Review of River Island

5/19/19

Bad service.
Bad experience.
Bad return policy.

First and last time with this shop.

josephh337
5/13/19

WARNING. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY.
I purchased a suit and it arrived damaged. The quality is poor as well.
I requested to return the item and was told I will need to pay for returning it. It costs $150 to ship it back with tracking which is what they suggest to do. $95 without tracking number, but they can claim they never received it.
I have emailed them and not heard back yet.
This is unacceptable. Why should I pay for damaged goods?
I hope to hear back from someone soon with a quick resolution.

kamile4
4/12/19

so
My adventure with jeans from the river island started half a year ago
the first pair torn after five months of using the second pants after 6 months made holes from the back for sewing a pocket
on top of that I bought a third couple for the first ones I just scored, it turned out that these new jeans are dyebja (cost 50) and they left me blue for my new white shoes from tommy H. for 150
WTF river island?

danielao6
1/30/19

I ordered the wrong size and tried to cancel my order immediately but was told it was too late. I was told to deny the package at the door and it would get sent back to the company. I then ordered the same jacket in the correct size. The original order was delivered but I wasn't able to deny the package at home even though they required a signature for me. The delivery person just dropped it off without ringing bell. When I asked for printing label it turns out it's gojng to cost me $104 to ship it back. So now Im stuck with 2 identical jackets that cost me $335. I will never shop at this site again.

karenl584
1/14/19

I have been scammed, the piece of clothing never arrived and I have paid for this. I believe that a potential website masquerading as River Island UK is set up - my issue is that River Island proper were notified by myself and have wiped their hands clean.

emmanuelf5
12/13/18

I called in for a product that says it was available at the 213 oxford street store, so I journeyed 2 hours to the store as I needed to travel out of the country next day. Little did I know I was on a trip to the most unreasonable store manager ever. The sales guy checked on the pda and it says they had 5 available but the manager won't sell because he wanted to use it for promo. Excuse me manager, I've just traveled all the way down to your store because the telephone and online service says you have it stocked and we've confirmed from the pda that stock is certainly available. Your sales assistance has gone to check the stock room and has confirmed the physical appearance of what I came to buy. The manager kept lying right to my face item was no longer available. No other company has been so unreasonable as the customer service agent said they couldn't overrule the store manager's decision. Today has been an absolute waste of my time and money. This is certainly a goodbye to RiverIsland from me as it's clear that customers are certainly not valued in their culture.

erinf61
11/18/18

The customer service is terrible. Good luck trying to return something as you will pay a hefty fee. I will never shop here again.

joanneb156
9/9/18

I ordered two separate orders as the 1st one never got delivered I then had to ring them fill out forms and finally demand my money back 2 weeks later second order didn't arrive as expected numerous phone calls to DPD and a £10 off order in which I ended up with £2.12 What joke and when I emailed them about all my wasted time, phone calls they sent a numeric email back with not even so much as a discount offer will never use this site again....

luisas18
6/30/18

Very disappointing shop and costumer service! I made two orders on their website totalling 150 that have to be delivered outside UK, orders were supposed to be delivered on the 25th June, just one of the parcel arrived and the other one has been probably lost. Customer service have no idea where my parcel is and they don't want to contact DPD. They don't even offered a refund!!! this is ridicoulous you don't care about your costumers, I will never order with them again

flareh
5/19/18

please do no shop at RiverIsland.com. Its functioned as an elaborate scam to steal money and give customers no compensation.

dissastifiedc
4/19/18

Ordered 2x shirts on the 29/3/18. Living in Australia I expected there would be an extended time on international shipping. Expected delivery date was 10/4/18. Nil package as of 12/4/18, sent multiple emails to follow up. Dealt with multiple employees over the course of a week to follow up on the SAME issue however was given with the standard reply of asking me to check my local postal service on the package (which I did twice)....despite an invalid tracking number provided from 'track this order' button on the RI site. Staff unable to provide me with any further details saying the package had "left the UK". Finally resolved as of 17/4/18 - refund given and generic apology sent.

juliek77
2/3/18

Ordered four items online but they all had to be returned as didn't fit. Returned by post and got an email to say three had been returned. Queried this on live chat to be told that one of the items had been worn and washed so would be returned to me. I couldn't get it on so how could I have worn it? The thing is, the item (jumpsuit) was absolutely lovely and in perfect condition as far as I could see, I was gutted that it didn't fit. I am absolutely baffled as to what has happened here but all I know is that I am £30 out of pocket and not happy. Reading all the other bad reviews for them I see I am not on my own. I spend £££'s in store for the whole family but I won't shop there again out of principal. Arrogant, rude and unhelpful company, they are a disgrace.

sabriyyahm
12/10/17

You never know how poor Customer Service is until you need it. I've ordered from River Island plenty of times without incident. However, last week (Sunday evening) I placed an order for one item which was listed on sale for $45. Hours later (Monday morning) I check the website and find the same item listed for $30. My order hadn't been processed or shipped so I signed into my account to attempt to cancel the order. There's NO option to cancel an order on their website. It only states if there's an issue to contact customer service. I filled out the submission form and waited to hear from someone. The next day I hadn't received a response. However, my order had now been processed and shipped. I submitted another Customer Service submission form to see if they could help me. Again, NO response. How unprofessional! I'm really disappointed that nearly a week later I've still been ignored. If anyone reads this it's regarding order # 43062837.

jayj97
9/14/17

Sent numerous emails to find out detailed measurements for a jacket and a pair of pants only to be told simply that the email has been received and they're "looking into" it. Its been over 2 weeks and these clowns don't even have the courtesy to tell me that they're sorry for the delay. Great job getting rid of potential customers. I will never support such a pathetic vendor.

ishak10
9/14/17

I had placed an order of 2 bags on 10th of August, 2017 but failed to receive it. However after one month of following up with River Island team, I was very conveniently informed that my parcel is declared lost & it has reached the warehouse on 13th of September, 2017 (After my mail on 13th September, 2017, Indian time)

Could you please explain me that how is it possible that the parcel did not reach to me in more than a month but reached River Island ware house in less than 24 hours?

How do you even expect customer loyalty with such irresponsible behavior? This is so irresponsible, I have been waiting for my order since a month and now your team is informing me that the parcel is declared lost.

carolync80
8/14/17

Worst customer service ever. Bought a pair of sandals for my daughter and the strap started to give way, one store offered an exchange but they didn't sell kids clothing so took them to another store who said they did not believe it was a manufacturer fault so in other words they were accusing me. Rang customer service helpline who suggested that I send the sandals to them?? What for to be told the same over again and end up with a pair of sandals that are no good.

miletak
7/5/17

I ordered a pair of shoes online and they came in faulty, but I went to my local store and the girls were sweet, lovely and they actually advised me to order a new free of charge and collect it from their store next week Thursday.. the shoes came in 3 days earlier then they were supposed to and a new replacement pair was perfect

The girls apologized and were really nice and professional

I love River Island in Blanchardstown, Dublin, amazing staff, always helpful and will solve your problem

I had the same issue in the past, I bought a pair and they were faulty, the faux leather cracked after wearing it the first time so I brought them back and the girls gave a new pair

This is why I love this store, they will always help and you do not have to worry if something goes wrong as they will do their best to make you happy

rachaelr15
5/22/17

I ordered a dress on the 24th April and was sent an email on the 26th saying it had been dispatched. I was told on 2 occasions the dress will arrive on or before the 8th May. The 8th May arrived and my dress did not. I contacted river island and was told that I should wait double my delivery time and if it didn't arrive contact them again. The 22nd of May being the new delivery date. It is now the 22nd May and my dress has still not arrived! This is unacceptable, do not purchase from this site if you wish to get a product which you paid for.

mariamw2
5/2/17

I ordered some clothes which included a crop top and pencil skirt set. When I received my package I tried on the set together. The top fit but I oredered the wrong size for the skirt. It was way too big, about 2-3 sizes too big. When I went to take off the skirt I grabbed the side of the waist and felt something wierd. When I looked there was a tear/rip on the seam where the elastic and fabric meet. I know for sure that I received this item damaged because the skirt was so large that I didn't have a struggle pulling them up and on or off. I barley handled that skirt. So I emailed customer support and they told me that I have to pay to ship the item back to the UK and they will see about reimbursing me the shipping cost if they come to a conclusion that the item was shipped damaged. That right there is the most ridiculous solution for a customer who spent money and received a damaged item. I live in Orlando, Fl and last time I checked it cost over $100 to ship overseas. I loved Rihanna up until this point. How could you let your company treat your fans like a door mat? This sailor has jumped ship! F you NAVY!!!!! You will never see another cent from this gyal!!!! I will do my best to let as much people know about this horrific experience. And because I have no choice but to keep the damaged item, I am going to set it on fire while filming to show how cheap this company really is and then post it on youtube so it can go viral!!!! How you like them apples with your cheap clothing called RIVERISLAND!!!

rebeccac101
4/8/17

I ordered clothes on 18/02/17 online, which had an expected arrival date of of 03/03/17. Until now, 08/04/17, I still haven't received.

After multiple emails to River Island, I received no response. I had to get a friend, in the UK, to call them on my behalf. RI then emailed me a Lost Parcels Form to complete, which I did and sent back.

After following up multiple times with them again (and receiving no response) RI finally wrote back saying my refund request had been rejected with no explanation why.

Im not one to write these sorts of things but I haven't received the order AND they are refusing to refund the money.

audreyh16
12/2/16

they sold my boots the order processed they took money when i went to collect them they were not there phoned to ask why was told not in stock

angelah87
11/20/16

I have had the worst experience of customer service at River Island. I've been chasing a delivery which is 3 days late, and I get told each time you'll receive it today. Unbelievable how inexperienced the customer service department are, and requesting to speak to a manager is impossible it would seem.River Island Customer service department is on par with Ryan Air customer service, and you can't get any worse than that.

lolas12
10/31/16

This site/company is the worst. I purchased two tops a few months ago and they BOTH arrived defective. I still wanted the items but it had already sold out. I wrote them in a panic since you only have 14 days to return an item for a refund. After 3 days of emailing back and forth, they told me to keep the items and they would refund only one. I was a little upset but figured it would cost me less to have it fixed so I let it go.

Fast forward to a recent purchase I made. I know, I didn't learn my lesson. I clearly ordered from the US site a size 7 boot. When it arrived is was a UK 7 which for those who don't know is like a US 9.5-10. No way it fits me. I emailed them once again and they had the nerve to say I ordered the UK 7 and they would not exchange it. My options were to keep the item or ship it back for $25 OVER what the item was worth that I paid for. I argued and argued but to no avail. They insisted and stopped communicating. This site not only carries defective merchandise but is also unethical in their business practices. They should be shut down.

abigailm11
3/11/16

NEVER in my life have I been so disgusted and belittled with the customer service I have received today at river island Preston Deepdale retail park!

The lady over the counter refused to return a top which I had bought last week and NEVER worn as the tag was no longer attached but was in the bagI then said that is not a valid reason as i know many people return items without the tags attached, she then said the actual reason she can't return it is between herself and the manager and she couldn't tell me however I said I have every right to know the reason the product can't be returned!!!!she eventually told me it was because she could smell deodorant? which yes I'm sure I would have worn when trying the top on and then taking it back off.. she then started giggling to her colleague next to her and tried to involve the customer next to me. So not only did this woman try to make me look like a liar but also tried to humiliate me which is very unprofessional which then made me feel as I was being bullied!!!!!!

As a loyal customer to river island I find this very poor and I feel I should no longer shop there as when I spoke to the manager from this store she pretty much did nothing!

I was returning the top with the tag in damaged in the bag and also with the receipt. The reason for the top being returned is its too long and I took the tag off before trying it on as usually the sizes are accurate. To anyone reading this I would not recommend shopping there as customer service changes if there is an issue with clothing

kellym124
12/3/15

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ONLINE EVER! I have sent about 8/9 emails now and have received ONE email back saying "thank you for your recent email.We regret to advise that we are unable to change details such as addresses on orders once they have been placed. However, we believe there is still a strong chance that this is delivered successfully to your address.Alternatively, should you not receive this within our standard delivery timescales, we would recommend contacting ourselves for further assistance. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I have used river island for years and never had an issue until now. I noticed a glitch in the system when i made my order and it never noted my street number. I emailed ASAP as I could cancel or change my order online (like you used to able to) asking them to cancel or edit the address. I got told the above. Since then, i have watched the tracking, emailed them again, then couldnt deliver, its sent back. I emailed them again, NO REPLY! Nothing, not even to tell me what the process is next.

I am furious! Not even acknowledgment of my emails! Very disappointed and will NEVER use them again! Woeful customer service team!!!!!

ZERO STAR - but had to give one just so i could comment! (ps I dont usually this annoyed about things, but they have really made my blood boil!!!)

Questions? Get answers from the River Island staff and other customers.

1 Photo for River Island