Sainsbury's

Sainsbury's has a consumer rating of 2.23 stars from 39 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Sainsbury's most frequently mention customer service problems. Sainsbury's ranks 33rd among Department Store sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 18.2%
How would you rate Sainsbury's?

“Outstanding service by Jon at collect.”

Pauline N.
4/17/21

I have been ordering my weekly shop using click and collect at Rayleigh weir very early on Saturday mornings. The two gentleman that work there deserve a mention. Especially a gentleman called Jon who is full of happiness and so helpful. He is great with people and goes above and beyond to make everyone smile while also very efficient. He remembers customers names and makes us feel special. Great job Pauline Nash

“Racial profiling of black customers”

Ashley P.
9/3/21

Racially profiled by security guards, harassed, verbally abused, and physically threatened... what did Sainsbury's do... nothing. 10 months later after public pressure, they are now conducting an investigation... avoid!

ashleyp731
September 3rd, 2021

Tip for consumers:
there is racial profiling in the brixton store on 425 brixton road and maybe others as well. be careful.

food

carolynb742
February 21st, 2021
Verified purchase

We voted with our feet today and ordered online from Tesco instead - Sainsbury's have no customer service, rude telephone agents (one of whom told me to shut up when I complained of mouldy food and ridiculous substitutions). They refused to refund my credit card charge I'd incurred for goods never order but delivered in multiples (!) and said if I'm not happy with substitutions (I shop for elderly neighbours) I should wake them up at 6am on a Sunday to check they're OK with substitutions. Seriously? Avoid them folks - they're vile profiteers who couldn't care less about wasting our hard-earned money.

victore102
July 2nd, 2021

Cancelled my food delivery 1 hour before the scheduled time! This is ridiculous, as I am self-isolation and cannot go to the physical store. The next available delivery slots are few days away. What am I suppose to eat until then? On top of that, I used my 2 GBP coupon for the order, which I did not get back after the delivery cancelation! They did not even offered a new slot, instead they told me to reorder each item again because they cannot see my order details. Easily, 1 star review.

don't use it

none, I am starving

faigyw
January 6th, 2021
Verified purchase

This is the second time that waited in vein for a £230 worth order delivery. Last email confirms delivery hour and product substitutions. Yet no one turned up. Second time round. Don't waste your time with Sainsbury's

Tip for consumers:
Don't waste your time . just shop on Tesco or ASDA where you always receive your delivery or notification

mikef1216
July 23rd, 2021

I am not often moved to make a fuss but I find myself in a chain reaction of increasing disappointment and despair.
We did a family shop online on Friday 16 July, nothing unusual there. However a portion of the shop included items for a vegan consumer…. Not always the easiest of tasks.
Imagine my surprise then when I notice an email from Sainsbury's telling me that a vegan ready meal I had purchased actually contained milk, beef and pork…. Not very vegan at all.
I wanted to raise my concern and disappointment to this so I replied to the email and waited several days for some sort of reaction.
There was none so this raised my level of displeasure.
I looked at the email again and decided it was not an address that would be monitored…. Another notch of annoyance…. In this day and age who would send out quite an important email that you cannot reply to?
So I go to google and find a customer services email address…. I'm really quite angry now that something that was not of my doing was causing me so much grief.
Imagine my reaction when I get an automated response telling that Sainsbury's have stopped doing customer service…. By email anyway, totally ridiculous! Another notch up on the Mr Angry scale.
As a last resort I phone the number provided on the email, something I really did not want to do. After an irritating navigation of inappropriate options I end up talking to someone in South Africa, not ideal.
Is my issue with an order…. No
Is my issue with a shop assistant…. No
I just want an email address to write to please.
Back on hold while the operative consults a higher authority…. I'm sorry we don't have an email address…. You must be joking…. Another notch up on the dissatisfaction meter.
Can I speak to your supervisor please? No sorry they are all in a meeting. Who have you just spoken to then? No satisfactory answer. By this point I am absolutely furious and the issue is now much more than a concern about a non vegan vegan meal.
Sainsbury's what on earth are you doing? I have been a loyal customer of yours for many years and use more than just your retail services.
This experience has left me questioning my judgment in doing this and if I do not get some satisfaction from you regarding these escalating matters I will be seriously rethinking whether I want to continue my several relationships with you.

garyh132
July 5th, 2016

Some very good products, But a little bit expensive

jessb216
January 28th, 2021

Absolutely shocking. Missing items from delivery and use by dates of the same day or next - tried to get refund. Took 2 hours and 5 calls - still no money back. AVOID.

Tip for consumers:
Never use Sainsbury’s online. From deliveries cancelled just before they’re meant to arrive to one-chance security questions before you lose your order and now missing items that you can’t get a refund for.

Food and household

scottb1726
March 28th, 2021

Being let down by Sainsbury's online deliveries My delivery was supposed to be come before between 9 and 10 pm the delivery driver called me on my intercom at home asking me if I had a lift do you need tow story building I said no he said okay I cannot deliver I'm going I've had over 45 deliveries to my home could not see why they could not deliver to my home when it's completely safe and I've had 45 deliveries before tried to call customer service at Sainsbury's they were no help at all they said any driver can choose not to deliver to Sainsbury's customers all I can see is this driver was being completely lazy when I've had 45 deliveries that have been completely okay so I complained to Sainsbury's see you Sainsbury's customer service Twitter and Facebook Totally let down by them I don't know if I will never shop with them again I'm self isolating at home so I have no other way of getting food to myself I live on my own how can a big company treat a valuable customers like this does anybody really care

janetj31
June 3rd, 2019

I went to Hedge End Sainsburys. Granted they are moving the store around, but surely this shouldn't affect the freshness of their fruits and vegetables? Most of the vegetables looked very close to their use by date. I stood by the banana section whilst a guy was replacing the bananas. I waited for a minute and a half before I asked if he could move his trolley so I could select some bananas - he did this most ungraciously and left me only a small gap to squeeze through. Wonderful service, thanks. All this is not conducive to shopping there again.

dougb359
March 26th, 2021

Only way to complain is via Twitter or Facebook, both are a joke. Twitter has an automated menu system that just shunts you around in circles, I guess they idea idea is sooner or later you'll just get fed up and stop complaining
The old email customer service wass good, AND WORKED, the new (un)social media path doesn't work

paulinen47
April 17th, 2021

Pauline Nash

carlah247
June 18th, 2021

DO NOT ENTER SAINSBURYS BLACKPOOL
Have complained to staff on 6 occasions regarding being hit by bicycles riding around the store. On one occasion I waited 15 minutes for a member of "management" to come downstairs and the silly twat told me that she was unaware of any law preventing bikes in store! Another "manager" told me that if I didn't like it, it was my responsibility to tackle the cyclist and not theirs! This sounds really awful but I really hope an elderly lady is run over in store, perhaps the resulting costs and publicity will educate the company.
On another occasion, in a busy store, the cashier glared at a mother & child, then began ranting "it's always them, it's always the p4kis"
This is completely unacceptable. I do not know where this cashier was from or what her problem is (but I could identify her) it is NEVER, EVER ok to bring your racist rant to your professional working environment or any public place. Keep your bigoted poison to yourself.
Where the hell do they find these idiots? Managers who want customers to stop cyclists in store and cashiers who feel it's ok to spread race hate around Sainsbury's.
Blackpool has one of the highest unemployment rates in the UK, there is a huge pool of potential employees, but Sainsbury's are not very selective. It appears that they would rather scrape clowns from the floor of a local drug den and slap a uniform on them.
Please please vote with your feet and do not enter this store, to keep yourself safe and to force them to examine their recruitment and training.

Tip for consumers:
There are other similar options just minutes away from Sainsbury's Blackpool

zhangl2
December 18th, 2015

Never had a problem, staff are friendly and the service is good

robertm3686
December 1st, 2020

Ordered online for delivery, delivery was on the 25 November between 21:00 - 22:00. Unfortunately, we didn't check the use-by dates on the fresh produce and have since realised most of the items had a short use-by date, mainly by the 27 November, with exception to a not so fresh chicken which had to be used by the 25 November, which in fact had only two hours before it could not be used and consumed safely.

Sainsbury's standards have slipped over recent years, and we will not be using them again.

liamt38
May 2nd, 2021

I have been a Sainsbury's customer for 15+ years. Primarily I visit their Salford store a couple of times a week and get online delivery once or twice a month.
My local 'big' Sainsbury's has always been pretty well stocked with a range of products and choices that suit my diet and pocket, coupled with the Nectar app and tailored offers on frequently purchased items overall they do well. I've noticed that if I go into store after 19:00 the shelves and choice of produce is somewhat lacking, and there seems to be an increasing number of trolleys for restocking mounting up from this period until close. Generally if there's specific items I really need I try to get there earlier. Fresh produce especially seems to run low from the evening onwards. Queuing has never really been an issue except for at the height of the pandemic, and the occasional exceptionally busy period. The staff have always been pleasant and helpful as required and even if there is a good selection of supermarkets in the local area for the quality of own brand produce and fair offers available it's very very rare that I consider going anywhere else, whether I need milk and bread or food for a week.
My online orders have always come from Heaton Park branch, I don't know if this is a store and distribution centre or solely a hub for picking and dispatching online orders. I only order from here once a month (usually) to restock on heavy/bulky items and to replenish cupboard goods, but will usually tag on fresh meat and veg for the week whilst I'm at it. I have never had any issues, there will usually be one or two items substituted which have usually been perfectly appropriate and suitable, anything more expensive has a credit voucher applied to your online account and its very easy to reject these at delivery if they are not what you want. I've also never had any issues rejecting damaged items (eggs are the only thing that springs to mind) and getting a credit. Drivers have typically been helpful, polite and courteous, most will help me carry stuff up the stairs (1st floor flat) without a grumble and take the crates back down. Only a couple of drivers were uncomfortable doing this, and this was at the beginning of the pandemic so I totally understood and appreciated their position (they would generally refuse to enter the premises and would stand back from the trolley with the crates on whilst I dealt with it). I'm not sure what would have happened if I had been incapable of doing this due to health or old age, but then if any of these were a real concern I wouldn't live on the first floor in a building without a lift.

Overall I've never had any real problems with Sainsbury's for the 15 plus years I've been a customer of theirs and wouldn't consider going anywhere else for the bulk of my grocery requirements.

jehana5
August 4th, 2021

Sainsbury's are not reliable with online shopping they deliver damaged items and when you phone to complain or report the issue as their terms and conditions advice the terminate your account with no reason at all.

gl165
August 2nd, 2021

I thought my situation was resolved, but a cashier thought it was ok to say to another cashier I can't serve him - previously she said"I am sick of you" but thought it ok to say - the above - thinking I couldn't hear her - oh well they've lost my custom now! Never will return. I find where I go now more better and not uncomfortable - than it was at the, Castleford store at, Sainsbury's

anitak179
July 19th, 2021

Ordered several Tu items of footwear for my three-year old through Argos click and collect at Sainsbury. I had to return a few of these back to Argos via the same store. My refund never arrived. I had to spend close to one hour on the live chat to attempt to get back the money rightfully owed to me. And even then when the refund eventually came through it was short of £12. I then had to attempt live chat again, which because of the appalling system just kept getting rejected. I persisted and one hour later I have been told I will get my owing £12 – time is to tell on that. At no point was there an apology for the inconvenience. If you don't mind wasting hours of your life trying to claim back refunds, then go ahead and shop with this store. I certainly won't shop with them again

marka124
November 16th, 2015

Always of a a high standard of delivery, thanks geoff!

florino3
December 7th, 2020

The worst possible delivery service, canceling your order without any notice and after that, if you still want the order they request more money. I'm dumbfounded by their attitude towards the customer and will not order from them ever again.

carolynm70
November 24th, 2016

Last week I was in sainsbury's and fancied shepherd's pie, so I bought a taste the difference pie, it was different... big carton, half full of mashed potato, gravy, carrots, NO Meat, just slop,
That will teach me, not to buy ready meals and make my own shepherds pie like I usually do.

karlb145
September 26th, 2020

What ever you do stay away from Sainsburys! They are vile. So many mistakes they have made with my online orders. The last three orders were the worst as they had made mistakes on 3 separate occasions and I had not received my goods. Staying on the phone with them for over an hour on many different occasions is exhausting when the outcome is still that you do not get your goods when it is their fault. No one is made accountable and you are still left with no food. This is the last time I am ordering from them and my advice to you is that they can have a glossy image but do not be fooled, they do not care, all they want in your money!
I had £65 worth of nectar vouchers to come off my order. They decided to charge me for the full amount and not take the nectar amount off after they were the ones to put it on their in the first place for me. I told them I do not want to pay the full price so they basically said it is either that or cancel the order. Nasty company! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

jamesh2651
July 17th, 2020

I ordered delivery from Sainsburys online. Never again. For the premium prices you pay, one would assume you get premium service. Not true. It started when the delivery arrived. The groceries were obviously packed by an idiot. My bread was in the bottom of a bag with loads of tins thrown in on top. Needless to say my bread was smashed. Someone's beer bottles had broken, soaking everything in beer. My groceries were carelessly thrown around, evident by containers that were damaged and opened. With the virus around, I won't eat anything opened. When I called sainsburys to get a refund for the damaged items, I waited on the phone for FORTY SIX MINUTES before I was able to speak to someone, only for them to tell me that I should have refused the delivery. The person on the phone also suggested that I wasn't being truthful about the six items that were damaged and unacceptable. I was completely gob smacked by the treatment. After arguing for several minutes, the person finally said she would have someone call for my bank details to process the refund. I never received a call and never got my £12 refund. In complete contrast, Tesco is less expensive, and if I have a problem, I call and it's sorted in less than ten minutes. I'm not endorsing Tesco in this review. I'm just showing how other, less expensive stores, treat their customers.

johne1223
November 27th, 2020

I recently started using the Sunderland North Sainsbury's for click and collect. They refuse, as is Sainsbury's policy, to bag the items and they are presented in trays on the ground next to your car for you to pick up and put into you own bags. No wonder there are plenty of slots. No table or anything to let you bag it. I am 75 and use click and collect to leave online for those less able than me. Sainsbury's claim that there policy of reducing plastic prevents them from using bags. The amount of plastic is tiny for this area and do they not realise we are in a national emergency.
Is the saving of a tiny amount of plastic worth the major discomfort and possible contamination of the grocery's being put into the ground let alone the discomfort of their customers.

kito
October 29th, 2020

Over the years I have had deliveries from other supermarkets at times, but only when I cant get a slot with Sainsburys.
My delivery comes from Sainsburys Barnstaple Devon. The orders are usually missing the odd item due to lack of stock at time order is being picked with the substitute options usually fairly good and usually more expensive BUT Sainsburys refund the difference in price - since the pandemic caused staff shortages the difference is refunded by voucher in your grocery account almost instantly.
This morning's order confirmation email showed items missing and not substituted... so I called Barnstaple and spoke with the delivery manager. He immediately apologised and offered to see what he could do.
Happily surprised he called me back. He was again sincerely apologetic that this had happened but confirmed that he was able find the items and has put them with my groceries for delivery! What a star!
This is not the first time that Sainsburys Barnstaple has proved to me that they value their customers - a handful of years ago an error was made with a gluten free item ordered where it had accidentally been replaced with the gluten version. The manager at Barnstaple not only apologised, but sent a card, flowers and gluten free items as an apology gift.
The managers at Barnstaple go above and beyond what I would ever have expected, particularly in this day and age of 'take it or leave it'!
I would also like to add that the delivery guys and girls have always been friendly and dont make me feel rushed, and always arrive within the time slot!

Questions? Get answers from the Sainsbury's staff and other customers.

Shop online at Sainsbury's for everything from groceries and clothing to homewares, electricals and more. We also offer a great range of financial services. Live well for less.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sainsbury's?

Have a question about Sainsbury's?