Sainsbury's

Sainsbury's has a consumer rating of 3.07 stars from 30 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Sainsbury's ranks 21st among Department Store sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 26.7%
How would you rate Sainsbury's?

“Outstanding service by Jon at collect.”

Pauline N.
4/17/21

I have been ordering my weekly shop using click and collect at Rayleigh weir very early on Saturday mornings. The two gentleman that work there deserve a mention. Especially a gentleman called Jon who is full of happiness and so helpful. He is great with people and goes above and beyond to make everyone smile while also very efficient. He remembers customers names and makes us feel special. Great job Pauline Nash

“Avoid - an absence of customer service, mouldy fresh produce and bizarre substitutions”

Carolyn B.
2/21/21

We voted with our feet today and ordered online from Tesco instead - Sainsbury's have no customer service, rude telephone agents (one of whom told me to shut up when I complained of mouldy food and ridiculous substitutions). They refused to refund my credit card charge I'd incurred for goods never order but delivered in multiples (!) and said if I'm not happy with substitutions (I shop for elderly neighbours) I should wake them up at 6am on a Sunday to check they're OK with substitutions. Seriously? Avoid them folks - they're vile profiteers who couldn't care less about wasting our hard-earned money.

carolynb742
February 21st, 2021

paulinen47
April 17th, 2021

Pauline Nash

faigyw
January 6th, 2021
Verified purchase

This is the second time that waited in vein for a £230 worth order delivery. Last email confirms delivery hour and product substitutions. Yet no one turned up. Second time round. Don't waste your time with Sainsbury's

Tip for consumers:
Don't waste your time . just shop on Tesco or ASDA where you always receive your delivery or notification

jessb216
January 28th, 2021

Absolutely shocking. Missing items from delivery and use by dates of the same day or next - tried to get refund. Took 2 hours and 5 calls - still no money back. AVOID.

Tip for consumers:
Never use Sainsbury’s online. From deliveries cancelled just before they’re meant to arrive to one-chance security questions before you lose your order and now missing items that you can’t get a refund for.

Products used:
Food and household

scottb1726
March 28th, 2021

Being let down by Sainsbury's online deliveries My delivery was supposed to be come before between 9 and 10 pm the delivery driver called me on my intercom at home asking me if I had a lift do you need tow story building I said no he said okay I cannot deliver I'm going I've had over 45 deliveries to my home could not see why they could not deliver to my home when it's completely safe and I've had 45 deliveries before tried to call customer service at Sainsbury's they were no help at all they said any driver can choose not to deliver to Sainsbury's customers all I can see is this driver was being completely lazy when I've had 45 deliveries that have been completely okay so I complained to Sainsbury's see you Sainsbury's customer service Twitter and Facebook Totally let down by them I don't know if I will never shop with them again I'm self isolating at home so I have no other way of getting food to myself I live on my own how can a big company treat a valuable customers like this does anybody really care

janetj31
June 3rd, 2019

I went to Hedge End Sainsburys. Granted they are moving the store around, but surely this shouldn't affect the freshness of their fruits and vegetables? Most of the vegetables looked very close to their use by date. I stood by the banana section whilst a guy was replacing the bananas. I waited for a minute and a half before I asked if he could move his trolley so I could select some bananas - he did this most ungraciously and left me only a small gap to squeeze through. Wonderful service, thanks. All this is not conducive to shopping there again.

dougb359
March 26th, 2021

Only way to complain is via Twitter or Facebook, both are a joke. Twitter has an automated menu system that just shunts you around in circles, I guess they idea idea is sooner or later you'll just get fed up and stop complaining
The old email customer service wass good, AND WORKED, the new (un)social media path doesn't work

liamt38
May 2nd, 2021

I have been a Sainsbury's customer for 15+ years. Primarily I visit their Salford store a couple of times a week and get online delivery once or twice a month.
My local 'big' Sainsbury's has always been pretty well stocked with a range of products and choices that suit my diet and pocket, coupled with the Nectar app and tailored offers on frequently purchased items overall they do well. I've noticed that if I go into store after 19:00 the shelves and choice of produce is somewhat lacking, and there seems to be an increasing number of trolleys for restocking mounting up from this period until close. Generally if there's specific items I really need I try to get there earlier. Fresh produce especially seems to run low from the evening onwards. Queuing has never really been an issue except for at the height of the pandemic, and the occasional exceptionally busy period. The staff have always been pleasant and helpful as required and even if there is a good selection of supermarkets in the local area for the quality of own brand produce and fair offers available it's very very rare that I consider going anywhere else, whether I need milk and bread or food for a week.
My online orders have always come from Heaton Park branch, I don't know if this is a store and distribution centre or solely a hub for picking and dispatching online orders. I only order from here once a month (usually) to restock on heavy/bulky items and to replenish cupboard goods, but will usually tag on fresh meat and veg for the week whilst I'm at it. I have never had any issues, there will usually be one or two items substituted which have usually been perfectly appropriate and suitable, anything more expensive has a credit voucher applied to your online account and its very easy to reject these at delivery if they are not what you want. I've also never had any issues rejecting damaged items (eggs are the only thing that springs to mind) and getting a credit. Drivers have typically been helpful, polite and courteous, most will help me carry stuff up the stairs (1st floor flat) without a grumble and take the crates back down. Only a couple of drivers were uncomfortable doing this, and this was at the beginning of the pandemic so I totally understood and appreciated their position (they would generally refuse to enter the premises and would stand back from the trolley with the crates on whilst I dealt with it). I'm not sure what would have happened if I had been incapable of doing this due to health or old age, but then if any of these were a real concern I wouldn't live on the first floor in a building without a lift.

Overall I've never had any real problems with Sainsbury's for the 15 plus years I've been a customer of theirs and wouldn't consider going anywhere else for the bulk of my grocery requirements.

kito
October 29th, 2020

Over the years I have had deliveries from other supermarkets at times, but only when I cant get a slot with Sainsburys.
My delivery comes from Sainsburys Barnstaple Devon. The orders are usually missing the odd item due to lack of stock at time order is being picked with the substitute options usually fairly good and usually more expensive BUT Sainsburys refund the difference in price - since the pandemic caused staff shortages the difference is refunded by voucher in your grocery account almost instantly.
This morning's order confirmation email showed items missing and not substituted... so I called Barnstaple and spoke with the delivery manager. He immediately apologised and offered to see what he could do.
Happily surprised he called me back. He was again sincerely apologetic that this had happened but confirmed that he was able find the items and has put them with my groceries for delivery! What a star!
This is not the first time that Sainsburys Barnstaple has proved to me that they value their customers - a handful of years ago an error was made with a gluten free item ordered where it had accidentally been replaced with the gluten version. The manager at Barnstaple not only apologised, but sent a card, flowers and gluten free items as an apology gift.
The managers at Barnstaple go above and beyond what I would ever have expected, particularly in this day and age of 'take it or leave it'!
I would also like to add that the delivery guys and girls have always been friendly and dont make me feel rushed, and always arrive within the time slot!

robertm3686
December 1st, 2020

Ordered online for delivery, delivery was on the 25 November between 21:00 - 22:00. Unfortunately, we didn't check the use-by dates on the fresh produce and have since realised most of the items had a short use-by date, mainly by the 27 November, with exception to a not so fresh chicken which had to be used by the 25 November, which in fact had only two hours before it could not be used and consumed safely.

Sainsbury's standards have slipped over recent years, and we will not be using them again.

florino3
December 7th, 2020

The worst possible delivery service, canceling your order without any notice and after that, if you still want the order they request more money. I'm dumbfounded by their attitude towards the customer and will not order from them ever again.

vickyl106
March 26th, 2021

I'm in my 40's, have arthritis. The staff are always so kind & helpful. Especially AKO & JOHN. Always cheer me up. So important during lockdown. Means alot. I always leave feeling happy!

karlb145
September 26th, 2020

What ever you do stay away from Sainsburys! They are vile. So many mistakes they have made with my online orders. The last three orders were the worst as they had made mistakes on 3 separate occasions and I had not received my goods. Staying on the phone with them for over an hour on many different occasions is exhausting when the outcome is still that you do not get your goods when it is their fault. No one is made accountable and you are still left with no food. This is the last time I am ordering from them and my advice to you is that they can have a glossy image but do not be fooled, they do not care, all they want in your money!
I had £65 worth of nectar vouchers to come off my order. They decided to charge me for the full amount and not take the nectar amount off after they were the ones to put it on their in the first place for me. I told them I do not want to pay the full price so they basically said it is either that or cancel the order. Nasty company! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

jamesh2651
July 17th, 2020

I ordered delivery from Sainsburys online. Never again. For the premium prices you pay, one would assume you get premium service. Not true. It started when the delivery arrived. The groceries were obviously packed by an idiot. My bread was in the bottom of a bag with loads of tins thrown in on top. Needless to say my bread was smashed. Someone's beer bottles had broken, soaking everything in beer. My groceries were carelessly thrown around, evident by containers that were damaged and opened. With the virus around, I won't eat anything opened. When I called sainsburys to get a refund for the damaged items, I waited on the phone for FORTY SIX MINUTES before I was able to speak to someone, only for them to tell me that I should have refused the delivery. The person on the phone also suggested that I wasn't being truthful about the six items that were damaged and unacceptable. I was completely gob smacked by the treatment. After arguing for several minutes, the person finally said she would have someone call for my bank details to process the refund. I never received a call and never got my £12 refund. In complete contrast, Tesco is less expensive, and if I have a problem, I call and it's sorted in less than ten minutes. I'm not endorsing Tesco in this review. I'm just showing how other, less expensive stores, treat their customers.

johne1223
November 27th, 2020

I recently started using the Sunderland North Sainsbury's for click and collect. They refuse, as is Sainsbury's policy, to bag the items and they are presented in trays on the ground next to your car for you to pick up and put into you own bags. No wonder there are plenty of slots. No table or anything to let you bag it. I am 75 and use click and collect to leave online for those less able than me. Sainsbury's claim that there policy of reducing plastic prevents them from using bags. The amount of plastic is tiny for this area and do they not realise we are in a national emergency.
Is the saving of a tiny amount of plastic worth the major discomfort and possible contamination of the grocery's being put into the ground let alone the discomfort of their customers.

tas216
February 9th, 2016

Brilliant just popped into Sainsbury's today mainly to get cat food but I always cannot resist looking at the sale rails.

Love this because they hang everything according to size although you do have to look for rogue items on the wrong hangars now and then.
Bargain I got two little jackets half price. Perfect for work or casual. Two good quality jackets total price £25 pair.
You just couldn't get these deals in other stores.
The jackets are lined and well cut.
Well done Sainsbury's keep it up.
Very happy shopper.

jimmyr27
August 27th, 2015

Had our same driver for last 18 months delivering the food, always good experience

valeriam49
February 26th, 2021
Verified purchase

I did not expect such a disgusting attitude during such a difficult period for everyone. I am in isolation with a confirmed covid diagnosis. I ordered food in Sainsbourg online, indicated that I was on self-isolation. The driver came and called the intercom and told me to go down to the street for groceries. I live on the second floor in a three storey building. I explained that I have a covid and that I cannot leave my apartment. The driver said that he, too, would not go upstairs for safety reasons, and left. I want to note that I live alone. I called the indicated phone number and they promised me to investigate the situation and call back. After 2.5 hours they called me back and promised to bring my groceries in the evening. At 7 pm I called again. The same person told the version of what was happening on behalf of the driver who arrived in the morning (this version is the complete opposite of the truth) and assured me that before 11 pm I will definitely receive my order. I did not receive the order, I waited until 2 pm the next day. I called and demanded to return my money, the order was for £ 160. I was told that they were sorry that it happened and they would return the money to me within 5 days! This is just a mockery! Bear my story in mind if you want to order food in Sainsbury.

Tip for consumers:
Buy from other food store, you will safe time and your nerves.

Products used:
Grocery

willemd5
December 28th, 2019

Be extremely wary of using the online store of this dishonest company.
Their claim that you will never be worse off due to their "Substitution promise" is a complete lie. The replacements they send generally cost less in total meaning you are not refunded, but the unit cost is much higher than the original item you ordered. For instance, if you buy 2 packs of 16 tablets which cost 19p per tablet they will send you 2 packs of 10 tablets as substitute, even though the cost per tablet is then 30p making it much more expensive.

andyw81
December 9th, 2017

Whilst passing through 4 members of staff milling around to join the lengthy queue for self checkout... at this moment in time i should point out that i would rather deal with a person... i looked for carrier bags of which i required 2... how easy would it be to have bags available hand as opposed to being passed out by a member of staff who is dealing with 6 machines half of which are screaming please seek assistance repeatedly!
I am sure the other bemused customers the same as myself would much rather deal with a human being as opposed to screaming machines and a obviously stressed member of staff who is trying to do the work of 6!
Sort it out sainsburys!

jessib2
November 5th, 2015

Rather go to the store everything I order tends to be out of stock, even though it's fine at the time I order it, it's like once I ordered a razor and it was out of stock so they came with cartridges really omg, it's overpriced for the quality aswell as some of the food packaging comes dented

Tip for consumers:
Go to the store instead at least you know what your getting

nathank1
October 13th, 2013

Ordered an item in november 2011 which yodel claimed they tried to deliver twice but no card left. Then it was delivered for a third time, to a neighbor i don'; t even know. I never got the item and sainsbury's refused to refund. I contacted them 10 times before i gave up. Never order from them,

lesleye
January 11th, 2011

With this review, i'm not talking groceries as i've never had them on-line from here.
I ordered some curtains which were in the sale at a great price. Delivery was fast and as we spent over £50 we got free delivery. The only issue i have is that you can get delivery to your local store if they are part of the Click and Collect service however, despite having 3 big shops near me, none of them were part of it. So when it came to returning a couple of items, i had to take them to a post office
Which just happened to be right opposite a big Sainsburys!
Apart from that the curtains were well made and a great price.

garyh132
July 5th, 2016

Some very good products, But a little bit expensive

zhangl2
December 18th, 2015

Never had a problem, staff are friendly and the service is good

Questions? Get answers from the Sainsbury's staff and other customers.

Shop online at Sainsbury's for everything from groceries and clothing to homewares, electricals and more. We also offer a great range of financial services. Live well for less.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sainsbury's?

Have a question about Sainsbury's?