Review of PC Magazine

Tel: +1 512.342.8378
stephanie_mlot@pcmag.com

joes1035
1/25/19

Ordered an OLED TV and waited a week for it to ship. After numerous unanswered emails I filed a dispute through PayPal and they suddenly created a shipping label am hour after PayPal contacted them. They then proceeded to jerk me around for another few days before finally issuing a refund. This website is run by scam artists. You have been warned.

ronaldz17
11/30/18

I ordered a 65" LG OLED TV on shop.pcmag.com They immediately charged $2,249 to my credit card. Delivery was supposed to be three days. Four days later, I emailed (NOTE: They do not provide a Customer Service phone number - little wonder given my experience.) A bit later, I got an email stating the TV had shipped. I was overjoyed! But, that was false. I tried to track it, and FedEx had not received any shipment. The same thing the next day. And the next. And the next. Finally, after four days with the website stating my order had shipped, discovering each day (via FedEx - no way to talk to anyone at shop.pcmag.com) that that was not true, and concluding they had no intention of honoring and shipping my purchase, I disputed the credit card charge, cancelled the "order" and demanded my money back.

I'd give shop.pcmag.com zero stars if it were an option. I feel I was taken advantage of and have no reason to believe this is uncommon, especially in light of their direct email misrepresentation to me about having fulfilled and shipped my order when they hadn't. I will never deal with them again, and would never recommend anyone else do so either.

russells56
11/8/18

I ordered five PC's for my business that were warrantied for one year and PC MAG SHOP sent two broken computers and have been non-responsive when confronted with the problem.

By the way, no phone number and when you email them they respond in delayed fashion with hoops to jump through and then when you jump through those hoops - there are always more afterward. WOULD NEVER ORDER FROM THEM EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

SOMETIMES YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. JUNK.

karusunek
10/7/18

PC Magazine was at one time a well respected publication. Since other channels have garnered a status beyond their own, they have resorted to selling out their integrity for product placement and affiliate arrangements. They recently fired John C. Dvorak for producing an article based on facts about 5G. This shows they are not interested in publishing anything factual; they are only interested in the financial interests of their sponsors. Money over truth.

lisal547
9/28/18

If I could give them zero stars, I would be happy. I placed an order for a laptop on September 20, 2018. They created a FedEx label on September 24, 2018. I called FedEx today, and they have not even requested a pick up date. They happily charged my credit card on the 20th. Today is the 28th, and they have DONE NOTHING! I am reporting them to the BBB.

kylem201
9/24/18

It has undergone a long and steady downhill tread primarily over the last decade. Re-examine the editing.

mikes1122
8/21/18

Two weeks ago I bought an LG V35 ThinQ from AT&T. After about 10 days the phone started dropping calls, applications started shutting down, Android Auto ceased to work and the finger print pad is, at best spotty. To my surprise, LG has not provided AT&T (at least not the direct AT&T store I used) with any cases or screen protectors. When I called to have my phone replaced LG responded by saying, "We do not have a product warranty." They continued with, "you can send the phone to us and in a few weeks we'll decide whether we can fix it, but we will not replace it." I should have known when they offered a $400.00 credit just to purchase the phone that it was a Lemon. Now I have to pay 30 months for a phone that is best served in the garbage.

Note - LG denied my review 15 times, stating ad blocker issues. I turned all off and tried the review on 4 browsers.

Sorry PCMag, but they will not allow this review...

peterh240
1/17/18

Yesterday I foolishly acted upon the advice given by PC Magazine and purchased 12 months backup storage from I Drive. This purchase entitles me to 2000gb of storage. My entire computer storage amounts to just under 42gb. It has now been 22hours and only 2.2gb of data has been uploaded. My conclusion is that the service is not fit for purpose. When I made the purchase I had to confirm where the recommendation came from so can only conclude that PC Magazine get a commission, which brings me to question the validity of their recommendations. Now looking on Trust Pilot the reviews from users are similar to mine most think the service provided by I Drive is poor.
I have requested to cancel the service and asked for a full refund, but have been told that there is nothing wrong at their end and the problem must lie with to quote "The speed of the backup completely depends on the following factors:
1. Network Traffic at the time of backup.
2. Bandwidth provided by your Internet Service Provider.
3. The speed of your Internet connection.
4. The total size of the backup set."

Take my advice and never make a purchase on the strength of a PC Magazine review.

Peter Hulme

Tip for consumers: Take PC Mag reviews with a pinch od salt

eduardom42
12/30/17

HostGator is a terrible hosting solution. If PC Magazine is suggesting HostGator, this website is untrustable.

syeda72
11/11/17

The site is very useful. various types of information they provide. it's really amazing.
If you want to buy a new paper shredder for first use, feel free to browse through our reviews to find the perfect model for you. We absolutely understand that selecting the best paper shredder can be somewhat of a challenge, due to hundreds of paper shredders on the market. Or, if you are already the happy owner of a paper shredder, feel free to have a read through our collection of reviews, how to choose best one, comparison charts and informative articles from here.
Either way, be sure to join in the fun, open mind community and become lovely friends!

Tip for consumers: https://goo.gl/X9CVR1

dirtys
10/19/16

Not sure if it was the popup autoplay video, the side scrolling gif banner, the flashing side bar ads or the automatically scrolling page attempting to fit more ads on the page, but I couldn't read the content without mild nausea and rapid eye twitches. This appears to be what happens when marketing dept leads the website design team?

kimmyb2
8/31/15

I'm reading it from time to time. Is PC Gamer a part of this magazine?

clementc11
8/4/15

An informative website on PC matters. I am a regular visitor of this website.

joec112
7/10/15

I just recently stumbled across some pc magazine articles and it must be the fox news of tech sites. The articles are very biased and their mobile site is very imposing. Not to mention they don't have comments that I could find on their articles which is why I came to this site.

saraw27
11/19/14

Excellent! My fave for RC reading. Recommended to others

Sara

anthonyp31
2/13/14

So the info they have on their site is not only free but very useful. I'm not complaining about their reviews but just one aspect of the site, "Deal Of The Day". As I write pcmag has advertised a Dell Venue 8 16gb tablet for $129 with their Coupon Code. When trying to use the code your sent to Dell.com who states the code is unredeemable. After chatting with Dell customer service they state they have no control over third party deals. And there was no way to reach pcmag's customer service. So not only was the deal invalid on pcmag but I wasted a lot of my own pwesonal time. I will say this about Dell, their customer service was great.

valavanurs
7/9/13

Very Useful

I have been reading PCMag.com for many years now and find it a valuable resource.

The site has good coverage of both desktop and mobile technologies.

They're not as strong on news as TechCrunch but I find PCMag.com more useful for their reviews, tips and good coverage of security topics and Windows.

Overall, PCMag.com is a good site to keep on your toolbar for frequent visits.

anitap3
4/18/13

The Web site for PC Magazine includes everything the magazine has built its name on: hands-on product reviews from our PC Magazine Labs, expert commentary from some of the biggest names in the biz, and breaking tech news.

torryl
11/28/12

PC Magazine has always been my favorite information source.. Love it

ronk
1/21/10

The web site I've provided is simply a link to PC Magazine article on how terribly passwords are selected. The most common password revealed, from a hacked web site, was "123456", literally. The exact URL for the article is:
"http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358273,00.asp" (without the quotations).

I have a suggestion for creating a very secure 'universal password', easily remembered, and assuredly a safer password that what most use - perhaps yourself.

The best passwords have no pattern, are alpha-numeric, and the longer (12-15 characters) the better. However the prospect of deciding on such a phrase, easily recalled - but so difficult to crack, can be daunting.

Try this: Take a piece of information (perhaps an old address that you won't forget) I'll make one up as example: "1584westanywherestreetsandiegocalifornia". Read that carefully and you'll see it's an address. First, that's a nice "long" series of characters. Secondarily it's alpha-numeric, the safest type of password. Here's a trick to make that address harder to crack.

By selecting (or un-selecting - the OPPOSITE of your default keyboard setup - play with this to be sure!) the "Num-Lock" key (one tap), the above address becomes: "1584westanywherestreetsand5eg6ca35f6rn5a". Note the changes in the latter part of that address.That information has been sufficiently "garbled" to be a much more secure password, certainly than what most people use.

Take some time with a text doc., or a Word document, and play with different unforgettable strings of information. Once you've decided on a long string, but a memorable string, play with the Num Lock key and see how it changes the data.

After a bit of fine tuning, you should have an near worry-free password, very hard to crack, created simply by hitting "num-Lock" before typing it.

If you're curious what the Num Lock key does, how it works on different keyboards and computers, you can Google that and get answers. Right now, it's sufficient to jump into a safer universal password you can stop worrying about.

bobbyk
7/17/09

I have been reading PC magazine for years and like many magazines these days it is essentially free. I think I pay something like a 75 cents an issue and that is well worth keeping up on the latest and greatest PC information. The magazine gears itself towards PC enthusiasts while not alienating those who are less tech savvy. My girlfriend who knows nothing of technology used my PC magazine to help her select a digital camera while I have used it to help guide me on overclocking my CPU. PC magazine is also useful for topics that are not directly PC related as they have a wealth of information on HDTV, cell phones, etc...I almost think they should change their name to something besides PC magazine as it is so much more than that. I have read the magazine for years, but oddly enough I never went to their website until just recently. In the past I have used cnet.com for my shareware downloads and tech product information. After doing a quick look at their site, it seems that PC magazine online doesn't have the vast amount of information that cnet has on products or in their download section, but what they do have is much better written and more informative. I see they have the digital version of PC magazine available as well, and I'm not as big of a fan of digital media. If I am on my laptop and have wifi, I would rather just go to their website. If I am on a plane or do not have access to wifi, I much prefer my traditional paper PC magazine.

Questions? Get answers from the PC Magazine staff and other customers.

1 Photo for PC Magazine