US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

richardb284
1/15/17

Made a three night reservation for a total cost of over $900 and my credit card was charged. Then the "host" advised that the home would cost $164 more. As a result, I cancelled the reservation but Airbnb intends to keep my $101 service fee even though the reservation was cancelled within a couple of hours after it was made. I will fight this to the end of my life and my strong advice is to stay away from these crooks.

josefk6
1/13/17

he company has a very low standard for their hosts. They pretty much allow all sorts of scammers to "rent out" their "house." We had a major issue with an apartment, and Airbnb's customer service desk is simply not available to help. To begin with, you can't find their number on the website. The company purposely hide ways to contact them on the airbnb website. Once you find their number, (google search), typical wait time is about 30 mins. If you want to rent from Airbnb... do it at your own risk. Our host scammed us out of 160 dollars and Airbnb, after admitting the scam, refused to help.

zarat3
1/11/17

Thieves! Never trust the listing and pictures. What you get is never what you see. I arrived with my family on boxing day at the place we booked for our dream vacation and we could not believe what we've paid for. We paid premier, 4 months before our vacation. The holiday we had high hopes, immidiatley turned into hell for us. After going through a painful negociation with host and airbnb they agreed to partial refund on difficult terms if we leave immediately. I spent the whole christmas day and through the night listening to my kids crying from cold and exhaustion in the cold dungeon we booked as a luxury apartment while I was on the phone with them. Now after 20 days, airbnb refused to refund me, even the host has not received any payment from them! Thay are just sitting on the money and not replying their emails and phone calls. The staff were dishonest and careless for what you are going through. They are on minimum wage and doesn't give a damn about your situation.

robertj192
1/11/17

I HAVE CONTACTED TODAY AIR-BNB AGAIN TO RESOLVE MY ISSUE, I RANG 02033181111 SHE WAS SO RUDE AS I TOLD HER TO MAKE THE PAYMENT FROM THE SYSTEM BECAUSE I HAD WAIT ENOUGH, SHE SAID I CAN BE HAPPY THAT SHE EVEN TRY TO HELP ME WITH CONTACTING THE COSTUMER.. I SAID WHAT? I CAN BE HAPPY?? STUPID $#*! THIS COMPANY DOES NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILTY FOR THE MISSED PAYMENTS AND CAN NOT CONTROL PAYMENTS IF COSTUMER DONT WANT TO PAY YOU, THAN YOU WONT GET PAID. RUBBISH COMPANY....

johnh648
1/9/17

I had a major issue with my bed and had to cancel the stay. Airbnb and the host Caroline denied me any reimbursement. What's worse is that they wouldn't let me review my stay either, knowing that I wouldn't rate it highly.

Tip for consumers: Its better to look into hotels. They have much better customer service and if you book it through a online platform, they can't block your review.

nanamin
1/8/17

Airbnb host steal my money, and kicked me out of the house. Airbnb customer service took a long time to get connected, and didn't do much eventually. Using airbnb ruined my entire trip. I suggests stay away from airbnb.

johns1592
1/7/17

Booked. They said the needed ID. Gave them Passport and drivers licence ID but that was not good enough. They wanted Facebook or Linkedin??? I don't have either of these so could not book . I have now deleted my account with Airbnb and will never deal with Airbnb again!

pamh54
1/3/17

Ouu Family stayed at Shelleys Beach House at 5Woonum Rd Alexandra Headlands on the Sunshine Coast QLD Australia. There was 10 of us in this wonderful place. We had 6 Adults 1 child (Family from the UK) plus 2 Adults (my husband & myself) 2 Adults (our sons from Brisbane) We also had a visit from our Daughter from Melbourne & her boyfriend. We were all happy with the amount of Bedrooms, the Kitchen was well appointed with all we needed for cooking. The Lounge Room had enough comfortable seating for everyone. Dining Area & Outdoor Area with Seating & Coffee Table. The Pool was wonderful (with glass security screen) we all spent a fair bit of our time in this area. Shelley also had a large glass vessel filled with Cold Lemon Water for us on our arrival. we loved our area downstairs with the wonderful bedroom & large glass screened shower in our bedroom. We all thoroughly enjoyed our holiday & didnt want to leave. We also had visits from friends there we havent seen for years & they were also happy with the facilities. WELL DONE SHELLEY. You were so welcoming & happy to see that we were all happy. We thoroughly recommend staying in this wonderful relaxing place.

wokkimc
1/3/17

Airbnb informed me by email dated 29th May 2016, a refund amounting Malaysia Ringgit 240 to be sent to my credit card, but till today I have yet to receive the refund.

* Refund for the booking ZJX5NR

I had emailed them pertaining to the above issue but they did not reply me

jenniferg152
1/2/17

They had some random person list my home, which I was clearly unaware of until my door bell rang and a family was ready to stay for the week. Through the investigation process they could not send me photos that were listed and were very scripted with their answers to law enforcement as well as myself.

murugans1
12/31/16

NEVER LIST YOUR SPACE IN AIRBNB. MONEY LAUNDRERS DOING NO JUSTICE FOR THE COMMISSION. THEY HAVE NO COMPETITIION IN THIS SEGMENT AND I HOPE TO FIND A NICE COMPETITIOR SHOWING THEM WHAT MODESTY IS?? THEY CHEATED ME.

kristinen5
12/30/16

I had used it several times and it went well. However, this last time was a nightmare. Place was unsafe and misrepresented. Even though they acknowledged it at the time, when I wanted a refund, the hosts declined and airbnb didn't really do anything. It was the worse experience of my life and I travel for a living.

finbarrk
12/30/16

most guests were great however one left the house a state and airbnb doesn't seem to care!! if you are going to sign up www.airbnb.co.uk/c/finbarrk12 use this link please. Thank you.

jobranj
12/28/16

Their app got hacked a lot of time, and they did not fix their security, My account got hacked and opened from Latvia, China and TX, They changed the email address and turned off all the notification, I was charged $700 for a trip to China, luckily I noticed the extra charge on my bank statement, so I called them, I took them forever to refund me and they just asked me to change the email and the password, and I told them is that all what you can do?, I'm opening the app on my phone only, so that means there is no way in the world that someone hacked into my computer and changed the my account (I'm software engineer, so i'm not dumb).

mariol34
12/27/16

I booked a room for a week, but has difficulty uploading my ID so the transaction was never finalized. I then booked somewhere else and suddenly the first reservation was confirmed without my final approval. I cancelled the initial reservation within minutes of it being finalized and was still charged a fee. Of course, there is no number to call if you have an issue. I will not use air bnb again.

monical50
12/26/16

Rented an Airbnb house in Arlington, Tx a block from AT&T Stadium, once we entered the house and identified sleeping arrangements, I noticed what appeared to be a rodent dropping on a bath towel. Since I am terrified of mice, I moved the towel to show evidence to Host, and convinced myself that it wasn't what I thought...fast forward to later that night while we were relaxing watching tv in living room, a mouse made an appearance that freaked us out.

I immediately contacted the Host who was apologetic, said property is exterminated every six (6) months, due to late hour husband would stop by in the morning to address problem, and host also contacted Airbnb customer service for guidance. Host claimed that guest has never seen or made a complaint regarding rodent(s), which might have been true, but hard to believe considering the dropping on towel.

Airbnb rep phoned me to discuss and led me to believe that other accommodations were being look into and that she would phone me back in 15 minutes with an update. The rep failed to callback, we were tired, but could not retire for the night with a mouse running back and forth from under the leather sofa; therefore, we decided to take measures into our on hands to remove the mouse. After we determined that mouse had not taken shelter in leather sofa, we discovered an unused vent under a throw rug under said sofa was that contained an old radaitor beneath the floor.

We purchased steel wool and glue traps from Walmart, covered vent with steel wool, placed the rug back over vent, and put glue traps under sofa and in other corners of living room.

We tried unsuccessfully to secure other accommodations but all hotels were booked and there were not any Airbnb properties available near-by that could accodate a party of ten. Airbnb sent me an email to inform me that if we located another property that was more than we paid for house with the mouse that we would receive a 10% discount, to explain how to rebook with funds paid, that host cancelled reservation returning funds, but since we were unable to secure other accommodations. We had no choice but to remain in house with the mouse.

This was my first time renting an Airbnb house and my last time, it is not my desire to stay in a house with unacceptable conditions, and do business with company without any viable options to satisfy customer or willing monetarily to make it right. However, the Host offered us a one (1) night credit to appease us.

We reluctantly accepted because we had no other option, we trapped the mouse hopefully, but we also were trapped and had to stay in a house with a mouse.

tasham20
12/26/16

I have been using Airbnb for years. I have stayed in multiple states in the USA, in Paris, in Iquitos, Peru, and in Canada. The places I have stayed have always been exactly as described in the listing, the hosts have always been helpful and friendly, and I have never had any issues because I only stay at places that have 100% positive reviews by previous customers. All listings on Airbnb have a review section, written by other Airbnb guests that have stayed there. It is important to read them and do not stay anywhere that does not have any reviews at all or have any negative reviews.
Understand how the platform works. Airbnb is not a hotel company, it is a tech company, the hosts that list there homes for people to stay at can be dishonest, this is why it's important to read reviews and only choose places with good reviews.

jeffb189
12/25/16

A "Merry Christmas" from Airbnb. Please share this story and add any similar ones of your own.

In August I used Airbnb to book 9 night in a condominium for five people in Waikiki that was to begin on December 25. I paid in August. $4,657.00 paid in August. We have used Airbnb for a few years because it usually takes two hotel rooms to hold five people.

We landed in Waikiki today. The owner told me to contact "Tonie." I never did understand who he was. I exchanged text messages with Tonie. He said he was cleaning another condo and would be a little late. He said he also had to clean the place we were staying because another guest had just left.

We arrived at the condo at 3:50. We waited on the street because we didn't know exactly where the place was. Check in was supposed to be 3:00.

After about 15 minutes Tonie messaged me to say that a pipe had broken and we couldn't stay there. I guess it is possible that a pipe broke between the previous guest leaving and our arriving. It's possible, right?

Tonie and Sami from Airbnb contact me. After a short conversation he explained that Airbnb would refund the $4,657 (no interest for the 4.5 months) and give me a $200 credit on a future Airbnb stay. Although...I am not sure I'll want to risk it again.

Sami also said he would help us to find another place to stay in Waikiki and that if we couldn't find a comparable place we would get a $250-$300 credit for the night. I'm not sure why there was a range on the credit...

Sami sent an email with four places for us to look at. The previous place had been in Waikiki with two bedrooms and beds for five. None of the places Sami sent were close to comparable.

I was able to find one (one!) hotel in Waikiki that would take five people. For $849 per night (plus taxes).

I continued talking with Sami. He explained that I would get the $250-$300 credit (why the range?) for one night. After that they would help me to look on Airbnb again. I explained that I did not want to spend my vacation looking for places to move to and being the prime holiday time in Waikiki there, at least as of now, are no comparable places in Waikiki over the next nine days.

Before passing final judgement I am waiting to hear from Airbnb. If they refund my money (even without interest), give me the $200 credit, and pay for $300 per night this will be an "Airbnb comes through and saves the day" story.

If I end up paying the $4,000 extra myself I will have lost all faith in Airbnb. I will be very disappointed that people looking to enjoy their vacation have to worry that if something goes wrong Airbnb does not care.

I will follow up after I hear from them again.

jawadb8
12/23/16

Very disappointed by airbnb's customer service in helping find a resolution for the cancellation of a recent booking.Although I provided strong rationale for booking cancellation including misrepresentation of property on site, serious safety issues and overall lack of cleanliness, airbnb customer service representative (Emma K.) declined to refund my booking and refused to escalate issue to a supervisor to find a fair resolution.
The case manager seemed biased towards the host and used only host's argument to close the case in her favor based on inaccurate and unsubstantiated statement. Despite several emails and calls, I was not able to talk to a manager or supervisor to understand rationale behind decision. In my last attempt, customer representative even hanged-up on me without putting me through a supervisor to further explain my case and challenge decision. This is not the customer service I would have expected from a highly regarded travel company like airbnb.
This is indeed the worst customer service I received in my life.
I spent countless hours over the phone and by email for no results.My points which were substantiated by factual statements and pictures were dismissed with no reason.

williamw154
12/19/16

Airbnb is not good company. I have a emergency, need cancel the deal. They said refund my 7 days trip. But not. I will never never never not use Airbnb

vladi217
12/17/16

After confirmation from KimLan we prepaid our stay in Joli studio centre Tignes 73320 2PAX, owners KimLan. After 3 months of our prepaid booking KimLan cancelled our trip, Airbnb just informed us that refund would be made within 5 days. My wife and I were shocked because to book studio 25 Sept,16 and today 18 Dec 16 is completely different in sky resort for the trip starting 14 Jan,17. we first time come across with such issue and this is fully unacceptable for such company like AirBNB.

From: Airbnb <automated@airbnb.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 18:18:17 +0000
To: <>
Subject: Reservation Canceled at Joli studio centre Tignes73320 2PAX. Were here to help!
Your host has canceled your reservation.

KimLan said:

AirBNB sont des escrocs qui Mettent en avant une hyper flexibilité qui cachent mal des escroqueries. Désolée pour vous. http://www.tignes.net/sejour/reservation?hebergements=1 Salutations distinguées Sylvie VO 0781738977

LISTING
Joli studio centre Tignes73320 2PAX
View original receipt
ARRIVE
Sat, January 14, 2017
DEPART
Sun, January 15, 2017

What are my next steps?

Not to worry! Weve already issued a full refund of 6532 back to you. While this refund is immediate on our part, it may take up to five business days for the refund to reflect in your account.
Book Another Place

Sent with from Airbnb
Email preferences

2016-12-17 18:18:16 +0000

benl73
12/16/16

Was blamed by host for a stain on couch that was done by previous guests. Airbnb was involved in the remediation and they favored the host believing all his lies and making me pay for damages we didn't cause. Worst customer service/ experience ever. Avoid this company!

heatherf55
12/14/16

Air B&B is a total joke! I strongly suggest no one use it. We booked a house for $1500 for our family Disneyland trip and the pictures of the house made it look awesome but when we showed up we realized immediately they had falsely advertised the place. It was listed as being on Disneyland Drive but that is not where it was. It was in a bad part of town where there were bars on every window and the neighborhood was trashy and run down. That wasn't even that big of a deal. It was posted as a privately owned condo but it was a crappy apartment building. In the listing it stated it had a washer and dryer in the condo but it was a seperate laundry area for the whole apartment complex that you had to pay to use and stand there and wait for it to be done. The listing stated it had 2 car parking, but it did not. It had a small covered parking area that parked one car and it was so tiny our car didnt fit in it without us having to climb out the back hatch of the car. So we drove around looking for alternative parking and the nearest place we could park was 12 blocks away. Really? 12 blocks of walking with kids after walking all day at Disneyland.....I don't think so. It said the house slept 10, but there was no possible way for that. The house was filthy. The walls were all scraped and scuffed and dirty, cobwebs everywhere, moldy shower curtain, drool stains on the pillows, dirty used bars of soap and loofahs in the drawers and showers, no light bulbs in any of the fixtures or lamps, clumps of hair in the sink and drawers, carpets hadn't been vaccumed, floors hadn't been swept, coffee had been spilled on the counters and was dripping down the cupboards, the fridge was disgusting and made a super loud buzzing noise, and the neighbors were loud and you could hear people running through the other units. It was gross and dirty and nothing like described. We left immediately and contacted Air B&B and booked 3 last minute hotel rooms which was expensive. We followed the rules to filing a claim and getting a refund on the website and they won't refund us. Seriously?! The people lied about everything down to the location and we paid a cleaning fee on a house that definitely wasn't cleaned before we came. So how can they not refund us?!

leslied36
12/13/16

DO NOT RENT FROM FAYYAZ. HE WILL SCAM YOU OUT OF MONEY!!!!
Club de Soleil 1 bed
5625 West Tropicana Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89109

He told me to cancel in order to get a FULL refund, then he REJECTED the request after he told me to cancel. Airbnb did nothing about it. They wanted to give me a useless credit that didn't cover loss of $185. Then you can't write a review unless you complete your reservation. Complete SCAM. DO NOT MAKE RESERVATIONS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE ABOUT YOUR PLANS AND WHO YOU'RE RENTING FROM. 12.13.16

leef62
12/10/16

Booked accommodation in Manhattan NYC with a female Latino and confirmed 24 hrs prior to departure from Australia. Seven hours late due to airline issues and when I arrived, a male was opening the door to the apartment where I was booked to stay. He closed the door as he stated that he did not know her and I was left with a flat mobile at 1240AM. I asked a complete stranger to assist me and when she rang her, she was half a klm down the street and around the corner but did not have the decency to come and meet met. 'Where have you been? You are seven hours late and I have been waiting for you all day. I have wasted my whole day because of you'. I was taken to a substandard accommodation in disrepair - air conditioner hanging out of the wall, sink/stove/fridge with no bench space was the kitchen, bathroom tiles were never grouted, dirty and loose and the bath was porous and unhygienic. Upstairs was lacking in any form of soundproofing so every movement from an insomniac was heard and no sleep. Contacted Airbnb after my return to Australia (seven week trip) and TOO LATE TO COMPLAIN. They they asked me for photos which I was ready to send to them and they closed my case without any communication with me. Clearly there is profit to be made in NYC accommodation and they do not want to delist these profit making ventures. BEWARE OF MANHATTAN AIRBNB OPERATORS.

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

89 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question