MachineMart.co.uk reviews

Tel: 0115 956 5555
customerservice@machinemart.co.uk

philt67
2/1/19

I bought a Clarke DG6000DVES 5kVA Diesel Generator after being impressed by its' 5* customer reviews on the website . (Though I was surprised by how few reviews there were, I should have been more suspicious.)
Mine is noisy, gives off black smoke at 3/4 load and uses a lot more fuel than stated.
My 2 star product review has not been posted, I've emailed them 4 times, still haven't had a reply. I feel duped.

adamh247
1/14/19

I purchased a Clarke CL500M Lathe/Mill combo in March last year.

Trying to keep this short...

Machine auto feed died, got it fixed. Lathe bearing died, got whole machine replaced. New machine didn't key t-key in mill so mill didn't work. Mill got taken away, installed and 'tested'. I get it back and install it. It sounds like a bag of nails, dead bearings. And it chatters massively. What a pathetic service. 9 and a half months of effort and money for nothing. I will be going to trading standards and my bank about this.

Never buying anything from them again. Absolutely appalling customer support.

scottk223
10/7/18

I bought a Clarke pillar drill from machine mart, the drill did not turn true without a wobble. When I contacted the store they told me I would have to organise return and pay a £20 fee to have it inspected. I refused to pay a fee. I contacted customer service subsequently by now 12 months had elapsed they told me the uk had not signed up to EU consumer regulations and therefore there was nothing they could do, I contacted trading standards who confirmed this was completely false. I left an accurate review of the product but this was not posted, the company clearly screen reviews so be cautious. I still have the drill cannot use it for most jobs it just sits there and annoys me, I have never used the company since and never will. There are plenty of other tool companies out there who have a much more honest approach to customer service.

gilesw11
9/12/18

Complete Crooks. Purchased a gene for an event for the weekend.
Correctly built up and tested only to find item had no OUTPUT. Had to
purchase another locally and contacted to return for refund. 5 days
later item had been returned to me with the job sheet saying NO FAULT.
phoned to get brushed off by a bloke called George saying theirs nothing
wrong with it so Machine Mart wont refund. COMPLETE JOKE. Told to email
and spend more time trying to sort out.

nataszao
9/22/17

I urgently required an extra long spanner and these are listed as available from Machine Mart
thanx

carlc48
10/5/16

Machine Mart used to be a name you can trust.....what a joke they are now!

I felt it was time to get a new top box and roller cab and thought of MM, I had only just missed out on the VAT Free offer so I gave them a call was given the discount and half price delivery....thumbs up I thought.

They had to deliver the items in two halves, the top box first and then I had to wait for the roller cab to come in before it could be dispatched. So the order was placed on Friday 23/9/16 and was delivered late in the day on Monday 26/9/16.

I opened the item up only to find that it had been badly damaged in transit and immediately phoned them....only to be told I have to take pictures and email them (Unfortunately their email servers can't handle more than a few pics looking at it as it kept bouncing back as undeliverable. Uploaded them to Photobucket and sent the link instead)

Phoned them the following day after not hearing anything only to be told that it had been forwarded onto the relevant department and should receive a response before the day is out.- Nothing!

Phoned again on the Wednesday morning only to be told that they will forward it on again and I should hear something before dinner as they will walk through to the manager to get it expedited.

Dinner time came and still nothing so I decided to just phone Customer Services as enough was enough where a very pleasant woman did everything in her power to get this sorted out for me by getting one of her managers to go and find the Elusive Eddy. I was also told that the email had been received and opened up by the relevant department but appears that no one could be bothered to try and sort my problem out.

Eventually Eddy rang me back and asked what I wanted to do! I decided to give them a second chance and get a replacement set out because as far as I was aware it was the couriers fault and not MM's so one was sent on a pallet to prevent the same thing happening and a refund of delivery charges was given after I asked for some form of compensation.

The item arrived and was perfect.....so I couldn't wait for my Roller Cab to arrive and get all my tools sorted out.

I was told they should have them arriving on Monday 3/10/16 so should be with me a day or two after....quick phone call on Tuesday just to make sure it would be arriving and to reschedule my work to take the delivery.

Anyway it arrived today Wednesday 5/10/16 on a pallet that was exactly the same size as the box that was on it.

I noticed that one of the bottom corners of the box as slightly crushed so I was quite dubious on opening it up....but I couldn't be that unlucky could I? Surely not!

So I turned it over and opened the bottom side first....p****d off is not the best way to describe how I was feeling....p****d off and fuming was more like it. It was damaged that badly that the corner itself had been pushed in, the bottom drawer wouldn't engage properly when closed, the top of the cab was also damaged which looked like it had been crushed.

This in my opinion was definitely not done in transit but in the warehouse before it was placed onto the pallet.

Here we go again.....telephone call - only to be told email pictures yet again!

I explained the situation and was told to email immediately with a heading done in capitals stating that it was URGENT and that his manager would find Eddy once it arrived.

A couple of hours passed and I received a phone call off Eddy we went through the motions of deciding whether I was going to keep it or not and that I wanted some proper compensation as this had cost me 3 Day Wages so far as with being self employed - If I don't work I don't earn!

He said he would get back shortly after I said what terms I would accept a replacement and that he would have to speak to those higher up than him. Another couple of hours went by when I had to phone up and give them my mobile number as I had to go out urgently thinking he would ring me when I was out - Nothing!

When I arrived back about two and a half hours later I checked to see if I had missed any calls and you guessed it nothing.

That was it now I'd had enough and I wanted my money back and the items returning to them.....I phoned up to tell them what I wanted and said I want to speak to Eddy.....surprise surprise he wasn't there!

Someone else rang me back to say that it had been escalated and was awaiting a decision, but by this time I was not interested any more. If I had just been given a courteous phone call to keep me in the loop with what was happening I may have been tempted to see what the outcome was. But no that would be too simple so I cancelled my order.

Anyway cancelled the order so I had to wait for the returns department to ring to get them picked up.
The returns department then called to ask when I wanted it collecting - I was only offered Friday or Monday, so Friday it is then! The only problem is they can't give me a time for the collection and the courier will let me know when he's nearby.

So basically it's cost me 4 days work & lost wages for the pleasure of returning everything and the monies won't go back onto my card until late next week, which means I can't order one from elsewhere until this has been done.

So a BIG thank you to Machine Mart for wasting both my time and money and that I will never be using you again!

Don't get me wrong some of the people I dealt with were very helpful, courteous and apologetic.

But the way I was treated by a certain department and person has made me more determined to stop other people making the same mistake I did and go elsewhere.

Tip for consumers: Go elsewhere....

garyh132
6/28/16

Very high quality goods at slightly high prices

rayh70
6/24/16

Our Clarkes Gazebo collapsed on us and our friends whilst sheltering from a rain shower at a barbeque. Machine Mart's customer service advised that it could only withstand a light shower. That's not good enough its canopy has a sloping roof to drain off water but not enough support on the sides of the canopy. I thought they would have taken my complaint seriously. To defend this product in what was a potentially dangerous incident is negligent from a safety aspect. Fortunately no one was injured. Buyer beware! Please look elsewhere. Having a bad product is one thing but to have bad customer service as well is unforgivable.

tonys125
5/31/16

Purchased a clark cts 14 saw bench, but when i got it home the sliding side extension table didn't sit flush with the rest of the table. This was fitted by clark and not me. It was raised, so work would not sit flat. I returned it to the store and we checked the other one in stock and that had the same fault. They refused to give me a refund, even though HO agreed it was a fault. I had to spend more on another saw bench. I will never use or recommend Machine Mart again. Not happy.

They also wouldn't publish a 1* review on their web site. Avoid.

judithk9
11/20/15

They charged me $85. for a new hose which never fixed the problem! What a rip-off.

michaelr103
10/15/14

I bought a multi-fuel fire from Machine Mart and after 2 years a part went on it and they were extremely unhelpful and very slow. It took 8 weeks to get a replacement part as they said they didn't have any of this particular part and don't make it anymore, and that there was nothing I could do I then rang Trading Standards to find out that it is covered by Sale of Goods Act and is covered for 6 years. When I rang Machine Mart back they said they would have to make one up as they didn't stockpile any parts when the fire was discontinued, and it did look like they had made it up as it looked like a child's metalwork homework. It was the wrong dimensions to fit my fire and would have caused more harm than good had I forced it in. I sent it back and now a week later I rang up to find out where they are and how close I am to getting another replacement only to be told they haven't unpacked it yet and is still in their storeroom. We are now in the process of beginning court proceedings.

marieg15
10/3/14

After purchasing an ash sucking vacuum for the fire, we discovered that when in use, it blasts ash from the top all over the room. We took it back to Machine Mart who sent it off to their engineer and came back with a verdict of 'no fault found'. Interesting to us as I'm not sure how you could use it and not see that it doesn't work as it should, given the large volume of ash swirling around your head during use. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking they might have fixed something on it... took it home and lo and behold, the same problem occurred.

Took it back today to get a refund and spoke to an incredibly nervous member of staff called Mark (later revealed as the acting Manager for the Sunderland store) who informed us that they can't sanction refunds in store and we'd have to ring their customer care line. We asked Mark if he could ring their customer care line and explain the situation... he did and we spoke to someone called George who told us they'd have to send the vacuum to the engineer (the same one who had recorded that there was no fault with it...) to which I pointed out that we'd already given them the opportunity to fix it once and that as it was under warranty and not fit for purpose, they were obligated to give us our money back. George started his refusal speech again at which point I handed him back to Mark who ended the phone call.

Mark proceeded to tell us that unlike 'B&Q', most of their stock was manufactured by them and that they'd lose money if they just dished out refunds. Quite staggering really. I pointed out this wasn't the customer's problem, to which he stated it was the way Machine Mart do business. There were then some veiled accusations like 'you wouldn't believe how many people buy something to use it once and then try to bring it back...' and 'so many people find stupid ways to break stuff'. Wow.

Now reporting them to Trading Standards and warning people like yourselves who work hard for their money not to touch Machine Mart with a barge pole.

luiss30
9/3/14

I moved to NYC over a year ago and had no experience with any local Sliding Engineers. I called mechanic over the phone and had it installed 2 days later. The office personnel as well as the technicians that came to my apartment were courteous and very helpful. I've recommended this company to others. If I need any mechanical service in the future I will be contacting these Guys.

rolandd9
6/23/14

machine mart have totally unreiable spares backup
there people are very economical with the truth
BEWARE

richards86
2/19/14

Ordered a poor quality product and then the customer service was terrible when trying to get it replaced - never, ever use machinemart.co.uk

gp28
1/6/13

Machine Mart deliberately manipulate any negative product "Reviews" on their website.
In a nutshell, any product reviews will only have the ones that Machine Mart wish to post up on their website and not a true reflection of the product reviewed. This is a deliberate ploy to mislead the customer.
I left a review on a poor performing drill I purchased, yet they refuse to display it on there website.
Avoid them at all cost

richardb3
7/20/10

Be VERY CAREFUL what you buy from this company. I was given the wrong items and they refused a refund (even though the items were boxed and unused). Instead they gave a credit note and wanted to take a 10% handling fee. I phoned head office and spoke to their store manager who were both extremely unhelpful. AVOID IF POSSIBLE!!

Questions? Get answers from the MachineMart.co.uk staff and other customers.

MachineMart.co.uk?