Review of AbeBooks

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

keithp43
3/22/17

If I could give no stars I would. I received a completely different book to that I ordered despite several confirmatory emails. This does seem to be a common occurrence with this web site from the comments I have seen since. Their customer service is worse than useless as I still haven't received a refund. They wanted me to abuse the postal service to return the book and when I refused they insisted that I had to return it at my expense. I didn't even order the damn book!! I will never go near them again and advise anyone else to avoid them.

tonyz9
3/18/17

Wow, what a bad purchase!! The book came from "India". It SMELLS horribly - I don't know if it's the ink, or the paper, or something else, but the smell is noxious..... AND it is woefully undersized! The original was 9 x 12 but this "book" must be 6 x 9 The print is so small, I'll ruin my eyes if I try to use it. VERY disappointed and I will never buy from them again.

rutik
3/14/17

I received a request to pay more for delivery, which I did. Still,the book never arrived and they refuse to refund because it's been more than 30 days after the expected delivery date. STAY AWAY!

alyssak13
3/10/17

If I could give them zero stars then I would. I was buying an online Spanish book and the one I thought I was buying was identical to the one my teacher offered in class. When I finally received my account code in the email about 3 weeks later, it turned out that the code didn't work. I sent it back and requested a refund and they told me that they wouldn't refund my money because I scratched off the silver bar in order to see what my account number was. However, I tried to explain to them that I can't see if the account works until I scratch off the bar to see my code, but they refuse to send me another one that works or refund me. So now I'm out $50 and have to buy another book anyways. Their customer service is horrible and it's hard to actually talk to someone about what your problems are with your order.

roseh53
3/7/17

I paid for expedited shipping and the book was a week late. When I asked for the extra money I had spent on fast shipping back, they said that their delivery estimates do not include "Processing time." They were "processing" my book and that's why it was a week late. Ridiculous! You can't make a bargin and then not hold up your end of the deal.

rippedo22
3/6/17

Purchased a new book from this site, 8 weeks later still had not arrived and they offer to replace with a second hand book. It is obvious what they are doing.
They never had the book in the first place
They charge you a huge price for book and shipping
They have the use of your money for a few months or more

victorv2
2/24/17

I recently purchased a rare book through abebooks.com. The book was shipped from the UK and arrived looking pretty good, but upon further inspection was missing many plates. Abebooks made sure I was reimbursed for the $ 85.00 return shipping, original Charles including shipping, and paid for priority shipping on a replacement order. They also gave me a 15% discount on that order. They were courteous, prompt and very helpful in solving the problem. I highly recommend them.

juliam83
2/23/17

Hi! I bought a book for my paralegal class from this company a month ago. I paid for a shipping. I was at home the whole day when I should receive my package. Nobody called in my door bell. Next day I checked status of delivery it said that package was left on front door but it was`t there. Delivery guy couldn't left package outside because it was raining and I live in 4 apartments house. Nobody couldn't took it. I was at my post office. They said that nothing can help me. I could't make a claim that return my money from post office because my package did't have insurance. I paid for my book $115. I did't sign and allow that delivery guy could left package near front door. I was tried to discuss this situation with Abebook via email but they said it is not their problem. They are working online and want to save customers. Yhey should do something that everyone will be happy! Why are Amazon or Ebay popular? Because in this case they always send money back or a new one order.

marisad6
2/12/17

I will never again order a book from this website. I ordered the book I needed for the class, it showed the picture of the book that was required for my class and when i got it in the mail it was the STUDENT MANUAL for the book. I was so mad that i had spent $100 on a book that ended up being the wrong one, so i e-mailed them asking if i could return it, they e-mailed me back that i could and i needed to do a return request, so i did. Then the next day i got an e-mail saying to disregard the other e-mail, that i couldn't return it because it was my fault. I ended up throwing a big enough fit that they told me i could return the book and get a refund. I returned the book through USPS like they requested, and I've had to hound them for my refund. They asked me when would be a convenient time for them to call about my refund and i told them 2 PM the next day, not only did they not call at 2 PM the next day, they called at 9 PM and i couldn't understand the guy over the phone and he was extremely rude. I've returned the book over a month ago and i still haven't received my refund and i am still hounding them everyday for it. AWFUL place to order from and terrible customer service.

judithn13
2/9/17

I ordered a book 3 weeks ago and my book was supposed to arrive a week ago! I have missed already two assignments because it's late and now I can't even find the tracking information!

mh163
2/1/17

Needed a rare 3rd edition of a book, and I found it on Abebooks. I emailed to confirm it is a 3rd edition (4th editions are worth $0). It was confirmed. After I ordered, I was told my credit card was declined (was just a lie), and to pay via paypal, which I did. Now I have 2 charges for my 3rd edition book. A week later, a box arrives from Amazon, inside a book, 4th edition! The receipt had a much lower price than what I paid, since the 4rd edition is worthless. I was told to return it for a full refund. Then I found out about the double charge. I was promised to have that refunded as well. Nothing happened for 2 weeks. Then another box arrived, another worthless piece of junk 4th edition (I was told for my double payment) Same again, returned it, no refund. Was told they never received the books, although I had tracking numbers. I had to start a dispute case with my credit card bank, and with payal in order to have the scammers admit they have received my returned merchandise, and that they were lying about not having received the books. What a waste of my life - all the time I spent communicating, trips to the post office, emailing, disputing... I will file a complain with the BBB. This company is evidently trying to scam people out of their money. I am sure most people just let it go after paying top price for a piece of worthless junk, because it takes too much effort to have their money back. This company needs to be reported to the BBB. I urge anyone else to do the same. If you were tricked into buying a valuable product, and have been mailed something worthless, file a complain with the BBB. Maybe together we can stop this nonsense. If you want to loose your money, please donate it to any charity, instead of buying fraudulent products from this company. Thank you for considering!

tammier6
1/26/17

I am having trouble understanding how this company can put on their website,"US Superfast Books". I ordered school books for my son. For a long time we never even received a tracking email and when we finally did, the books were being tracked from India and Germany and were awaiting being passed through customs! We are still waiting for the books and my son's classes started two weeks ago. I never leave bad reviews but this one warranted taking the time to let potential buyers know.

jenas3
1/26/17

If you type in an ISBN trying to find your book you will find it but once you add that book to your cart another edition of that book will be in there instead. This place sucks

brooklyns4
1/25/17

I ordered my book a month before my class was set to begin. My class is now ongoing for two weeks and I still have not seen my book. I tried contacting the company and they took forever to reply. They claim to have resent another book but that has not been over a week ago and there is still no sign of a book. Don't waste your time on this company!!

jannaq
1/24/17

I purchased a 120$ order for my books. After 6 4 months still didn't get my books. Emailed and called them for 5 times, they told me to wait then now they say that I should have told them 30 days after purchase and won't receive my money back. Lost 120$ for nothing.

gregk37
1/23/17

Sent me the wrong book and I henny I emailed to tell them they somehow said it was my fault and only gave me half my money back!

sherryb54
1/21/17

I purchased a signed copy of a book and was very excited to find it.
But then, WITH NO EXPLANATION, they returned my money on PayPal and just cancelled my order.
They ignored my requests for an explanation.
Really really bad service. Don't use these people.

johnb778
1/19/17

Ordered an oversized book from Abebooks I normally use Amazon but they had the best price. The put the book in a book with only bubble wrap on one side to fill up the box so of course the other two corners were severely damaged on transit. Then it costs me almost as much as the book to send back for a refund. So I technically paid the Post Office money for nothing and Abebooks will just sell the damaged book and still come out with a profit. I will never order another book from them again.

geraldineb13
1/15/17

I have ordered twice from Abe Books, the second time the book was fine, but the first time I ordered two identical books both supposedly 'Good', but I wouldn't really describe either as good, and one of them (ex-library) had a piece cut out of a page! Even if that had not been spotted then the overall look of the book should have warranted a lesser price and description.

dallinl
1/13/17

They are a nightmare. Awful communication. Bought book on dec 30. They sent me shipping information that told me the book would arrive on the Jan 24. No company needs to wait 25 day to give you your product. I needed the book by Jan 10th so I had to buy it through my campus bookstore. A couple days later the book arrived and they refused a return/refund. Now i'm out 80 bucks.

nobodysf
1/11/17

First time I've ordered a used book from Abe Books. Description says its in good condition and there is nothing about the torn and old and dirty. It took forever to get the book and when I got it saw the book I was so upset. It was all torn and its nothing like what was saying in the description of the book. I can't never trust the ABE BOOKS. I should read the review before I decide to purchase from Abe Books. I will never use Abe books again. By the way it was a bible that I've ordered.

timothym85
1/8/17

They must be too busy making commissions to really care about the customer. They assert no pressure or performance expectations on their sellers, except they have to respond to emails in 2 days. The book seller (Books Tell You Why - ABAA/ILAB) accepted an order on a book, then it never arrived after a month. Reason, you ask? "Bookseller accepted order in error
Comments: Our apology, this book was misplaced, the order was mishandled."
If I wouldn't have inquired, I would have never known there was a problem....not a way to do business. I can no longer trust Abe Books. They could have tried to find another copy and expedited shipping! At least they say they are giving me a refund, but Christmas is long past.

jessicas212
1/8/17

Got a later start than normal funding books. Ordered the book a week and a half before class started. Paid expedited shipping to make sure I would get it on time. It has now been over 2 weeks and I have not received the book. Abesbooks customer service is not helpful at all. Told me shipping delays were normal and I could try to contact the seller. Would not recommend th8s site to anyone.

unhappyb6
1/6/17

At present, abebooks is having difficulty policing its sellers. A central problem is that the abebooks.com website has no provision for feedback from buyers. Because unhappy buyers are silenced, prospective buyers can not tell good sellers from the unscrupulous. Based on the complaints here, as well as my own experience, sellers know that can provide less than satisfactory service, with no expectation of being policed by the abebooks people. It is somewhat shocking that abebooks states they are an amazon.com subsidiary, as Amazon tries much harder,

So, rhetorically, why not one star? The reason is that the abebooks phone service did initiate a refund promptly in my case.

My case: Placed an order, paying for expedited shipping. Seller waited ten days to ship, then purchased the cheapest shipping service available (media mail), not priority service, as promised. Book is not scheduled to arrive by promised date. Seller sent obviously false claims in email.

Overall, I'd say that abebooks is a service I would use, but not if I needed the book promptly. If I had, say, six or eight weeks before I needed the book, I'd try abebooks, then cancel the transaction if the associated seller failed to deliver, using another supplier.

everettv2
12/26/16

Many years I always bought from Abe Books, over all other booksellers.
I am a public library librarian.Recently I discovered their customer "problem" response-an automated system website---is, in effect: If there is a screwup, it is the responsibility of the consumer/customer.

23 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question