The College Wizard

The College Wizard has a consumer rating of 4.95 stars from 66 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. The College Wizard also ranks 3rd among Tutor sites.

Special offer from The College Wizard
Schedule A Free Skype Mini-Lesson
Contact Us Gain trust and grow your business with customer reviews

• It's hard to imagine any other SAT service as good as Harvey.
  • I must admit that when I first read Mr. Harveys website about the perfect SAT score, I was a bit skeptical.

• His Skype lessons are unreliable and he constantly disconnects.
How would you rate The College Wizard?

“Made Dean's List! Checking in from Cornell University”

Robert G.
1/24/20

Just giving a quick update guys! Following my first semester at Cornell University, I am proud to say that I have achieved Dean's List for my performance in my first semester courses. I have maintained contact with Harvey throughout this entire experience: periodic check ins and discussions with regards to my course load, schedule building, and casual conversations about my current topics of study. I can say that I would not have achieved Dean's List without him. His continuing support and guidance extends far past SAT and ACT exams, and the college application process. Additionally, Harvey has assisted me with my resume which has been crucial in finding job opportunities and internships for the summer. Harvey is the man!

“Lackluster, waste of money”

Brandon N.
12/26/15

All Harvey does is force you into practicing SAT (which is why people have been seeing results) and give you gimmicky, cheesy tips such as "picking the shortest answer". His Skype lessons are unreliable and he constantly disconnects. The only thing he did was go over my wrong answers, and waited for me to fix the answer on my own. Under Harvey, I was advised to not guess and skip the questions I did not know. I ended up with an 1830. I decided to stop going to him for lessons and self-study. Please do this instead of wasting $2400. Self-studying is the same as his lessons, if not much more better--Harvey is utterly useless. I ended up with a 33 ACT and 2110 SAT in the end, without his help. Waste of money. UPDATE: After reading your response, Harvey, I have to admit that you're a class act--buttering up this negative review to somehow make it seem like a success story. Funny point there about my internet connection. I love it. I've had numerous Skype videos with others and they were flawless, unlike yours. But you can blame it on me, that's perfectly okay. I'm fine with that. I'm just glad I'm not suffering through your meaningless lessons anymore. Also, a tip for the future: you should provide some form of evidence for your ballsy claims-- I am appalled that from your "years of analysis', you have gone through every SAT question and analyzed every single response to conclude that when students guess, they get it wrong "over 90% of the time". I'm also appalled at your ability to mind-read. How else you would know if a student is completely guessing, or simply calculating an incorrect answer?! Amazing! Another tip: You should stop wearing a dirty white T-shirt during lessons. Try to be a little more professional. I wish you the best of luck in your excuse of a business. I hope more parents are eager to waste their money on you. Happy New Years.

harvey (66) sat score (21) dream school (4) skype lessons (4) act score (5) college essays (3) internet search (3)
robertg755
January 24th, 2020
• Updated review
HARVEY IS THE CORNELL WIZARD
December 11th, 2018
• Previous review
Last night I was accepted Early Decision to Cornell, my dream school. For two years Harvey has always inspired me. I got 1520 on my first and only SAT because of Harvey. He helped me with my college application and my extracurricular work at the Columbia Neuroscience Lab and starting my own magazine. Harvey won't stop until you get into your school. He wants the best for you. Only thing he asks for is your hard work, if you're not going to put your heart into it, don't expect my results. My first PSAT was 1290 as a Sophomore and I achieved a 1520 with Harvey guiding me. I am a member of the Cornell Class of 2023. Thanks Harvey!

From A Grateful Student,
Rob G

Tip for consumers: Worth every ounce of sweat if you want to get into your college of choice.

nihaarg
April 21st, 2020
Verified purchase
I am quite excited to inform to be attending Carnegie Mellon University in the fall to study Business with a minor in Computer Science and Statistics thanks to Harvey's help. Thanks to his help, I have reached my full potential over the past 2 years. The SAT & ACT help was really helpful, and make a test that felt subjective, feel objective. Furthermore, I appreciate how he guided me through the college essay and the development of the business website process for my financial education platform. I really was able to understand how to sell myself to the colleges, and I think it helped me excel in my college interviews.
paolab23
December 12th, 2019
Verified purchase
My son's PSAT score sophomore year was a 990. After working with Harvey for just a little over 2 months, his score improved to a 1220. I highly recommend this class because the method works. My son is motivated and has practiced taking multiple tests, which has increased his self confidence. Harvey is a wonderful teacher and mentor!
kevint431
November 11th, 2019
Just wanted to congratulate my son Justin for achieving a 1600 SAT with Harvey's help. If your son or daughter has the ability, grit and determination, Harvey's system can definitely make perfect scores happen.
peterr335
March 4th, 2019
My wife and I were a bit incredulous when Harvey suggested that with enough practice our daughter could bring up her 1270 SAT score to over 1500. (We would have been more than satisfied with 1400.) But Harvey's method is so unique, and he motivated Jessica to such an extent, that after three tries and over almost a year, she scored a perfect 1600. Harvey has made us believers!
gabrielt17
April 11th, 2018
Verified purchase
After nearly 4 years of being Harvey's student, I can personally affirm that his absolute devotion to his work is unparalleled. He has accompanied me from a mere high school freshman all the way to a Stanford freshman. Harvey has assisted me not only dramatically increase my SAT score by 270 points, but also with revising college essays that directly helped me be admitted to the university of my dreams. Dreams do come true, especially with Harvey's help.
less75
August 12th, 2019
Verified purchase
Our daughter started lessons with Harvey during her sophomore year and after one year of consistent lessons, she was able to achieve not only a 1530 SAT score but a perfect 36 ACT. We are so proud of our daughter and so grateful to Harvey for his persistence and encouragement. He is unique-he really cares,
davidr1427
August 6th, 2019
Harvey knows exactly what it takes to get your child to the best possible SAT score. After going through the process, it became clear to us why his unlimited lesson program is so valuable. My daughter started with Harvey after getting back her 10th grade PSAT (1270) and being upset with such a low score compared to her 4.5 GPA. Harvey explained that it is typically a long process to achieve significant score gain, and now, over a year later, we have experienced the benefits of Harvey's long-term approach. After 3 attempts, my daughter is so proud of her 1540 score!
rogerg55
March 27th, 2018
My son Robert took the SAT for the first time in March of 2018 and he scored a 1520. Yes Robert scored a 1520 on his first SAT exam. Without a doubt Harvey's system works. Harvey work's endless hours, responsive, supportive, and he truly wants the best for his students, preparing them to master the SAT. If your child follow's his insightful rules and studies hard, he or she will do amazing. My son is a Junior and we saved a lot of money working with Harvey and Robert will now be able to enjoy his summer. I give my highest recommendation to "THE COLLEGE WIZARD", Sincerely Roger Greenberg.
donnas548
November 2nd, 2018
It's hard to imagine any other SAT service as good as Harvey. His expertise, professionalism, enthusiasm and deep knowledge of both the SAT test and the college admissions process brought Taylor's SAT up 370 points to 1540 and also was instrumental in her submitting such a strong application that she was accepted to both U. Penn and Tufts, as well as 12 other schools.
brandonn6
December 26th, 2015

Happy New Years.
harveyw14
Harvey W. – The College Wizard Rep
Brandon, you may be surprised to learn two things. First, I congratulate you and I am thrilled that you achieved 2110 on your SAT and 33 on your ACT. I am happy when a student achieves significantly higher SAT and ACT scores with or without my help.

Second, I have to consider you one of my success stories. When you began working with me in October 2014, your initial SAT score was only 1620. You completed the first four lessons with me, during which time I taught you all the strategies needed to achieve a perfect SAT and ACT score. You seem to credit me with your initial jump to 1830 (210) points but not your eventual score of 2110. Evidently you still remember my writing strategy: Choose the shortest answer as long as it does not contain one of nine grammatical errors. I suppose we simply differ on the characterization of my strategies. While I consider my techniques powerful because they all fit on a single page (which is why I am able to teach them all in the first four lessons), ridiculously simple, easy to remember and yet 100% effective, you call them “gimmicky and cheesy”.

I will be the first to admit that enough self-practice in and of itself can produce almost any score desired. Unfortunately, self-practice without any outside guidance can require many more hours to achieve success than practice following guidelines that an expert has spent years developing and refining. Since most of my students are somewhat overburdened with school work and extracurricular activities, they would prefer not having to “reinvent the wheel” if I can simply direct them to practice in the most efficient way possible.

Assuming that you achieved your final 2110 SAT score relatively recently, it would mean you took 14 months to go from 1620 to 2110. I believe you might have achieved that score somewhat more quickly had you taken advantage of ongoing lessons with me. It would have given me a chance to teach you that a phrase like “much more better” which you used in your review is grammatically incorrect.

To clarify your claim that I taught you “not to guess and skip questions you do not know”, it is true I have advised students preparing for the old SAT to avoid guessing. The reason for this strategy is that the old SAT incorporates a guessing penalty for each wrong answer. And while probability theory might suggest that guessing is a good idea, my own years of analysis demonstrated that because the SAT creates wrong answers to be more attractive than correct ones, students will choose the wrong answer – even in a 50/50 situation – over 90% of the time. But since the new SAT no longer has a guessing penalty, this issue is no longer relevant.

I checked back on our chat logs relative to the “constant disconnecting” you refer to. First, while I do see a handful of starts and stops in our Skype sessions, I don’t know that I would call them “constant”. Second, while I do have the highest commercially available internet speed in my office, the overall quality of a Skype call can be diminished by slower internet speed on the other end.

I try to use any feedback I receive to improve the quality of my service. I know that your parents did not take advantage of my initial Skype lesson, which would have been an opportunity for you to get an idea of the kind of strategies I teach (and therefore whether or not you felt they were “cheesy”) as well as the quality of Skype calls we could have given your home’s internet speed. As a result of your feedback, I plan to be even more adamant about having new clients take advantage of my free Skype lesson prior to signing up to work with me.

I wish you all the best as you await your college acceptances.
kenj127
November 3rd, 2018
Verified purchase
Now that my daughter is safely admitted to her dream school (Brown), as I reflect back on our journey through the college admissions process, I really have to thank Harvey for telling us things that nobody else did. It took my daughter longer than other tutoring companies had suggested for her to hit her ultimate score (1560) and Harvey was right on about this, as well as the fact that the 5 SAT tries she took did not prevent her from getting accepted when nobody else from her school was. Clearly, the SAT is the most important component of admissions, despite what we were told on college tours. I highly recommend that you work with Harvey if you need a true and honest expert to help you navigate what can certainly be a very stressful process.
caroly33
May 27th, 2018
I think it is common knowledge how insanely competitive getting accepted to an Ivy is these days. You really need someone like Harvey to help navigate the process. We were actually a little bit skeptical initially, because Harveys package price seemed to inexpensive for everything he is offering. But he is an exceptionally bright, compassionate and dedicated person. He first helped Liam go up from 1290 to 1520 on his SAT. Then Harvey helped him set up a unique charity. And finally, he spent a lot of time making sure all of Liams college application essays were as good as they could be. I recommend Harvey to any family with Ivy League dreams.
roseh106
July 30th, 2018
With so many options for SAT and ACT prep, it can be nerve wracking for parents trying to choose the best option for their child. Based on our experience, Harvey The College Wizard is a premium priced service that delivers above and beyond what you pay. We were immediately impressed by Harvey's extensive knowledge of the testing process, as well as his obvious passion for teaching. We didn't have particularly high expectations at the beginning, which is why we were so pleasantly surprised when our daughter went up 320 points after only about 8 lessons. Harvey's system is definitely unique, and based on what we have observed first hand, worth every penny.
justint76
February 1st, 2018
Harvey, I honestly dont think I would have gotten accepted early decision to Brown, my dream school, without your help. You not only taught me the tricks to get my SAT score up to 1560, but you also helped me start my own business which I really think made me stand out to the admissions officers. Thank you so very much!
paulh723
June 4th, 2019
In a world when services too often underwhelm, Harvey the College Wizard absolutely overwhelmed us with the quality of his work. Let's start with the results he helped our daughter Katy achieve: 1550 SAT (up from 1290 when we started working with Harvey) and, more important, admission to Duke, her first choice school. We found Harvey during an internet search for an SAT tutor, but what we got was not only IMHO probably the best SAT tutor in the country, but also a genius marketer with a keen and precise understanding of what college admissions officers are looking for, all at a fraction of the price we would have paid for an SAT tutor plus a college admissions counselor of Harvey's caliber. Any parent who really wants the best for his or her child would be a fool not to sign up with Harvey (assuming he has space available for you). Bravo!
karens766
September 30th, 2018
After a disastrous experience with Huntington Learning Centers, Harvey was an absolute godsend for us. Instead of offering basically useless review, Harvey taught our daughter how to master the SAT itself. And the results were spectacular: a gain of 280 points from 1230 to 1510 in three months.
christians117
June 20th, 2018
Thanks to Harvey, I have achieved my lifelong goal of being admitted to Yale. Its hard to express how much I appreciate the amazing tricks he taught me that boosted my SAT score to a 1560 and my ACT to 36 (in a matter of months) as well as his guidance in setting up a non-profit that I am sure positioned me for acceptance.
elainec135
August 31st, 2018
We are so proud of our daughter, Betsy, who, with Harvey's remarkable assistance, not only raised her SAT score from 1250 to 1520, but also put together a stellar application package that led to her acceptance to Swarthmore.
sheilar48
December 8th, 2017
With a score increase from 1130 to 1380, we definitely got our moneys worth working with Harvey. But I really feel that more important than the score increase is the boost to my daughters confidence. I was really impressed with how compassionate and careful Harvey was with my daughter, who is a bit shy, and how much he patiently worked with her. I have to credit Harvey with a marvelous increase in her confidence, not just related to SAT, but overall.
barryf15
June 13th, 2016
We were somewhat nervous about finding a tutor comfortable with the New SAT format, but Harvey assured us that his methods would work equally well on the New SAT and the ACT. We began by being amazed when our son Justin went from 31 to 36 on his April ACT. But when he got his March SAT results back only to discover a perfect 1600 as well, we all fell off our chairs. Harvey truly is a wizard and any student who gets a chance to work with him should consider himself extremely lucky.
mattl69
February 17th, 2017
Nicole has always been an excellent student but a poor test taker. We were worried that so many of the standard test prep companies like Testmasters and Kaplan would not be able to address her specific issues, because we felt that Nicole really just needed someone to guide her in how to take the test. Thats exactly what Harvey did. Nicole got really motivated and excited right from her first meeting with him. She was inspired to practice diligently. After four months of working with Harvey, Nicole saw her score go from 1250 to 1480.
georgeb221
August 24th, 2017
Harvey has devised brilliant strategies that transformed my daughters SAT score from 1230 to 1510. Harvey gave Bella a phenomenal boost to her confidence. We cant recommend him highly enough.
rogers212
July 12th, 2017
In my humble opinion, Harvey provides the highest quality, most comprehensive tutoring/counseling service available, at an extremely fair price. My assessment is based on having utilized a number of other services for my two older children, and having spent far more money with much less pleasing results. But with my youngest daughter, we were lucky enough to discover Harvey over the internet and so contracted his services. We were immediately impressed with Harveys skill as a teacher, as well as his broad knowledge about everything related to the admissions process. Always available to answer questions during the two years he worked with us, Harvey was instrumental in keeping our whole family calm and focused. His guidance relative to writing college essays was invaluable. In terms of results, with Harveys help Sonya achieved a near perfect 1570 on her SAT and getting accepted to Princeton was the cherry on the top.
mariah204
August 23rd, 2016
Harvey, just wanted to say thank you for everything you have done to help Nicole fulfill her dream of getting accepted to Columbia. When we first contacted you and Nicole was so discouraged over her 27 ACT score, you calmed us all down and gave us a lot of hope. We couldnt believe our eyes when we saw her nearly perfect 35 ACT just three months later. Then, your help with the application process and reviewing Nicoles essays I am sure helped make the difference. Keep on doing what you do!

My program is designed as a comprehensive system to give a student the best possible chance of being accepted to top tier colleges. Currently, the fee is $7800, but I have been forced to raise my fee periodically due to strong demand, and I may be raising it again soon.

By Harvey W., Owner

While most clients do pay the full $2400 up front, I can also split the payment into $1200 upfront and #1200 after 30 days, or three payments of $800 upfront, $800 after 30 days and the final $800 after 60 days.

By Harvey W., Owner

Not currently, but I have worked with students from Danville in the past.

By Harvey W., Owner

Feel free to call me any time at 888-873-4399 to discuss your son's needs in detail.

By Harvey W., Owner

Please call me directly at 888-873-4399 to discuss your son's needs in detail.

By Harvey W., Owner

I tutor ACT as well as SAT, using a single set of unique strategies that apply with equal validity to both tests. My fee covers unlimited lessons for both SAT and ACT, as well as college admissions counseling and college essay assistance.

By Harvey W., Owner

I carefully choose the students that I work with. Unfortunately, I am forced to turn away about 3-4 students for every student I accept. But that ensures that the roughly 15 students per week I do work with have easy access to me. And since I generally make myself available to my students from 4PM-11PM (eastern time) on Sunday through Friday as well as 9AM-2PM (eastern time) on Saturday, there is a great deal of flexibility.

By Harvey W., Owner

Currently, I am the only one tutoring students in my program.

By Harvey W., Owner

There is no limit on the number of lessons for $2400. Lessons continue until the desired score is achieved. Each lesson lasts up to one hour.

By Harvey W., Owner

The tutoring is done live, one-on-one, via Skype.

By Harvey W., Owner

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the The College Wizard staff and other customers.

Harvey The College Wizard tutors SAT and ACT via Skype using a unique method that guarantees perfect scores when followed.

harveyw14
Harvey W.
Owner
SAT Tutoring is a labor of love for me, something I have done for most of my adult life. Even as I was creating and running a series of other businesses, I always set time aside each year to tutor the children of relatives and friends.

Now I am able to combine my years of SAT tutoring with my experience as a Dartmouth District Enrollment Director, marketing consultant and entrepreneur toward guiding students and their families through the college admissions process.

I take my insider knowledge of how admissions officers think, gained during my work for Dartmouth, then add the same marketing instincts that helped me to create a series of multi-million dollar businesses, and try to create such a compelling, unique story for your son or daughter that admissions officers can't help but say,"YES!"

Having graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Dartmouth and having achieved near perfect SAT scores myself, I utilize a unique SAT tutoring system developed and perfected over the last 30 years.

I am proud of my internet success – my story is detailed in the New York Times Bestseller Get Rich Click – that allowed my family and me to create an 8,000 square foot orphanage in Mekelle, Ethiopia.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The College Wizard?

Have a question about The College Wizard?