Selfridges & Co

Selfridges & Co has a consumer rating of 1.33 stars from 24 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Selfridges & Co most frequently mention customer service problems. Selfridges & Co ranks 73rd among Department Store sites.

No positive highlights yet

• I called up customer service the very next morning to clarify because the item is still available online for purchase.
How would you rate Selfridges & Co?

“Overall great”

Sue C.
6/30/20

I ordered 6 items, and that was my second Time ordered from them, one item was missing I contacted them right away through Facebook, and they relied fast and refunded fast, what happened at those bad reviews didn't happen to me, so I placed my third order right after I got my refunds, anyways, guys, they are legit, their price are much lower than any USA shopping site, and their package are really stunning tbh, just btw they Use DHL express shipping and they ship really really fast, I'm located at New York, always got my stuff the next day I ordered it, and trust me buy the Selfridges Plus GLOBAL shipping on your first order! TRUST ME!

“Dishonest business that puts profit over its customers...”

Andy K.
11/26/20

Read Trustpilot, where they have a rating of 1.8 out of 5 with over 1,400 reviews. We didn't until now and it was too late. Order # 103316167. Called customer service multiple times and e-mailed them 3 times. It was a complete waste of time. It is strange when a store that sells high-end items treats their customers so poorly. I'm from the U.S. and am used to the type of great customer service that Nordstrom or Amazon.com delivers so this is all pretty new to me.

customer service (5)
andyk166
November 26th, 2020

suec484
June 30th, 2020

paulb1857
January 31st, 2020

Bought a pair of boots for my girlfriend for Christmas, she's had them on her feet about 5 times and the one of the metal hoops snapped where the laces go through, phoned Selfridges to organise a swap which should be straight forward but because they were bought online they have to have the boots back for a "product inspection" so my partner is without her boots for a month? Two months? How ever long it takes meanwhile I've still paid for said boots. Not very fair. Won't be shopping with them again.

gabyc10
July 4th, 2020

I bought the luggage then I found it poor quality and too heavy. I returned it immediately. They replied that they don't accept my returned luggage because of not able to resell it in immaculate condition. They said I have used the luggage but how can I use it when I am still confinement. They always pushed you to reply them in 3 days or 24 hours otherwise they will send back my this flawed luggage. I really feel badly...

michellen713
June 30th, 2021
Verified purchase

Ripping off customers during COVID
Hands down the most horrendous experience I have ever had. I purchased a pair of shoes which I've been eyeing for a long time and it took me ages to save up for it. When it arrived, unfortunately it did not fit me - it was too small. I was unable to exchange it for another pair because they were all sold out so I had to return the item for a refund. I then found out I was shortchanged $338.60. When I emailed their customer service team to enquire about it, they refused to refund the $338 which I paid for duties charges even though the goods were returned to them. This has never happened to me with any other overseas retailers before, let alone Selfridges, which is supposed to be a well known department store. All other retailers I've purchased with, big or small, if you return an item, you get a FULL refund of the amount you paid! I have also contacted my local customs office and they advised me that only the ‘owner' of the goods (which in this case is Selfridges since I've already returned the shoes to them) can claim a refund for the taxes & duties. I am unable to claim it myself. I feel robbed. $338 is a lot of money for us ordinary folks, especially during COVID. I am disgusted with the way they handled this and will never purchase from them again. I also paid for a Selfridges+ membership which costed me $70. More money down the drain for no reason.

Tip for consumers:
Avoid them!!

Products used:
Shoes

claudiaw78
May 7th, 2020

Selfridges customer service is horrendous absolutely horrible. These people DO NOT want to help you. You could never get a hold of a supervisor and no one contacts you back. I feel that giving them a 1 star is too generous.

scherellew
June 4th, 2021

Horrible customer service. I don't recommend anyone ever shop here. They refuse to refund my order after it was sent back within the return period unworn. DO NOT SHOP HERE!

sup2
June 23rd, 2018

My online return was processed smoothly and fast, I was nervous having seen all the negative reviews. However I was pleasantly surprised, they responded quickly to all my emails and updated me on where my return was in their store process.
I would definitely shop with them again with full confidence

jennyf179
September 16th, 2021

Ordered a Ted Baker hand bag which broke within 5 uses, contacted Selfridge's, they asked me to send pictures which I did and haven't heard back in 3 months. Do not buy from this company.

karamb
December 2nd, 2020

Ordered a neom oil diffuser with oils on 22nd November. (Took payment from my card in full at the time) By the the 3rd December my oil diffuser had been cancelled by Selfridges with no explanation. Oils had then been dispatched. Why would I need the oils If I can't use them without the diffuser? Was promised a call back by the manager to check stock availability (never happened) wanted this as a Xmas present for my wife but now she will be disappointed. I pay £40 a year for this account. Never have I seen such a incompetent level of service.

jamesp2359
October 2nd, 2020

Absolutely disgusting service, placed an order for three tablets costing nearly £900 only to have my order cancelled the following morning stating I hadn't passed security checks and by pure coincidence the price of each tablet had gone up from £297 to £349. On speaking to a member of customer service they informed me it was not actually anything to do with a security check and that it was Samsung that had cancelled the order and not Selfridges and that they would contact Samsung to find out why and get back to me. Apparently the items are shipped straight from Samsung and they can cancel your order even though your order is placed with Selfridges which is not on. No one got back to me so after 24 hours I contacted customer services again and spoke to a different member off staff to be told a completely different story and that the order was cancelled because it hadn't passed the security check but no actual reason was given and that what her colleague had told me previously was wrong, so basically I've been ignored and lied to and they wont honor the original price. What a circus and I'm sorry I didn't see all the negative reviews before I placed an order with these clowns, the staff at Chicken Cottage have better customer service skills so vote with your wallets and buy elsewhere because the bottom line is that they simply do not care, you have been warned.

lanao17
January 22nd, 2020

I wish I could give the company zero starts! They are absolutely the worst!
While they have some great deals and designers, do not expect to get a refund if an item you order does not fit you. After a month since I returned my order, I finally contacted them and asked about my refund. Oh, well, they do not know what happened to my return!
I returned an item with DHL the day after I received it. The DHL employee picked up a package in person as they always do when I return something I bought on European websites. However, DHL does not usually give me a receipt, which I do not care much about since there is never an issue with their services. So I provided Selfridges employee with a return number from my email confirmation of a pick up. Apparently, Selfridges has no record of my return and they refused to give me a refund. I would at least expect them to contact DHL and find out about what happened because other Selfridges customers could have an issue with their deliveries and returns. Instead I just got an answer that Selfridges does not know what happened and they are not going to refund my purchase!
I advise everyone to spend your money elsewhere! I rather pay more than trust Selfridges ever again!

giom5
December 23rd, 2019

Selfridges has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It is beyond terrible, completely and utterly unprofessional, rude, unhelpful and shocking

ruslr
October 31st, 2019

I've received this bag in a such poor state. It suppose to be a gift for my friend...
Selfridges CS told me I could clean items up and offered me £20 pounds off as a gesture of a good will (Ridiculous). Also not the only problem with leaked Peter Thomas Roth mask, but Rodial mask is missing from the bag. Very bad shopping experience!

Unboxing video is here:

rital7
December 6th, 2018

The WORST customer service I have ever experienced! One month ago I ordered a dress from selfridges.com. Selfridges cancelled the order (as it was out of stock) BUT proceeded to charge me GBP42 for the delivery cost.

Despite numerous emails and complaints, I have yet to receive any refund to date.

Please stay away from these thieves! There are plenty of other reputable retailers both online and offline.

joeyj27
January 20th, 2019

NEVER ORDER FROM SELFRIDGES. EVER.

ONE ITEM WAS MISSING THE PACKAGE AND THEY REFUSE TO GIVE A REFUND. THEY MIGHT AS WELL STEAL YOUR MONEY!

CUSTOMERS SHOULD HAVE HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF PAYING FOR MISSING ITEMS. THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

EVEN AFTER EMAILING AND CALLING THEM THEY REFUSE TO RESEND THE ITEM OR GIVE A REFUND.

THEY STEAL FROM YOU.

AVOID AT ALL COST

I RATHER GIVE TO CHARITY

adih2
October 17th, 2018

I was so surprised and disappointed by the bad costumer service I experienced... I can't believe that this type of large chain could even afford it.
This happened to me twice by now!
My package never got here at all, when I asked what's going on- since it was an urgent shipment, I was passed around between 10 costumer service representatives who "checked" what's going on for over 4 days. They never gave me an answer to why my shipping never arrived even, and offered 10 ponds voucher instead of the package... What?!

emilyk31
September 29th, 2018

Selfridges Just Lost Another Customer! Due to refusal to replace or refund faulty merchandise.
-I purchased a bracelet for $470
-it broke in 5 different places within months of wearing it
-I contacted them about replacing or returning it
-they asked for pictures and gave me the run-around for weeks
-they ultimately refused to take responsibility for the faulty item
-I asked for contact information to supervisor to pursue this issue further which they refused to provide
-I cannot believe they would ruin their reputation, not stand behind their products, and disgust a new customer over $470. I am taking ALL action to pursue this further on my own. DO NOT put yourself at risk by shopping here.

davidb2426
July 30th, 2019

I wish I had read the reviews before
I wish I had read the reviews before ordering from selfridges. My first order and I also paid for the yearly plus delivery. Ordered 2 all saints shirts in medium as I already had one the same in that size which fits OK. But both shirts seemed a little too large so I returned them both after only trying them on. I have received a refund for only one as they are refusing to refund the other saying it has been worn. I never wore it and will be raising a resolution with PayPal who I used to pay. Safe to say first and last time with selfridges, I hope they wish they had treated customers better when they end up going into administration.

gigig14
August 4th, 2017

I would wished I read this site before decided to get something from Selfridge & Co. They sent me incorrect item, sounds like misleading, the product they sent me different with the image list. I contacted them for returning the product immediately. They already received the product back safely. And now i am still waiting for my full refund included Import tax $216.48 & delivery fees $45. Not sure how long I would get it back. And they haven't get back to me. Hope no awful drama from them.

debram105
January 21st, 2018

Selfridges do not even deserve 1 star but it wasnt possible to review without at least 1 star!

I will never shop with this company again after ordering sandals and paying for the product only to be sent a different product as the product I ordered was actually out of stock.

Selfridges and co should never have accepted my order or charged me for the product in the first place.
Instead, I was then expected to return the product(that I did not order) to the post office before I could get a refund (for the product I did not receive) Appalling service - lets see if I ever get the full refund I have requested... I have no confidence in this company whatsoever - I should have read the reviews first!

johnr145
February 29th, 2016

I purchased a coat back in October of 2015 and they sent me the wrong item in the US. I returned it back to them and they told me they had sent me this coat, because the one I wanted was out of stock. Then they told me that I would get my refund for the coat as well as for the shipping. I did receive my refund for the coat, but it is now March 2016 an they have yet to give me the money for my shipping for $45 US. I have sent numerous emails with the receipt, called them and they keep stalling me and telling me that they have tried to refund me and it is not going thru for some reason. Now, they refuse to answer my emails.

junw2
May 8th, 2015

Two days after ordering some items on Selfridges online, I was told that one of the items was out of stock. I called up customer service the very next morning to clarify because the item is still available online for purchase. She told me that the item was positively out of stock at the warehouse. However, it was still on the website. The lady on the phone told me that I could purchase the item online again and would still receive the same out-of-stock notification days later. Displaying goods that are not available for sale is an unacceptable practice that is misleading and fraudulent. Worse still, instead of consulting me on what to do with the remaining items, I was told that they were already on their way to be dispatched. I told her that I was extremely unhappy with their service so much so that I'm willing to cancel my entire order of items that I really wanted. I'd rather get the items elsewhere from a company that engages in deceptive practices, has a broken website and online stock system plus terrible service standards.

A week later, Selfridges is still holding on to my money despite unavailability of goods.

peterc68
February 12th, 2015

Questions? Get answers from the Selfridges & Co staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Selfridges & Co?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

1.3
Have a question about Selfridges & Co?