Review of Airbnb

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

steveh224
5/23/17

After my first AirBnB guest completed his stay, I started looking for my payment. AirBnB said I needed to set up a payment method (I had done this a week prior with Payoneer). I tried several times to add Payoneer on the AirBnB site, but each time was taken to the login site for Payoneer. Customer service wasn't helpful at all, they simply told me " you need to add a payment method." Now over a week since my guest left and I have not been paid.

AirBnB is obviously holding the money and investing it in interest paying securities while screwing hosts by not making timely payment. I wanted to love this company but not getting paid is a pretty big deal.

cutab
5/21/17

Never using Airbnb again. STAY AWAY FROM AIRBNB!

This guy approved my reservation around 12 pm on may 7, 2017. He asked me if I can come at 5 pm so he can wash bed sheets. He never mentioned if he needs me to send any type of ID. So I arrived there at 530 pm with my stuff. Then he started to ask for my passport upon arrival. I asked him why he needs my passport.Then I asked him if my drivers license or health care card would be fine he said no he wants to see my passport. I feel like he didnt want to see my ID instead he wanted to make reasonable excuses in order to cancel my trip on arrival. He also asked me if he can see my credit card and take a picture of it. So I gave him my University card with photo on it and my drivers licence with home address, name and date of birth. I even told him that I can show him my health care card but he refused again. I feel like he was predetermined to cancel my trip on arrival. I feel like this was type of discrimination when he saw me at the door he didnt want me in even though I showed him multiple IDs. I have used airbnb for many times I never had a host who has asked for my ID upon arrival. This feels like discrimination because he wants certain type of ethnicity to come into his house. As you can see reviews on airbnb he has canceled others trip too on arrival. He was also drunk and was holding beer in his one hand. I feel host should not be in situation where he or she is drunk and is not fully capable of taking right actions at the moment. It also puts the customer in very uncomfortable situation when he or she sees that the host is already drunk. Airbnb is hell to deal with. His listing was back up again after two weeks and all the bad reviews on his listing where all deleted after two weeks. I cannot believe this. Airbnb does not care about any human being, all they care is money in and money out. STAY AWAY FROM AIRBNB!

Here is the link of the host.

jm304
5/18/17

Poor customer service. After a last minute cancellation of the accommodation (literally the night before travel), Airbnb was unable to help us find alternate accommodation, resulting in the costly cancellation of our trip. Airbnb offered a small coupon in recompense, but the coupon was tailored to Airbnb's convenience rather than attending to the needs of the customer who was so poorly treated. I have requested that my profile be deleted and will be using HomeAway or Housetrip (great for Europe) or a search site like Tripping in future.

Tip for consumers: Try HouseTrip or HomeAway, or search using Tripping.

ac723
5/18/17

errible company. Our Family vacation for 14 people was cancelled 3 weeks before the trip to a very popular destination. Neither air bnb or the host cared and we barely even got an apology. There was one house left in our destination city for our dates, but it was too expensive and air bnb would not help us. We got a big FU and a $200 voucher. What a joke.

This is the peach of a host that cancelled our trip, offered to help us find another place, and then would not respond to us.

https: //www. airbnb. com/users/show/50066738

heatherm164
5/18/17

I listed two of my homes on airbnb less than one year ago. Since that time my account was hacked, I was not notified by airbnb that this happened but only found out when I could not log in to my account. I missed bookings due to this issue and as a result lost money. I spent hours of my time on the phone over the past two months trying to have this resolved and get input from their "trust and safety" team to no avail. I never received any email communications from airbnb and though I changed my login password several times I was repeatedly locked out of my account. Airbnb cannot explain what happened and they say there is no error showing on their end yet I am repeatedly locked out of my account. Today for the last time I called airbnb to try and reset my password, since I was not receiving their emails in past phone calls I have been given a temporary password to log in, Chris the representative "helping" me today was unwilling to do that so I asked for my account to be closed. He claims that he did in fact close it but there is no way for me to know for certain, I did get a ticket number but to verify the account is closed I would need to call them once again and present this ticket number wasting yet more of my time. This business is horrible, the lack of customer service is astounding not to mention the safety of any information on their website. My account was hacked and not one word came from airbnb to warn me that my pertinent contact information and payout method was changed. I will no longer do any business with this company and strongly caution anyone from using this site.

michaely47
5/17/17

Had a booking canceled on me and used the transferred refund to book ANOTHER place but had to cancel that due to the host being shady and having no pictures of himself or his property. Called customer service to expedite the refund because my trip is in 3 days, and was told that the rep was going to call my bank to confirm the refund. Called again later and was told that this was not their policy. Was blatantly lied to and misinformed. No one has their $#*! together at Airbnb HQ.

jasminel22
5/16/17

Good idea but experience wise it is inconsistent. Risky adventurers if u do not have an expectation of ur stay!

amob1
5/16/17

After several Airbnb bookings, they refused to rebook, claiming I was using a different debit card. I was not and the last 4 digits of the card had not changed. Then they put me into verification and demanded that I provide them with bank statements showing former payments, which would have involved the card they said I was no longer using. This made no sense to me, but I am not going to be allowed to use their service again, because I will not comply. They have no legitimate use for my banking information. I explained my concerns several times, but they ignored me.

nickp71
5/10/17

IF SOMETHING BREAKS THEY MAKE YOU PAY FOR IT EVEN IF IT WASNT YOUR FAULT
RENTED A APARTMENT IN LONDON FROM ALEXANDER , DO NOT RENT FROM HIM HES A CONMAN

crystalt30
5/9/17

I have stayed in 5 airbnb's now and all but one had problems. Either smoking, not clean enough, no toilet paper, one guy even had a party while we were there and were making noise until 4am. Now I realize part of it is that I like my privacy, quiet time and things to be really clean so I gave airbnb another chance and rented an entire apartment. Everything was fine in this apartment until we flushed the toilet for the first time and a horrible sewer smell started to fill the air. The host was completely aware of the problem too when I emailed him about it.

Unless airbnb is the only way you can afford your trip it should be avoided at all costs.

jessh31
5/8/17

As sometime guests of Airbnb, my husband and I decided to try hosting with them. We officially began our business relationship in August 2016 with their successful transfer of $.01 into our bank account. We had 2 guests stay in April for 2 nights. It was a very pleasant stay for our guests (they gave us a lovely review and 5 stars). Hosts are supposed to be paid 24 hours after guests check in, so I was surprised when I did not see funds transferred. I called Airbnb and they told me I never gave them a pay-out method. We re-sent our bank information and had another penny successfully transferred. The next day they informed me that I never set up a payout method. One rep informed me that they were running random security checks on new accounts, another rep asked me, "don't you know it takes15 days to receive payment?" That was the first I heard of that ! There are many complaints about delayed payments from Airbnb but since they are so scattered across so many forums, there appear to be less than there actually are. To add insult to injury, they never posted the 5 stars from my guest, which as a new host is vital to my business. Another call and another customer rep stated that she needed to speak with a "special team" before my stars could be displayed. Airbnb never apologized for the payment delay. As a household name, they are indifferent to the very people that make their business possible. It appears that 5 phone calls, multiple emails, a tweet and responsive action from the Better Business Bureau did the trick! I was paid,11 days after my guest checked in: as far as the stars, they remain celestial.

cristinal13
5/7/17

I am an owner and I have been renting my flat for over 1 year through their rubbish website. My house is great, it has been recently renewed but unfortunately Airbnb made it a disaster due to some crazy guests who just because they´re on holiday they believe they can break anything and do whatever. Well, every 2 or 3 months I have the bad luck of receiving some guests who break furniture and other objects in the flat. Although I charge 300 Euros deposit, I never see that money. The value of the broken objects in my flat since last year is over 1000 euros, but Airbnb never responds to our complaints. I sent them bills and every possible proof with the broken items and they never assume responsability. There is a certain agent in charge with these cases, called Darragh who is the most unpolite, bad educated agent I have met in my life. They don´t even want to get to a negociation: for example I pay half of the damage, the guest pays half. No! So, I tell you people: booking through Airbnb can be a nightmare, but beeing an owner is even worse. It is not worth it because this company is not honest and doesn´t respect the customer. I only had 5 stars reviews in my profile and they refused paying me the damage made by a guest who had never rented on their webpage. Not only they are tricky, they are also stupid because they prefer this kind of customer.

alp717
5/5/17

How many times can you afford spending 2-3 hundred dollars a night when you go on a vacation? That 2-3 Hundred dollars a night can be used for entertainment purposes, which helps the city businesses. Let me explain more. My wife & I now can afford to take vacations. If it wasn't for Airbnb. We would not have the money for a plane ticket to go anywhere. We would not have money to go out during the vacation to the local restaurants, or concerts or clubs, or shop at the mall because all our savings would be going towards the Hotel fees. So before we learned about airbnb, we decided not to take any more vacations. It's a waste of money and we did not have any fun. Now that we use airbnb, we take vacations so we can visit the world. We go out during our vacations and have fun. Spend money for good food, shop at the malls and just enjoy having a great time with the money we saved. Not only Airbnb has helped us take vacations. We are also host, which airbnb helps us to pay our bills each month. Living off two jobs that don't pay that much is really hard in a economy where the city charges so much on taxes. Who can afford to live these days? Who can afford to buy homes or a new car these days? Who can afford it? Now we are hosting, we can afford our home. We can pay our bills. We can live in a better life style without worrying if our bills will be paid next month. Thank you Airbnb for making our lives better. Thank you airbnb for making the city and the citizens lives better. Thank you airbnb for showing us that you do care. Thank you airbnb for allowing a better way to live. I am a proud host and traveler who says join Airbnb, you gotta love it & you will love it.

lilyp14
5/4/17

The house wasn't the one they showed in pictures, they steal our money... I ask for a refund and they hesitate... please don't use this web page anymore.

sailendras
5/4/17

Stay away from this lousy outlet you will regret it at the last moment when all your travel arrangements are made they will without giving any reason CANCEL on you and you will be left out to find something last moment and at a much greater cost.
AIRBNB cancelled my reservation that I made to go to my daughters graduation and had folks coming all the way from Australia only to find out at last minute that my reservation is cancelled and to top it all up airbnb customer service so lousy its simply unbelievable.Its simply a ONE sided business no customer relation.If I canceled I would have lost all my money and if they cancel its simply you get a lousy letter explaining how to REQUEST a refund that will take 5-10 days.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from this phony outlet.

catb8
5/4/17

The customer service at Airbnb is terrible. Useless employees that couldn't do anything when I had an issue and just told me "why don't you just make a new account then". Everything else is fine, just don't expect any help if you have a problem...

jeanj39
5/3/17

I was shocked to see "taxes and fees" were $164 dollars for a two night stay. The per night charge was $205 so I never expected such a high tax and fee charge.
Cleaning fee $50
Service fee $55
Occupancy tax $59
I thought others should be aware

julial46
5/2/17

One of my guest initiated the cancellation after staying with my place for 7 days out of her 11 day booking, because she is not happy about the laundry situation. Airbnb deducted half of the her payment from my account, even when i wrote and called them that i am not accepting that. And the most funny thing is, they asked me if it is ok for the guest to move out by 9pm (they were saying that the guest is asking), i agreed, then later the guest said she didn't agree that. And the guest didn't move out by 9PM, as a matter of fact, i followed up with email and phone call again to ask Airbnb to take care of it, then finally the guest moved out around 10PM. I called and emailed them one more time that i will not accept the way they split the payment, they deduct that money from another payment anyway.
Then they emailed me saying that they will pay me $39 for making up the late move out of the guest, and guess what, later they paid $10 to my account.

I was so surprised that as big as Airbnb could be, they can do something like this, email you one thing, and do another thing, just like everything they said is like a fart, counts nothing.

Every time i call, they said their case manager will call me back, but they never did. This happened 4 times within last 2 days.

I am wondering: 1) Is it legal that they deduct host's money without host's consent? 2) They are so bold that they can commit one thing to you, and do the totally different.

Is there anyone can help?

Thanks

judahr1
5/2/17

WARNING: AIRBNB DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS CUSTOMERS!!

I thought this app was good, until I used it! I am a constant traveler, and book through all kinds of websites. I thought it would be nice to have an app that booked locations and rentals. DO NOT USE THIS APP!

The company has terrible protocol, and the operators are truly incompetent. Just dealt with their site, which is down due to matinance, for two days, and just before writing this, got off the phone with customer service. After being dragged through verifying who I was, even though all I asked was is the site down due to maintenance, the operator, Domenic, told me what I told him, the site was under matinance! He then began to use any excuse he could find, as to why it was my fault and not the websites. He would find something, like my Facebook not attached, or a CC that was expired, and blame that. I informed him, if he looked further into it, he would see that was not the problem. He would then proceed to railroad over me, and try a new excuse, which I would shoot down. In the end, he offered to help me delete my account!!! Wonderful help. So, I asked for a supervisor. This is where it got comical. Kathryn got on the phone and told me the site was down for a little while, but it should be back up, and that she hadnt seen a complaint other then mine today. Funny how I found this on a website I went to, when researching the problem:

when I booked, I've got message "Unfortunately, a server error prevented your request from being completed. Airbnb may be undergoing maintenance or your connection may have timed out. Please try again." or "Were having trouble with the payment method youre trying to use. Please try another one."
It happened over 24 hours.

Same problem Im having. Go figure, I know more about whats going on with AirBnB, than their own supervisors. In the end I asked her, So, what your telling me is you cant help me, youre not offering any kind of compensation for my trouble, for the frustration of watching two properties I wanted get booked while I tried to complete the process of getting them, and having to call you, to get told the same thing I said first to the operator. That youre going to write tech, and I just have to wait, and keep trying, in the hope that the site works for me one day?. This is where it got golden. She informed me, that because I had gotten a $50 credit for starting a business account (a reward they give for doing so) that they could not give me anything for my troubles. Because of a credit that I earned, from a promo they offer!!!

Never using this company it again. The app, trashed! Good-bye, and good luck with pushing away your customers. Other companies are starting services lie this, and I am excited for them to push AirBnB out of the game. Ill applaud the day this company fails, as they dont care about customer service, and in my eyes, thats already a complete failure.

robertb441
5/1/17

I've already wasted an hour and half of my work morning to try to send an airbnb gift card to my daughter. During the process, I was prompted to upload a copy of the front/back of my driver's license, and, then, to take a contemporaneous photo. The prompt to do that came after I had entered information and a message related to the gift card, which was lost each of the three times I upload the documentation. I tried to get some assistance, and finally found a link to register a "bug" in their process. After I typed my experience and sent it, I received notice that the info would go into a general "suggestions" pile, and that I would not receive any follow up. I, finally, searched the internet and found a phone number(nowhere evident on the airbnb site) and called. I finally got through to a nice person, who, after 20 minutes was still unable to resolve my issue, and who informed that, although I had submitted personal documentation(a copy of my driver's license and contemporaneous photo) to the internet through THEIR website, three times, they could not tell me what happened to it. I was informed that I needed to download their app on my phone in order to send the gift card--which I am not willing to do, and which was not clear before I wasted an hour and a half of my time. VERY frustrating! I will not give them this business.

ms406
4/28/17

my rating is below zero.
One month ago I couldn't access my account so I contacted Airbnb to find out what's going on. Only after two week they made me able to re-enter my account where I see that someone had used it for a travel without my knowledge. Now A MONTH passed by and they are still not able to let me know what happen and if there was any debit from my card.
Very unacceptable way to "keep our community safe" as they like to flaunt.

siobhanm7
4/27/17

Just extended my stay by 9 days and air bnb recalculated the whole stay from January 2017(we are now end of April 2017) and are trying to recharge me for the months I've stayed at a new higher rate! Go to my face book page siobhan mannion and share my post. Let's put a stop to this lack of respect shown by Airbnb

marka226
4/26/17

Many issues, Don't know where to start I'm on hold right now waiting for supervisor as associate would not authenticate my account (30 minutes cell time). In the past 3 days our calendar on one of our properties has mysteriously changed so that blocked dates have become open and a 7 day minimum has changed to 3 without intervention from us. Now today i cant even log into the callenders. Issues like this disappoint our guests and make us look like we don't know what we are doing. We are considering pulling all our listings at the end of this summer. Seems like the owners of Airbnb are too busy travelling, buying yachts, jets,sports cars and luxury homes and avoiding issues that will kill this business. A fine opening for a competitor!

jessyy3
4/21/17

They are, indeed, a nightmare. They have screwed me over so many times I can't describe all of them on here. I have a feeling they are extremely arrogant and disrespectful, they think they can do anything and not be responsible.

lisal257
4/20/17

Hi There! Hard to believe that it takes three weeks to get anyone at Airbnb to look at a claim for an accommodation that lied through photos and description. The place was not able to be stayed at for lots of health reasons and health code violations. Why does Airbnb state that claims are settled in 72 hours when it's been three weeks?

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

101 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
helens77
Helen S.
on 10/29/15
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

30 Photos for Airbnb