US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

nolaa

If you have a problem, Airbnb customer service is almost nonexistent. (in 110 reviews)

kayv5

First, as a host I have spent countless hours answering questions from potential guests who DO NOT read the listings. (in 291 reviews)

jenniferc63

BUT OF COURSE THEY GAVE NO PHONE NUMBER ON THEIR WEBSITE TO DO THAT! (in 37 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

tejp2
7/25/16

Upon arrival we found the house to be in poor condition, dirty and hot. . We would not be able to stay in the house do to no curtains for privacy on the windows as well as the sunshine heating up the furniture to unbearable degrees. No air conditioning in the house. No drapes to close to avoid the sunshine coming in. We tried to call the hosts but no answer. We called the resolution center immediately and explained.Resolution center contacted hosts Pam and Paul and explained that although we would not be staying at the house at all we would still pay for one night. We were a total of 1 hour at the house before departing to find other accommodations. After multiple calls still waiting on a refund.

ew619
7/24/16

As an airbnb user I have come to see that Airbnb is 100% about making money, not responsible hosting.

- Reviews are unreliable, they are only published if both parties make a review so if either party suspects they will get a bad review they simply don't make one.

- In Ecuador, where we host, permission must be obtained from the local authorities to rent or offer hospitality, which means they must adhere to certain standards and pay yearly fees and taxes and are accountable if guests have any complaints.
Airbnb take no responsibility to ensure their listings are legal and continue to list properties that have been reported as illegal all over Ecuador, these properties are mostly run by expat retirees looking for a little extra income. In the meantime, due to the enormous success of Airbnb they are putting local legitimate business's out of business

- Their cancellation policies are ineffective, as a small business we rely upon and work hard to keep our rentals occupied and consequently chose a strict cancellation policy, yet our guests were able to cancel their reservation ONE DAY before the start of the second month of their reservation and even though the house was left like a pig-sty and things were stolen we were unable to give a review because the reservation was cancelled! And even if we had been able to make the review it would not have been published if they had not made a counter review.

janec95
7/19/16

Reservation was made months ago, relatives drove in, flew in and the day before we were all to meet at the rented house, we were told it would not be available for the day we had booked. Some alternatives were provided nowhere near where we wanted to stay, no where near the price we had already paid, no where near the number of rooms required. After this experience, we will never ever consider renting from any of the "homes for rent" websites. Now we have to even wait 5 days for our money to be refunded when all that is needed is to apply a credit to the card and why that takes 5 days to do that I can't fathom.

billyc42
7/18/16

Photos host placed on ad were inaccurate and older single wide Mobile home was not to code! Airbnb apparently doesn't make sure it is to code! Located in Prescott Valley, Az listed by "Alex". Place should be condemned! Host would only refund half of cleaning fee $75.00! Arbitration through Airbnb is a joke! And their policy states they do not refund their portion! 5023 N Robin Dr
Prescott Valley 86314 Don't rent it!

coleneh1
7/14/16

First, they take all of your money right away, not just the cancellation policy money. Since I booked about a year in advance, they are hanging onto my $3000 for the entire year (investing it to make money I guess? Because multi-million dollar companies need the money more than teachers do?). They are unable to split credit cards (when a group books a giant house for a week and it costs thousands, one person needs to foot the bill). I do not understand why every restaurant, store and avon lady can split credit cards, but airbnb is unable? I can recommend an ipad app that can do it if you'd like airbnb. Seems like terrible business practice when we're talking groups of people and thousands of dollars. When one wants to get in touch with them to see if the others can buy airbnb gift cards and apply them to the payment and refund my credit card, the help menu is useless. There is no "contact us" button. The "help" menu just takes you back to the main help page over and over. I found a way that seemed like a help ticket, but there is no "send" button. It says "chat now". And when you click it, a chat box comes up that no one ever comes to. (I have been working on trying to find out if I can apply some gift cards to my $3000 booking for over a week now).

calumc3
7/14/16

My partner and I have used airbnb for years both as hosts and as travellers across 4 continents. While we have loved many wonderful hosts and delighted in hosting guests, we have stopped using airbnbn in favour of booking.com due to airbnbs unethical management. You need to be aware that by using airbnb you're supporting a company who:
1. Has an arbitrary review process. We wrote a review of a nightmare host who had positive feedback. Our review didnt appear, we had to manually check for it. We had to contact Airbnb to ask why. They said that they should have emailed us, and when it turned out they failed to, they investigated why our review wasnt published. Turns out the host had objected, and Airbnb had published her review on us, but not ours on her due to a technicality (we pasted a text message our host had sent us). We were happy to revise our review by simply removing the pasted phrase. Airbnb wouldnt allow this. I dont know of any serious site that conducts such a one-sided arbitrary (and faulty) review process. This was highly likely the reason our nightmare airbnb host's feedback didn't feature anything negative - she uses airbnbs arbitrary feedback process to block reviews. So you can't trust reviews on airbnb.

2. airbnb see nothing wrong with renting out properties that have been stolen. Yes, you read that right: stolen. Check out the campaign on sumofus and other sites. Airbnb will rent you property that by international UN law have been stolen in Palestine. Many have written airbnb asking them to comply to the law, a petition has been handed to them (over 150k signatories to date) and used other methods to get Airbnb to cease their unethical and illegal practice, to no avail.

maryu20
7/13/16

Nowhere on the Airbnb website does it tell you the Safari browser won't allow you to write a review about a stay. The host/hostess depends on these to be in good standing. I tried first on my phone and then on my computer, once home. No response to my request for help -- writing this in the only area I could find to actually contact anybody. A week later and no answer still.
My hostess happened to have a phone number for customer service (not sure where she got it) and I called. They had no work around for a way to submit a review w/o going on Google or Modzilla. I had no problem finding a place to stay, communicating with the owner, and making a payment with my Safari browser and so never suspected my browser was preventing me from interacting with them.
Very disappointed they can't do more to accommodate all their customers -- or at the very least tell people what browser is required. A disservice to the hosts and a disservice to the guests. A great company if one never experiences problems.

davidk235

Thank God I found BnBChat.Com

sarthakk
7/9/16

Upon reaching the island, the host aaked me to pay more than what I had paid while registering at airbnb.
The people on island told that there is no such guesthouse named Coral Heaven Maldives on Ghuraidhoo. Doesn't airbnb verify the registered guesthouses?

johnd597
7/9/16

Upon checking in to an airbnb in LA for a two week stay hosted by a man named Phyllis, I had to do a massive cleaning up of the entire place. There were dried chicken bones in the fridge, along with mold and other disgusting items. I was forced to go the store and purchase cleaning supplies to clean his fridge along with the entire airbnb. All the dishes were caked with dust and water marks. I did all this after checking in almost 4 and a half hours after the agreed upon check-in time, because he said he was waiting on your "maid/cleaner." For which he then agreed to reimburse me for half a day rental price. Then of course he never did. I even had to take out the trash! I chose not to write a negative review because that is not the kind of person I am, even after all that I went through. The host then had the audacity to write a negative review on me. Accusing me of "smoking" inside his nasty little Airbnb. After reading the negative slanted review you he wrote about me, when there was no smoking done in the house, I encouraged him to take it down or I will have to pursue other avenues to resolve this situation with Airbnb. As I dont think other renters should have to check-in to such a dirty and unkept place as where trash is full and bedding needs to be washed. Phyllis in LA with "Bugalo" DON'T rent it! It's absolutely disgusting!

larryb114
7/8/16

I reserved an apartment in Chicago in which the host tried to charge more afterwards and would not respond to my texts and emails. I tried to contact Airbnb customer service twice, to no avail, so I cancelled the reservation within the first 24 hours. Unfortunately, I was still out the $71 Airbnb fee.
It turned out to be an expensive lesson.
The host turned out to have a bad history with Airbnb back a couple of years, but the listing I was viewing showed he was a member since only June 2016.
Never again. I'll stick to hotels in the future.

mariat68
7/4/16

Airbnb managed to turn a long awaited expensive holiday for two couples with kids on tow a dreadful experience that ended up costing twice its original budget. We had booked a not inexpensive apartment in Manhattan on March which the host cancelled on us 6 days before our Athens-New York flight. Airbnb sent a couple of lukewarm messages to see if there is anything they can do, we managed to find another apartment that we liked and could afford, despite the last minute notice, and we booked it. The moment we arrive at JFK and turn on our phones, there is a message waiting from airbmb that the listing we had booked has been cancelled and they would be happy either to transfer our money (that I had charged to my card and paid interest for since March) towards another booking or return it. So we are in the airport after an 11 hour flight, with two children, a booked SUV waiting to take us to Manhattan and nowhere to go, at 19:00 of Friday evening. Airbnb has an employee call us who, however, has absolutely no sense of urgency about the situation, suggests we find another listing, does not offer to help at all until I start screaming, I asked that they put us up in a hotel, they said of course they would not and I had to find two rooms just for one night (they were unavailable as the following day), where we all crammed together to give airbnb and ourselves time to find a replacement apartment. But there are only a couple of places within specs in Manhattan, one turned out unavailable, the other's owner would not respond, and in the meantime I could not start my vacation, waiting to fix the situation. After thinking it over we decided that we had better find a hotel somewhere, anywhere, even at double the price we would be paying for the apartment otherwise we would have wasted all the expenses and time off for the vacation we had planned months in advance. We felt completely ambandoned by Airbnb throughout this whole process, and the fact that they kept sending template apology messages does not cut it, quite honestly. So, no, will not trust them ever again and considering seriously claiming for the considerable costs we suffered.

brandonl39
7/2/16

BUYER BEWARE! They can and will charge you well above the deposit. My deposit was $300 and they charged me $925. They will put on your credit and it will go down a lot! Why? My 3 year old child spilled soup on a rug that could not be easily cleaned.

cynthiac62
7/2/16

Don't use Airbnb!! It'll ruin your holiday! I just returned from my bali holiday staying in 2 airbnb villas.....big mistake!! They are Eco Artist Villa and Agung View villa. I visit Bali every year and this is my worst experience. Never have i had such bad service and overpriced low quality stay in bali. The villas are all not well maintained and dirty. Doors, fans, aircon, power supply and many things don't work! I paid booking fee of singapore $150 and cleaning fee of $160 for 3 nights booking ontop of my daily rate of $280 for a 4 bedroom villa. Its more expensive than resort and service are minimum, not what they advertised! And everything is pay & pay when you get there. Don't use Airbnb and ruin your holiday trust me!!

rebeccap70
7/2/16

My family rented a villa near Florence, Italy for 5 weeks and it was amazing. We paid up front and paid a small fee near the end of our stay. Everything was straightforward with no hidden fees. Will definitely use airbnb on our next long stay abroad.

kenj115
6/29/16

Note that the price that's quoted in Airbnb is NOT the price that you actually pay.

I just spent some time looking at Airbnb prices, comparing them to hotel prices.
The Airbnb prices always LOOKED lower. But when I wen to actually book at Airbnb, suddenly there were ADDITIONAL costs NOT included in the quoted price.

So the $150 per night spot that I wanted for a couple days was actually $210/night after adding in the $75 "Cleaning fee" and the $50 "Airbnb" fee.

Those fees are an unavoidable part of the price and it's sleazy and dishonest to not quote them until booking time.

elizabethm158
6/27/16

It is impossible to get ahold of anyone at air bnb and if you do they don not know what the f!!!!!! they are talking about. One person told me my payment method would be approved in one day and now they tell me seven days. My bank was now approved???? and they have my money but it is hard going to get it!!!

ruthd21
6/25/16

I never made it through the booking process because of how bad and slow the customer services was. They failed to address my problems and took all day to reply to emails, which were the only contact method listed for the company. It took all day to get my deposit sent to the company. Four days later I receive and email from the property owner that the payment was invalid. While the tracking information for the payment shows that it was received and processed without a problem. One huge scam.

erikam31
6/25/16

I had a terrible interaction with an extremely greedy property manager using airbnb to get occasional guests but mostly long term tenants. They refused to waive the almost $200 cancellation fee when I tried to cancel my two day stay, more than 3 weeks ahead of time, due to jury duty. Messages deteriorated into threats and name calling.And I repeatedly told them to stop messaging me.
I canceled despite the fee and filed a resolution request. The next day Darren at airbnb told me he read the messages and wanted to hear what happened. He listened intently, and then told me he was so sorry that this had happened.He explained how Airbnb appreciated kind vibrant people like me and my family. He said people like the host I dealt with were the exception and that he'd handle them. He added that Airbnb valued us as guests and hosts. He also refunded me for the entire stay and offered a $100 voucher for my next trip.
After the very kind and comforting conversation, I received a personal sincere email just as nice. The whole experience made it clear that Airbnb does their best to make sure guests and hosts are good people and treat each other right.

allisonr13
6/23/16

I booked an Airbnb two months before a business trip with my children.The Airbnb host cancelled my reservation less than 5 days before my trip.

I spent a full workday investigating alternative accommodations and communicating with Airbnb. The only available hotel room I could find was three times the price of my Airbnb property but without the amenities of my previously reserved (and paid for!) accommodations. Airbnb refused to compensate me for the full additional cost I incurred because of the host's unprofessional cancellation. Customer Service was slow and borderline rude.

This organization clearly is not interested in customer satisfaction or host accountability.I will never use their services in the future.

#neveragainAirbnb

janisf2
6/23/16

How are comps identified. My property is a house but comps that appear are all shared properties witj a main house onsite. The comps should be other 2 bedroom individual homes. Please correct this, I have some other concerns about customer service. Where do I go to get them addressed?

lindal199
6/22/16

I have used Airbnb 3 times this trip in Europe, 2 out of 3 were great. I'm in Psris ATM sitting in an 'apartment' that is bout 20 sq metres, no air con, noisey neighbours till 4am, if we leave the window open, the light are on n off all nite and we can hear other people's conversations! If this was a hotel we would have some recourse but it's not so we are stuck, with no possibility of a refund!!! It's 30c here and the 'tomb' is like an oven. Be careful as not being able to get a decent night sleep over 5 nights can really wreck your vacation!!!!' Really do your homework and ask lots of questions. This place is crap and it wasn't exactly cheap

michaelb370
6/21/16

15 days in advance, I made a reservation at 11:27 AM. It was confirmed at 1:31 PM. I cancelled it just 17 minutes later at 1:48 PM. Now I'm charged a $24 non-refundable fee. I received nothing whatsoever for my payment. RIP OFF.

Tip for consumers: Be Aware. No Fee Refunds.

karenm218
6/21/16

I rented a room and got my laptop stolen out of my car by an occupant of the residence. The person entered my locked room and took my car keys to steal my macbook pro out of my locked trunk.

alexm213
6/19/16

There is no way that AirBNB can protect itself against side-channel attacks from from the Russian mobsters. They are simply not capable. The US Government could not do it against the Chinese, and as a result at least 100 Million (not a typo) people's personal information - the closest family and friends of military/civilian employees with classified clearances - are now in the hands of the Chinese Government. AirBnB is asking you to send them all the info necessary to steal your identity. How long do you think it will take for the international identity mobsters to penetrate THEIR defenses? Do not send this information to AirBNB. Do not allow your ignorance of vulnerabilities to match the ignorance of AirBNB security architects.

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

75 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question