Review of Trulia

Tel: +1-415-462-5178
customerservice@trulia.com

richl13
2/4/19

Trulia.com is now part of the Zillow collection of rental sites. It is a nice reference to available apartments and homes.

edb202
1/6/19

We live in one house and recently sold another. Trulia uses third party information, without verifying it first, to use on it's website. It now shows the house we lived in as SOLD for the price our other house actually sold for, which is much less! People who use the Trulia site will now believe this is what our house is worth should we choose to sell it, or at the very least offer confusion. I have contacted Trulia several times and they responded with, "we use a third party to gather information and must wait for the next cycle to make corrections." When I asked when that next cycle is they did not know! When I asked them to put the old information back they would not. Notice I said "Would Not" because they cannot. Every response from them was just lip service that they were working to improve their services. Which I must point out, "Without Success!" If you are looking at sites for real estate please ignore Trulia! The information they have can easily be incorrect and no one wants false information when buying a house.

marvinp5
11/28/18

This website and company is SUCH TRASH. I won't even get into how they conduct business, as others have said that, but just USING THE SITE is trash! It is one of the WORST and poorly run websites I have ever had the displeasure of using! I recently posted an ad on there to find a roommate for my apartment. There are so many broken features on the website, I legitimately can't list them all. So I'll only name the major ones:

1) the upload photos section is broken and *requires* three cover pictures at all times, but also won't let you delete pictures or add new ones! You get an "error" message each time, so literally the only time you can add pictures to an ad is on the very first time creating it. You cannot edit photos you have on there because the three cover pictures requirement makes this impossible. You almost always get an error message. Not to mention, the section uses a Flash uploader and isn't basic. Why use Flash if you're not even going to work right!

2) The dropdown menu for contacting doesn't work. It is also broken. You can put "email only" all you want and it'll just default to "call" instead. I DON'T want random people calling me!

3) They automatically put your phone number out there on the ad. There is no way for them to change the settings for this and I did NOT want my direct line made public! I don't remember if providing a phone number was mandatory or not, but this is made even worse if it is AND they automatically make it public without your permission! The only way you'd be able to get around this is to give them a fake number or a business-only number. They assume that you're a realtor or something.

4) You can't edit a lot on the website, only this time, I mean, they deny you the option, not the website is too broken and buggy to actually work right. You can't put in the specific neighborhood you're in, for example. So many things are "choose from this dropdown menu." The reason these are always a bad idea is because if your info is missing from the dropdown menu, you're out of luck! Such as my case here. They wanted me to choose what neighborhood my apartment was in, but it's not listed in the menu. So the best you can do is choose the one closest to it. But when people ask about the apartment and you tell them it's actually not as close as they assumed it was, they get mad at YOU! When they should be mad at Trulia for being such a broken mess of a website! So many things are based on the pre-selected dropdown menu list, as well! You're SOL if what you want isn't on that list, and so many things are likely to not be on their dropdown menu list, like your neighborhood, type of housing, or even city name.

5) Other features on the site are broken and don't work. You can put "no smoking," "electric separate," "water included," "no pets," and other things, and it will still always default to the first thing in the menu. Essentially, you can change the amenities and features section on the ads!

6) Customer service is non-existent. I contacted them through email three days into having the ad run to tell them about all these broken and glitchy features and literally no one ever got back to me. They try to hide their actual customer service phone number and don't make it public, but I found it on GetHuman. Turns out,t hey deactivated that as well. So there is literally no way to get in contact with a human agent for the company based on what they give you. To at least tell them about the 1,0001 broken bugs and glitches on their awful website!

7) Trulia automatically links all your posts to their sister sites, including Hotpads without your permission! Yet ironically, your account isn't linked to these sites either. So to deactivate them over there, you'd have to sign up for Hotpads and their sister sites, too! However, the main problem is, them not even ASKING you to link them to these other, lower-quality sister sites, as well! Some of the worst people I had contact me were from Hotpads.

8) Trulia's log-in system is awful. They allow you, like other sites, to create an email log in, and log in with Facebook or Google. Yet none of these various log in methods will be linked to you! NO other site works like this! They sync all your methods of log in to one account. But here, logging in with Google makes a complete SEPERATE account than your email log in. Same with Facebook. This wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't constantly spam you to log in with Facebook or Google (to sell your data, most likely). And yet, when you finally do give in and log into the system via Google or Facebook, it makes a NEW account and completely separates you from your "real" email log in account! This is stupid beyond words!

These are just the major problems that come to mind. There are dozens of other more minor issues in the site, as well. It clearly was not programmed to be user friendly, or even tested. The number of bugs and issues on the site are insane! And as I said, this isn't even getting into their shady business practices. This is just fromt he experience of a user who has used the site for three weeks and who's life has been made SOLELY due to how broken and buggy the website is. I have people calling me at 3am, and other random strangers bothering me at all times of the day; people who are highly unfit to live in the apartment, because the site decided to make your info public without your permission and is too broken to have basic features like Contact Method and Photo Gallery work correctly. I legitimately, 100% wish whoever programmed this piss-porr website would be fired. This is unexcusable and I wish I never signed up for this horrible company's broken mess of a website.

carolk204
11/27/18

They only list high priced rentals that only people with a lot of money can afford...it doesn't matter what you type type in as your limit for rent. Don't bother...

victoriak72
10/12/18

I purchased my home in 2002 and have been living in the same house since then. I recently decided to look up previous sales on my home and came across an erroneous sale on my home in 2011 on Trulia and Zillow. I contacted both Zillow and Trulia, and Zillow immediately took down the sale after checking with our local county records. Trulia, well that was a very different experience. I was told by Trulia customer service that "these pieces of data are collected and aggregated by these third party data providers through bulk batches containing millions of data points at one time." They don't enter, edit or update any of the information on their site nor do they know who these third party data providers are. This is scary because anyone can enter a bogus sale for your home or mistakenly apply a real sale to the wrong house on some site, and it could appear on Trulia. The sad news is that you can't ever fix it because Trulia can't track where the data comes from. The sale could be less than half of what your house is worth and bring down your home's and neighborhood's value - which is what happened to us. Now, they cannot remove this fictitious sale on my house. This site should be taken down until they get their house in order. They are sharing information that is readily available to the public about private properties and their data should be pristine. They should absolutely know where their data comes from, be able to track the source of every data element on their site, and have a process for removing inaccurate information ASAP.
I would urge all property owners to check your property's information on Trulia to ensure you don't run into issues when selling or refinancing your home.

caitlyns13
8/30/18

I only used this a few times and when I say a few times it was only for looking. I attempted to rent a place from them, to find out later it was a huge scam - thankfully I did not give any money or information to this person and I alerted the realtor's right away. I haven't used it since because it lost my trust. I can't give it a one star though since it does seem to have useful information and it's easy to navigate. I would personally recommend Zillow.com or Relator.com, but if you do decide to use this site, be careful with your information.

js460
8/8/18

I was able to find a house through Trulia and find a real estate agent as well. However, a lot of the houses in the area that were already bought are still listed and the status is not changed online, which makes this difficult. It was accurate for some areas and not others.

alishac24
7/25/18

I have seen many houses on this app for rent or for sale that are just down right disgusting. Slum lords use this app to get good renters. I feel like this is just a scam.

janetc15
7/22/18

Trulia should take down fake/spam listings. I've responded to so many apartment ads I found and they're either bots or shady brokers that use bait-and-switch or claim the unit isn't available anymore. It's shocking that after making an attempt to report these fakes, this company still allows postings of units that don't even exist. I shared contact and personal information with strangers for nothing.

joelv35
7/12/18

We've encountered a very patient and courteous employee of Elbe Realty. We are very pleased with how she dealt with us in a very elegant matter. Excellent job.

mayraa14
6/20/18

I've been looking for an apartment for months. I find all these great rentals on Trulia but when it comes to actually getting a call back or viewing it it never falls through. They either don't pick up, don't call you back or say that apartment isn't available. Wtf why are you putting it up there then. These people are effing idiots.

simerpreetk1
4/30/18

Trulia is useless. It's wasting of your time. I should have check the reviews before I started my search. I have been looking for an apartment for a year. The managing company don't answer your call or reply to you email. Don't use it and waste you time.

ernestor12
3/20/18

We used Trulia to help purchase a coastal home. Our realtor Debbie O'Donnell works for Exit Realty and had been working with us for two years. She is Awesome and has become a true friend to us. We knew we could count on her whenever we needed to view homes that we located on Trulia with just a text msg to her.
We live in San Antonio and trying to find a Coastal home almost 200miles away would not have been possible without her.
If you are looking for a home in Corpus Christi, TX please look her up.

adriennea4
3/13/18

Everything goes well and we were cost $120 and highly satisfied. The staffs are very professional to deal with.

johnj462
3/6/18

99% of the notifications they send do not meet search criteria that I put in the filter selections that I when I started looking for a home.

peterb279
3/5/18

Warning: DO NOT USE TRULIA To "Request Info with 1-Click"

Trulia is aiding and abetting fraud by allowing unknown, unverified "agents" to post false listings and collect information on users for scamming purposes. I was recently a victim of a sophisticated scam operation from through a direct email from someone I believed to be a home owner on Trulia. I request info on the listing and the person contacted me with a very sophisticated scam. I was stupid enough to trust this person but it was mainly because it was listed on Trulia and Trulia provided no warnings of such behavior, not even in their terms of use.

In addition, I was "requesting info" on the property. This does not equate to sharing information with an unidentifiable scammer in another country. This is extremely misleading and dangerous. This is a complete breach of privacy as I did not give Trulia to send my info to someone who they cannot vouch for or even provide information on after the fact.

Trulia refuses to provide the information on person who received my contact information (name, email phone number). This policy is extremely one-sided and dangerous. They are allowing scammers by the troves to hide behind their service. They have no reason not to share the information of both parties exchanging information, especially in the case of fraud.

This is a warning to everyone - there is no reason to trust Trulia in any way, especially with their Request Info feature. Do NOT USE THIS. If anything, call the agent directly before providing your information through this feature.

stephanies265
2/19/18

I applied for a home with Trulia who stated it was still available so after I pay $60 twice for the application fee( and they make you pay $60 per each adult) so after paying $120 all of a sudden the house I was interested in suddenly had a completed application from another client and was off the market so I couldnt find any other homes at the time that I liked so I asked for a refund and they said it was non refundable. Dont waste your time or money with these people! Rip off!

mb280
M B.
2/16/18

I went to an address today that I was given to rent a room and the address DID NOT EXIST! There may be scammers on this site, although it seems a lot of ads are legitimate. Just be careful and ask a lot of questions.

cliffc17
1/3/18

I received a totally fake, negative review from a bogus individual. Trulia's profile is completely inaccurate and over 5 years out of date. Over forty years sterling experience as a Realtor with over two thousand transactions. Never had a review, letter or any comments like are shown on Trulia. Trulia can't be contacted by phone, unless you pay fees. They haven't responded to numerous email requests to update or correct

lb139
11/27/17

For the past week when I click on any property in the two to three daily emails I receive from Trulia, nothing happens. A small green "dot" spins and spins and the pics of whatever property never materialize. Time to try another website.

miker295
11/12/17

I have been looking for a retirement home out of state for almost two years. I had mistakenly put my trust in trulia that they were giving me honest and truthful representation of properties and the communities they list on their sight.
I checked neighborhoods, population, crime rates, and housing prices
we bought a home in Oregon, small town, almost no crime "according to trulia"
moderate climate, after a short time we started talking to the locals and found out that burglary was rampant due to the fact that Oregon has a major Heroin Epidemic that has infested the north west. not only is burglary common but so is armed robbery, assault muggings,murder and car jacking is on the rise. the crime rate here is much worse than in the big cities of Kalifornia when compared with the population. ( our area has the second highest crime rate per capita in Oregon!!!!
the information on trulia out right lied about theses conditions on their home listings
so we moved from a big city, into a small town with a crime rate that is as bad as any big city getto.
moral to my story: always check your home listings with out side sources, because trulia lies on their listings.

bres11
9/23/17

I went to a few places that I got off this website and the houses weren't for rent they had people living in the houses that said were for rent

taraw53
9/21/17

Unreal to acquire about an apartment and get no response other than text asking to connect at a certain time. Then there is no call. Also I was asked to give personal information over text without speaking to a person. This is not how you do business. Do NOT use this app and have them remove your name from your email or they will continue to send notifications. People renting these apartments and houses should really check their information before they use this site. SCAM!!!!

ericai2
8/23/17

Emailed inquires for several apartments. Real Estate agents never got back to me. Called up the real estate agent, Theresa Bruno ,personally. Her daughter picked up said an agent will call me the next day before 10 am. I never received a call and I called back left a mesage never got the phone call either. I have an emotional support dog for my child which housing is not allowed to deny by law she basically shut me down and said she had nothing available which on the site clearly showed several apartments for the range I was looking for. Her broker fee is 10% of your yearly rent which is ridiculous. I would never refer anyone to this site. Also some of the apartments have the wrong priceing. Truly Horrible is what they should name this site. It doesn't deserve any stars

joshc82
7/26/17

Ive been trying to use both Trulia and Zillow to find a rental property and if you are lucky enough to actually get a response for the person you are trying to rent from good luck actually getting a showing. I have now drove an hour and half 5 times to find a new place to live where my new job is located. Every showing I have been lucky enough to actually schedule has now been canceled on me that day sometimes only 30 mins prior to the showing this is ridiculous I would love for someone to actually pay me back foe waisting my time, energy and not to meant the crazy amount of gas Ive had to put in my car to try and make it to these showing's. No one that uses these site to rent out properties has any respect for anyone. good luck to any one who goes to there sites with hopes of actually trying to find something to rent.

35 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Remember these are SALES staff, they will lie to get your business and they couldn't care less what happens after they get their commission. Do NOT fall for Trulia's lies to Realtors- learn from my very expensive mistake! You will get nothing except poorer.

By Karyn M.

Anyone who owns a house or apartment will entrust a friend or management company with the responsibility of managing the property before going out of town for an extended period. If someone claims to own or manage the place but cannot grant you a walk-through viewing of a place (not just pictures sent through email--anyone can do that--they must legally own a copy of the key) and FOR FREE, then it is a scam. I agree with Julie. Do not use sites like Trulia to try to find a rental. They do not verify 'property managers' and most of the rentals you will find on Trulia are scams.I found my apartment by contacting well established local realty management companies. The apartment I chose is owned by a company that was recommended to me by a friend. Never ever send money. If it's a legitimate owner/manager/leaser, all transactions will happen in person.

By Carol J.

They won't delete your email but you can block them from sending it to you. Just click that it's spam email and it will go to your spam site.

By Karyn M.

Questions? Get answers from the Trulia staff and other customers.

Trulia?