Review of Airbnb

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

loganm53
3/17/17

Airbnb is like no other. They did do hotels, what Uber did for the taxi business. They protect both the renter and owner - most sites favor one over the other. Not these guys. Money is in escrow until renter enter property and is satisfied. Owner is protected by a 1million insurance policy over damage of theft. I have only positive experiences with them.

sarahw177
3/15/17

I only got onto the airbnb website after being redirected there from bringfido.com when I was looking for pet friendly accommodation for a couple of nights. I couldn't believe what a disastrous setup for renters/consumers this website is. After teaser prices of say $80 per night, once fees had been added the total was three times the advertised rate. That's right, practically every offering was three times the initial price listed thanks to all the fees. It's practically fraud. Airbnb and the property owners must be laughing all the way to the bank, passing along fees to the customers like that. The risks and costs are all on the renter who could end up out of pocket and with no place to stay (or worse), I don't know why anyone would use it when they can get a budget hotel with guaranteed room and pretty much guaranteed safety for the same price or less. I understand airbnb may be part of the hookup culture and useful for being more immersed in a place, that's all very nice if you want the social side but still why pass the cost to the renter? I'm just waiting for there to be airnbnb murders etc (like the craigslist murders). Still, my biggest issue was the price gouging. Savvy travelers will take their business elsewhere.

anaisc
3/15/17

I have requested a low compensation of £86 (cleaning fees to repair and clean the mess) as a guest damaged my flat (proof with pictures), and pee on the mattress and cover! What did Airbnb? NOTHING and DECLINED my request! This is a disgusting behavior when you think that they make lots of money because of us and are unable to help when we need them.

yusufs15
3/14/17

I have good experiences and friends from there, never had a problem with people. But what I heard from people about their customer service is frustrating. I hope they figure out to solve this problem.

cc226
3/13/17

So many issues with them I do not know where to start from!
To start with anyone ever notivced than the price is lower when you are not logged in compared to when you login? Yes, that's a first trick!
My main issue has been with the horrible customer service. I needed to urgently book a room for 10 mights, I went throught the process, and wala!, they need to validate my card. I call them, as it was urgent, they assured me the dates would bve blocked, but no, they were not, and someone booked part of the days I needed. Yet, 24 hours later my card was not validated and I needed to urgenbtly find a place.
Do not trust them! It stinks from all sides.

kathyg79
3/11/17

I was just going to rent a property through Airbnb but after reading reviews...I'm staying far away!

lindam380
3/10/17

Found a place we wanted to stay and gave credit card info, etc. Then had to "verify" my existence by posting a photo that looked like my Facebook photo. I did. Then there was no place, none, nada, to send it. I kept getting emails from airbnb that I had 9, then 6, hours to verify. No way to contact anyone to see why my photo id didn't register. Finally, got an email saying my reservation was cancelled and the depost refunded. Yay! I booked on Homeaway.

anastasiai1
3/10/17

Hi, everyone! Here is $40 off your booking - www.airbnb.com/c/anastasiai746. ENJOY! !! :)

(I always have had a pleasant experience with them).

jd215
3/10/17

Host texted that parking was no longer available. We cancelled. Airbnb kept their fee and obviously makes it impossible to contact them or post a review of host without staying there. Apparently Airbnb keeps their fee even if host completely cancelled or did not provide access.

Airbnb is not a responsible firm. They are collecting high fees commiserate with agents but ducking responsibility. Not worth savings. I'll try very hard to not use them again.

janeh78
3/9/17

We are trying to list our property on Air BNB and it has been TERRIBLE. Website is not intuitive (VRBO and Flipkey super easy) and cannot reach anyone at Air BNB - I had a hard time even finding a phone number and once I did, was disconnected 2 times (again, unlike VRBO and Flipkey. Although VRBO has long wait times right now, at least you can speak to a person who will actually help you). Can't imagine being a traveler using them.

alexanderd37
3/8/17

Quality of service falls.
I am extremely unhappy.
My account is locked, because of some sort of security for me. A guest came to me through the AirBnB service, but the money remained in the blocked account. To my bank account, I could not translate. For this reason, I will have to explain to the guest that he should look for another apartment for rent.

rebelk1
3/5/17

Save yourselves some headaches and book with an established Hotel. You will not save a dime, but you can save the cost of pills.

danl78
3/4/17

I've been using the page for a while. Never had any issues after booking confirmation.

Sometimes hosts cancel but you can't blame Airbnb for that. Money is always returned within minutes.

Pros: Available everywhere, easy to book, funds protection

Cons: Can be a bit pricey in some cities (2x hotel price) yet very cheap in others.

In general I recommend Airbnb to everyone. Great alternative to hotels and money stays within local community :)

rutha63
3/1/17

The idea is swell. The implementation is horrible. The infrastructure to their service is non existent. My host confirmed two months in advance of my overseas trip. I checked two days before departure to learn the host had cancelled my lodging without telling me. AirBNB did not alert me either. That is a product, infrastructure issue. I tried to book with another host who showed immediate confirmation. I discovered not only was that not a true confirmation, but that host had not owned that property for two years. Again, an infrastructure issue. No one is monitoring the lodgings and the hosts. PLUS there was no way to write a review on that host because the lodging was cancelled.

Now let's get to customer service. They were useless. All they did is send me emails to dwellings I had already discarded. They would not offer more than a standard $200 to help with my booking which was for two weeks. $200 wouldn't even cover two days of any of the other residence. So, I could not afford any of the appropriate last minute lodging and Air would not help.

There was one host who had 7 appropriate lodgings. I asked Airbnb support to contact that person to see if any of her lodgings were available ASAP. I was about to depart. They said they would and two days later, they still had not come through. I was already in country staying in a hotel.

My third week was to be in another country on the beach. The night before arrival, the host sent me an email saying the sand fleas were over abundant, bring bug spray. Don't lounge on the beach.There was limited and poor wifi, almost no taxi service and no restaurants in the area. I was supposed to taxi from the airport, go to a supermarket, then get to the lodging with all my cooking supplies for four days. I had to cancel but was financially penalized. Air would not intervene or even address the issue. I lost over $500.

To make matters worse, any refunds took four contacts to initiate. The company needs to fix their software application to do the checks and balances on hosts and cancellations. The company needs humans to monitor and work with hosts to provide a standard level of service. The company needs to allow disappointed travelers to comment on hosts even if they don't stay at the lodging. But mostly, Air needs to monitor their hosts constantly and penalize those who damage their brand by misbehaving.

ryanm148
2/27/17

After easily setting up as a host on VRBO and TripAdvisor sites with ease and the ability to standardize my policies identically, I began to set up on Airbnb and oh my what a mistake! They will not allow you to use your own policies, you have to use theirs which are directly designed to screw you over. Instead of being standardized, you now have to make exceptions for every single booking which creates extra work, frustration, and a waste of time and money. On top of not being able to use my own cancellation, booking, rental policies, rates etc., they also will not allow you to communicate with potential guests outside of their horribly crappy platform and claim that it is for "safety reasons" (Yeah right, we all know you are just trying to handcuff users into using your platform). That means you cannot coordinate check-ins, answer phone calls and questions which creates tremendous frustration with potential guests. In addition to that, they make the guest pay 100% of their stay up front and they even hold the guests money and do not pay the host until after check-in. WHAT??? I am guessing that this is due to the fact that they are a money-leaking start-up that is basically using guest funds to fund their scam of a business, basically creating an interest free loan for themselves. I'm sorry, but I am not willing to put my reputation on the line for this chaotic, horrible start-up. Airbnb is FIRED and will never earn my business back.

patriciam173
2/24/17

As a host I have been subjected to their underhanded and unprofessional behavior coming from their "Trust and Safety" team e.g. blocking my listings from being booked WITHOUT informing or advising me in advance etc, and keeping totally quiet about it - resulting guests also being unable to book without any reason provided.

Their customer service team can be rude and very inconsistent with the quality of service e.g. one person says their policy is this, but another agent advises something totally contradictory !

Avoid Airbnb at all cost .

louiep9
2/23/17

No willingness or ability to deal with a dishonest host. Rate doubled overnight while my cousin was scheduled to view the property. Stay away from AIRBNB , you have no protection at all.

lisap209
2/22/17

I am a host and have over 200 properties listed. When a guest has an issue Airbnb have been refunding guests without my approval leaving is out of pocket by thousands of dollars this has happened over and over. They are always seeking the guests side and not owners. Makes sense from theee end, they don't nessisary need any new listings but always need more bookings. Getting fed up of dealing with them.

robertc313
2/21/17

Yes, I booked a stay for $758 which you have to pay as soon as you book. Then 3 days later another fee ($26) turns up on my credit card????!!!!! What do they think!!! Just be prepared for extra charges. And there doesn't seem to be anyone to communicate with. This computer world can be $#*!!!!!!!

barryb54
2/18/17

I been a airbnb host for 5 years. I had mostly good experiences. Some bad. They really try and make you pick Instant booking as a host. I was apprehensive because I don't really want to be overloaded in my apartment. So in the rules I just ask for 1 single person or 1 couple per bedroom. I got 4 men that instant booked a 2 bedroom and over the phone I asked them if they planned to have girls over they said yes. So now that's going to be 8 people in my condo that has 2 beds. I don't want that I wouldn't want this for my worst enemy. I asked Airbnb to cancel. they charged me a $100 to cancel. Then a week later they deactivated my account without as much as a phone call. They canceled all future bookings. Kept this weeks worth of bookings but have not paid out on any of them. I go to the site its locked. I try to contact the guest the extranet email has been turned off. I try and call airbnb and get no where. They say write us. I did. Nothing. They told me I was breaking the policy against discrimination against same sex couples. Never in my life would I ever do this. I simply don't want 8 people in a 2 bedroom. This is insane. They canceled $29,000 worth of bookings. I would go to other sites but airbnb has a strangle hold in this department. Flipkey is nice but are no where the foot traffic of airbnb and sad to say lately neither is homeaway or vrbo. Very sad I have 700 + stays 400 + 5 star reviews. Not even a second chance to correct it.

faridk
2/16/17

City: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

First of all, it is quite apparent that Airbnb does not have as much protection for it's guests compared with it's hosts who are it's source of income! Therefore, it cannot be a fair organization. My host was allowed to cancel my reservation on me after I had spent a lot time and money to select that property back in January. This was a shocking revelation to me that hosts can do such a thing even after payments are taken from my credit card. In my case, it was not even an emergency. It was just that another guest had offered my host a longer reservation (6 months) which conflicted with my booking. The host canceled my booking and took the other guests. Does this seem to be morally acceptable to you?

Secondly, Airbnb customer support was not there for 3 days when it was needed most to help me out! The person assigned to my case (Alex G.) was out of the office for 3 days and no one in the office would take care of her cases. Apparently, this is not Airbnb policy to reassign customer cases! While I was looking for another property to switch to, my repeated emails to Alex remained unanswered. When I called customer support line, I was told that I have to wait for Alex to return, and yet they would not tell me when she would come back to the office. How frustrating is that?

Thirdly, Airbnb does not really care about customer support. Why, you may ask? Well, here are a couple of good reasons:
1) There is no phone number to be found anywhere in Airbnb web page to contact customer support. I had to find it thru Google! If there is one in Airbnb web site, you have managed to hide it real well!
2) There is no obvious link in Airbnb web page to leave any feedback. I had to ask your customer support to get this hidden link. Don't you want to know what your customers think of your services? Why isn't there a clear feedback link right in your main page for people to provide feedback and rate your customer support? Note: This is not for the property. The feedback is for Airbnb itself.

I wonder if this feedback is going to bit bucket or if a real person is going to even read it. I am going to remain optimistic for a couple of days to see if anything results from this feedback.

Farid

kaitlinr2
2/16/17

We had to find a place to stay last minute due to weather/travel changes and the Airbnb platform is very difficult to use in a hurry from your phone and HIDES significant charges and fees ... the concept is great (attempting to trust in humans) but the surprise charges are severely disappointing

caln1
2/15/17

I don't mean to be rude, but I haven't found a vacation web site, (including Air B&B) that actually helps people find a vacation rental. They make you answer the questions they want and not what I want to find out. I've been trying for months to book a 3 month vacation in Mexico and between pop up on the sites and flipping me to other cities and even other countries it's almost impossible. They want you to enter dates and all they do then is add the dates times the nightly rate. Like that helps. Someone should look at how www.BBCanada works and make a website like that. At least there you can find what you're looking for.

peymana1
2/11/17

I have reserved a week at Clearater Florida in 4 months in advance through Airbnb for a very hefty price. A week later I received a disturbing email from Airbnb followed by a partial refund indicating that my reservation is cancelled by request of the guest! It was just a shocking news that how in the world that could happen. I lost 50% of my reservation cost. Since, I have already reserved the flight and car rental I had no choice rather than reserve another place but, this time through VRBO. Make the story short, I lost more than $3k on this reservation and the host NEVER received a penny from that fee! You figure out, who made the profit!

victorias36
2/10/17

I rented an apartment on Airbnb's website. From the photos and reviews I was impressed.

When I turned up to the apartment the host was in a rush and said that he didn't have time to show me around but said to call if any problems. He gave me the key and left.

When I went to use the kitchen I couldn't find a kettle. I then tried to use the hot plate which was very cheap/flimsy, when I pressed the on/off switch it simply came up with an error message and wouldn't come on.

I had to eat out that evening and is a problem for me because of my illness.

I reported this to Airbnb. Then the host sent a money request after I had checked out asking for full payment of £50 as he accused me of breaking the hot plate. I told him that I had tried to call him but he simply ignored any communication other than stressing for the money. He submitted a photo of the hot plate which showed no damage. Airbnb said that was enough evidence so ordered me to pay the host the money. Airbnb never even answered my complaint about the condition of the apartment.

Think twice before booking through Airbnb because it seems that they'll side with the host no matter what and you could be faced with a huge bill for something you never done. Be very careful. Overall very poor customer service and the system seems to be automated.

I have since closed my account and wont be using them ever again! AVOID!!

Missy

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

97 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question