Review of InterPals.net

heraa
7/9/17

My experience with Interpals left me feeling highly disappointed.
Sure, I didn't expect a lot from a free chat website, but I have to admit that I expected slightly better than this.
There was issues uploading photos, issues viewing photos, no response from admin regarding these issues, 419 scammers not limited to any particular country, annoying messages from people who apparently find it too 'time consuming' to bother reading the request section of a person's profile, but on the same token, insist that they 'want to get to know you better'.
Most of the messages I received were of the same boring generic nature, strangers wanting my Skype, whatsapp, facebook and so forth within five minutes of having introduced themselves.
This same style of time-wasting, frustrating messaging was noted with such frequency that I am now of the belief that Interpals must be crawling with spambots.

I wonder how many genuine profiles there actually are?

Honestly, I have had better quality conversations on mIRC chat and yahoo forums. That's really saying something.

paulp174
7/7/17

I've been in this site for 10 years now and I would say it's ok to pick up friends and it's free. Where else can you do it on the Internet for free nowadays?

katherinep12
7/5/17

I have been on and off this website for a few years now. I have met some nice people. Then I have had to deal with some rude, ignorant, uneducated people. It's a hit or miss, but I wouldn't say it is a good place to make longer term friends or to learn a language. Sometimes people answer sometimes they don't. All I get are people from the Middle East or Africa messaging me and they don't always know how to write in English and no I am not being mean they write something and it makes no sense what so ever can' even read it. No one really reads your profile so I don't bother putting a lot on it. The website just looks outdated and needs a face lift. I know in your profile you can put an age range of people who can contact you and select counties or continents you don't want people to message you from, well it doesn't work. I have it set for ages 26 to 36 and don't accept messages from Africa and certain other countries but I still get messages from people, so don't bother. As for searching for people. I will sometimes narrow down the search to say Europe only but it will still give me people from around the world. I wouldn't recommend.

hasand
6/11/17

it is hard to get answer from people on interpals.
i dont know why they dont reply messages :D
maybe they just want to american,japan,korean etc friends.

yolandag18
5/16/17

I have been a member of Interpals for 7 months now. I do think it is possible to make genuine people, as I have made 5 real people on the site since joining. One tip is to be quite specific in your profile message on your home page what you are and are not looking for e.g. you are looking for friends to engage in real conversation, and not looking for romance. I think the more things you put about yourself such as your interest, hobbies, etc, more people tend to show interest. I do agree however that there are a lot of time wasting people on the site, particularly men, who are looking to flirt, and use the site as a dating website! However there is a facility on the website to block unwanted messages and contact from particular people or countries if they are reoccurring. The thought of potentially meeting and making lots of friends from around the world, is exciting, however the reality is, that out of every 20 you contact, you probably will make one or two real friends. So it better to put your time and effort into developing friendships with a handful of people, than lots and waste your time, looking for new people every time you log on to build your circles it is tempting especially when you see different faces all the time!. The reality also, is that a lot of people have already established friendships or contact with a number of people on the site, and no matter how attractive your photo is, they just don't have the time to take on any more friends, so they wont respond. Don't take it personal, just understand. It might be an idea to search for new members, who are just starting out on Interpals, as they will be a lot more enthusiastic, and likely to respond. Also when contacting some one directly, say more than 'hi' or 'how are you' introduce yourself, give a reason why you are on interpals, and state a few of your interest and a couple of lines about yourself. You will come across as more serious, and stand out from those one word one liner messagers. If you manage to establish good trusting connection with others, rather than loose their friendship, it might be an idea to exchange email, Skype, or Whats app, once you become comfortable with each other, as this way you can maintain contact even if they stop using interpals for a while, and it also helps to sustain the friendship.

Well I hope this helps, and good luck!

beckyb51
Becky B.
5/13/17

I tried for two weeks and got only people from Africa message or view me..with sexual messages or the usual messages they send..(like they are desperate to talk to anyone. Sorry for sounding racist but it's on every site I get it) and all my attempts to other countries (even my own) were read and ignored. I took interest in several people no one would respond.

luisg68
5/12/17

Well, I have used other similar websites and apps and I have experienced the same things on all of them.

People to whom you send a message and do not answer.

People that answer just one or two messages and then disappear.

People with whom you were having a good conversation and, all of a sudden, they stop messaging for no reason.

Among other things. It not only happens on Interpals, this happens everywhere else. I guess that knowing this beforehand will save you a lot of trouble. Still, I was able to make some friends like that. It may be luck, but it is possible. You may also not make any friends, but at least this site allows you to have some good conversations with people, even if you don't continue talking with them in the long run. Just like in real life, you don't continue talking with many people even if you considered them friends.

Overall, I think the site is good if you know how to use it, despite its flaws.

saras183
5/7/17

When I joined 8 years ago, this site did have some claim to be a "proper" penpal site. I've written for lengthy periods of time to quite a lot of interesting and friendly people (and even met a couple, just as friends). So far so good. However hardly any of those friendships lasted and some of my penpals have written for years, long and friendly emails and messages, only to cease for no reason that I could see. This is very disheartening, as another reviewer said, you start to wonder whether you've done or said something wrong, or that they've just gone off you because you've somehow ceased to be interesting. I went back to the site recently to see if I could find new penpals but it seems now to consist of men looking for hook ups and people who stop writing after a few messages or don't reply at all. I recently had one man ask why I was pretending to want a penpal...that's after I told him it wasn't a dating site and he should try OK Cupid..

mits21
5/4/17

Ignorant and mostly fake and IMPORTANT QUALITY IS RUDENESS. Very bad for a penpal site. This review is not biased but really stupid ones join this

Not only this but I will never use any penpal site. Its very nice site for those who have lots of time and lost in weird natures

sn243
S N.
5/3/17

Joined this website to make friends in a few countries that I want to visit. I contacted those who had long term accounts and had a few pictures. Some of them profiles stated that they want to chat. So, when I contacted these people, with a nice detailed intro message, I either got a profile view and my message was never clicked into, you can see this bcoz the message is highlighted in pink if not read and then others read my message but didnt view my profile.
It is a joke of a website with sooo sooooo many fake, impolite, unfriendly and lying people, I think, because its a website to chat on and meet new people, not to get picture comments and just ignore people and block people for sending a decent message. They complain about getting 'how r u' messages but when u send a good 1, it gets ignored too. Also, the customer service part of interpals is terrible and the website is buggy. Finally, another comment said, you just need to know to use the website, that is fkn bullsh*** talk from probably a scammer too, who knows. People, if your reading this, think, long and hard about joining this site, it will not meet your expectations and it will make you feel worthless, maybe you should try another site, if there is 1 that is actually full of people that actually, want to chat.
Overall, the people using it and the customer service....I warrant this website a 1 star, id give half a star if possible but ok, I am not bitter but I am experienced on that site to know all this and i wont be keeping on using interpals, that is for sure.

lindao60
4/29/17

I have been on InterPals for years. I have met many good friends American and international. It is not a good dating or language learning site but if you are just looking for casual friends to swap life experiences, it fits the bill. the trick is in the filters, be specific about the age, gender and countries you will accept. Block anyone you don't want or are suspicious of. Go to a real dating site if you want romance.

dicks41
4/19/17

Interpals is not what it claims to be; a pen-pal site. Had an account there for a while but got really disppointed when I saw it's full of weirdos, scammers & boring narcissistic people. Most are quite ugly & far too lazy or arrogant to even write a profile. They certainly don't reply to anyone. So if you wish to waste your time trying to connect with morons who continually make ugly selfies because they're so dumb & have no real personality, please carry on. Your life will soon become as nondescript & meaningless as theirs. Good luck with that.

alicew70
4/19/17

I've been in Interpals.net for 8 years on and off, sadly the people from there, nice people absence by weirdos, scams around and relationships seekers, Double-edged swords in pros and cons, that you could enjoy the chat chilling, as well as share your profile critics, just slightly found the language exchange literally even they presents they can have other language spoken, and most of time the people are fake mind gamers!

ashr60
4/5/17

I read these reviews before I joined two years ago. Now I'm back, and can share experience.
-Yes, there are strange people.
-Yes, there are people who aren't who they say they are.
-Yes, you can have good conversations with people from other countries, and you CAN have good language exchange.
-DO NOT join expecting to be TAUGHT the language: you wouldn't sit there and teach someone English, I'm guessing, and no one is going to hold your hand through Japanese or French.

Always reach out to people, anyone you think you'd like to talk to; lots of them won't respond, but that's okay, because some will. Usually if you get ignored, it's for the best, and they would have turned out to be shallow or not speak your language.
When you get messaged, talk about what you have in common. Definitely get to know who you're talking to - it's fun! But don't give away information until you are comfortable - the right people will understand and be wary themselves.
If someone wants a relationship and you don't, make your intentions clear. They will either accept it, or they will move on.
No pressure. It isn't primarily a dating site, so don't go asking for significant others - many other members won't appreciate that.
You're just here for the ride, so make the best of it. Celebrate the friendships, but don't beat yourself up over the losses or the weird comments. If you feel threatened, you can always report, or you can leave.
If they publish personal information about you, it likely won't hurt you as much as you think - sure, it's embarrassing, but no one uses the site anyway, so the info won't get far.

Overall, my experience has been great. Just keep an open mind and don't take anything too seriously.

Have fun!

leoy4
3/9/17

This website called internal really sucks, you don't get to learn anything not even the language you want.... I spend on the internet trying to learn nothing from interpal!!!
Worst website of all!!! :(

ll579
2/25/17

- Fake profiles.
A lot of users impersonate others (they use pictures of not so popular emo boys, japanese rock musicians, body builders, instagram pretty boys/girls, etc..).
- Language exchange? No.
If you want to practice a language (other than english), this is not the right place. I joined to improve my japanese, but all of my conversations are in english.
- Female - male friendships? No.
Most people who send me messages start with complimenting my looks, calling me babe, sweetie etc. It's written on my profile that i'm only here for friends, but noone seems to care.
- Full of pedophiles.
It's full of fugly 50-70 years old men who try to pick up 20 years old girls. The best is when they use fake profiles and some girls fall for them.
- Boring conversations.
80% of people don't read profiles. They send simple ''hello'', ''how are you'' messages . I have nothing in common with these people, so after the small talk is over, they can't continue the conversation. There is just nothing to talk about.

davidb635
2/15/17

I've been there twice now, damn near got conned a bunch, some ladies keep referring to that site as a dating site, and it's anything but. Dealt with some rude as hell people on that site. Silver lining: I have met some nice, decent people on that site, and have actually spoken to them off of it on Viber and WhatsApp, just be diligent.

rossea
12/25/16

I joined interpals one month ago. I met friend there . His profile name Danilescott 45 yrs old from Switzerland. First sound like good person. But finaly he was not. I suspected the pictures of him on interpals are not him. This profile operated by someone who part of cyber crime. Because they will ask money and pretend to fall in love bla bla.
They connected to network crime as immigration officer etc . Please beware

shelaghm1
11/26/16

This review isnt so much about the site, but the people who are reviewing it here, Most of them seem to have little life experience and do not understand how to use the site properly. One is complaining she gets hit on by teenagers. Easy, choose your preferred age group. Similarly choose your countries/ continents/gender etc. This is all down to You, not the site. Yes, there are a lot of scammers. But anyone who gets taken by a scammer is asking for it, quite bluntly. Come on,, if someone has no profile, or one that is clearly fake, you just report it. Similarly if someone makes inappropriate sexual requests Doesn´t happen that much yo me, sadly, (lol) but it has! If someone offends you, report them, Simple. If the site mods think your complaint is valid they will remove the offender. And you will be saving more gullible peole from whingeing like here. How many times do we older ladies get business type god fearing widowers bravely bringing yp kids alone, or American generals in a war zone? None of which can even write in plain English. If someone tells you "Me New York businessman, me busy, busy" There´s a pretty good chance that he isnt! If "he" starts a message "with hello pretty" or I suspect for the younger ones "Babe" its a good bet he is some hairy arsed Nigerian in a cyber café somewhere. I have had to educate a few men along the way too, who have been approached by women that look like super models. Never give your email until you trust someone, be sceptical until they have proved their worth, in other words behave exactly as you would in Real Life. Chances are the person on the other end is just who they say they are. Just like people in the street. Some are bright, some aren´t, some are nice, some aren´t, some you start out liking but end up hating, others you are dubious about turn out to be great friends. This has nothing to do with the site or its users, it has to do with YOU. If you cant take that onboard, I am glad you arent using it, but please dont badmouth something for your own issues. There is too much of that in the world right now already. Take responsibility for your own actions. and try to learn from experience. .

ajs22
11/18/16

i joined interpals to make actual friends and i got were people who do not view you back, people who do not respond to your polite messages, people that read your message and don't reply, people that block you if you say 'hello' for no reason, people that say message them and that they want friends but view you and do not respond. It made me feel like i did something wrong or my picture of myself is ugly but it is not me at all. It is a rubbish site filled with wierdo's who have no real lives and people that are looking for likes on their fake, photoshop trashy pictures. Nobody from america is real btw, and the asian people show very eccentric pictures too. They are such rude people on that site, i won't be going back, to all people on it, you are sad losers.

claral16
9/26/16

I talked with a 20-24 year old guy from Hong Kong, he was good looking.
I was looking for friends only, but he always tried to flirt with me so i tried to talk to him less. He later confessed that he ''fall in love'' with me, and told me the truth: He was actually a 48 year old man. He even sent me his real picture.....
Well, after that i google search people's profile pictures.
Most of the good looking people are fake profiles. They use pictures of unpopular models, semi popular instagram users, etc Men usually download pictures from body builder forums, and pose as those guys.
It's so pathetic.

nafeesaha
8/14/16

I've been a long time user of Interpals and I found that a lot of the people who come here are not as real as they seem to be. I've had several pen pals who would get to writing and then out of the blue stop writing. OK I understand situations will come up where you may not write for a while, but have the courtesy to let the person know you can't write anymore because to stop writing altogether makes that person feel like they did something to cause a pen pal to not write. I had one from the Netherlands recently who just up and decided after a year and a half to terminate our friendship citing she had "choices" when the actual truth was that she didnt want to write me anymore and didnt have the decency to say so. I also learned what kind of people come to this site:

Attractive people-Most of them who come here are generally pretty shallow and don't want to talk to you unless you look like a model (both male and female)

Horny toads-These people seem to be interested in looking for someone they can have sex with which makes you wonder how Craigslist got to be so damn popular.

Desperate for marriage-You have ones from foreign lands who are desperate for wives and will take whatever they can get.

Racists-You have the ones who won't communicate with you unless you are white or other they assume someone who's black is from Africa and is looking for money, marriage, green card, or trying to scam someone. Not all black people are from Africa and are not looking to scam someone, desperate for marriage or looking for a green card.

I have a problem with how you got extremely younger men contacting older women who are 30+. Every other day I have views from guys who are like 18, 19, 20 years old and who look old enough to still be in high school. Mind you I am 41 years old and I am not interested in someone who's old enough to be my kid. I have had a hard time finding pen pals who will actually commit to writing back and won't waste my time by writing once or twice and then disappears. If you want to meet people on some BS this is where you need to come to if you're looking for serious pen pals honestly you should look elsewhere the choices arent exactly stellar if people are picky about ethnicities and many seem to want email pen pals which for me poses an issue I don't have time to sit on my computer typing endless emails I have a busy work and personal life. Also you have pals that are wanting people who will write extremely long letters 15+ page length letters and how much can you possibly say a letter longer than 8 pages? Not a whole lot and that's why I considered deleting my account because after 6 years of being on Interpals I found that the people there arent very nice and many of them have nasty attitudes and some don't even bother responding to you and even go as far as blocking you when you send them a message askng if they're interested in being pen pals you're not even harassing them just stupid petty stuff.

juliak42
6/25/16

I'm 22 y/o girl from Germany. I had many bad experiences with this website. My first bad experience was with man from California. He talked with me some months and had me fall in love then he just completely disappeared after he finds more beautiful woman. Then I have met a man from Florida and England around the same time. I liked them both but I favoured the English man a bit more so the Florida guy would get jealous and ignore me. After I discovered the British man lied to me about a lot of things I tried to become more serious with the Florida man but he did not trust me. He decided to talk to me for a few months anyway but we started to argue a lot because he wanted me to delete the Interpals because he knew I get thousands of messages a day. I would never delete it and we had bad argument so he decided to send out personal sex conversations and photos to my friends and family as revenge because he said I am a lying little sneak. I never have been so ashamed in my life. This website is full of terrible and cruel people. I cried for months then never returned ever.

zr12
6/25/16

A few months ago I created an account and the first thing I noticed was that I immediatly received tons of messages from teenage guys around my age, at first I thought it was cool beeing the naive teenage girl I am until they started calling me babe and stuff, I felt really uneasy and asked them to stop, most of these horny bastards got really pissed... The next day litteraly NOT ONE SINGLE guys I had talked to texted again, proof that all they wanted was some fun. I genuinely thought I was going to have a language exchange friend but it was not the case...

A few weeks later a japanese guy sent me a message, I was really happy because japanese was one of the languages I wanted to improve and he seemed really nice compared to everyone else. TOO nice... after a few days of conversations he asked for my Skype when I asked why he said it was to be able to ''learn easily'' I said no, he insisted and finally I gave in. He called me and honestly I was really scared but decided to ignore it. Strangely we really did work on my japanse skills and his french skills... Days went by and he would call almost everyday and instead of doing my homework we would chat, my grades started to get bad and I was getting in trouble for not doing my work. I still pretended that everything was okay. He had me wrapped around his finger, I was so passionated into listening to all he had to say about Japan. Weeks passed and he was starting to tell me that he'd like to date me or stuff like that, I was always rejecting him and my real life friends were warning me about him but I didn't listen to them and honestly I wish I did. After that I hadn't got any news of him in 2months, the day he texted me again he said he was busy this whole time, he then called and I had a bad feeling about it. I asked what had happen during those two months and he said that his grandfather died and blabla... Then out of nowhere he started telling me that I was pretty and that he liked me, he then said "It's hard" of course I'm not stupid I knew what he meant by that, that's when he stood up and started fidgeting his pants you can imagine what happened after I guess, luckily I had a pillow next to me and stuffed my face in it before seeing anything and I'm so glad... But I felt really bad, ashamed.. I decided to stop talking to him.

Fortunately I've had ONE good experience on this website, I met a girl from Korea who is one year younger than me and we became really really good friend, she was honestly the only person who I felt was as naive as me so I knew that she wasn't a bad person. We have been exchanging letters and package, she's now one of my best friends and we talk almost everyday ! We both decided to delete our InterPal account because she also had some bad experience with on old weird man...

So yeah I may have encounter a french girl obssesed pervert who lied about being 19 but was 24 in reality but I also met an awesome girl who is my best friend...

I STILL WON'T RECOMMEND THIS WEBSITE TO ANYONE !!

lynnp45
6/2/16

Beware - people can truly make up entirely false identities on sites like this, and there is no way to know if what they are saying to you about themselves is true or not. There is no way to know if that is really them in those profile photos, until they start trying to coerce you to "chat via skype" and then there's usually a purely sexual undertone to it... if that's all you care to find online, you will find it here, BUT if you are a decent, friendly person looking to make real friends - or wanting new friends for your KIDS to talk to, I wouldn't suggest this site at all...

Helpful answer

As someone who has ised Ipals for over 7 years and is older than most posters here appear to be, I can say that it has been very useful to me. I have met many people over the years, some have become true friends and visited others will only ever be online, but áras close to me as people in the Real world. Yes there have been scammers, loads of them, even my user name came from a message from a scammer after I reported him, but that is what you do, report them! If they Really are scammers the site removes them. You have to remember this is a Free site and all the moderators are volunteers, so they do the best that they can. Also I would suggest that a lot of the people complaining here are a little inexperienced and naive., you can hardly blame the site for that. If you keep your wits about you and respond to people as you would in life, you can meet some great people that you would never meet in the real world and learn an awful lot. Also, dont complain if someone doesnt respond to "Hello" Its hardly an inspiring openong line is it? I find that the more you tell in your profile the better the response, the same for a message. How the hell do you answer Hello, especially if the progile is one line or word in each box, other than with "Hello" back and that is the end of the conversation. Its a 2 way street, you have to put in too, you cant just whinge that everybody is a weirdo. That would suggest that it is you that are out of your depth and would maybe happier on youtube or twitter. Also, as someone else has written You control who contacts you, by your settings. Of course I have no idea what goes on in the younger branches of the site, I stick firmly to my own age group, as I have nothing to say to younger ones, anymore than they have anything to interest me, but I felt I need to defend what for me has overall been a very good place to communicate.

By Shelagh M. on 3/15/16
Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the InterPals.net staff and other customers.

InterPals.net?