Review of Airbnb

Tel: 1-855-424-7262
terms@airbnb.com

timf66
7/26/17

A large payment just disappeared .. never showed paid and I absolutely CANNOT get an answer from ANYONE as to where my money is for over 2 weeks now, hours on hold, multiple referrals to their "Trust & Safety" never a return email never a resolution and NO RECOURSE at all!!

they're fine until there's a problem then you're screwed!

sandeepr9
7/25/17

I have booked a room, through airbnb website online, while booking my net connection fluctuated,
I was worried but one of my friend Kishore suggested me to wait for the confirmation, he is president of aibnc.website.
After 5 minute when I have re check my email I got confirmation, but still I was worried about the room because the room rate was very much cheaper other website, when finally we have reached Shillong golf link I was very happy the hotel staff welcomed us and shown us our room it was very good. Overall it was a nice experience

lillianl21
7/24/17

They send guest who broke $4500 sliding door
Airbnb has been harassing me with email of the so call customer service rep who is in some Asian or African country
terrible English and only thing they are saying is I am sorry
I send pictures 2 estimates ,statement from guest who follow the guest who broke the door frame but it was not good!?????
Now I have to pay for repair/replacement myself when I got money
I am so sad that company is continuing to harass me with email asking over and over for pictures they have even I told them several times to stop

They are rude unprofessional and anusive by giving me ultimatum 48. Hours for their incompetence not able to connect undsmage and damage sliding door frame

patriciac58
7/20/17

I moved to 29 Palms, calif to be a host renting out a room. Air B & b asked twice for my drivers lic. i sent as requested. The next day I get a email that i am banned for life. I never even had a ticket.clean back ground etc. The will not give me a answer as to why. I can not even look up a property on their site. WTF

elizabetht84
7/20/17

A guest damaged my apartment and agreed to pay for the damage, but we couldn't agree on the amount. We asked airbnb to step in. I missed an email and as a result, the case was closed without an ability to re-open. All my documentation had been uploaded so I'm unsure why they weren't able to process the claim. Representatives said they couldn't re-open the case, since it was policy. Remember, guest and I want to continue the claim. Not sure why airbnb thinks it's on them to apply a policy that makes no common sense.

jeanethm
7/20/17

We are hosting Airbnb for about 2 months now and honestly we couldn't been happier. Its a very organized company, lots of help, website is super straightforward with lots of helping tips. The money were deposited as promised and all the guests were lovely people. We plan to continuing hosting Airbnb clients and use Airbnb as guests as long as we can.

sb221
7/20/17

Terrible for hosts. Does not have a way to enter local taxes, so we have to eat the cost and pay for it ourselves. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE CONTACT TO BE FOUND ON THEIR WEBSITE. I had to find a phone number on a website called "airbnbhell.com", because they do not want to talk to their customers. Very poor resolution of issues even when you do talk to them. Damage deposits claims not paid to owner despite having photos of damage. No way to get renters to sign a rental agreement through their site/app. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EXPERIENCED - I never thought I would feel this way, but VRBO is MUCH better.

jillm101
7/19/17

I booked a place, paid for it and within an hour the guy cancelled our trip stating family emergency. Now I can't book another one because my money is not in my account!!! Also, I read the strict cancellation policy for us, the travelers. How we would only receive 50% back if cancelled. Well why don't the ones offering the places have a similar rule. They can just cancel at any time without consequence.

allenb65
7/19/17

Took about 3 hours and much scanning, etc. to meet Airbnb's requests. Have used Airbnb back in 2016 and early 2017, and booked a stay in August just about a week ago.

Have been searching Airbnb for a future stay over the past month almost every other day, to stay in a city that is having a convention. Hard to find places that are reasonable and even available 6 months in advance. A host and I were having a good conversation and they gave me a deal - they changed the price on the dates of interest for me, and all I had to do was book it. I couldn't! When I went to book it, Airbnb said my original photo (that allowed 3 other bookings) was not a quality photo and they wanted a new one. I don't like having photos on line, but in order to continue, I clicked on the link to load another photo that I have on my laptop. Well, just a regular photo is not sufficient - they wanted a License, Passport or Visa.
This, from the standpoint of hacking and giving out important docs is a no-no. BUT, I did scan my license, front and back, scanned both sides and loaded it. They then wanted a photo, and it had to be loaded via their app (apparently on a smart phone) or via the browser. I don't have a smart phone and though I've had a laptop with a camera, I had never used it as I don't have a reason to and it is also a security risk.
The camera didn't want to work. After about 2 hours, I got the camera to work - I had upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and the drivers were not apparently good. So I found the drivers and installed. Now the camera seemed to want to work. I had the web browser/camera take a pic. After ALL this, it allowed me to continue, to book, but only got so far. They then told me that I had to redo the license because I had scanned it in Black and White. So I rescanned in color, both sides, loaded it up. Took another photo via the camera, and went ahead. Got another error indicating that the license had to be an unmodified scan/image. I had modified the area of my social security number, as again, this is a major violation of security and this is going to be stored on line where Airbnb WILL eventually get hacked. So I had to rescan the license, again in color, and this time give up my own personal security. This worked and I got to make the request to book for the dates and apparently at the price that the host and I agreed to, assuming that all is well, but it is now in the host's hands. (Though I think I have resolved my issues, past experience indicates they will not like something or another thing will come up.)

I had contacted Airbnb Customer Service when I had the issues noted above - not an easy task by the way. I explained that I had been a member for 3 years plus, had used Airbnb twice in the past, had just booked a $1000 stay last week and was now being challenged. (I was challenged a few months back, but I got an email out to customer service and she said that it was a mistake and reset things.) One of the two hosts in the past indicated that they would love to have me back as I was the cleanest person that they had rented too - also said from a small hotel I stayed in in Sri Lanka. I was on the line with the rep for about 5 mins on hold as he checked to see what could be done about not using my camera on my laptop. Problem is that most people have phones that access the internet, can text, can do photos - not my flip phone. I was told there was no way around this - so I had to go to a library, use a friends computer or find another computer/device with an internet connection where I could log into my account and take that photo.

Having ones License, Passport or Visa information stored away in a company's database is not a very re-assuring thing, especially with all the hacking that goes on. I've had a government secret clearance in the past, and we are taught to fly under the radar - photos, IDs, important social security numbers, etc. shouldn't readily be given out. I try to keep a very low profile - I have been the host of my own tv show, have appeared on tv shows/books/magazines/newspapers, etc. I don't want my information or photos floating around out there - one is asking for trouble if this info is out there at all.

If I have been using Airbnb for a few years, had good reviews, there have been no issues with payment or issues of any kind, I can't see the reason for them to demand all the info that was recently requested. This was also a timely issue - as a host had made some changes so that I could do a booking, asap.

Those using Airbnb are walking on egg shells - just waiting for them to have issues with data loss due to hacking. This important information shouldn't be in the hands of a company like this.

levip19
7/18/17

I really don't understand all the poor reviews for Airbnb here! I have used Airbnb around ten times over the past few years. I am currently staying in an Airbnb apartment in Buenos Aires, and a few weeks ago my partner and I were in a lovely Airbnb house in Brighton.

It's definitely worth taking your time choosing where to stay. I tend to avoid places that lool like a company renting out multiple properties. I also only go for places that have plenty of good reviews (for me, good reviews are as important as a good location, and defintely more important than great photos).

I much prefer the experience of staying in an Airbnb property compared with a hotel. You tend to get more space and more interesting experiences.

Having said all this, I have never had any problems with the hosts or properties I've stayed in, so I can't comment on how good Airbnb is at resolving difficulties. Also I wish that Airbnb allowed you to sort the search results by price on their site.

Cut and paste the address below and you'll get £30 off your first stay (I also get a credit of £15):

www.airbnb.com/c/lpay

Enjoy!

maysac
7/17/17

Airbnb is a very incomprehensible website that makes it very difficult for you to change or cancel dates and track the money you've paid.

I made a long-term reservation for 62 nights and before departure I got a severe accident and had to cancel the trip. I couldn't somehow enter the webpage so I contacted the host that seemed so nice before to cancel the reservation. It was 5 days before departure. But the host never responded and because of my health condition I couldn't follow-up until today. I realised the cancellation policy is to pay 1 month + extra a lot of money for I don't know what.
I feel ripped off. I understand paying cancellation is normal but for 1 month????

I just feel the whole website is to confuse you and your booking. I really had a terrible experience with this website and will never use it because it is obviously not users-friendly!

lilyh17
7/16/17

I want give it a lower score if I could! Their host are frauds! I made reservation in Airbnb and paid upfront on their site in May 2017 a trip in August 2017. I even contacted the host expressing my excitement! They cancelled my reservation because they got a higher rate through VRBO! The worst thing is the service I received from Adrianna at Airbnb! She didn't care and was unapologetic and try to blame the situation to me. Don't ever use them! They have no service and the host are frauds!!!!

anamariam1
7/16/17

I used Airbnb for the first time instead of going for my trusted Booking, and TripAdvisor. The host was listed as a female, and ended up being some sketchy dude that wanted me to come get the keys from him and leave my boyfriend in the airport because he had a delay of one hour in his flight. After he bullied us for check out time, and harassed us, he left me a terrible 1 star review. I will never use Airbnb again, in fact I cancelled my account and will continue with Booking form now on.

josephl75
7/15/17

He prank called me many times and hung up.I Google the number.Then he says I could not be reached.Canada number.his name is benjamen.If you call for an issue and you got him..hang up...you are doomed

lacya7
7/13/17

I would give 0 stars if I could. My first rental canceled within a month of the trip. Then the "case manager" who was supossed to help me continually made the process more difficult. I couldn't even get to her supervisor or anyone that could or wanted to help me. I'd NEVER use Airbnb again no matter what this place ends up being like. A hotel is just so much easier and had service that actually aims to help their customers unlike Arlene. Overall not worth the effort, book a hotel online.

grcnk
7/12/17

First problem:
I had to changed my credit card as it was hacked which i had use for reservation. However even i explained the situation they cancel out my reservation and get a service fee. and do my reservation again and pay the service bill again.
second problem;
As a summary , After my accommodation; I realized that the one and only negative noticement which i had written was published to public on his dashboard and the other %99 positive things were hidden and nıt published.
So i try to fix it, however not allowed by Airbnb. I had written several times to correct it, even offer to merge the two reviews, nothing changed.
After all I cancelled my subscription from Airbnb, and will never use it anymore..

marya722
7/12/17

THIS IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY. Their website and employees promise one thing but they do another. PAYOUTS TAKE OVER A WEEK. They say that they process a pay out within 24 hours of a guest checking in. My guest checked in on Sunday and the payment was not sent until Wednesday. I asked for an ACH which, normally, takes a few hours. They didn't send the payout ACH. I called for assistance and was lied to several times. The supervisor, Michael, told me that there was a problem with the guest's payment. I had verified weeks earlier that the payment had been received in full. Then, he told me that there were no managers to speak with me and refused to provide a number for their corporate offices, though I repeatedly asked for one. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!! They still owe me nearly $13,000 for a one week stay.

kims265
7/10/17

Either Airbnb or their hosts should have some kind of penalty for cancelling at the last minute. As a visitor if I cancel I lose most if not all of the booking fee. They cancel at the last minute and we're just SOL. I will NEVER even bother looking at their website again.

lorik99
7/10/17

Received our check in instructions AFTER check in time. Finally got into the apartment and there was no air conditioning, even though I checked with our host to confirm there would be. Smoke detectors were dismantled, shower curtain was moldy and held up but a pole and cardboard. Shower stall was molding. Contacted host immediately who OFFERED a full refund, which we agreed to and now he won't return my text or emails and Air BNB is refusing to refund our money!!!!

michelem85
7/9/17

AIRBNB allows false statements to be made of your rental. All you are allowed to do is write a rebuttal. When I had damage to my antique organ, AIRBNB gave me no help at all. I've stopped using AIRBND.

ronb115
7/5/17

This is such an interesting thread and I wonder if my situation is unique.
The only thing I can review is the pre-booking and Contact host system which, for me, proved very frustrating.

Recently I spent the better part of an afternoon going through the snakes and ladders registration process and after assistance from a very friendly, thorough Customer Service Rep. I was all set.

I then spent some time learning about the listing format, maps, pricing etc.

So being ready use Airbnb, I set out to find a nice suitable 4 day stay, at a specific location and time.

4 requests, 4 failures.
Request 1;
Immediate reply was a bait and switch as the host was really looking for a month long pet sitter and wanted to meet off airbnb.
Request 2;
No reply and within a few hours the site showed This listing is no longer available.
Request 3;
Quick reply but stated they were changing to longer bookings than the 3 day minimum stated, would be changing their calendar and were denying my request unless I wanted to book longer. More bait and switch? A week later the calendar still shows 3 day min.
Request 4;
Very similar to 3 above; a quick response, with apologies, for not keeping their calendar up to date. Said current guest would be staying longer than originally planned. This is July and I was looking for time in October. Strange.

Another disturbing element is the number of times guests have had bookings cancelled by hosts, sometimes only days before arrival, like alan0721 above. Imagine that chaos.

Complaining on the Airbnb Community Center will only hurt because it is run by hosts.

So, I will not give up yet but so far, I am not impressed.

janicer33
7/4/17

Wow, first and last experience! I don't know what AIRBNB is doing for the handsome service charges they get! I think I paid an $86 dollar fee and this is such a SCAM, worse than craigslist & ebay in their early years! NOT SAFE!

They make sure their site looks like a safe place VIA REVIEWS and the REVIEWS are a total SCAM because you can ONLY LEAVE reviews at the end of your stay. If your host cancels on you after you arrive, NO REVIEWS ALLOWED! Can you imagine that? You book a place for a week, pack up your things and family, arrive at your destination and your hosts cancels and there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING you can do--AIRBNB does not care! And they make sure you cannot tell anyone about your hosts action! You're stranded in a busy vacation area and then have to pay out of the nose for a place that likely isn't even close to where you expected to be!

Any positive reviews on the site are useless because if everyone were allowed to leave reviews of their TRUE experience the place would go out of business.

I hope someone takes this idea and RUNS IT CORRECTLY and monitors and makes it safe and guaranteed and runs this AIRBNB out of business. They offer all kinds of incentives to get people to lure others into this very bad situation. I'm making sure everyone I know never falls for this place like we did!

elnoras
7/4/17

We rented a Condo From Host Tarim in Las vegas in May, 2017. The place was filthy dirty, it was supposed to have a "fully" kitchen. There was a fridge with left over food in it from previous renters, there was a stove, filthy dirty, grease all over it. No essential cooking pots, pans, Bathtub was black with soap scum, no hand or face towels, only 2 bath towels for a weeks stay. No access to Pool/barbque as stated in amenities on site. Owner was not permitted to have a key for access from the HOA. He would not refund us any money, stated that this was not a 5 star hotel. Contacted AIRBNB and it took numerous calls and 3 weeks to receive a partial refund. We had booked this condo as it was our anniversary and we were left with no solution but to return home (Canada) as we couldn't afford to spend another $1000.00 for another place. Terrible Host & customer experience with AIRBNB

captj
7/1/17

I booked a cottage on one of the keys in Florida in April for the end of Sept 2017. It I was charged $170.00, I cancelled the last of June because of my son's wedding day (which is not in their policy), the host granted a refund of $97.00, and AIRBNB kept the rest. The resolution site is pitiful, and this being my first time using them will b my last time. But thank you to the host, sheila. I will stick with hotels.com, I'm 2 stays from a free stay! :-) kellie

caleeb
6/30/17

I made reservations using the Airbnb app to stay with Daniel at a location in Bethlehem PA, from June 10 -30. I couldn't get a flight out so I ask to extend my stay and check out 7-2-17...see how I got kicked out on the street.

Daniel I couldn't find a flight out of ABE until July 2. Is the house available, can I check out July 2nd instead of the 30th

Hi C

Yes, you can stay 2 more days for only $107 more. I would love to host you for longer!

If you are interested, I will add these extra days to your reservations. Please let me know.

Best,
Daniel

I am interested please add them to my reservation thank you

Hi C,

I added the additional days to your reservation. Please let me know if you need anything!

Best,

Morning of check out: Hi C,

I am sorry for the confusion an extension was sent but it was never accepted so I apologise for any mistake we have given but unfortunately, our home is now booked with another guest today.

Thanks,
Daniel

I NEVER RECEIVED AN EXTENSION! I had to dump 2 day worth of food and jam pack my belonging and get out in 30 minutes. If this was a hotel, they couldn't do so by law. I don't think all Airbnb operators are like this. If you go to Bethlehem PA, don't stay at and Airbnb on East 4th street.

2 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

AirBnB is the worst. You might be able to go to the resolution centre, but previous posts are correct. Watch your money with them. Once they make an error it's hard to get it back. You may have to go through the credit card you charged it to and even then the dispute process might take awhile. Hopefully, you have other money to use in the mean time or the date of your trip is at least weeks out? They are asking you to "verify your ID" so they can gain access to your linked in, Facebook and google contacts. They say it's a security measure to protect you and everyone else but it's not. They are pirating your info. They take your contacts and use it as a marketing tool for themselves or sell the contacts to other distributors. It's very common with sites like this now. If you want to continue using AirBnB you have no choice unfortunately.

By Marcus D. on 7/28/15
Helpful answer

There is nothing IN THEORY that prevents negative reviews being posted on Airbnb. Guest and host both have 14 days after a ‘completed stay’ to post a review about each other – neither of which are published until the 14 days have elapsed. The host and guest apparently don’t get to see each other’s review before they are published. This is supposedly to prevent ‘retaliation reviews’ where guest/host sees a negative public review about them and posts an equally negative and possibly untrue review in retaliation. However, I have to agree with others that there is a suspiciously lopsided balance of reviews on the site – go and search for yourself in any location, eg Barcelona, Moscow, Sydney, London etc, with no filters applied, and try really hard to find a property with an overall ‘star rating’ (an amalgamated Airbnb score based on all reviews for that property) of 1, 2 , 3 or even 4 stars out of 5. The VAST majority of overall star ratings are 5 stars out of five, a few are 4.5 stars out of 5. This just doesn’t ring true. As someone said on a TripAdvisor forum, “common sense and experience dictates that you can’t please all of the people all of the time – Airbnb ratings seem to suggest the opposite.” I agree, they do. I don’t necessarily believe the positive reviews are fake or anything, just that it seems highly unlikely in such a huge online marketplace that there could be SO few negative reviews if the system was GENUINELY open and transparent. So I do concur with the theory that Airbnb somehow manages to block a large number of negative reviews. I don’t know whether that’s by Airbnb asserting its stated right to remove certain reviews, or because really bad properties - the kind where you turn up and immediately know you can’t stay there because they’re so awful – never get reviewed because if a guest leaves before 24 hours has elapsed it’s counted as a ‘cancellation’ and they are not allowed to post a review under Airbnb Terms and Conditions. Anyways, it all points to the fact that you need to do your research thoroughly and be appropriately wary when considering booking with Airbnb. Read all the Airbnb terms and conditions, check the host’s cancellation policy carefully, communicate with the host personally via the ‘Contact Host’ button on the listing BEFORE you fork out any money, etc…. generally just be a savvy consumer and don’t get too swept up in the trendy Airbnb PR message of the ‘sharing economy’. Treat Airbnb like any other rental advertisement site and apply the usual caveats and precautions. And take reviews with a healthy pinch of salt, just like you would with reviews on TripAdvisor, Amazon or any other popular ecommerce site.

By Susan M. on 11/27/12
Helpful answer

You don't. The only thing that you can be sure of is that if you have a problem Airbnb will be unreachable. They hide from dissatisfied customers and hosts alike. You are taking big chances when you deal with them. The benefits just aren't worth the risks.

By Mark F. on 9/10/15
Helpful answer

I haven't been a host, but would certainly recommend that you read ALL the reviews here before getting involved with Airbnb. I can't think of ANY business of ANY type I would patronize that got a 1.5 star rating after 382 reviews.

By Sally M. on 10/29/15
Helpful answer

As a host & licensed realtor with multiple properties in both Los Angeles & Las Vegas which I book directly and also have listed with multiple vacation rental agencies, SAVE YOURSELF TIME, MONEY & AGGRAVATION by booking either DIRECTLY with the host or through other REPUTABLE agencies, such as Roomorama.

By cheri w. on 10/10/15
Helpful answer

You will NOT get all your money back. Airbnb will KEEP the booking fee and the host may keep all or a percentage of the rate you paid depending on their cancellation policy, which should be stated when you booked. They usually state whether they have a mild, medium or strict cancellation policy. So if you cancel within a certain number of days it will affect how much you get back. But Airbnb ALWAYS take the booking fee, and that can vary depending on how many days you have booked.

By Sue G. on 12/11/15
Helpful answer

Hello, First, the credit card co. needs to be notified and will refund the amount spent. In turn, the cc co. will backcharge. Airbnb is notorious for these types transactions and should be shutdown. Your son has learned a business lesson....research a business prior to do business!

By Scott B. on 11/7/15

They offered $25 discount of next booking I just chose to go else where

By James S. on 10/18/15
Helpful answer

This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.

By Lucille G. on 1/11/15
Helpful answer

Susan's answer is very thorough and I agree with her. Even more important when booking places outside your country of origin to ensure you don't get a flea pit. Also, always look at the reviews, they are very important. If there is a really bad review, don't stay there. You need to check the locations online as well. You don't want to be in a bad, dangerous area...this just happened to someone staying in Philadelphia. If you have a problem, the AirBnB website is useless. Google the AirBnB customer service number from your location. Renee

By Renee J. on 6/11/15
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

34 Photos for Airbnb