US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

marisad6
2/12/17

I will never again order a book from this website. I ordered the book I needed for the class, it showed the picture of the book that was required for my class and when i got it in the mail it was the STUDENT MANUAL for the book. I was so mad that i had spent $100 on a book that ended up being the wrong one, so i e-mailed them asking if i could return it, they e-mailed me back that i could and i needed to do a return request, so i did. Then the next day i got an e-mail saying to disregard the other e-mail, that i couldn't return it because it was my fault. I ended up throwing a big enough fit that they told me i could return the book and get a refund. I returned the book through USPS like they requested, and I've had to hound them for my refund. They asked me when would be a convenient time for them to call about my refund and i told them 2 PM the next day, not only did they not call at 2 PM the next day, they called at 9 PM and i couldn't understand the guy over the phone and he was extremely rude. I've returned the book over a month ago and i still haven't received my refund and i am still hounding them everyday for it. AWFUL place to order from and terrible customer service.

judithn13
2/9/17

I ordered a book 3 weeks ago and my book was supposed to arrive a week ago! I have missed already two assignments because it's late and now I can't even find the tracking information!

mh163
2/1/17

Needed a rare 3rd edition of a book, and I found it on Abebooks. I emailed to confirm it is a 3rd edition (4th editions are worth $0). It was confirmed. After I ordered, I was told my credit card was declined (was just a lie), and to pay via paypal, which I did. Now I have 2 charges for my 3rd edition book. A week later, a box arrives from Amazon, inside a book, 4th edition! The receipt had a much lower price than what I paid, since the 4rd edition is worthless. I was told to return it for a full refund. Then I found out about the double charge. I was promised to have that refunded as well. Nothing happened for 2 weeks. Then another box arrived, another worthless piece of junk 4th edition (I was told for my double payment) Same again, returned it, no refund. Was told they never received the books, although I had tracking numbers. I had to start a dispute case with my credit card bank, and with payal in order to have the scammers admit they have received my returned merchandise, and that they were lying about not having received the books. What a waste of my life - all the time I spent communicating, trips to the post office, emailing, disputing... I will file a complain with the BBB. This company is evidently trying to scam people out of their money. I am sure most people just let it go after paying top price for a piece of worthless junk, because it takes too much effort to have their money back. This company needs to be reported to the BBB. I urge anyone else to do the same. If you were tricked into buying a valuable product, and have been mailed something worthless, file a complain with the BBB. Maybe together we can stop this nonsense. If you want to loose your money, please donate it to any charity, instead of buying fraudulent products from this company. Thank you for considering!

tammier6
1/26/17

I am having trouble understanding how this company can put on their website,"US Superfast Books". I ordered school books for my son. For a long time we never even received a tracking email and when we finally did, the books were being tracked from India and Germany and were awaiting being passed through customs! We are still waiting for the books and my son's classes started two weeks ago. I never leave bad reviews but this one warranted taking the time to let potential buyers know.

jenas3
1/26/17

If you type in an ISBN trying to find your book you will find it but once you add that book to your cart another edition of that book will be in there instead. This place sucks

brooklyns4
1/25/17

I ordered my book a month before my class was set to begin. My class is now ongoing for two weeks and I still have not seen my book. I tried contacting the company and they took forever to reply. They claim to have resent another book but that has not been over a week ago and there is still no sign of a book. Don't waste your time on this company!!

jannaq
1/24/17

I purchased a 120$ order for my books. After 6 4 months still didn't get my books. Emailed and called them for 5 times, they told me to wait then now they say that I should have told them 30 days after purchase and won't receive my money back. Lost 120$ for nothing.

gregk37
1/23/17

Sent me the wrong book and I henny I emailed to tell them they somehow said it was my fault and only gave me half my money back!

sherryb54
1/21/17

I purchased a signed copy of a book and was very excited to find it.
But then, WITH NO EXPLANATION, they returned my money on PayPal and just cancelled my order.
They ignored my requests for an explanation.
Really really bad service. Don't use these people.

johnb778
1/19/17

Ordered an oversized book from Abebooks I normally use Amazon but they had the best price. The put the book in a book with only bubble wrap on one side to fill up the box so of course the other two corners were severely damaged on transit. Then it costs me almost as much as the book to send back for a refund. So I technically paid the Post Office money for nothing and Abebooks will just sell the damaged book and still come out with a profit. I will never order another book from them again.

geraldineb13
1/15/17

I have ordered twice from Abe Books, the second time the book was fine, but the first time I ordered two identical books both supposedly 'Good', but I wouldn't really describe either as good, and one of them (ex-library) had a piece cut out of a page! Even if that had not been spotted then the overall look of the book should have warranted a lesser price and description.

dallinl
1/13/17

They are a nightmare. Awful communication. Bought book on dec 30. They sent me shipping information that told me the book would arrive on the Jan 24. No company needs to wait 25 day to give you your product. I needed the book by Jan 10th so I had to buy it through my campus bookstore. A couple days later the book arrived and they refused a return/refund. Now i'm out 80 bucks.

nobodysf
1/11/17

First time I've ordered a used book from Abe Books. Description says its in good condition and there is nothing about the torn and old and dirty. It took forever to get the book and when I got it saw the book I was so upset. It was all torn and its nothing like what was saying in the description of the book. I can't never trust the ABE BOOKS. I should read the review before I decide to purchase from Abe Books. I will never use Abe books again. By the way it was a bible that I've ordered.

timothym85
1/8/17

They must be too busy making commissions to really care about the customer. They assert no pressure or performance expectations on their sellers, except they have to respond to emails in 2 days. The book seller (Books Tell You Why - ABAA/ILAB) accepted an order on a book, then it never arrived after a month. Reason, you ask? "Bookseller accepted order in error
Comments: Our apology, this book was misplaced, the order was mishandled."
If I wouldn't have inquired, I would have never known there was a problem....not a way to do business. I can no longer trust Abe Books. They could have tried to find another copy and expedited shipping! At least they say they are giving me a refund, but Christmas is long past.

jessicas212
1/8/17

Got a later start than normal funding books. Ordered the book a week and a half before class started. Paid expedited shipping to make sure I would get it on time. It has now been over 2 weeks and I have not received the book. Abesbooks customer service is not helpful at all. Told me shipping delays were normal and I could try to contact the seller. Would not recommend th8s site to anyone.

unhappyb6
1/6/17

At present, abebooks is having difficulty policing its sellers. A central problem is that the abebooks.com website has no provision for feedback from buyers. Because unhappy buyers are silenced, prospective buyers can not tell good sellers from the unscrupulous. Based on the complaints here, as well as my own experience, sellers know that can provide less than satisfactory service, with no expectation of being policed by the abebooks people. It is somewhat shocking that abebooks states they are an amazon.com subsidiary, as Amazon tries much harder,

So, rhetorically, why not one star? The reason is that the abebooks phone service did initiate a refund promptly in my case.

My case: Placed an order, paying for expedited shipping. Seller waited ten days to ship, then purchased the cheapest shipping service available (media mail), not priority service, as promised. Book is not scheduled to arrive by promised date. Seller sent obviously false claims in email.

Overall, I'd say that abebooks is a service I would use, but not if I needed the book promptly. If I had, say, six or eight weeks before I needed the book, I'd try abebooks, then cancel the transaction if the associated seller failed to deliver, using another supplier.

everettv2
12/26/16

Many years I always bought from Abe Books, over all other booksellers.
I am a public library librarian.Recently I discovered their customer "problem" response-an automated system website---is, in effect: If there is a screwup, it is the responsibility of the consumer/customer.

jonathant45
12/17/16

Customer Service NIGHTMARE. I emailed your company seconds after a misinformed purchase was made on your site due to incorrect information in the ad for the book i ordered connected with this Order number AB-10507. I was not reached by email until 24 hours later, which is probably automated so they don't have to deal with cancelations. This site is ILLEGAL in the way it informs and deals intentionally denies your right to canceling a misrepresented product.

until 24 hours after my emails alerting your company of the falsely
represented book.

davidb599
12/12/16

I've used Abebooks for several years and in the past have been satisfied with most of the transactions. Now however, Abebooks has a policy of allowing Sellers to disguise their location - for example, a seller may represent they are based in a United States city but in reality are an overseas company AND shipping FROM overseas to the United States. Abebooks allows a loophole for an overseas Seller to do this as long as they indicate somewhere in their listing that they "MAY" ship from some other location - even without full disclosure. This enables Sellers' deception of point of origin of your package. This directly impacts shipping time, increases the risk of damage and increases your financial privacy risks of dealing with a disguised, overseas Seller. I first contacted Abebooks about this policy, they determined the Seller "met their requirements" and took no action other than to tell me I could request a refund. I am very disappointed Abebooks is enabling this kind of Seller deception and encourage you to think twice before using this service.

ufiwh
11/13/16

They sent me the wrong book, probably on purpose. Scammers, I will pay more on Amazon than buy from these people

brendanm26
10/28/16

Book says in stock, you pay, you get an email saying successful purchase and it will arrive in 4-6 business days. Then a month later still no book has arrived. You ask what is happening, answer given is "book got lost by the courier" and a refund is on the way and there is no more stock of this book. They never contact you to tell you there is a problem. You have to chase after them. After all of this I look at the website, says book is in stock! Avoid like the plague

shirleys84
10/25/16

I ordered books from AbeBooks recently and I received them in good time. Previous orders have also been received with no issues. I would buy from AbeBooks again.

bobb1082
10/15/16

Probably the worst online transaction ever. Sent defective merchandise and received conflicting instructions for the return. I finally disputed the charges with my credit card company who reimbursed me. Too much drama with these guys

kateb62
10/12/16

If you get the book you ordered and it comes on time, then good for you; you are truly lucky! However, in the event you have ANY sort of problem with your order then good luck getting anything handled or fixed at all. I have been in the process of trying to return a book for a month and a half now, and it wasn't that I ordered the wrong book, what I received was not at all as described on the website. The individual seller that I have been trying to work with (Bookish) has absolutely WORTHLESS customer service, and AbeBooks has been no help in the issue either. Do yourself a favor and order your books from another website, the few dollars you may save by going through AbeBooks is not at all worth the stress and frustration of trying to deal with returns and customer service of this company.

maxw236
10/11/16

I ordered my book for my microeconomics on September 11th. The estimated delivery date was the 25th, which at first I thought was pretty late delivery date, but I was willing to stick with it. It is now Oct 12th and I have already gotten the scores back from my first exam, and the book still has not arrived. I emailed them but they said they cannot do anything unless it is 25 days past the estimated delivery date, and that they don't have a tracking number for me! Stay Away!!!!

22 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question