US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

patriciam173
2/24/17

As a host I have been subjected to their underhanded and unprofessional behavior coming from their "Trust and Safety" team e.g. blocking my listings from being booked WITHOUT informing or advising me in advance etc, and keeping totally quiet about it - resulting guests also being unable to book without any reason provided.

Their customer service team can be rude and very inconsistent with the quality of service e.g. one person says their policy is this, but another agent advises something totally contradictory !

Avoid Airbnb at all cost .

louiep9
2/23/17

No willingness or ability to deal with a dishonest host. Rate doubled overnight while my cousin was scheduled to view the property. Stay away from AIRBNB , you have no protection at all.

lisap209
2/22/17

I am a host and have over 200 properties listed. When a guest has an issue Airbnb have been refunding guests without my approval leaving is out of pocket by thousands of dollars this has happened over and over. They are always seeking the guests side and not owners. Makes sense from theee end, they don't nessisary need any new listings but always need more bookings. Getting fed up of dealing with them.

robertc313
2/21/17

Yes, I booked a stay for $758 which you have to pay as soon as you book. Then 3 days later another fee ($26) turns up on my credit card????!!!!! What do they think!!! Just be prepared for extra charges. And there doesn't seem to be anyone to communicate with. This computer world can be $#*!!!!!!!

barryb54
2/18/17

I been a airbnb host for 5 years. I had mostly good experiences. Some bad. They really try and make you pick Instant booking as a host. I was apprehensive because I don't really want to be overloaded in my apartment. So in the rules I just ask for 1 single person or 1 couple per bedroom. I got 4 men that instant booked a 2 bedroom and over the phone I asked them if they planned to have girls over they said yes. So now that's going to be 8 people in my condo that has 2 beds. I don't want that I wouldn't want this for my worst enemy. I asked Airbnb to cancel. they charged me a $100 to cancel. Then a week later they deactivated my account without as much as a phone call. They canceled all future bookings. Kept this weeks worth of bookings but have not paid out on any of them. I go to the site its locked. I try to contact the guest the extranet email has been turned off. I try and call airbnb and get no where. They say write us. I did. Nothing. They told me I was breaking the policy against discrimination against same sex couples. Never in my life would I ever do this. I simply don't want 8 people in a 2 bedroom. This is insane. They canceled $29,000 worth of bookings. I would go to other sites but airbnb has a strangle hold in this department. Flipkey is nice but are no where the foot traffic of airbnb and sad to say lately neither is homeaway or vrbo. Very sad I have 700 + stays 400 + 5 star reviews. Not even a second chance to correct it.

faridk
2/16/17

City: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

First of all, it is quite apparent that Airbnb does not have as much protection for it's guests compared with it's hosts who are it's source of income! Therefore, it cannot be a fair organization. My host was allowed to cancel my reservation on me after I had spent a lot time and money to select that property back in January. This was a shocking revelation to me that hosts can do such a thing even after payments are taken from my credit card. In my case, it was not even an emergency. It was just that another guest had offered my host a longer reservation (6 months) which conflicted with my booking. The host canceled my booking and took the other guests. Does this seem to be morally acceptable to you?

Secondly, Airbnb customer support was not there for 3 days when it was needed most to help me out! The person assigned to my case (Alex G.) was out of the office for 3 days and no one in the office would take care of her cases. Apparently, this is not Airbnb policy to reassign customer cases! While I was looking for another property to switch to, my repeated emails to Alex remained unanswered. When I called customer support line, I was told that I have to wait for Alex to return, and yet they would not tell me when she would come back to the office. How frustrating is that?

Thirdly, Airbnb does not really care about customer support. Why, you may ask? Well, here are a couple of good reasons:
1) There is no phone number to be found anywhere in Airbnb web page to contact customer support. I had to find it thru Google! If there is one in Airbnb web site, you have managed to hide it real well!
2) There is no obvious link in Airbnb web page to leave any feedback. I had to ask your customer support to get this hidden link. Don't you want to know what your customers think of your services? Why isn't there a clear feedback link right in your main page for people to provide feedback and rate your customer support? Note: This is not for the property. The feedback is for Airbnb itself.

I wonder if this feedback is going to bit bucket or if a real person is going to even read it. I am going to remain optimistic for a couple of days to see if anything results from this feedback.

Farid

kaitlinr2
2/16/17

We had to find a place to stay last minute due to weather/travel changes and the Airbnb platform is very difficult to use in a hurry from your phone and HIDES significant charges and fees ... the concept is great (attempting to trust in humans) but the surprise charges are severely disappointing

caln1
2/15/17

I don't mean to be rude, but I haven't found a vacation web site, (including Air B&B) that actually helps people find a vacation rental. They make you answer the questions they want and not what I want to find out. I've been trying for months to book a 3 month vacation in Mexico and between pop up on the sites and flipping me to other cities and even other countries it's almost impossible. They want you to enter dates and all they do then is add the dates times the nightly rate. Like that helps. Someone should look at how www.BBCanada works and make a website like that. At least there you can find what you're looking for.

peymana1
2/11/17

I have reserved a week at Clearater Florida in 4 months in advance through Airbnb for a very hefty price. A week later I received a disturbing email from Airbnb followed by a partial refund indicating that my reservation is cancelled by request of the guest! It was just a shocking news that how in the world that could happen. I lost 50% of my reservation cost. Since, I have already reserved the flight and car rental I had no choice rather than reserve another place but, this time through VRBO. Make the story short, I lost more than $3k on this reservation and the host NEVER received a penny from that fee! You figure out, who made the profit!

victorias36
2/10/17

I rented an apartment on Airbnb's website. From the photos and reviews I was impressed.

When I turned up to the apartment the host was in a rush and said that he didn't have time to show me around but said to call if any problems. He gave me the key and left.

When I went to use the kitchen I couldn't find a kettle. I then tried to use the hot plate which was very cheap/flimsy, when I pressed the on/off switch it simply came up with an error message and wouldn't come on.

I had to eat out that evening and is a problem for me because of my illness.

I reported this to Airbnb. Then the host sent a money request after I had checked out asking for full payment of £50 as he accused me of breaking the hot plate. I told him that I had tried to call him but he simply ignored any communication other than stressing for the money. He submitted a photo of the hot plate which showed no damage. Airbnb said that was enough evidence so ordered me to pay the host the money. Airbnb never even answered my complaint about the condition of the apartment.

Think twice before booking through Airbnb because it seems that they'll side with the host no matter what and you could be faced with a huge bill for something you never done. Be very careful. Overall very poor customer service and the system seems to be automated.

I have since closed my account and wont be using them ever again! AVOID!!

Missy

judithc29
2/6/17

My family stayed at an Airbnb rental that had a KNOWN NATURAL GAS LEAK!! The six of us are fortunate to have survived. AND, Airbnb wouldn't even talk to me about the issue. If anyone asks us, we would highly recommend NOT patronizing this company. Your next of kin may regret your decision if you do. Action that resolves an issue to the CUSTOMER'S satisfaction is the only path for a company that cares about the safety of their customers.

jillp27
2/4/17

I booked a place in Salem, MA for my job. I google earthed the place and noticed that the parking looked scarce so I messaged the host regarding parking and safety. She said that no parking on their street but lots of parking on streets around the house and neighborhood is very safe. Can walk the neighborhood all hours of the night. LIES LIES!!!!. My shift for work was 11a to 11:30 pm but by the time I got to the apartment it would be after midnight. I would have to park 4 blocks away from the apartment. One night I had to park 1/2 mile away from the apartment. The nights I had off, I would be up in my apartment reading or watching Netflix on my laptop and I would hear gun shots echoing off in the distance. The nurses that I worked with educated me on the blue lights. I had no idea what they were talking about. Well, here in Salem if there is enough snow, you cannot park on the street because the streets are too narrow for the plows so you have to find someplace else to park. When the blue lights on the light poles flash, that's your warning that you cannot park on the streets or you will be towed. One morning, I had the day off and there was some sort of event going on and the police were going around putting up no parking signs. I had no place to move my car so I called airbnb, explained to them my issues. They pretty much sided with the host because the description does say off street parking. Shortly after I arrived, I noticed that the neighborhood looked real sketchy. I called the Salem police to ask about the neighborhood. They said that I could not have picked a more dangerous area of the city. That portion that I was in has the highest homicide rate, highest heroin use and highest breaking rate of the entire Salem, MA area. I told Airbnb that too. They did not say anything except they would reach out to the host. I was able to get out of my contract BUT WITH A CATCH. I agreed to pay $55/d for the full 35 days. Since I checked out early, I was charged the full $110/d to the tune of right at $2000.00 for 2 1/2 weeks of living in fear and terror for my life. I've used airbnb in the past and have had a good experience. I learned a very valuable lesson. From now on, I'll call the police in the area that I plan to stay, and ask them what the neighborhood is like and is it safe for a single female to be walking from her car to the apartment/house and is the neighborhood safe to walk around during the day if you wanted to go for a walk.

grumpym2
1/27/17

That's right. I had a tenant of mine run an AirBnB in Los Angeles from her apartment. Gave her warning to stop, but she insisted on continuing. NO HELP at all from the company to stop her ILLEGAL business in the apartment. We had to subpoena her AirBnB records for court. After a substantial battle, we finally got the Sheriff to perform a lock out (conclusion of an eviction). She ended up signing a stipulation owing lots of back rent, since we could not collect during the eviction process. She may have saved some rent money, but now has an eviction that stays on 10 years (court record) and a collection on her credit report. Good luck getting a loan or renting again with that.

AirBnB HAS NO RIGHT to profit from an asset THAT I OWN. Period. They are not my partner in business. As a matter of fact they are A HOL#ES.

richardb284
1/15/17

Made a three night reservation for a total cost of over $900 and my credit card was charged. Then the "host" advised that the home would cost $164 more. As a result, I cancelled the reservation but Airbnb intends to keep my $101 service fee even though the reservation was cancelled within a couple of hours after it was made. I will fight this to the end of my life and my strong advice is to stay away from these crooks.

josefk6
1/13/17

he company has a very low standard for their hosts. They pretty much allow all sorts of scammers to "rent out" their "house." We had a major issue with an apartment, and Airbnb's customer service desk is simply not available to help. To begin with, you can't find their number on the website. The company purposely hide ways to contact them on the airbnb website. Once you find their number, (google search), typical wait time is about 30 mins. If you want to rent from Airbnb... do it at your own risk. Our host scammed us out of 160 dollars and Airbnb, after admitting the scam, refused to help.

zarat3
1/11/17

Thieves! Never trust the listing and pictures. What you get is never what you see. I arrived with my family on boxing day at the place we booked for our dream vacation and we could not believe what we've paid for. We paid premier, 4 months before our vacation. The holiday we had high hopes, immidiatley turned into hell for us. After going through a painful negociation with host and airbnb they agreed to partial refund on difficult terms if we leave immediately. I spent the whole christmas day and through the night listening to my kids crying from cold and exhaustion in the cold dungeon we booked as a luxury apartment while I was on the phone with them. Now after 20 days, airbnb refused to refund me, even the host has not received any payment from them! Thay are just sitting on the money and not replying their emails and phone calls. The staff were dishonest and careless for what you are going through. They are on minimum wage and doesn't give a damn about your situation.

robertj192
1/11/17

I HAVE CONTACTED TODAY AIR-BNB AGAIN TO RESOLVE MY ISSUE, I RANG 02033181111 SHE WAS SO RUDE AS I TOLD HER TO MAKE THE PAYMENT FROM THE SYSTEM BECAUSE I HAD WAIT ENOUGH, SHE SAID I CAN BE HAPPY THAT SHE EVEN TRY TO HELP ME WITH CONTACTING THE COSTUMER.. I SAID WHAT? I CAN BE HAPPY?? STUPID $#*! THIS COMPANY DOES NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILTY FOR THE MISSED PAYMENTS AND CAN NOT CONTROL PAYMENTS IF COSTUMER DONT WANT TO PAY YOU, THAN YOU WONT GET PAID. RUBBISH COMPANY....

johnh648
1/9/17

I had a major issue with my bed and had to cancel the stay. Airbnb and the host Caroline denied me any reimbursement. What's worse is that they wouldn't let me review my stay either, knowing that I wouldn't rate it highly.

Tip for consumers: Its better to look into hotels. They have much better customer service and if you book it through a online platform, they can't block your review.

nanamin
1/8/17

Airbnb host steal my money, and kicked me out of the house. Airbnb customer service took a long time to get connected, and didn't do much eventually. Using airbnb ruined my entire trip. I suggests stay away from airbnb.

johns1592
1/7/17

Booked. They said the needed ID. Gave them Passport and drivers licence ID but that was not good enough. They wanted Facebook or Linkedin??? I don't have either of these so could not book . I have now deleted my account with Airbnb and will never deal with Airbnb again!

pamh54
1/3/17

Ouu Family stayed at Shelleys Beach House at 5Woonum Rd Alexandra Headlands on the Sunshine Coast QLD Australia. There was 10 of us in this wonderful place. We had 6 Adults 1 child (Family from the UK) plus 2 Adults (my husband & myself) 2 Adults (our sons from Brisbane) We also had a visit from our Daughter from Melbourne & her boyfriend. We were all happy with the amount of Bedrooms, the Kitchen was well appointed with all we needed for cooking. The Lounge Room had enough comfortable seating for everyone. Dining Area & Outdoor Area with Seating & Coffee Table. The Pool was wonderful (with glass security screen) we all spent a fair bit of our time in this area. Shelley also had a large glass vessel filled with Cold Lemon Water for us on our arrival. we loved our area downstairs with the wonderful bedroom & large glass screened shower in our bedroom. We all thoroughly enjoyed our holiday & didnt want to leave. We also had visits from friends there we havent seen for years & they were also happy with the facilities. WELL DONE SHELLEY. You were so welcoming & happy to see that we were all happy. We thoroughly recommend staying in this wonderful relaxing place.

wokkimc
1/3/17

Airbnb informed me by email dated 29th May 2016, a refund amounting Malaysia Ringgit 240 to be sent to my credit card, but till today I have yet to receive the refund.

* Refund for the booking ZJX5NR

I had emailed them pertaining to the above issue but they did not reply me

jenniferg152
1/2/17

They had some random person list my home, which I was clearly unaware of until my door bell rang and a family was ready to stay for the week. Through the investigation process they could not send me photos that were listed and were very scripted with their answers to law enforcement as well as myself.

murugans1
12/31/16

NEVER LIST YOUR SPACE IN AIRBNB. MONEY LAUNDRERS DOING NO JUSTICE FOR THE COMMISSION. THEY HAVE NO COMPETITIION IN THIS SEGMENT AND I HOPE TO FIND A NICE COMPETITIOR SHOWING THEM WHAT MODESTY IS?? THEY CHEATED ME.

kristinen5
12/30/16

I had used it several times and it went well. However, this last time was a nightmare. Place was unsafe and misrepresented. Even though they acknowledged it at the time, when I wanted a refund, the hosts declined and airbnb didn't really do anything. It was the worse experience of my life and I travel for a living.

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

93 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question