Review of Restaurant.com

Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004, USA
Tel: 855.832.8728

andrews305
10/6/17

Over the past two years, I have received $300 in Restaurant.com "Gift Cards" from attending various promotional events. In attempting to redeem these cards, I have discovered that they do not function as gift cards in the sense that other gift cards function. And this information was confirmed by one of the customer service operators at Restaurant.com's toll free service number.

If I receive a gift card for a traditional store or restaurant--Lowe's, Target, Staples, Chili's, etc.--or a Visa gift card, the card is good for the value initially indicated on the card, whether it's as low as $5 or as high as $100. I do not need to pay Lowe's or Target or Staples or Chili's any additional amount for goods or services in order to redeem the card, or in the case of a Visa gift card, any additional amount at point of purchase. Further, if my purchase is less than the value of the card--let's say I have a $25 gift card and my purchase totals $18.69--the remaining balance is still available to me on the card; and in the case of individual store cards such as Lowe's or Target, the receipt indicates my remaining balance.

With the "gift cards" at Restaurants.com, the card can ONLY be redeemed through the website. I cannot present the gift card at the point of purchase for redemption. The certificate I receive is then for a multiple of $5, usually $10, $20, or $25. If I have a $50 "gift card" and choose to redeem for one $25 and one $20 gift card, unless I am very lucky and there happens to be some outlet that offers a $5 gift certificate (there are none in my immediate area), I apparently lose the ability to redeem the remaining $5 on the "gift card", as I cannot combine offers according to the terms and conditions of Restaurant.com.

Further, the few participating restaurants only accept the redeemed certificates as part of a much larger purchase. Example: a local pizza restaurant allows me to redeem $15 certificates from my "gift cards". And in presenting these gift cards, I may only redeem on per visit; but I must make a minimum purchase of $30 in order to redeem the certificate! That's not a "gift card"! It's a DISCOUNT card!

Restaurant.com misrepresents itself in issuing these cards labeled with the words "gift cards". And this labeling, which is on the reverse of each card, is clear, in boldface type, in the largest font size on the reverse of the card. Further, in allowing corporations (such as a major timeshare entity) to issue these cards, and instructing their point-of-contact representatives that these are "gift cards", they are causing these corporations to misrepresent themselves, probably without being aware that there is any hint of impropriety.

In the future, if such "gift cards" are offered me at some promotional event, I shal make the representative issuing the cards aware of the facts.

And I am definitely considering contacting an attorney specializing in class-action lawsuits over the mis-representation. If Restaurant.com had called the cards what they actually are, I would have no issue with the cards.

I am only too glad that I did not do the foolish thing, redeeming a portion of one of the cards for $30 in certificates for the restaurant, go and order $30 worth of food, and find out after a friend I had already eaten that I could not pay for the meal in it's entirety with the two certificates.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

gregl81
10/4/17

I received three certificates and attempted to redeem them on my phone using their app. The first code was accepted, but then did not show up on my account. I attempted to use it again and it said it had been redeemed. I then logged in on my computer so I could see the full screen and redeemed the second code. It appears on my account on my PC, but does not appear on my phone app, which you need to use it at a restaurant. I am logged into my same account on both. The app is very buggy and won't let you exit some screens.

maryk272
10/2/17

You have to spend $$ to use the vouchers. Very limited restaurants that participate. Lots of restrictions. Most of the places I had never heard of. You end up going somewhere you wouldn't even try if you didn't have a voucher for. I thought it was a waste of my dollars.

giam10
9/27/17

The restuarants listed on there website do not accept the coupons that are offered on Restuarant.com. I spoke to the owner of La Cocina De Balam in Santa Fe. Mr. Lemus, the owner, informed me he does not accept Restaurant.com coupons. He also stated he informed Restaurant.com to remove his restaurant and they still have not complied. Mr. Lemus and I will contact the State General Attorney. Restaurant.com is beyond fraudulent and should be shut down!! You have are warned. . . do not do business with Restaurant.com!!!

marcusw25
9/22/17

Whoever the web developer is for this company needs to be hung. seriously.

ms461
9/16/17

Selections limited to places that generally have constant freebies, and then your certificate will come with a ton of restrictions designed to make it impossible to actually use. I went all in on a $200 package, and just tossed $75 worth in trash, it is absolutely a rip-off. Here in Santa Barbara, there were six places that would take, most being taco places where you had to spend $30 to use your $10 discount (a LOT of tacos!), The one 'high end' place (Moby $#*!'s) is a horrendous tourist trap.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME BUYING RESTAURANT.COM DISCOUNT COUPONS.

paml51
9/16/17

Mi Tierra on Rayford absolutely the WORST Mexican Food I have ever eaten. Beef Fajitas, charro beans, refried beans, chips, guacamole, pico de gallo and salsa absolutely no taste at all and the beef was DRY. Won't even give the a 1 out of 5. Wasted my money and it wasn't cheap. Don't go there.. Pappasito's Mexican or Guadalajara's from now on.

tomg137
9/12/17

After you purchase the product, then they give you the guidelines.
Understand, the deals look great.... bjut when you give them your credit card info, THEN they put it to you.
Run don't walk from these guys.

tommyk17
9/5/17

They where notified that Just Fred's in area code 44505 no longer exists. Just sent me a form e-mail and still has coupons for sale on their site. The headaches are not worth the savings

tylerc57
9/3/17

They tricked me into giving them $56. It was all of they money I have. You can't use them as gift cards. All you are doing is buying $#*!ty coupons. STAY AWAY. I wish I could give them 0 stars. They do no refunds. I can not afford to pay for the food with coupons. I will not be eating for the week now. It is complete bull$#*! and it ruined my anniversary trip with my boyfriend. $#*! this scam.

nicolep62
8/31/17

You're better off signing up for "rewards" with a chain like TGIFriday's or getting "buy one get one free" meal offers with your local restaurants, if such deals are available. Not quite sure what the point of Restaurant.com is. I can definitely say it's unrealistically complicated, inconvenient, and you'll likely end up spending more money to save a little when all is said and done. We threw away frequent flyer miles on this site, what a waste. Get a magazine subscription instead.

susanw201
8/29/17

Bought a certificate for a restaurant that no longer accepts them. Just great, it was not in my budget to swallow the entire bill. And to add insult to injury, all you can do is exchange, no refunds. Not a great option if you live out in the boonies like I do, since comparable alternative are nonexistent. Restaurant.com is no longer accepted by me!

sherrir20
8/29/17

Had gift certificate for 25 dollars had everything ordered found out I had to buy 25 more dollars worth to use gift card. Couldn't refund gift card so I lost gift card I worked hard for. NEVER USING RESTAURANT AGAIN. I would give 0 review. Dissatisfied.

richardl188
8/27/17

Had a certificate for a local Memphis restaurant that went out of business. Contacted them by email to explain and they said to fill out the report on their website abd then I could exchange my certificate for another restaurant. But after many attempts to recover a new certificate, no reply or follow-up. No one has answered my emails. Just another consumer rip-off! Fool me once...

starr42
8/26/17

Same thing happen here supposed to have a $25 gift card which is actually valued at $10 per gift card just not pizza the food was garbage and overrated will never eat there again and I unsubscribe to the restaurant.com website

kyleer1
8/22/17

My friend told me to attend this seminar where they sell vacation packages and in exchange for the 90 minutes seat down and listening to the agents trying to sell you tickets you will get a free $100.00 gift card regardless if you buy their vacation packages or not. I surely did get mine "RESTAURANT.COM" gift card. It is a waste of time, they want you to sign in to restaurant.com and upload their apps and whole bunch of run around. I thought I was done when I did mine and went to Soup Plantation where I thought I could use the card BUT the gift card was not accepted. I checked online again and found out that there are only a few restaurants that accepts the said gift card and reading all the consumer's reviews made me feel I don't want to waste more time dealing with this mess!!!

josha45
8/19/17

Restaurant.com is the definition of small print rip-off website. Not only did they value my "$25 gift card" as $10 on my website of choice, they also added a bunch of hidden specifications that I could use my credit for. I ended up wasting the gift card balance I had, since I would have to put down more than twice the balance I had to even make a purchase. Restaurant.com is one of the worst sites I have ever used and I can't wait until it goes out of business. I would have given it 0 stars if that was possible. Bye Felicia.

mostafar3
8/19/17

I had $100 certificate and I used $25 only with the condition they mentioned and suddenly all the rest of the money is gone and couldn't find or use it. Rip Off!!

allans49
8/16/17

Within a week of receiving my first $25.00 restaurant certificate, I received an email that the restaurant in question was no longer in the program.
My next purchase was a 12-month Mobile membership to the Entertainment Book which, as it turns out, expires in 90 days. I spoke to two different reps at Restaurant .com over two days to try and get the PROMO Code to downloand the mobile app. Then when I finally received it and tried to complete my membership, the site said that the PROMO Code had expired. I've spent two hours trying to resolve this one simple purchase ($10), and have had no sucess. I finally had to call my credit card company and stop payment on the charge. What a miserable way to waste two hours which I'll never get back! I strongly suggest that you avoid Restaurant.com at all cost. Worst site ever!!!

reneed47
8/12/17

The worst app and webite ever. This app and site have potential but some greedy principals brought it to a downward spiral. Greed and lack of vision and reinvesting money on good IT and structure is the only word to describe what happened here. Wake up young app builders and create a new more competitive version, alternate to groupon.

johnr512
8/10/17

I noticed Restaurants.com on one of my survey sites and decided to try them. Thinking that $50 meant $50 dollars I joined and immediately had problems with certificates. The 50% off was not noticed by me, since that message was in tiny print. They suckered me real good.

robertf212
8/10/17

Do NOT buy their discount coupons, they're a fraud!!! They get a restaurant to agree to allow them to help promote, then, without talking with the restaurants, sells 'discount coupons' that people expect to work. Then the restaurant won't honor the discount, and the customer gets angry with the restaurant, who are actually the injured party. Avoid restaurants.com like the plague!

chelseaw30
8/7/17

I have tried to use this site so many times, and it is absolutely horrible. I have $200 worth of coupons that I got for taking a tour, and I can't even use them because there is only ONE participating restaurant in my area. Such a waste.

brittanys77
8/5/17

We were given a deal where we could get 2 movie tickets and a $100 restaurant giftcard for $30. We read the fine print which stated you could choose from lots of restaurants and did not list any additional fees or strings attached. So we purchased it. Once you purchase it and try to redeem the code comes the load of crap. There were only 10 restaurants to choose from(mostly rinkydink locations, the nicest one being a bistro in a hotel) and only 2 in our actual city. Then you can not use the value on one visit. It has to be broken down into increments based on each restaurant and each place you had to spend double the certificate amount to be able to use it. So basically if we wanted to use the $25 certificate which was the largest it could be broken down into, we would have to spend $50 to get $25 dollars off. And you would have to get 4 certificates to get the value(or even more complicated break it down into $5 certificates for other restaurants) and you can only use 1 certificate per visit with only 1 visit allowed per month. Which means we would have to go 4 separate months and spend $25 to $30 each time on top of using the certificate. which means you did not get the $30 great deal . you actually have to spend a total of around $160 . And it lists none of this "extra" costs and strings and crap in the original fine print,it's after you have already wasted your money and cant get it back. Plus the website is complicated and crappy. I wouldn't ever purchase anything to do with restaurant.com ever again and would not ever recommend it to anyone ever. It's a huge lie and a total scam. Waste of time and money.

Tip for consumers: Don't waste your time.

williamb306
7/29/17

We got a $50 gift card for joining Bjs Wholesale, long story short, the app and website are both designed specifically to be impossible to operate.....after several attempts to use the card unsuccessfully we threw 3 of them away.

Helpful answer

Same thing happened to me. There is no live person to talk to. They will give you a credit to use on another voucher but you will probably run into the same problem.

By Yvette R. on 12/9/15
Helpful answer

Burn it! Restaurant.com is not going to work with you at all. They are scam artists

By Miguel G. on 11/1/15

Yes you need to pay almost 5 times as much as you pay. Dont do that

By Mehdi F. on 10/11/15
Helpful answer

Most likely because of people like me. I had never heard of this company, but, was offered their cards as part of a promotion. After being burned, I took the time to post my opinion. Others may not take the time to caution others...

By C H. on 12/1/15
Helpful answer

Another dismayed Restaurant.com participant. Join the hundreds if not thousands of consumers who fall prey to their ploy and have been subjected to what you are undergoing time and time again.

By John M. on 2/14/13
Helpful answer

Your question is not very clear but if your certificate is "unused" I assume that means it hasn't been used yet and it is available for you to use. Be sure to check for other possible restrictions and minimum purchases.

By Joel B. on 9/21/15
Helpful answer

No restaurants directly accept the gift card at the restaurant.

By Joe S. on 1/14/17
Helpful answer

You probably can't since it is virtually impossible to reach the company. I wish I had a better answer for you.

By D L. on 10/17/15
Helpful answer

And when you call restaurant.com Theresa K or some other staff member will politely tell you, in essence, you don't have any $135 value. They will find a reason but they will suggest you spend more only to loss that too. Be cautious.

By John M. on 1/2/15

Agree with Angie L.

By D L. on 7/29/15
Questions? Get answers from the Restaurant.com staff and other customers.

Restaurant.com?