US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

francism41
8/24/16

Angie's list is USELESS. It's a smooth CON, and it caught me. One time. After that, I knew better. Low and behold, in my inbox I now have an email relating to a class action lawsuit involving Angie's List. "Moore versus Angie's List." Involving the mysterious fact that certain companies with glowing reviews, ALSO paid hefty advertising fees to... (wait for it, wait for it) (BONNNGGGGG.... went the big brass bell)...ANGIE'S LIST. Talk about ethically challenged. The "company denies wrongdoing." I'm sure the are denying it all the way to the bank.
In my case, I was furious with an East Texas handyman/builder, by the name of Drew Wagstaff from Hemphill, who had caused me endless grief. Like disappearing with half the roof off a house, open to the elements, rain forecast. Where WAS he? Drunk, locked up in gaol, for beating up his wife. I also discovered materials missing. Plus a minor fact of double invoicing to the tune of $1,500. I joined ANGIE's LIST specifically to warn other consumers against this rogue handyman. Paid my fee. Somehow, naively, I thought that nice smiling Angie (everybody's dream mother-in-law, right) (didn't we all have an old flame named Angie once?) would assist me in revealing to the East Texas world that this 'handyman' was a snake. That's what I assumed. Nope. They refused to print the negative review. I didn't cuss, I didn't use profanity, I didn't even sneak in my virulent anti-Hillary sentiments. I factually pointed out the facts. Nope. They wouldn't print it. I queried it. No response. I queried it adamantly. WHERE is my negative review of a Mister Drew Wagstaff from Hemphill, Texas? Eventually... I got what SEEMED to be a personal email, addressed to me personally by a person. (more on this below). The gist of the message was that Angie's List wished the experience of their users to be a pleasant and positive one. It appeared, that my NEGATIVE REVIEW, did not jibe with their avowed borderline religious dedication to said goal of 'pleasant' and 'positive'. Say, WHAT!? I joined Angie's List (and paid my money) to read up on GOOD reviews, and be warned by BAD reviews, and, in this case, to post a SCATHINGLY BAD review. Now you are telling me I can't post a BAD REVIEW?? WHAT, Angie sweetheart, did I just pay my G@#$%!!M Money for? Apart from helping you pay for your super slick Television advertising?
I persisted, with several emails, complaining in no uncertain terms. I'm a writer of sorts, with four books published (see Smashwords) including two novels. I am capable of digging in, and being tenacious.Soon I got more of these emails, from other seemingly human creatures, even the same names, but all oddly unaware of the fact that they had already written to me. It was then that the penny clicked. Or dropped, whatever pennies do. These were not emails from PEOPLE. These were MACHINE GENERATED emails. Rotating randomly from a fixed batch, with the hoped for result of fooling & placating all sorts of annoyed people. Other schmucks like me, that had actually PAID IN to that garbage. Angie's LIst is a smooth CON. They probably don't want to run negative reviews so they A) don't get into any legal hassles and B) can collect the advertising fees.
The fact that, according to the class action law suit, there is an amazing correlation between (doubtless, generous) advertisers and FIVE STAR REVIEWS, just further convinces me to take some minutes out of my schmuck life, and VENT on SITEJABBER in no uncertain terms what I think of ANGIE. (who is probably the trainee office cleaner, seconded in to give us all that warm, fuzzy feeling)
ANGIE'S LIST IS A CON. SMOOTH, but USELESS. ACCEPTING MONEY FROM ADVERTISERS WHO THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO "REVIEW" IS HIGHLY UNETHICAL. COMBINED WITH A PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF REFUSING NEGATIVE REVIEWS, THAT MAKES IT JUST ANOTHER TACKY SWINDLE.
And so says I.

susanp119
7/25/16

I compared reviews on the site to reviews found on Google's site and other places after having inferior services provided by apparently highly rated businesses. Noticed they were rated much lower on other locations.
I would use it for small deals that cannot do much harm, but careful with big ticket items, the ratings do not seem to match with the quality of work.

danaf17
5/25/16

Angies List of A rated companies is a total falsehood and could result in
a customer receiving poor quality recommendations from their A list rated
business in quality of service etc. I already had a problem from a
Angie List prior suggestions of they claim are A rated based on
many reviews posted on their web-site. My recent experience from
Angies List less than three days ago resulted as nearly cheated
from a service charge by their A rated company!
I contacted Angies List first to mention how horrible this A rated company
and then had to contact my credit card company and dispute any
the 98.00 service charge for NO SERVICE ever performed,
not to mention the company plumbers arrived late!
I had a clogged drain in my bathtub that needed service
for showering etc. No labor was ever performed when I was
immediately told by one plumber this is a service charge only!
I practically threw those scams from my home out my door.
Less than two minutes later the doorbell range and the plumbers
demanded I pay them the 98.00 service charge. I used a
credit card ( THANK GOODNESS). I will not detail how
stressful an this ordeal became for nearly another
three days, not to mention a had to have another
plumber fix the clogged drain, they were nice
and the price was reasonable. The problem is
things happened too fast thanks thanks to that
A rated Angies List of local plumbers.!
My advice and others is go on Google
and check for services companies
you need in a situation.!
I definitely give Angies List an A rating A--holes!

Dana

victord25
5/17/16

We have 43 "A" reviews, and because of this we were nominated and received a Super Service Award for 2015. But I received a letter today stating they will no longer show their paying customers our name or phone number unless we pay Angie's List too. This seems unethical to me, people are paying to see our company and Angie's List is instead giving them bad companies without all of our good reviews but pay them ahead of ours. And now we have to pay Angie's List to show our company to people who paid to see our company. Purely from an ethical standpoint, Angie's List is not a company I would ever pay.

martyk13
4/14/16

This is coming from the other side of the fence I guess you can say. I'm a contractor being scammed by Angies List. When I first signed up, everything was fine, I was near the top of the list, scored all A's for my reviews, by the way, we are a licensed contracting company in business for over 65 years, 3rd generation family owned. We were getting quite a few calls for estimates and work. After about 6 months, they contacted us and wanted to feature my company as a premium company with high ratings in their magazine. I said fine, filled out all the paperwork, than they wanted $350. I laughed and asked are you serious? I declined that and the next day we were dropped down almost 400 contractors in our area. I left it alone, we were still getting calls, plus all of my regular customers and accounts were still keeping us busy. Another 3 months go by, they call and are asking me to advertise to get more leads, Absolutely crazy fees. I declined, and 2 days later our company is magically removed from the listing. I called to complain and they say they don't do that, but I should be advertising with them, again trying to get cash out of us. Every 3 months or so, they will put up our listing for a few days, I get flooded with calls, and than they remove it. They call every week to get us to advertise. A complete scam for contractors

roseannz
3/22/16

First, I need to explain that I never used Angie's List before, but I needed to find a Pulmonary doctor and an Endocrinologist. First I had to sign up and pay for Angie's List. Then, to my disgust, I found that I had to pay MORE to look up doctors. I wasn't able to preview the Doctor's lists until I had already paid. The straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that there were only 2 doctors in each category (I did this in Fall of 2015). NONE of these doctors had ANY REVIEWS listed, so I and no idea if these were good doctors, knowledgable in their specialties. They just might have paid Angie to get on her list, for all I knew!! I thought Angie's List only provided info on doctors, plumbers, electricians, etc who were reviewed and found to be good.
The plus side is that immediately after seeing that Angie's List was worthless to me, I contacted them and told them to cancel my membership (within 1/2 hour of joining), and they did!!!! I also was refunded my money. Alleluia!
On an annoying side, I kept on getting numerous emails and offers to subscribe for months after I cancelled! I had to constantly unsubscribe.
Angie's List may be OK if you are looking for plumbers, contractors, etc (or maybe AL is NOT good). But if your health is at stake, don't hope that Angie's List will be able to help you!

richardd104
2/19/16

You get routed to providers that PAY to be listed. Don't fall for the scam.

asimt
10/26/15

After some of my clients add a very positive review of my services, AngiesList contacted me and offered 1 of 4 spots on certain service areas and calling center. But shortly after I signed up, my listing went to 10th and soon 20th. Iy was in the first page, but it was sorted so many ways, paid and unpaid companies are all listed. Paying over $300 a month has no advantage over unpaid companies. I have called and cancelled my listing but hit with early termination fees.I have given misleading information and promises that was totally wrong.

henryd29
8/3/15

It's hard to find reputable contractors and service people. Angieslist member reviews are generally credible and it's an excellent resource if you are looking for a repairman. I have used them several times and have not been disappointed. However Angieslist don't publish a price for the service on their home page - you have to go through the Join process... or dig deep in the site... I think I originally joined for $14.99... last year they auto-renewed me for $39 and they would have auto-renewed me again this year at that rate, yet I have just found out that the current annual rate is $9.99. Very deceptive. And totally against their concept of helping consumers find good services. I got a pro-rated refund but wish I did not have to go that route to get a fair price.

I must say that having read other reviews here, I find it scary that the reviews you post are not truly anonymous, that the vendor you have reviewed is given your information and not only respond to the review, they can call you up and harass you if you give them a bad review. I hope you can then post that info on you Angieslist review. I understand the issue that a vindictive reviewer can destroy someone's business but if you have an unsatisfactory experience you should be able to state your case without harassment.

patriciab60
6/16/15

I found Angie's LIst to be pretty reliable when it comes to recommending repair and home improvement companies. Our refrigerator blew up last week and I was getting the runaround to get someone to come out that day. I located a couple of likely candidates on AL. The first one was VERY apologetic that they couldn't make it out that day, but the other guy said "no problem," SHOWED UP WHEN HE SAID HE WOULD, promptly fixed what was wrong and had extremely reasonable prices. We also found the contractor who repainted the inside of our condo, also prompt, friendly, thorough and reasonably priced. Yes, there will always be ratings boosters on sites like this, but everyone I know who's used AL has had a good experience with it.

patc57
6/15/15

Needed a handyman to do about $1,0000 worth of work. Couldn't even get 1 to come to my house. They just responded they weren't interested in what I wanted done.

sharonm71
2/10/15

I can't believe any one could rate this less than 5 stars. I have had nothing but great experiences with Angie's List. I have been able to use highly rated service providers plus take advantage of the "Big Deals" they send out. I have saved absolutely hundreds of dollars on services that I needed with this site. The service providers I have used have been so courteous and service oriented, always making sure I am a satisfied customer. To date I have used bath tub refinishing, window washing, roofing service, weekly pool cleaning service and a pool plaster & tile cleaning specialist.

melissas39
2/9/15

I paid for a three year subscription after a friend told me how much she liked AL. I needed a concrete and garage door contractor and contacted only the ones listed with an "A" rating in my area. I scheduled several to come out and give me quotes. Wow, what a terrible experience. Only two of the five concrete contractors were professional. The others were very unprofessional and one even hung up on me because he had enough business for the season. Yikes, way to burn a bridge brainiac (being very sarcastic here) I would have waited until next year if he was not so obnoxious. I posted one review giving the person that replaced my garage door a fair review (not bad but fair...to get a good review, you have to be good). Angie's list apparently lets them know about the review and I am guessing who posted it because the garage door contactor called me stating I better change my review and proceeded to argue with me for 40 minutes until I told him he was acting like a bully and I was going to hang up. He did not say, I'm sorry I over charged you or was unprofessional but started out threatening that I better change the review. He acted like a bully and it was not what I needed in response to posting my honest review of his work. I would really like to know how these individuals get all these good reviews (friends maybe) because I did not have any luck finding a decent contractor on the site.

sheilat11
11/28/14

SCAM what kind of website charges people to leave reviews AND generates further income by using ads? Angie's list. what a joke the idea that charging for a review is going to deter fake reviews is just another way of saying only business owners/contractors are going to want to leave reviews under pretend names, to increase their business.

kathleenr6
9/15/14

Against my better judgement, I bought the membership, so that I could find new businesses in my area to go to and to warn/praise others. EVERY SINGLE negative review I have left has been deleted, claiming that they went against the posting guidelines, when I know for a fact they didn't.

When I posted about a tow company that gave my mother one quote when he arrived, and another 500 bucks more expensive after it was already towed, it was removed. All I said was that business standards like that are tantamount to a scam, and that they wouldn't get our service again.

I knew I shouldn't have trusted a company with as bad of marks as Angie's list.

toddp11
8/25/14

Just as was said in another post, "Angie's List charges users for what other review sites provide free, with the suggestion that its reviews are thereby more reliable." If you decline to register, they still spam you with registration discounts. What a scam. You would think that this site would be a little more socially-minded.

Tip for consumers: Do your own research. Google has an amazing amount of information.

kco
5/11/14

I had a great experience with both a roofer and Hvac company thru AL but you need to be aware of the "BIG DEAL" which I found to be pretty much a scam.

You get "set up" with a pretty low price for a a set number of hours ex. 6 hours of yard work for $200 (two workers 3 hours each). Fine, but when you actually have the company show up what you want done is NEVER 6 hours....NEVER! So you have spent the time to set up a site visit and find out that it will take 4-5 hours of work for the two people with an additional charge of $200. NOW it's $400 the "BID DEAL" isn't anymore!!!!

This had happened to me 4 times for various work. IGNORE ANY AL DEAL THAT HAS A SET PRICE FOR HOURS WORKED. YOU WILL NEVER GET THAT "DEAL PRICE" IT'S SIMPLY A SCAM TO GET A FOOT IN THE DOOR.
Only use AL for a set price for a set job...the movable hours idea is total crap!

richardj5
3/20/14

Angie's List charges users for what other review sites provide free, with the suggestion that its reviews are thereby more reliable. I've found however that there's no reason to believe that its reviews are superior in any way. Furthermore, to participate you have to accept a membership agreement that can have huge negative consequences for you (see below). And unless you're really careful you'll find you're signed up in perpetuity, paying a new membership fee each year.

Before writing this critique I purchased a membership, studied its materials, and also as a journalist interviewed spokesperson Cheryl Reid by phone.

Angie seeks to minimize ringer listings (reviews by the reviewees) by "proprietary" means which may include cross-checking reviewers' phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, etc. Angie also restricts the number of reviews of a single provider coming from one user—but I couldn't discern much if any protection against a merchant's attempting to buy off bad reviews by offering incentives to the reviewers to withdraw them.

Particularly worrisome is the fact that Angie will without prompting reveal to each service provider the identity of every reviewer of that provider's service. After I discovered this practice I asked a rep about it. The rep boasted that no lawsuit against a reviewer had prevailed. The rep would not say how many lawsuits had been filed. Of course, defending even against lawsuits that fail can be extremely costly, stressful, and time-consuming. "Reputation protection" services have of late become quite popular, and there is a dismaying probability of lawsuits from negative reviews. There's also the fact that a consumer may continue with a problematic provider (like a physician specialist for example) rather than take a chance with a competitor. In such instances the consumer may be reluctant to write a review even partially negative, knowing that the provider will be reading the review.

The likely result of Angie's notification policy is all but the most positive reviews will be self-suppressed or at least toned down, affecting seriously the reliability of Angie's List assessments.

Angie's List does accept advertising from listed providers who wish to offer discounts, and it reportedly solicits that advertising aggressively. Members may choose to search for providers offering these discounts, which purportedly don't otherwise affect the listings or their placement. They're available only from A- and B-rated providers.

***Membership agreements***

You must agree to Angie's privacy policy before joining. This document takes up an excruciatingly long page of tiny text, essentially impossible to get through and harder yet to comprehend. However: the super-diligent will note that buried in the interminable fine print is permission for Angie to disclose *any* information "permitted by relevant law." (So why all the fine print? Guess.)

The general membership agreement makes you liable for "liquidated damages" of up to $10,000.00—yes, ten thousand dollars—for a single violation of its terms, which cover such issues as how you use the reviews. These terms are about as easy to understand as those of the privacy policy. Moreover, you incredibly must agree in advance to any changes in the agreement made without notice to you.

(On the other hand, Angie is not at all strict about fulfilling its own membership obligations. The same membership agreement states without qualification that "Monthly and annual memberships include a subscription to the Angie’s List monthly magazine." Yet in over a year I never received a single issue. When I inquired, I was told that magazines aren't sent to those with my class of membership—but that I was free to upgrade.)

Many members will be surprised to learn that they've signed up for membership in perpetuity. Angie's memberships are opt-out, that is, automatically renewed and re-charged, until the member affirmatively resigns. You can opt out of the opt-out when signing up—but if you do, get confirmation in writing!

***Site navigation and customer service***

Site navigation is quirky and sometimes frustrating. Customer service is highly accessible and friendly but too often clueless, and simple inquiries can consume half an hour or more.

***Bottom line***

I don't advise joining unless (a) you realize that Angie's reviews are skewed to the positive, (b) you're unconcerned about your privacy, (c) you're willing to wade through the extensive and opaque general membership agreement, (d) you're prepared to re-read the changeable agreement before taking any action related to the service, and (e) before joining you've opted out from automatic renewal, and have written confirmation in hand.

nafeesaha
12/29/13

I keep getting spam emails and occassional print literature from Angie's List to join when I am not interested in joining a site I have to pay a nice chunk of change for in a membership.It's a joke I am much happier here on SiteJabber and Yelp. I can keep my reviews honest and real and I don't have to pay a penny to do anything else.

linday6
11/29/13

Not so great. I had a subscription for 1 year, did not renew. Did not find it to be worth paying for.
Pros:
1) It let me vent about a really bad experience with an HVAC company.
2) There are some decent reviews in the area of home repair/improvement. For some things I could at least identify who not to go to.
Con's:
1) They run ads, sometimes from businesses that look like they're on the lousy end of the scale (conflict of interest?)
2) Screening issues: some reviews look like they're written by friends and family of the owner.
3) For things other than home improvement/repairs stuff, I found the listings pretty thin.
4) They're spamming me to write reviews for outfits I only looked at briefly on their web site and never contacted. It seems they're desperate for real data. (And, I've told them this -> now they're sending me discount offers, daily).

theresar
10/11/13

It is wonderful to be able to trust the contractors who come to work in or outside your home. I have been very pleased with the outcomes!

carll12
8/11/13

For a few dollars a month, Angie's List is better than Yelp for finding good quality local professionals, doctors, contractors, etc. But no reason to stay signed up. Just sign up and then cancel!

lizk9
6/27/13

When I joined there was nothing in the sign up text to indicate that I would be limited to searching in one geographic region of the country. In fact, for the 1st three months that I had my account I searched in several different states / areas with no problem. Then suddenly one day when I logged in AL decided that my region was in NoVa and I was asked for more money to search anywhere else.

How did AL decide that my "home" is in NoVa? What cities are included in the area I'm allowed to search? None of this information was provided.

When I called AL for an explanation they said that I was supposed to be limited to one region searching all along. They had no explanation as to why I had been able to search everywhere when I joined.

They also told me that they charge more for memberships for people who live in populated areas, like NYC. Why are they bilking the AL members who live in large metro areas while charging other members a lower price? I wondered.

I think they want to "sucker" new members by giving them full access for a few months, and then limiting it later, to make them pony up cash to search in "additional" areas. One also has to pay more to access the list of health providers. This nickle and dime-ing of customers is scammy and unethical. It offended me so much I canceled my subscription and got a full refund.

PS - At the time I was using it - Spring 2013 - the site was VEEERY slow. It took forever to load, and to perform searches.

jamieg10
4/23/13

I did not ask to be, nor did I give permission to be added to ANY kind of mailing list or contact sheet. The website asked me if I wanted to leave feedback, so I did. They entered me into a mailing list and sent me spam emails without my permission. They have been offering me discounts and telling me to update my membership which I don't even HAVE one. They even keep sending me spam after I sent them a cease and desist email. They continue to spam me to this day so.

jeffreyg5
11/3/12

Good reviews and seems reliable. WAY BETTER THAN THE BBB WHO SELLS IT'S GRADES.