Review of Material World

Material World reviews

Tel: 1.866.674.5842

xiangyuc
1/11/19

I used it 2 years ago, and it was good, quick turnaround. But this time, after they received my bag in Nov, now 2 months passed, I got nothing. I emailed and checking the status, they replied back and says there's some delay, and the time it takes to offer is about 30 business days.Even with holidays in between, how many business days are there in 2 months? I'm still waiting for my offer, will keep update this.

karens826
1/10/19

I first tried material world when they started - it was a quick turnaround offered within week .
Now years later I sent them 10 items , they received my package on November 1st - sent an email saying it would be 20-30 days before offer. Well it's now January 10th and I still have not received anything . i have emailed multiple times and they respond quickly saying that they are having delays. Last time they said I would receive my offer in 2-3 days . Well that was 2 1/2 weeks ago- don't waste your time

jessicaa251
1/3/19

I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark. I was so wrong. It took months to get my offer after sending in my clothes, the offers were ridiculously low ($23 for a pristine Valentino dress?? $9 for a nearly-new, once-worn Ted Baker skirt???), and worst of all, they charge a $2 return fee to ship things back that you don't want to donate or for them to buy. Unfortunately I sent them a ton of stuff in my first shipment so it would have actually cost me $36 to have it all shipped back. I ended up just cashing out the very little they offered me and decided to spend the time writing reviews on as many websites as possible. Seriously, don't even waste your time.

laurenb207
1/2/19

I couldn't believe how low my offers were. Tory Burch dress, $14. Bought it from them a few months back for $86. This ended up costing me a fortune in clothing. I am so sad that I trusted them. It took over 2 months to even have my box looked at and then the offers were not even worth it. out of 18 items I got $60.14. Will never do business with them again.

maryk575
12/19/18
• Updated review

So, they finally responded with low offers. I asked for several items to be returned; the website indicated that there would be no charge ( as in the past) for returns. Then I received a message saying that there would be a charge for returns. Also, the site used to offer the option of converting funds to Paypal or trade. No longer! You have to email the to tell them that you want funds deployed to Pay Pal.
I will no longer work with material world and I encourage -- warn -- you not to.

“DO NOT USE MATERIAL WORLD”
12/14/18
• Previous review

The last bag of items I sent on October 19 have still not been processed. The offers are extremely low and the customer service stinks. Try REAL REAL instead; it's consignment but the return is much greater. For example, MW offered me $8 for Etro wool pants; I rejected the offer (along with several others) and the pants are now listed on REAL REAL for $75. Also, try your local consignment stores; their return is much better. Once I've finalized this last transaction with MW, I will never work with them again.

sashak21
12/14/18

You are better off selling your items on Poshmark or even Crossroads Trading! They are telling me that my BRAND NEW items are showing signs of wear?! They are clearly clueless! Don't waste your time and energy with them.

hs120
12/3/18

I sent 30-some pieces, mostly Eileen Fisher, Vince and Theory. They accepted 24 pieces and gave good prices. Great experience. The wait time was a week or two longer than they originally estimated.

lesliej70
11/20/18

This site is a scam and will be out of business in no time. They are short on cash and inventory so they gut you on your $ "offer" and yet need your inventory to survive. I received an "offer" well past the 40 days they say it takes and they "LOST" a YSL dust bag and the control tag for my handbag, "LOST" a garment bag for a brand new tags on shearling vest, ripped the tags off a silk dress, and managed to stick hang tags (read: holes) in every single item I sent. Without my consent. Net-a-Porter tags on clothing were cut off a dress. My brand new cardboard box was returned split in half with my clothing balled up and falling out of the actual box, which was held together with tape.

And the offer is laughable- like $10 and $12 for things that you can easily sell for 5x that on other sites. And customer service? They have one intern and she takes all the calls. No one answers emails or calls you back, probably because they are busy trying to find a real job instead of working at this failing business. There are lots of sites to resell clothing and bags on... stick with the better ones and skip this!

Tip for consumers: Just don't use them... read all the reviews and you'll know why

helliz
10/6/18

Kept my items over 40 days; no customer service or whatsoever; beyond insulting prices from brand new items with tags, « failed » to authenticate items with Nordtrom's price tag on! LOL then charges to return the items which was not mentioned!!! I think this company makes their $$ off of the return fee not the actual purchase; they corner you with such ridiculous prices that your only choice is pay to get them back! And I have to pay $60 to deal with all this crap! What a scam! Don't waste your time!

rmo1
10/6/18

I sent 5 items to try out the service. I sent a $600 Burberry skirt. They offered me $10. My Valentino dress they said they couldn't authenticate it. Huh? They don't accept Dolce & Gabbana, nor Escada, nor Longchamp. Never again!

erinm269
10/5/18

I am not one to usually bother with bad reviews, but I originally requested a Material World packet on July 23 and just received an offer for my items on October 3! Furthermore, I had a brand new YSL tote which retails for $1100 (it was too small for my laptop) among the items and they offered me $90 for it. Now I have to pay shipping to get the items back. I called to see if this was typical and their own customer service gal recommended Poshmark instead!

jillg86
8/23/18

The prices offered for NWT clothing were insulting. Could easily sell same items for much more since brand new. Total waste of time!

brittanys142
7/26/18

It took a full 10 business days to receive the trade in bag. Once I sent my bag they sent me an email within a couple of days saying that they received it but it would take 20-30 business days for them to make me an offer, longer than their normal turnaround time.

I realize now that I probably should have just taken the time and sold the stuff myself, as It was only 3 items. Hoping I get a reasonable offer and it will make this long process worth it, but the waiting game continues. 6 weeks and counting!

lauran49
5/16/18

Waited 4 weeks to get an offer (on only 6 out of 20 items sent btw). Most of the items are are just listed as 'unable to make a competitive offer'. Really, you wasted my time for that BS???!!! If u want to be offered $9 for barely used $600+ retail items this is the place for you, especially since they don't bother to make offers on most of your items anyway.

I've been waiting since October 18 for an offer. Two months, minimum.

By Mary K.

They accepted brands that no one else accepted. However, they are very slow and unresponsive. Bad customer service.

By Mary K.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER!! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Questions? Get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Material World