Review of TeenSafe

privacy@teensafe.com

9 reviews with 2 stars

bonniew53
9/8/17

I read a response that if you were an Android user, you would be extremely happy. I AM NOT EXTREMELY HAPPY! I'm an android user as well as my daughter and I specifically downloaded and paying $14.95/month to be able to monitor calls, text, location, web history and 3rd party app messages. In today's society of a huge digital footprint, as parents, I believe that parents need to monitor very closely to protect their kids. With that being said, the 7 day trial was pretty limited and wanted the full experience. After installing the program, I was happy to see that I was able to see her text messages (yes, even if she tried to delete it) and phone calls. However, that is the extent of it. I wasn't able to view her location, web history (per Teensafe Customer Service, Google changed something and can longer view it) and 3rd party apps like KIK, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, Google Hangout, etc and the messaging there (was told this can be done with it was an Iphone).

For $189 annually, I expect this software to work as advertise, but unfortunately, it does not. I'm very disappointed!! I was told they were developing a new version and when asked the ETA of the rollout, they didn't know.

Very poor and deceiving way to get people to purchase.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Greetings Bonnie,

We understand why you’re frustrated. Our goal is to deliver the best monitoring tool parents can use to keep their teens and tweens safe. Unfortunately, Apple, Google and others do not make this easy. When they change their operating systems at times certain features are compromised. Our development team works very hard to add these features back to our service offering.

TeenSafe was founded after a successful midnight mission by our founder to recover his daughter’s deleted texts finding that she was being viscously cyberbullied. We felt strongly that other parents would want this same capability.

We’ve logged millions of successful transactions over the years and our software is highly functional but not always as what we do is very difficult. We have many parents who are grateful for what we do provide.

As an FYI, you can view sent and received messages for WhatsApp and Kik. You call also view, block and schedule all third-party apps installed on their phone. No third-party can monitor these apps unless they “jailbreak” the phone which we do not recommend.

Also, I apologize for the late response. I am located in Irma's path and was watching her trajectory and missed that your review came in.

Again, sorry your experience was frustrating as we totally agree with you that parents should engage in protective monitoring. Best, the TeenSafe Team
heatherz10
7/5/17

Wanted to give 5 Stars. I have used this app for years and really have loved it. Some quirks but it was overall good! But now...every time I go on there, we get locked out and password has to be changed. My daughter gets frustrated as a teen that this keeps happening...and so am I! So now I don't go on there. Reason I got the app to begin with was to monitor! I Can't! Still paying and hoping it gets fixed so I don't have to cancel. I know it's a issue with Apple, but hey most of us have Apple so something needs to be done and quick!!

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Thanks for letting us hear from you so we can respond that there is hope. Our highly experienced engineering team has been working relentlessly on this and are confident they’ve discovered a workaround to the industry-wide iCloud lockout issue affecting our subscribers. However, writing the code, debugging and Q&A testing will take time. Can’t give an exact date but the team feels a resolution will be rolled out. Thank you for your patience as we’d love that 5-star review once resolved! Best, the TeenSafe team
bradj35
6/27/17

As many have mentioned the account will get locked out. To get around it I only check texts once a month then reset the account. I realize much of this is on apple. My issue now is the data is really behind..almost a month. Hopefully this stuff gets fixed soon or it simply won't be worth it.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Brad, thank you so much for your patience and please know we are working daily to resolve. Just wish you had an Android as you'd be a happy customer. Best, the TeenSafe team
chrisr214
3/8/17

You only get all of the updates from your kid's iphone at night, when its charging, and there is nothing else going on. THis is entirely useless for what parents need it for. We need to know information now. If I had 24 hrs where I could trust my kid, I would not be using software like this at all.

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Chris,

We understand this issue for you. Android and Apple’s operating systems are very different. TeenSafe on Android updates all the time. There are limitations from Apple’s iOS that we wish weren’t there. The monitoring still helps parents with insights to manage through the digital safety minefields. Best, the TeenSafe team
stephanieb124
1/3/17

I took an hour out of my day and installed this app on both of my teens phones. I saw text messages and was able to see deleted texts and even block apps. However, the positive reviews on here have to be their employees making things up. I also wanted this app to restrict time and pause while my daughter is driving. When I couldn't find a tab to access these controls, I sent an email, and guess what " we're sorry, we have not completely gotten the functions up and running yet". Disappointing!! Uninstalled and cancelled my subscription after two hours!

Response from Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Sorry you had an issue. When Apple and Google issue operating system updates our team works very hard to update our software as soon as possible. There are times when this takes longer than we like and some functions are not available. The pause function is currently working but understand your frustration that it wasn’t when you wanted to use it. Best, the TeenSafe Team
jamesb461
12/14/16

Not a good choice..
Too many 3rd party kinks.. in the system..
It's theoretically good.. but.. this is the thing that I have found out..
Using this with an iPhone may not work as well as you think..
All iPhones back up to iCloud..
Yet not all do it every night..
But when it does.. the teensafe will be avail to update..
I have tried teensafe on 2 different iPhones.. and the iPhones did not update everyday automatically.... after a call to apple regarding this issue.. I was informed that the iCloud may not update on a daily basis.. even when you set it up for an automatic update..and this leads to teensafe issues..
You see.. I want to know what's going on with my kids phone use on a daily basis..at least within 24 hours..
Not when the iCloud on their phone updates.. the update may have at least a week interval before an update..And that's too late..
It's not a teensafe fault.. yet teensafe should mention this before you commit to using it..

andrewc141
8/1/16

instagram monitoring does not work, supposedly instagram's fault. Now I can't upload my childs data, Apple's fault. Pretty frustrating. I was hoping this software was the answer but it looks like it may be a bad choice. I would not recommend this company

mylindal
8/20/15

I initially had trouble during my free trial and was able to get support on the phone right away. The problem was I needed to keep my son signed into iCloud. After convincing him, I was able to look at his texts. It was awesome. And then it wasn't.

After a few days went by I could no longer get his texts, even the old ones that I already read. The data update button disappeared. I could locate him though, which wasn't that awesome since he is upstairs in his room.

Not wanting to waste my time with customer support, I remembered what fast service I received when I called before. I begrudgingly got my phone hoping for the same. No such luck this time. I listened to some jazzy tune featuring the Xylophone over and over again while on hold for quite awhile. Bored, I happened upon this review site and read that I was not alone in my frustration.

Save your monthly $15.

njmoml
8/11/15

My 16 year old son is your average teen, smart with the phones, computers, a wise ass and sneaky as all hell, lol. So i told him that this service was for GPS on his phone for his protection, to know his whereabouts in case something happened. My hubby and i work all day, come home at 5pm. my son will promise he's here when he's really there with his best buddy who's 18 and already drives a car (god only knows where THERE is). plus he's dating a girl that i don't know and that could be trouble in itself. we talk to him about ALL and EVERY kind of danger there is, literally we talk often but not all at once about bullying, sex, sexting, alcohol, drugs, drug dealing, pregnancy, abortion, rape, shop lifting and any other crimes as well as driving carefully on the road while in his friend's car. I'm a paranoid mother and i'm a Christian as well so I throw in the bible verses too to try to keep him grounded. But of course, he's a typical teen boy that happens to have borderline ADHD so he lies and hides things from me. I wanted to see where he goes throughout the day and unfortunately this service does not give me specific and accurate details about the addresses. It was hard to get the appleid password from him to begin with but i did and then i did the whole icloud backup more than once but information still wouldn't come through with really updated information. I was able to see initially some texts between him and the girl and found out he went into her house for ten minutes without her parents there. Trouble!! From the texts messages I can tell the girl was even scared to talk about him coming to her house. So i took advantage of that scenario and a week later I talked to him casually about the girl and told him " if she's a decent girl, respect her and stay out of her panties and stay out of her house if no one is home." The look on his face said it all, he was surprised but played it off with an exasperated "YES, mom." I reiterated with "if her parents come home and find you there what would you do?" Then the kid changed the password and of course i can't get any updated information.Trust me even though i'm paranoid about his whereabouts I'm still not the type to read every single text message and i wasn't looking to get into his IG, FB, Kik, Twitter, etc..But having his contact list would have been good and once a month i would have checked to make sure he wasn't lying about his whereabouts or the girl. But this service lacks a lot. And for parents like myself that are not computer/phone savvy it's no good, it's exhausting trying to figure it all out even with instructions and help and i'm an intelligent person. I will rely on my faith and my talks with my son to try and keep him on track and hope it works out. This is after all a phase and my son is not a bad kid, he's never gotten in trouble with the law, he's just a curious teenager, but I rather deal with a little bit of my own angst than to not have my son safe at home at the end of the day, everything else I can eventually deal with.

They have to backup to iCloud. If they aren't on wifi and plugged in at some point then it won't backup. No backup means no data. If that happens we just go to the phone and force a backup and it will get you all the latest data.

By Stephen M.

Not a hoax...just of very limited use in my opinion. If all you want to do is watch text messages than i guess it's ok....but only if the phone backs up to the cloud. Really isnt very valuable. I had it for less than a week and it was pretty pointless really.

By Brian K.

Yeah, sorry but I don't have/use Snapchat so I don't know - apparently not. Sorry again.

By DJ S.

Nothing gets installed on your phone. Therefore, there is nothing to remove. Change your Apple ID password and the passwords for your social media accounts. Unless you gave this person all of your passwords, there isn't a way for them to spy on you with Teensafe.

By Kevin P.

Yes, the carrier you use doesn't matter. Here is some more information https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/ Thanks for the inquiry.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Sorry you are having an issue, our support team can answer these questions. Please reach out to our customer support team to help you. You can call (800)245-8598 or email support@teensafe.com.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Greetings Heather. Hope this answers your questions. If not please ask here. https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Yes, we do work in Canada. This may have useful information for you https://www.teensafe.com/blog/faq-everything-need-know-install-teensafe-childs-phone/

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

The tech team says this all depends on the number of text messages sent, time, period between iCloud being shut off etc. and depends on how Apple iCloud works. If said messages are saved in the backup then yes. We can't guarantee this if turned off. So it is best to leave the iCloud backup on.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative

Hmmm, not sure Steve. Sorry you are having an issue. Please reach out to our customer support team to help you. You can call (800)245-8598 or email support@teensafe.com. Or send us your email here and can have them look up the account for you.

By Ruth D., TeenSafe Representative
Questions? Get answers from the TeenSafe staff and other customers.

TeenSafe?