US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

edwardv21
3/3/16

I spent $240 Australian dollars( $170US$) for a years subscription for Guru Aid technical support. My computer had a virus so I tried to contact them (Guru Aid) and they seem to have disappeared Guru Aids phone number 1800-156-016 keeps giving me the engaged signal. I am afraid to say that I have been scammed.big time ...Edward

carolinep14
2/22/16

Spent half an hour with one of their 'techs'..Stupid me gave him access to remotely solve problem with my AVG ZEN (which was a problem in and of itself. Don't know what this tech did but my desktop became unstable and virus ridden!..he said he'd sort it out if I paid £80 or if I couldn't afford that what could I afford?..I put the phone down. What confuses me is why AVG allow themselves to be associated with Malware snipers!..One can only wonder.

judyj16
2/18/16

bought a new computer and McAfee would not load rang guru aid thinking it was connected to McAfee -they said problem would not be fixed under computer warranty but they would fix it for a price.
They did fix it but I declined the further annual fee
3 week later my computer is unusable - files have been encrypted with virus which can only be removed if money is paid
Coincidence - I think not
BE WARE

davidw315
2/16/16

I have been a user of the Guruaid service for the past 2 years.They are a fantastic service that gives professional service to resolve all issues with my pc.I would recommend them to anyone as they give excellent value for money and peace of mind when issues arise.They carry out corrective action to resolution with full satisfaction of the client.

masona8
2/1/16

THEY TOOK FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT

charlesd83
1/29/16

I can't praise GuRu Aid enough. I have never been less than pleased with the service, and the agents are so understanding of my lack of knowledge of the computer. Always thorough & don't leave 'til I'm satisfied. I give them 5 stars.

barbaral57
1/27/16

They restored the missing icons and cleaned the computer

johnm663
1/26/16

The folks I communicated with were direct and very helpful. While I hope I don't need their services again, I know that, if I do, my problems will be addressed and solved

josephw50
1/22/16

Quick, and accurate

dennisb87
1/22/16

I joined GURUAID 9 days ago and initially I was impressed and the problem I had at the time got resolved in reasonable time, unfortunately today after a second problem occurred I spent almost 7 and half hours in front of my screen. I cannot explain why but one of the service centre individuals made an incorrect acusation which totally made me very angry partivularly as I had been very patient all along. I have paid for a year contract which I certainly will use should the situation arise BUT as things are right now I will be reluctant to continue or even recommend if the gentleman or any colleague responds to me in the way he did today. The actual individual who was trying to sort my problem was most polite.

blakef7
1/19/16

Rude phishing scammers. I was looking to speed my computer up but that was not the case. The first person who I spoke to did not even seem to care and told me to stop "prank calling" and hung up. I called back and was repeatedly was put on hold for 20 minutes while he 'spoke' to his technician. The phone eventually got disconnected. I finally, got to talk to someone who I explained my situation to told me that it was no problem to fix. When I gave him my name he ended up going through his computer and told me files no files matched my name and repeatedly told me I would to repay the $200 plus bucks. I told him that I was not going to repay for some of fix I could eventually do myself ,he eventually said he would diagnose my computer and help me find my receipt on my email. He got remote access control, but I just logged off my computer as I could not be bothered with him contradicting and yelling at me all the time. Eventually, I had a local technician look at my computer and it turned out that he found corrupt files placed in my computer from the day GuruAid looked at it from somewhere overseas in India. Never use these rude, phishing, con artists.

Tip for consumers: Do NOT USE

carll32
1/18/16

I received outstanding support from GURUAID every time I have utilized their service. I would gladly recommend them to anyone.

peterw73
1/18/16

The service was thorough and very helpful.

sandraj32
1/17/16

very good service, the tech was able to fix my problem in a short time! he was excellent!!! However I did have to wait over four hours to receive service, the I got disconnected twice! this does not reflect at any way with tech! he did very well

zannr
1/14/16

Both techs I spoke with were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Problem was fixed without any hassle. Would recommend GuruAid to others.

leannec8
1/13/16

Just come off the phone to these and I must say never dealt with such rude pushy people in my life. McAfee had taken out 89.00 from my bank account without my permission so I rang this number to try and get them to cancel it as I did not want it anymore. The first person who spoke to me could not seem to be bothered with my query and put me in hold for 20 minutes while he 'spoke' to his manager as he wasn't sure what to do, I put down the phone as I knew he was probabally putting me on hold on purpose as it was 10 at night. I rang again and asked for the persons name who I was speaking to he didn't understand what I was asking him as his 'phone' line was going funny, I finally got his name and he was rather helpful at the beginning, I explained my situation that I wanted a refund and he said he could do that for me no problem, but then he started taking me through my computer and showing me files and other things that I had not rang about and repeatedly told me I would need an antivirus if he took this off, I told him that it didn't want this at the minute and would just like a refund and Mcafee taken off so I wouldn't have to pay and that I would sort something out myself,he said yes I can do that but 'look' you have all this that needs fixed, he wouldn't let me speak and continually repeated himself over and over, he then said he could put an antivirus on for free so I said well if it's free yes you can, but then said that will be an 80 charge for me to fix your computer and put that on, I said excuse me u just told me it was free?? he said no we are not mcafee and we charge to sort things out for them. I said well you never explained that to me at first before you started conning me into things that I never rang about. He then put the phone down on me and then started to message me over the computer saying there was a technical error, yeah right!! He then started messaging me continually being rather rude and obnoxious, I told him that all I wanted was a refund nothing else, he said 'that will be an 80 charge, I told him he was rude and that I would be complaining to his manager and just to leave it I would ring mcafee and get it sorted as I had been mislead off them and if he charged me I'd take it further and to the Ombudsman, he then changed his tune saying he would refund me for free. I just logged off my computer as I could not be bothered with him contradicting himself all the time. Honest never come across such a bunch of rude, pushy, ignorant con artists in all my life, they trick you into things, please ask their name and ask if there will be a charge before u ring these people when u first pick up phone because I certainly wasn't explained to that they would be charging me for talking to them. Oh and I'm apparently not their customer I'm McAfee's?? Sorry but if I ring a company to ask them to refund my money I think I am your customer.

helmuth3
1/10/16

I have the service now for a few years. They are very helpful in getting the problem fixed. The only bad part is that you must sit in front of the computer till the problem is resolved , this can take several hours. I have recommended them to several people and they are happy with the service. GuruAid was able to fix my problems. Had a problem where boot command on the computer was block and a company wanted $500.00 to release my computer. Since I was in a contract with GuruAid I paid nothing. In the long run the company saves me time and aggravation with computer problems. I call them once a month just to clean up the computer.

tomk72
1/6/16

Gureu aid has been a very good company to solve my computer needs for clean up and maintenance I have been with them for a while they have done a good job for me very satisfiedl;

cynthiah34
12/17/15

Was a little unsure of this company which I reached through trying to contact MacAfee! They are quite pushy and liable to do a hard sell, however after a lengthy seven hours with a lovely technician called Naeem Shaikh, we did achieve success on the issues that were causing me problems, so all praise to GuruAid! My only quibble is that I dislike taking on a contract and then being told shortly afterwards that it would be great to upgrade(further expense!) to an elite or premium grade! Annoying- but resist! Poor Naeem was obviously a little upset that that I refused the upgrade, however when he'd settled down a little he was super helpful and supportive! Suspect there is some pressure within the company to sell at all costs! This said, I am delighted with the service I received yesterday! Well done, GuruAid!

alberte12
12/15/15

They posed as McAfee, got me to let them connect to my computer, ran diagnostics, told me McAfee wouldn't work until they fixed "issues" on my brand new computer. Pressured me to buy $120 tuneup. Find someone else to help you!

mk85
12/10/15

I fell for the " first up" on a google search when trying to reverse a suspicious renewal bill from AVG ( I had told them NOT to renew but got a MAstercard withdrawal anyway. ) They politely claimed to fix it for me. At least an hour and a half later, yes, promises were made to refund, new ( it turned out it would have been free ) Microsoft protection installed, and clean up/ tune up would be done. They smoothly got $100 U.S. out of me by sharing my computer site and clicking the Pay Now for me and I was caught., as I had provided myMC #. BUT, they did cleanup junk and my computer works better, faster. I realized after the fact that I could have done it all myself for free. Instead I'm out $136 Can. Lesson learned.

burtieb
12/10/15

I have posted here before about the service provided by Guruaid only to be deleted which makes my slightly scepticle about the impartiality of this sight...so let's try again. I rang Guruaid believing they were a subsidiary of McAfee however I quickly realised when they tried to get me to part with even more money, that this was not the case. After remoting into my machine the diagnosis, according to GA, was harmful viruses which wouldn't allow my machine to download the software and for £80 they could solve all my problems! When I said I'd think about it that's when it got the hard sell and couldn't get them off the phone. The 'analyst' tried every trick in the book to sell me their services or suffer the Armegeddon style consequences! I then spoke directly to McAfee who said the real reason I was having issues was due to an out of date OS whereby Microsoft very quickly, and without cost, updated. So, if you have money to burn and feel like being taken for a ride....please call GuruAid!

nancyj45
12/8/15

Mr. Aniket Singh was very helpful and I appreciated his help with getting McAfee to work at installation for a subscription. He explained how it worked and made it work correctly.

andys88
11/28/15

McAfee took £69.95 out of my bank account at the end of a free trial period. I did not authorise this or give them permission to do so. I put 'McAfee customer support' into an Internet search engine and up popped Guruaid. being none the wiser I rang the number and they told me they took care of all of McAfees technical issues and that any calls to McAfee are automatically routed to them. I told them the problem and they said they would arrange an immediate refund but this would be a one off and I would continue to be charged annually. I asked how I could stop this and they said there was only one way. To secure this refund and prevent it happening in the future I would have to pay a fee of £80 for one of their technicians to remove the programmes from my computer and liase with McAfee. They said only they could do this as being part of McAfee they were the only ones who could access the product key and account numbers necessary to complete the work. I said I would take it up with McAfee and they stated any query would only be referred back to them so it was pointless. I subsequently found a phone number for McAfee UK and rang it. They immediately closed the account and refunded the £69.95 all free of charge. Guruaid are just chancers trying to make a fast buck.

owens33
11/26/15

GuruAid obviously markets itself as support for many products - I've just called them for an issue with OUTLOOK.
I was given their number by BT in the United Kingdom, as I could access my emails via a browser or on my mobile, but not on my desktop using Outlook 2007. I keep getting IMAP 'issues' which as I suspected, BT said was an issue with Outlook rather than their server/settings etc. I asked them if they could recommend somebody, as I was out of my depth, and they gave me the Guru freephone number. Great. Freephone number - nothing to lose.
When I phoned and explained my problem, there seemed to be a lot of questions, which didn't seem relevant, and a lot of reassurance that they could solve my problem, no need to worry, we will call you back if disconnected, don't call us etc etc. Then after all this reassurance the guy on the end of the phone had to "check with my supervisor that we can fix this problem" - first big Alarm Bell.
When he came back after 30 seconds and said his supervisor had confirmed that "we could solve the problem" - I thought a) he hadn't had enough time to explain and b) if your a support company, surely you will attempt to solve any problem with Outlook, and say it's a fixed fee, or payment on completion or whatever the deal is. But no, he just wanted to log into my PC. Alarm two.
I then asked that before he logged into my computer can we agree a price - how do they charge etc. He kept telling me not to worry, he would have a look first, then tell me how much it would cost to fix, and I could then decide whether to go ahead. Can you give me a rough estimate? Don't worry, their is no charge for looking!!!!!
OK, I agreed. Type in "access.guruaib.com" and press enter. Went to a blank page. We tried this many times in IE and then in Chrome. I could sense him getting agitated that it wasn't working. In hindsight, I have Bitdefender and MalwareBites installed - and wonder if they were blocking it? This was very strange - why couldn't I log onto a webpage that he was giving me.
He then told me to go to the search box above the start button, and type in "msconfig" and hit enter. I then said wait, I've got to type in the Administrator password, as I'm just logged in as a user. He wasn't best pleased. "No, I need you to be logged in as an Administrator" - to which I said I was not happy with this as that would leave my computer vulnerable. I said if any changes needed to be made, I would just type in the password. He kept insisting that this would not work - at which point I said I would not go any further until I had done some background on his company. If I was happy I would then call back.
At this point he was really angry, and told me not to ring back. I was quite taken aback, and asked him why he didn't want me to call back - "You've just wasted 18 minutes (very precise) of my time, you are calling in question my company, you want to investigate blah blah blah". I put the phone down.
Half way through the call I had to as him to talk faster, as he spoke veerryy slloowwlly, and kept repeating "a - for - apple --- i - india...." etc even though I told him I was cutting and pasting the web address, as we had check it half a dozen times. Obviously on a clock.

In summary, I don't know if not being logged in as administrator would have stopped him infecting my computer, but I think he couldn't have change major settings or installing stuff without me knowing(?), and his reaction made my mind up. Also, I am sure that you can change account settings in Outlook without being logged in Administrator mode - as I've done it myself. I think I got off lightly.

IMHO - Regards

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

7 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the GuruAid staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question