US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jenb15

After working with customer service via email, they refunded my money. (in 14 reviews)

dm19

That's obvious because the seller and the city and state they're located in is plainly stated. (in 48 reviews)

maribelz1

Love the customer service here and all information they gave me about the book, including delivery date was correct ! (in 4 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

salm93
7/17/16

Evidently this publisher is a LLC partner with Amazon.com. I ordered a book online through Amazon. It arrived with zero publishing info --I found out it was published by Abe Books only by googling the ISBN number--. There is no forward --strange for a classic written in the 1800's. There is no information about the author or the translation/translator (from Italian to English). Further, the print is extremely small as to render the book unreadable.
There is, however, the 13 digit ISBN number printed on the back cover, 9781484891988. --the very last page states "Made in the USA San Bernadino, CA 10 July 2016" --the same date as my Amazon order.
I am disappointed with Amazon.com doing business with a partner such as this.
I have since ordered this very same book from reliable Penquin Classics.

mikem399
7/15/16

Lately off shore "international" or "print on demand" book copiers have been dumping books into the market place. These books have color copies of original covers ( in the ads) and under inspection I find the following: Weak non-stitched spines, poor paper quality (laser paper) Black and White reproductions (poor quality scans or photocopy) pictures that are difficult to see details, This make it impossible to read because your seeing three pages of text or pictures - or worse, no ability to put on a projector for educational purposes or loss of eye sight assistance. Trimming errors up to a 1/8 inch or more and duplication's or missing sections. ABE Books technical support said because of their volume they could not tell me if the book I was buying was the genuine or these sham books. If you don't have a policy - get one! I will not waste my time returning books after I have done your quality control.

jenniferm241
7/11/16

I ordered a specific numbered book (new) for a class I was taking. It was $30-$60 cheaper than all other places I researched. Of course I was abit apprehensive after checking out the reviews, like on here. But I figured what did I have to lose.. I gave it a whirl. So glad I did! Of course this is only my experience, but as we all know, many times reviewers are often the disgruntled. . And the happy never say a word..so just abit of noise from a happy one. :)

evam50
6/28/16

Couldn't be happier with Abe Books! They've become my go-to online bookstore thanks to their awesome client service and super fast delivery.

I especially buy rare editions on their site and titles that I simply cannot find elsewhere. I've never had any problem with their authenticity: everything is real and in great condition.

Look no further if you're looking for a terrific online book store. These guys are fantastic!

marys369
6/25/16

Never received my $100 book. They changed the arrived by date after I contacted them the first time and told me I'd have to wait until that date to request a refund. Then when that date arrived they said I'd have to wait an ADDITIONAL 8 days, in case it was late. Well, 5-14 business days for shipping is ludicrous even for media mail. I ordered June 2, and won't even be eligible for a refund until July 7, if that extra 8 day wait is also 8 business days. Very disappointed. The shipper was INDOO. Do not use that shipper, and dont use ABE.

kookiek
6/19/16

I ordered my book on June 1st. The book was supposed to be here 5-14 business days. It's June 19 and my online course starts tomorrow and I have yet to receive the book. Never ordering from AbeBooks again!!!!

ritub4
6/19/16

I was shipped a wrong book from an address in the US, then on asking for a refund, was asked to ship book to Thailand, with tracking, and that return shipping isn't refundable. Shipping to Thailand costs a lot!! Is it a method to prevent any returns? I wonder...
My order number was 102539*** for an Economics book.

lynneh11
6/13/16

After reading about other people's bad experiences I was a little apprehensive about buying from Abe Books. I decided to take a chance anyway because the book I wanted to buy was so hard to find and it would have been much more expensive had I been able to find it elsewhere. My book arrived sooner than expected and it was just as described and very well packed. I'm only sorry I couldn't leave positive feedback for the seller.

Lynne Hearn

saran43
5/24/16

Just don't use them. Their supplier gave me a delivery date of 2-4 working days. it's now over a week and nothing....expect cut and paste apologies and eventually a refund. If I had wanted the money, I would haven't ordered the book in the first place.
Complete waste of time

maribelz1
5/22/16

pacorink
5/17/16

Ordered two books on April 13 and today May 17 there is no sign of my books. Estimated arrival date was May 11 but it did not arrive and nobody contact me for the delay. I ordered these books for my course which started in the beginning of the May. Here I am third week of my course without required books because I thought they will deliver them within 15 to 21 business days as they are promoting. If you are not living in US or Canada don't bother to order any book from them.

robertd205
5/10/16

customer service is great on text, but no delivery, would be scared or lets put it this way i would never order from this company again, seems like a scam
robert dirnfeld
roby855@yahoo.com

jessicaj30
5/7/16

What used to be a decent company to go through has become so sketchy I've stopped spending money through their site. I find the sellers on any other marketplace that will protect my purchase. In the last several months, I've placed several orders. The ones I've had issues with started to bring to light some unsavory new policies. In one instance, I received a book with water damage. Pictures were sent to the seller with a request for a return shipping label. The seller did not respond. I emailed Abebooks and they said they would contact the seller and, in the meantime, they initiated a return for me. What you have to read the fine print for is that they will not guarantee you reimbursement of the return shipping costs. Bottom line is I will be out money for a book that was not in the advertised condition. Hm. That's not quite right. They used to reimburse return shipping. Not anymore. In another instance, I was shipped three copies of an illegally produced book direct from India. I pointed this out to Abebooks, but they responded that they have to have pictures of the books. The books LOOK identical to the original with the exception that 40 or so pages were UPSIDE DOWN. I emailed them back and they said they couldn't see how this made the book a fraudulent copy and refused a return. Hm. Yeah. Now I won't work with them anymore, which will cost them about $150,000 in sales a year. Whoops.

garyh122
5/4/16

I ordered a book recently, it was received promptly and exactly as described. Wonderful highly recommend.

ellene8
4/26/16

I ordered a book on April 18th, paid the extra for 3-5 day arrival. Waited a week, no updates on the tracking. I finally contacted Ebooksweb for help, since the confirmation email went through them. They contacted Abe Books, who replied stating to wait 2 more days, that the book shipped. Today was the 2 more days, I am leaving in the morning to fly to NY for my first grandchild's baby shower, and surprise, surprise, no book. Tracking shows that they FINALLY shipped it on 4/25. This book was to be a special surprise for my daughter and the baby, since it was my sons favorite when he was little, he knew it by heart by the time he was 4. The baby is to be named after him since we lost him in an accident 6 years ago. Way to ruin the baby shower and surprise Abe Books. Trust me, I will tell everyone I know to stay away.

Tip for consumers: FIND ANOTHER SITE!!! DO NOT ORDER - I have the emails where they blatantly lied about shipping the book. DO NOT pay extra for shipping, they will not honor it.

nw36
4/26/16

I never received item, I asked for refund numerous times and was denied. Great site to rip people off on if your a seller. Very dishonest company, no tracking provided, no refund. Price may be cheaper here but do not risk it.

ruthr35
4/18/16

I have bought dozens of books from AbeBooks. Some sellers are wonderful, most are just fine, but a few are fraudulent. Unfortunately, there is no way to leave a review to help others sort the good from the bad. They do have star ratings showing percentage of sales without returns. However, this leaves one in a position of paying to return a poor quality book to be resold to some other unsuspecting book buyer in order to make sure the seller's star rating is impacted, or tossing the book thus leaving the next buyer having no idea that the seller is misrepresenting their merchandise.

fadzlans
4/12/16

I've been using Abebooks for years now. Keep getting good deals now and then. So far there's no serious issue on my purchases.

dimitriosm3
4/9/16

I was really suspicious before actually ordering from AbeBooks. The prices seemed too good to be true, and the site had so many bad reviews.
Yet I decided to go for it, and my order was delivered to me in about a week.The book was in excellent condition.

melodyb5
4/4/16

I have used Abe Books countless times. Their prices are very fair, the stated condition of books is accurate, and many of the sellers have free shipping (I HATE paying for shipping). I have eight to ten sellers I order from on a consistent (probably too often if you ask my husband :)) basis. Abe is a cheaper alternative to Amazon (which I love as well) if you are in the market for used books.

Tip for consumers: Be sure to go through EBates as well for cash back opportunities.

jeanp40
3/31/16

I have been going back and forth with them for over a week. I ordered a book, everything looked like it went through, then 15 mins later the transaction was cancelled, so I tried again with another seller, 15 minutes later it was cancelled again, so I figured third time the charm again, they cancelled them. I checked the bank card, no problem, the amount never went through.. but the card was good I use all the time without a hiccup. So emailed my disgust to customer services, and they apologized said the seller did it, but the email said they did. So they gave be a $15 discount code, so I tried today. Couldn't put the code in anywhere. So I emailed them saying what the heck is going on, so I get this email that says they put in and I should my discount (which now has become 2.20 (what?). So I logged on and there is nothing, no discount no nothing, just what I owe as before. So I give up. This is totally rip off and waste of time. I few years ago, bought a book, because the price was good, but it was torn and sent in cheap packaging. Ive' learn my lesson, I WILL NOT BUY FROM THEM, alibris is much better... Shop at your own risk.

dans87
3/21/16

Before we even ordered a book from "ABE" we wrote asking where our particular book would be shipped from and were told New York. The crappy book was mailed from a person in South Carolina in a plain manila envelope without dust jacket and when we complained and asked for a refund for this "100% guaranteed" purchase we were directed TO MAIL IT TO CANADA before any refund LESS POSTAGE. You can NOT speak to a person AT ABE - be warned - YOU WILL BE SCAMMED!

cindyl59
3/10/16

I have ordered several times from Abe Book and most of the time the books are shipped for free which is a $3.99 saving over Amazon and the books are cheaper. Shipping usually takes up to a week but I expect this and don't get my panties in a wad. I have gotten first editions and signed copies at a very reasonable price and they rate the bookseller so I will keep ordering through them.

jiachangs
3/10/16

I ordered a book on abebooks.com, I have received the book today, but it is a wrong book, and these are the pictures. http://postimg.org/gallery/2bejn5ju4/e62990c3/
The book I ordered should be this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935639668?keywords=9781935639664&qid=1457508290&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The bookseller is:
RS Deals
vergobooks@gmail.com

The bookseller said it is right book and it is the International edition.

natarshas
3/8/16

I ordered a book from a seller who claimed to be in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The book arrived from Malaysia and without a Tax Invoice which is required for any sale in Australia. When I requested a Tax Invoice the seller had no idea what I was talking about. When I contacted Abebooks about this they told me I must be been confused as Abebooks is based in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I am not and was never confused. Multiple emails have gone back and forward between myself and Abebooks without resolution.

Tip for consumers: Pay the extra money to use a bookstore, even if it's online.

16 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question