Material World

Material World has a consumer rating of 4.54 stars from 798 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Material World also ranks 2nd among Used Clothing sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 5 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 89.6%

• Thankfully your wonderful customer service worked with my schedule to give me extra time.
  • I have been subscribing to Material Box for the past year or so and have really enjoyed my experience so far.

• I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark.
  • Of course there is no phone number on their website...UGH
How would you rate Material World?

“Love my Material Boxes!”

Dora S.
4/24/19

I have been subscribing to Material Box for the past year or so and have really enjoyed my experience so far. I have rejected a few items for fit or style, my stylist always takes my feedback into account for my next box. I have been able to get several NWT or like new dresses from Reformation, A.L.C., and Parker in the $70 - $110 range. I recently splurged and got an amazing suede Burberry Brit moto jacket for $320. The original value would have been well over $1000, so $320 was actually a steal. I have also been trying to send in a few items to trade in every time I receive a box. The payout hasn't been that high for clothing, but it's convenient. I have also been using my trade-in credit towards my box purchases whenever possible. I get additional credit for shopping with my trade-in credit so all-in-all it's very convenient and a smart way to shop for designer pieces. A fun way to continually refresh my closet!

“A MASSIVE waste of time”

Jessica A.
1/3/19

I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark. I was so wrong. It took months to get my offer after sending in my clothes, the offers were ridiculously low ($23 for a pristine Valentino dress?? $9 for a nearly-new, once-worn Ted Baker skirt???), and worst of all, they charge a $2 return fee to ship things back that you don't want to donate or for them to buy. Unfortunately I sent them a ton of stuff in my first shipment so it would have actually cost me $36 to have it all shipped back. I ended up just cashing out the very little they offered me and decided to spend the time writing reviews on as many websites as possible. Seriously, don't even waste your time.

customer service (18) material box (11) items (62) style quiz (5) phone number (5) promo code (6) styling fee (5) better business bureau (6) 2 months (4) 4 days (4) style profile (5) 3 items (3)
tessf4
June 12th, 2020
Verified purchase
So far so good. You should always follow up to make sure your customers are satisfied with their order.
Reason I chose this business: I saw the Christian Louboutins being advertised for $220!
antonys25
April 16th, 2020
Verified purchase
It seems thorough however I'm anxious to see how a stylist can make this work. I'm excited!
Reason I chose this business: I saw ads and I liked the products that I saw...
rachele240
February 10th, 2020
Verified purchase
This seems like an amazing styling company that really cares about getting me exactly what I want while giving me the freedom to try new things
Reason I chose this business: Promo code for 1$ box
lisaw755
January 16th, 2020
Verified purchase
Signing up was uncomplicated. There seemed to be a fair amount of questions regarding my style so that I feel comfortable a MW Stylist has a general idea of what I like and dislike. I would not have minded additional questions (with examples) to narrow down my likes/dislikes further including color selection, fit, and style preferences.
Reason I chose this business: I shop on Poshmark and am a member of Nordstrom Trunk Club and enjoy both, MW seemed like the perfect combination of the two.
natalial28
January 10th, 2020
Verified purchase
Really interesting survey, I think adding maybe a what you don't want in the pictures is a good idea when you're asking about which are your fave shirts etc bc some of them I didn't find great.
carolinel124
March 26th, 2020
I sent in a trade-in and over the course of 2 weeks, I emailed the company multiple times about my offer not being ready yet and the automated emails kept coming back to me saying "your offer will be ready in 3-5 days". I have not heard anything from the office yet nor have I received my package back. I am outraged by their horrible level of customer service.
matthisp4
January 13th, 2020
Verified purchase
really seamless and the questionnaire was VERY detailed. these were all questions I would ask someone as a stylist - I took it upon myself to also add in style influencers/people whose style I admire because that also helps give a better/full scope of understanding :)
Reason I chose this business: keep seeing cool IG ads - you got me!
briem9
January 10th, 2020
Verified purchase
Would like to have been offered a promo code vs just seeing a space for it- always make me think I'm missing out.
Reason I chose this business: My friend texted me the link- FYI- Wouldn’t mind text follow up after order but NOT email so I answered “no” to the next question.
chinweo
January 23rd, 2020
Verified purchase
So far the experience is exciting. I am hoping to see great items in my box.
Reason I chose this business: They are offering items of my taste and style so hoping for it
alanae9
January 19th, 2020
Verified purchase
I initially signed up on my phone and completed the questionnaire online. I didn't select to request my box on my phone. I later looked at the website on the computer and had a little bit of a difficult time figuring out how to review my questionnaire before I hit the submit payment button. I just realized I had to select 'Back' all the way through the questionnaire. It worked out, but was a little tricky.
Reason I chose this business: Facebook ad
kirstena23
January 31st, 2020
Verified purchase
LOVE how many questions were asked to really get to know my style and what I like
Reason I chose this business: Got a promo email
sabrenah1
May 24th, 2020
Verified purchase
It's actually fun I needed to spunk up my outfits and haven't really gotten the chance to. When I read about this on Instagram and my best friend sent me the link I was like yeah I'm going to try it out.
Reason I chose this business: Because I needed to update my closet and this was affordable
robync93
March 1st, 2020
Verified purchase
It's been successful. I'm interested in a minimal style. I'm 62 I do not wear "old lady" clothes However I do not wear young women's clothing either. Looking forward to see what is in my box
maryq6
July 1st, 2020
Verified purchase
Easy to navigate! loved being able to choose up to 3 items, and the pink box outlines
Reason I chose this business: Someone reached out to me, and I loved what the brand stands for with sustainability
hannahw184
July 5th, 2020
Verified purchase
I felt like the questions that asked were really good and opened ended. I felt super comfortable.
Reason I chose this business: I saw an old friend who I really admire her style liked you on Facebook.
marlym4
March 4th, 2020
Verified purchase
The selection experience was good, I'm just afraid that I'm going to receive a box full of weird clothing or nonsense
Reason I chose this business: I really wanna extend my style and try something new or have someone pick out things maybe I wouldn’t of think of
shakearaa
April 18th, 2020
Verified purchase
The selection was super easy and the items look amazing. I was super thrilled when I received an email offer for $1 box. My first box is on the way!!
Reason I chose this business: To open up my clothing items in my closet and try different patterns
emilyc329
January 8th, 2020
Verified purchase
Material world is such an amazing opportunity for those who want to be sustainable while shopping designer. The process to specify our style is simple but descriptive.
laurar918
January 16th, 2020
Verified purchase
It was really easy to set up and get my box on the way. I would have liked more options for pictures in the original picks.
Reason I chose this business: I have seen the Facebook ad for a while and thought the items looked professional.
tarajeea
April 7th, 2020
Verified purchase
Everything has been lovely and the entire process is simple and they really go out of their way here for provide that experience for customers .
Reason I chose this business: I felt that it would be benefit me to be styled personally and I would enjoy shopping on here.
mechelleb7
March 29th, 2020
Verified purchase
There is no where on the website to indicate a preference for petite clothing. Based on prior experience with similar services, that could prove to be a problem
But, I'm open minded and looking forward to my first box.
Reason I chose this business: FB ad promises designer items at a frattion of retail cost.
paytenb
March 16th, 2020
Verified purchase
Sight works well but buttons to the next page are a little hard to push
Reason I chose this business: It seems like a great company and I love the option to purchase vintage pieces. The Instagram ads are really cute and engaging.
rieonnab
April 29th, 2020
Verified purchase
They asked very in depth questions to ensure I'll like the items in my box.
Reason I chose this business: I saw an ad a while ago and it seemed like something I’d be interested in trying. And for only $29?
lissetteg9
July 1st, 2020
Verified purchase
I like that I emailed to ask a question and was answered the next day
Reason I chose this business: The fact that I will receive designer pieces that are up to 90% off
annikar3
March 7th, 2020
Verified purchase
Reason I chose this business: Was contacted by a team member, but I am very impressed :)

They accepted brands that no one else accepted. However, they are very slow and unresponsive. Bad customer service.

By Mary K.
See more answers (2)

They received my box end of August. It is now 10/9 and still no offer. Called and they said they are running behind. Wish I never sent anything in.

By Sunny H.
See more answers (2)

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I just did.

By Lise S.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER!! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

jonathanl188
Adam G.
Marketing / PR
Typically responds within 5 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Material World?

Have a question about Material World?