Review of LegalZoom

Over 10 years helping millions of customers
Learn More

sr136
2/2/15

Trying to decide what to do in regards to LegalZoom. These reviews tell much the same story as my experience. The customer service is poor at best for something as simple as trying to get information. Not sure why they are in business if customer service is so distasteful to them. Smoke n' mirrors.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We couldn’t be more apologetic about your experience with LegalZoom. You deserve better. I would like an opportunity to review your account & try to make things right. At your convenience, please feel free to contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.
rodolphel
1/8/15

Such a bad and umprofessionnal company - they picked name of my company without my consent - AND THEY WONT FIX THEIR MISTAKE - I PAID $900 FOR NOTHING. A woman named CArolina at Business Escalating would not provide me with her full name after telling me i have to pay $300 to amend that name - justa bunch of amateurs only going after ur money.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Rodolphe, we always do our best to correct the situation when there has been dissatisfaction with our service or product & we apologize that you have experienced us at less than our best. I would like to research your concerns to determine exactly what happened and try to help with a resolution. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience via help@legalzoom.com.
larryw31
1/6/15

I was incorporated in 2009 for a fee of $936.41 by Legal Zoom. I paid for Legal Zoom to be my RA for the past 4 years, another $159.00 each year. This year my credit card that I used to originally make the purchase was charged another $936.41 without my authorization. I have since been in touch with both the credit card company and Legal Zoom. The credit card company is investigating and the supervisor at Legal Zoom is telling me in fact my card should not have been charged without my knowledge. If my card is not credited I am seeking legal council about my next steps, and it is not with Legal Zoom.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Larry, we couldn’t be more apologetic about your experience with LegalZoom. When we make a mistake we want to fix it. We sincerely apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. I would like an opportunity to make things right. Please contact me directly at help@legalzoom.com.
stanl340
1/5/15

I too would award LegalZoom a zero or better yet a below zero rating if possible. I thought it would be easier to have them handle my LLC, however it turned into a nightmare. They made themselves the Registered Agent even after I explicitly told them NO! On top of that they wanted more money to change the Registered Agent! This may not meet the legal definition of extortion, but it sure meets the man-on-the-street's definition.

Tip for consumers: Run!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
It is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. I would like to research your account and try to make things right. Please contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.
patrickm82
12/9/14

Don't get duped by Legal Zoom. After completing the initial input for a Last Will I was directed to a page to select either the basic package or a comprehensive package. The comprehensive package included a checked block for unlimited revisions. It also included a DISTINCT separate checked block for a $14.99 a month plan (first 30 days free, cancel anytime) giving you access to a legal rep. I called and spoke to one of their representatives to inquire if the benefit of unlimited revisions was separate from the $14.99 a month plan as is clearly the implication on their website. After much obviating I learned to my dismay that these items are inextricably linked. I find this approach deceitful and purposely misleading. I will not use their service because of it and I will be sure to mention to misleading approach Legal Zoom uses to all my friends and acquaintances at each opportunity in the future in the hope that I can prevent them from being duped.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Patrick, I would like to extend my sincerest apology in regards to your less than great experience with LegalZoom. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate and welcome your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made. We are happy to explain our package offers and discuss potential courtesy discounts should you decide to proceed. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com.
maryd79
12/2/14

***SUPER LONG CALL WAIT AND MULTIPED TRANSFERS LEADING NOWHERE***
DATE: 12/1/14 **I WAS SUPER EXCITED TO USE LEGALZOOM TILL!!!!**

THE BAD -
NEEDED TO PURCHASE A NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT, BUT THE OVERVIEW OF EACH TYPE OF NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT FORMS WAS INSUFFICIENT. (YOU HAD TO PURCHASE THE FORM TO GET A BETTER OVERVIEW EXPLANATION ON THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FILL OUT THE FORM AND ONLY AFTER THE FORM HAD BEEN PURCHASED.)
I ENDED UP WITH PURCHASING THE MUTUAL NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT AND WASN'T THE FORM I NEEDED.

THE GOOD -
CALLED LEGALZOOM AND SPOKE WITH A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP AND ASKED IF THEY COULD SEE A BETTER OVERVIEW OF THE UNILATERAL NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT OR BUSINESS NONDISCLOSURE FORM. THE REP PUT ME ON HOLD AND CAME BACK AND TOLD ME HE WASN'T ABLE TO PULL UP A BETTER OVERVIEW. HE THEN PROCEEDED TO INFORM ME THAT TO GO AHEAD AND PURCHASE THE UNILATERAL FORM AND CALL BACK IN AND GET A FULL REFUND FOR THE MUTUAL NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT AND SO I DID. (BIG MISTAKE)

THE BAD -
12/1/14 CALLED BACK IN AND WAITED FOREVER FOR SOMEONE TO ANSWER, SO THEN I LEFT A CALL BACK NUMBER.
I RECEIVED A CALL BACK AND I EXPLAINED MY ORDEAL AND THE FIRST REP COULDN'T HELP ME SO TRANSFERRED ME ON.(4) TRANSFERS LATER AND OVER AN (1) HOUR WAIT - I FINALLY HUNG UP PISSED OFF.

THE BAD -
12/2/14 CALLED LEGALZOOM AGAIN AND WAITED OVER 1/2 HOUR AND FINALLY GOT A REP. EXPLAINED MY ORDEAL AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME THE REP SAID THAT THEY COULDN'T REFUND ME, BECAUSE I LISTED MY HUSBAND'S NAME ON THE ACCOUNT FOR HE WAS THE ONE THAT NEED THE FORM. THOUGH I CREATED THE ACCOUNT UNDER MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND PAID WITH MY CREDIT CARD.
I TOLD THE REP THAT I HAD WAITED OVER 1 HOUR YESTERDAY AND GOT TRASFERRED 4 TIME AND THAT WASN'T INCLUDING TODAY'S 1/2 HOUR WAIT AND THAT HE WILL NOT BE TRANSFERRING ME AGAIN AND THAT I NEEDED TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR. I WAS THEN PUT ON HOLD AND THEN THE CALL WAS LOST.
**AT THIS TIME I WAS OUTRAGED**

THE GOOD -
I CALLED BACK IN ON A LAND LINE THIS TIME AND NOT MY CELL PHONE WHICH GOT ME A BETTER RESULT IN GETTING A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP.
DAVID ANSWERED AND I IMMEDIATELY ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR. HE SAID HE COULD HELP ME AND I YET AGAIN EXPLAINED MY ORDEAL.

THE BAD -
DAVID YET AGAIN WAS NOT ABLE TO REFUND ME.

THE GOOD-
BUT THEN LUCKY FOR LEAGALZOOM FOR HAVING DAVID. HE INSTRUCTED ME ON HOW TO ADD ME AS A AUTHORIZED CONTACT ON THE WEB. (WHICH I ORIGINALLY CREATED WITH MY EMAIL, MY PASSWORD AND PAID WITH MY CREDIT CARD). UPDATED THE INFORMATION LEGALZOOM NEED AND THEN DAVID WAS ABLE TO FINALLY REFUND ME.

**LEGALZOOM FOR A BUSINESS THAT SAYS THAT IT WILL BE QUICK AND EASY - IS A JOKE!***

LIKE I INFORMED DAVID I ORIGINALLY WAS VERY POSITIVE AND EXCITED TO USE YOUR BUSINESS TILL THE OUTRAGES LONG WAIT TIME, MULITPLE PHONE TRANSFERRING, CUSTOMER SERVICE REP THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DUE WHEN A REFUND IS NEED MAKE CUSTOMERS LIKE ME NOT TO WANT TO USE YOUR BUSINESS!!! HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME IF I DO USE YOU GUYS (DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH LEGALZOOM) MY EXPERIENCE WILL BE A BETTER ONE.

P.S THE ONE STAR IS FOR THE DAVID.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Mary, I would like to extend my sincerest apology in regards to your less than great experience with LegalZoom. We do our best to make sure every Customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. Typically things usually go more smoothly and apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at help@legalzoom.com.
susiem8
11/17/14

Just spent hours on the phone with various LegalZoom representatives. Was disconnected twice by their system. I assumed the person would call me back. Silly me. Got into the long wait line again and again and again. Was given untrue information on the third call - that it's not possible in Texas to indicate a future date for the effective date of incorporating. On the 4th call, I pointed out the Texas form and page number for doing so. Was told that yes it was possible in Texas but that it was my fault that the effective date was Sept. 10, 2014 because I didn't indicate in the "Special Instructions" box that I wanted the corporation to begin Jan. 1. Was told that the fact that I wrote on their forms that our fiscal year would begin Jan. 1, 2015 and that payroll would begin Jan. 1, 2015, that wasn't enough for them to know to file it that way nor apparently to ask me, since there was no where on their forms that asked that specific question. Apparently I had to clairvoyantly know to fill in the blank "Special Instructions" box with that information. Now I have a huge mess on my hands and their only response was that it was my fault. If you would like a personal review, call me at 214-239-8722. Susie Moore

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Susie, I am very sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience. I would like to review your account & try to make things right. We have a satisfaction goal & clearly we have fallen short in your situation. Please contact me directly at help@legalzoom.com.
michib
11/6/14

I have never experienced the closing technique that legalzoom uses. Their consultants that you speak to in the beginning are amazing! Amazingly full of the biggest con artist close. I don't have a better way of explaining the load of total bull$#*! these people use to reel you in. These people have ABSOLUTELY NO SOUL! Only a person who can prey on your emotions without heart or remorse can do what they do can't possibly have a soul within. They are so convincing, each of them could be compared to the greatest actors who've ever stepped into a character that i feel they've made a poor choice in career. They should be on stage or in front of a camera. They sell you your hearts dream. They are so kind,they really make you feel that they care about your business. I am creating a non profit through Legalzoom. Something i have heart and passion for. Something i wanted to do ,but had fears doing something so large all alone. Oh,the award winning performance these slimy monsters performed. They inspired me,made feel that they believed in my dream and my cause,(Rights for Animal Welfare) ,they took time to nurture me, made me feel they were really there for me,they shared stories of inspiration that shared my passion,they gave me information about services they don't supply but would be hugely beneficial to my cause,they were endlessly patient helping me get through the paperwork,took time,built me up,kept making me feel that my business was their business too. DO NOT BELIEVE ONE SINGLE WORD OF THE FEELING THAT
THEY CARE!!!!! All they're doing is closing a sale. I feel it's a slimy way of doing business. I do not make much money,im legally disabled so i can't work a regular job and disability leaves me extremely limited financially. Finally, i felt confident enough to take the leap. The last of the team of closers was awesome!!! He was so convincing that i cried at such beautiful kindness. Someone who believed in me. So,i made my first payment and was on my way!!! He was the last kind voice from the heartless Legalzoom. ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY, THEY COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT YOU!!!! THEY WILL NOT BE THERE FOR YOU,THEY DO NOT HAVE TIME TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ANYMORE. IN FACT,YOU GET TREATED LIKE A NUISANCE! Gone is the care and time to help with simple questions. I had to call to clarify an email from them about further information THEY requested and i was SHOCKED at the tone taken with me. They were downright CRUEL AND RUTHLESS. I'm paying for their help to see me through to the end and they made me feel like i was wasting their time. All of a sudden one woman actually said something like" what do you want? Haven't i answered your questions? Your taking time away from other people. " i wasnt allowed to finish my questions without being rudely interrupted with half ass answer and when i tried to explain that they needed to hear my question before interrupting me. These MONSTERS GOT MAD AT ME!!!! I wasn't being needy just needed the guidance that was present before i paid them. I've become afraid of them. This time i cried at such heartless cruelty. I didn't ask for a hand holding. Just to help get me through to the end of the process. DO NOT!!!! DO NOT BELIEVE THEY GIVE A CRAP ABOUT YOU OR YOUR BUSINESS. the frontline of Legalzoom don't really LIE to you. But they are just talented actors selling you youre own dream. THIS COMPANY IS CRUEL AND HEARTLESS. THEY WILL REEL YOU IN WITH PROMISES OF THEIR SUPPORT AND ONCE YOU PAY THEM.........THEY WILL TREAT YOU LIKE YOU'RE A PAIN IN THE ASS. DON'T FALL FOR THEIR FALSE CHARM. MONSTERS, ALL OF THEM!!! Find another way this company is everything i don't want my company to be. Beware of Legalzoom.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Michi, I could not be more apologetic about your experience with LegalZoom. We try to do our best to make sure every customer is happy and we clearly fell short of that goal in this situation. I would like to try to help with a resolution & try to make thing right. I have located your account information & will contact you directly. Please also feel free to contact me directly at help@legalzoom.com.
hassans13
10/7/14

PIECE OF TRASH SERVICE... YOU LITERALLY HAVE TO WAIT HOURS TO CONNECT WITH SOMEONE FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE... I WISH THIS LEGAL ZOOM SHUTS DOWN... THEY CHEAT YOU, MONEY MAKING GIMMICKS BY THIS CHECK BOX DAT CHECK BOX...

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Hassan, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. I would like to help you with a resolution. Please contact me directly at Chyna@lzserve.com.
samantham21
10/6/14

Please never use LegalZoom. I have never before encountered such unethical service via the web, nor have I ever before encountered such awful customer service. This business is not consumer-oriented at all. First of all, there is no way to cancel your order or subscriptions via their site. If you request cancellation via e-mail, they tell you they will respond within 24 hours, but it takes them days to respond. Then they tell you that you have to call to cancel. When you call, you are on hold for large chunks of time. I finally spoke with a customer service rep, Yolanda, who told me she needed to transfer me to a "specialist" to cancel my order. I've been on hold now for 30 minutes. :( And they also pile on lots of hidden fees and subscriptions. Be very careful.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Samantha M,

I would like to extend my sincerest apology in regards to your less than pleasant experience with LegalZoom. I would be happy to assist you with an immediate resolution. Please contact me directly at Chyna@lzserve.com.
courtneyb31
8/28/14

I feel tricked. Ordered "name change" paperwork for $140 on 8-15. I filled out a lot of fields on the website telling what I wanted to do with my name. On 8-20 I received an email saying my papers had been mailed to me. On 8-28 still no documents. So I called. Thirty minutes (!) on hold wondering if I had been scammed. Finally someone picked up and said I should wait longer on the US mail --Really?! I begged for them to just email the documents, and they did. I thought I would get documents that were filled out appropriately with the info I had given. Instead I got the EXACT SAME blank form available at my county court website- FOR FREE! Please learn from my stupidity. Do not pay this HORRIBLE scam company for something you can quickly get for free for yourself.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from "Legalzoom"!!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Courtney B.,

We are sorry about your experience with us and would like to make things right. Contact us at Chyna@lzserve.com for assistance.

daniellet2
4/11/14

Absolutely livid. My husband and I have used LZ for years (3 times in a 12 year span) and this time seemed to go smooth like the rest...until I realized they tacked on a monthly recurring charge for "Business Advantage Renewal" for $7.99! Now, before you think "yeah, you just missed that upsell/pre-ticked box in the form" I must say, I'm a marketer - I've been in the Internet marketing industry for 12 years now, I know what to look for and I'm telling you - I didn't see anything that said I would be enrolled in anything nor would I have had any interest in any form of renewal consumption service that they could possibly offer.

We're calling customer service, but we're not naive enough to expect a refund, and even if we got one - we don't care, this is SHADY, SHADY, SHADY and I'm going to tell anyone I can. I will not only never recommend LegalZoom again, but they lost what would have been a lifelong customer and anyone I could possibly refer.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Danielle,

We are sorry to hear that you were being charged for a service that you were unaware of. If you specified you did not want to participate in the subscription plan, that's our mistake and we would like an opportunity to make things right. Please contact me directly at Chyna@lzserve.com
matthewr22
3/31/14

I could give them zero stars if I could. The operating agreement they sent was out of date and had stipulations that do not apply to the state I live in. Run away these guys are awful and when you try to get help its joke.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Matthew,

We apologize about the experience you had with your LLC documents. Contact us at Chyna@lzserve.com so we can resolve the situation for you as quickly as possible.

saulb13
3/15/14

This company failed to mail me my will. They claimed they sent it. If so, my info is floating around somewhere. When I insisted on a refund they did send it by second-day mail. It was not worth it. Go to a lawyer. Legalzoom does not honor its ads. Stay away

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Saul,

We're sorry about your experience with your Will. Please contact us at Chyna@lzserve.com so we can look into what occurred and resolve the situation for you.

sharonm34
7/8/13

I used LegalZoom one time to get power of attorney over my dying father and LegalZoom Continued to charge my card monthly for some bogus Advantage Plus membership that I never signed up for. It took me a while to realize I was being charged. When I called to get a refund I was told they would refund half of the money. If you use this company for anything at all beware of auto charges on your credit card for things you did not sign up for.

gregy
5/6/13

I used Legal Zoom to write my own will. It's pretty cheap and easy and then I paid a real attorney to look at it to make sure it was okay. He made some minor changes but thought it was pretty decent. This is the Legal Zoom link http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-wills/wills-overview.html

georgec46
5/2/13

I used LegalZoom in the past and although it might be a little pricey with all the extra features you can add-on, they provide a good service and help you navigate legal issues if you're trying to incorporate or dealing with other legal issues by yourself. It's definitely much cheaper than hiring a lawyer and they actually have a service where you can consult with lawyers. I don't like how they try to upsell you constantly to some of their services. The idea of paying for the service every month for years I might not use too much just doesn't vibe well with me. But I guess for some, that's the cost of doing business.

The site itself is pretty easy to use and I haven't had any issues with it. I like the design and it is actually pretty easy to navigate and when I had to call in, the customer service rep was pretty good and helped me figure out what I needed to.

richardp23
12/29/12

very helpful site

davidj16
2/17/11

I tried to file a small claims with legalzoom for the state of Florida. I paid $69.95 and received court forms. No filing and no serving, just one page prepared form for broward county with instructions on how to file and how to serve. I could of done this myself.

There are more comprehensive companies out there that can conduct the complete service; dear consumer do a little more research. I would refer www.civiltree.com; i had great experience with them and they handled everything. Also check out www.smallciams123.com.

ikaikac
4/25/10

They like to make like its so easy and fast quite the opposite,long complicated and no help from them at all.They charge top dollar and have the worst service i have ever seen or expirienced.STAY AWAY

ama9
7/22/09

I have had several last will and testaments prepared for myself and family members with Legal Zoom. This company has great customer service even after the sale. If I went to an attorney to have my will prepared the cost would be around $700 in my state, it only cost $119 at Legal Zoom. I've had the wills examined by three attorney friends and they gave a thumbs up to the preparation and appearance of the final product. All wills are prepared according to the laws of the state that the customer resides, so everything is legal and up to date. I would not hesitate to use Legal Zoom again, I highly recommend this company.

Hi Carol, we also offer legal plans where you can speak directly with an Attorney that can help with any advice or legal questions about your trust. Contact us directly at 1-866-738-2980. We are happy to help get you started.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Jason, we are happy to assist you and talk about our LLC packages & process anytime. Feel free to email us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Analisa, we are here to help and happy to answer any questions or concerns. Feel free to contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer & we are willing to review any concerns for resolution. Please feel free to reach out to the social media manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Susan, we are happy to answer any questions or concerns about our product & process. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Today is July 20. 8am. I called Legal Zoom's phone support 800 773 0888 AGAIN. I got the same automated response that their agents are busy. I waited for several minutes. Nada. Left my return call number. lets see if they will call back. Really? at 8 am and everybody is busy to take a call. I understand they start the help line at 5 am. Still, they do not return calls. Since a Legal Zoom staffer monitors these pages, I might as well ask my question here: I recently filed an application for incorporation in CA. I got the paperwork from the Sec of State. It says its been filed. The information at the Sec of State website says my Corp is active. I understand I am to pay the State an $800 registration fee. When am I suppose to pay this. Nobody's billing me yet. I agree w Stan L. LZ is a great idea but poor executed.

By G A.

Hi Philip, we are happy to discuss our packages & pricing anytime. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Andres, yes we can assist you with both dissolving your current LLC and the filing of your new LLC. Please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com with any questions or concerns, thanks.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Adam, it is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction. All comments and experiences are important to us; we appreciate and welcome feedback. We have many satisfied customers and we are very happy to answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-733-0888.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Carol, we can absolutely help you with setting up a living trust. Our packages start at $249.00 or you may benefit even more with an estate plan bundle. Call us at 1-866-738-2980 for more information.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Questions? Get answers from the LegalZoom staff and other customers.

3 Photos for LegalZoom