Review of Wikipedia

Tel: 3286542401
privacy@wikimedia.org

jessies29
4/10/13

I'm so perturbed with Wikipedia! It's suppose to be free but you have these moderators who can decide what pages should stay or become deleted. I've found several pages where information is inaccurate or credible information was deleted. The site is so unreliable that my nephew's middle school gave instructions not to use that site for reports.

kevinb48
2/21/13

I am so glad for Wikipedia it has all my answers, any research I need I can just go to wikipedia.

harryh19
2/14/13

Everything you search for is in wikipedia. The most true and full of information internet resource

pamelad7
1/27/13

Whenever I want quick reference on something, for instance, when I'm watching television, Wikipedia is great. It covers so many unexpected subjects. In actual fact, it is somewhat moderated, and not just anybody can edit some subjects. That aside, as a retired librarian, what I really like about the Wikipedia articles are the references to other resources given at the end of the articles. These are the most important for verifying the information in the Wikipedia article. The references may make Wikipedia more valuable for a research project than the actual Wikipedia articles. Wikipedia may be best used as a spring board to finding good resources. The internal links in the articles are useful, but you must remember, they are internal and can be just as erroneous.

larsl4
1/21/13

Whenever I have a question, I turn to Wikipedia for answers. If you can't find it here, it's probably not worth knowing...

lillyk2
1/6/13

I love this site! Its just so simple to use. :) I trust the information and it so nice to be user of wikipedia.org

jessical19
12/10/12

best website ever! what would i do without it?

eddyt1
12/4/12

Love how non-experts put this together and how it is mostly super accurate. I always use this thing and Im glad the britanica is dead.

Such a cool computer & information technology project

juliannaw1
9/7/12

As long as you use wikipedia as *one* of the sources of your information, it's a wonderful aggregation of information about topics. Certainly anyone can change it, but that's the beauty of it - if pages are changed incorrectly, others typically go in and correct the error (whether intentional or not). Crowd sourcing at its best.

dougc8
8/31/12

I've used this site many times to research things, and found it to be incredibly useful. But recently I had the opportunity to post up information on Wiki pages that deal with an issue that I specialize in, and I found out how dysfunctional Wikipedia was. As near as I could tell I was in full compliance with their posting policies, but every time I posted information, it was taken down immediately. When I asked why, I was told it was because I was not an expert. When I probed further it became clear that the person who thought I was not an expert clearly knew far less about the posting topic than I did, and wasn't really qualified to judge my expert status either way. I actually am the Only independent national expert on the topic that I was posting on. After 3 days of back & forth discussions with "citizen monitors" who would not let me post any information, I came to the conclusion that the volunteers who control the posting process and have the right to take down legit postings were poorly trained, and that it would take less time to use other venues to get information out on my topic.
So given the problem that I had trying to contribute useful information on a topic, I have to assume that many other Wiki pages are also compromised by the actions of poorly trained volunteers at Wikipedia.

kylew6
8/2/12

Wikipedia. It's a site where a person can learn about many topics. The main concern is that since anyone can edit or post pages on Wikipedia, the site can contain inaccurate information (which is why teachers strongly discourage using Wikipedia as a reference on essays and research papers).

leoz2
6/21/12

Before wikipedia was created, I have to go to the libraries to research for my school works. Now that wikipedia is here, it became easier. Although some of the teachers do not allow wikipedia as a source of info for thesis or other technical papers, because they say, it can be edited and wasn't verified unlike data from real encyclopedia.
Nevertheless, i can understand lessons better as I browsed over wiki infos.

barbaras28
5/30/12

I think Wikipedia is a fun site and gives you a good broad overview of things. However, the content often has errors and it is not a fully reliable source for information. I will put it this way, my daughter tried to use it was a source for a research paper and the teacher gave the entire class a lesson about finding more valid sources. That is not intended as a putdown to Wikipedia. It is good, general knowledge but if you are seriously researching something you need to dig deeper.

ramirol
5/9/12

You actually don't need to do primary or secondary schooling. You can just go straight to college. For that, use this website, plus books of course. As of right now the English Wikipedia has 3,945,605 articles in English. The German Wikipedia has 1,383,000 in German. The entire Encyclopedia has over 1 Billion edits. Its free for users to register and join to contribute content.
The website is very well organized. A little trick, Alt + X = random article

elliec1
4/9/12

Wikipedia is a nice website with all the information and knowledge about different stuff. I browse it mostly for geographical contents like countries, places, and cultures.

aliciar1
4/3/12

Wikipedia has brought information just one click away. In my spare time I browse wikipedia to gain knowledge about different things. Its like a one stop shop.

jinaw
3/27/12

I love Wikipedia! It is definitely the most useful site of all times! I use it every day both at work and home. And they have info about absolutely everything I need to know!

bobj21
3/14/12

You can try to pull the "but it could have been written by a 3 year old" card out for this site but it wouldn't be realistic. Wikipedia is well moderated and there's something to be said for the fact that it appears in the top ten of nearly every internet search.

In fact, I think wikipedia is probably MORE accurate than other "encyclopedias" because of HOW it is moderated.

Either way, if you've been browsing the internet for more than 10 minutes you probably already know (and have used) wikipedia. You don't need yet another review telling you that it's a good thing. You already know.

REASONS TO USE:
[1] Well moderated
[2] Amazingly diverse information library
[3] Relevant to almost every search for information

REASON TO LOSE:
[1] None.

anab13
2/21/12

Very reliable. Have found a lot of useful information on there. Kudos to the people who work so hard on keeping it updated so quickly.

kathleenm8
1/23/12

Wikipedia is a great site, I can find everything about any topic, I disagree with the new law

clived
1/11/12
lisaf12
12/21/11

Who doesn't love Wikipedia! Okay some of the info can be outdated or even incorrect, but considering the cost (FREE) you can get info on just about anything or anyone.

pault16
12/10/11

When I need facts about anything wikipedia is one of. My most trusted sites.

davidb57
11/21/11

Nothing but good things to say about this site. Complete, interesting and professional. End of story.

kelseym1
11/18/11

Anytime you want to get a decent overview on a topic, this is a good site. They have information on just about everything! Warning to college students though, this is NOT an acceptable source to be sited for information on papers. :-)

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Maybe you can begin by trying to write proper English.

By jabba t.
Questions? Get answers from the Wikipedia staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Wikipedia