Review of AbeBooks

Tel: +1.2504123200
domains@abebooks.com

racheln40
10/7/17

My first order was cancelled because the seller didn't ship the book in the timeframe given. Okay, fine, things happen. I decided to give them another chance because of their low prices, and ordered the same book from a different seller. Not the next day, not even two days, FOUR days later my order was cancelled again due to the seller listing the book 'in error', whatever that means.
These issues have lost AbeBooks my business, which is a shame cause I buy a lot of both used & new books. I'll stick with Amazon and pay a little more cause I know without a doubt that I'll actually get what I order.

dann1199
10/5/17

I have ordered countless books from Abe and they are always as advertised and it doesn't take long for current releases to end up there. New David Baldacci book only took about 4 months to be available on Abe.

davidt286
9/30/17

I have been buying books regularly through Abebooks for fourteen years. During that time, I have never had a problem with service or delivery. I recommend Abes.

shannonm122
9/30/17

Do not trust this website at all. Booksellers are unreliable and either don't send you exactly what you want or they don't send anything at all. They asked me to cancel my refund request when I've been waiting 20+ days for a textbook and THEN they decide to tell me it's been shipped.

amberf31
9/28/17

Beware. DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE!!!! They do no stand by there customers. If you order the wrong book, maybe they will take it back was the response i got back. Spend your money else where. This is a scam that takes advantage of people who dont know what they do

brentk22
9/25/17

I just recently came across AbeBooks. I have ordered from AbeBooks twice in past month. Very fast delivery and what I ordered was exactly as promised! Very impressed with AbeBooks. Was shocked to see so many "bad/negative" reviews. Thank you AbeBooks for a very good experience. I am a very happy/satisfied customer and will continue to use AbeBooks in the future!

arleneb28
9/20/17

I bought a book six weeks ago and never received by the promise date of 9/14/17.

I called Abebooks and spoke to Lloyd he gave me crock of you know what. He said it would take seven more days to contact the book publisher. I told him I didn't care and that wanted my money back, and he told me that it was the protocol. Then I got an email saying that they're refunding my money this morning.

Do not buy anything from Abebooks!

albao
9/20/17

I bought a book for my daughter , I paid extra shipping the book never arrived, I have to ask them and never reply, after I keep asking they said the book never was shipped .
never used this website for textbooks ever again ... Worst Service Ever. Nobody to be talked all conversation is by email...NO human Service

christopherf44
9/19/17

Ordered a book from them for my son's University course on 8/21. Still hasn't arrived. Paid for DHL 3-5 day service. Found out it's being sent US Postal. Currently three weeks overdue. Do not buy from Abe Books!!!!!!!!!

guadalupez
9/16/17

I am a college student and the book was taking WAY to long to arrive. I needed to buy the book from my college's book store. Then they told me that they couldn't take it back. I'm a college student. Do they think that I have money that I can throw around. WILL NEVER BUY BOOKS HERE AGAIN.

kp112
9/15/17

I will never use this website for textbooks again. I purchased a "New" textbook and paid for expedited (3 to 7 business days) shipping. The book I received was clearly used, had highlighting throughout, and it took almost 4 weeks to arrive. Stay away!

vanessac66
9/15/17

My "brand new" textbook turned out to be a knock off...you name it: smudged ink, faded ink, typos that aren't found in a legitimate copy of the book (I know because I borrowed the REAL version from my school library), pages with folds in them. I paid over $100 for a home made book. I will never use this site again.

annaho1
9/14/17

Run for your life from this website...ha! I've never seen this kind of fraud website in my life. I've ordered for my nursing school textbook from this website since August 22, 2017 and today is Sept 14, 2017, almost one month and i've not receive my textbook and MY EXAM is next WEEK. Some people said only buyers from outside USA are the only one having problems with ABEBOOKs are liars because I live in US. I even called the DHL two days ago to confirm the tracking number they gave me, but they said they don't have my book yet.

If had known, i would have read reviews before purchasing. if you have opportunity to read all the reviews in the website and you still purchase from them, then you're on your own. People who seems to write good review for them are from the workers i think.The only thing i still wish to do, is to make a video and share both on google and everywhere i can, to tell people about this fraud website. I wish not to give any star but the site won't let me....VERY POOR SELLER!

maryh358
9/14/17

Don't trust giving you a credit card to them I have not received my book and my card was charged $160 including fast shipping fees I tried once before buying a book from them and two weeks later they said the book was out of stock don't know why I tried a second time don't trust them.

rc134
9/13/17

order # 6023205796, will be contacting the BBB. The $68.00 they stole from me will cost them a lot more than that in labor hours by the time I am done.

elisej7
9/13/17

The sellers do not bother to check the texts they're selling. I received an "advanced copy" of a book (i.e. a manuscript an authors sends out to editors before final publishing) instead of the final product. Don't bother with expedited shipping, as they'll profit the extra cash and send it through standard mail.

charlottel22
9/12/17

Takes too long to get your order. Too much back and forth with book sellers who don't care. No refund. I will not use Abebooks again or recommend this site to anyone. I will tell them to avoid Abehbooks cause the poor, low class, customer service

by574
9/10/17

Description of the book was a New, but they sent me a used one!
I have been charged for a full new book price, and I asked a refund, but they never responded. What kind of customer service is that?

keitha55
9/3/17

I've used Abebooks to find good copies of worthwhile books at the lowest prices almost since the site opened---and after placing hundreds of orders that have been promptly filled and fairly billed, I remain 100 percent delighted with the site. I don't normally bother reviewing websites, but have taken the trouble to do so in this instance because I strongly suspect the negative reviews I've encountered here are put up by ABAA booksellers.

pamb76
9/3/17

The site has been down for days ... what is going on and how soon can we expect it to be back up. It's hard to make $ without an active site!

marcon21
9/3/17

I see most of people writing reviews here on sitejabber just wants to vent their anger after having had some trouble with Abebooks. I've bought more than one hundred books on Abe and in most cases everything went straight. Prices are reasonable and you can get wonderful books for a few euros. In my town here in Italy there are no good second hand book stores (like everywhere in Italy) and thus Abe is pratically my only choice. Yes, somethimes things go wrong (books lost, arrived damaged, arrived very late, etc.) but this also happens with Amazon, eBay, etc. etc. (it is always a good idea to choose a reputable seller).

joanm91
8/31/17

I ordered a book on August 9th, I was told it was shipped, but the tracking number was "not available." Weeks went by, no book was delivered, and they did agree to return my money. It's now been almost a month, and still no book. I don't believe it was ever sent.

bianchiec
8/28/17

I bought a books from TextbookRush and Buyertech through Abebooks and I was charged $50.00 delivery per book. When I try to stop the transaction because I notice that I was being charge a high delivery fee, they rudely told me that the charges were clearly stated at time order. This was NOT true, the charges stated $6.00 max. DO NOT BUY FROM ABEBOOKS!!!!

daphned11
8/23/17

I ordered my fall 2017 semester book list from here, got 1 book out of 7. I placed my order on 8/4 chose 3-6 business days for all my books... I have yet to recieve any others.

It turns out that sellers have the option to market 3-6 business days then use cheap shipping options that take up to a month.

One particular seller wont look into the issue until the book hasnt arrived for 30days. This seller is Textbookrush, they took my money for faster shipping, then sent it packaged bound, then they sent me emails stating I needed to follow the tracking number. It took 7 emails and me getting quiet snarky to get them to state they wont do anything for 30days. I live in Michigan, they sent it out of ohio, there is no logical reason I shouldnt have this book by now, a full 22 days later.

The worst part is I spent 2hrs on the phone waiting through customer service holds at the USPS for them to tell me that they dont have a package associated with the tracking number, their system clearly shows that the slip was generated, but it never arrived at a facility to begin the official tracking process. Which means that textbookrush generated a slip, but from their on thwir end soley nothing more was done. Hey human error right? Heres the thing, Textbookrush REFUSES to do anything for 30 days, their website independently of abebooks states they wont return anything after 30days....

I dont really care at this point I am livid, but this is why I only online shop with my credit card, I can submit a claim on the 30th and they will get my money back for me, thats the beauty of discover.

However, I wouldnt reccomend using abebooks, they have not helped facilitate this concern at all. In fact because the company supplied a tracking number, they wont allow a refund to even start and requires me to do all the handling with the company, which is already NOT handling it in any intelligble way.

So this means that abebooks does not advocate for their customers like other warehouse or title sites do.

Maybe Amazon has spoiled me, but this is not acceptable to me at all. I wouldnt reccomend abebooks, and I would suggest everyone read the return and shipping policy for textbookrush, if you use their direct website, because they have things like a 151% restock fee, and insane shipping policies that only benefit their own screw ups and a complete lack of integrity in their customer service department.

roberth402
8/19/17

I have been shocked at the poor reviews I've seen for Abebooks. I've used them for years and never had a problem. I only order from the United Kingdom or the USA & that might be the reason. I live in the UK. I've always get what I've ordered, sometimes quick, sometimes not, but I'm very happy with their service.

Helpful answer

I've not had the bad experiences of the previous reviewers. That said, choose your sellers carefully. Just as on ebay, etc., check the reviews of the seller. One of the sellers I use often on Abe is Hippo Books. They sent me an email recently that the book I ordered from them was not the advertised quality and that their packers caught the mistake. The book was not salvagable and was regrettably destroyed. They checked their stock and did not have another copy at all. They promptly refunded my money without me having to ask. They were apologetic and I have since then purchased other books from them with dependable and accurate results. Another seller I use is Owls Books. They refunded my money after one email to them when I complained that the condition of the book I received did not match the advertisement. Again, absolutely no hassle and good results since then. I like to use sellers in close proximity to my residence or at least in the same state. Your experience will, as always, will depend on your due diligence as a buyer.

By Melody B. on 4/6/16
Helpful answer

"Trust" and "Abe Books" do not go hand in hand, based on my experience....

By Johnny F. on 8/15/15
Helpful answer

Abe however did gave me my money back due to the book never arriving.

By Hugo P. on 7/21/15
Helpful answer

Good luck is all I can say I'm afraid. They told me to write not known at this address in the parcel and put it in a postbox and promised a refund once they had received it. Surprise, surprise - they never acknowledged receipt and I never got a refund. Congratulations that you were previously satisfied. One if the few I fear!!

By Keith P. on 2/24/17
Helpful answer

No do not trust this site. They send the wrong books pages missing and it takes 3 to 5 weeks to finally get you

By Tanya G. on 9/5/16
Helpful answer

Sketchy, Abebooks sells books through mulitple sellers (like Ebay), but actually Ebay is more reliable. If you can get anywhere else, then do. It may work out okay.

By Jean P. on 3/24/16
Helpful answer

In my experience, the charge doesn't post until the books ships, at which point the vendor sends me an e-mail. Depending on the card you use and the vendor who sells you the book, your experience can vary. I've had books arrive within two days up to two weeks. AbeBooks has always been good about refunding my money in cases where the book is damaged or in bad condition. A good rule of thumb is never to spend more than $10.00 for any book on AbeBooks; if you want a higher-priced or new book, go to Amazon and make sure your order is listed as being fulfilled by Amazon to ensure a refund if you need one (they will ask you to return the book, however).

By Cynthia K. on 4/10/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the AbeBooks staff and other customers.

3 Photos for AbeBooks