. Gee why didnt i think of that.

timothyh74
7/31/17

My wife hired a lawyer to do a no contest divorce. I felt her requests were too high. I answered the NOLO questions stating my concerns with what she wanted. They said they found a lawyer in my area. It was one lawyer and it was the one my wife had hired. Not good! I went onto their live chat to let them know. It is NOT a "Live CHat".

davel121
5/31/17

Their online products are terrible. If you could simply purchase software to, for instance, create a Living Trust, that would be fine. However, the online version is clunky at best and virtually impossible to renew, so that you cannot make changes to the trust you have created. Their web site is amateurish for a large company.

judithw35
5/7/17

I was told that Nolo has a reasonable refund policy for bogus leads. My first lead was along the lines of "I want to talk to a lawyer because my employer is invading my mind and harassing me telepathically." I asked for a refund, right? What this poor woman needs, no lawyer can provide. Refund refused. Nolo employs high pressure sales tactics, now with three different individuals per account, so that you can easily spend half an hour on the phone just getting one simple matter attended to, and then they nickel and dime you to death. It's an exercise in aggravation. Just. Don't. Bother.

larrys153
4/25/17

I would get leads from people just out of prison or seeking pro bono help. Most decent leads were usually from out my area and they would not give you credit for it even though they said they would.

lg63
4/13/17

What ever you do, don't even think about using live chat on their site. It's a robot survey disguised as chat to get your contact information and offer no live assistance. Then good luck trying to talk to someone in customer service to request they not spam you with product emails. STAY AWAY FROM NOLO.

dq4
4/3/17

These people are true charlatans. Warning to Attorney's: don't waste your time with their lies and deceit. You get little if any of what they promise. Be warned.

amya71
3/3/17

The article: "Put your employer on notice of your disability with a reasonable accommodation letter" written by Judge Guerin is completely incorrect. At no time is an employee to EVER state what their disability is when requesting accommodations. They are to state as such, "I have a disability which requires the following accommodations." That's it. The employer may wish to request doctor proof but then the doctor only need state: "I affirm/deny that my patient has a disability which requires the accommodations requested." ANY request for specific disability violates the ADA, and HIPPA. Then the employer must provide such accommodations if they are reasonable, dont change the official nature of the business, or cause an undue hardship on the establishment.

Harvard and Corenell state that Judges are rarely well versed in disability rights and are apt to be ingrained in shallow knowledge. She appears to be one. I suggest they read Harvard's letter on disability rights, housing and mental illness as it covers the information this judge is lacking, as does the ADA, but this judge has not read it with understanding apparently.

Good grief the information given was just scarey! Do NOT go to NOLO for quick advice it is sorely wrong

brw5
2/16/17

*** This site is horrible. THEY ONLY WANT YOUR MONEY! NO WAY to REACH a LIVE PERSON. My inquiry for help was NEVER responded to. I downloaded a very important NDA Form for my business, but found out THEIR FORM had a HUGE MISTAKE in it. Additionally, they did NOT include a VERY IMPORTANT CLAUSE like MOST NDA forms have. STAY AWAY from this site for ANY kind of E-Forms. It seems they try to cover too many 'bases' and DON'T FOCUS on ANYTHING in particular. ***

kathil4
1/31/17

The leads you pay for are typically not leads at all, instead they are people who have questions that are not pertinent. A lead should not read "need help, just got out of prison" or "depressed" as a lead, as we are not social workers but attorneys. Beware that 9 of 10 leads (at best) are worthless and this inflates the cost of conversion to one of the industry highest per lead rates (and a large waste of precious time).

sharonz6
12/7/16

Great references and legal documents for the layman and the paraprofessional. Good estate planning documents, for good or for people who can't afford an attorney right now. Better to have something in place than nothing. (But still go to a lawyer eventually. Even so, reading these books will help you understand what an attorney is doing for you!)

lavellam
11/30/16

Please review your referrals....its frustrating to hear an attorney office say....well if a provider hasn't killed you or almost killed you we can't take your case. I feeling some kind of way after lose 3 teeth which was only suppose to be a root canal.

Tip for consumers: research the do and don'ts of your referrals,,,,even though its only a referral

jeannec17
11/23/16

I had a simple question I tried to ask about home invasion laws. My husband and I disagreed on whether or not a warning shot was legally required if someone breaks in and you have to use force to deter or stop them. I was treated like a criminal. The secretary couldn't or actually wouldn't proceed to even tell me to find another site without my information. I had to answer how long my case was pending. I told her it was just a yes or no question. She could have told me she was clueless or legally couldn't answer my question since she wasn't licensed (which is bull crud). Most likely she didn't know. I am going to be awful upset if I get charged for a service I Even Ben Franklin would opt to represent himself than hire these people. I have a headache from banging my head against the wall so to speak. That's pain and suffering I think.OH NOW I HAVE TO LET THEM HAVE ACCESS TO MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT TO WRITE A REVIEW. Just lemme copy and paste

118 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

In life you get what you pay for, if you are looking for a generic better than nothing then use NOLO, but if you looking for a document that meets your needs contact an estate planning attorney. Documents are state specific and laws change all the time, it would be impossible for NOLO to keep up with all the changes in all 50 states, obtain a free consult from an attorney.

By Cynthia A.

Questions? Get answers from the Nolo staff and other customers.

Nolo?