Review of PortaTech

PortaTech reviews

Tel: +1-949-454-8196

johnc1892
12/14/18

Absolutely avoid these guys! I ordered a custom pc, and "wireless keyboard and mouse". After missing their deadline, and a couple of phone calls later, I received the mouse/keyboard combo first. What I got was a cheap, Logitech MK270 priced at over $40 (list price is $27.99). When I contacted customer service, they were vague and dismissive. They said, well we pay $10 for shipping so I don't think the mark up is that much...but I PAID FOR SHIPPING!! After looking through the hoops that I have to jump through just to return the keyboard, I decided to cancel shipment on my custom build pc. It's definitely not work the risk!

Tip for consumers: Do your homework before buying

tupperd1
6/1/18

This is my second day PC from Portatech.com I gave the first one I got 3 years ago to my wife to replace her 10 yr old HP and I finally got a real performance system. The ordering process was actually pretty simple and the PC is nicer and faster than I expected.
I called once to get advice and they were very helpful. I would definitely recommend.

tonyf64
4/17/18

I give them a 4 star rating because they are not the best priced online, but they are not the worst & I have never had any negative experiences with them when buying from them & I have shopped there in the past.

Would I recommend them to others,
Sure, they have good customer service & decent prices

carlr47
11/30/17

These people ... ughh. I got my machine from them and even in the mailing box I could hear a rattling. Video card was loose inside the machine. No screw ??? Just slapped together at 4:30 on a Friday or something? This machine consistantly restarts itself every time I even move my elbow on the desk. Sure, there's vibration, even a little moisture on the elbow does that. It restarted 8 times the other night and there is no excuse for that, Michigan or Arizona, weather should not be an issue.
Their website is antique .. they use images for both phone number and contact email, not links. I wrote them, more than a few times. It took three weeks writing their custsvc email for someone to get back to me.. and they got back to me on the PHONE. I didn't order this by phone so .... why would I expect someone interrupting my work day calling me on the phone wanting to give me numbers or listening to their BS? Email me, and sooner than THREE weeks. Let me call when it's convenient for ME, not convenient for the manufacturer. (turns out they only take calls 8-2, six hours, west coast time.) After THREE weeks I get a phonecall? NO. Not after writing a few times and three weeks later after I've added fans .... typical ... wait till the customer has modified then claim no responsibility.
MY chief complaints: (1) Video card was not screwed into place and was bouncing around in the case, possibly causing hardware problems. (2) 3 weeks response time. (3) Bothering me while I'm busy at work with clients .... on the PHONE instead of sending a courteous, apologetic email.
Why would I trust these people with an RMA situation that could take weeks?
Serious ... folks .... build your own or do better research than I did. These portatech folks are just ... 1980's.

sheilaj24
9/28/17

Just got all my parts setup and everything is up and running easier than I thought. This is the first big change I have made to my system in years and it was worth it. The items arrived well packed and ready to put right into my case. I decided to do a clean install and that may have also helped the speed. So far everything is as promised and I am very happy.

nicholasw22
3/12/16

This website claims to have "X4 5350", "X4 5150, "X4 3850", and "X2 2650" processors available for purchase, which is false, as they don't exist. These processors are actually called the "Athlon 5350", "Athlon 5150", "Sempron 3850", and "Sempron 2650". I could see how someone could make this mistake honestly, so I emailed the business and told them that these processors do not exist, and I was sure to mention that this is false advertising. Why does this matter? Because the X2 and X4 series processors by AMD are part of their midrange series, and the Athlon and Sempron processors are on the low end of things. Someone could buy one of these systems and expect midrange performance as you would get from an actual X4 processor, but instead get the low end performance that's found on Sempron and Athlon CPUs. I've received no email from them in response to this and they are still fraudulently advertising it. Also, by default, the website selects more expensive options of some things. For example, the website by default selects the more expensive PC case, rather than the one included in the price, and the user has to manually change it. They also include a "Platinum Delivery Plan" by default. These two things add $30 to the price. Plus there's not even much value here. You could get the same performance for slightly less by building your own PC, using the same parts.

Tip for consumers: Don't even bother, just build your own.

thomase21
10/20/15

I placed an order and never received the Barebone PC. They also over charged my credit card for shipping. It was supposed to be $23.98 but ended up being $31.88. They said I selected expedited shipping... Lmao... funny I never did receive what I ordered. I had to cancel the order and ask for a refund due to Porta Tech's negligence and bad business practices. Buyer beware!!!

sarahp59
6/10/14

Porta Tech has price watch on all of their computer supplies so I always know I am getting the best price. They have a nice selection of closeout specials that are deeply discounted too. Most of their items come with a 1 year warranty.

They SUCK. I wrote a long reason why. 3 weeks to answer an email, hardware not screwed down for shipping, etc.

By Carl R.
Questions? Get answers from the PortaTech staff and other customers.

PortaTech?