US Government’s NSF

Victoria, BC V9A 6X5, Canada
Tel: +1.2504123200

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Probably the worst online transaction ever. Sent defective merchandise and received conflicting instructions for the return. I finally disputed the charges with my credit card company who reimbursed me. Too much drama with these guys

If you get the book you ordered and it comes on time, then good for you; you are truly lucky! However, in the event you have ANY sort of problem with your order then good luck getting anything handled or fixed at all. I have been in the process of trying to return a book for a month and a half now, and it wasn't that I ordered the wrong book, what I received was not at all as described on the website. The individual seller that I have been trying to work with (Bookish) has absolutely WORTHLESS customer service, and AbeBooks has been no help in the issue either. Do yourself a favor and order your books from another website, the few dollars you may save by going through AbeBooks is not at all worth the stress and frustration of trying to deal with returns and customer service of this company.

I ordered my book for my microeconomics on September 11th. The estimated delivery date was the 25th, which at first I thought was pretty late delivery date, but I was willing to stick with it. It is now Oct 12th and I have already gotten the scores back from my first exam, and the book still has not arrived. I emailed them but they said they cannot do anything unless it is 25 days past the estimated delivery date, and that they don't have a tracking number for me! Stay Away!!!!

Sometimes I received books on time, sometimes not and sometimes not at all! The times it worked was good but in the latest episode they took money from my debit card, claimed it was shipped from a supplier on August 23 to arrive about September 12. I contacted them a week ago and they didn't even acknowledge my request for more information. I searched for the Customer Service # and found it in the #2 font fine print. The guy I spoke to wasn't apologetic and neither was his e-mail. They told me too bad about your loss but NO REFUND, that's our policy because we aren't going to hold the carrier accountable on your behalf. LOUSY ! I will not buy from them again.

If by chance you decided to look up the validity of these company before you buy GREAT FOR YOU. DO NOT buy from this company. I ordered an accounting book for over $200 as it was sold out at my school bookstore. I only had an option of renting from the school and the rental alone was $200 for a used book. I decided to give this pathetic source a try, and they shipped me an edition 3 back from the one I ordered. By this time I had waited and missed an assignment for a 7 week class and still had to purchase the original book. I returned my book to them and to this day still am out of $200+ dollars and cant get anyone on the phone. They are horrible with customer service and take 0 accountability for my misfortune. PLEASE do not order from them.

I ordered a book with my VISA.
after almost 2 weeks, they sent me an email showing that they got an error with the payment!
when I contacted them they said that they refund the cost because the seller has already sold the book! and it's no longer available.

I lost 2 weeks waiting the book!

A textbook that was $200 + in my school bookstore, I found for $23.50 plus shipping(which I spent the $5 extra dollars to have it rushed). The textbook came with within a week, and I was updated via email the whole process! Will definitely re-visit this website.

Purchased a book for school and waited for it while tracking the delivery. The book was ahead of schedule but later than the original tracking date since it kept getting stuck at each stop. The day of delivery it stated that it was delivered however just not to my address. I have checked with neighbors and the post office. The post office said only the shipper could inquire. However abebooks said since it says it was delivered then there is nothing further they would do. Don't buy from them!!!!

I was afraid to use this web site after reading all the bad reviews, but couldn't pass up the deal. I paid less than half the price on Amazon! The service was excellent. I received email confirmation, shipping tracking info, and my book arrived in less than a week!

Delivery was late, more than 200 pages missing and not returning my queries.

Order details below:

Sales Order No. 103710283 has been received and forwarded to the bookseller listed below. We will provide updates as the bookseller processes the order.

View Order Details

Estimated Delivery Date: August 20, 2016
Approximate Shipping Speed: 4 - 8 business days

Title: Corporate Governance: Principles, Policies, And Practices 3Rd Edition
Quantity: 1
Book Description: This is an International Edition Brand New Paperback Same Title Author and Edition as listed. ISBN and Cover design differs. Similar Contents as U.S Edition. Standard Delivery within 6-14 business days ACROSS THE GLOBE. We can ship to PO Box address in US. International Edition Textbooks may bear a label Not for sale in the U.S. or Canada or For sale in Asia only or similar restrictions- printed only to discourage students from obtaining an af...
ISBN: 9780198702757
Binding: Soft cover
Book Condition: New
Book Price: US$ 15.63
Shipping Price: US$ 11.99

Highly incorrect. False declaration. Order number:104477243
Bought a book via AbeBooks website. Waited for the reply for more than a week. Then, when asked to AbeBooks, they siad that the book store: L Books (Montrouge, France), cancelled the order:
-without advising me
-leaving me for a week to wait for nothing
-And most of all they wrote on the reason of the remboursment that I renounce to the order , which is false and I can prove it.
Avoid totally

I needed to buy a textbook. I used Ables for the first time. On their website they do not say they only sell used books. I purchase a specific book they gave me an estimated date of 5 days from my purchase. It didn't arrive until 14 days after my purchase. Then I opened it up it's the wrong book. Not only is it the wrong book but Pages torn from it the book isn't even sellable. Trying to get this resolved is impossible . the only way to contact them is through email. They keep emailing me telling me they have a 30 day guarantee of return books and I keep emailing them back that I am not paying for shipping when you ship the wrong book. Don't ever ever ever buy from these people!!!!

The most aggravating part is that I started emailing them a week ago. Only received canned non-helpful replies. Finally got the DHL tracking number, and when I called DHL, I was told they received an email saying they would get something to ship 3 WEEKS ago -- but never received an item. No customer service, no information, no book for me. Never again.

I ordered a book for class through Abe Books. The order actually came from Indoo (whoever they are in NJ). When my book arrived it was just a card with a code on it (I knew this when I ordered it) and I scratched off the stuff to get signed up into my class online. It told me the code was for another book. I turned the card over and sure enough IT WAS! Didn't even send me the right one! So I message them like it says to do. Indoo never replied to me for 3 days... HELLOOOO class is starting! So I went through the process through Abe Books to get a refund initiated. They got the order return process going and it said to ship the book back to their address and to enter the tracking number when I did. That means I'm paying for return shipping on a book Indoo messed up the order on right? So I package it up and get the postage to include a tracking number on it because that's what I was instructed to do! When I then emailed Indoo again and told them how much the shipping was, they said, "We only refund for the amount of Media Mail through the USPS!" Like WHAT?! Then why did Abe Books require me to pay for tracking too? So I message Abe Books and go back and forth with them about this only to find out, they aren't paying me for it and I'm out the cost to mail back the order that I didn't mess up on, and I paid them in good faith for, but they screwed up and sent the wrong order on! If they'd have just done it right the first time, I wouldn't have had to return the dang thing! Indoo is some crap company that I'm not worried about, but Abe Books I expected better from! I have been a customer of theirs for a long time and this was my first problem I had with them, and they keep emailing me these smug emails saying they aren't required to pay me back for my shipping costs! Thanks Abe! You just lost me as a customer and anyone else I can convince not to purchase from them!

This company appears to have a number of shell book stores it used for its used books. its also hard to find a review site! they have no google page which truly says volumes as well! We ordered one book through Booked Again books which just links back to Abe. The book was ordered and needed asap. Three days later, I get an email that the seller of the book now wands an additional $20.00 on top of the expedited shipping i paid when i ordered it or they were canceling the order! This is for a poor condition $21.20 book to start with. My daughter needs the book, but i'll be ordering it from someone else for sure. More money is what i'll happily pay rather than be extorted after the fact. This is absolutely one of the worst things i have every seen someone do in business.

I ordered a book and the order was accepted. A few days later they requested an additional $30.00 or my order would be canceled. I declined and my order was canceled. I have never had that happen before and was quite surprised. If I could I would give them a less than 1 star rating.

Evidently this publisher is a LLC partner with I ordered a book online through Amazon. It arrived with zero publishing info --I found out it was published by Abe Books only by googling the ISBN number--. There is no forward --strange for a classic written in the 1800's. There is no information about the author or the translation/translator (from Italian to English). Further, the print is extremely small as to render the book unreadable.
There is, however, the 13 digit ISBN number printed on the back cover, 9781484891988. --the very last page states "Made in the USA San Bernadino, CA 10 July 2016" --the same date as my Amazon order.
I am disappointed with doing business with a partner such as this.
I have since ordered this very same book from reliable Penquin Classics.

Lately off shore "international" or "print on demand" book copiers have been dumping books into the market place. These books have color copies of original covers ( in the ads) and under inspection I find the following: Weak non-stitched spines, poor paper quality (laser paper) Black and White reproductions (poor quality scans or photocopy) pictures that are difficult to see details, This make it impossible to read because your seeing three pages of text or pictures - or worse, no ability to put on a projector for educational purposes or loss of eye sight assistance. Trimming errors up to a 1/8 inch or more and duplication's or missing sections. ABE Books technical support said because of their volume they could not tell me if the book I was buying was the genuine or these sham books. If you don't have a policy - get one! I will not waste my time returning books after I have done your quality control.

I ordered a specific numbered book (new) for a class I was taking. It was $30-$60 cheaper than all other places I researched. Of course I was abit apprehensive after checking out the reviews, like on here. But I figured what did I have to lose.. I gave it a whirl. So glad I did! Of course this is only my experience, but as we all know, many times reviewers are often the disgruntled. . And the happy never say a just abit of noise from a happy one. :)

Couldn't be happier with Abe Books! They've become my go-to online bookstore thanks to their awesome client service and super fast delivery.

I especially buy rare editions on their site and titles that I simply cannot find elsewhere. I've never had any problem with their authenticity: everything is real and in great condition.

Look no further if you're looking for a terrific online book store. These guys are fantastic!

Never received my $100 book. They changed the arrived by date after I contacted them the first time and told me I'd have to wait until that date to request a refund. Then when that date arrived they said I'd have to wait an ADDITIONAL 8 days, in case it was late. Well, 5-14 business days for shipping is ludicrous even for media mail. I ordered June 2, and won't even be eligible for a refund until July 7, if that extra 8 day wait is also 8 business days. Very disappointed. The shipper was INDOO. Do not use that shipper, and dont use ABE.

I ordered my book on June 1st. The book was supposed to be here 5-14 business days. It's June 19 and my online course starts tomorrow and I have yet to receive the book. Never ordering from AbeBooks again!!!!

I was shipped a wrong book from an address in the US, then on asking for a refund, was asked to ship book to Thailand, with tracking, and that return shipping isn't refundable. Shipping to Thailand costs a lot!! Is it a method to prevent any returns? I wonder...
My order number was 102539*** for an Economics book.

After reading about other people's bad experiences I was a little apprehensive about buying from Abe Books. I decided to take a chance anyway because the book I wanted to buy was so hard to find and it would have been much more expensive had I been able to find it elsewhere. My book arrived sooner than expected and it was just as described and very well packed. I'm only sorry I couldn't leave positive feedback for the seller.

Lynne Hearn

Just don't use them. Their supplier gave me a delivery date of 2-4 working days. it's now over a week and nothing....expect cut and paste apologies and eventually a refund. If I had wanted the money, I would haven't ordered the book in the first place.
Complete waste of time

19 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
3 weeks, 6 days ago
Add your answer
on 9/5/16
A: No do not trust this site. They send the wrong books pages missing and it takes 3 to 5 weeks to finally get you
on 9/12/16