Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

davidm783
11/20/17

Our room in Arles, France was NOTHING like the picture portrayed in the home.
I won't go into to disappointing details .. , but we would not stay there, and we don't mind staying at a Super8 or Econlodge either.
Called AirBnB and told them of our situation. The asked up to take pictures to help document our claim. we took several pictures of the dirty bathroom, fridge etc

After two weeks, it was "DETERMINED" (how , I know not ) that we could receive a $100.00 credit. And as a bonus, we weren't charged for the cleaning fee, since we did not spend the night(s).

If you have an issue with your host or home, AirBnB will side with the landlord every time! They would rather lose your business than one of their 'clients' .

Forewarned. David Miller

larissal12
11/15/17

I've used Airbnb several times without issue. However, last week I had a horrific experience that Airbnb completely failed to resolve. My host canceled a 3-night booking in Mexico City on my day of arrival 2-hours before check-in. Airbnb did not phone to alert me to this significant last minute development, but rather sent an email. In the email, various "alternatives" were proposed - none of which were in remotely the same area of Mexico City, a massive metropolis - that I could book directly, or I could request my money back. #1 - the alternatives were not comparable. #2 - I had guests arriving within 2 hours, and did not have time to research, communicate and re-book (hoping that there would not be another last minute cancellation). #3 - In lieu of availing myself of a non-comparable alternative that would have considered time and effort (and luck - there was very little time to pull all of this together) on my part to reserve, the only option that I was left with was to request a refund. I was forced to book two hotel rooms last minute, incurring a cost $300 greater than my Airbnb booking. Airbnb offered no further assistance or recompense for the stress and extra expense that resulted from using their platform. Subsequently, I received a phone call purportedly to learn more about my point of view regarding what happened. When I said that Airbnb failed in its customer service, and that it did not provide me with assurance, as a paying guest, that I could depend on pre-booked and pre-paid accommodations, I was informed that it wasn't their fault. Problems happen, but Airbnb's management of the situation and subsequent follow-up was pathetic. I will not be booking ever again w/ them, and urge other travelers to be cautious as they also may not know that Airbnb hosts can cancel pre-paid bookings at the last minute, with no excuse and no assurance from Airbnb that you will be relocated to comparable accommodations.

cristinal17
11/10/17

I've used Airbnb a couple of times prior to this trip and had some decent experiences, but I will never use them again after this one. I will preface by saying that both my sister and I have traveled the world, been to many different countries and have stayed in hostels many times but never had an experience like this.

We booked a room in a house in New Orleans. The house stated that it was on Frenchman Street for those of you who are not familiar with this area, its a popular destination in New Orleans, lined with bars and restaurants where all the locals go to listen to live jazz music. Unfortunately, Airbnb does not disclose the exact address of the house until the day before your stay, they give you a radius to give you a general idea of where its located. Well, when we arrived at the house it was on the very far end of Frenchman Street, not at all in walking distance to that area as described (nor would it have been safe to walk, day or night, male or female, EVER). It was in a very bad, crime ridden area with bars on many of the windows and doors, and wood paneling covering windows that had been blown out. The house was not at all how it was described in the ad. We stepped outside for a moment to contemplate if it was safe to walk just around the corner to Walgreens, and within a few minutes someone made an attempt to rob us. I will spare the long details of this but luckily we escaped the situation unharmed. When we ran back into the house we discovered that someone left the door to the back patio unlocked. This was a shared space, meaning other guests were staying in other rooms just down the hall. Luckily no one had entered the home from off the street but we feared that if the guests accidentally left it unlocked again, that someone could enter the home in the middle of the night and rob us or worse. Also, there were no locks on our bedroom door, leaving our belongings at risk while we were out exploring the city. I realize that New Orleans suffered awful devastation from Hurricane Katrina and is still recovering and its really sad, but, Airbnb should be more forthcoming about the state of these houses/rooms.

This place was completely misrepresented. It said there was a porch overlooking the yard as well as street and two sets of french doors that open up into Frenchmen Street, letting in plenty of light and allowing for prime people watching. The french doors in the kitchen were bolted shut, and the only view from the porch was a very tall fence that separated the back of the house from the street, we couldnt view the street as stated. In addition, the house was unsanitary. The pillows were stained brown (very brown, spotted, DISGUSTING), the towels that were folded and placed on the bathroom counter were damp and smelled like mold, the toilet wasnt completely bolted down to the ground, etc.

Unfortunately Airbnb has a refund policy that protects them from just about anything. We contacted their customer support line immediately and worked with a case manager in an attempt to get a refund but they refused. They said that they cannot refund due to neighborhood factors, only things pertaining to the house itself; so we sent the pictures of the house and everything inside that was dirty (including those nasty pillows) but they still refused. We were also shocked that there were no reviews about any of these things which leads us to believe that perhaps the negative reviews are being deleted. After the incident I decided to do some more research on the company, and found that other people have experienced the following situations (also without refunds): door locks being broken when you arrive, getting kicked out of the house by disgruntled ex-spouses, cancelling peoples stays hours before their reservation, hosts openly using drugs in common spaces, getting kicked out by HOA reps because the host doesnt have rights to rent, not refunding people who were supposed to stay in Napa Valley during the devastating fires just to name a few. I dont care what their policy states, they should operate by whats right and whats wrong. This company has no moral compass whatsoever. It sounds like just about anyone can qualify to rent their space through Airbnb and misrepresent it in their ad. I would highly advise against using this service.

jobh10
11/9/17

We own two expensive homes that we rent out in vacation areas. This year we added Airbnb as a site to book our home in addition to Homeaway and VRBO. We had numerous rentals booked thru Airbnb as well as the other vendors and maintain 5 star status with excellent reviews. One of our last rentals of the seasons through Airbnb places a renter innonevour homes who did over $1,500 in damages. We contacted Airbnb immediately and contacted the renter as well. We supplied well documented pictures and a written estimate from the contractor with a full assessment of damage and costs to repair. Airbnb told us that our contractor must have a raised seal on his estimate paperwork and it cant be a Word document. We told them a small family owned contractor business does provides estimates on a home computer with simple letterhead. Then they wanted a video of the danage in addition to photos. It was a complete runaround and then they denied us payment. We are disgusted. We were disrespected as property owners by Airbnb and treated like we were trying to get one over on them when the renter is the bad guy. Anyway, a caution to property owners. Airbnb is not easy to deal with regarding property damage claims and we have decided to terminate them. Homeaway just earned our loyalty and rights to do business with us.

rosek47
11/7/17

We rented a place in Jacksonville, Florida only to find out halfway into the stay that the owner cannot lease out his property under the rules of the home owners association. He has done this to others yet Airbnb continues to keep his account active. Because of this one of our workers had their car towed and was told they had to leave today since this rental was not allowed. This not only cost us a tow bill, taxi, another hotel and lost time at the fair where we have a booth. We want a total refund not partial because of all the inconvenience. We have documentation to the fact that this person was warned more than once that renting his units was not allowed. Now we are having a heck of a time just trying to get our documents to Airbnb. If this is how the company operates we will go back to staying at hotels.

jenil4
11/7/17

BED BUGS IN HOTELS THAT WERE DISGUISED AS APARTMENTS. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. AIRBNB DOES NOT PUBLISH IT'S PHONE NUBMER, DOES NOT CARE ABOUT GUESTS, HANGS UP ON THEM AFTER ABUSIVE HOLD TIMES.

katys28
11/1/17

Awful hosts, awful customer service, just an awful company. Save time, save your money, and be stress free by going with any other company. You know the saying, "Wish someone would have told me?" Well your wish is being granted... Never book with Airbnb!

Tip for consumers: Airbnb's detailed ratings are all awful! They are the worst! Stay away from Airbnb.

paulj157
10/31/17

Without a doubt the worst booking site I have ever been on in my life,spent 1 hour trying to book a property,they want photos of you that have to be confirmed then after all the hassle i'm none the wiser that I have booked..avoid..

chilona
10/24/17

My maiden voyage with airbnb ended up a disaster! My online experience with airbnb was a bit clumsy but i figured it out and was able to make a reservation "Mountain Peek - Hosted by Jamie + Melissa" on September 27, 2017, I thought everything was fine and i was so excited to be able to experience this area from a new perspective..... Until, 2 days before we were supposed to be at this unit and the host cancelled our reservation. No reason was given, the airbnb folks said it was because "she was uncomfortable". I complied with everything that was asked of me and even filled out a profile in it's entirety in order to give enough details about my personal life to give anyone considering our requests a level of comfort.

The host cancelled the morning i was in communication with him/her via airbnb text, but in the texts, the host stated that the reservation was cancelled the day before. (the cancellation email was sent out the morning i was in communication - in fact 10 minutes prior). The hosts also told the airbnb folks that we had 9 people coming, and that was not true either, we only had 7 (and two of those were last minute tag alongs) The home was supposed to house a total of 7.

I contacted airbnb and asked them if there was a vetting process for hosts, and guess what, according to my representative, the answer is no. So there you go. I went on the airbnb site to give an official review to this host, and guess what, that is not allowed either. How am i to know that there were not more dissatisfied folks out there having their plans cancelled the last minute? I don't! All i know is that i am going to stick with the tried and true. My first and last experience with airbnb was unprofessional, disappointing and i don't need to learn this lesson again.

lindar235
10/22/17

Should you wish to give yourself an early heart attack...
Airbnb had a good concept but this is all it has. I met lots of nice people as a Host. The customer service is unbearable and inept; they speak in compliments and riddles, never substance, endless holding. No one is capable of resolving the smallest problem, or take responsibility.

You could not possibly get any worse customer service nor waste more time trying to resolve the simplest problem; no client satisfaction whatsoever. It took ABB from May to July to correct something (address and mapping area), never mind the random pricing which required my endless monitoring. The incompetence is rampant. After two years I quit. UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY, Pathetic.
Id rather chew nails.

Tip for consumers: Hosting - Do Not Use Airbnb, Seriously.

lindam463
10/20/17

We tried to book a property in AK 3x with 3 different dates and each time the property calendar showed the dates were available. Each time we got the autoresponder notice that those dates were not available even though they show available on the calendar. I am a vacation home owner and use VRBO (not so great either) to list my home, but at least my calendar functions and I can be reached by prospective guests. (The owner eventually stated that the calendar function had a "glitch.") Airbnb needs to provide a way to communicate with the owner in situations like this. I had thought of switching my property to Airbnb but will never do so now. Nor will I ever book another property through Airbnb.

barborat
10/17/17

I have to totally recommend, no words needed. Great people, great locations, feeling home everywhere.

stefanh39
10/12/17

Das Unternehmen würde ich wirklich niemanden empfehlen, denn die Bearbeitung von Beschwerden funktioniert überhaupt nicht.

jd215
10/9/17
• Updated review

I was going to refuse the charge on my credit card. Instead, I called the number attached to the charge on my credit card. I was then led into a process of conflict resolution where AirBnB refunded my money charging the host. I am very satisfied with AirBnB now except they seem to have intentionally made it nearly impossible to file a complaint and be heard.

“Airbnb fees are REALLY non-refundable”
3/10/17
• Previous review

Host texted that parking was no longer available. We cancelled. Airbnb kept their fee and obviously makes it impossible to contact them or post a review of host without staying there. Apparently Airbnb keeps their fee even if host completely cancelled or did not provide access.

Airbnb is not a responsible firm. They are collecting high fees commiserate with agents but ducking responsibility. Not worth savings. I'll try very hard to not use them again.

damodarp
10/8/17

Hi,

I have hosted my apartment for 2 months in Germany to Korian-canadian guy, who has recently moved to germany for work. It is shared accommodation that mean Private room and remaining, Living room, Kitchen and bathroom are shared. He has booked a private room from 30.11.2016 to 31.01.2018 and unfortunatly he had to travel to germany on 27.11.2016 because of Visa procedure. I have accepted that too and things went fine for first two weeks after his arrival.
It was my vacation time where I had traveled to India on 09.12.2016 to 16.01.2017 which was also informed him before the reservation was being done. On 09.12.2016 my Owner has visited the apartment and I had introduced this tenant to my owner. I left to India on 09.12.2016 and after that he has brought his girl friend on 13.12.2017 to apartment without informing me which I came to know though my Owner on 21.12.2016. Then I was not comfortable with him to keep him stay where I have shorthened his stay to 25.12.2017 through AIRBND request which was also accepted by him within 30 min.
He along with his GF had to leave the place by 25.12.2017, however he did not vacate the place and started staying further. I was not able to control the situation because I was in India. I had complained so many times to AIRBNB, however there was no action taken by them.

He started disturbing neighbors where my was contacted by neighbors for morethan 6 times in late nights. My owner has come with police on 08.01.2017 and thrown him along with his GF out.
Then my owner found the Damages (Wardrobe, holes on the walls, broken lamps, missing few kitchen items). My owner has written to Tenant an e.mail asking his explanation regarding the damages where he just answered that the damages were there when he arrived to apartment. The argument went-on for weeks and then Tenant stopped responding for our mails.

I had created a complaint to AIRBNB, where they had responded trice initially and then stopped responding for my request. My complaint was that the Tenant should pay back the rent for remaining stay (from 26.12.2016 to 08.01.2017) and the damage cost (estimated to 1750 eur). I had called to AIrbnb customer care after 2 months of this issue and then they started to work on this complaint again. AIRBNB offered me 140 eur as rent for his further 14 days stay and about 120 eur for the missing items (plates, glasses, cups). AIRBNB argues also that the Wardrobe, wall damanges, Lamp cannot be considered for damage since those come under usable items.
I had not accept this offer since this was unfair, so AIRBNB simply closed this complaint. I am proceeding legally to get the unpaid rent and damage cost from Tenant.

I agree provides suitable accommodation, however the customer service and the responses to customers are not at all good. AIRBNB had the customer rating was 4 out of 5 and now it has 1.6 out of 5. I still do not understand why AIRBNB is not taking care of this.

jasonc216
10/3/17

There are good rentors out there. I have experienced the hospitality of great hosts and had excellent Airbnb experiences. However there are bad ones and Airbnb does not care and require documentation of such a horrible experience.

The one star is for a horrible experience that I encountered in Seattle and Airbnb still stands by their position of zero help, others on the trip were fine. They obviously care more for the money then a rentee's experience. YRMV.

After being on the road for 12 hours, I got to my rental in Sammanish. I hope it would be basic and clean place to stay as I booked it for nearly a week.. My expectations were wrong.

No exterior lights were on. I used the front hillside terraced stairs which were at least 20 feet and could have been unsafe. A kid answered the door and directed me to the open garage to access the room more directly. He warned me about spider webs on the stairs. Okay.

So I went thru the garage and checked out the room. Basic okay. I started unpacking and settling in. I noticed there was no key. I went upstairs and another kid was there, smoking something. Foul smelling. MJ is illegal for anyone under 21. He called for his mom. His mom gave me a tour and told me there was no key for the room. I was uncomfortable with this. She said her husband would be back Monday night with the key. I was exhausted from the ride and made no comment. During the tour, the lights were out in two parts of the common area, the main living room and the hallway. She told me they were out for awhile, maybe she said a month or two. She asked me about them but I am no electronic and couldn't help. A broom was knocked over on the kitchen floor and water was spilled on the kitchen counter, she said from above. Okay.

The smell of whatever that teenager was smoking filled my room. The air was unbreathable and I have no clue what drug that teenager was smoking. I had enough. This place was not as advertised and beyond what I was comfortable with.

I called Airbnb, they could do nothing. Zack, the case manager, was unhelpful to say the least. At this time, I did not mention the drug use as I am no rat. I left after only 30 minutes to 1 hour of this foul environment. Zack requests documentation of the illegal drug use. I don't see how I can ask that kid to prove his license nor did I want to get into a discussion with the mother about supervising her children. I did not think to take pictures of the lights being out.

It is truly sad that Airbnb does not care about rentee's experience and doubts the word of an experienced traveler and user of Airbnb. What a headache and very disappointing of an otherwise excellent Airbnb experience. With a hotel, you know what to expect. Airbnb should be ashamed to have a garbage rental like this to be part of their business model. I sadly did not read carefully what other reviewers mentioned and failed to mention. I don't like talking nor using the word garbage but this experience definitely is garbage and not one I wish on anyone.

I am seriously considered using a known hotel chain for my future business. Zack's signature sign off is "Be the Adventure", the real truth is your room experience with Airbnb will be the adventure. Staying at a hotel and you will know what you are getting.

danielled82
9/27/17

A celebration was very quickly transformed into a monumental tragedy. Within a few hours of arriving to this home a part of our group was exposed to bed bugs- resulting in us all needing to take precautions to avoid further insult and injury. While Deans employees attempted to rectify the horrific experience it was a impossible feat given that the second location we were taken to in their array of apartments also had bed bugs upon inspection. Costas was understandable and as kind as a person could be. Lia attempted to remedy the situation and found a place to stay with another agency, but failed to inform them of entire situation putting us in a position to explain. They were obviously very upset and unhappy. We ultimately didn't stay with Airbnb- and fully blame Airbnb for their lack of a crisis plan, poor guidelines and policies and negligence. The company is not prepared for any such circumstance and believes it's within their rights to keep our money despite what happened during our first partial night stay in one of their registered apartments. The apartment we ultimately stayed in was not near the area we planned for, but was free of bed bugs so the bar was pretty low. Overall a god awful experience that I would not wish on my enemies. To say the cost to our overall group far exceed the cost of the apartment is a grand understatement to the tune of a few thousand dollars. I would stay away of boutique Athens until they understand completely how to manage communal apartments for travelers. I would also implore you to look elsewhere to book a place. Airbnb is not experienced and negligent in their practices. Especially given the fact that they admittedly asked us to go find a hotel that would be better equipped to handle "these types of situations". Because, all hotel guests should be exposed to the pests they have no plan to deal with.

knotth
9/24/17

First and last time on AIRBNB, the host (Tabitha ans Adam renting in Orlando) did not respond. I e -mailed them to find out why they did not respond. They replied that I did not write how many people were staying and that I did not say why we were staying in Orlando and then said that they do not respond to solicitations. The entire e mail was very strange. I filled out what dates needed, how many guests and why we were going to Orlando. I will never know why this host did not see that I filled out dates, guests and why we needed the condo. I will never understand why they said we were soliciting them. I can only guess that the AIRBNB wed site is a very poorly written web site. Poorly managed and full of $#*!s like Tabitha and Adam that are there to waste peoples time. Fortunately the next site I tried got us a better bigger cheaper condo in Orlando.

aliyahr2
9/21/17

SCAMMED.

LISTED AS BEING 1 BEDROOM. UPON ARRIVAL , JUST A STUDIO.

THEY SAID THE DESCRIPTION STATED IN SPANISH "OPEN SPACE" but their translate button did not show This.

Now I'm out of nearly 1k.

Customer support are not listening and telling me I should speak Spanish...LOl

suzied5
9/21/17

I just received notice less than 2 weeks from departure that my airbnb reservation in Chicago was canceled. The same thing happened the last time I booked a reservation last March in San Francisco. I am attending a conference and the conference is sold out at this point. This makes it difficult to find reasonable lodging so close to date. I have used airbnb for years and it seems service is not there anymore. Will look for another service.

georgeb188
9/18/17

I discovered landlords working the US system, taking advantage, changed conditions, check-in at impossible hours, claiming the money, flaring up over ageism, refusing to deny access and lodging, taking money for a ride. The system's computerized causing disregard. Check in before 12:30 or after 22:00 hours? Go away.

patriciav48
9/15/17

We are in Sorrento, Italy now. Booked an apt for 4 of us. Terrible experience. Electricity constantly goes off. Have to reset the power breaker 4 flights of stairs down 4-5 times per day. Power goes off even when we're not here. Also, no hot water for 3 days. No resolution so far from the property manager - he is pretty much mad every time we contact him. Will never book thru Airbnb again.

jackieg42
9/12/17

Where to start? Four hours and sixteen minutes on the phone to Air BnB customer service (officially logged in my phone), multiple emails back and forth (also officially logged), multiple tickets issued and three different case managers assigned (all for one issue that should never have become so complex), walking away having lost money as the paying customer buying the lifestyle Air BnB sold me... and at the end of all that, no solution! My accommodation was canceled on me last minute and that's what I got. Non existent customer service. To top it off, no way to escalate the issue to a higher level. Hands tied.

I'm also an Air BnB Super Host with a 5 star rating. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but issues with this company as both host and guest. Looking to divorce this company ASAP. Terrible business practices, heavily reliant on a computer system that is ridden with bugs. To top it off, incompetent staff who are unable to operate the bug ridden system and prefer to take the easy road, get you off the phone as quickly as possible. Of course, there's the exception of a few kind souls who try to clean up the mistakes of their comrades, but still fail (I suspect their hands are tied too). Company is an internal shambles. CEO clearly doesn't care much for the longevity of this business. I would steer clear!

richarda143
9/10/17

After a couple of previous satisfactory experiences with Air B & B , we booked and paid for bed and breakfast in Manchester, and with no communication from host arrived to find host not there. Booked into a nearby hotel and told Air B & B online and asked for a refund of NZ$66 paid. My Visa account was refunded within one day, and upon proof of what the extra hotel costs were, they also offered to reimburse me the additional cost of the hotel I had paid for, which was most unexpected!
We cannot speak highly enough of their exceptional service.
Richard and Christine Amery
Richard Amery.

shail87
9/7/17

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE YOURSELF AN EARLY HEART ATTACK VIA DISGUSTING SERVICE & SLOW FEEDBACK & POTENTIAL F*CKUPS OF HOLIDAYS - YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT F**KING SH*THOLE !

YOU COULD NOT GET WORSE SERVICE ! NO ONE CAN GET ANY PROBLEMS SORTED
NO CLIENT SATISFACTION
ONLY PATHETIC SERVICE
NO SUFFICIENT FEEDBACK
NO TIME FRAMES - EVERYTHING TAKES FOREVER (IE NEVER GETS SORTED OUT OR FIXED)

I HAVE HAD ENDLESS PROBLEMS AND THIS IS JUST TO BOOK THE ACCOMMODATION - I HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN TO THE APARTMENT YET.

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS USELESS PATHETIC AND UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY
YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS AND SH*T SERVICE

Tip for consumers: DONT USE AIRBNB EVER ! NOT WORTH YOUR TIME / MONEY / EFFORT (ACTUALLY NOT EVEN WORTH SH*T)

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D.

There is nothing IN THEORY that prevents negative reviews being posted on Airbnb. Guest and host both have 14 days after a ‘completed stay’ to post a review about each other – neither of which are published until the 14 days have elapsed. The host and guest apparently don’t get to see each other’s review before they are published. This is supposedly to prevent ‘retaliation reviews’ where guest/host sees a negative public review about them and posts an equally negative and possibly untrue review in retaliation. However, I have to agree with others that there is a suspiciously lopsided balance of reviews on the site – go and search for yourself in any location, eg Barcelona, Moscow, Sydney, London etc, with no filters applied, and try really hard to find a property with an overall ‘star rating’ (an amalgamated Airbnb score based on all reviews for that property) of 1, 2 , 3 or even 4 stars out of 5. The VAST majority of overall star ratings are 5 stars out of five, a few are 4.5 stars out of 5. This just doesn’t ring true. As someone said on a TripAdvisor forum, “common sense and experience dictates that you can’t please all of the people all of the time – Airbnb ratings seem to suggest the opposite.” I agree, they do. I don’t necessarily believe the positive reviews are fake or anything, just that it seems highly unlikely in such a huge online marketplace that there could be SO few negative reviews if the system was GENUINELY open and transparent. So I do concur with the theory that Airbnb somehow manages to block a large number of negative reviews. I don’t know whether that’s by Airbnb asserting its stated right to remove certain reviews, or because really bad properties - the kind where you turn up and immediately know you can’t stay there because they’re so awful – never get reviewed because if a guest leaves before 24 hours has elapsed it’s counted as a ‘cancellation’ and they are not allowed to post a review under Airbnb Terms and Conditions. Anyways, it all points to the fact that you need to do your research thoroughly and be appropriately wary when considering booking with Airbnb. Read all the Airbnb terms and conditions, check the host’s cancellation policy carefully, communicate with the host personally via the ‘Contact Host’ button on the listing BEFORE you fork out any money, etc…. generally just be a savvy consumer and don’t get too swept up in the trendy Airbnb PR message of the ‘sharing economy’. Treat Airbnb like any other rental advertisement site and apply the usual caveats and precautions. And take reviews with a healthy pinch of salt, just like you would with reviews on TripAdvisor, Amazon or any other popular ecommerce site.

By Susan M.

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F.

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M.

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w.

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G.

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B.

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J.
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

34 Photos for Airbnb