US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

lindaj91
8/8/16

I have called and sent emails and called and cannot get anyone to talk to. They put you on perpetual hold and you cannot get any satisfaction. Archives billed me fraudulently! I don't know how they did it because I did not complete the form for the free trial but I ended up being charged $9.99. They feign ignorance all the while knowingly ripping off people probably by the thousands if not the millions. There is no end to their cheating ways!!!! Do not be fooled! They will take your money fraudulently, whether you sign up or not!!!!

shirleyk29
7/21/16

why can't i cancel this service, i have been waiting forever on the phone after speaking with a customer service rep. is this a tactic to wear me down

royl39
7/18/16

I tried the free trial found nothing of use to me.and beware newspaper.com is a sister co.I got stuck with them deducting $74.90 from my bank account needless to say I am not very happy with this company.but hopefully a gentleman by the name of Justin can get this issue resolved.

marlyd
5/21/16

I signed up for a free 14 day trial 8 days ago and cancelled today. The site is useless. I tested it with several names of people, both living and dead, who I know are on record in the U.S. and out of 7 or 8, I got one actual result. Also, if you do see something you want to check into, you have to open new accounts to view anything. It's such a scam!! Now, when I went to cancel my account, it shows I signed up for a $9.99 monthly membership with a free 14 day trial. They better not try to charge me ANYTHING! Please tell everyone you know to avoid this scam site!

elishaf10
5/21/16

I signed up for a free 7 day trial with archive.com. I wasn't all that impressed with the results, but decided to give it a try a bit longer figuring it might be useful the further I got into my family history. About six months later I realized I had forgot to cancel and they were still billing me every month. Completely my fault and so I took care of it. I thought anyway. Got a confirmation email after I canceled and figured everything was fine.

I am the only one with access to my debit card and I admit I don't check the statements frequently. So today when I got online to take a look I realized they had been billing me this entire time. I called the number and was on hold for over 10 minutes. When I finally got someone, she acted like I was a complete idiot. She was rude and pretty much immediately went on the defense saying that it was my fault for not checking my bank statements regularly! (I got the feeling that this isn't the first time they have had this complaint, as she got defensive before she even took a look at my account.)

I gave her my email so she could check the account and she found where the account had been canceled. Yet instead of apologizing and agreeing to refund the money, she told me that the most she could do was refund the past three months, as it was against company policy to do more than that.

I asked her how she can justify that when it was obvious that the account had been canceled and they were basically stealing money from me.

Her reply "There is no way for us to know that you are still being billed as we don't have access to your bank statements. Had you checked your statements and brought it to our attention this all could have been avoided."

I did agree to the refund for three months, but I do not intend to let this go. This website is nothing but a scam and they should be shut down! There is no telling how many other people they have done this too. For me I'm currently out around $80 for an account that I never got one single record from and that I made sure to cancel.

Also want to point out that removing your debit/credit card information from your archives account does nothing! They have that information and will continue billing you even with the information removed.

kathiev
4/16/16

Avoid this website https://www.archives.com/au I signed up for a free trial (14 day) Cancelled after 3 days as it was absolutely useless. They charged my credit card $14.99. The following month I was charged again even though I contacted the admin and requested my account be cancelled. I disputed the transactions on my credit card how ever the bank was unable to stop the debit each month. After 4 months I was advised to cancel my credit card as it was the only way to stop archives from charging my account each month. What a waste of money. Please do not sign up to this web site.

kj175
3/17/16

I signed up for the "free 10 day trial" Within 10 minutes I realized that I could not find even the simplest most recent records. I cancelled the account. We'll see if I get charged. I emailed them on how to delete my account and here is there answer:
Thank you for contacting Archives.com in regard to deleting your account.

"We apologize for any confusion or frustration in this matter. For auditing and accounting purposes, we are unable to delete accounts from our systems."

They're site is not helpful and I suspect I will have to fight not to get charged for multiple months.....STAY AWAY!!!!

kyleh47
3/7/16

Newspapers.com are like EA games using *grey* laws to get your money and possibly your heart if you poured a lot of research into it.

They are a prime example of greedy capitalists and greed in general causing capitalism to put itself out of business. Greed is out of control and we are in the *fourth generation* of businesses. Look it up and the signs are not good.

I think that Newspaper Archives now archives.com have secret backings or they would be out of business.

dorothyg24
1/26/16

I signed up for a trial and am now receiving a charge every month for $7.95. I've tried to cancel but the web site doesn't work, and when you call the phone number, you just sit on hold indefinitely waiting to talk to someone - and no one ever appears on the phone. I am going to contact my credit card company and also the Better Business Bureau!

susanl104
1/7/16

this is the worst site ever. can't get anyone on phone. can't sign in to "easily" cancel my subscription because the site doesn't recognize my email address and/or password, i went to reset but they are telling me my email address is invalid, it isthe only one I have. i have now been on hold for 10 minutes as i type this. i have a dispute in with paypal because i refuse to give them any more money, and the ONLY reason they got 3 months out of me is because they are impossible to get a hold of. do not use this site.

williama71
12/1/15

I needed a copy of MY marriage license entered all my info, was told to sign up for free 15 day trial. went to get paper work They did not even have it. CANCELED with in 10 min after setting up and STILL billed for a month of service $9.99 Bull$#*!! company Paypal said they have had many complaints on them

kathym74
11/19/15

STAY AWAY FROM ARCHIVES.COM. I signed up for 1 month trial and appropriately cancelled. Found they have since billed my business charge card for 5 months. They weren't even consecutive months! I emailed them and they replied back that I had not cancelled correctly! My account info also said 'no charge card info'... so how had they charged the 5 months. Yikes.

nancyk40
11/8/15

I have requested month after month after month to cancel my membership and I continue to have my bank account drained. They owe me well over $100.00 at this point. Probably closer to $200.00 DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!!!! You have been warned

selahb
11/8/15

I sent an email to cancel. And they charged my card! I will dispute with PayPal. Ripoff. The information is minimal and directs you to othe pay sites.

oganesa
11/1/15

The site doesn't work. It's got so many technical glitches it's ridiculous. Why would anyone pay for such a service.

stephenl51
10/29/15

Just realized,after looking at my banking statement closely, that this RIP OFF COMPANY had been debting my acct since last February. $7.95 a month and it's the principle of the matter. I didn't authorize this!! Apparently in the small print. I called the company and got the scripted runaround from reps and supervisor. Do not give them your business!!!

kathyr44
10/12/15

SCAMMERS,SCAMMERS. THEY ARE THE SAME AS SOMEONE HACKING INTO YOUR ACCOUNTS AND STEALING YOUR MONEY.

lisap113
9/27/15

I canceled my membership, but they still charged my account. I am disputing the charge with PayPal and going to contact the Better Business Bureau.

mindyt1
9/1/15

I was searching for information on myy grandfather and Archives.com showed that they had found the information I was looking for. It showed an official looking document with my grandfather's name on it but over the body of the form was the Archives for that said that I would have to sign up for a membership to view the file. So I did only when the document opened it was for a woman from Kentucky not my grandfather from Mississippi. I realized this was a fraudulent company and immediately email them to cancel my membership. The next day I followed up with a phone call since I had received several emails over night welcoming me but no acknowledgement of the cancellation. I was assured the account was cancelled.
Today I noticed that they had billed my account. So I called and got some very rude woman, Holley who very impolitely explained to me that this was my fault because I had multiple accounts with them over the years and that when I cancelled this membership it had been applied to an account that I opened in July last year (I was on a "no technology" vacation in a mountain cabin at the time and couldn't have opened this account). I pointed out that I had not been billed in all this time and she then tells me that that account was closed by email immediately after opening. So, why would the cancellation I requested in August of 2015 be applied to a closed account from July 2014? No answer for that and she will process the claim to refund my charges - in 3-5 business days not immediately.
Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM ARCHIVES.COM!!!!

annam122
8/26/15

We are sending in complaints to the FBI, the Utah State AG, the CA State AG, the BBB, as this is a shell front for identity thieves.

They operate by sending your request for data to a legitimate site, returning those records, then you sign up, and as they have nothing else nothing to offer, they request you enter your Card again, for the SIlver Gold or Platinum service, and if you do, there's always nothing, and another sign up "come-on".

We have all their email responses, and our email promises to take them to court. We have been told they are a front for very clever IDENTITY THIEVES. Remember this fraudulent service is one people think is legit, and enter sensitive family information...

If you have given them your credit card, contact your financial institution, have it cancelled IMMEDIATELY. And watch for unusal charges.

louiseb39
8/26/15

I went to sign up for this site but part way through realised it was US only and they wanted my card details. I didn't finish the set up and would have cancelled straight away if I had. I have never logged in nor made even 1 search - until I noticed they were billing me anyway each month! Then I logged in and saw indeed I had never used it and it was no use to me, I know they are part of Ancestry.com who do have my card details. I tried customer services but the rep called Heather was unhelpful and bordering on totally rude - the answer being along the lines of "tough we have your money, haha!"

johnj203
8/25/15

Archives.com signs up for 7 day "free" trial. Their information collections are weak at best and they know. They try and charge you a full month, NON_REFUNDABLE fee on the last day of the 7 day "free" trial. When you call in they give you a schtick about memberships being non-refundable. When you push for a supervisor intervention they put you on hold, refund the money and then leave you on hold as some sort of juvenile punishment. They know you won't be back for a second month so they bottom feed off the first ill gotten first month's fee. If you don't mind being ripped off by all means sign up with Archives.com, better yet buy a car from Larry H. Miller!

maryb167
7/8/15

Trying to obtain a Death Certificate for a relative for genealogy and family medical history purposes. The state where she died said go to the county where the death occurred and contact them OR click on this site. I clicked on the site, filled in the info (credit card included) and ZAM! Charged almost $80! I thought, "Wait a minute! This must be cheaper from the county" so I went to the county, found out it was 1/4 that amount, and within 5 min called the 1-800# to cancel. "No problem!" was the response. Imagine my surprise when I got an email a week later from archives.com (did not know this was even the company before) saying they would refund me all but $15 because "we charge a $15 search fee if the order is cancelled before it is submitted for processing." What?! That means they take your $15 for doing nothing and before they even have a chance to do nothing! I contacted their "Customer Service" and got a wooden response. He couldn't adequately explain how they can legally do this, nor would he even consider crediting me. I had to contact my bank who are accepting it as a disputed charge and will kick it back. Awfully close to fraud....

pjw3
6/24/15

I did the free "test" search on my ggrandfather's name which indicated document were available within the Archives database. Once I paid for a membership and did the same search, NO documents were in their database for the same name. False advertising! Then I did a search on my ggrandmother, birth entered as 1840 +/- 2yrs.. Archives search engine returned 101 hits! 100 of the 101 were from the "LIVE persons" database (the other one was on the surname itself). This would make my grandmother 175 years old. NOTHING about her should be located here. This site is a major waste of money and a scam. I GAVE THIS SITE ONE STAR BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT ACCEPT ZERO STARS.

pattis10
6/22/15

I could not get any information from this site.....worthless!!

15 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Archives staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question