Review of InterPals.net

White Plains, NY 10606, US
Tel: 4853123904067

lizs137
9/20/18

There are two types of people who frequent this site.
Those who are genuine about exchange language and interacting with people in an honest way, and those who prey on those with good intentions.

The latter unfortunately, make up the majority of users on interpals. The genuine people quickly get driven away by nuisance messages from people who want to 'be friends' but cannot even be bothered reading a profile to get to know a person, scammers, people who want a free english tuitor and those who want a free peep show or an internet fling because they lack the social skills and/or personality to be able to go out into the world and form meaningful real relationships...or they want a meal ticket into your country by way of 'falling in love with you' after a three sentence exchange (does this method ever fool anyone? really?)
Also there are those that use this social platform to advertise how physically beautiful they are.
Enjoy it while it lasts, because once that fades, you'll have nothing. And fade, it will.
If you value your time and you're a good person, stay away from this site. It is pure unadulterated garbage that attracts and retains filth.

imperrrp
9/8/18

Everywhere perverts and idiots who making disrespect to country. Mostly Chinese and Korean people are idiots. You can write to them and anyway they will not answer or answer with angry. Even if you will write like 300 lines before hello that's doesn't matters. But if you say only Hi you can already forgot about conversation. This site sucks.

alisar13
9/1/18

I have never seen so many angry and violent people on one site. I was shocked by the aggression of people when they figured out that I don't want to have any sexual relationships. I just wanted to speak with a German native speaker for practice, but I got threatened and abused instead. And I haven't spoke German, because there are only a few German-speaking persons there! If you want to practice any foreign language don't go there, that's a scrap-heap.

tomm565
8/6/18

I have been on this site for over 12 years this time around. It has always been a good site for learning and helping with languages. This site went down hill when they added flirting. After that every pervert in the world comes to this site and some try to say they are from countries they are not from to scam people. Most of us are wise to these African scammers and get them shut down real fast only to have them come back again claiming they are someone else. It's more of a game than anything else. There are still good people on here that want to learn languages but it's not the same. Years ago people didn't use age designations for who they wanted to learn from as long as they were learning from a native speaker. Now I think there are other agendas for many people rather than language learning. Oh well, such is life and life goes on.

robertw819
8/5/18

Currently the site has been down for 24 hours. It's annoying that ongoing conversations are interrupted by downtimes..Many profiles say the right things but are not being honest about their reasons for being on the site. Too many pathetic scammers who can't even make an effort to appear sincere.

claudiab81
8/4/18

I deleted one account and reactivated another. And so I was banned from the site. While trying to protect myself from malicious people, I am banned from the site. While bad people are still there. I think they should review the concepts of banishing someone.

annemariey
7/26/18

I am speaking from my point of view as a woman living in a quite rich country. Interpals is mainly consisting of two groups of people: 1) scammers (fake US soldiers in most cases) 2) men from North and West African countries looking for an easy way to start life in a rich country. When you live in such a country you are overloaded with mails from guys age 17 to 60 who are quickly in love with you, tell you they seek their soul mate and so on. Some of them also beg for money (for sick mother, sick father, "schooling" even when they are 30+....) or for a "simple" paper to bring them to your country. Most of those guys are lowly educated and oftenly start talking in an offensive way or start talking about sex. You may find a few people who you really can talk with in a serious way, but this is the exception. It is a waste of time. I am happy that my account was suspended (without warning from moderators) because now I have more time for useful things.

alexisp45
7/15/18

I've read through a lot of the reviews on here and there seem to be a lot of people who don't like the site. While I can understand some of these gripes, here's the rub: Interpals is one of the best sites for penpals, epals, and online friends that you're going to find.

While sometimes the response rate can be less-than-spectacular, you can say that about most sites like this. Of course people are less likely to respond to you if there's no clear, obvious common ground between the two of you, or if half your message and/or profile is lamenting how nobody ever responds to you, or if you send a message that's only a few words long and your profile is basically blank.

While this might seem like I (and a lot of people who use Interpals) are basically raging narcissists who get off on being rude to people, you have to understand that the internet isn't always like places in the physical world. A lot more people will be trying to talk to you, so sometimes you just have to be a lot more selective about who you respond to, and you have to put a little bit of effort into making yourself stand out.

I mean, it's not too uncommon for me to get four or five messages from people I haven't spoken to before on a day when I've been on Interpals all day. This isn't a huge amount compared to the numbers other people get, but it's enough that you do have to make some decisions regarding who you respond to and who you don't. In my case, the people who just say "Hi, how are you?" and show no indication that they've read more than two or three words of my profile are the people who aren't getting a response.

I think there's a good chance that a lot of the people who want to complain about how Interpals is a haven for narcissists just aren't thinking about that aspect of things. Sometimes the case just is that you're going to have to decide between two people, and a lot of people are going to err on the side of responding to the person who sends a message that asks them a couple of questions about themselves and their interests rather than the person who just says hello.

I don't think that's indicative of people on the site generally being stuck up; it's indicative that people appreciate it when others put a bit of effort into getting to know them. It's not like people on the site are expecting a 2,000 word essay straight off the bat; most will be satisfied with a couple of lines about you and a couple of questions that you wanted to ask them based on their profile.

I think that's what a lot of the people here who are complaining about the bad response rate are failing to realise. You don't have to be writing long messages to people straight off the bat or resort to only saying hello--there a lot of middle ground between these two extremes, and that's what most people are hoping for.

Really, I think most people who complain about a bad response rate tend to be people who can't handle the fact that they're not always the kind of person people want to talk to, or they're people who don't realise that people online don't owe you their time.

There are some good, interesting people on Interpals who I've enjoyed talking to a great deal. While some of these conversations haven't lasted as long as I would have hoped, neither do some conversations I've had in real life; and neither do some of the friendships I've had in real life.

While as I said, the response rate may not always be as good as you hoped, that's true of a lot of places on the internet. Generally speaking, I've found that as long as you're willing to put some effort into your introductory message, you'll be able to find at least a few people who would like to be friends with you.

Interpals is an easy-to-use site that has a great mod team. While there have been obviously fake profiles that have been up for a surprisingly long time, the mod team will generally crack down on them fairly quickly once they've been reported. Usually the case is more that nobody's reported a problem rather than the mods are intentionally ignoring it.

Plus the mod team is just great in general, and rarely have I ever seen a mod team that's more even handed. Sometimes there have been cases where I've seen them make decisions I've disagreed with, but those tend to be the exception rather than the rule and I can usually at least see where they're coming from with the decision.

In terms of overall usability, Interpals is probably the easiest-to-use epal/pen pal website you're going to find, especially if you're like me and you don't want to pay to sign up. The site design is about as intuitive as you'd hope for. Plus, for the most part, Interpals doesn't really have the glaring on-site cultural issues that a lot of other sites of this nature tend to have.

Interpals is just overall a good site, and as I said, as long as you're okay with putting the effort into giving yourself a good introduction, you'll find some people who'll have a good conversation with you.

edwardm201
5/8/18

This site is a language exchange program, nothing more, nothing less. Nowhere does it say"hookups" I give this site a 5 for language exchange.

tonyf64
4/17/18

I have not been on this site in a while but its not because its not a good site, but instead because I am not much for social sites. I tend to keep to myself a lot more these days so hanging out on dating sites or sites where you need to be active a lot just isn't my thing.

InterPals.net is a great please to meet new people, make new friends, and even to learn a new language. There are tons of people on this site & the only negative opinion I have about it is the script that makes them look like the have more users online then they do by making multiple copies of the same profile appear often in searches, and its done so badly you can easily notice it when you see the same face like 20 times on 3 different pages of searching. But this is not a good reason to avoid them because they actually have a lot of members who are real people with real profiles & their own pictures & content.

Would I recommend this site to others?
Yes, and I have for many years now.

Tip for consumers: When you make suggestions or have problems they are pretty good about replying back in a reasonable amount of time.

There are a lot of women on the site who will try to tell you that they love you without ever having had talked to or met you which really makes me mad, but that's what the block option is for.

All sites with membership have many types of people on them, and you really can not judge a site for that when they go out of their way to cut down on such members.

sheilas101
4/17/18

Well, my review will be the most different with others. Some of you said that its an awful site, useless, etc. While I found some good things about it. I joined Interpals last month (March 2018). I found some guys chat me, and yes I got some "sex" chat from them also. But, once I get that, I will stop him talking about that and they are all respect on it. In other hands, this platform is such a great version from Omegle which you can choose whom to connect. If you're hating because of "romance" messages, you can ask them to stop. A choice is in your hand whether you block him immediately or asking them to stop. There must be some of them who are truly nice person and wants to be your friends.

I could say that I am totally agree with his opinion for the good people. I've met some great people on Interpals and despite the language barriers we've had good conversations. Some of us are still in touch today - whether it's on Interpals or on another social media page. I wouldn't mind meeting some of them in person but since they're far away it'll make for a hard adventure. I think a few times they found me and sent me the first message but for the most part, it was mainly me fishing around to see who I could talk to on the site and see who I was most compatible with as friends. They're all good people to me and are still my friends for a reason.

They're just nice. And for the scammers, yes obviously its so disturbing. They need to be take down all.

tya25
3/26/18

The platform is a waste of time for the majority of people who expect genuine connections. Here's why.

Ladies get over a 1000 messages upon a few weeks of creating their profile, especially if they are attractive. I was told of this fact a few times and I have reason to believe it is true. This gets the majority of the messages unanswered whether its coming from a guy or a girl. So, if youre a narcissist, this is your place to be to feel superior. From the guys perspective, it would be very discouraging to write any meaningful message since you almost always never get a response- however, at the same time, the few responses you may receive might create a craving for a dopamine surge and reason to continue the cycle.

It is extremely rare that you get a response or a first message if youre from a non western country or from a selected few eastern asian countries (Korea and Japan in particular). Your profile may get looked once or twice a month, and even most of the people who would bother to respond to you will not look at your profile (a sign of not interested). It is not for the rest of the world.

You almost always see in profile descriptions that they request you write in a certain fashion asking not to start conversation with hi or how are you? and other trite demands when contacting themanother narcissistic example.

Overall, this is like a dating site. The best proof is to browse through profiles and see who appears in their friends list. 99% of the time, it is people from the opposite sex. If youre a guy, this makes it awkward to write to another guy (who has all lady friends). This platform is designed like any other social media platform based on dopamine-driven feedback loops. It is designed to keep users stick to the loops without giving exactly what they are looking for- meaningful relationships - once formed which would make users not continue to use the site.

If youre genuinely interested in finding pen-pals, I suggest using sites which do not operate like social media sites with elaborated profiles with pictures and links. Chat sites specifically designed for language exchange are also very good for this, which would actually make users interact and form relationships.

ashleyp135
3/15/18

Interpals is awful. You create an account and then you start making friends and then WHAM---your account gets suspended by a moderator, but no one, no one, will tell you what youve done or why your account was taken down. Even when you are doing nothing, and I mean absolutely, nothing wrong, your account will get suspended if there are enough horny or creepy males who put a compliant against you, because you wont sex chat with them or send them naked pictures. It is disgusting how moderators on this web site will suspend your account without even giving you a chance to plead your case or ask for your account to be reinstated. This site is pathetic and a bunch of losers. Do not, I repeat do not, use this website. There are far more better ones out there that dont suspend your account on whims that dont make sense.

rosya1
Rosy A.
2/28/18

Interpals was ok as founded a good penpal. Stopped writing as she was too busy for me

Now its full on scammers, fake profiles and want people to learn English etc.....Also want more details e.g. current and past city, material status, education and what type of pen pal.

Its on top of google as they paid google, money (pay by click on the advert banner)

js354
1/26/18

I first discovered this site around late 2012 early 2013. It actually wasn't so bad then. I made a few friends from Europe and was able to visit them. I took a break and came back around 2014. It was a little worse but I was still able to connect with a few people. Starting around 2015 the site just went completely downhill and got worse with each year. It's almost unusable now as it is full of horny males looking for sex chat, wives, or girls to date in countries they want to live in. Because of these pests it has made these women angry and when normal people like myself contact them I am met with ill tempered nutjobs looking to argue/insult. This website is more of a comedy site now and something I am using less than 30 minutes a week. I know if I want a laugh I can login and read the message of some lunatic. It's nothing more than time killer now.

limad
1/25/18

Tbh I disagree with most reviews here, the problem is not the scammers, as they are expected on a site like this, not to mention you can so easily block them, it really doesn't matter.

However my main problem is that seriously almost noone joins this site to find a penpal!!! Wouldn't that be the point of the whole thing?
It seems to me that for all people this is a damn frikkin dating site. Not sure why would anyone date with someone half a continent away ... but sure ... Not one who can hold a decent conversation, not one who is actually interested in what the other person does and such. Even though half of the profiles are full with introductions like "looking for long friendship, deep conversations etc etc" they NEVER actually look for that. If you are a girl, you will mostly be contacted by guys, which should be fine, I have plenty of male friends, but these guys are certainly not looking for that!

And what else can I say, men who think they are otherworldly gods and they won't be go so low to talk to you if you are not a goddess or just idk not their type.
I also wrote to women saying they are not looking for relationships, thinking that hey maybe that person indeed just wants to have a nice conversation. Turns out wrong, their friendlist is also full of men, only men, and they won't reply to you.

There are also loads of people who are only looking for an English teacher, hence if you are not native speaker they won't talk to you.

lol, I think the whole site is ridiculous, it is good for some occasional causal chat, that would only last 2-3 days, but honestly nothing more. I kinda lost faith in humankind. I am sure there are genuine people there too, like I am, but it's like finding the needle in the haystack ...

elenaz10
12/3/17

I decided to create a new account, and give it a try again. I hoped I could find a few penpals this time, with a bit of luck.. Well, after a few days, I already deleted the account. So so many scammers, one in particular. Exactly the same messages I received when I first joined the penpal club a few years ago. At first, this Indian scammer from the same profile again, using several ones. From India at first, pretending to be a woman, in a sari, no face in the photo, somebody posted the word "scammer" on his wall. A few years ago he made up a story about having severe family problems, and he... Urgently needed my e-mail address. I recognized the picture immediately. I couldn't post on his wall, as he wouldn't allow anyone... Obviously. Then he tried and contact me from several other fake profiles, same style, blocked wall, fake photos, from Afghanistan, USA, and also as an inactive user. He could easily post any messages he liked this way, as he couldn't be blocked. I had to block my message section from penpals members and wall. Not to mention about the disgusting, cowards scammers posting insulting and racist messages on the wall as inactive users, cowardly hiding away... Lions behind the keyboard, but cowards in real life. I joined again and I regret it. I wanted to find the only decent Italian lady pal I had, but she was no longer there, and who can blame her... And then, perverts, jealous women (you can be sure if you are a woman, they will never contact you), rude and ignorant messages. Such a "great" place! If someone decent is trying to contact you, you won't believe him. And won't believe it! Nobody can be trusted

davidp416
11/24/17

I have been a member of Interpals since the early days - 10 years in fact, so I think I have a fairly good picture of what the site dynamics are like.

In the early days, it was a great place to meet interesting people around the world. I met many good friends who I am still in touch with to this day. One of those people became my current partner of 6 years, so fair play - it has its moments.

At least it used to.

In the past 5 years, I have made zero meaningful friendships through the site, and I have not changed my approach at all since I made 5 very good friends in 2007-2012. And yes, 4 of those 5 people noticed the same shift in the site around the 2012 mark and either left of abandoned their profiles.

The community has become a vapid cesspit of pervs, narcissists and scammers. As others have noted, the response rate to messages is low. In my own experience, my messages (polite, thoughtful, interested in their hobbies) have a response rate somewhere around 20% on a good day. And that's including the ones who chat with you for the day and then pretend you are dead.

So if you are a "good" penpal who writes long, well-thought-out messages to people who you believe you could become friends with, I'd advise not to bother. The simple fact that half of your messages never even get read, and of the ones that are, you get a response to 2 in 5, makes the whole exercise a colossal waste of time.

As for the language parasites that others have referred to (albeit more politely than I), the struggle is real. I have had dozens of people who I have been helping with their English for months or years (during regular conversation):

- Demand that I write an essay for them. That's right - they see you as a paid tutor (??)
- Become extremely angry that I was not available to proofread their report before submitting it, despite having no idea what their schedule is (and a life of my own offline).
- Completely ghost me as soon as they no longer need help with English. Some of these are people I considered good friends, so it sucks when they just don't want to give you the time of day once you have served your "use" to them.

Not worth the mental anguish that it used to cause me, where I wondered what I had said or done to deserve being dropped like a molten rock for no apparent reason.

To even have a shot at improving, the Interpals team would need to figure out a way to restore the community to what it used to be, because ultimately, it isn't the admins' fault that the people have turned sour.

Can it be saved? I don't even know where you would begin to fix it. In my opinion, the horse has well and truly bolted.

henryp44
11/16/17

It used to be a really good website until 2016, then the indian scammer was registering on there. He creates tons of fake accounts to attack ppl and mods. Often he's holding discussions between his different accounts, you can see it in the Indian thread and in the general threads. He pretended to be a brazilian, polish girls, dutch men, a dutch girl, afgani, indonesians, singaporean girl and filipina. He used to discuss such issues as threesomes and all. Also his favourite issues are skin colour, racism and cannibalism. During 1.5 years he lies that he met celebrities face to face and has a very beautiful GF from the USA, who calls him every day to India and loves him. It isn't a regular troll, but hideous and very harrassing psychopath. The big reason many people stop loving the site.

Tip for consumers: Be wary of anyone who flatters a lot to please you. Be careful with the Indian users on the forum. Indian people are not bad, but you will often find exactly that scammer, which will initially be flatter you a ton, and then begin to attack you from his fake accounts. So just be wary, dear friends!

jackim2
11/5/17

This site is full of scammers Kurt Weller is one that keeps popping up on all the sites. He needs to be take down . He has scammed many and still at it . He uses so many different names and stolen pictures . But I have also met some very nice people on here .

barbsa
11/2/17

Awful place where pedophiles meet and moderators praise white supremacists and their propaganda while banning those who offer any counter arguments.

guilhermem5
10/17/17

I've used Interpals for over seven years and I can pretty much tell you this website used to be a good website to chat, talk and creat lifelong friendships and maybe meet a girlfriend, believe it or not.
Back in 2011, I met tons of people who I still talk to, few of them should I say, and back then it was nice and it seemed that people genuinely wanted to talk to you, get to know you and even learn your language, but here's when things kind of changed, from 2014 on I couldn't meet a single person, things got bored and it didn't have the sparkle anymore, you just would scroll up and down all day long and not a single soul would get back to you, which was very annoying, by the way.
All in all, it's worth trying and good to do some language exchance, but nothing more than that now, although you might be the lucky one and go past "hi, how are you?"

spencers15
10/3/17
• Updated review

I signed up for Interpals sometime in late 2015 as a test. I wanted to see if I could talk to people from around the world and to see if I could make any friends. Over the course of time I've had ups and downs on Interpals. Nothing too extraordinary, but nothing too negative either. In this review, I'll just document what I can about my thoughts on this site.

Right off the bat Interpals has a bit of an out-dated layout that's okay-ish for modern standards I suppose. I don't know if they had planned to change the layout, but if they did they never bothered to do it (obviously). Not much to rave about, but it could always be worse. The search feature isn't too complex as you can search for the basic things without much hassle, but I would like to see it improved upon. The forums are a bit of a waste of time with the combination of its glitchyness and the lack of good content on there. Some people on the forums seem to be super negative, but that might just be me and my "bad timing" while searching certain posts.

As for the quality of people on Interpals this is a hot/cold subject. I'll break this up into a few paragraphs. You're likely going to find good people to talk with and you might find a like-minded person, but they won't fall from the sky and it won't happen with the first person you meet. If it does, then consider yourself lucky. If you want to learn a new language then do yourself a favor and go on Duolingo instead. You can forget about learning a new language from most of these people because the site's basically a place where you meet new people and you chat with them. Some might offer you to teach, but again it's like what I mentioned earlier about meeting like-minded people. If it happens, consider yourself lucky. Is it a bad thing? Absolutely not. However I know many people yearn to learn a new language and flock to Interpals, but as I mentioned -- go to Duolingo. It'll save you the hassle.

So for the good people: I've met some great people on Interpals and despite the language barriers we've had good conversations. Some of us are still in touch today - whether it's on Interpals or on another social media page. I wouldn't mind meeting some of them in person but since they're far away it'll make for a hard adventure. I think a few times they found me and sent me the first message but for the most part it was mainly me fishing around to see who I could talk to on the site, and see who I was most compatible with as friends. I don't know if I'd say I'm super close with any of them, but they're all good people to me and are still my friends for a reason.

I've had some people turn cold on me (going from nice and talkative to cold and rude, and even had one person just blocking me for no reason) or simply not respond to me anymore (as I've also done with them too), but I didn't lose sleep over it. It's going to happen on the site because a lot of us have changing mindsets. One day we get super motivated to meet new people. The next, we get tired of it. It happens. So if you're looking for life-long penpals then you might want to keep expectations low.

Now for the bad people: they're spread throughout Interpals. Do you ever come across a profile on Interpals that usually has a bunch of negative things on it, and the person comes off as arrogant, self-entitled and rude just because they're good looking or they're in a foreign country? No? Thank god. I've come across a number of these profiles and these people are clearly NOT ones I'd associate with. I don't know about you, but if you want to find people to talk too, at least come off as personable. I've also had people insult me for giving them a "copy/paste" introduction message. I'm sorry, but you're not entitled to a personable message, and I'm not going to waste my time if you're not going to respond back. I would send a nice couple paragraphs to a few people because their profile was interesting, but then I heard nothing back from them. So nobody's entitled to anything unless you prove to me you want to invest the time to get to know me. It's as simple as that. I do that on purpose. Don't like it? Too bad. Luckily, most people haven't had an issue with my intro messages.

Dear 419 scammers: No, you will not get money. No, I'm not going to go to Western Union and give you 20 dollars because you have "no food". Yes, I'm going to waste your time. Yes, I'm going to laugh at you internally. 419 scammers are nothing new. They've been around for decades, even before the Internet was even a thing. Sadly, on Interpals they're spread throughout as well. They pose as military personnel, ladies with enlarged body parts that are clearly taken from adult sites, and they have really bad grammar. STAY AWAY from those people at all costs. Unless you want to waste their time, then go all in for it.

Oh, and the perverts. Well, there's a reason you're on Interpals trying to get a woman. You can't get one in your home country for blatantly obvious reasons.

I probably missed things but that's my take on Interpals. It's got the good, the bad, and the ugly. Obviously the site isn't as active as it once was years ago, but you can still make some decent friends if you keep your expectations low and you have a bit of fun with it. I've made good friends from the site, and I've met some rude people who hopefully have found peace with themselves.

Interpals gets a 3/5 from me.

“Good for Casual chat, but nothing more.”
10/3/17
• Previous review

(I had written an initial review awhile back but figured I'd write another one for no reason at all. Go me lol.).

Interpals gets a 3/5 from me.

patryko2
9/15/17

Sorry but interpals is full of idiots..
You can forgot about learning languages because most time you will writing in english. Most people are rude and arogant. Many people have miliard words in their profile page and telling you that they dont answer to only hi, hello etc.. then how to start conversation woth people who have answers on everything in their page.. . site is need to fix because sometimes you getting messages but messages page is clean.

janed228
9/1/17

I've been on and off as an Interpals member. I was active several years ago, tried returning, left, then came back more recently. Honestly, it hasn't changed as a site nor as a community, which is good and bad.

I'll start with the bad and try to sweeten it with the good.

CONS:

As a woman, I can tell you that other women can and will be spammed by 80% middle easterners, Indians, Africans, some obscure countries you've never heard of, all male, with photos that often look like mug shots (they aren't but I'm talking about the quality). Am I putting these countries or people down? Not at all. This is a rough estimate based on personal experience. During my first and second time trying to use the site, it was mostly middle eastern males. At the time, I actually did have photos up, and ironically it's middle eastern men and indian men roughly around 50 years old and above. Sorry, but I don't want someone the same age as my dad or grandfather hitting on me. I also had guys from various parts of Africa and the Carribean Islands sending me friend requests with no message. Like Facebook, that's just odd if you haven't sent me a message telling me why my profile interested you. Just the picture? Hell, I don't even think I'm average-level attractive.

In my current and probably last attempt at using this site, I chose not to upload any selfies. The sheer fact that I listed myself as female made the swarm show up. I only had middle eastern guys show up this time, but I preemptivly blocked certain countries from contacting me after one guy sent me a bunch of unsolicited videos. Just youtube and nothing bad, but what the hell can't someone just be normal and say hi? I blocked him and his country.

PROS:

It might sound like there are very little pros. However, after you configure your settings and filters, you can finally start sifting through the dirt to get to the gold. One thing that really, really helps is to write out a decent About Me section. Tell just enough about yourself and what you're looking for without offering up seriously personal information. There's a box labeled Requests. Fill this out and be specific about what you don't want people to do. A lot of people are actually dumb enough to use this site as a dating site. I thought this was a Penpal site, not Tinder's Rejects. Anyway. It is possible to make friends and find people willing to be friends and help you learn a language. The key is that you learn how to properly screen profiles and get that gut feeling for when something seem 'off.'

Now, if you want a more independent, alternative review, this Reddit thread is pretty open about more of the dark side of Interpals. https://www.reddit.com/r/interpals/comments/4gnfzs/interpals_review_why_you_should_and_shouldnt_use/

As someone who has ised Ipals for over 7 years and is older than most posters here appear to be, I can say that it has been very useful to me. I have met many people over the years, some have become true friends and visited others will only ever be online, but áras close to me as people in the Real world. Yes there have been scammers, loads of them, even my user name came from a message from a scammer after I reported him, but that is what you do, report them! If they Really are scammers the site removes them. You have to remember this is a Free site and all the moderators are volunteers, so they do the best that they can. Also I would suggest that a lot of the people complaining here are a little inexperienced and naive., you can hardly blame the site for that. If you keep your wits about you and respond to people as you would in life, you can meet some great people that you would never meet in the real world and learn an awful lot. Also, dont complain if someone doesnt respond to "Hello" Its hardly an inspiring openong line is it? I find that the more you tell in your profile the better the response, the same for a message. How the hell do you answer Hello, especially if the progile is one line or word in each box, other than with "Hello" back and that is the end of the conversation. Its a 2 way street, you have to put in too, you cant just whinge that everybody is a weirdo. That would suggest that it is you that are out of your depth and would maybe happier on youtube or twitter. Also, as someone else has written You control who contacts you, by your settings. Of course I have no idea what goes on in the younger branches of the site, I stick firmly to my own age group, as I have nothing to say to younger ones, anymore than they have anything to interest me, but I felt I need to defend what for me has overall been a very good place to communicate.

By Shelagh M.

As others have said, it's for more or less the reason you'd expect: many are scammers, perverts, or rude. So long as you report a scammer quick, they'll have their account deleted within a few hours. Perverts and rude people will have their accounts deleted pretty quick as well so long as enough people report them. People deleting their accounts can be another factor. I think at one point there was a requirement that an account be at least a week old before it could be deleted, but I don't know if that's still the case. Usually it's just because they were obviously catfish or scammers, or they were sending an onslaught of rude or perverted messages to everyone they could. Some people will think this means the mods are ban happy, but this is actually a good thing. You don't want to be on the site if it's filled with scammers and people with little-to-no decorum.

By Alexis P.

99.9% of those wearing a uniform in their profile pictures are scammers and fake profiles.

By Tom M.

Please be more specific about the nature of your issue. There's any number of reasons why this could be the case.

Okay. That happens sometimes

By Alexis P.

Other people can only see your messages on Interpals if they know your password. So don't give people your password and it'll be fine.

By Alexis P.

I'm not really sure. Interpals' search system has always been somewhat temperamental and kinda like a genie in the sense that you always have to make sure you've done everything just right to make sure it gives you what you want.

By Alexis P.

Hi, first usual suspects when one is being blocked/prevented from navigating onto a site can include, double check with your (internet service provider) ISP; whomever the company is that you rely upon to get online. Generally speaking, both in earlier times and still, tho nearly as common present day,so still, (a) company=ISP that is offering net access is the owner of their servers. Accordingly, again, as a general rule, as the providers, operators and owners of the servers, they customize whatever settings and the parameters therein, as they like. Other, out of the gate reasons one can be prevented, blocked, from visiting a site, 1 of the most common and still seen on a rare occasion (more so present day) may likely have something to do with the websites international laws versus some end users state, country location. Additional typical reasons, further, can be anything from a glitch? a tech error? to an oversight, say, if somewhere within the fine print there might be a proof of age needed, matter to any number of things that may also be easy to over look? to be altogether, unaware of readily. Depending on the type of website it is has the potential to cause such an issue. For example, age restrictions? (thus, there might be some documentation somewhere within the pre-intro page and mentioned in say, the fine print, so to speak. Also, the issue could have something to do with 1 or more unknown issues for the end users part e.g. unknown software issue(s) that say, may be running in the background and possibly causing the problem. Possible RESOLVES(?) Best place to start troubleshooting the mystery is definitively, to call your ISP (to include an affirmative suggestion to insist on speaking with someone in upper management (manager? supervisor? systems operator(s)?) and not say, first point of contact staff.

By jen a.
Questions? Get answers from the InterPals.net staff and other customers.

InterPals.net?