Review of AbeBooks

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

jans132
4/29/17

I have only recently discovered ABE Used Booksellers and found them to be a bit cheaper than Amazon's used books, so in the past month I have placed several orders for used books from several different booksellers who sell via ABE Books. Well, each book I've received is not as I'd expected. I've found that the books "conditions" were exaggerated in the original seller posting - upon receiving the used book, I was very disappointed. Each book I received, in my opinion, was barely "acceptable condition", as opposed to being described by the seller as "good" or "very good". The final straw happened today when I received my copy of Light Between Oceans from Owls Booksellers in Toledo, MD. This book was listed by Owls Books on ABE Books as being "hardback in very good condition". What I received today is a PAPERBACK in only ACCEPTABLE CONDITION. I won't be placing anymore orders via ABE Books. ABE Books is not a dependable seller and part of the problem is that, unlike Amazon, ABE Books does not offer buyers the opportunity to give PUBLIC seller feedback. This is a big problem. If public seller feedback was allowed, book quality would probably ramp up and there would be better HONESTY among seller listings!! I am recommending that people stick to AMAZON when purchasing used books online!

marys473
4/6/17

I ordered a cook book and thought I was getting the used book for a decent price. When it arrived I realized that the reason I saved s couple bucks was because my book was printed in black and white and terrible quality! It did mention within the paragraph description however knowing what book you want title, author etc, you're not looking for book description and I feel it should highlight this fact!!

jackib4
3/31/17

i love Abebooks, but it took awhile to get the "hang" of the site, simply because you cannot generically "shop" all the sellers. My criteria is no ship chg/hardbound only/and no library books. That being said, i initially purchased from all over and got wrong titles, books in poor condition, and SLOW shipping! i now order from two sellers exclusively, simply because the service is amazing and the shipping fast. You must pay attention to who you are buying from-what is the "rating", what is the book condition, what edition is it, publisher etc. Do your homework! i order between 15-20 at a time, and since i started using these two sellers i have had NO problems. Steer clear of overseas sellers and try to stay with sellers in or near your own state. Once i started paying attention i was so much happier! (i owned a used bookstore, and i was special orders clerk at Borders-17 years, so i have some idea of used books!)

kd74
3/31/17

I bought 5 different books from four different sellers on Abebooks. One book, from "Atlanta Book Company" was exactly as described, and arrived FAST. One book from another seller was in worse condition than described (very good, ha! more like acceptable) but it's so hard to find one I didn't complain. Two books from "Owlsbooks" were in terrible condition (also described as "very good"), and I was refunded. And "Discover Books" (but shipped under "Pro Quo Books"), shipped a completely different book than what I ordered, and I was refunded as well. Sure, I got my money back, but it was a complete waste of time. If 4/5 books aren't going to be as described, what's the point shopping here? If the there was any kind of feedback system so people could see if they can trust a seller to describe a book properly, it would be a huge time saver. Sellers do this because many people will just take the $4 loss and never complain.

raymondc70
3/30/17

No idea what all of the reviewers who rated Abebooks so poorly are smoking. I buy regularly from Abebooks and I'm always pleased. Mind you, I don't buy the everyday stuff - I spend thousands of dollars on rare and collectible books. Not ONE of the scores of books I've bought has been a disappointment, either in price, shipping or quality. Perhaps the difference is that I buy from predominantly rare book dealers, not folks selling common paperbacks and stuff. I don't hesitate to purchase through these guys.

jenaw1
3/28/17

If you go on there web page and type in a ISBN number the right book will come up but when you go to order if a different edition will pop up in your order instead. You won't know it's the wrong book tel you get it and need it. Then they will want you to pay to ship it back and won't even get the money back you spent to send it back. This place sucks.

hanir
3/28/17

i'm paying expedited for my book to come in 5 to 8 days it's my 15day and they are not even answering me!!!!! Scam

keithp43
3/22/17

If I could give no stars I would. I received a completely different book to that I ordered despite several confirmatory emails. This does seem to be a common occurrence with this web site from the comments I have seen since. Their customer service is worse than useless as I still haven't received a refund. They wanted me to abuse the postal service to return the book and when I refused they insisted that I had to return it at my expense. I didn't even order the damn book!! I will never go near them again and advise anyone else to avoid them.

tonyz9
Tony Z.
3/18/17

Wow, what a bad purchase!! The book came from "India". It SMELLS horribly - I don't know if it's the ink, or the paper, or something else, but the smell is noxious..... AND it is woefully undersized! The original was 9 x 12 but this "book" must be 6 x 9 The print is so small, I'll ruin my eyes if I try to use it. VERY disappointed and I will never buy from them again.

rutik
3/14/17

I received a request to pay more for delivery, which I did. Still,the book never arrived and they refuse to refund because it's been more than 30 days after the expected delivery date. STAY AWAY!

alyssak13
3/10/17

If I could give them zero stars then I would. I was buying an online Spanish book and the one I thought I was buying was identical to the one my teacher offered in class. When I finally received my account code in the email about 3 weeks later, it turned out that the code didn't work. I sent it back and requested a refund and they told me that they wouldn't refund my money because I scratched off the silver bar in order to see what my account number was. However, I tried to explain to them that I can't see if the account works until I scratch off the bar to see my code, but they refuse to send me another one that works or refund me. So now I'm out $50 and have to buy another book anyways. Their customer service is horrible and it's hard to actually talk to someone about what your problems are with your order.

roseh53
3/7/17

I paid for expedited shipping and the book was a week late. When I asked for the extra money I had spent on fast shipping back, they said that their delivery estimates do not include "Processing time." They were "processing" my book and that's why it was a week late. Ridiculous! You can't make a bargin and then not hold up your end of the deal.

rippedo22
3/6/17

Purchased a new book from this site, 8 weeks later still had not arrived and they offer to replace with a second hand book. It is obvious what they are doing.
They never had the book in the first place
They charge you a huge price for book and shipping
They have the use of your money for a few months or more

victorv2
2/24/17

I recently purchased a rare book through abebooks.com. The book was shipped from the UK and arrived looking pretty good, but upon further inspection was missing many plates. Abebooks made sure I was reimbursed for the $ 85.00 return shipping, original Charles including shipping, and paid for priority shipping on a replacement order. They also gave me a 15% discount on that order. They were courteous, prompt and very helpful in solving the problem. I highly recommend them.

juliam83
2/23/17

Hi! I bought a book for my paralegal class from this company a month ago. I paid for a shipping. I was at home the whole day when I should receive my package. Nobody called in my door bell. Next day I checked status of delivery it said that package was left on front door but it was`t there. Delivery guy couldn't left package outside because it was raining and I live in 4 apartments house. Nobody couldn't took it. I was at my post office. They said that nothing can help me. I could't make a claim that return my money from post office because my package did't have insurance. I paid for my book $115. I did't sign and allow that delivery guy could left package near front door. I was tried to discuss this situation with Abebook via email but they said it is not their problem. They are working online and want to save customers. Yhey should do something that everyone will be happy! Why are Amazon or Ebay popular? Because in this case they always send money back or a new one order.

marisad6
2/12/17

I will never again order a book from this website. I ordered the book I needed for the class, it showed the picture of the book that was required for my class and when i got it in the mail it was the STUDENT MANUAL for the book. I was so mad that i had spent $100 on a book that ended up being the wrong one, so i e-mailed them asking if i could return it, they e-mailed me back that i could and i needed to do a return request, so i did. Then the next day i got an e-mail saying to disregard the other e-mail, that i couldn't return it because it was my fault. I ended up throwing a big enough fit that they told me i could return the book and get a refund. I returned the book through USPS like they requested, and I've had to hound them for my refund. They asked me when would be a convenient time for them to call about my refund and i told them 2 PM the next day, not only did they not call at 2 PM the next day, they called at 9 PM and i couldn't understand the guy over the phone and he was extremely rude. I've returned the book over a month ago and i still haven't received my refund and i am still hounding them everyday for it. AWFUL place to order from and terrible customer service.

judithn13
2/9/17

I ordered a book 3 weeks ago and my book was supposed to arrive a week ago! I have missed already two assignments because it's late and now I can't even find the tracking information!

mh163
2/1/17

Needed a rare 3rd edition of a book, and I found it on Abebooks. I emailed to confirm it is a 3rd edition (4th editions are worth $0). It was confirmed. After I ordered, I was told my credit card was declined (was just a lie), and to pay via paypal, which I did. Now I have 2 charges for my 3rd edition book. A week later, a box arrives from Amazon, inside a book, 4th edition! The receipt had a much lower price than what I paid, since the 4rd edition is worthless. I was told to return it for a full refund. Then I found out about the double charge. I was promised to have that refunded as well. Nothing happened for 2 weeks. Then another box arrived, another worthless piece of junk 4th edition (I was told for my double payment) Same again, returned it, no refund. Was told they never received the books, although I had tracking numbers. I had to start a dispute case with my credit card bank, and with payal in order to have the scammers admit they have received my returned merchandise, and that they were lying about not having received the books. What a waste of my life - all the time I spent communicating, trips to the post office, emailing, disputing... I will file a complain with the BBB. This company is evidently trying to scam people out of their money. I am sure most people just let it go after paying top price for a piece of worthless junk, because it takes too much effort to have their money back. This company needs to be reported to the BBB. I urge anyone else to do the same. If you were tricked into buying a valuable product, and have been mailed something worthless, file a complain with the BBB. Maybe together we can stop this nonsense. If you want to loose your money, please donate it to any charity, instead of buying fraudulent products from this company. Thank you for considering!

tammier6
1/26/17

I am having trouble understanding how this company can put on their website,"US Superfast Books". I ordered school books for my son. For a long time we never even received a tracking email and when we finally did, the books were being tracked from India and Germany and were awaiting being passed through customs! We are still waiting for the books and my son's classes started two weeks ago. I never leave bad reviews but this one warranted taking the time to let potential buyers know.

jenas3
1/26/17

If you type in an ISBN trying to find your book you will find it but once you add that book to your cart another edition of that book will be in there instead. This place sucks

brooklyns4
1/25/17

I ordered my book a month before my class was set to begin. My class is now ongoing for two weeks and I still have not seen my book. I tried contacting the company and they took forever to reply. They claim to have resent another book but that has not been over a week ago and there is still no sign of a book. Don't waste your time on this company!!

jannaq
1/24/17

I purchased a 120$ order for my books. After 6 4 months still didn't get my books. Emailed and called them for 5 times, they told me to wait then now they say that I should have told them 30 days after purchase and won't receive my money back. Lost 120$ for nothing.

gregk37
1/23/17

Sent me the wrong book and I henny I emailed to tell them they somehow said it was my fault and only gave me half my money back!

sherryb54
1/21/17

I purchased a signed copy of a book and was very excited to find it.
But then, WITH NO EXPLANATION, they returned my money on PayPal and just cancelled my order.
They ignored my requests for an explanation.
Really really bad service. Don't use these people.

johnb778
1/19/17

Ordered an oversized book from Abebooks I normally use Amazon but they had the best price. The put the book in a book with only bubble wrap on one side to fill up the box so of course the other two corners were severely damaged on transit. Then it costs me almost as much as the book to send back for a refund. So I technically paid the Post Office money for nothing and Abebooks will just sell the damaged book and still come out with a profit. I will never order another book from them again.

23 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
virginiac31
Virginia C.
on 2/24/17
Answer
keithp43
Keith P.
A: Good luck is all I can say I'm afraid. They told me to write not known at this address in the parcel and put it in a postbox and promised a refund once they had received it. Surprise, surprise - they never acknowledged receipt and I never got a refund. Congratulations that you were previously satisfied. One if the few I fear!!
on 3/27/17