InterPals.net

InterPals.net has a consumer rating of 1.9 stars from 111 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about InterPals.net most frequently mention language exchange, fake profiles and real life problems. InterPals.net ranks 102nd among Forum sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 15.4%

No positive highlights yet

• I was looking to meet people from around the world and not to hop in the sack with these random guys.
  • This site is not a Penpal site, it's a sex site and their moderation team does no moderation unless it suits them.
How would you rate InterPals.net?

“Two sides of a coin”

Andrea M.
9/3/20

I've been on Interpals from 02/2014 until 01/2017. I agree that there are too many scammers around, with stolen profile pictures, and every new request must be treated with utmust care. On the other hand, the first contact I made was an English fire guy, we were friends from day one, moved on to Skype after 2 weeks, visits followed and recently we had our first wedding anniversary. I left interpals then due to lack of time, but I am still in contact with 3 good friends from Sweden, Ukraine and the Netherlands. So it worked for us and there is no regret at all that we both signed up there.

“Wierd scam site”

spike s.
11/17/20

I came on, thinking it was one of those kinda DIY communities. It's not only weird but creepy, and the users are 1 liner conversationalists. They treat it like its some kind of dating site/hookup site/instagram/facebook. Very few if any are legit or real, it feels like they have workers who respond to your messages. Stay away, don't get on here its a front for a scam site I can feel it.

people (69) penpal site (11) language exchange (9) friends (49) lot (29) profile (43) time (42) account (30) 6 years (3) sites (14) someone (17) messages (31)
spikes1
November 17th, 2020
I came on, thinking it was one of those kinda DIY communities.

Stay away, don't get on here its a front for a scam site I can feel it.
dianea474
January 18th, 2021
I've been rude lately to guys who often talks about sex and perverted stuff, as well as guys who talks as if they know it all. Well, now they won coz interpals suspended my account. Interpals doesn't seem to review the reports. They just base it on the number of reporters. That's how it seems to me or maybe they do review them but just side with the men.

Tip for consumers:
Like any other app, there are trolls and perverts.

yokol1
March 15th, 2020
Where they find them? While I reported 2 cases of "white " Nigerian girls, which my experience tells me they are definitely scammers I got the following message from interpals board.

Your account has been flagged for abusing the "Report to Moderator" system with excessive, frivolous or unfounded reports.

This is a violation of the Terms of Service. Please note that this is a warning and any further misconduct could result in the deletion of your account.

InterPals Staff

So if my assumption is unfounded you tell the first rogue user created it's account minutes before while the second had it for 11 hours.
That takes me to the assumption that interpals favors or it's part of the scam. Hence the variety of pictures scammers possess.

Take a hike from here.
apanr
February 19th, 2020
I tried finding some penpals here, but the site is mainly full of perverts, Nazi people, rude people or people with a general IQ of about 80 at its best. There are better penpal sites out there, don't waste your precious time on this virtual sewer.
ayc
December 8th, 2019
Today my account which I have had for years and contains the entire chat I first had with my girlfriend (we met on interpals) has been suspended completely without warning. I was just chatting to people and boom logged out then cant log in because it is suspended.

As other people said, the site is full of scammers and perverts. I had no idea mods even existed because they do nothing about it until I randomly got suspended.
francescog24
June 19th, 2020
I used this site for a long time and I didn't get long term friendships. I found a lot of rude people and many of them were not interested in a language exchange. I also received some messages from perverts and fake profiles, and I blocked them. Young people only want to get new followers on social networks (they reach you on Instagram, then they disappear after a short time). Others try to find new "friends", since they're bored. It's difficult to keep friendships, so don't trust in people which claims the opposite. I didn't get my profile suspended by moderators. Despite this, it's a free website, since you don't have to pay for it.
didigoa
May 3rd, 2020
And It's because users not the Tool. Even if there is making it 100% CLEAR (Language-Exchange) a lot of people complain that they have to teach someone or if someone ask about their Language. A lot of Women 3/10 (80% off All Women there) who have Mediocre Lifes are looking for attention and validation. Is very common take a look in some female profiles: "If you start with a "hi?" or "how are you?" i will not reply." reveals a very high and pathetic level of narcissism coming from (many cases) depressed people who can barely get out of their houses. They use to say "this is not a Dating Site!" but if you are a Good Looking Man... it's Okay (Lol) they accept your Flirt and Flirt Back! Of course if you are a random person and do the same, will be a "Creepy Behaviour". Women use Interpals for Ego-Boost. This site made me believe in something never before thought: I discovered that inhabitants of First World Countries are totally dumb, idiots with IQ of 50 unable to maintain a basic conversation. Men there are most of them needy and desperate for female attention and sexual attention, many are sexual perverts who want virtual sex. Others are Scammers and want $$$ using Fake Photos and Fake Profiles. To be totally fair: I met a few nice (and Real) people there. In short it's (or should be) a website to Learn Languages/PenPals but unfortunately it was invaded by Losers.
meha2
July 26th, 2020
This site is not a Penpal site, it's a sex site and their moderation team does no moderation unless it suits them. Girls are flashing their body parts especially while covering their face with their phone too while saying "not interested in flirting", linking just their Instagram to try and leech followers, guys and old men hit on minors and inappropriate pictures are on this website and the moderation team does nothing about it even if they're reported.

This website should be reported to the police or some other law enforcement since it's tons of nudity, inappropriate photos, inappropriate flirting and this site welcomes minors of 13+, and even they are exposed to this flirting by 20-60 old men.
herol4
January 10th, 2020
Lonely wankers and $#*!s if real at all.
Every day sex offers from agencies, $#*!s with desire to show $#*!ing $#*! on cam.
Nothin mo than dat.
krisb125
December 17th, 2019
My account was suspended after I refused to skype with this random man. The Moderator suspended my account after this random guy demanded me to skype with him for sexual purposes of course. I sent them a message and they said that they would review my account. Is this site run my perverts? I was looking to meet people from around the world and not to hop in the sack with these random guys. My question is why did this website Moderator listen to this pervert to suspend my account? I'm looking to expose them for the kind of website they are.
rosya1
Rosy A.
February 28th, 2018
Interpals was ok as founded a good penpal. Stopped writing as she was too busy for me

Now its full on scammers, fake profiles and want people to learn English etc.....Also want more details e.g. current and past city, material status, education and what type of pen pal.

Its on top of google as they paid google, money (pay by click on the advert banner)
tonyf64
April 17th, 2018
I have not been on this site in a while but its not because its not a good site, but instead because I am not much for social sites. I tend to keep to myself a lot more these days so hanging out on dating sites or sites where you need to be active a lot just isn't my thing.

InterPals.net is a great please to meet new people, make new friends, and even to learn a new language. There are tons of people on this site & the only negative opinion I have about it is the script that makes them look like the have more users online then they do by making multiple copies of the same profile appear often in searches, and its done so badly you can easily notice it when you see the same face like 20 times on 3 different pages of searching. But this is not a good reason to avoid them because they actually have a lot of members who are real people with real profiles & their own pictures & content.

Would I recommend this site to others?
Yes, and I have for many years now.

Tip for consumers:
When you make suggestions or have problems they are pretty good about replying back in a reasonable amount of time.

There are a lot of women on the site who will try to tell you that they love you without ever having had talked to or met you which really makes me mad, but that's what the block option is for.

All sites with membership have many types of people on them, and you really can not judge a site for that when they go out of their way to cut down on such members.

sarahb1577
January 23rd, 2021
You can find persons international and search for them based on filters, for example for those who have an interest in language exchange. Notifications are shown in a rather subtle way; i do not feel annoyed by them. Others can see that you clicked on their message and you are not able to remove sent messages from the account of other persons. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago, i received many scam writings over time, while it current is not the case anymore for me. For some strange reason you are not able to register without typing information like gender or location anymore. I have found some online long-term friends there
alis189
September 15th, 2020
Many scammers and racist site, many scammers and you can not report them because admin will threat you
Many scammers ask for money and your pics, you cant leave the site just after one week
edwardm201
May 8th, 2018
This site is a language exchange program, nothing more, nothing less. Nowhere does it say"hookups" I give this site a 5 for language exchange.
marcusn41
June 20th, 2020
In a short story this website should be shut down.

I found a fake profile that looked familiar and after checking where I recognised it from, I was right and it was a famous girl Youtuber/streamer. Reported the profile and even linked to real person's Instagram including the pictures that were stolen. Nothing was done.

I found a profile of a girl that only has cleavage pictures, or pictures of herself in short skirts, and in one picture where she was showing her hair you could see her ass and thong. Reported her profile picture where you could only see 5% of her face (part of her eye, and lips and that's about it) and rest of the picture was of her boobs, and the picture was taken from above so it was straight down focused on her boobs. I reported this and Interpals moderation team said there's nothing wrong with the photo (5% face and rest boobs on a website with 13 year olds), and issued several warnings on my account for having flirted with someone which was happening both ways, so they just issued me warnings instead for something which both people consented to, was in the past, and was not reported.
rossea
December 25th, 2016
I joined interpals one month ago. I met friend there. His profile name Danilescott 45 yrs old from Switzerland. First sound like good person. But finaly he was not. I suspected the pictures of him on interpals are not him. This profile operated by someone who part of cyber crime. Because they will ask money and pretend to fall in love bla bla.
They connected to network crime as immigration officer etc. Please beware
andream633
September 3rd, 2020
ma216
January 2nd, 2020
It's a site based on perverts and corrupt moderation staff. Guys use it to play girls and get nudes photos or video chatting and upload half naked photos (not appropriate for a penpal site which 12-13 year olds can use), girls use it to post half nudes or trash guys. A lot of the girls are fake accounts, people are full of themselves claiming to know who's a fake account and therefore blocking all new accounts. Arabs, etc, are spamming all girls looking for wives, and so on. Moderation team don't deal with half naked girls, but suspend those reporting them instead.

I reported a fake account for using an inappropriate photo, a photo of a girl pulling down her top to reveal more of her cleavage, and the moderators took it away. The person uploaded the same photo later on, it got removed again. When it was uploaded a third time and I reported it the moderators put a warning on my account for "abusing the report system" and warned that they might terminate my acccount if I do it again, and didn't remove the photo that was against their rules the 2 previous times.
jackyl5
October 5th, 2015
Ever since I've joined this website it's been nothing but great. Of course, there's always going to be rude people, weirdos, and trolls(come on people it's the internet, what do you expect?). Despite this, I've met many genuine people which led into good friendships. So far I have 6 good friends from this website and still counting. If somebody were to ask me if I knew a website to make friends and exchange languages, I'd recommend interpals 1000%.
dania29
June 26th, 2020
Since 2018 I had been an Interpals user on and off until 2020. It goes into many directions and mixes it all up which is a big part of why the "date seekers" get mixed up with the penpal and language exchange people. Many people are commenting it's not a dating site - but it has that options in the profiles, though their site name is misleading. People have the option for seeking: relationships (yes it's on there), flirting only, friendship online, penpals, snail mail penpals and language exchange. As many people have said in their reviews, people on Interpals do not read profiles! Which is why people seeking marriage/relationships bother people looking for friends or language exchange. The name of their site indicates penpals (friendship) so they should just stick to that and get rid of the flirting and relationship seeking options.

There's scammers everywhere including here. Some I had developed a friendship with told me about several scammers on there who bothered them but all sites have them. If you dare to use the site even after all the warnings here and on other review sites, just be vigilant. People that post only "model" type photos and have a very generic profile tend to be fake or people who like to troll. Put your wall to private if you don't want creepy men and women leaving comments that inappropriate or links to questionable outside sites.

Like any site, the quality of people vary, but for the most part, this site seems to attract a lot of narcissists, hypocrites and people that seem to have quite a few skeletons in their closets going by their secretiveness on their end but wanting to know everything about you (red flags!). We all have our preferences in conversations but considering a majority of people say the same thing: people don't seem to reply - it makes me wonder why so many people on that website who are fairly new claim to get "100s of messages" each day or week so write more than a basic "hello" or "how are you" because it's "not creative enough" for them want to write you. They think very highly of themselves that they are so special compared to everyone else, a hello is offensive and not good enough. The hypocrites come in when they claim they are looking only for friendship or language exchange and will write anyone if they write but only respond to men/women who look like models or are under 30. Didn't realize people can only be "friends" with or "learn a language" from models. Clearly they are looking for more than this. If you write "NOT seeking a relationship" in the request section and don't select the relationship/flirting option, people will still write you and after a few exchanges ask for your number or social media name or flirt with you and when you tell the person you don't want to because you have someone or just not interested, they get angry or they stop talking with you because they wanted more. Really, don't waste a lot of time writing a long profile, it more than likely won't get read, people go off your photo only and age. Also, people that claim to drop them a line, they write anyone back and their account is active - most of them lie and again, if you're not young and beautiful they won't write back. There's also a lot of people on there that see if someone has a married status will purposely try to flirt and get sexual exchanges of various types with those people just for fun. Some people appear to be nice and after talking will start to ask to send naked photos and when you say no thanks, they say ok and start to talk about it anyway and sometimes even send them after you say no or tell them you have a relationship. So if you're in a relationship and using this not to cheat but just talks and language, beware of giving out social media messengers or whatsapp numbers because photos may be sent to you that could strain your relationship. People are just obnoxious.

I never reported anyone on there because I just blocked people, but so many people on many review sites say if you report anyone for lying in their profiles or being inappropriate, they person reporting gets blocked. So if someone is saying they use the site for language but is seeking a relationship and harassing you, report them and you can end up being suspended or warned for reporting. Meanwhile that person gets to go on bothering people. If you allow everyone to message you be prepared to get a lot of flirting messages, marriage proposals and inappropriate comments from people from certain areas and I don't write that to be prejudice or racist no matter what anyone thinks, I've experiences and so have other people (both men and women). Of course not everyone from these areas are like that, but too many scammer messages or rude comments are left from there. And if you you block certain countries because of this, you have the people who will say you're a bad person and discriminate and won't talk to you. Also, hate speech is not allowed yet there is a ton of neo-nazis on that website and promote their ideology and their profiles are never taken down. That right there should say everything about their site. The site is just a mess!

This covers about everything from my personal experiences and other friends of mine. If you're looking for a language exchange sites, there are several other really good ones what are strictly for that, they don't use profile photos because they realize it doesn't matter if that's what you're reallying seeking. Less scammers use those sites and their admins don't punish the victim of hate or harassment, they deal with the person causing it.

I wouldn't touch that site again with a 10-foot pole. Enter at your own risk. You've been warned!
ashr60
April 5th, 2017
I read these reviews before I joined two years ago. Now I'm back, and can share experience.
-Yes, there are strange people.
-Yes, there are people who aren't who they say they are.
-Yes, you can have good conversations with people from other countries, and you CAN have good language exchange.
-DO NOT join expecting to be TAUGHT the language: you wouldn't sit there and teach someone English, I'm guessing, and no one is going to hold your hand through Japanese or French.

Always reach out to people, anyone you think you'd like to talk to; lots of them won't respond, but that's okay, because some will. Usually if you get ignored, it's for the best, and they would have turned out to be shallow or not speak your language.
When you get messaged, talk about what you have in common. Definitely get to know who you're talking to - it's fun! But don't give away information until you are comfortable - the right people will understand and be wary themselves.
If someone wants a relationship and you don't, make your intentions clear. They will either accept it, or they will move on.
No pressure. It isn't primarily a dating site, so don't go asking for significant others - many other members won't appreciate that.
You're just here for the ride, so make the best of it. Celebrate the friendships, but don't beat yourself up over the losses or the weird comments. If you feel threatened, you can always report, or you can leave.
If they publish personal information about you, it likely won't hurt you as much as you think - sure, it's embarrassing, but no one uses the site anyway, so the info won't get far.

Overall, my experience has been great. Just keep an open mind and don't take anything too seriously.

Have fun!
tj122
November 21st, 2019
This is such a dreadful web site. It's mostly full of scammers and very narcissistic women who can't be bothered to write any profile at all, but still manage to post really boring, quite duff photos of themselves.
The people who run the site heavily pamper to these scammers as they're desperate for any content at all. Yet they steadfastly refuse to respond to most complaints or even remove the dodgy comments sent in or posted by creepy users. Many users struggle to reach an average IQ of 20, so don't expect a riveting conversation from them, that's if they even bother to reply to anyone's messages. These women's looks rate about 2 out of 10, they express unbelievable ignorance and massive prejudices like racism and ageism in very poorly written profiles. Their BS narratives often close by asking viewers not to keep pestering them (as if, they'd be so lucky!). Clearly full of catfish, immature dumbo children who want to be / think they're all beautiful bimbos. Avoid it like the plague if you've got any brains.
lindao60
April 29th, 2017
I have been on InterPals for years. I have met many good friends American and international. It is not a good dating or language learning site but if you are just looking for casual friends to swap life experiences, it fits the bill. The trick is in the filters, be specific about the age, gender and countries you will accept. Block anyone you don't want or are suspicious of. Go to a real dating site if you want romance.
tomm565
August 6th, 2018
I have been on this site for over 12 years this time around. It has always been a good site for learning and helping with languages. This site went down hill when they added flirting. After that every pervert in the world comes to this site and some try to say they are from countries they are not from to scam people. Most of us are wise to these African scammers and get them shut down real fast only to have them come back again claiming they are someone else. It's more of a game than anything else. There are still good people on here that want to learn languages but it's not the same. Years ago people didn't use age designations for who they wanted to learn from as long as they were learning from a native speaker. Now I think there are other agendas for many people rather than language learning. Oh well, such is life and life goes on.

No one of these conditions were available to me because I didn't receive any advice concerning spamming or anything else like that and they année me only after 3 days signing up :(

By Keryl M.
See more answers (4)

As someone who has ised Ipals for over 7 years and is older than most posters here appear to be, I can say that it has been very useful to me. I have met many people over the years, some have become true friends and visited others will only ever be online, but áras close to me as people in the Real world. Yes there have been scammers, loads of them, even my user name came from a message from a scammer after I reported him, but that is what you do, report them! If they Really are scammers the site removes them. You have to remember this is a Free site and all the moderators are volunteers, so they do the best that they can. Also I would suggest that a lot of the people complaining here are a little inexperienced and naive., you can hardly blame the site for that. If you keep your wits about you and respond to people as you would in life, you can meet some great people that you would never meet in the real world and learn an awful lot. Also, dont complain if someone doesnt respond to "Hello" Its hardly an inspiring openong line is it? I find that the more you tell in your profile the better the response, the same for a message. How the hell do you answer Hello, especially if the progile is one line or word in each box, other than with "Hello" back and that is the end of the conversation. Its a 2 way street, you have to put in too, you cant just whinge that everybody is a weirdo. That would suggest that it is you that are out of your depth and would maybe happier on youtube or twitter. Also, as someone else has written You control who contacts you, by your settings. Of course I have no idea what goes on in the younger branches of the site, I stick firmly to my own age group, as I have nothing to say to younger ones, anymore than they have anything to interest me, but I felt I need to defend what for me has overall been a very good place to communicate.

By Shelagh M.
See more answers (3)

You are not alone... a bunch of incompetent mods are there who are highly biased. This is while women have been given free hand to misuse "Report" button. If you don't agree with them you get a ban/flag!

By Rocky S.

9.% of those wearing a uniform in their profile pictures are scammers and fake profiles.

By Tom M.

Please be more specific about the nature of your issue. There's any number of reasons why this could be the case.

Okay. That happens sometimes

By Alexis P.

Other people can only see your messages on Interpals if they know your password. So don't give people your password and it'll be fine.

By Alexis P.

I'm not really sure. Interpals' search system has always been somewhat temperamental and kinda like a genie in the sense that you always have to make sure you've done everything just right to make sure it gives you what you want.

By Alexis P.

Hi, first usual suspects when one is being blocked/prevented from navigating onto a site can include, double check with your (internet service provider) ISP; whomever the company is that you rely upon to get online. Generally speaking, both in earlier times and still, tho nearly as common present day, so still, (a) company=ISP that is offering net access is the owner of their servers. Accordingly, again, as a general rule, As the providers, operators and owners of the servers, they customize whatever settings and the parameters therein, as they like. Other, out of the gate reasons one can be prevented, blocked, from visiting a site, 1 of the most common and still seen on a rare occasion (more so present day) may likely have something to do with the websites international laws versus some end users state, country location. Additional typical reasons, further, can be anything from a glitch? A tech error? To an oversight, say, if somewhere within the fine print there might be a proof of age needed, matter to any number of things that may also be easy to over look? To be altogether, unaware of readily. Depending on the type of website it is has the potential to cause such an issue. For example, age restrictions? (thus, there might be some documentation somewhere within the pre-intro page And mentioned in say, the fine print, so to speak. Also, the issue could have something to do with 1 or more unknown issues for the end users part e.g. unknown software issue(s) that say, may be running in the background and possibly causing the problem. Possible RESOLVES(?) Best place to start troubleshooting the mystery is definitively, to call your ISP (to include an affirmative suggestion to insist on speaking with someone in upper management (manager? Supervisor? Systems operator(s)?) and not say, first point of contact staff.

By jen a.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the InterPals.net staff and other customers.

InterPals is a friendly community of over 5 million friends, language learners, travelers and penpals. Use InterPals to meet people and travelers from other countries, practice languages with native speakers, make new friends and make your wo...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about InterPals.net?

Have a question about InterPals.net?