Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

georgeb188
9/18/17

I discovered landlords working the US system, taking advantage, changed conditions, check-in at impossible hours, claiming the money, flaring up over ageism, refusing to deny access and lodging, taking money for a ride. The system's computerized causing disregard. Check in before 12:30 or after 22:00 hours? Go away.

patriciav48
9/15/17

We are in Sorrento, Italy now. Booked an apt for 4 of us. Terrible experience. Electricity constantly goes off. Have to reset the power breaker 4 flights of stairs down 4-5 times per day. Power goes off even when we're not here. Also, no hot water for 3 days. No resolution so far from the property manager - he is pretty much mad every time we contact him. Will never book thru Airbnb again.

jackieg42
9/12/17

Where to start? Four hours and sixteen minutes on the phone to Air BnB customer service (officially logged in my phone), multiple emails back and forth (also officially logged), multiple tickets issued and three different case managers assigned (all for one issue that should never have become so complex), walking away having lost money as the paying customer buying the lifestyle Air BnB sold me... and at the end of all that, no solution! My accommodation was canceled on me last minute and that's what I got. Non existent customer service. To top it off, no way to escalate the issue to a higher level. Hands tied.

I'm also an Air BnB Super Host with a 5 star rating. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but issues with this company as both host and guest. Looking to divorce this company ASAP. Terrible business practices, heavily reliant on a computer system that is ridden with bugs. To top it off, incompetent staff who are unable to operate the bug ridden system and prefer to take the easy road, get you off the phone as quickly as possible. Of course, there's the exception of a few kind souls who try to clean up the mistakes of their comrades, but still fail (I suspect their hands are tied too). Company is an internal shambles. CEO clearly doesn't care much for the longevity of this business. I would steer clear!

richarda143
9/10/17

After a couple of previous satisfactory experiences with Air B & B , we booked and paid for bed and breakfast in Manchester, and with no communication from host arrived to find host not there. Booked into a nearby hotel and told Air B & B online and asked for a refund of NZ$66 paid. My Visa account was refunded within one day, and upon proof of what the extra hotel costs were, they also offered to reimburse me the additional cost of the hotel I had paid for, which was most unexpected!
We cannot speak highly enough of their exceptional service.
Richard and Christine Amery
Richard Amery.

shail87
9/7/17

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE YOURSELF AN EARLY HEART ATTACK VIA DISGUSTING SERVICE & SLOW FEEDBACK & POTENTIAL F*CKUPS OF HOLIDAYS - YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT F**KING SH*THOLE !

YOU COULD NOT GET WORSE SERVICE ! NO ONE CAN GET ANY PROBLEMS SORTED
NO CLIENT SATISFACTION
ONLY PATHETIC SERVICE
NO SUFFICIENT FEEDBACK
NO TIME FRAMES - EVERYTHING TAKES FOREVER (IE NEVER GETS SORTED OUT OR FIXED)

I HAVE HAD ENDLESS PROBLEMS AND THIS IS JUST TO BOOK THE ACCOMMODATION - I HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN TO THE APARTMENT YET.

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS USELESS PATHETIC AND UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY
YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS AND SH*T SERVICE

Tip for consumers: DONT USE AIRBNB EVER ! NOT WORTH YOUR TIME / MONEY / EFFORT (ACTUALLY NOT EVEN WORTH SH*T)

jamesc470
9/3/17

Airbnb is a great concept and for hosting and as a guest I've enjoyed it. However, the customer service from them is DIRE. They like to speak in compliments and riddles. Thank you for this, thank you for that, but never any substance. No one is capable for fixing a problem, no one will take responsibility for anything. They now advertise hotels which surely is the last nail in the coffin for this company. Trying to evolve from something it was already the best at. Bizarre. Reviews will only get worse from here on in.

betez
9/3/17

4 weeks ago I was charged 445 euros by Airbnb out of nowhere, without making ANY reservations or bookings. Even though I contacted them immediately (and allow me to say that it is almost impossible to contact them directly) it took them a week to respond. Finally, I was refunded my money only 3 weeks after and received NO EXPLANATION for why this has happened and how. Thank God I got the money back though..
I am very very disappointed, it is not worth trusting this company and their customer service is extremely poor and slow.

nicolef70
9/1/17

Site is awful and misleading, hosts are not always response, and policy's and charges are misleading. I booked under a policy noted as "Full Refund" up to 7 days prior and had to cancel within 18hrs of booking and only got refunded half an no services fees which was clearly not what the policy stated. When I disputed they went into the page and updated to reflect a 50% refund. When I challenged them, I never heard any response back. Hosts are responsive until it comes to needing a refund and then they indicate they can't help that I must contact Airbnb and Airbnb tells you to resolve with the host. Once I finally found a customer service number I was on hold for 10 minutes just to be told that a representative will be in contact to resolve. 2days now asking if this was being reviewed and no feedback. Don't take the Risk! Book elsewhere!

denisep47
8/31/17

I have used this service a couple of times and i can say - fortune smiled to me. I had no problems , i got good flats with wonderful housekeepers. Tidy, comfortable, cosy and clean flats with new furniture. Nice housekeepers. Moderate prices. This service is just awesome

billh175
8/31/17

We have just used Airbnb for the first time and it will be the last. The apartment we reserved in Boxford, MA was a disgusting hellhole. There was feces all over the toilet seat, the bathroom sink and shower had permanent stains and were disgusting. The carpet was stained and the whole place smelled awful.
The front door and entryway were filthy and covered with mildew and dirt.
The fee for 1 month was $1504. Airbnb refunded me $316 out of the $1504 because the place was dirty. They kept the rest. We stayed in a hotel the whole time even though it cost us $600 more for the month and did not spend one night in the filthy apartment.
Stay away from Airbnb!!

darleneh27
8/31/17

I had to cancel our trip due to a possible retina tear in my left eye which I explained fully to all three reservations we had. It happened suddenly. We took a loss on the first 2 because it was so close to the time but the 3 one was within the cancellation policy. Below is only one of the nasty responses I received from him. I was shocked but I guess he doesn't care about his guests only the money. Don't use Clark, in Marion, MT.!! He isn't as nice as he portrays himself to be.
"You waited until one day before the seven day cancellation policy went into effect to cancel. I hardly think that is a coincidence. People like you are the reason people like me have to impose strict cancellation policies and deposits on other travelers. It's really sad when folks won't do the right thing. It ruins it for everyone. And of course you won't be staying at my home. As I said, you aren't welcome."

desireef7
8/31/17

What a hassle. They saved my cc from a previous booking. As I was exploring places for another trip I hit continue and much to my surprise I was charged and booked. They call it immediate booking or some nonsense. I booked for a Saturday arrival on Wednesday morning so was out of the 5 day cancellation policy. Owner/host never got back to me. If I had booked a hotel I could gave just cancelled within 24 hours. Have been on the phone for hours... not worth it at all. Plus between cleaning fees and admin fees you're better off at a hotel where you gave full service. Bad experience.

lucys45
8/30/17

This was my first time using AirBnb and will certainly be my last. I did an advance reservation and was annoyed about the high end fees. I added on to my stay and got charged over $200 to change my check out date besides the initial fees I paid up front. My stay has become a high way robbery. Now I had some unexpected family emergency where I need to change my check out date to what it was orginally at. Not only will I be charged more fees by AirBnb, the place where I am staying at only wants to refund me back 50% of October because he does not want to do daily rentals and only likes long term rentals. I have been literally robbed by this whole entire transaction that to stay on a tiny place is costing me over $3000. I would have better off staying at a hotel. It would have been a lot cheaper and easier to check out. I wish I can sue Air BNB as I have been royally screwed.

darrellw26
8/30/17

MY PARTNER AND I MADE RESERVATION ON AIRBNB, THEY HAVE DEACTIVATED BOTH OUR ACCOUNTS. We both contacted them asking what the problem was. Customer Service could not give an answer and said our accts were being reviewed. This has been going on for 5 days now. TODAY I GOT A EMAIL SAYING (ACCT DEACTIVATED AND DECISION IS FINAL)
We have booked more than 6 airbnb rentals with NO PROBLEMS and good reviews-So I am at a loss what is going on. If someone would call us and explain to us the problem, we would be more than HAPPY to answer any questions OR TRY TO FIX IT ON OUR END
VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE
ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE, AND WHAT DID YOU DO ABOUT IT

katew71
8/26/17

This site is a joke ! I have a beautiful log cabin in Canada and it can sleep 10 people Airbnb think if a renter asks if they can stay but might be a few more that when in fact it's 20 people - camping out arpeggios be your home - you have to allow it. The support staff are anything but supportive. You get told one decision, paid, then a different decision and money clawed back. BUT they keep their fees !! Delays of several weeks occurred so all round bad news ! No liability no responsibility so if you value your home RUN

ivaylog
8/21/17

Airbnb is the worst company in the industry! Not only they let a host cancel a paid in full reservation but there are no consequences for the host as well. When you call them, customer service (if you can call it that and outsourced in the Philippines) tries to get you off the phone asap and offers no remedies whatsoever! Back to using Home Away...

theresad57
8/19/17

GLORIFIED FRAT HOUSE; 811 Connaught Avenue Ottawa guestroom has not seen a dust rag nor a vacuum in months; the guest bathroom has never been cleaned; linen not changed; garbage left in room over weeks; front door remains unlocked at all hours; faces Carling Avenue a major thoroughfare in Ottawa; a pair of grey gloves went missing; poor to no wifi connection making the smart TV useless; family members who live in the home includes two pet RATS who had not seen their cage cleaned for over 20 days! overwhelming odor! RATS's cage place on the patio below the guestroom's only window; no mention of pets in the listing; upon confirmation of booking was not made aware that there were pets in the home let alone two unattended RATS; lodgers beware unjustifiable nightly rate! ZERO star

rachelk71
8/15/17

This was my first time using the AirBnB service and it will definitely be my last. I just moved to Louisville, KY, and needed a place to stay for a week before my lease for my apartment began. I booked my trip and got to my new home for the week, where I was dropped off along with a huge carful of my stuff (to avoid renting a moving van, we decided to bring stuff down in different trips). The host was nice and the place was older, but clean. But I quickly realized there was an issue when I found roaches running around the kitchen and the bathroom. I took pictures and contacted the host, who was mortified and apologized for it, saying she would send maintenance out that day to take a look and spray. Maintenance didn't come, and for another few days she kept giving me excuses about why they didn't make it over yet. After having a roach scuttle across the bathroom floor as I was getting out of the shower, I decided enough was enough and that I would call AirBnB. I thought it would be a quick process since obviously the listing had vermin, but I was on the phone for FOUR HOURS from midnight until 4am. They were originally refusing to refund anything except the nights that I didn't stay at the residence (if I checked out early), but eventually I did receive a full refund for the nights I didn't stay, as well as a 50-percent refund for the nights that I did stay, free accommodation at a different AirBnB location for the remainder of my stay, and compensation for the UberXL I needed to transfer my stuff to the new accommodation. Sounds pretty good, even though I had to fight for it but then when I got to the new residence, I found that there were MORE roaches there too. I made this video and contacted AirBnB customer service again. I requested a hotel room for the remaining two nights since I didnt want to stay at another AirBnB location, for obvious reasons. I also asked for my stuff to stay at the dwelling since it was already paid for and I had no way to move it again especially through a hotel (do you know how many trips on the elevators I would need? Let alone another Uber which I would need to pack and unload!). The supervisor I spoke to told me that they could only pay for one hotel night, saying I could use my refund to pay for the second night in a hotel, and that they would only pay for the one hotel night if I canceled the current booking, which I needed for my stuff. Let me remind you that my refund and paying for the new accommodation was meant to remedy the first roach-infested dwelling. Paying for two nights in a hotel would remedy this current dwellings affliction. But nope! AirBnB wouldnt make it right. Now I have potentially brought roaches into my new apartment, and AirBnB definitely doesnt reimburse for pest control! I wanted to share this so that others dont get screwed over by this company, since they apparently dont seem to care about customer service based on my experience. Trust me, youre better off booking a hotel.

bjondid
8/14/17

I have had an absolutely abysmal experience with Airbnb, and I have nothing but negative things to say about the host that cancelled my reservation as I landed in Miami the hour before I was due to check-in, about Airbnb not doing anything to resolve the issue, and about Airbnb's response to the situation after the fact. First, the host cancelled on my friend and I while we were in our flight to Miami from Chicago. Their only resolution was a downgrade from a 2 bedroom unit to a 1 bedroom unit which was not only unacceptable, but a poor show of good faith. Airbnb refused to find us a comparable or better listing the day of and cover any difference from our agreed upon price, and asked us to book another listing from our phones while we were at the airport the day of, which unsurprisingly yielded no results of equal value and all results were extremely overpriced, as would be expected for a day of booking in Miami. The least Airbnb could have done was found listings for us and paid the difference in cost from what we paid, much like Stubhub does when a customer receives bogus tickets through their service. Lastly, my friend left the hosts a terrible review, rightfully so as they ruined our trip to Miami, and the hosts returned the favor leaving my friend an equally terrible review even though the hosts cancelled on us! To make matters worse, Airbnb just took down my friend's negative review of the hosts, essentially not allowing us to leave a rightfully and truthful terrible review on the hosts. When a host cancels on a trip booked a month in advance on the day of, they deserve a poor review and other potential customers deserve to see the poor review and skip on booking with the host. Neither I or my friend are able to review the poor hosts on our cancelled trip, and the poor review that our host left my friend is still up. This is quite possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced, and I am appalled that Airbnb would treat their customers like this. I will be posting poor reviews of Airbnb on every social media site and review site that I can find just to inform other potential customers to simply stay away from such a terrible service. It is not the fault of Airbnb when a host cancels on a customer, but the host should be severely penalized for doing so, especially the day of, and the customer should not only be made whole, but should be given an equal or better accommodation at no cost to the customer. It is then the absolute responsibility of Airbnb to make every effort to make the customer whole after the fact, as the cost of a cancelled trip on the day of the trip has much greater emotional harm than just the actual monetary cost of the situation. I am not sure how to describe what booking a new vacation from the airport on a cell phone is like in Miami without using very colorful language. It was a disaster. Airbnb has an absolute responsibility to at least allow its biased review system to be utilized in cases like this and to not cover up the atrocious behavior of its bad hosts. I cannot fathom why this part is particularly so frustrating. The good thing about social media is that even when a company decides to conceal its dark and shady treatment of customers on its own website, they cannot stop the disgruntled customers from spreading awareness through other platforms.

briannab12
8/8/17

I was a host on Airbnb and after my latest experience with them I am only using VRBO now!

We have been renting our ranch on Airbnb for years and I have never seen our home in such disarray. Our cleaning team sent me a list of all the issues (photo provided) including but not limited to-

- Stove top had burnt food all over it
- Carpets were stained and had to be shampooed which is far and above the normal clean we would need to do after guests leave
- There was dog food in the couch cushions
- Toilets were plugged up and had all kinds of items that had been attempted to be flushed down including face wipes and tampons.
- Garbage was put in a coat closet
- The bedrooms were a mess with food, drinks, games everywhere and the furniture had been all moved around (which we specifically ask our guests not to do)
- And worst of all there was poop stains on my grandmothers chair. Our ranch hand came up to assist the guest during his stay with the toilet being clogged and reported to us that the guests 90+ year old father was sitting in said chair completely naked from the waist down. He had a "waste" bucket sitting next to him for him to utilize as a bathroom.

My families ranch was purchased by my late grandfather in the 1960's. This place is so incredibly precious to us and we love share it with others. We have always had respectful, wonderful people stay with us until now. I am so incredibly saddened, hurt, and frankly have a pit in my stomach by the way they treated our home.

And after I submitted photos, a cleaning bill, and a list of all the items that needed to be cleaned AND after almost a month they finally responded with-

"After careful review of the information submitted, were unfortunately unable to process your request.

Security deposits cover direct physical loss or physical damage to an accommodation. It does not cover indirect losses. Therefore, as we have not received documentation for any physical damages we would be unable to provide compensation."

I will never use them again as a host or a traveler. A company's true character is shown in how it handles the small events and they showed me theirs.

antmu
8/7/17

I arrived in Amsterdam last Wednesday and had to collect the key from an Eazydrop - a business I believe some people in Amsterdam use to collect keys etc.
I accessed the flat after 5pm that day with no issue
I unpacked some of my things, had a shower and got ready to go out and see some friends that evening
I returned to the flat after 5am and found that I could access the main door to the building but the key would not open the door to the flat
I tried for over 30mins and was very distressed - I was using my full body weight to try and get the door open, turning the key which and every way but it would not open
I then contacted the host via email and after 10 or so minutes she replied (as per the email conversations) she advised me to contact the emergency number
I called the emergency number about 6 times and they told me they were trying to get in contact with the host
Eventually after an hour passed (it was no after 6am) I was called by a man called Michael who said he was the host when in fact in the ad the host is a woman called Schchen
Mikael told me that he would be over in 30mins with a spare key
10mins later I receive another call from Michael informing me that he cannot get the spare key because the office is closed and will not open till 9am
My only options were to either sleep in the hallway or check into a hotel. Michael suggested I go and wait in a hotel lobby. I informed him that I would do no such thing as I would not want the staff at the hotel to perceive I was there doing something untoward
Mikael told me to call him later in the morning and we would arrange a suitable time for us both to meet at the flat and I would receive a refund for that night
After 7am I checked into a hotel and after 4 hours sleep called Mikael and we arranged to meet at the flat at 1pm
I arrived at the flat at 1pm, waiting for my outside was a young man who told me his name was Julius
We both accessed the main door to the building using the key I was given on the previous day
We made our way up to the second floor and stood in front of the door to the flat. I then handed him the key to open the door - low and behold the door opened. I told hi that it was not so easy to open the door yesterday
Julius then went onto insinuating that I went to the wrong door, was I at the right door. I responded that of course I was, its the only door with the metal panelling on the left hand side and there are only 3 levels in the building. He said that because there was no issue with the door I would not receive the refund for that night. I was very annoyed by this, I had to spend over £100 to book a room for the night due to the faulty lock
We both entered the flat I saw that Juliuss phone was in the flat by the desk - it was charging I relaid that this charger was in fact mine but it was in my bag and not in plain sight. This further exasperated and annoyed me further. That he was insulting my intelligence, accessed the flat without my permission and then used my property to charge his phone.
For that reason I told him to leave and to end the argument as we were getting nowhere and I wanted to leave - I no longer felt save and felt violated that someone who thinks its ok (regardless of whether he works for/owns the property) to let himself in without me bing there and to touch my property
I explained to him that I would be checking out and would no longer stay at the property because of his unscrupulous behaviour. I confronted him that there was an issue with the lock and he must have rectified the issue either himself/called a locksmith prior to my arrival. Therefore alleviating themselves of the promise to refund me for the night
Therefore I made the decision to leave and go back to the hotel
I contacted Airbnb and spoke to a representative called Joe. I explained the situation to him and he could clearly hear on the phone how upset I was upset by the situation
He informed me that is my decision to leave - my response was I no longer felt safe being in the flat. He said that he would send me an email and once I had checked into the hotel I should provide him with supporting evidence of what had taken place

I have been visiting for 2 years and go 2-3 times a year. I have stayed at hotels and Airbnbs - I have never had an issues with gain access and the hosts at whos properties I have stayed at have given me glowing feedback. I felt o strongly about how I had been mistreated a dutch friend of mine who lives in Amsterdam reported the host and the management agency to the Amsterdam city hall.

I have escalated and written to Airbnb twice to give me the contact details of their legal dept as I do not agree with the outcome of the decision made. My emails have gone unanswered!

jeffreyn20
8/5/17

Apparently, you cannot verify your phone number to rent a place if you are using anything other than Sprint, AT&T or T-Mobile. I called their customer service and the rep made me feel that because I use Cricket Wireless(Which is owned by AT&T) to save money that I am too poor to use their service

antep1
8/4/17

As a host, I'm very satisfied with Airbnb. I believe that feature of hosts giving reviews to guests (not just the other way around) somehow attracted the best possible guests. Those who don't care about how the host will feel about them just don't use Airbnb - who would want to have public internet profile with bad things about themselves.

The bad side of Airbnb is that don't really seems to care about hosts problems, bugs in their web pages or other problems that a host can experience. Response is slow or non-existent.

hogm
8/3/17

Terrible service my daughter booked us a five night stay in London. About two weeks later she got notification that the host had canceled our stay due to the fact that the owner of the property no longer allowed her to rent it out. So we made another reservation. We also booked five days in Paris. Now we have received notice that that apartment is also no longer available due to the fact that the actual owner of the property did not want to properly used as an Airbnb and the tenant was just using it as an Airbnb. Airbnb does not vet or screen any of its properties properly so there is no guarantee that the owner of the property is actually the person Renting it out on Airbnb. This is an Airbnb problem they are not responsible as the middleman. They claim people can click on a button stating that they own the property but there is no research or guarantees going into that. And of course people will lie. And yet I had to submit my drivers license to have my background checked to verify that I was an OK prospective renter. Airbnb is just out to make money and doesn't really care how it messes with people with their vacations.

duaneb23
8/1/17

My collegue used airbnb for a recent accomodation booking. I was surprised by the ease of use and simplicity. We found a great place at an awesome price. So the rest is all history... I joined airbnb.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D. on 7/28/15
Helpful answer

There is nothing IN THEORY that prevents negative reviews being posted on Airbnb. Guest and host both have 14 days after a ‘completed stay’ to post a review about each other – neither of which are published until the 14 days have elapsed. The host and guest apparently don’t get to see each other’s review before they are published. This is supposedly to prevent ‘retaliation reviews’ where guest/host sees a negative public review about them and posts an equally negative and possibly untrue review in retaliation. However, I have to agree with others that there is a suspiciously lopsided balance of reviews on the site – go and search for yourself in any location, eg Barcelona, Moscow, Sydney, London etc, with no filters applied, and try really hard to find a property with an overall ‘star rating’ (an amalgamated Airbnb score based on all reviews for that property) of 1, 2 , 3 or even 4 stars out of 5. The VAST majority of overall star ratings are 5 stars out of five, a few are 4.5 stars out of 5. This just doesn’t ring true. As someone said on a TripAdvisor forum, “common sense and experience dictates that you can’t please all of the people all of the time – Airbnb ratings seem to suggest the opposite.” I agree, they do. I don’t necessarily believe the positive reviews are fake or anything, just that it seems highly unlikely in such a huge online marketplace that there could be SO few negative reviews if the system was GENUINELY open and transparent. So I do concur with the theory that Airbnb somehow manages to block a large number of negative reviews. I don’t know whether that’s by Airbnb asserting its stated right to remove certain reviews, or because really bad properties - the kind where you turn up and immediately know you can’t stay there because they’re so awful – never get reviewed because if a guest leaves before 24 hours has elapsed it’s counted as a ‘cancellation’ and they are not allowed to post a review under Airbnb Terms and Conditions. Anyways, it all points to the fact that you need to do your research thoroughly and be appropriately wary when considering booking with Airbnb. Read all the Airbnb terms and conditions, check the host’s cancellation policy carefully, communicate with the host personally via the ‘Contact Host’ button on the listing BEFORE you fork out any money, etc…. generally just be a savvy consumer and don’t get too swept up in the trendy Airbnb PR message of the ‘sharing economy’. Treat Airbnb like any other rental advertisement site and apply the usual caveats and precautions. And take reviews with a healthy pinch of salt, just like you would with reviews on TripAdvisor, Amazon or any other popular ecommerce site.

By Susan M. on 11/27/12
Helpful answer

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F. on 9/10/15
Helpful answer

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M. on 10/29/15
Helpful answer

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w. on 10/10/15
Helpful answer

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G. on 12/11/15
Helpful answer

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B. on 11/7/15

They offered $25 discount of next booking I just chose to go else where

By James S. on 10/18/15
Helpful answer

This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.

By Lucille G. on 1/11/15
Helpful answer

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J. on 6/11/15
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

34 Photos for Airbnb