Machine Mart

Machine Mart has a consumer rating of 1.46 stars from 24 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Machine Mart most frequently mention customer service and trading standards problems. Machine Mart ranks 118th among Tools sites.

No positive highlights yet

• I will be going to trading standards and my bank about this.
  • Ordered a poor quality product and then the customer service was terrible when trying to get it replaced -
How would you rate Machine Mart?

“I moved to NYC over a year ago and had no experience...”

Luis S.
9/3/14

I moved to NYC over a year ago and had no experience with any local Sliding Engineers. I called mechanic over the phone and had it installed 2 days later. The office personnel as well as the technicians that came to my apartment were courteous and very helpful. I've recommended this company to others. If I need any mechanical service in the future I will be contacting these Guys.

“Compressor repair”

colin b.
10/2/20

Absolute bag of $#*!e 7 months repair came back faulty Sent back with in 24 hrs estimated repair time 2 3 weeks Absolute bag of $#*! Repair bill £105 Cost for new 1 £115 Bag of $#*! would never use again or recommend Tried calling 12 times managers ore always off or too frighten to take a customers complaint spineless been waiting for 5 days for a call back. 1 company that i wont miss if the cover 19 wipes out

trading standards (4) customer service (6) 5 days (3)
colinb226
October 2nd, 2020

Absolute bag of $#*!e
7 months repair came back faulty
Sent back with in 24 hrs estimated repair time 2 3 weeks
Absolute bag of $#*!
Repair bill £105
Cost for new 1 £115
Bag of $#*! would never use again or recommend
1 company that i wont miss if the cover 19 wipes out

richardb2604
January 20th, 2021

Ordered a product paid for express delivery, never arrived, no response to email, spoke to customer services they said they would look into it, still nothing not even an update email, spoke to customer services again i got the excuse of too many orders and not enough staff, quick enough to take my money, over a week and items are still in their warehouse, will never deal with them again.

steves1223
January 24th, 2020

After buying a Generator from this company which never worked and even after paying £250 to fix it it was lost then found then lost for 9 months. Then it never worked and they tried to make up faults which never existed.
The trading law is goods must be usable upto 6 yrs but Machine Mart will not honour the law. They make up excuses. Avoid avoid. Go elsewhere.

danh685
December 16th, 2020

I ordered a product from Machine Mart. Waited and it did not arrive. Chased it and they said it was delayed and would arrive in 2 more weeks. I patiently waited that whole time with no communication from them. Then when it didn't show up a second time, I chased them yet again. They then told me it was out of stock and it won't be here for another month. The ecommerce experience is shocking beyond belief. I place about 300 orders a year with Amazon and they have never ever cocked up even close to this. I won't ever order on machine mart again, suggest you check if Amazon or a decent e-commerce business has your product before you order either.

robertw1736
May 25th, 2020

Bought a lawnmower from these robbers. Said it was in stock. Turns out there website is not live so item says in stock but may very well not be, like in my case. Customer service told me After I'd waited a week after my delivery date that it was not in stock. No updates where given at any time. I have phoned them many times ang got a different person. Was told I would get a refund within 5 days. I am still waiting after 2 weeks. They have had my money for about 5 weeks now and still no sign of a refund. Absolute disgrace, no way will I ever buy anything from this lot ever again.

philt67
February 1st, 2019

I bought a Clarke DG6000DVES 5kVA Diesel Generator after being impressed by its' 5* customer reviews on the website. (Though I was surprised by how few reviews there were, I should have been more suspicious.)
Mine is noisy, gives off black smoke at 3/4 load and uses a lot more fuel than stated.
My 2 star product review has not been posted, I've emailed them 4 times, still haven't had a reply. I feel duped.

warrens172
February 1st, 2021

Purchased a dehumidifier in October 2020. Stopped working a few weeks later. Eventually returned after 3 attempts. Allegedly repaired, returned to me in January 2021, worked for 2 hours, broke again. Returned again. Will not reply to emails. Will not refund. SHOP ELSEWHERE!

Tip for consumers:
Shop elsewhere! Customer service is dreadful.

Products used:
Dehumidifier

philips277
July 4th, 2020

Previously been good service but now
Previously been good service but now not delivered my goods, then when I rang up twice still nothing. The second call I made I was told I would get a refund (I asked for one) then the guy in customer services said he wanted to find out why and order placed in May 2020 had not been sent. I told him I was not at all interested in why; I just need the order cancelled and a refund. I am now ringing a third time to get my money back. Machine Marts website back-office is also dysfunctional as when one logs in the only things it says about order history is 'processed'. There is no details or other status which is not really an order history when compared to more informative sites.
When you ring customer services they try and fob you off with 'all I can do is email' then say another department; in this case 'websales'. I have now rung their press department and left a message saying I will contact the media if the do not refund me in full within 7 days. I have also asked my solicitor to write to their finance department.
Websales number is *******6231 however they do not advertise this number online. When you call this number it rings 20 times then automatically hangs up.

Update: 4th July 2020 20:10
Sadly still nothing since the fetid reply from someone at Machine Mart. I smell receivership as no refund, no goods and no contact. I will contact the CEO. Companies House state primary Director as John Alan Clarke, correspondence address of 211 Lower Parliament Street, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG1 1GN. This address is shared with 2 other Director Sandra Elaine Clarke and Tracey Clarke. Overall 12 officers with 7 resignations since 13th April 1981. 14 registered charges with all 14 satisfied. Year to 31st May 2019 (submitted 3rd March 2020) Full Accounts at Companies House state that compared with the previous year (2018), debtors have increased from £118,657,783 to £124,575,059 whilst at the same time, cash at bank and in-hand has decreased from £917,661 to £587,159. This information is from the public domain at The Governments Companies House
I am still waiting for my £57.74

Reply from Machine Mart Ltd
25 Jun 2020
Thank you for your feedback today. I am sorry to hear of the issue you have raised, I will forward your details through to the sales manager now to look into your refund and confirm to you. We are sorry for the delay and any inconvenience this may have caused.
Review of Car Parts 4 Less
Customer
Customer
1 star: Bad
Updated 16 Jun 2020
Reviewer contacted
Picking error on an order they sent me-waited over an hour to talk to someone. Gave up.
There was a picking error on an order they sent me. The part did not fit and was wrong part no. Used online message service at their website and also telephoned them at the same time.
The customer services message service said I was no. 22 in the queue. Then a staff member typed I had come through to the wrong department. His department was for orders that had not been placed. He then left the chat straight away and I went to number 88 in the queue. All this time I am also on the phone; they say 'the next agent will be with you shortly' but it's no short time to wait. 48 minutes so far. Now I am position 58 in the queue chat.

The part cost me £11.01 so it's not cost effective to contact these people to get a returns number unless the part is costly. If you factor in the total wind-up of trying to get hold of them and the fobbing off, as well as the pure money it's a loss of about £40 I reckon.

In the website chat I am now position 53. I've been waiting 53 minutes. After about 5 minutes of waiting there is a pop up in the chat that says operators are busy and to leave your email address and they will contact you shortly. This is not true. The telephone message says someone will be with you shortly and the order you placed with them is important to them. Partly untrue.

It would be much better if they said you have no chance or talking to anyone for about 4 hours, either on the telephone or on the website chat. I don't need a reason why, just up front honesty.

Tip for consumers:
Previously been good service but avoid it. I've lost £52 for two months now. No refund, no delivery, avoidance tactics on telephone support, no proactive sincere action.

adamh247
January 14th, 2019

I purchased a Clarke CL500M Lathe/Mill combo in March last year.

Trying to keep this short...

Machine auto feed died, got it fixed. Lathe bearing died, got whole machine replaced. New machine didn't key t-key in mill so mill didn't work. Mill got taken away, installed and 'tested'. I get it back and install it. It sounds like a bag of nails, dead bearings. And it chatters massively. What a pathetic service. 9 and a half months of effort and money for nothing. I will be going to trading standards and my bank about this.

Never buying anything from them again. Absolutely appalling customer support.

nataszao
September 22nd, 2017

I urgently required an extra long spanner and these are listed as available from Machine Mart
Thanx

gilesw11
September 12th, 2018

Complete Crooks. Purchased a gene for an event for the weekend.
Correctly built up and tested only to find item had no OUTPUT. Had to
Purchase another locally and contacted to return for refund. 5 days
Later item had been returned to me with the job sheet saying NO FAULT.
Phoned to get brushed off by a bloke called George saying theirs nothing
Wrong with it so Machine Mart wont refund. COMPLETE JOKE. Told to email
And spend more time trying to sort out.

scottk223
October 7th, 2018

I bought a Clarke pillar drill from machine mart, the drill did not turn true without a wobble. When I contacted the store they told me I would have to organise return and pay a £20 fee to have it inspected. I refused to pay a fee. I contacted customer service subsequently by now 12 months had elapsed they told me the uk had not signed up to EU consumer regulations and therefore there was nothing they could do, I contacted trading standards who confirmed this was completely false. I left an accurate review of the product but this was not posted, the company clearly screen reviews so be cautious. I still have the drill cannot use it for most jobs it just sits there and annoys me, I have never used the company since and never will. There are plenty of other tool companies out there who have a much more honest approach to customer service.

tonys125
May 31st, 2016

Purchased a clark cts 14 saw bench, but when i got it home the sliding side extension table didn't sit flush with the rest of the table. This was fitted by clark and not me. It was raised, so work would not sit flat. I returned it to the store and we checked the other one in stock and that had the same fault. They refused to give me a refund, even though HO agreed it was a fault. I had to spend more on another saw bench. I will never use or recommend Machine Mart again. Not happy.

They also wouldn't publish a 1* review on their web site. Avoid.

garyh132
June 28th, 2016

Very high quality goods at slightly high prices

rayh70
June 24th, 2016

Our Clarkes Gazebo collapsed on us and our friends whilst sheltering from a rain shower at a barbeque. Machine Mart's customer service advised that it could only withstand a light shower. That's not good enough its canopy has a sloping roof to drain off water but not enough support on the sides of the canopy. I thought they would have taken my complaint seriously. To defend this product in what was a potentially dangerous incident is negligent from a safety aspect. Fortunately no one was injured. Buyer beware! Please look elsewhere. Having a bad product is one thing but to have bad customer service as well is unforgivable.

judithk9
November 20th, 2015

They charged me $85. For a new hose which never fixed the problem! What a rip-off.

luiss30
September 3rd, 2014

gp28
January 6th, 2013

Machine Mart deliberately manipulate any negative product "Reviews" on their website.
In a nutshell, any product reviews will only have the ones that Machine Mart wish to post up on their website and not a true reflection of the product reviewed. This is a deliberate ploy to mislead the customer.
I left a review on a poor performing drill I purchased, yet they refuse to display it on there website.
Avoid them at all cost

carlc48
October 5th, 2016

Machine Mart used to be a name you can trust... what a joke they are now!

I felt it was time to get a new top box and roller cab and thought of MM, I had only just missed out on the VAT Free offer so I gave them a call was given the discount and half price delivery... thumbs up I thought.

They had to deliver the items in two halves, the top box first and then I had to wait for the roller cab to come in before it could be dispatched. So the order was placed on Friday 23/9/16 and was delivered late in the day on Monday 26/9/16.

I opened the item up only to find that it had been badly damaged in transit and immediately phoned them... only to be told I have to take pictures and email them (Unfortunately their email servers can't handle more than a few pics looking at it as it kept bouncing back as undeliverable. Uploaded them to Photobucket and sent the link instead)

Phoned them the following day after not hearing anything only to be told that it had been forwarded onto the relevant department and should receive a response before the day is out.- Nothing!

Phoned again on the Wednesday morning only to be told that they will forward it on again and I should hear something before dinner as they will walk through to the manager to get it expedited.

Dinner time came and still nothing so I decided to just phone Customer Services as enough was enough where a very pleasant woman did everything in her power to get this sorted out for me by getting one of her managers to go and find the Elusive Eddy. I was also told that the email had been received and opened up by the relevant department but appears that no one could be bothered to try and sort my problem out.

Eventually Eddy rang me back and asked what I wanted to do! I decided to give them a second chance and get a replacement set out because as far as I was aware it was the couriers fault and not MM's so one was sent on a pallet to prevent the same thing happening and a refund of delivery charges was given after I asked for some form of compensation.

The item arrived and was perfect... so I couldn't wait for my Roller Cab to arrive and get all my tools sorted out.

I was told they should have them arriving on Monday 3/10/16 so should be with me a day or two after... quick phone call on Tuesday just to make sure it would be arriving and to reschedule my work to take the delivery.

Anyway it arrived today Wednesday 5/10/16 on a pallet that was exactly the same size as the box that was on it.

I noticed that one of the bottom corners of the box as slightly crushed so I was quite dubious on opening it up... but I couldn't be that unlucky could I? Surely not!

So I turned it over and opened the bottom side first... p****d off is not the best way to describe how I was feeling... p****d off and fuming was more like it. It was damaged that badly that the corner itself had been pushed in, the bottom drawer wouldn't engage properly when closed, the top of the cab was also damaged which looked like it had been crushed.

This in my opinion was definitely not done in transit but in the warehouse before it was placed onto the pallet.

Here we go again... telephone call - only to be told email pictures yet again!

I explained the situation and was told to email immediately with a heading done in capitals stating that it was URGENT and that his manager would find Eddy once it arrived.

A couple of hours passed and I received a phone call off Eddy we went through the motions of deciding whether I was going to keep it or not and that I wanted some proper compensation as this had cost me 3 Day Wages so far as with being self employed - If I don't work I don't earn!

He said he would get back shortly after I said what terms I would accept a replacement and that he would have to speak to those higher up than him. Another couple of hours went by when I had to phone up and give them my mobile number as I had to go out urgently thinking he would ring me when I was out - Nothing!

When I arrived back about two and a half hours later I checked to see if I had missed any calls and you guessed it nothing.

That was it now I'd had enough and I wanted my money back and the items returning to them... I phoned up to tell them what I wanted and said I want to speak to Eddy... surprise surprise he wasn't there!

Someone else rang me back to say that it had been escalated and was awaiting a decision, but by this time I was not interested any more. If I had just been given a courteous phone call to keep me in the loop with what was happening I may have been tempted to see what the outcome was. But no that would be too simple so I cancelled my order.

Anyway cancelled the order so I had to wait for the returns department to ring to get them picked up.
The returns department then called to ask when I wanted it collecting - I was only offered Friday or Monday, so Friday it is then! The only problem is they can't give me a time for the collection and the courier will let me know when he's nearby.

So basically it's cost me 4 days work & lost wages for the pleasure of returning everything and the monies won't go back onto my card until late next week, which means I can't order one from elsewhere until this has been done.

So a BIG thank you to Machine Mart for wasting both my time and money and that I will never be using you again!

Don't get me wrong some of the people I dealt with were very helpful, courteous and apologetic.

But the way I was treated by a certain department and person has made me more determined to stop other people making the same mistake I did and go elsewhere.

Go elsewhere....

michaelr103
October 15th, 2014

I bought a multi-fuel fire from Machine Mart and after 2 years a part went on it and they were extremely unhelpful and very slow. It took 8 weeks to get a replacement part as they said they didn't have any of this particular part and don't make it anymore, and that there was nothing I could do I then rang Trading Standards to find out that it is covered by Sale of Goods Act and is covered for 6 years. When I rang Machine Mart back they said they would have to make one up as they didn't stockpile any parts when the fire was discontinued, and it did look like they had made it up as it looked like a child's metalwork homework. It was the wrong dimensions to fit my fire and would have caused more harm than good had I forced it in. I sent it back and now a week later I rang up to find out where they are and how close I am to getting another replacement only to be told they haven't unpacked it yet and is still in their storeroom. We are now in the process of beginning court proceedings.

marieg15
October 3rd, 2014

After purchasing an ash sucking vacuum for the fire, we discovered that when in use, it blasts ash from the top all over the room. We took it back to Machine Mart who sent it off to their engineer and came back with a verdict of 'no fault found'. Interesting to us as I'm not sure how you could use it and not see that it doesn't work as it should, given the large volume of ash swirling around your head during use. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking they might have fixed something on it... took it home and lo and behold, the same problem occurred.

Took it back today to get a refund and spoke to an incredibly nervous member of staff called Mark (later revealed as the acting Manager for the Sunderland store) who informed us that they can't sanction refunds in store and we'd have to ring their customer care line. We asked Mark if he could ring their customer care line and explain the situation... he did and we spoke to someone called George who told us they'd have to send the vacuum to the engineer (the same one who had recorded that there was no fault with it...) to which I pointed out that we'd already given them the opportunity to fix it once and that as it was under warranty and not fit for purpose, they were obligated to give us our money back. George started his refusal speech again at which point I handed him back to Mark who ended the phone call.

Mark proceeded to tell us that unlike 'B&Q', most of their stock was manufactured by them and that they'd lose money if they just dished out refunds. Quite staggering really. I pointed out this wasn't the customer's problem, to which he stated it was the way Machine Mart do business. There were then some veiled accusations like 'you wouldn't believe how many people buy something to use it once and then try to bring it back...' and 'so many people find stupid ways to break stuff'. Wow.

Now reporting them to Trading Standards and warning people like yourselves who work hard for their money not to touch Machine Mart with a barge pole.

richards86
February 19th, 2014

Ordered a poor quality product and then the customer service was terrible when trying to get it replaced - never, ever use machinemart.co.uk

rolandd9
June 23rd, 2014

Machine mart have totally unreiable spares backup
There people are very economical with the truth
BEWARE

richardb3
July 20th, 2010

Be VERY CAREFUL what you buy from this company. I was given the wrong items and they refused a refund (even though the items were boxed and unused). Instead they gave a credit note and wanted to take a 10% handling fee. I phoned head office and spoke to their store manager who were both extremely unhelpful. AVOID IF POSSIBLE!

Agree absolute bag of $#*!e Screw fix will get my custom all the time now

By colin b.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Machine Mart staff and other customers.

Britain? ۪s No. 1 Specialist Tools and Equipment Superstore where you can buy garage equipment, power tools, machinery, tool chests and much more...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Machine Mart?

Have a question about Machine Mart?