Review of Restaurant.com

Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004, USA
Tel: 855.832.8728

nonyab11
12/13/17

Heres a $25 gift card. But you have to spend $50 first in order to use it. And you have to be a first-time customer. And you can't use it with any other deal, including Happy Hour. And none of the restaurants are that good. Enjoy!

Absolutely garbage. A huge scam website that bilks you out of your money and sends you off to other scammy websites to do the same.

bananac
12/12/17

The regulations on redeeming gift cards, credits, etc. are absolutely ridiculous. They figured out a way to get people to invest into their garbage and then still pay more money when you use their "product". Run far away!

dennisp70
12/11/17

A couple of days ago, I received a $25. Restaurant.com gift certificate. I logged onto my account on their website, to credit those funds to my account. Now there is no credit in my account. What happened to my $25. All I can say is RIP-OFF. Another lesson learned, and thank goodness not too costly.

charleneandh
12/5/17

While this may be a decent deal for the consumer, it's an awful deal for the restaurant! We've used several in our town, and each time the staff (including managers and OWNERS!) have never even heard of restaurant.com. These restaurant owners have not given permission for these coupons to be used, yet they have to take them from the consumer or risk losing their business. That's called THEFT!!! I thought these were a good deal until I found out the restaurant.com was using me to steal from local restaurant owners. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL dirty business practices

narendranathr
12/1/17

I purchased 4 10Dollar Coupons and I wanted to exchange and but once I clicked on the Exhange button the coupon is puffed off ... Its lost no return of money or anything

So pissed of of this website... Total scam and do not use this.

I bought this from Groupon, and become useless..... Total loss

dennisr72
11/30/17

I signed up and purchased a number of PAPER certificates, not posted to my online account when this just opened. Of course I didn't use them for quite some time and one of the restaurants closed. I contacted their customer support to see if I could get the PAPER certificate exchanged to another restaurant. They keep telling me to log into my account and click on the electronic certificate to exchange it. They aren't even reading my email explaining that I have no electronic certificates and am trying to exchange a PAPER certificate they issued to me when they started their service.

They are a bunch of Bozos working in customer support.

Do not purchase certificates from these guys.

davidh606
11/20/17

Restaurant.com offers some good deals and genuine savings. That said, problems will likely arise if you don't carefully research its site AND each restaurant in which you're interested. Go to the restaurant.com site. Type in the relevant zip code (usually for your home area or a place you will soon visit) or a type of cuisine you prefer. Write down the name and contact information of each restaurant that interests you. Note each restaurant's ostensible restrictions--as listed on restaurant.com--regarding restaurant.com. Make sure you also note a restaurant's telephone number or email or texting address. CONTACT the restaurant: by phone is the fastest and cheapest, if local. Politely ask a SUPERVISOR or someone with equivalent authority about the restaurant's policies regarding restaurant.com. Make SURE you speak to someone of genuine supervisory authority and record that person's first name. Double and triple check with the SUPERVISORY person about any restrictions regarding restaurant.com: $50 minimum purchase? not valid Friday through Sunday? not valid for the buffet or combination meals? separate gratuity still expected? Okay. Record all of this information where you can quickly retrieve it. Make sure you've got all the information you need. NOW, you could still run into problems, but it's far less likely. Say, you're a single person eating alone. You note the $50 minimum purchase. Okay: plan to eat a dinner in AND order some take out you'll really want--say, for lunch and dinner at home tomorrow. GREAT! You've saved some good money on food you really want. But you'll likely feel ripped off, unless you do some research first. (Also, if rather than a card you print up an e-gift card on your home computer, be sure to stick this in a plastic sleeve or in a safe, dry place.) Okay: I understand some of the criticisms of restaurant.com that I've read on this site. My experience with restaurant.com has been fairly positive, but others note some valid concerns here. If you do your research first--and then double check again when you arrive at the restaurant--you're likely to save some good cash at a nice restaurant you genuinely like. That's a big "if"--do the research first and avoid hassles, misinterpretations, and that ugly "ripped off" feeling.

bryanm106
11/13/17

All $25 gift cards crossed out and only worth $10. A total headache and waste of time!

Stay away , scam , nothing but aggravation.

joes524
11/10/17
• Updated review

This company has not changed its tactics... I get the impression that many visitors to this site don't fully understand how this whole "scheme" works. First, you buy or receive a gift card from restaurant.com. Typical price is $20 for $125 "worth" of gift cards. Then you go to the restaurant.com website and "purchase" restaurant certificates (or whatever they call them) from "participating" restaurants. So, typically a $25 restaurant.com gift card (which cost $4) will purchase a $25 restaurant certificate, with the typical restriction that you must purchase $50 worth of food (liquor may or may not be excluded). So, you are really getting $50 worth of food for $29 out of pocket. And all of the above assumes the restaurant you want to eat at, is even one of the restaurants on their list. And further, even if the restaurant is on their list, MANY commenters have reported that when they have shown up at the intended restaurant, the staff knows nothing about these "certificates" and claims they have never heard of restaurant.com. There is something very wrong with restaurant.com. Pay attention to the fact that the majority of reviews are 1 star. Should probably be 0 stars. BUYER BEWARE, BIG TIME!

Tip for consumers: Be sure there is a restaurant you like on their list and contact them ahead of time to ensure that they will actually accept restaurant.com certificates. I cannot suggest more strongly, do this before buying anything from this company! And whatever you do, don't buy their giftcards to give as gifts. The gift recipient will hate you for putting them through so much grief, and you will look cheap. You are better off paying full price for a specific company's gift card, NOT from this company.

“BUYER BEWARE”
12/27/15
• Previous review

matthewc110
11/2/17

Very misleading advertising. Thought I could use multiple gift cards at time. Checked website and there was no mention of restrictions. After buying gift cards, THEN I was told I could only use 1 at a time per month. Called customer service and they would not refund the money.

chriss632
10/31/17

Disappointed about Little Caesars In Albemarle I was a little late getting there he took the payment told me to pull up the white line ( I will ask to see the food first from the time I placed the order It only took 43 minutes ...
Got both orders of wings wrong pizza was correct but cold
the guy who took the payment said my order would be out in couple minutes Boy was he wrong...
If the order is wrong why not on time?
The guy s name is sorry sorry sorry
told me to pull up so he could wait on Customers...
So after you get my money I am no longer customer ?

michellet141
10/27/17

I bought four gifts cards and was excited to use them! But three of the four places would not accept them. One said I could only use it for dinner not for lunch, but it didn´t say that ANYWHERE on the site. Another one said the restaurant had a new owner and wasn´t accepting them anymore and the third place said they never gave restaurant.com permission to even sell them, and offered a free appetizer in return. So I basically just wasted my money. It is a SCAM. Will never, ever use them again and I hope enough people give them bad reviews so they go out of business. They are not only scamming consumers, but harming businesses who do not give them permission to even sell things in their name.

garyf86
10/25/17

I went to a restaurant and gave them the coupon code which they validated and they never gave me the discount havent heard from the manager/owner and also havent heard from restaurant.com. Would not recommend this to anyone

mimed
10/23/17

They are sending customers with 60% off coupons to my restaurant with out my permission. Even after i contact them thew keep sending customers. It a horrible website.

andrews305
10/6/17

Over the past two years, I have received $300 in Restaurant.com "Gift Cards" from attending various promotional events. In attempting to redeem these cards, I have discovered that they do not function as gift cards in the sense that other gift cards function. And this information was confirmed by one of the customer service operators at Restaurant.com's toll free service number.

If I receive a gift card for a traditional store or restaurant--Lowe's, Target, Staples, Chili's, etc.--or a Visa gift card, the card is good for the value initially indicated on the card, whether it's as low as $5 or as high as $100. I do not need to pay Lowe's or Target or Staples or Chili's any additional amount for goods or services in order to redeem the card, or in the case of a Visa gift card, any additional amount at point of purchase. Further, if my purchase is less than the value of the card--let's say I have a $25 gift card and my purchase totals $18.69--the remaining balance is still available to me on the card; and in the case of individual store cards such as Lowe's or Target, the receipt indicates my remaining balance.

With the "gift cards" at Restaurants.com, the card can ONLY be redeemed through the website. I cannot present the gift card at the point of purchase for redemption. The certificate I receive is then for a multiple of $5, usually $10, $20, or $25. If I have a $50 "gift card" and choose to redeem for one $25 and one $20 gift card, unless I am very lucky and there happens to be some outlet that offers a $5 gift certificate (there are none in my immediate area), I apparently lose the ability to redeem the remaining $5 on the "gift card", as I cannot combine offers according to the terms and conditions of Restaurant.com.

Further, the few participating restaurants only accept the redeemed certificates as part of a much larger purchase. Example: a local pizza restaurant allows me to redeem $15 certificates from my "gift cards". And in presenting these gift cards, I may only redeem on per visit; but I must make a minimum purchase of $30 in order to redeem the certificate! That's not a "gift card"! It's a DISCOUNT card!

Restaurant.com misrepresents itself in issuing these cards labeled with the words "gift cards". And this labeling, which is on the reverse of each card, is clear, in boldface type, in the largest font size on the reverse of the card. Further, in allowing corporations (such as a major timeshare entity) to issue these cards, and instructing their point-of-contact representatives that these are "gift cards", they are causing these corporations to misrepresent themselves, probably without being aware that there is any hint of impropriety.

In the future, if such "gift cards" are offered me at some promotional event, I shal make the representative issuing the cards aware of the facts.

And I am definitely considering contacting an attorney specializing in class-action lawsuits over the mis-representation. If Restaurant.com had called the cards what they actually are, I would have no issue with the cards.

I am only too glad that I did not do the foolish thing, redeeming a portion of one of the cards for $30 in certificates for the restaurant, go and order $30 worth of food, and find out after a friend I had already eaten that I could not pay for the meal in it's entirety with the two certificates.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

gregl81
10/4/17

I received three certificates and attempted to redeem them on my phone using their app. The first code was accepted, but then did not show up on my account. I attempted to use it again and it said it had been redeemed. I then logged in on my computer so I could see the full screen and redeemed the second code. It appears on my account on my PC, but does not appear on my phone app, which you need to use it at a restaurant. I am logged into my same account on both. The app is very buggy and won't let you exit some screens.

maryk272
10/2/17

You have to spend $$ to use the vouchers. Very limited restaurants that participate. Lots of restrictions. Most of the places I had never heard of. You end up going somewhere you wouldn't even try if you didn't have a voucher for. I thought it was a waste of my dollars.

giam10
9/27/17

The restuarants listed on there website do not accept the coupons that are offered on Restuarant.com. I spoke to the owner of La Cocina De Balam in Santa Fe. Mr. Lemus, the owner, informed me he does not accept Restaurant.com coupons. He also stated he informed Restaurant.com to remove his restaurant and they still have not complied. Mr. Lemus and I will contact the State General Attorney. Restaurant.com is beyond fraudulent and should be shut down!! You have are warned. . . do not do business with Restaurant.com!!!

marcusw25
9/22/17

Whoever the web developer is for this company needs to be hung. seriously.

ms461
9/16/17

Selections limited to places that generally have constant freebies, and then your certificate will come with a ton of restrictions designed to make it impossible to actually use. I went all in on a $200 package, and just tossed $75 worth in trash, it is absolutely a rip-off. Here in Santa Barbara, there were six places that would take, most being taco places where you had to spend $30 to use your $10 discount (a LOT of tacos!), The one 'high end' place (Moby $#*!'s) is a horrendous tourist trap.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME BUYING RESTAURANT.COM DISCOUNT COUPONS.

paml51
9/16/17

Mi Tierra on Rayford absolutely the WORST Mexican Food I have ever eaten. Beef Fajitas, charro beans, refried beans, chips, guacamole, pico de gallo and salsa absolutely no taste at all and the beef was DRY. Won't even give the a 1 out of 5. Wasted my money and it wasn't cheap. Don't go there.. Pappasito's Mexican or Guadalajara's from now on.

tomg137
9/12/17

After you purchase the product, then they give you the guidelines.
Understand, the deals look great.... bjut when you give them your credit card info, THEN they put it to you.
Run don't walk from these guys.

tommyk17
9/5/17

They where notified that Just Fred's in area code 44505 no longer exists. Just sent me a form e-mail and still has coupons for sale on their site. The headaches are not worth the savings

tylerc57
9/3/17

They tricked me into giving them $56. It was all of they money I have. You can't use them as gift cards. All you are doing is buying $#*!ty coupons. STAY AWAY. I wish I could give them 0 stars. They do no refunds. I can not afford to pay for the food with coupons. I will not be eating for the week now. It is complete bull$#*! and it ruined my anniversary trip with my boyfriend. $#*! this scam.

nicolep62
8/31/17

You're better off signing up for "rewards" with a chain like TGIFriday's or getting "buy one get one free" meal offers with your local restaurants, if such deals are available. Not quite sure what the point of Restaurant.com is. I can definitely say it's unrealistically complicated, inconvenient, and you'll likely end up spending more money to save a little when all is said and done. We threw away frequent flyer miles on this site, what a waste. Get a magazine subscription instead.

Yes you need to pay almost 5 times as much as you pay. Dont do that

By Mehdi F.

Most likely because of people like me. I had never heard of this company, but, was offered their cards as part of a promotion. After being burned, I took the time to post my opinion. Others may not take the time to caution others...

By C H.

Another dismayed Restaurant.com participant. Join the hundreds if not thousands of consumers who fall prey to their ploy and have been subjected to what you are undergoing time and time again.

By John M.

Your question is not very clear but if your certificate is "unused" I assume that means it hasn't been used yet and it is available for you to use. Be sure to check for other possible restrictions and minimum purchases.

By Joel B.

No restaurants directly accept the gift card at the restaurant.

By Joe S.

You probably can't since it is virtually impossible to reach the company. I wish I had a better answer for you.

By D L.

And when you call restaurant.com Theresa K or some other staff member will politely tell you, in essence, you don't have any $135 value. They will find a reason but they will suggest you spend more only to loss that too. Be cautious.

By John M.

Agree with Angie L.

By D L.
Questions? Get answers from the Restaurant.com staff and other customers.

Restaurant.com?