US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

nicholasf25
8/25/16

I have been a host on Airbnb for 2 years and have had multiple comically bad experiences with their pricing and bookings system. I had to turn off instant book after a short trial because it was a huge money loser that pissed off guests that were in the process of inquiring about the same dates. I recently tried the 'smart pricing' feature which is really 'dumb pricing' as it cut my prices to half of what my place has historically booked up for. I am leaving a bad review publicly as I could not find a feedback area on their website to give the same feedback directly to them so the review must go to the world on a 3rd party website. Extremely displeased with the Airbnb programming. Has always been poor - great concept, extremely poor execution.

santoshg1
8/23/16

I have booked Home through aribnb which cost me so cheap and affordable, best suits to travellers

jackw110
8/13/16

I had a bad experience with a host, i booked a room for the night but he wasnt there and would not answer his phone when i arrived i was told he didnt even live there i ended up staying in a hostel. After explaining what had happened to airbnb and after giving them a copy of my phone log and other travel documents to support my claims after a few days i was given a full refund and a £50 coupon off my next reservation using airbnb so in the end i feel they did compensate me and i am gratefull for their good customer service.

katiem77
8/13/16

My friends and I rented a house in the Hamptons for a long weekend.
Upon our arrival the place was 95 degrees with the windows being
partially open. The place was clearly in the process of being
remodeled and wild animals were all over the place. Not to mention the
bugs that were in the kitchen. It was MUGGY and just gross in the
house. NEVER EVER rent a house in Sag Harbor 66 Meredith Avenue Sag
Harbor. Brenda is a HORRENDOUS host. We contacted the host of the
property who informed us the place had no air conditioning and she
dropped some fans off. The fans barely worked. It was so hot the
fridge wouldn't even stay cold. The temperature was inhumane,
absolutely ridiculous not a vacation. We had a baby with us who was on
the verge of becoming sick from the heat. We contacted the host again
who informed us it was the hottest day of the year and that he
completely understood. He informed us that we would receive a FULL
refund if we left that same night. We feverishly sweated and searched
for places in the area to stay which was a challenge. We left within
2 hours of our arrival. We ended up all not staying together because
nothing was available that last minute. The next morning airbnb
informed us that air conditioning was not a listed amenity and they
could not process a refund we paid $1800.00. The owner denied telling
us that he would indeed issue us a refund, even though hours earlier
he said he would on speaker phone in front of all my friends. AirBnB
assigned us a case manager who we NEVER spoke to. Every time you
called you got somebody different. We aren't even able to leave a
review on the property because we didn't stay there. go elsewhere for
a rental

austint23
8/12/16

We were refused into the unit by the building manager when we arrive at a condo in Chicago because they don't allow transient renters like Airbnb. The host happened to be out of the country. We were literally left holding our "bags" and had to scramble to find hotel rooms and pay extra.
Contact and help from Airbnb was zero. Subsequent communication and resolution w/ Airbnb was very poor and non existent. I was given the impression of "tough shi--" from Aibnb.
I hope this won't happened to someone else.

dawns68
8/11/16

I am a host on Airbnb. They are the worst place to advertise. I can see why after reading all of the reviews. They just kept $200 of my reservation money due to my not accepting past reservations. REALLY??? I get 99% of my reservation from VRBO and have never had a problem with them. I get paid immediately, not MONTHS later. I have filed multiple complaints and will put them on the local news channel here in Nashville, TN. DO NOT USE this company. OF course, I can't find a phone number to call customer service to talk to anyone....WHAT A JOKE!! I have since removed my listing. They also are putting remarks on my profile that says "host cancelled reservation one day prior to reservation". This is defamation and is NOT true. I didn't cancel anything. I simply didn't accept it due to another reservation at the same time. I can't wait to call my attny on this one!!......

maryannm21
8/10/16

We stayed at a condo that promised multiple amenities with a picture to back it up, like a TV. when we arrived late in the evening there was no tv not a fully stocked kitchen like coffee pot etc. The host said she would bring it down. It was suppose to be air conditioned, only a small unit in the living area with fans in the bedrooms. I was traveling with my 97 year old Mom and could not leave to find a hotel. we tried using the sink in the bathroom and it was clogged. Again the host said she would fix it plus provide more towels (there was one bleached stained wash cloth, two hand towels, two bath towels (one had a huge hole in it) and a few beach towels. The host knew that there were three of us staying There was no where to hang the few towels to dry had to use door handles. When the coffee pot was left the next day, the top of the reusable pod was broken so it was not working. We left for the day expecting the issues to be resolved when we returned and nothing. When I texted the host she said they were away for the weekend and she cold not do anything else. Again it was late at night. So the next morning we left and I texted the host telling her that it was uncomfortable to stay there and I would expect a refund. Out of the 19 amenities that were suppose to be there there was only a few. I have contacted my credit card company to dispute the charges and they are working on it, BUT.... I contact Airbnd several times with feedback and asking about this situation and nothing from them. My recommendation, do not believe everything on their website. Buyer Beware! You would think since they can afford to advertise on TV they would have the funds to back up their promises on their hosts. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

jerryp42
8/8/16

We stayed a weekend and then got billed $265 in extra expenses, saying we had extra guest and we used bikes etc which we never used and never had anyone over. We tried to tell them we did not have anyone over or use the items mentioned but they said we should read the contract and they can bill for what ever they like.
Very dishonest company

mustafam9
8/8/16

Don't be fooled. The luxury house in Puerto Plata Dominican may look GREAT, I never saw it. I booked Aug, 2- Aug. 6, 2016. Sent an email to Dale Benson on July 31, to get information on how to gain access to the house, how far was it from the airport,etc.....NO ANSWER FROM DALE......I called the contact number, it is to a US phone number. The person who I spoke to (Eric) stated he would email Dale so he could contact me......NO CALL FROM DALE.....I contacted Airbnb, they sent me a email to review their representative, NOT DALE......They stated since the host cancelled the reservation I could not review him......HOW CONVENIENT........

stefanv2
8/2/16

In airbnb you will be dealing with people that are not professionals. It is only based on trust, and when this fails, and it does, it will ruin your holidays. I used airbnb because it was cheaper than a hotel, until one day an owner asked me to pay for something I didn't do. Airbnb does nothing about this. At the end it would have been cheaper, and better, to have booked a good hotel.

azark
8/2/16

After a terrible experience in Paris through this $#*!ty website, I tried to contact them. Not possible.There is no contact number No customer service center .No nothing . Air-nub is a Scam !!!!!!. I'm sorry letting this peep y pants Fag Nurd Brian Chesky in Sanfransisco rip me off. Be careful IsIs is one of his hosts !!!

jamesk161
7/31/16

Every facility has exceeded my expectations and been a great value, otherwise I would have used a hotel.
All the guests that have stayed in our RV have left it clean and they have been nice people and a joy to meet.

janeta31
7/31/16

Instant $75 off on your next Airbnb trip! Go to www MillennialTravel net and the code will automatically be applied at checkout - safe travels!

paula773
7/27/16

Airbnb is a very interesting place to be and it offers plenty of opportunities to stay besides of the hotels any day of the week. I have enjoyed using Airbnb for my travels and I will continue to do so. My wife and I have met some very great people using this site and have really enjoyed the places that we have stayed. We actually found a log cabin made of cedar in Knoxville, TN and had our honeymoon there. Eddie Arnold / EDDIE'S HOME THINGS!

franklinw18
7/26/16

Back in December, 2015, I decided to have my wifes 60th birthday celebration on July 17, 2016 in Myrtle Beach, SC. I wanted to find an accommodation with 3 bedrooms so that my son and his wife and my daughter and husband and my wife and I could be under one roof. I had a good experience with Airbnb in September 2015, so I got on the site. I located a 3 bedroom suite at Mar Vista Resort in Myrtle Beach and I reserved the suite with my credit card for July 15 18, 2016.
As of the 1st of June 2016, Id heard nothing from the host Sean Michael (VAWAY). I sent a message to Airbnb and later I received a short message from Sean stating that everything was okay and I would get check-in instructions soon.
During the week of our trip, I sent a message every day to the host, Sean Michael and he gave me the same response, the check-in information is coming. On Thursday, the day before leaving, I pressed the issue and got Tonya, CSR Manager of Airbnb involved.
Finally, I got a call from Sean Michael and he informed me that the property at the Mar Vista resort had been double booked. If the property was double booked, how did I get pushed out and the other person was given the suite at Mar Vista. So, Sean Michael offered me a 2 bedroom suite in Cherry Grove. We needed 3 bedrooms not 2 so this would not work for us. Then he said, my party would have to leave to a larger five bedroom suite in Cherry Grove for the next two nights. I did not like his proposal so I contacted Airbnb again. I later got a call from Sean Michael and he was upset and suggested that it was my fault that I did not have a place to stay in Myrtle Beach.
Soon it was obvious that we would not get help from Sean Michael or Airbnb. So, we had no choice but to search on our own to find a place. Finally, we found 3 separate rooms at Embassy Suites which increased my cost by over $2,000 because of last minute planning and searching for a room.
I am very disappointed with Airbnb and very disappointed with Sean Michael (VAWAY).

tejp2
7/25/16

Upon arrival we found the house to be in poor condition, dirty and hot. . We would not be able to stay in the house do to no curtains for privacy on the windows as well as the sunshine heating up the furniture to unbearable degrees. No air conditioning in the house. No drapes to close to avoid the sunshine coming in. We tried to call the hosts but no answer. We called the resolution center immediately and explained.Resolution center contacted hosts Pam and Paul and explained that although we would not be staying at the house at all we would still pay for one night. We were a total of 1 hour at the house before departing to find other accommodations. After multiple calls still waiting on a refund.

ew619
7/24/16

As an airbnb user I have come to see that Airbnb is 100% about making money, not responsible hosting.

- Reviews are unreliable, they are only published if both parties make a review so if either party suspects they will get a bad review they simply don't make one.

- In Ecuador, where we host, permission must be obtained from the local authorities to rent or offer hospitality, which means they must adhere to certain standards and pay yearly fees and taxes and are accountable if guests have any complaints.
Airbnb take no responsibility to ensure their listings are legal and continue to list properties that have been reported as illegal all over Ecuador, these properties are mostly run by expat retirees looking for a little extra income. In the meantime, due to the enormous success of Airbnb they are putting local legitimate business's out of business

- Their cancellation policies are ineffective, as a small business we rely upon and work hard to keep our rentals occupied and consequently chose a strict cancellation policy, yet our guests were able to cancel their reservation ONE DAY before the start of the second month of their reservation and even though the house was left like a pig-sty and things were stolen we were unable to give a review because the reservation was cancelled! And even if we had been able to make the review it would not have been published if they had not made a counter review.

janec95
7/19/16

Reservation was made months ago, relatives drove in, flew in and the day before we were all to meet at the rented house, we were told it would not be available for the day we had booked. Some alternatives were provided nowhere near where we wanted to stay, no where near the price we had already paid, no where near the number of rooms required. After this experience, we will never ever consider renting from any of the "homes for rent" websites. Now we have to even wait 5 days for our money to be refunded when all that is needed is to apply a credit to the card and why that takes 5 days to do that I can't fathom.

billyc42
7/18/16

Photos host placed on ad were inaccurate and older single wide Mobile home was not to code! Airbnb apparently doesn't make sure it is to code! Located in Prescott Valley, Az listed by "Alex". Place should be condemned! Host would only refund half of cleaning fee $75.00! Arbitration through Airbnb is a joke! And their policy states they do not refund their portion! 5023 N Robin Dr
Prescott Valley 86314 Don't rent it!

Update! AIRbnb finally contacted me via email and through arbitration they refunded me $200.00! Not sure who's pocket it came from?, But better than nothing! That shows me arbitration works..

coleneh1
7/14/16

First, they take all of your money right away, not just the cancellation policy money. Since I booked about a year in advance, they are hanging onto my $3000 for the entire year (investing it to make money I guess? Because multi-million dollar companies need the money more than teachers do?). They are unable to split credit cards (when a group books a giant house for a week and it costs thousands, one person needs to foot the bill). I do not understand why every restaurant, store and avon lady can split credit cards, but airbnb is unable? I can recommend an ipad app that can do it if you'd like airbnb. Seems like terrible business practice when we're talking groups of people and thousands of dollars. When one wants to get in touch with them to see if the others can buy airbnb gift cards and apply them to the payment and refund my credit card, the help menu is useless. There is no "contact us" button. The "help" menu just takes you back to the main help page over and over. I found a way that seemed like a help ticket, but there is no "send" button. It says "chat now". And when you click it, a chat box comes up that no one ever comes to. (I have been working on trying to find out if I can apply some gift cards to my $3000 booking for over a week now).

calumc3
7/14/16

My partner and I have used airbnb for years both as hosts and as travellers across 4 continents. While we have loved many wonderful hosts and delighted in hosting guests, we have stopped using airbnbn in favour of booking.com due to airbnbs unethical management. You need to be aware that by using airbnb you're supporting a company who:
1. Has an arbitrary review process. We wrote a review of a nightmare host who had positive feedback. Our review didnt appear, we had to manually check for it. We had to contact Airbnb to ask why. They said that they should have emailed us, and when it turned out they failed to, they investigated why our review wasnt published. Turns out the host had objected, and Airbnb had published her review on us, but not ours on her due to a technicality (we pasted a text message our host had sent us). We were happy to revise our review by simply removing the pasted phrase. Airbnb wouldnt allow this. I dont know of any serious site that conducts such a one-sided arbitrary (and faulty) review process. This was highly likely the reason our nightmare airbnb host's feedback didn't feature anything negative - she uses airbnbs arbitrary feedback process to block reviews. So you can't trust reviews on airbnb.

2. airbnb see nothing wrong with renting out properties that have been stolen. Yes, you read that right: stolen. Check out the campaign on sumofus and other sites. Airbnb will rent you property that by international UN law have been stolen in Palestine. Many have written airbnb asking them to comply to the law, a petition has been handed to them (over 150k signatories to date) and used other methods to get Airbnb to cease their unethical and illegal practice, to no avail.

maryu20
7/13/16

Nowhere on the Airbnb website does it tell you the Safari browser won't allow you to write a review about a stay. The host/hostess depends on these to be in good standing. I tried first on my phone and then on my computer, once home. No response to my request for help -- writing this in the only area I could find to actually contact anybody. A week later and no answer still.
My hostess happened to have a phone number for customer service (not sure where she got it) and I called. They had no work around for a way to submit a review w/o going on Google or Modzilla. I had no problem finding a place to stay, communicating with the owner, and making a payment with my Safari browser and so never suspected my browser was preventing me from interacting with them.
Very disappointed they can't do more to accommodate all their customers -- or at the very least tell people what browser is required. A disservice to the hosts and a disservice to the guests. A great company if one never experiences problems.

davidk235

Thank God I found BnBChat.Com

sarthakk
7/9/16

Upon reaching the island, the host aaked me to pay more than what I had paid while registering at airbnb.
The people on island told that there is no such guesthouse named Coral Heaven Maldives on Ghuraidhoo. Doesn't airbnb verify the registered guesthouses?

johnd597
7/9/16

Upon checking in to an airbnb in LA for a two week stay hosted by a man named Phyllis, I had to do a massive cleaning up of the entire place. There were dried chicken bones in the fridge, along with mold and other disgusting items. I was forced to go the store and purchase cleaning supplies to clean his fridge along with the entire airbnb. All the dishes were caked with dust and water marks. I did all this after checking in almost 4 and a half hours after the agreed upon check-in time, because he said he was waiting on your "maid/cleaner." For which he then agreed to reimburse me for half a day rental price. Then of course he never did. I even had to take out the trash! I chose not to write a negative review because that is not the kind of person I am, even after all that I went through. The host then had the audacity to write a negative review on me. Accusing me of "smoking" inside his nasty little Airbnb. After reading the negative slanted review you he wrote about me, when there was no smoking done in the house, I encouraged him to take it down or I will have to pursue other avenues to resolve this situation with Airbnb. As I dont think other renters should have to check-in to such a dirty and unkept place as where trash is full and bedding needs to be washed. Phyllis in LA with "Bugalo" DON'T rent it! It's absolutely disgusting!

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

81 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question