Review of InterPals.net

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

dicks41
4/19/17

Interpals is not what it claims to be; a pen-pal site. Had an account there for a while but got really disppointed when I saw it's full of weirdos, scammers & boring narcissistic people. Most are quite ugly & far too lazy or arrogant to even write a profile. They certainly don't reply to anyone. So if you wish to waste your time trying to connect with morons who continually make ugly selfies because they're so dumb & have no real personality, please carry on. Your life will soon become as nondescript & meaningless as theirs. Good luck with that.

alicew70
4/19/17

I've been in Interpals.net for 8 years on and off, sadly the people from there, nice people absence by weirdos, scams around and relationships seekers, Double-edged swords in pros and cons, that you could enjoy the chat chilling, as well as share your profile critics, just slightly found the language exchange literally even they presents they can have other language spoken, and most of time the people are fake mind gamers!

ashr60
4/5/17

I read these reviews before I joined two years ago. Now I'm back, and can share experience.
-Yes, there are strange people.
-Yes, there are people who aren't who they say they are.
-Yes, you can have good conversations with people from other countries, and you CAN have good language exchange.
-DO NOT join expecting to be TAUGHT the language: you wouldn't sit there and teach someone English, I'm guessing, and no one is going to hold your hand through Japanese or French.

Always reach out to people, anyone you think you'd like to talk to; lots of them won't respond, but that's okay, because some will. Usually if you get ignored, it's for the best, and they would have turned out to be shallow or not speak your language.
When you get messaged, talk about what you have in common. Definitely get to know who you're talking to - it's fun! But don't give away information until you are comfortable - the right people will understand and be wary themselves.
If someone wants a relationship and you don't, make your intentions clear. They will either accept it, or they will move on.
No pressure. It isn't primarily a dating site, so don't go asking for significant others - many other members won't appreciate that.
You're just here for the ride, so make the best of it. Celebrate the friendships, but don't beat yourself up over the losses or the weird comments. If you feel threatened, you can always report, or you can leave.
If they publish personal information about you, it likely won't hurt you as much as you think - sure, it's embarrassing, but no one uses the site anyway, so the info won't get far.

Overall, my experience has been great. Just keep an open mind and don't take anything too seriously.

Have fun!

leoy4
3/9/17

This website called internal really sucks, you don't get to learn anything not even the language you want.... I spend on the internet trying to learn nothing from interpal!!!
Worst website of all!!! :(

ll579
2/25/17

- Fake profiles.
A lot of users impersonate others (they use pictures of not so popular emo boys, japanese rock musicians, body builders, instagram pretty boys/girls, etc..).
- Language exchange? No.
If you want to practice a language (other than english), this is not the right place. I joined to improve my japanese, but all of my conversations are in english.
- Female - male friendships? No.
Most people who send me messages start with complimenting my looks, calling me babe, sweetie etc. It's written on my profile that i'm only here for friends, but noone seems to care.
- Full of pedophiles.
It's full of fugly 50-70 years old men who try to pick up 20 years old girls. The best is when they use fake profiles and some girls fall for them.
- Boring conversations.
80% of people don't read profiles. They send simple ''hello'', ''how are you'' messages . I have nothing in common with these people, so after the small talk is over, they can't continue the conversation. There is just nothing to talk about.

davidb635
2/15/17

I've been there twice now, damn near got conned a bunch, some ladies keep referring to that site as a dating site, and it's anything but. Dealt with some rude as hell people on that site. Silver lining: I have met some nice, decent people on that site, and have actually spoken to them off of it on Viber and WhatsApp, just be diligent.

rossea
12/25/16

I joined interpals one month ago. I met friend there . His profile name Danilescott 45 yrs old from Switzerland. First sound like good person. But finaly he was not. I suspected the pictures of him on interpals are not him. This profile operated by someone who part of cyber crime. Because they will ask money and pretend to fall in love bla bla.
They connected to network crime as immigration officer etc . Please beware

shelaghm1
11/26/16

This review isnt so much about the site, but the people who are reviewing it here, Most of them seem to have little life experience and do not understand how to use the site properly. One is complaining she gets hit on by teenagers. Easy, choose your preferred age group. Similarly choose your countries/ continents/gender etc. This is all down to You, not the site. Yes, there are a lot of scammers. But anyone who gets taken by a scammer is asking for it, quite bluntly. Come on,, if someone has no profile, or one that is clearly fake, you just report it. Similarly if someone makes inappropriate sexual requests Doesn´t happen that much yo me, sadly, (lol) but it has! If someone offends you, report them, Simple. If the site mods think your complaint is valid they will remove the offender. And you will be saving more gullible peole from whingeing like here. How many times do we older ladies get business type god fearing widowers bravely bringing yp kids alone, or American generals in a war zone? None of which can even write in plain English. If someone tells you "Me New York businessman, me busy, busy" There´s a pretty good chance that he isnt! If "he" starts a message "with hello pretty" or I suspect for the younger ones "Babe" its a good bet he is some hairy arsed Nigerian in a cyber café somewhere. I have had to educate a few men along the way too, who have been approached by women that look like super models. Never give your email until you trust someone, be sceptical until they have proved their worth, in other words behave exactly as you would in Real Life. Chances are the person on the other end is just who they say they are. Just like people in the street. Some are bright, some aren´t, some are nice, some aren´t, some you start out liking but end up hating, others you are dubious about turn out to be great friends. This has nothing to do with the site or its users, it has to do with YOU. If you cant take that onboard, I am glad you arent using it, but please dont badmouth something for your own issues. There is too much of that in the world right now already. Take responsibility for your own actions. and try to learn from experience. .

ajs22
11/18/16

i joined interpals to make actual friends and i got were people who do not view you back, people who do not respond to your polite messages, people that read your message and don't reply, people that block you if you say 'hello' for no reason, people that say message them and that they want friends but view you and do not respond. It made me feel like i did something wrong or my picture of myself is ugly but it is not me at all. It is a rubbish site filled with wierdo's who have no real lives and people that are looking for likes on their fake, photoshop trashy pictures. Nobody from america is real btw, and the asian people show very eccentric pictures too. They are such rude people on that site, i won't be going back, to all people on it, you are sad losers.

claral16
9/26/16

I talked with a 20-24 year old guy from Hong Kong, he was good looking.
I was looking for friends only, but he always tried to flirt with me so i tried to talk to him less. He later confessed that he ''fall in love'' with me, and told me the truth: He was actually a 48 year old man. He even sent me his real picture.....
Well, after that i google search people's profile pictures.
Most of the good looking people are fake profiles. They use pictures of unpopular models, semi popular instagram users, etc Men usually download pictures from body builder forums, and pose as those guys.
It's so pathetic.

nafeesaha
8/14/16

I've been a long time user of Interpals and I found that a lot of the people who come here are not as real as they seem to be. I've had several pen pals who would get to writing and then out of the blue stop writing. OK I understand situations will come up where you may not write for a while, but have the courtesy to let the person know you can't write anymore because to stop writing altogether makes that person feel like they did something to cause a pen pal to not write. I had one from the Netherlands recently who just up and decided after a year and a half to terminate our friendship citing she had "choices" when the actual truth was that she didnt want to write me anymore and didnt have the decency to say so. I also learned what kind of people come to this site:

Attractive people-Most of them who come here are generally pretty shallow and don't want to talk to you unless you look like a model (both male and female)

Horny toads-These people seem to be interested in looking for someone they can have sex with which makes you wonder how Craigslist got to be so damn popular.

Desperate for marriage-You have ones from foreign lands who are desperate for wives and will take whatever they can get.

Racists-You have the ones who won't communicate with you unless you are white or other they assume someone who's black is from Africa and is looking for money, marriage, green card, or trying to scam someone. Not all black people are from Africa and are not looking to scam someone, desperate for marriage or looking for a green card.

I have a problem with how you got extremely younger men contacting older women who are 30+. Every other day I have views from guys who are like 18, 19, 20 years old and who look old enough to still be in high school. Mind you I am 41 years old and I am not interested in someone who's old enough to be my kid. I have had a hard time finding pen pals who will actually commit to writing back and won't waste my time by writing once or twice and then disappears. If you want to meet people on some BS this is where you need to come to if you're looking for serious pen pals honestly you should look elsewhere the choices arent exactly stellar if people are picky about ethnicities and many seem to want email pen pals which for me poses an issue I don't have time to sit on my computer typing endless emails I have a busy work and personal life. Also you have pals that are wanting people who will write extremely long letters 15+ page length letters and how much can you possibly say a letter longer than 8 pages? Not a whole lot and that's why I considered deleting my account because after 6 years of being on Interpals I found that the people there arent very nice and many of them have nasty attitudes and some don't even bother responding to you and even go as far as blocking you when you send them a message askng if they're interested in being pen pals you're not even harassing them just stupid petty stuff.

juliak42
6/25/16

I'm 22 y/o girl from Germany. I had many bad experiences with this website. My first bad experience was with man from California. He talked with me some months and had me fall in love then he just completely disappeared after he finds more beautiful woman. Then I have met a man from Florida and England around the same time. I liked them both but I favoured the English man a bit more so the Florida guy would get jealous and ignore me. After I discovered the British man lied to me about a lot of things I tried to become more serious with the Florida man but he did not trust me. He decided to talk to me for a few months anyway but we started to argue a lot because he wanted me to delete the Interpals because he knew I get thousands of messages a day. I would never delete it and we had bad argument so he decided to send out personal sex conversations and photos to my friends and family as revenge because he said I am a lying little sneak. I never have been so ashamed in my life. This website is full of terrible and cruel people. I cried for months then never returned ever.

zr12
6/25/16

A few months ago I created an account and the first thing I noticed was that I immediatly received tons of messages from teenage guys around my age, at first I thought it was cool beeing the naive teenage girl I am until they started calling me babe and stuff, I felt really uneasy and asked them to stop, most of these horny bastards got really pissed... The next day litteraly NOT ONE SINGLE guys I had talked to texted again, proof that all they wanted was some fun. I genuinely thought I was going to have a language exchange friend but it was not the case...

A few weeks later a japanese guy sent me a message, I was really happy because japanese was one of the languages I wanted to improve and he seemed really nice compared to everyone else. TOO nice... after a few days of conversations he asked for my Skype when I asked why he said it was to be able to ''learn easily'' I said no, he insisted and finally I gave in. He called me and honestly I was really scared but decided to ignore it. Strangely we really did work on my japanse skills and his french skills... Days went by and he would call almost everyday and instead of doing my homework we would chat, my grades started to get bad and I was getting in trouble for not doing my work. I still pretended that everything was okay. He had me wrapped around his finger, I was so passionated into listening to all he had to say about Japan. Weeks passed and he was starting to tell me that he'd like to date me or stuff like that, I was always rejecting him and my real life friends were warning me about him but I didn't listen to them and honestly I wish I did. After that I hadn't got any news of him in 2months, the day he texted me again he said he was busy this whole time, he then called and I had a bad feeling about it. I asked what had happen during those two months and he said that his grandfather died and blabla... Then out of nowhere he started telling me that I was pretty and that he liked me, he then said "It's hard" of course I'm not stupid I knew what he meant by that, that's when he stood up and started fidgeting his pants you can imagine what happened after I guess, luckily I had a pillow next to me and stuffed my face in it before seeing anything and I'm so glad... But I felt really bad, ashamed.. I decided to stop talking to him.

Fortunately I've had ONE good experience on this website, I met a girl from Korea who is one year younger than me and we became really really good friend, she was honestly the only person who I felt was as naive as me so I knew that she wasn't a bad person. We have been exchanging letters and package, she's now one of my best friends and we talk almost everyday ! We both decided to delete our InterPal account because she also had some bad experience with on old weird man...

So yeah I may have encounter a french girl obssesed pervert who lied about being 19 but was 24 in reality but I also met an awesome girl who is my best friend...

I STILL WON'T RECOMMEND THIS WEBSITE TO ANYONE !!

lynnp45
6/2/16

Beware - people can truly make up entirely false identities on sites like this, and there is no way to know if what they are saying to you about themselves is true or not. There is no way to know if that is really them in those profile photos, until they start trying to coerce you to "chat via skype" and then there's usually a purely sexual undertone to it... if that's all you care to find online, you will find it here, BUT if you are a decent, friendly person looking to make real friends - or wanting new friends for your KIDS to talk to, I wouldn't suggest this site at all...

lianar
5/13/16

I've just joined recently and so far I've met a few nice and interesting people. There have been a few people that are flirtatious but when I told them I wasn't interested and joined for a penpal, they were very respectful and understood. Of course I'm not going to say there aren't any bad people on the site but that's pretty expected from any social media of any type. Overall I like the website so far but I wish the website was a bit more proactive about taking inappropriate users off.

aliat
4/24/16

What sort of a website is this. You dont seem to be talking to anyone, its just a sentence that you send as a msg, and when the other person, gets it, he reads it and thats it, there is no answer, no understanding of politeness, and is causing people to get hurt, and for what reason? it is idiot website.
Even the ant with its small mind, can communicate better than talking on this interpals, Its like talking to brick wall, get rid of it, believe me, impoliteness, rudeness, is not nice, who wants to get hurt.and get ignored, if you want to meet people, meet them while talking to them face to face, because you can tell a lot about them that way.

torrim
4/14/16

This website used to be a lot better (2005-2006) until they introduced the "facebook" like features - tons of photos can be added, updating statuses, etc. . .Takes away from good quality friendship. The only thing that people on this site are looking for is for someone to stroke his/her ego by uploading tons of photos and getting people to "like" or "comment" on them. No one is looking for serious friendships at all.

I have encountered a lot of mean and cruel people on this site, too, many of who are racist, close-minded,etc... Especially those from Asian and European cultures. I have yet to meet a quality person on this site at all. It sucks that there aren't any other penpal sites out there, too!

I would not recommend this site to a mortal enemy!

dd143
4/9/16

This guy Sharkfisherfla1 is a serial pervert, he is married with child, but has hundreds of young girls he takes dirty to.
Just an update, I've had many messages from others who have simular experiences, please contact me and we can share this creeps activities
This guy is actually mid 40'S
Take a look at some of his other fake profiles and differing ages

www.wireclub.com%2Fusers%2Fshark_fisher_fla

sumis
3/26/16

Even though I've been on this website for about a year. The people are not nice and can be mean. Also there are a lot of perverts in this website. I don't recommend this websites if you want to find friends or anything else. My life was completely ruined when I joined Interpals.net.

bryand37
3/11/16

I have used interpals for a while now and found many pages to be fake there's a page of https://www.interpals.net/dGUMBALL

This shows photographs of a German male Model know as Marc Shuzle, he has all told a massive following on Instagram and is a sensation in the model industry.

I contacted interpals and alerted them that a person who shows is from Spain is using such photographs - I find it truly appalling that interpals don't act by taking such pages down. People are being conned everyday and being tricked by such pages but yet interpals clearly shows a blatant disregard to protect there members

Please be vigilant and don't always believe everything you see on that site

SHAME ON INTERPALS

hazelk12
2/5/16

Don't trust any of the people you meet from this site without carefully review their ID to match themselves, that means, if they want to chat, make sure you are chatting with someone that is a totally honest person. Most of people are scammers here. Please be aware!
If you feel something fishy, trust your gut and go with your instinct, don't question yourself to see if you were wrong, you rather trust yourself than some strangers, you never know who is hidden behind the computer.
People with goodwills need to be protected and protect themselves, especially protect all the money you have earned with your hard work, lock it and keep it in your bank account, never offer any to someone you have met on the internet, be as realistic as you can be. Warn your friends. They are scammers!

miyokah
12/22/15

I've been on Intervals for years! Not consistently, but I still get on every now and then. I even have became friends with a guy on the site. We have been friends for about 6 years and nothing romantic, he is married and she is very lovely. We mostly talk about life and he has helped me a lot with speaking Korean. So, overall you win some and you lose some. After, weeding out the perverts, its not so bad.

spencers15
12/21/15

I joined Interpals about a week and a half ago in hopes of expanding my friendbase online, to try and connect with people who were around my age. Within the first 24 hours I was impressed. I was talking to many people who I thought were interesting, and seemed to know how to keep a conversation going, as well as not being offended with every little thing you say.

That being said, there's A LOT of people who don't speak English as their first language. Meaning you may be left at a disadvantage if you don't wish to write in broken English. It's not a problem for myself as for the most part I can understand what they're trying to say, and it's not their fault. They're the ones who want to improve speaking the language.

I don't know if it's just me, but when I have a conversation with someone, it goes something like this:

"Hey, how are you?"
"Good."
*crickets*

How can a conversation keep going on if you don't bother to ask how I'm doing??? And then there's people who keep replying with "haha" ":)" or something else and I'm sitting here going "Why am I wasting my time?". But I guess that goes for any site.

Other than that, it's not a bad site to use - just don't expect a lot of people from North America to be on there. For the most part, they're from Europe, Asia, or Africa so the time difference can be very tough.

It's not the worst, but not the best. If you want to kill some time, join the site. Don't expect any lifelong friendships to come from here though. I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

iwonam1
11/18/15

I have a very bad experience with a website Interpals, because I meet a man there who turn out to be a crook who extort from me a large sum of money. He uses a false name Ethan Carter, and he uses a fake pictures and identities. I am a cautionary to online acquaintance but unfortunately and I caught his vile intrigue.
I know that HE unfortunately feels unpunished, and he continues to deceive the other girls, and I feel helpless on his inhumane behavior.
That's why I decided to write here to warn other women.
He also still uses the name of Ethan Carter, and he often uses the application hangus,gimail, and he is forwarding phone number.
His name is Ethan Carter, but it can also he have the other names.

Therefore, I give a few details:
He invents a story about a sick father, who came from Canada to Ireland and must have diligently operations, where it refers to hospital HSE in Galway, and he gives an account hospital, obviously false account, but this account is registered in Dublin. I think that this may be a larger organized group because to call me fake nurses and secretaries from the hospital, a colleague. He also uses a false meile HSE hospitals in Ireland, family, friends, his work.
It all was my huge nightmare. I was blinded ,, his false misery ,,and he is the absolute way to use my empathy for the human misery.
The worst of he still hurts and steal other girls, and I have a lot of tears and a lot of debt money....

anonymousa45
11/2/15

i was on interpals for a while now i deleted the account after two months then i kept some people in contact who i messaged for 6 months and a half. all i experienced was lust feelings and mind games and lies to have a girl hopes up when no one stays. its just for Skype and whatsapp to waste time and have a good laugh of it. not for serious person who wants to be commitment for it to be real. , i learned that nothing really beats real friends in real life..compared to friends you'll meet online..you never no when they'd change their mind and you'll never know who they really are. This website does not have people with substance on it, because they leave when they see it s full of rubbish. Apart from the scammers any normal people, are bit weird and maybe quite sad- social rejects of society.That s why they resort to these online websites. They re also quite rude and lack humor. No one fun- just weird people. Good luck for all who wants to see how it goes, just be extra careful and know the person well for a long period time not just months test it.. also don't catch feelings or suffer with the hurts from someone you don't know. I hope anyone of you find a penpal site that is suitable for you! :-) Although, i wouldn't recommended at all.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the InterPals.net staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
angelal51
Angela L.
on 3/15/16
Answer
shelaghm1
Shelagh M.
A: As someone who has ised Ipals for over 7 years and is older than most posters here appear to be, I can say that it has been very useful to me. I have met many people over the years, some have become true friends and visited others will only ever be online, but áras close to me as people in the Real world. Yes there have been scammers, loads of them, even my user name came from a message from a scammer after I reported him, but that is what you do, report them! If they Really are scammers the site removes them. You have to remember this is a Free site and all the moderators are volunteers, so they do the best that they can. Also I would suggest that a lot of the people complaining here are a little inexperienced and naive., you can hardly blame the site for that. If you keep your wits about you and respond to people as you would in life, you can meet some great people that you would never meet in the real world and learn an awful lot. Also, dont complain if someone doesnt respond to "Hello" Its hardly an inspiring openong line is it? I find that the more you tell in your profile the better the response, the same for a message. How the hell do you answer Hello, especially if the progile is one line or word in each box, other than with "Hello" back and that is the end of the conversation. Its a 2 way street, you have to put in too, you cant just whinge that everybody is a weirdo. That would suggest that it is you that are out of your depth and would maybe happier on youtube or twitter. Also, as someone else has written You control who contacts you, by your settings. Of course I have no idea what goes on in the younger branches of the site, I stick firmly to my own age group, as I have nothing to say to younger ones, anymore than they have anything to interest me, but I felt I need to defend what for me has overall been a very good place to communicate.
on 11/26/16
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the InterPals.net staff and other customers.

InterPals.net?