InterPals.net

InterPals.net has a consumer rating of 1.72 stars from 114 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about InterPals.net most frequently mention fake profiles, language exchange and real life problems. InterPals.net ranks 120th among Forum sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 13.3%

No positive highlights yet

• I was looking to meet people from around the world and not to hop in the sack with these random guys.
  • This site is not a Penpal site, it's a sex site and their moderation team does no moderation unless it suits them.
How would you rate InterPals.net?

“Helpful to find like-minded persons”

Sarah B.
1/23/21

You can find persons international and search for them based on filters, for example for those who have an interest in language exchange. Notifications are shown in a rather subtle way; i do not feel annoyed by them. Others can see that you clicked on their message and you are not able to remove sent messages from the account of other persons. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago, i received many scam writings over time, while it current is not the case anymore for me. For some strange reason you are not able to register without typing information like gender or location anymore. I have found some online long-term friends there

“Wierd scam site”

spike s.
11/17/20

I came on, thinking it was one of those kinda DIY communities. It's not only weird but creepy, and the users are 1 liner conversationalists. They treat it like its some kind of dating site/hookup site/instagram/facebook. Very few if any are legit or real, it feels like they have workers who respond to your messages. Stay away, don't get on here its a front for a scam site I can feel it.

people (69) penpal site (11) language exchange (9) friends (49) lot (29) profile (43) time (42) account (30) 6 years (3) sites (14) someone (17) messages (31)
spikes1
November 17th, 2020

I came on, thinking it was one of those kinda DIY communities.

Stay away, don't get on here its a front for a scam site I can feel it.

dianea474
January 18th, 2021

I've been rude lately to guys who often talks about sex and perverted stuff, as well as guys who talks as if they know it all. Well, now they won coz interpals suspended my account. Interpals doesn't seem to review the reports. They just base it on the number of reporters. That's how it seems to me or maybe they do review them but just side with the men.

Tip for consumers:
Like any other app, there are trolls and perverts.

francescog24
June 19th, 2020

I used this site for a long time and I didn't get long term friendships. I found a lot of rude people and many of them were not interested in a language exchange. I also received some messages from perverts and fake profiles, and I blocked them. Young people only want to get new followers on social networks (they reach you on Instagram, then they disappear after a short time). Others try to find new "friends", since they're bored. It's difficult to keep friendships, so don't trust in people which claims the opposite. I didn't get my profile suspended by moderators. Despite this, it's a free website, since you don't have to pay for it.

sarahb1577
January 23rd, 2021

yokol1
March 15th, 2020

Where they find them? While I reported 2 cases of "white " Nigerian girls, which my experience tells me they are definitely scammers I got the following message from interpals board.

Your account has been flagged for abusing the "Report to Moderator" system with excessive, frivolous or unfounded reports.

This is a violation of the Terms of Service. Please note that this is a warning and any further misconduct could result in the deletion of your account.

InterPals Staff

So if my assumption is unfounded you tell the first rogue user created it's account minutes before while the second had it for 11 hours.
That takes me to the assumption that interpals favors or it's part of the scam. Hence the variety of pictures scammers possess.

Take a hike from here.

non601
February 10th, 2021

Joined when I was around 18 [23 now from the UK] and was almost scammed to the point of sextortion. Absolutely disgraceful. Honestly the amount of times I was asked to webcam and my computer (thank god I'm a tech nerd) told me they were recording my screen. I'm so glad that I was that scared to leave at the time; but it's taken this long to actually write something about this.
Seriously, don't sign up to this site.
It's full of sickos.
I'd rate it 0 but I don't have a choice

Don't.

apanr
February 19th, 2020

I tried finding some penpals here, but the site is mainly full of perverts, Nazi people, rude people or people with a general IQ of about 80 at its best. There are better penpal sites out there, don't waste your precious time on this virtual sewer.

andream633
September 3rd, 2020

I've been on Interpals from 02/2014 until 01/2017. I agree that there are too many scammers around, with stolen profile pictures, and every new request must be treated with utmust care. On the other hand, the first contact I made was an English fire guy, we were friends from day one, moved on to Skype after 2 weeks, visits followed and recently we had our first wedding anniversary. I left interpals then due to lack of time, but I am still in contact with 3 good friends from Sweden, Ukraine and the Netherlands. So it worked for us and there is no regret at all that we both signed up there.

ayc
December 8th, 2019

Today my account which I have had for years and contains the entire chat I first had with my girlfriend (we met on interpals) has been suspended completely without warning. I was just chatting to people and boom logged out then cant log in because it is suspended.

As other people said, the site is full of scammers and perverts. I had no idea mods even existed because they do nothing about it until I randomly got suspended.

zacharyr114
February 21st, 2021

I used this site to find new friends but what I found was my information like name, address etc. being leaked on the dark web. I know this because I have Norton360 with Lifelock. Do not trust this website with anything!

Tip for consumers:
Don't put any personal information on this site

rosya1
Rosy A.
February 28th, 2018

Interpals was ok as founded a good penpal. Stopped writing as she was too busy for me

Now its full on scammers, fake profiles and want people to learn English etc.....Also want more details e.g. current and past city, material status, education and what type of pen pal.

Its on top of google as they paid google, money (pay by click on the advert banner)

didigoa
May 3rd, 2020

And It's because users not the Tool. Even if there is making it 100% CLEAR (Language-Exchange) a lot of people complain that they have to teach someone or if someone ask about their Language. A lot of Women 3/10 (80% off All Women there) who have Mediocre Lifes are looking for attention and validation. Is very common take a look in some female profiles: "If you start with a "hi?" or "how are you?" i will not reply." reveals a very high and pathetic level of narcissism coming from (many cases) depressed people who can barely get out of their houses. They use to say "this is not a Dating Site!" but if you are a Good Looking Man... it's Okay (Lol) they accept your Flirt and Flirt Back! Of course if you are a random person and do the same, will be a "Creepy Behaviour". Women use Interpals for Ego-Boost. This site made me believe in something never before thought: I discovered that inhabitants of First World Countries are totally dumb, idiots with IQ of 50 unable to maintain a basic conversation. Men there are most of them needy and desperate for female attention and sexual attention, many are sexual perverts who want virtual sex. Others are Scammers and want $$$ using Fake Photos and Fake Profiles. To be totally fair: I met a few nice (and Real) people there. In short it's (or should be) a website to Learn Languages/PenPals but unfortunately it was invaded by Losers.

lilyt53
February 1st, 2021

Like almost everyone else I'm bored and stuck in lockdown, so I thought I'd supplement my social activity by signing up to IP. This isn't my first rodeo, I've been here before but in the early 2000's-2010's it was far more active then. I'm surprised that there aren't more users given the pandemic! As per usual though, there are tons of fake users to drown any real people out. That's always been a problem here. They've made some small changes, you're now unable to view profiles and search members without logging in and being a member of the site. I prefer the old way because it at least let me see beforehand if anyone was even online! It has a fresh looking log in/sign up page, but that's it, they haven't modernized any other part of the site and it's not mobile friendly which is ridiculous in this day and age. I am a woman, so I locked in my restrictions for women only, of any age. For some reason my account is still visible/searchable by men? Likewise, I can view accounts of women who have restricted me from contacting them due to my age or my being female. Why not filter these out? If I can't contact the person I shouldn't be able to see their profile, it's a complete waste of time sifting through all of them, and sift you will, because if you're not 17 or the "smoking hot foreign man" of their dreams, you're unlikely to find another female to correspond with. And no, I'm not from some kind of questionable country, I live in Canada, so that's not throwing people off of my account. I've visited several real accounts (at least I think they're real), none of them visited my account in return. I'm an average, inoffensive looking woman, the only way you'd know if we socially click is by actually viewing my profile, and yet after being online for 48 hours straight on a weekend, only one woman viewed my page. I wrote her an intro and an ice breaker but she's not been on for a day, and judging by the complete lack of activity on the site, I tend to wonder if she'll even bother coming back. I'm sad because I really wanted to connect, if only on a casual basis with someone but there's no one really actively looking on this site. At peak hours there are 6000 users online, 3000 of which are female, off peak (which tends to be night in North America) there are maybe 3000 online users, only 1000 of which are female. Filter out restricted and spam accounts and that's probably 500-1500 women, world wide, buried underneath it all, that you could maybe converse with if you're lucky enough to find them and they're not totally lazy. Ironically, many of the women online actually describe themselves as being lazy, misanthropic, or don't like to talk much(?!) avoid these like the plague, or better yet, just skip the site entirely!

Tip for consumers:
Be patient or don't bother! Make sure you fill out your entire profile and look at other people's profiles, don't expect them to come to you!

meha2
July 26th, 2020

This site is not a Penpal site, it's a sex site and their moderation team does no moderation unless it suits them. Girls are flashing their body parts especially while covering their face with their phone too while saying "not interested in flirting", linking just their Instagram to try and leech followers, guys and old men hit on minors and inappropriate pictures are on this website and the moderation team does nothing about it even if they're reported.

This website should be reported to the police or some other law enforcement since it's tons of nudity, inappropriate photos, inappropriate flirting and this site welcomes minors of 13+, and even they are exposed to this flirting by 20-60 old men.

herol4
January 10th, 2020

Lonely wankers and $#*!s if real at all.
Every day sex offers from agencies, $#*!s with desire to show $#*!ing $#*! on cam.
Nothin mo than dat.

krisb125
December 17th, 2019

My account was suspended after I refused to skype with this random man. The Moderator suspended my account after this random guy demanded me to skype with him for sexual purposes of course. I sent them a message and they said that they would review my account. Is this site run my perverts? I was looking to meet people from around the world and not to hop in the sack with these random guys. My question is why did this website Moderator listen to this pervert to suspend my account? I'm looking to expose them for the kind of website they are.

alis189
September 15th, 2020

Many scammers and racist site, many scammers and you can not report them because admin will threat you
Many scammers ask for money and your pics, you cant leave the site just after one week

rossea
December 25th, 2016

I joined interpals one month ago. I met friend there. His profile name Danilescott 45 yrs old from Switzerland. First sound like good person. But finaly he was not. I suspected the pictures of him on interpals are not him. This profile operated by someone who part of cyber crime. Because they will ask money and pretend to fall in love bla bla.
They connected to network crime as immigration officer etc. Please beware

marcusn41
June 20th, 2020

In a short story this website should be shut down.

I found a fake profile that looked familiar and after checking where I recognised it from, I was right and it was a famous girl Youtuber/streamer. Reported the profile and even linked to real person's Instagram including the pictures that were stolen. Nothing was done.

I found a profile of a girl that only has cleavage pictures, or pictures of herself in short skirts, and in one picture where she was showing her hair you could see her ass and thong. Reported her profile picture where you could only see 5% of her face (part of her eye, and lips and that's about it) and rest of the picture was of her boobs, and the picture was taken from above so it was straight down focused on her boobs. I reported this and Interpals moderation team said there's nothing wrong with the photo (5% face and rest boobs on a website with 13 year olds), and issued several warnings on my account for having flirted with someone which was happening both ways, so they just issued me warnings instead for something which both people consented to, was in the past, and was not reported.

lindao60
April 29th, 2017

I have been on InterPals for years. I have met many good friends American and international. It is not a good dating or language learning site but if you are just looking for casual friends to swap life experiences, it fits the bill. The trick is in the filters, be specific about the age, gender and countries you will accept. Block anyone you don't want or are suspicious of. Go to a real dating site if you want romance.

tomm565
August 6th, 2018

I have been on this site for over 12 years this time around. It has always been a good site for learning and helping with languages. This site went down hill when they added flirting. After that every pervert in the world comes to this site and some try to say they are from countries they are not from to scam people. Most of us are wise to these African scammers and get them shut down real fast only to have them come back again claiming they are someone else. It's more of a game than anything else. There are still good people on here that want to learn languages but it's not the same. Years ago people didn't use age designations for who they wanted to learn from as long as they were learning from a native speaker. Now I think there are other agendas for many people rather than language learning. Oh well, such is life and life goes on.

ma216
January 2nd, 2020

It's a site based on perverts and corrupt moderation staff. Guys use it to play girls and get nudes photos or video chatting and upload half naked photos (not appropriate for a penpal site which 12-13 year olds can use), girls use it to post half nudes or trash guys. A lot of the girls are fake accounts, people are full of themselves claiming to know who's a fake account and therefore blocking all new accounts. Arabs, etc, are spamming all girls looking for wives, and so on. Moderation team don't deal with half naked girls, but suspend those reporting them instead.

I reported a fake account for using an inappropriate photo, a photo of a girl pulling down her top to reveal more of her cleavage, and the moderators took it away. The person uploaded the same photo later on, it got removed again. When it was uploaded a third time and I reported it the moderators put a warning on my account for "abusing the report system" and warned that they might terminate my acccount if I do it again, and didn't remove the photo that was against their rules the 2 previous times.

dania29
June 26th, 2020

Since 2018 I had been an Interpals user on and off until 2020. It goes into many directions and mixes it all up which is a big part of why the "date seekers" get mixed up with the penpal and language exchange people. Many people are commenting it's not a dating site - but it has that options in the profiles, though their site name is misleading. People have the option for seeking: relationships (yes it's on there), flirting only, friendship online, penpals, snail mail penpals and language exchange. As many people have said in their reviews, people on Interpals do not read profiles! Which is why people seeking marriage/relationships bother people looking for friends or language exchange. The name of their site indicates penpals (friendship) so they should just stick to that and get rid of the flirting and relationship seeking options.

There's scammers everywhere including here. Some I had developed a friendship with told me about several scammers on there who bothered them but all sites have them. If you dare to use the site even after all the warnings here and on other review sites, just be vigilant. People that post only "model" type photos and have a very generic profile tend to be fake or people who like to troll. Put your wall to private if you don't want creepy men and women leaving comments that inappropriate or links to questionable outside sites.

Like any site, the quality of people vary, but for the most part, this site seems to attract a lot of narcissists, hypocrites and people that seem to have quite a few skeletons in their closets going by their secretiveness on their end but wanting to know everything about you (red flags!). We all have our preferences in conversations but considering a majority of people say the same thing: people don't seem to reply - it makes me wonder why so many people on that website who are fairly new claim to get "100s of messages" each day or week so write more than a basic "hello" or "how are you" because it's "not creative enough" for them want to write you. They think very highly of themselves that they are so special compared to everyone else, a hello is offensive and not good enough. The hypocrites come in when they claim they are looking only for friendship or language exchange and will write anyone if they write but only respond to men/women who look like models or are under 30. Didn't realize people can only be "friends" with or "learn a language" from models. Clearly they are looking for more than this. If you write "NOT seeking a relationship" in the request section and don't select the relationship/flirting option, people will still write you and after a few exchanges ask for your number or social media name or flirt with you and when you tell the person you don't want to because you have someone or just not interested, they get angry or they stop talking with you because they wanted more. Really, don't waste a lot of time writing a long profile, it more than likely won't get read, people go off your photo only and age. Also, people that claim to drop them a line, they write anyone back and their account is active - most of them lie and again, if you're not young and beautiful they won't write back. There's also a lot of people on there that see if someone has a married status will purposely try to flirt and get sexual exchanges of various types with those people just for fun. Some people appear to be nice and after talking will start to ask to send naked photos and when you say no thanks, they say ok and start to talk about it anyway and sometimes even send them after you say no or tell them you have a relationship. So if you're in a relationship and using this not to cheat but just talks and language, beware of giving out social media messengers or whatsapp numbers because photos may be sent to you that could strain your relationship. People are just obnoxious.

I never reported anyone on there because I just blocked people, but so many people on many review sites say if you report anyone for lying in their profiles or being inappropriate, they person reporting gets blocked. So if someone is saying they use the site for language but is seeking a relationship and harassing you, report them and you can end up being suspended or warned for reporting. Meanwhile that person gets to go on bothering people. If you allow everyone to message you be prepared to get a lot of flirting messages, marriage proposals and inappropriate comments from people from certain areas and I don't write that to be prejudice or racist no matter what anyone thinks, I've experiences and so have other people (both men and women). Of course not everyone from these areas are like that, but too many scammer messages or rude comments are left from there. And if you you block certain countries because of this, you have the people who will say you're a bad person and discriminate and won't talk to you. Also, hate speech is not allowed yet there is a ton of neo-nazis on that website and promote their ideology and their profiles are never taken down. That right there should say everything about their site. The site is just a mess!

This covers about everything from my personal experiences and other friends of mine. If you're looking for a language exchange sites, there are several other really good ones what are strictly for that, they don't use profile photos because they realize it doesn't matter if that's what you're reallying seeking. Less scammers use those sites and their admins don't punish the victim of hate or harassment, they deal with the person causing it.

I wouldn't touch that site again with a 10-foot pole. Enter at your own risk. You've been warned!

tj122
November 21st, 2019

This is such a dreadful web site. It's mostly full of scammers and very narcissistic women who can't be bothered to write any profile at all, but still manage to post really boring, quite duff photos of themselves.
The people who run the site heavily pamper to these scammers as they're desperate for any content at all. Yet they steadfastly refuse to respond to most complaints or even remove the dodgy comments sent in or posted by creepy users. Many users struggle to reach an average IQ of 20, so don't expect a riveting conversation from them, that's if they even bother to reply to anyone's messages. These women's looks rate about 2 out of 10, they express unbelievable ignorance and massive prejudices like racism and ageism in very poorly written profiles. Their BS narratives often close by asking viewers not to keep pestering them (as if, they'd be so lucky!). Clearly full of catfish, immature dumbo children who want to be / think they're all beautiful bimbos. Avoid it like the plague if you've got any brains.

andreap283
September 22nd, 2019

Interpals is a total waste of your time. If you hope to correspond with halfway intelligent people, or even practice a foreign language, this is not the right site for you. You will get hit up for money and/or sex again and again. Moreover, the moderators that are currently employed are nasty, unprofessional people. They respond to valid concerns with abuse and threats. Interpals could be a good site with better management and control.

No one of these conditions were available to me because I didn't receive any advice concerning spamming or anything else like that and they année me only after 3 days signing up :(

By Keryl M.
See more answers (4)

As someone who has ised Ipals for over 7 years and is older than most posters here appear to be, I can say that it has been very useful to me. I have met many people over the years, some have become true friends and visited others will only ever be online, but áras close to me as people in the Real world. Yes there have been scammers, loads of them, even my user name came from a message from a scammer after I reported him, but that is what you do, report them! If they Really are scammers the site removes them. You have to remember this is a Free site and all the moderators are volunteers, so they do the best that they can. Also I would suggest that a lot of the people complaining here are a little inexperienced and naive., you can hardly blame the site for that. If you keep your wits about you and respond to people as you would in life, you can meet some great people that you would never meet in the real world and learn an awful lot. Also, dont complain if someone doesnt respond to "Hello" Its hardly an inspiring openong line is it? I find that the more you tell in your profile the better the response, the same for a message. How the hell do you answer Hello, especially if the progile is one line or word in each box, other than with "Hello" back and that is the end of the conversation. Its a 2 way street, you have to put in too, you cant just whinge that everybody is a weirdo. That would suggest that it is you that are out of your depth and would maybe happier on youtube or twitter. Also, as someone else has written You control who contacts you, by your settings. Of course I have no idea what goes on in the younger branches of the site, I stick firmly to my own age group, as I have nothing to say to younger ones, anymore than they have anything to interest me, but I felt I need to defend what for me has overall been a very good place to communicate.

By Shelagh M.
See more answers (3)

You are not alone... a bunch of incompetent mods are there who are highly biased. This is while women have been given free hand to misuse "Report" button. If you don't agree with them you get a ban/flag!

By Rocky S.

9.% of those wearing a uniform in their profile pictures are scammers and fake profiles.

By Tom M.

Please be more specific about the nature of your issue. There's any number of reasons why this could be the case.

Okay. That happens sometimes

By Alexis P.

Other people can only see your messages on Interpals if they know your password. So don't give people your password and it'll be fine.

By Alexis P.

I'm not really sure. Interpals' search system has always been somewhat temperamental and kinda like a genie in the sense that you always have to make sure you've done everything just right to make sure it gives you what you want.

By Alexis P.

Hi, first usual suspects when one is being blocked/prevented from navigating onto a site can include, double check with your (internet service provider) ISP; whomever the company is that you rely upon to get online. Generally speaking, both in earlier times and still, tho nearly as common present day, so still, (a) company=ISP that is offering net access is the owner of their servers. Accordingly, again, as a general rule, As the providers, operators and owners of the servers, they customize whatever settings and the parameters therein, as they like. Other, out of the gate reasons one can be prevented, blocked, from visiting a site, 1 of the most common and still seen on a rare occasion (more so present day) may likely have something to do with the websites international laws versus some end users state, country location. Additional typical reasons, further, can be anything from a glitch? A tech error? To an oversight, say, if somewhere within the fine print there might be a proof of age needed, matter to any number of things that may also be easy to over look? To be altogether, unaware of readily. Depending on the type of website it is has the potential to cause such an issue. For example, age restrictions? (thus, there might be some documentation somewhere within the pre-intro page And mentioned in say, the fine print, so to speak. Also, the issue could have something to do with 1 or more unknown issues for the end users part e.g. unknown software issue(s) that say, may be running in the background and possibly causing the problem. Possible RESOLVES(?) Best place to start troubleshooting the mystery is definitively, to call your ISP (to include an affirmative suggestion to insist on speaking with someone in upper management (manager? Supervisor? Systems operator(s)?) and not say, first point of contact staff.

By jen a.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the InterPals.net staff and other customers.

InterPals is a friendly community of over 5 million friends, language learners, travelers and penpals. Use InterPals to meet people and travelers from other countries, practice languages with native speakers, make new friends and make your wo...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about InterPals.net?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.7
Have a question about InterPals.net?