Salt

Salt has a consumer rating of 1.32 stars from 19 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Salt also ranks 82nd among Mobile Carriers sites. The most common issues with Salt are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Very lousy customer service: rude, put you on hold for 30 minutes after which they're hanging down, rude, rude, rude.
  • After 3 months back home, I get emails about bills with Salt.
How would you rate Salt?

“Pre-paid SIM card”

So F.
9/12/17

We are a group of eight having trip to Switzerland from HongKkng. Having landed at Zurich airport on 25/8, we received great service from the two Salt expert staff at 08:00. They used about 15 minutes to complete the sale including installation of the data cards for us. Apart from efficiency, they are helpful and nice too. The 10CHF pre-paid data cards are found to be in very good 4G internet function within ten days' trip. We really appreciated the Salt service which is highly recommended for tourist travels.

“Worst Service ever”

Loveena B.
8/30/20

Literally, i would not recommend anyone to use salt. All they do is charge extra money for all types of calls. I normally pay 40 francs each month and they literally charge me 500 francs while i was abroad and NOT EVEN USING THE SIM CARD! My final bill was 700 francs which is totally unacceptable! Wont recommend salt to anyone and im evry glad i ended my contract

customer service (4) 3 months (3)
loveenab
August 30th, 2020
Wont recommend salt to anyone and im evry glad i ended my contract
amrutar
June 18th, 2020
TL; DR: I paid over CHF 600 for nothing but late reminder fees and contract termination charges for a company that did not provide a single day's secure service!

I ordered a SIM card online which never arrived by post. So I went to a Salt store, told them I didn't receive the SIM card and picked up a brand new one. I had to scratch the card, so I know it was a new one. On the same day, I opened my Salt online account and found a ton of usage, worth over CHF 300 that I didn't even recognise! This included a bunch of international calls to India, Sri Lanka and many other countries, to phone numbers that I didn't know!

I contacted Salt customer care and was gaslighted. They told me that I either "Made the usage and forgot about it" or "Someone else made calls from my phone", and I know both were not true. They simply did not listen to my claim that I did not make this usage. For the sake of safety, I got my SIM card blocked right away.

After several complaining emails back and forth, I FINALLY got a response from Salt admitting they made a mistake, the charges were bogus and nothing to do with my contract (email attached). I told them to end my contract right away, which they DID NOT DO!

I continued to get reminder fees and was finally slapped with termination fees (CHF 200). I had to pay over CHF 600 to a company that did not provide a proper service for even a SINGLE DAY. Bear in mind that all services had been suspended, and I was still charged all manner of other things!

I wish I had read these bad reviews before I decided to go with them. STAY AWAY!
ovidiuc3
June 15th, 2020
I have never seen a more openly lying company that ruthlessly tries to extort money from their customers. Stay away, please!
natalyak11
May 19th, 2020
I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1 because the internet speed is reliable and the reception is good. However, their plans are really made to trap you, and get as much money out of you as possible. While the reps are taught to lie, as they will not be responsible for anything they say.

Here is my experience: I came to a branch asking if my existing device (from the USA) would work with their SIM, they inspected the phone, and said "Yes, it will, let's sign you up!" I was happy - I got the SIM and a 1yr contract BUT the SIM did NOT work with my phone. I asked them on the spot about this, they replied "it will take time to connect, go home, it will work". Of course it did not work, not after a day not after a month. I complained, they either pretend not to speak english or that they do not know what you are talking about since the person who signed me up in not there... long story short i ended up paying for their service for the first 3 months without being able to use it, until I was able to get a new phone compatible with their SIM.

Later, I wanted to go back to the states for 2 months, and asked if it would be possible to pause my contract while I will be traveling. The answer was No. Again I had to pay for this plan while not even using it. It is f*ed up how little they care about the satisfaction of their customers.
sof564
September 12th, 2017
carries199
April 21st, 2020
I had a contract formed with Salt in November 2019. Being from outside Europe, I had no idea how to pay the bills online. I could not login to the online platform to try to pay online or to ask a question. I emailed them a question about how to officially pay, which no one had responded to. I finally figured it out the next month, but at that point Salt had decided to cancel my contract. I was visiting home for the holidays, and then once I got back I could not visit the store because of the Covid-19. I cannot call because I no longer have service.

I then received a cancelation bill for around 900 chf. My phone payments for the two year contract were supposed to be around 800 chf for the whole two years. This is totally out of my budget and I have not been able to talk to anyone through any official means. I have officially paid for the cancelation at this point, but this whole thing was a huge waste of money and time. I no longer have a working phone at this point.
victors125
October 5th, 2018
Don't ever do business with Salt. I terminated my contract and left the country. After 3 months back home, I get emails about bills with Salt. They did NOT terminate my contract and charged me for 3 months in addition to reminder fees on top of that. Their customer service sucks and they really don't give a $#*! about you. Also, their cellular phone also sucks and it's not worth it. Half of the time I felt that I had not cellular service at all.
aasa
June 22nd, 2018
Unannounced internet outage for more than half a day in the middle of Zurich city. Completely ruined my day.
abeerk2
May 8th, 2018
The worst provider ever. I wish I could rate less than 1. They always charge you with additional unclear charges. The internet is so poor and on top the customer service is unprofessional and useless.

There is no single thing which is good about this operator.
saby
December 19th, 2018
Leaving Switzerland I resigned my internet contract. Salt requested me to pay for it until the end (even if in the contract it is mentioned that in case you leave the country, you can resign without extra fees). 4 registered letters, many emails and phone calls: they say they never received the internet box back (which is not true but thank god I sent it by registered letter) and said I have to pay. I spoke to my legal insurance and I was told not to pay the bill as what they are trying to do is not legal. I will never be their client again!
andrep55
October 9th, 2018
AVOID JOINING SALT! I have been for 3 months trying to finish my contract following all the rules and contractual agreements and SALT has been inventing new rules after our communications to prevent us to finish the contract with no Fees. It is an highly dishonest and money driven organization with no quality personnel standards.
simone315
March 12th, 2019
This company will scam you till you die. Make sure to read all the terms and cancelation times and conditions before signing up otherwise they will scam you
daniellel132
November 25th, 2018
Signing up with Salt is easy. Their online system works well, and as long as you're a customer, there really isn't any issue (well. Both my kids had massive phone bills the first few months because of "SMS numbers they apparently signed up to, but didn't remember doing... can't say for sure that it's a Salt issue, but beware...). So for normal usage, it's fine... until you want to make a change to a contract. Then, get ready for the WORST customer experience in the world. They will do EVERYTHING in their power to not help you and keep milking you as long as they possibly can. Leaving the country on an expat assignment it has taken me over SIX months to get out of the contract. I've been insulted by the rudest help desk person I've ever encountered, hang up on, redirected and put on hold for ever, told one thing, then another, have 25 email exchanges, told I was sent emails I never received, my information requests been closed without answer... and still stuck paying monthly invoices for a phone number I can't use. I regret leaving Swisscom, and when we move back will never work with this company again.
antoniop82
September 10th, 2019
Salt is the biggest scam ever in Switzerland. There should be a petition to close the company. I was unable to use the service for a month and had to spend a lot of time with their poor costumer service
sarahp332
August 2nd, 2018
I don't even know where to start with them other than don't choose this company they will screw your over with extra bills that no one - I repeat no one in customer care knows where it's coming from. In general it seems that customer care never has a connection to the manager. Once an officer told me that he can't find the number for management, can you believe that? They scammed me for 500 ChF extra charges and fees even though I already had the most expensive plan. They refunded me 50CHF hahaha 50! I have never been so angry with a cell service provider. Sh*tty service, rude customer care on several occasions. I'm glad I'm gone and will never see the name of these scumbags in my house!
wint3
July 8th, 2018
My God, where do I begin! I have never regret anything I have done in my life, but changing to Salt was the WORST move! Since a year ago, I changed to them! After the initial so called cheap offer they did, (once you signed the contract!) Everything SINGLE LITTLE thing and issue it has, was decided to GET MONEY OUT OF YOU, from a reminder bill to basic service. (and the reminder bills was due to their mistake to mess up the bill!) plus shiiiity network and customer service. I wished I have never switch them from Sunrise, I CANNOT WAIT To change again when my contract is done! Go to hell, SALT, you guys are just vampire!
sanjeevkumara
November 28th, 2017
The so called 4G speed can give to download speed in KBPS and customer support will not be able to provide any help. I am stuck in a contract and now I have to pay and get worst service and no way to quit because of the contract.
claudiam116
August 25th, 2018
If I could put a zero mark I would. SHAME ON YOU SALT
If I could put a zero mark I would. There are no words to describe the unprofessionalism, poor service and fraud from Salt:

1. Very lousy customer service: rude, put you on hold for 30 minutes after which they're hanging down, rude, rude, rude.

2. Very bad coverage. Which is VERY IMPORTANT to know. I found myself not having coverage in my own appartment, in the train, when passing through job interviews and the employer tried to contact me I had to explain: 'well let me call you, as I never know when I have coverage or not'. I had always used Swisscom which was great, and for 10 CHF less a month I went for SALT. BIGGEST MISTAKE ever, i regretted that daily until my contract expired and I gave up to SALT.

3. SUPER CRAZY. 2 months before my contract with Salt ended (i had informed them in advance) I left on holidays in ASIA. I never used my phone in holidays, it was always offline. When I got the bill from SALT they charged me for around 10 min (4.99 CHF/min = 50 CHF extra) for inexistant calls. When I called to asked what was that about, they told me they think maybe my Iphone got a virus and was calling by itself (even IF OFFLINE). They refuse to cancel the 50 CHF from my bill, even if it is not my fault. Somehow there's this VIRUS that called numbers by itself. My question for SALT is:
- does this VIRUS work for SALT? As somehow the bill and money goes for them... I am not the only one to whom SALT did this, so beware...

4. I once bought a 1GB Roaming in France. I activated it and in 10 minutes I got a message saying it was finished. I called SALT to ask what just happened. After 30 minutes of on-hold they explained they had some IT service issue but that I wouldn't be charged. When I got the bill I was charged anyway, and after around an hour fighting with them, I gave up. As they simply had NO SHAME but to tell me that even if it s IT service issue, I passed the order. So even if I could not use the 1 GB, I did pass the order.

So SALT, you will never beat Swisscom. The rest of the users out there, for few extra money a month, don't do like me, don't look at SALT offer. You will not get confort, but only stress when situations like these happen. And believe me they will. For few extra bucks, choose a better network, as this is OUTRAGEOUS. Shame on you SALT

Questions? Get answers from the Salt staff and other customers.

Discover our exclusive online offers for mobile subscriptions. Or benefit from attractive deals to renew your current Salt contract.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Salt?

Have a question about Salt?