Review of Material World

Tel: +1-866-674-5842
info@materialworld.co

hannahb197
7/14/19

Trade in my Self Portrait dress that had only worn once and they did not accept it because they said there were stains on which there isn't. Also, their box is horrible. The stylist clearly had bad taste and the price is too expensive for preowned. Don't waste your money.

christineb392
7/10/19

I recently tried out material world and did two boxes. I liked a few of the items they sent me and ended up buying 1 top total of both boxes. I paid $60 for the top (including the styling fee) which felt pretty reasonable for a silk Joie top. Overall, I don't feel like the boxes matched my style yet you still have to pay the $30 styling fee.

After the first box, I updated my style profile to better reflect what I was looking for and still didn't feel like a great fit. I have a very casual lifestyle, work in tech and wanted a few summer items. Most of the things I received in the box felt very "preppy" or "business casual" but really I just wanted a few great summer pieces.

I thought two rounds felt like a solid try and really like the top I bought!

lear30
7/9/19

Cancelled it and they refused to refund the "styling fee" which consisted of what looked like randomly selecting things that aren't selling from their ebay shop.

Issued a chargeback with Chase and took care of it.

Use trunk club or stitch fix instead - this company is horribly run

celc2
7/5/19

They keep sending you packages without any consent. The survey is so ridiculous, they send you the clothing you do not want or would wear. They would charge your card if you did not return the items in 4 days. The package needs to be returned in UPS. They simply want your MONEY. Be careful, not to fall this trap. Never sign up for this website.
By the way, you received your package on Friday. You easily forget to return the package in 4 days!

megand118
6/26/19

I tried selling items from my closet with my Material Box and earned pretty much what I paid for my Acne dress last month. It was super easy, just added stuff in my return bag and got cash.

ontayaw
6/20/19

WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH! They keep charging my card, I canceled multiple times and they keep charging me. LOST MY silk Vince skirt, never paid me. I have reached out multiple times with no response. I have to report them to my bank to stop their payment.
DO NOT EVERY SIGN UP WITH THEM!

hannahc104
6/17/19

I have reached out twice with no response. I notified them that I have not received my box when I got a notification that it had been delivered. Still, I am getting emails that I will be charged for all items if I don't make my selection in the next "11 hours" and then make a return. It's one thing to have a product that is mediocre, but if your customer service is bad (or nonexistent like this one appears to be) that is just unacceptable. I have even tried to DM them on Instagram at this point because I just can't get a hold of them. DO NOT DO IT.

tashab33
6/17/19

I like the idea you can sell stuff with your material box returns. I started sending in stuff with things I wasn't keeping from my Box which was really easy and I got shopping credit for my next Box. One of the offers was low for this theory top I had, it was like $10 when I paid over $100 but at the same time it was better than just donating it or having it just sit in my closet

marissab18
6/17/19

-5 star if i could -- i just dont get it, does anyone read my style profile? I had heard bad reviews about this before but i decided to try it because i did not have the time to go shopping but definitely do not recommend. I was sent a preview of items and was so eager to see but sadly they were all for the winter when I live in Texas and its over 100 degrees, no thanks!! I understand its all preowned items but maybe they should make it a priority to have relative items available for the stylists to use. I even contacted the CEO, her email is accessible via linkedin, expressing how unhappy I was but never heard back from her. This company is a fraud. do not use.

annam530
6/15/19

Material Box is such a great service for me! I'm a stay at home mom so I love having someone pick out my clothes for me and just send it to my home. I use other subscription services too and I honestly don't even think I would shop any other way

kaleighb1
6/12/19

Hi. Just tried this out because my friend suggested doing it. She's sold clothes to them before so I figured I would try too. I sent in 20 items of clothes and shoes I wasn't really pulling out of my closet to wear anymore. My offer came really fast in only 2 days and was a pretty decent amount. I wasn't sure what to expect because its my first time selling my clothes but I was happy to get money for my items

wendyb309
6/12/19

I sent in 14 item, two months had pasted and I had yet to receive and offer. So after many run around a and me offering to pay to get my items shipped back to me, they tell me they had sent my items through the mail and gave me a tracking number. When my package returned I see that it had been opened and tapped back up but I was missing three items. They took my Prada saffiano Lux bag, and two other item that where brand new. When I contact them and show the my item list. The customer service representative told me he would investigate and it's been more than a month and I have gotten no offer for these items and I have yet to get a reply after multiple emails they have not replied ever since!! Terrible terrible terrible. I cannot believe this happened ! Do not trust this company for nothing!

stefaniem34
6/12/19

LOVE my boxes!! I get so excited when I get my boxes delivered every month to my door. Such a fun way for me to shop

rebeccat151
6/9/19

Just did my first trade in. I needed to sell my clothes and wanted to make some extra cash. I used one of their free labels and sent my stuff. I thought it might take awhile to get paid for my items but it only took a couple of days so that was good and i got my money through my paypal so i liked that! I'll use it again when i need some extra money

danac149
6/7/19

Simply not worth the rates asking for. Styling services seem lax and much prefer thredup, therealreal and poshmark.

nicoler299
6/6/19

I love my boxes. I just got my third one and I'm impressed as always. I've been loving what my stylist has been picking out for me!!

stacys159
6/4/19

I live kinda far from any good shopping so when I heard about this company I was excited to get designer clothing at cheap prices (especially since there's no good shopping where I live). I think it's easy to use and it's great to be able to shop the brands I like without having to go to a mall or anything. I like that it just gets delivered to me and then I just keep what I want

rebeccat150
5/30/19

Hi it's my opinion that this company operates as a scam. At least this is what it feels like to me. Do NOT use them. They have charged me for a box that never arrived, in which they are documented saying that I wouldn't be. I was charged for all of the items in full, today. Literally the subject header of my last email with them was, "you will not be charged". This is the second time they have charged me for things that are not in my possession. The first time, they almost didn't refund me until I threatened to report them! I have reported them to my bank as fraud as well as to the Better Business Bureau. Do NOT use them!! After looking at Sitejabber, comments on here and on the BBB site, it looks like my opinions are not unfounded, and I'm not alone.

graceanneh
5/29/19

Didn't like many of the pieces picked- recently got a lot of jackets/winter clothing and I live in Texas and it's summer! Also have tried 3 times to cancel and still haven't heard back from their customer service to confirm.

akexandrian
5/28/19

I use this company to sell my clothes and it really helps me get rid of all the clutter I get from shopping too often :) awesome for when you want to make some extra cash

cf117
5/24/19

Literally the worst of the subscription boxes. I've tried numerous services and have always been satisfied with the clothing. Material World is quite the opposite. I received clothes that was completely the wrong size (I went back and verified that I had entered the correct information on my profile, I had. The stylist just put clothes that were the wrong size in the box.) and that were completely out of season. I reached out for support several times before I actually heard anything back from them. Overall, this was an incredibly disappointing experience - from the clothes to the customer service, overall it's just bad.

jills249
5/14/19

I've been using this company's subscription service for awhile now, and the majority of the time I actually buy all 5 items from the Box. Sometimes I've only gotten like 3 or 4 of the items from the Box but I'm usually really happy with the curations. My last Box I splurged on two items outside of my usual price range for Material World but they were such a great value it was worth it

kellys469
5/10/19

So I just signed up and I got my first material box and I was so excited! I wanted some cute casual pieces but I also wanted some really fun accessories and my stylist delivered. I got this really fun alexander wang dress, reformation jean jacket, a pair of frame jeans, this really cute bag from rebecca minkoff and some sunnies from chloe. I was so happy! Everything was really good prices, but for my budget I only kept the bag and dress but I'm excited to see what i'll get next.

jacquelineg84
5/9/19

I signed up because I like the idea of having some shop for me. I've had a couple of different stylists and some of them get my style completely but then I've had other stylists who don't. I guess it depends on who you get matched up with. I will say that when I asked for another stylist it was super easy and giving feedback helped but there are definetly times when I like one of my boxes alot and buy alot from it while other times I only buy 1 thing.

mandyg37
5/8/19

I really wanted to like this company. I gave it two boxes before giving up. The first box was filled with items that were BLATANTLY NOT in line with what I told them my style was: statement pieces, bright colors, no sleeveless items. I received drab neutral basics, tanks, and dresses my grandma would wear.
For the second box, I spoke with my "stylist" and made my wants clear. The pieces initially picked for me ALSO DID NOT align with any of my requests: more tanks, strappy dresses, etc. Being horribly disappointed, I selected 5 mystery items per the recommendation from their online support team. What I received was AGAIN drab basics, more t-shirts, and sunglasses that looked horrible with my face type. Needless to say I canceled my subscription after opening the second box.

I've been waiting since October 18 for an offer. Two months, minimum.

By Mary K.

They accepted brands that no one else accepted. However, they are very slow and unresponsive. Bad customer service.

By Mary K.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER!! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Questions? Get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Material World