Review of Material World

Material World reviews

Tel: 1.866.674.5842

maryk606
3/18/19

I ordered a box with them on Wednesday 3/13. On Thursday 3/14, I was able to pick out the items, and by Friday 3/15, they have sent me a tracking number. The idea is that you get 4 days to try on the items and then return whatever you don't want. Well, today, 3/18, I get an email saying that they didn't receive any items from me so they CHARGED ME FOR THE ENTIRE BOX. Keep in mind that I DON'T have the freakin box so I couldn't have returned something that wasn't even gd sent to me yet.

I sent them an email but I will for sure be unsubscribing. (Oh, by the way, you have to email them to unsubscribe, so we'll see how responsive their email service is. What a horrible excuse for a company).

melissag320
3/16/19

I wish I could give them a zero. This company has been a nightmare from start to finish. Claiming that I have not sent clothes back, when I have insisted they check again, lol and behold they all of a sudden find them!! They are very unorganized and money is consistently being taken out of my account without permission. Do not use this company!

cocos12
3/14/19

I sent a box in. They received it months ago and they acknowledged that fact, but only because I keep asking them about it. Not because when I sign into my account it shows up as received nor have they given me an offer. It's been 3 months. They keep telling me I'll receive an offer In 10 days or in 1 day but I have never heard anything from them nor do they communicate with me unless I begin communicating with them first.
It's a scam at best, robbery of high priced brands at least, I'm pretty sure they just ripped me off.

nataliyaz
3/13/19

The box you will receive is nothing like they advertise. I was expecting to see some designer items - what was the point of this extensive questionaire/ I indicated the items I clerly NEVER wanted to receive - the preview showed at least three items from my "no way" list. I emailed right away asking to stop the shipment and 12 hours later I got a reply 'sorry you did not like your box" with an offer to change the stylist and "pause" for a month and the next email was 'your box is on the way". I am so pissed. It's impossible to cancel!

brittneyh18
3/10/19

I purchased a box through them. The preview options were so ugly or things I wouldn't wear. I really wanted a designer bag but didn't even get an option for accessories or handbags. The clothes were awful that I had to choose from and they wouldn't even let me cancel.

fumagallia
3/6/19

1. On items worth retail $5,000 or $3,000 on sale or $1,000 pre owned they will offer $200.

2. Takes one month for them to go through your few little items (I sent 7)

3. You have to pay 2$ per item to shoot them back to you.

4. Customer service is unavailable over the phone and takes about 48-72 hours to get a response

angelag199
3/1/19

Where to even begin. Do not send them your items unless you like crappy customer service and you want to be offered pennies on the dollar after waiting 3 plus months for the offer. What kind of company doesn't have a way to speak with someone. This site is a fraud. The real real is a better bet

arielc44
2/27/19

I decided to use a print-at-home mailing label to send items to Material World to possibly Trade-In. Material World's website states that you can change your mind until you accept a cash offer - so no risk to you. According to UPS Material World received my shipment on 2/12/2019. However, on February 22 I received a second message from Material World indicating they had not received my package. This caused me great concern. I tried to call the company, but their phone number leads to an automated message stating that Material World cannot be contacted by phone - a major red flag. I then obtained documentation from UPS confirming Material World received my package, and sent that documentation to Material World with a request that Material World return my items to me immediately, as I was no longer interested in participating in their Trade-In program. Material World then sent me a generic message about Trade-Ins, but also refused to return my items. I reiterated my request that my items be returned to me. I also made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Material World has now sent me a tracking number they purport to be my items being returned to me, but they have also sent a message to the Better Business Bureau indicating they have resolved my issue (even though I have no way of knowing that until I receive my shipment and verify my items have all been returned to me in their original condition) and have attacked me personally - quite frankly their response was disappointing, both rude and unprofessional. Attacking a customer personally and insinuating the customer is illiterate is not appropriate. Stay away from Material World.

jessicar377
2/21/19

I spent a long time filling out my profile on sizing, what I was looking for, etc. and it was ignored. I sent this feedback in the comments and didn't select anything to be shipped. I think I should be able to see a second selection if my information was blatantly ignored -items 4 sizes (!!) too big were put in my selection. But now I'm being sent a box which I have no idea what's in it. What a waste of time.

kristik40
2/19/19

Seems like people are having issues consigning with Material World but no issues with the shipments here. I kept a stunning pink Burberry scarf and returned the rest easily. It was received back in two days. I was able to choose what I wanted before it even shipped. I love it, I am def staying! All the clothing sent is like brand new! Thanks!

wendyl86
2/15/19

I've consigned with Material World for years, back when their payout method was through their Fashion Trade-In Card. I had a few hundred dollars on that Trade-In Card. Recently, they discontinued use of the Fashion Trade-In Card, and supposedly mailed checks to consignors who still had a balance remaining on their cards. Well guess what - I never got that check. And it's been a nightmare trying to get someone at Material World to help. They blamed the issuing bank for sending it to the wrong address. Ok fine. Then how about sending it to the correct address where I currently reside? It's not rocket science. Despite them promising me that "they're looking into it," I still don't have my check. Be careful if you decide to consign with them. They are frauds.

rivkaj
2/3/19

They take forever (literally over 2 months) to "make an offer" and it will be obscenely low, even if you have the most perfect clothes from top brands. The offers were so terrible that I ended up having to pay them just to get my clothes back. Simply awful and deceitful practices. Wish I had seen some of these reviews first! I plan to report them to the better business bureau when I have time. I encourage everyone else to do the same!

candyb39
1/26/19

I tried the box after it was reviewed by Forbes and it was TERRIBLE. They couldn't even match my size. Everything they sent was tattered and frumpy. They also would not allow me to cancel until after I had received the box that was terrible. Do NOT subscribe to this service.

xiangyuc
1/11/19

I used it 2 years ago, and it was good, quick turnaround. But this time, after they received my bag in Nov, now 2 months passed, I got nothing. I emailed and checking the status, they replied back and says there's some delay, and the time it takes to offer is about 30 business days.Even with holidays in between, how many business days are there in 2 months? I'm still waiting for my offer, will keep update this.

karens826
1/10/19

I first tried material world when they started - it was a quick turnaround offered within week .
Now years later I sent them 10 items , they received my package on November 1st - sent an email saying it would be 20-30 days before offer. Well it's now January 10th and I still have not received anything . i have emailed multiple times and they respond quickly saying that they are having delays. Last time they said I would receive my offer in 2-3 days . Well that was 2 1/2 weeks ago- don't waste your time

jessicaa251
1/3/19

I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark. I was so wrong. It took months to get my offer after sending in my clothes, the offers were ridiculously low ($23 for a pristine Valentino dress?? $9 for a nearly-new, once-worn Ted Baker skirt???), and worst of all, they charge a $2 return fee to ship things back that you don't want to donate or for them to buy. Unfortunately I sent them a ton of stuff in my first shipment so it would have actually cost me $36 to have it all shipped back. I ended up just cashing out the very little they offered me and decided to spend the time writing reviews on as many websites as possible. Seriously, don't even waste your time.

laurenb207
1/2/19

I couldn't believe how low my offers were. Tory Burch dress, $14. Bought it from them a few months back for $86. This ended up costing me a fortune in clothing. I am so sad that I trusted them. It took over 2 months to even have my box looked at and then the offers were not even worth it. out of 18 items I got $60.14. Will never do business with them again.

maryk575
12/19/18
• Updated review

So, they finally responded with low offers. I asked for several items to be returned; the website indicated that there would be no charge ( as in the past) for returns. Then I received a message saying that there would be a charge for returns. Also, the site used to offer the option of converting funds to Paypal or trade. No longer! You have to email the to tell them that you want funds deployed to Pay Pal.
I will no longer work with material world and I encourage -- warn -- you not to.

“DO NOT USE MATERIAL WORLD”
12/14/18
• Previous review

The last bag of items I sent on October 19 have still not been processed. The offers are extremely low and the customer service stinks. Try REAL REAL instead; it's consignment but the return is much greater. For example, MW offered me $8 for Etro wool pants; I rejected the offer (along with several others) and the pants are now listed on REAL REAL for $75. Also, try your local consignment stores; their return is much better. Once I've finalized this last transaction with MW, I will never work with them again.

sashak21
12/14/18

You are better off selling your items on Poshmark or even Crossroads Trading! They are telling me that my BRAND NEW items are showing signs of wear?! They are clearly clueless! Don't waste your time and energy with them.

hs120
12/3/18

I sent 30-some pieces, mostly Eileen Fisher, Vince and Theory. They accepted 24 pieces and gave good prices. Great experience. The wait time was a week or two longer than they originally estimated.

lesliej70
11/20/18

This site is a scam and will be out of business in no time. They are short on cash and inventory so they gut you on your $ "offer" and yet need your inventory to survive. I received an "offer" well past the 40 days they say it takes and they "LOST" a YSL dust bag and the control tag for my handbag, "LOST" a garment bag for a brand new tags on shearling vest, ripped the tags off a silk dress, and managed to stick hang tags (read: holes) in every single item I sent. Without my consent. Net-a-Porter tags on clothing were cut off a dress. My brand new cardboard box was returned split in half with my clothing balled up and falling out of the actual box, which was held together with tape.

And the offer is laughable- like $10 and $12 for things that you can easily sell for 5x that on other sites. And customer service? They have one intern and she takes all the calls. No one answers emails or calls you back, probably because they are busy trying to find a real job instead of working at this failing business. There are lots of sites to resell clothing and bags on... stick with the better ones and skip this!

Tip for consumers: Just don't use them... read all the reviews and you'll know why

helliz
10/6/18

Kept my items over 40 days; no customer service or whatsoever; beyond insulting prices from brand new items with tags, « failed » to authenticate items with Nordtrom's price tag on! LOL then charges to return the items which was not mentioned!!! I think this company makes their $$ off of the return fee not the actual purchase; they corner you with such ridiculous prices that your only choice is pay to get them back! And I have to pay $60 to deal with all this crap! What a scam! Don't waste your time!

rmo1
10/6/18

I sent 5 items to try out the service. I sent a $600 Burberry skirt. They offered me $10. My Valentino dress they said they couldn't authenticate it. Huh? They don't accept Dolce & Gabbana, nor Escada, nor Longchamp. Never again!

erinm269
10/5/18

I am not one to usually bother with bad reviews, but I originally requested a Material World packet on July 23 and just received an offer for my items on October 3! Furthermore, I had a brand new YSL tote which retails for $1100 (it was too small for my laptop) among the items and they offered me $90 for it. Now I have to pay shipping to get the items back. I called to see if this was typical and their own customer service gal recommended Poshmark instead!

jillg86
8/23/18

The prices offered for NWT clothing were insulting. Could easily sell same items for much more since brand new. Total waste of time!

I've been waiting since October 18 for an offer. Two months, minimum.

By Mary K.

They accepted brands that no one else accepted. However, they are very slow and unresponsive. Bad customer service.

By Mary K.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER!! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Questions? Get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Material World