Review of Material World

Tel: +1-866-674-5842
info@materialworld.co

cf117
5/24/19

Literally the worst of the subscription boxes. I've tried numerous services and have always been satisfied with the clothing. Material World is quite the opposite. I received clothes that was completely the wrong size (I went back and verified that I had entered the correct information on my profile, I had. The stylist just put clothes that were the wrong size in the box.) and that were completely out of season. I reached out for support several times before I actually heard anything back from them. Overall, this was an incredibly disappointing experience - from the clothes to the customer service, overall it's just bad.

jills249
5/14/19

I've been using this company's subscription service for awhile now, and the majority of the time I actually buy all 5 items from the Box. Sometimes I've only gotten like 3 or 4 of the items from the Box but I'm usually really happy with the curations. My last Box I splurged on two items outside of my usual price range for Material World but they were such a great value it was worth it

kellys469
5/10/19

So I just signed up and I got my first material box and I was so excited! I wanted some cute casual pieces but I also wanted some really fun accessories and my stylist delivered. I got this really fun alexander wang dress, reformation jean jacket, a pair of frame jeans, this really cute bag from rebecca minkoff and some sunnies from chloe. I was so happy! Everything was really good prices, but for my budget I only kept the bag and dress but I'm excited to see what i'll get next.

jacquelineg84
5/9/19

I signed up because I like the idea of having some shop for me. I've had a couple of different stylists and some of them get my style completely but then I've had other stylists who don't. I guess it depends on who you get matched up with. I will say that when I asked for another stylist it was super easy and giving feedback helped but there are definetly times when I like one of my boxes alot and buy alot from it while other times I only buy 1 thing.

mandyg37
5/8/19

I really wanted to like this company. I gave it two boxes before giving up. The first box was filled with items that were BLATANTLY NOT in line with what I told them my style was: statement pieces, bright colors, no sleeveless items. I received drab neutral basics, tanks, and dresses my grandma would wear.
For the second box, I spoke with my "stylist" and made my wants clear. The pieces initially picked for me ALSO DID NOT align with any of my requests: more tanks, strappy dresses, etc. Being horribly disappointed, I selected 5 mystery items per the recommendation from their online support team. What I received was AGAIN drab basics, more t-shirts, and sunglasses that looked horrible with my face type. Needless to say I canceled my subscription after opening the second box.

nicolek129
5/7/19

I've sent this company two shipments and was pleased overall with the results. Be familiar with the resale world so that you won't be too disappointed with their offer. Most of my designer items were purchased from resale store for next to nothing so I've basically been able to make 4x what I've spent.

kimc413
5/7/19

ive used places to sell my clothes before at buffalo exchange and I didn't love it so when I heard about material world I figured I would see what it was about. It was pretty easy, I got a free label and sent my stuff in. It took about 1 month or so for them to give me an offer but I was able to transfer the money to my paypal account which was convenient. I'm used to having to wait for my items to sell at other resell places.

iveliessem
5/7/19

Please do not engage in this service. They charged my credit card two charges that I did not authorized. In addition, I sent two pieces of clothing which I never received any payment for. It's a scam.

christinar156
5/5/19

I've gotten 2 boxes so far. The first one I didn't end up buying anything just because of fit issues but then the second one I got I bought 3 pieces. I sent an email to my stylist because I was going to be traveling and wanted some things for my trip, and she did a great job finding me stuff so I was pretty happy. I'll see how my next box is once I get back from my trip

rachelh246
5/3/19

I've tried both their subscription service and when you can sell things and both services have been great for me. I like shopping designer but don't want to spend too much money, so their material boxes have been great for me. I tried other boxes too like stitch fix, but didn't love the brands they sent. When I have too much in my closet from shopping, I sell it to them. Sometime it takes awhile to get my offer for my clothes but at least I get the money from it fast and sometimes shop my box from it. I think it's good if you don't want to spend too much but want quality items.

sarahr317
5/2/19

I tried my first box and I liked it. I didn't love everything but for the most part I felt like it matched my style. I bought one thing. A kate spade top that was like $30 after the styling fee I already paid. I'm gonna try it again!

laurap330
4/30/19

I signed up for material box because I like to shop but feel like I have not had time to find anything for myself so I figured I would try this out. I've received 3 Boxes so far and I feel like my stylist gets my style, actually so much it kind of feels like one of my friends went shopping for me. I usually by at least 2 or 3 items from my Box each time. Not everything always fits or is something I need but it's so fun to get a monthly surprise so I love to get my box.

Tip for consumers: Update your style profile and let your stylist know what you are looking for in your next box at checkout. It's helped me make sure that I get what I want in my box.

barbaram627
4/30/19

I've gotten some amazing pieces from them like a vintage Givenchy jacket and white Acne ankle boots for less than $100. I gave them a 4 since sometimes I do get old clothing that feel outdated, but it's probably a given when they are circulating only used fashion from other customers.

jenniferm1120
4/28/19

Great first experience. I was out of town when the box arrived. Thankfully your wonderful customer service worked with my schedule to give me extra time. As far as the clothing, I LOVED the style of this entire box! The pieces I'm returning are purely due to fit :( The Raf Simmons shirt was very very cute, and I love prints, but the fit was a little too boxy on me. The Rag and Bone Jeans were also up my ally, but the fit was a bit too tight in certain areas. It was an overall fun experience and I am excited to see what comes next month!!

kimv125
4/27/19

I signed up for the first box just to try it out and got a box of stuffs that weren't my style and extremely bad conditions (old/worn out stuffs). But hey, whatever, at least I tried. Returned the box and decided to cancel the account. I put the account on hold for two months before the next payment was supposed to come out while I tried emailing them to cancel the subscription. Well, almost 10 days later, and NO RESPONSE! And guess what, they took my account off the hold and charged me for the next box!!! Must've seen that email so decided to try to scam whatever charges they can put through to see if they would be able to get away with it. Emailed them twice again and have yet to hear from them so now I have to dispute it with my bank. DON'T BOTHER TO EVEN SIGN UP OR YOU'LL GET SCREWED!!

kaitlynb24
4/27/19

For someone like myself who hates going out and shopping, this service was PERFECT! I recently received my first box and absolutely loved the entire experience. My stylist really understood exactly I was looking for. I especially loved that I was able to preview the items before getting them in the mail. On top of all of that, the prices were a steal. How can you not love it?

amys602
4/27/19

I have been using material box for quite some time now and so far it has been an overall great experience. I can update my preferences each month and an actual stylist (not a robot) listens to all my requests. The best part is that i get to preview the box before it's shipped out and pick my favorite 5 items. I pay online for what i keep and i return the rest with shipping free both ways!! I was also able to pause my box (right from my account) this month because i was traveling to Paris. I highly recommend trying this service if you want to receive luxury for a fraction of the retail price!

jessicac471
4/24/19

THE CLOTHES THEY SEND ARE DISGUSTING ! OLD AND JUST PLAN GROSS ! I HAVE TRIED THREE TIMES TO CANCLE THEY DO NOT HAVE A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL TO CANCEL AND THEY DO NOT RESPOND TO YOUR EMAILS. YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR PAYMENT METHOD IF YOU WANT TO. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY THEY SUCK ALL THE WAY AROUND.. THEY NOT WORTH IT YOU CAN GET THE SAME CLOTHING AT GOODWELL IM SURE..

doras43
4/24/19

I have been subscribing to Material Box for the past year or so and have really enjoyed my experience so far. I have rejected a few items for fit or style, my stylist always takes my feedback into account for my next box. I have been able to get several NWT or like new dresses from Reformation, A.L.C., and Parker in the $70 - $110 range. I recently splurged and got an amazing suede Burberry Brit moto jacket for $320. The original value would have been well over $1000, so $320 was actually a steal. I have also been trying to send in a few items to trade in every time I receive a box. The payout hasn't been that high for clothing, but it's convenient. I have also been using my trade-in credit towards my box purchases whenever possible. I get additional credit for shopping with my trade-in credit so all-in-all it's very convenient and a smart way to shop for designer pieces. A fun way to continually refresh my closet!

megs56
4/19/19

I signed up for their subscription box a few months ago and honestly I had great boxes. Recently I got a pair of J brands capri jeans for $70 and I've been wearing it almost everyday! Sometimes sizing and fit doesn't work but usually they send me styles and brands I like. I haven't used their selling service but I may try it.

amyj197
4/12/19

I am still waiting for my first box to arrive to TBD if there are any issues with the actual service, but I need to report that there is a major data security problem with this company. My sister signed up for this at the same time I did and sent me the link she used. When i clicked on it, it allowed me to enter her account from my work computer 200 miles away (which she has never used) WITHOUT ENTERING A PASSWORD. I had access to all her credit card and personal information through the website. Do not trust this company with your data!!

micheller395
4/1/19

They are a scam.Charged my CC then said the box arrived. It didint. Then they sent it a week later. Cheap, old, used clothes. I sent it straight back. Still have not recieved my refund of over $300. Not even a phone number to call on the site. Do not order from this.

saraw155
3/20/19

I was so excited about my box, which should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm just going to send it right back because F these people. I haven't received my first box yet and yet my account was charged $200. I sent an email but they haven't responded. WTH, how do I get my money back!? I'm so confused. My grandmother just passed away, I have to leave for work in 20 min, and now I have to deal with this. THANKS material world for LITERALLY NOTHING. They stole my money.

katem210
3/20/19

Wat a huge waste of time filing out that questionnaire.

Also, in the questionnaire, I chose conceptual brands from THEIR list like Junya Wantanabe, Comme de Garçons, and Margiela. They offered Milly, Tibi, and Kate Spade...wtf.

chstm
3/19/19

I received my box on March 11th at 11:30am and send it back in March 11th at 6pm. I was told I had 4 days to try clothes on but I decided within an few hours what I wanted. Over the last few days I have sent around 5 emails because I kept getting notices that my box hasn't been returned (even though I could see the tracking and I used their prepaid return label). I emailed concerned they would charge me for the entire box and the rep stated I wouldn't, in my email I send them the tracking number and I sent this information to two different email addresses that are listed on their website. Fast forward to today and I was charged for the entire box...even tho I picked one item from the five they send me and I already pic for that one item. The quality of clothing was but the cost seemed a bit higher than I expected and the inconsistency reguarding the communication has been below standard, over promise and under deliver has been my experience.

I've been waiting since October 18 for an offer. Two months, minimum.

By Mary K.

They accepted brands that no one else accepted. However, they are very slow and unresponsive. Bad customer service.

By Mary K.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER!! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Questions? Get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Material World