Review of Archives

Tel: 1-800-378-2092
feedback@archives.com

elizabetho49
7/9/17

This site is totally worthless. I attempted to find the records of 3 ancestors who I definitely knew were in the Civil War and 1 ancestor who was in the Revolutionary War, this site had NO records for all 4 of my ancestors. Total waste of money and time.

non275
7/5/17

I would say that this informtiion was very helpful in honestly educating me About this website and providing pure thought of interest in saving a curious and unsure soul from being at the clutches of being the prey of a corporate cyber bot programmed to provide as little information as possible about why your card payment is needed and to let consumers assume that it's q safety net just like YouTube red and put an ongoing payment on there that's not traceable because there is not any documents showing proof of approving these contracts and therefor going through legal loopholes with criminal activity enough to be within legal rights of the law just barely, if u are not educated on the fact that a written document should always be saved on both end then the consumer freely cknowldges that they are providing a set payment after there free trial legally bonded in the authorization notes to electronically submit the monthly payments directly from the consumers bank account every month without any notice before hand, your litterally saying here's a key to my house you can crash for about a month and help me out around the house and then they move in permenatley start wearing your clothes eating all of your food and asking for money because they will pay u back but really they are squatter scammers that find loopholes in the law to legally move in your territory and legally build a case aginst u and resulting them to legally take your assets because of the rights of others, $#*!in a man same $#*! it's all a scam no matter what terminology it is and a good lawer will go to bat for you if u are being screws and have legal evidence so save and document everything because we the people will not be scammed!

karenv42
7/3/17

I too have been scammed by archives.com they have been charging me 19.95 per month as far back as my online bank statement gives out. I wonder if anyone knows if we have any legal recourse to prosecute these people

berniek23
6/19/17

This Archive.com scam is operated by Ancestry.com .Sir John Rogerson Quay. Dublin Ireland.
What ever they say they are the same conmen/women who operate both companies. I thought I had cancelled my subscription 12 months ago but on going through my statements I discovered to my dismay they are still taking £8.95 monthly payments from my account.
I believe my bank must be partly responsible for allowing this to happen and I will be taking it up with them today.

josephk91
6/5/17

Completely unscrupulous. I cancelled their service, got a confirmation email, and then they still tried to bill my card for a renewal. If you are somehow in their clutches, I seriously recommend that you cancel your credit card - I don't know another way to be sure.

jans146
5/18/17

I singed up for the free trial but could not access the site. When I contacted them to cancel, they responded that they had no registration for me, I must not have completed the registration. A month later they deducted $14.99 from my account which appeared as a payment to Dublin Archives. I emailed telling them to refund me and cancel registration and they replied saying they have no record of my email address and could I forward more details. I tried to ring the number they provided but it's incomplete or incorrect! When I contacted my bank I was told the only way I can stop them is by cancelling my debit card which I am doing asap. I was also advised that because I didn't receive a receipt I probably wont be able to get my money back. Total scam! Only gave them 1 star because I couldn't post without it.

donnam202
5/7/17

I hate archives.com. On hold for 20 minutes to cancel. Not the same as ancestry.com. Originally signed up for ancestry.com; tired to use for professional research. Terrible.

jeriw5
4/18/17

Just realized they have been taking money out of my checking account for months. Shame on me for not being more vigilant. Don't know how they got my account. Something very fishy. Spoke to a rep instead of selecting the number to cancel. Want my money back. May call my bank to claim fraudulent charges.

Tip for consumers: Don't.

basiao
4/6/17

TO GIVE THEM " ONE STAR " I CALL OVERRATING IT IS TOTALY SCAM.

LET'S GET TOGETHER TO PROSECUTE THEM

amronn
3/24/17

Add us to list of the scammed. We already contacted the bank and they credited us the first time but they allowed them to continue to take out the same amount AGAIN this month. And adding to that, our bank is now refusing to help saying we should have contacted the company which everyone seems to agree is next to impossible. Is there anyone of legal authority that would be willing to take them out?

ninad27
1/27/17

This site is still taking payments from my Bank even though I cancelled(or believed I did) my free trial.
I want to apply for a refund of the money they have taken however when I attempt to sign in I get the message that they do not recognise my email address.
How on earth do I get through to these people?

Tip for consumers: Steer Clear

richl33
11/21/16

I sent away for a certified copy of a divorce decree from the state of Arizona, and 4 weeks later received a copy of someone else's distribution of assets after death? I lm confused why their customer service refuses to respond.

marys414
11/15/16

I cancelled my membership or so I thought until today to find they had taken a further subscription got in touch with my bank who are now in the process of cancelling this for me I feel this is the only way to go

peterm219
10/24/16

This site is definately committing fraud. They charge way too much for something you can do yourself. Many are not aware of this. Stay far away from them. They ripped me off good and then hid in the "free trial" language that they charge a recurring fee. Total fraud. When I called them about it, archives.com was arrogant too and refused to credit my card. I got them though with my bank...who will not tolerate the likes of them. Hasta la vista archives.com.

timothya23
9/30/16

I have never signed up for even a trial but this site has somehow obtained my bank card details and charges me monthly for services I do not want and have never asked for. That is fraud of a criminal sort and the site ought to be shut down.

juliem154
9/19/16

I thought I had gone through the Ohio state website to obtain my father's and mother's death certificates. I was asked for my bank card details for a 14 day free trail but would be charged for a moth's trail at $9.99 after a month. When I tried to access the website firstly it told me to sign in did not recognise my email and could not get a password change (didn't ask me for a password to begin with!). And the only way you can cancel the membership is to sign in or call Utah! Unfortunately I couldn't do that from my mobile phone in Scotland. So I have just called my bank and blocked any payment to archives.com. Angry. Frustrated. Time wasted. No further forward. Scammers??? Feels like it to me

ednar16
9/10/16

Thought I was on a county website to order copy of marriage certificate - somehow got to Archives.com/Ancestry.com. Charged $39.78 for two copies with 2-3 weeks mailing time. Immediately cancelled, but was told items already ordered and couldn't cancel. Called county office and ordered two copies for $4.00 and SASE with maybe a week mailing time after check received.

lindaj91
8/8/16

I have called and sent emails and called and cannot get anyone to talk to. They put you on perpetual hold and you cannot get any satisfaction. Archives billed me fraudulently! I don't know how they did it because I did not complete the form for the free trial but I ended up being charged $9.99. They feign ignorance all the while knowingly ripping off people probably by the thousands if not the millions. There is no end to their cheating ways!!!! Do not be fooled! They will take your money fraudulently, whether you sign up or not!!!!

shirleyk29
7/21/16

why can't i cancel this service, i have been waiting forever on the phone after speaking with a customer service rep. is this a tactic to wear me down

royl39
7/18/16

I tried the free trial found nothing of use to me.and beware newspaper.com is a sister co.I got stuck with them deducting $74.90 from my bank account needless to say I am not very happy with this company.but hopefully a gentleman by the name of Justin can get this issue resolved.

marlyd
5/21/16

I signed up for a free 14 day trial 8 days ago and cancelled today. The site is useless. I tested it with several names of people, both living and dead, who I know are on record in the U.S. and out of 7 or 8, I got one actual result. Also, if you do see something you want to check into, you have to open new accounts to view anything. It's such a scam!! Now, when I went to cancel my account, it shows I signed up for a $9.99 monthly membership with a free 14 day trial. They better not try to charge me ANYTHING! Please tell everyone you know to avoid this scam site!

elishaf10
5/21/16

I signed up for a free 7 day trial with archive.com. I wasn't all that impressed with the results, but decided to give it a try a bit longer figuring it might be useful the further I got into my family history. About six months later I realized I had forgot to cancel and they were still billing me every month. Completely my fault and so I took care of it. I thought anyway. Got a confirmation email after I canceled and figured everything was fine.

I am the only one with access to my debit card and I admit I don't check the statements frequently. So today when I got online to take a look I realized they had been billing me this entire time. I called the number and was on hold for over 10 minutes. When I finally got someone, she acted like I was a complete idiot. She was rude and pretty much immediately went on the defense saying that it was my fault for not checking my bank statements regularly! (I got the feeling that this isn't the first time they have had this complaint, as she got defensive before she even took a look at my account.)

I gave her my email so she could check the account and she found where the account had been canceled. Yet instead of apologizing and agreeing to refund the money, she told me that the most she could do was refund the past three months, as it was against company policy to do more than that.

I asked her how she can justify that when it was obvious that the account had been canceled and they were basically stealing money from me.

Her reply "There is no way for us to know that you are still being billed as we don't have access to your bank statements. Had you checked your statements and brought it to our attention this all could have been avoided."

I did agree to the refund for three months, but I do not intend to let this go. This website is nothing but a scam and they should be shut down! There is no telling how many other people they have done this too. For me I'm currently out around $80 for an account that I never got one single record from and that I made sure to cancel.

Also want to point out that removing your debit/credit card information from your archives account does nothing! They have that information and will continue billing you even with the information removed.

kathiev
4/16/16

Avoid this website https://www.archives.com/au I signed up for a free trial (14 day) Cancelled after 3 days as it was absolutely useless. They charged my credit card $14.99. The following month I was charged again even though I contacted the admin and requested my account be cancelled. I disputed the transactions on my credit card how ever the bank was unable to stop the debit each month. After 4 months I was advised to cancel my credit card as it was the only way to stop archives from charging my account each month. What a waste of money. Please do not sign up to this web site.

kj175
3/17/16

I signed up for the "free 10 day trial" Within 10 minutes I realized that I could not find even the simplest most recent records. I cancelled the account. We'll see if I get charged. I emailed them on how to delete my account and here is there answer:
Thank you for contacting Archives.com in regard to deleting your account.

"We apologize for any confusion or frustration in this matter. For auditing and accounting purposes, we are unable to delete accounts from our systems."

They're site is not helpful and I suspect I will have to fight not to get charged for multiple months.....STAY AWAY!!!!

dorothyg24
1/26/16

I signed up for a trial and am now receiving a charge every month for $7.95. I've tried to cancel but the web site doesn't work, and when you call the phone number, you just sit on hold indefinitely waiting to talk to someone - and no one ever appears on the phone. I am going to contact my credit card company and also the Better Business Bureau!

Helpful answer

They were taking $$$ from my debit card. I couldn't cancel online or over the phone. Each one directed me back to the other. I finally called my bank to see if they would stop payment. My only option was to cancel my debit card and wait a week without one. That's what I did. I'll never signup for a free trial again.

By Tom S. on 7/15/15
Helpful answer

I thought I was charged $19.99 but I could be mistaken.

By Mindy T. on 11/27/15
Helpful answer

If you just want a months service to look for a quick specific thing, it's 14.00. If you want to take the plunge and pay for a whole year at once , it's $39

By Nancy K. on 4/22/16
Helpful answer

I haven't beyond 2 generic emails. They say they can't find my account. The website lists my account as cancelled,and yet they managed to charge my card every month.

By Nancy K. on 2/7/16
Helpful answer

Go to the court where you filed for divorce, the clerk should be able to help you.

By JOSE L. on 5/11/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the Archives staff and other customers.

3 Photos for Archives