Wikipedia

Wikipedia has a consumer rating of 4.06 stars from 141 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Wikipedia most frequently mention online encyclopedia, many times and reliable source. Wikipedia ranks 2nd among Open Source sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 36.4%

• Wikipedia has brought information just one click away.
  • Even though people add or edit the info, most of the time it is accurate.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate Wikipedia?

“Well known resource for basically any task you may have to it”

Stephen P.
3/23/20

Well known resource for basically any task you may have to it. If you need some information which needs immediate details along with facts, please disclose them all entirely. I assume it have good solid reviews cause there is big reason for that.

“Amazing Wikipedia”

Emmanuel E.
5/3/20

I recently by mistake tap on edit option of wikipedia while scrolling screen the pop up message displays say ( You have been blocked from editing wikipedia) SHOCKED I never ever have tried in my life and why will I edit that this is something which I have no concern I rarely use wikipedia. Can anyone tell me how can I block wikipedia in google search.

information (68) people (29) articles (21) time (37)
abhimanyud
October 8th, 2020
The pages given on the site are quite informative. Plus if the data given on a topic has not been verified then it is mentioned on the page.
kazukih
May 24th, 2019
Wikipedia is unique helpful website. The editing feature is great since many people have knowledge they can add in real time to correct, And For only $5, people can make a contribution to keep Wikipedia online. Even if we only contribute every few years, we show our respect for knowledge and for everyone else using the Internet, and Yeah some of the information is not entirely 100% accurate, just as many encyclopedias contain errors or become obsolete. Wikipedia was a great idea, and has been useful to millions.
petert237
October 31st, 2018
I like wikipedia because you find information about pretty much anything. If you are a curious person and bored you can just go to wikipedia, go to a random article and learn something new. It might not be very practical, but it might help you think of something more interesting to do. Obviously its not a place to do scientific research, but the sources on articles can often times be quite valuable and help you find a more detailed source of information. Wikipedia is a great place to read biographies about real people. It can also be used as an unbiased news site.
hassellk
March 20th, 2018
• Updated review
Hi, I've previously written a less then positive review of Wikipedia, but have come to be much more fond of it over the past couple of months. I still think that when it comes to participating in Wikipedia from the side of editing pages and participating in there community they can be often unfriendly (not always of course). But I have realized that Wikipedia is quite impressive. I think they have done a good job with what resources they have and that opinion of mine goes especially for the top administration. Wikipedia does provide in fact very accurate information for most of there articles. They don't hire famous professionals in there fields like other encyclopedias, which I would say are a tad more accurate, but Wikipedia provides tremendously more information about any given topic then the usual encyclopedia. They've put trust in people and barred people from doing 'whatever thing' sparingly, and they have managed to allow people to produce a high quality COMPREHENSIVE, (which is unusual) encyclopedia. I visit it often for researching small and large things often. Is it a perfect fact book? No, most of there pages contain at least a few errors within them, and my experience has been that it is hard to edit them quickly, but they are usually tiny issues. They have provided a, for the majority, highly accurate and largely comprehensive encyclopedia that helps with my research especially often. Everything for the most part, is, properly written. Maybe people are relying on it much more often then they should, but it is very helpful when properly used, thanks for this resource, Wikipedia!
A unreliable website
March 20th, 2018
• Previous review
Wikipedia is a website I go to many times, and is a good starting place to learn about a particular subject. But although, it is an untrustworthy site that is not often accurate and, sometimes frankly biased. You have to take everything you read there with a grain of salt (especially now). Anyone can write for them which isnt bad, but they advertise themselves like there the almighty settler of information, when in fact they shouldnt be taken (the information there) alone with nothing to back it up! Most pages on Wikipedia are false, it is really a mess. Also, it has a one star for user friendliness. The only reason Im tarring it 3 stars is because of its much info.
ryann47
February 15th, 2017
Wikipedia is generally a reliable source for information, especially recent news and more obscure topics. Granted, some articles are tenuous and need more verification, and Wikipedia has a vandalism and slight problem, but in my experience the Wikipedia interfaces make it easy for anyone to just correct any wrongs as long as the information is correctly referenced. I would give it a B plus because, although it's convenient, it's not always correct, so double check every Wikipedia article if you think something is wrong.
deedeek4
July 12th, 2018
Wikipedia is contending for the number one source of online information. Given that it can practically be edited by anyone, caution should be exercised when use is official or formal in purpose.
xavierb39
December 27th, 2018
Very reliable website that is easy to edit (for better or for worse). Rarely fictitious and often edited by people who know what they are doing.
ericas30
August 20th, 2016
I try not to use it as a source for research, but pretty good website if you want to find some interesting facts.
rickj19
September 17th, 2014
Wiki is amazing. But you have to be attentive, because some articles might be incorrect. So I recommend to recheck the information before taking it from wikipedia. Also it is sad that such a great service searches for donations all the time. I truly hope they will manage find enough resources for further growth. Well done, keep going!
rhysj3
July 6th, 2015
Wikipedia provides good info and this site also provides editing services if there is any mistake you find in the data.
ashleyf15
January 7th, 2014
Short and sweet; it's open to the world for edits but the staff is generally excellent at fixing/correcting/banning blatant mistakes and/or opinions regarding the subject matter. Just the facts.

That being said, it should not be considered the end all be all. Dare to use reputable news sites and/or *gasp* an actual book to conduct serious research.
evanr8
June 27th, 2015
Many times i took data from wikipedia. Most of the time i got good marks in my assignments and research papers. Thank you wikipedia.

Tip for consumers: Use this for quality data

jolynl
April 30th, 2013
Wikipedia is a good, somewhat useful site. The problem is users can go in and change things so sometimes the information is not 100 percent accurate. It isn't a bad place to start if you want some simple facts about a famous person, tv show, movie, etc. but if you need to do more indepth research, there are better places to go.
zakg5
July 1st, 2015
Wikipedia almost has correct data. I collect data from here and others many people get data and information.
amyl26
December 7th, 2013
Great site I hope it stays up for many years to come. It needs more supporters though helping with donations.
justinh55
October 3rd, 2014
While controversial I feel that Wikipedia is an interesting and important tool to internet users. It provides the opportunity for people to collaborate with complete strangers to further the availability of knowledge to people. The fact that it is easy to use makes it a common site for students especially and though most instructors would discourage its use, if not the use of the actual page one can use the source lists that are available on the page to find published sources that are credible in most instances. The best way to change the perception of this tool would be to educate its users on the better ways to use the tool to their ends, especially at a student level while continuing to allow the freedom it allows for most to edit and help to endow others with knowledge.
juliannaw1
September 7th, 2012
As long as you use wikipedia as *one* of the sources of your information, it's a wonderful aggregation of information about topics. Certainly anyone can change it, but that's the beauty of it - if pages are changed incorrectly, others typically go in and correct the error (whether intentional or not). Crowd sourcing at its best.
pamelad7
January 27th, 2013
Whenever I want quick reference on something, for instance, when I'm watching television, Wikipedia is great. It covers so many unexpected subjects. In actual fact, it is somewhat moderated, and not just anybody can edit some subjects. That aside, as a retired librarian, what I really like about the Wikipedia articles are the references to other resources given at the end of the articles. These are the most important for verifying the information in the Wikipedia article. The references may make Wikipedia more valuable for a research project than the actual Wikipedia articles. Wikipedia may be best used as a spring board to finding good resources. The internal links in the articles are useful, but you must remember, they are internal and can be just as erroneous.
mm70
August 8th, 2013
Awesome site. But... the editors are sometimes a bit like "Hitlers" to new comers. I think it would be better if the editors were supervised and treated new users with respect for the contributions they make to help improve the site.
elliec1
April 9th, 2012
Wikipedia is a nice website with all the information and knowledge about different stuff. I browse it mostly for geographical contents like countries, places, and cultures.
draken
April 16th, 2013
Great for looking up info quickly. Simple to use, good design, Plenty of links so you don't need to constantly look up every big word you see.
adityap
January 25th, 2011
Has some of the best and most widely used reference on the Web, but watch out for vandalism - when some idiot tries to put spam in a page. The vandalism is fixed quickly though. Not a 4-star site because of Vandalism. Still one of the best sites of the World Wide Web.

P.S. Remember to check out it's sister projects too! They are quite interesting.
kylew6
August 2nd, 2012
Wikipedia. It's a site where a person can learn about many topics. The main concern is that since anyone can edit or post pages on Wikipedia, the site can contain inaccurate information (which is why teachers strongly discourage using Wikipedia as a reference on essays and research papers).
mikeb47
September 19th, 2011
It revolutionized the information industry. Basic information about just about anything can be accessed quickly. It also gives people without the proper credentials, an opportunity to prove themselves (write, author articles, create logos, familiarized with copyright rules).
manekin
August 3rd, 2011
I had to get one star off, as the professors on my college didn't approve some of my papers where I cited Wiki as a secondary source.
Otherwise, ver, VERY informative site!

That's how they are. They call everything they don't like "vandalism." They called it vandalism when I wrote on my own user page about how I disagreed with decisions that were made. I guess this is an old post, but it still matters, and they haven't changed at Wikipedia in any way that I'm aware of.

By Ron S.