Pentagon Federal Credit Union

4.6 / 5
better business bureau logo
Better Business Bureau
1.2 / 5

Pentagon Federal Credit Union has a consumer rating of 1 star from 4 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Pentagon Federal Credit Union ranks 76th among Credit Cards sites.

How would you rate Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

“Website has the speed of a Snail”

Josh M.
9/26/20

I've been with PenFed several years only because of the higher than average credit card rewards. However, logging on and navigating the web site is painfully slow. Complaints about it being as slow as the old modem dial-up days falls on deaf ears. They always throw the issue back in your face telling you to clear your browsing history and other nonsense.

joshm541
September 26th, 2020

renin
September 23rd, 2020

My husband and I applied for a VA refinance in late May. At first we were given a laundry list of things that were needed. We immediately sent all the required documents to them and asked if there was anything else that was needed. The answer was no, and that it would be sent on for review. We were told that due to COVAD, the closing time would be August 2020. We again asked if there was anything we needed to get in the meantime and their reply was no. The date that our loan was expected to close, we got a another laundry list out of the blue that we again, returned promptly. I asked again how long the process would take and they told me "they were processing it now" and could not give an exact date. Then I get notice that our lock would expire and that I needed to sign paperwork that said I needed to pay points. (original application said there would be NO points!) We tried to call but couldn't get anywhere and they didn't return any of the calls during that time to discuss the matter. When I emailed them asking for someone higher up, I got a reply from them that they were still behind due to COVAD. Weeks went by and as of 9/23/2020, we are STILL waiting for our loan to process. NOW they want to rerun my credit since the timeframe on that has now expired. This will mean my credit will be dinged for their lack of response and my credit score will drop. We have a son with Leukemia, awaiting his second Bone Marrow transplant and after losing a child to Leukemia, the stress could not be any higher during this time and the excuses any more lamer. There is still NO closing date! NEVER in our life have we seen a company so slow. I have given them proof of our situation and they simply do not care in my opinion. With our application well over 100 days, God knows when it will get out of "processing". Other companies have found a way around COVAD to assist their customers while Penfed seems to have used it as an excuse. Homebuyers beware! UPDATE: Day 167 and STILL "In Processing"! I have called higher ups at Pentagon and have got little help. I cant switch and go to another without paying for appraisal and other requirements again or pay an attorney to fight them

thomass696
September 22nd, 2019

I live in San Francisco and I need an app that isnt slow and takes a week of sundays to load. Penfed is way to conservative with their loans I've been with them 4 years in good standing and they couldn't give me their best loan terms when I had an 800+ credit score! Theirs other places to get loans/credit cards from other than penfed that clearly are not stuck in the dark ages! I've share this with my techie friends and they laugh at the stupidity of this Credit Union. Even the robot are laughing how slow this place runs! It's a joke.

nayoungk1
July 7th, 2018

I'm staying out of state since last year and haven't used my penfed credit card for a long time. I never expected I have a transaction to pay.

I got their payment notice on Mar 23 for the first time regarding an unauthorized transaction which occurred on 2/3/2018.
That's why I had some interests ($0.56) besides the unauthorized transaction ($59.95).

There was no transaction activity to display online at that time and I had to make an international call (3/27/2018 7:38 pm) to check what happened.
The transaction was Thrivemarket at CA and I assumed someone else used mine because of my home address in FL.
That's why I cancel the previous credit card and the new statement finally showed up on Mar 29.

I filed the dispute form on 4/3/2018 but didn't get any response from penfed staffs. I had to contact ThriveMarket to cancel this transaction.

If I have a small interest and balance transfer from the previous credit card, it's their responsibility because they didn't email me on time and provided the transaction in detail after I made an expensive international phone call.

I have a very good credit score (over 800) and paid any purchase on time except this unauthorized transaction.

I have only one unauthorized transaction and all finance charges are related to this dispute. They emailed me you have 60 days from the time your credit statement cycles to dispute the transaction in question. You will not be responsible for paying the disputed item while we are investigating the charge, nor will you be charged finance
Charges during that time.

I don't mind to pay additional charges including delinquent charge ($21.34) but do mind their quality of customer service.

I assumed the dispute had done and interest charges on purchases have related to this dispute and should be removed after solving the problem. I emailed several times regarding this issue for several months but got all different answers from different staffs. Delinquent charges were removed and charged again WITHOUT explanation. Recently, I asked what's interests on purchases because I didn't activate my new credit card to purchase anything and they answered a few days ago I have to pay small interest which was NOT related to the dispute.

They deal with the customer and earn money like that which can be prevented from the very beginning. They were lazy to look up my statement in detail until I ask what's interest on purchases and just said sorry for inconvenience repeatedly without a soul.

Noone responded to my dispute after filing up the form and no sorry not to display unauthorized transaction until I made an international call. All staffs had different answers and noone let me know I have to pay small interest which was NOT related to the dispute after solving the dispute myself for such a long time.

Please be aware when you select this credit card.
Thank you for your time!

Tip for consumers:
I have other credit cards based on my credit score but had to wait for around 2 months to get penfed credit card. They keep saying some internal system errors delayed my application.

V E R Y hard to get anyone if you are applying for a mortgage. Followup is extremely poor.

By Reni N.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Pentagon Federal Credit Union staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

Have a question about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?