Review of LawnStarter

Austin, TX 78701, United States
Tel: +1 410-469-8916

christye17
11/21/19
This was the worst experience! First, it was great, justified the higher price that comes with dealing with a 3rd party. But, that guy quit. Next person they send out, days later, looks like a meth head. Shows up and walks around my house, including my backyard, before he ever came to the door to announce who he was. His truck was beat up clunker and his "equipment" was a junk yard mower, rake and garbage can. I have better equipment in the garage. I tell him no thanks, I'll call Lawn Stars in the morning... oh yeah he showed up at 7pm! Then sits outside my house for 45 minutes. Weird, but whatever. We tell lawnstars that we expect better. They said it would be another week, at least, to have someone out, but they would not charge us for any extra clippings (picking up after themselves). They send out another push mower guy (I happened not to be home) and it looked like my 10 year old, that's never used a mower, did it and left the extra clippings. Call again, they apologize said the next would be better and no charge (because THEY DON'T EVER DO REFUNDS... this will be important later) and they'll send someone tomorrow to pick up the clippings, at no charge. We decide to give them yet another chance. Of course, they charge us for them to come out to pick up clippings ($5 less than an actual mow). Call them again, they offer yet another free mow for the mistake. They finally have a better person come out, not as good but at this point we're beyond frustrated and it's almost end of the season. The end of October we decide to cancel the service, we'll do if it's needed. We text (they can see the texts) the mower and tell him not to come, send the company and email and call to cancel. The next week the mower marks it done and then marks it "skipped" meaning he didn't mow. They still charged us!! We disputed it with the bank and them. They agreed he didn't come and they wouldn't dispute the bank... they did. We call back yet again, they see their mistake and will refund. Then call back and say they can't bc it wasn't cancelled "correctly" until the 22nd... even though the mow that was skipped and charged was on the 29th. They can not refund it. Even though they admit there was no service provided. When you call, they can rarely take care of it, you need a supervisor. A supervisor has to call you back, which takes a day or never happens. Then they need to transfer you to their supervisors, which have to call you back. The whole thing is a scam. DO NOT USE THESE PPL... save the $20 middle man fee and find another service.
shawnf88
11/17/19
They never show up when they are supposed to but they are certainly happy to charge you for it. Then when you cancel your service they'll charge you again because you didn't cancel fast enough. I'll stick with getting my lawn mowed by Jorge. He can't speak English but at least he shows up on time, not to mention he charges less.
briand617
11/6/19
Everything you are reading here is true. I have recently used LawnStarter myself and it started out OK, but I did notice they were cutting the grass far too short. Then, they replaced my crew with someone who just kept rescheduling and even said that they mowed my lawn when they didn't even touch it! I asked for a refund and delayed my service and all they did was add a balance to my account (not refund my card) and still charged me for another service that was never completed!!! This company comes as close to fraud as you can imagine...
terrancej13
11/2/19
These guys scheduled and then canceled on me twice. The last time they showed up I told them no one would be there. They rang the door bell and left. I need someone reliable.these guys are definitely not!!!
Last msg was "go ahead leave a bad review it won't keep me from working" Way to run a business .
anthonym639
10/24/19
The lawn guy postponed scheduled date to mow lawn 3x. Stated was going on vacation and when he returned he would complete the job on a specific date. He never showed. Called Lawn Starter and was told they could not locate anyone in my area? Thanks for the notice 1 month later. Avoid this "Company" at all costs. Can you give Zero stars?
carolynd141
10/21/19
Lawn mower man came out and measured my grass and did not give me a bill or statement saying that I was being charged for long grass. I do not have a picture, didn't know I would need it. I am not saying that my grass wasn't long, I was not told verbal or paper bill that I was getting an extra $41 added to my bill and taken from my account. My agreement was for mowing only any over the mowing fee should have been reported in a bill.
johnl1732
10/17/19
As low as $25 for a professional level mow and trim for your yard in the Greensboro, NC area. This company has clearly done a bad job with customer service and seemingly ditched their business model at this point. To avoid paying a higher price for your lawn service and start to get reliable on time care, please email or call me at:

*******308
*****@gmail.com

Thank you. John.
kentb255
10/14/19
Working for Lawnstarter was worst thing I ever done. They gave so so many bad reviews but believe me it's not due to the mowers it's the people in the office. They don't answer emails for 2 to 3 days and that's why rescheduling takes place. It's like having someone do brain surgery when they never done it. Same here. Guarantee those people in office don't even know how to crank a mower. They can't done one small yard and it paid 36 then went to next one and it was at least a acre. Took me 3.5 hours and it pain 19. Mowers get frustrated and call in or email and u never here nothing. Bad bad bad company. Great ideal but as usual issues are from within
tracys363
10/14/19
I asked for a quote for additional work to clear some bushed and trees - the day they started I received a message that the crew underbid the job and it would be $250.00 more - called the corporate office - was told they would still have to complete the work - got another message from the crew that it did not include hauling away everything that was cut down that it would be additional charge - another call to corporate office - meanwhile crew showed up once more then went missing - multiple calls and emails including to supervisor and was told they would send ANOTHER crew to complete - it's now a month later - there's a big pile of branches still sitting in my yard - the work is not complete and all they offered was a partial refund and a credit to finally get things hauled off - oh and btw - in order to do that I still have to have service for that to happen!! STAY FAR AWAY from this company - I will be posting my experience everywhere I can and am thinking of filing a complaint with the BBB - AFTER my refund of course!
evanm110
10/9/19
I have had nothing but a terrible time with this unreliable and unprofessional company. They killed half of my lawn and won't repay or fix it. They cut the grass so short it dies immediately. Please pass this on so others don't incur this unnecessary costs to repair their lawns. I ask that others please pass this on. This company is a complete fraud.
juliev87
10/1/19
The guy was late twice! Gave us a time and showed up late! He didn't show up the third time, I got charged!! I email them about being charged for a service that was not completed!! They said they will give me my refund but instead I got charged again! That was in July-August. Now going into August I kept receiving emails through different people responding to me back. I showed them proofs of messages exchange from my husband and the guy who was suppose to show up and never did. They told me they could not give me a refund because my grass was cut, the dumbest part of it was that they have the audacity to send me a picture of a house lawn cut that was NOT even my house! I did get my refund back for be double charge. it's october now and I'm still waiting for my refund in July that I was charge for no service! I'm sick and tired of having to email them about my refund, they kept telling me 5-10 business days but it's october 1. This happened since July, I contact them in August!

*bad service! Bad customer services!
ryanr295
9/24/19
This is hands down the worst lawn service and app. The concept is great, the execution and service is as poor as it can get. There is nothing hassle free about using LawnStarter and it is more like babysitting. Most of their 5 star reviews are clearly submitted by bots which shows how low this company will go. I have had nothing but headaches and wasting time dealing with them.

For starters, when I first signed up for LawnStarter the very first crew they sent out came to my house, took pictures of my property, and then proceeded to ask for more money than the quote given by LawnStarter because it was not worth it for their crew to cut my yard. But it was worth it for them to come out and waste their time over $6. After that I had 2 other crews cancel for no reason. When I called LawnStarter they apologized and said they would put their top rated crew on it. Guess who the top rated crew was. That's right the crew that wanted more money!!

I also had an instance where they said they came to my house but my gate was locked so they couldn't cut my yard. My gate doesn't lock and I checked my cameras and no one showed up. This is pretty common to have them mark a job complete when it wasn't done, or you constantly get rescheduled. If you sign up for weekly service expect it to be closer to a week and a half to two weeks.

You will have nothing but crew changes and cancellations when using LawnStarter and their crews do a crappy job most of the time. The crews just use this as filler on slow days and could careless because you are not their actual customer, you are LawnStarter's customer. They say they only use their top rated providers but what does that mean when they are all rated poor? Your top provider would maybe be a 3 stars out of 5. Save your time and call around to find a company that you can become a customer of instead of dealing with these headaches.

I could go on and on with stories of how bad this company is and I only used them for 2 months!!!!
wandas207
9/24/19
I was double billed for my two first lawn services because the lawn crew said the grass was too long. Asked for shorter time span between cuts and they delayed it until it was too long again. They sent a push mower crew in the dark to do my acre of grass. When I sent them home before work started I was charged in full. Customer services says too bad and won't return calls.
Scammers and sharks. DO NOT EVER USE LAWN STARTERS.
jessem195
9/21/19
This place has so many bad reviews. I'm licensed and insured lawn care company in Brevard county. I just recently started the business a year ago. I was thinking maybe I can start a second crew and signed up for this as a subcontractor I guess. But kept telling me I wasn't approved how does a licensed and insured company with a good reputation not get approved. But after seeing these reviews I wouldn't want my truck with my company name at one of their properties. If anyone has any questions you may call me at *******274 name Jesse. Also my brother who works for better business bureau is looking into this company as well as of now. Will post all complaints when I get them from better business bureau. As of right now that I know of there are 82 lawsuits pending.
moniquem62
9/21/19
My husband hired their service but the only thing we got was a changes on our account! They said they had the wrong address and did my neighbors!?! Which they didn't cause their lawn is always perfect & done by her husband & son! So I asked her if a lawn service "LawnStarter" came to cut her lawn?She told me I stay at home & I would know if a lawn service came to cut my lawn!! So I called and had to give them my address AGAIN! Got an email stating the day they would come out! Then on the day they should have cut MY lawn I got another email they skipped the service because it wasn't needed!!?! I called AGAIN! I said I have pics my lawn DOES NEED IT & they DIDN'T come to my house! They told me AGAIN they had the wrong address! REALLY?? A company can be that DUMB??!! YES!!!! They would send somebody out the next day! NEVER happened!!! Then the NEXT Week!! I was back & forth with them in email & phone wanting the service or my money back! They only gave false promises of lawn service! So I demanded my money back because they NEVER completed their part of the agreement! AGAIN they kept emailing me it would be refunded! But it NEVER was in the 7-10 business days they said! I gave them 20 business days! That's when I called my bank to dispute the charges & have LawnStarter investigated cause now they have to deal with a bank that wants their money back!! My bank gave me the money back NOT LawnStarter! Plus I have every email from LawnStarter, phone calls I made to them & pics of my lawn they NEVER cut (date & times).,. IF my bank needed them!! They wouldn't have gotten a number rating ONLY if it was a choice!!!
***ALWAYS have proof because there are always 3 sides to a story!! Yours, Theirs & PROOF!!***
jasonl349
9/18/19
I suggest staying away from this company. They ripped me off while I was working for them. They think you should work for free apparently and think you should cut high grass for free l.
coleens10
9/18/19
I was looking at the reviews on Lawn Starter and I see several different bad reviews. I wanted to let you know that my husband and I own a lawn business in Jacksonville Fl. We service all of the surrounding areas, Yulee, Fernandina, Kingsland Ga, Ponte Vedra, st Augustine, etc and we are starting to accept more clients and we would be honored to come take a look at your grass and give you an estimate to maintenance your lawn. We make sure every yard is done the proper way and we do not leave any yard unfinished. We are currently servicing all of the captain D's in Jacksonville, Starke, orange Park and Camden county. We also service real estate companies and several residentials. We have references if you would like. We are not a now, blow and go company. We mow, weed eat, hedge trim, edge, blow and weed control. You can contact me at *******438. Thank you!
jeremyi10
9/17/19
This service is horrible!!!! If I could give it no stars Oh BELIEVE ME I WOULD!!! Every time they came I had to complain!! All they do is give you a 15 dollar credit!! Or come out and re do!! Why should I have it re done if I pay to have it done right the first time!!! Clippings everywhere half way trimmed no edging 3 out of 7 bushes cut not evenly either and I paid 97 dollars to have all 7 cut they did 3!! Beyond horrible customer service!! Said I was going to get full refund !! Nope get passed on to 4 other ppl all saying something different!! Charge you when you say not to charge until my account can cover it!! Overdraft you just to get there money!! Greedy!!! Cancelled a cut with out notice changed lawn company on me then that company tells me how horrible first company did really!!! If your signed up or looking into it RUN RUN RUN!!!!
nk54
9/13/19
horrible service cancel appointments; they contract out the service to direct lawn services so you never get the same company. horrible work; if you live in Memphis stay away from this company
geraldl125
9/10/19
They kept changing the dates of service and never showed up. Then 900 PM I would get emails telling me they were changing the date again after waiting all day for then to show up. Grass is now 15 in tall in spots and I have to pay some one else 3 times as much to fix what they messed up. DO NOT USE LAWNSTARTERS!!!
robertp1056
9/8/19
Outright fraud

There is zero accountability for LawnStarter's contractors--no before & after photos, no scheduling oversight, and no recourse for customers. Our assigned crew billed for work that was not completed on three separate occasions, broke our back gate, and never adhered to the weekly mowing schedule. LawnStarter customer service did not offer any help whatsoever.
andrewr443
9/6/19
They ruined my lawn with one cut. Scalped my lawn three weeks before my weeding scheduled at my home. Did not weed wack, left grass clippings, mower deck was uneven.
Tried to get my shrubs clipped before wedding. More than three attempts to get them trimmed before finally giving up and cancelling the service.
Will never use their service again.
colleens125
8/31/19
I am a widow and travel most of the summer and depended on this service to keep my lawn looking nice weekly. The first few weeks were great but we had many delays for weather and the last one was almost 3 weeks without a mow. My lawn looked terrible and I called and texted both my crew and the company but did not receive a call or anyone out to fix the situation. I was offered a new crew but not for 4 days more and was told I wouldn't have to pay the "overgrown" fee...WHAT???? Very disappointing and frustrating. They are not dependable.
lamiak
8/29/19
Just a snip it of the email I got and the reply: I complained that they missed a weed and now it's tall. theyve been cutting corners....

Charlotte P via zendesk.com
Aug 27, 2019, 2:01 PM (1 day ago)
to me

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Hi Lamia,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your **Lawn Mowing** service and I'm so sorry this happened.

After reviewing your request, I noticed the service occurred on **Aug 14, 2019.** We're always happy to re-evaluate a service should any issues be reported to us within a **5-day** **window**.

However, after this period of time, natural growth of the lawn can obscure important details and make it difficult for us to review the situation. But, we still want to make this right so I will go ahead and add a **$15** credit to your account for the trouble and ensure your crew is aware of the issue. This will apply to your future bill.

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you. This is definitely not the kind of service we want you to experience.

Let me know should you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Charlotte
LawnStarter Support

[R5R9GL-57LR]

Lamia Kadir
8:36 PM (4 minutes ago)
to LawnStarter

i find this so funny. FT mom who has 3 kids contracted your biz to mow our lawn. Expectation that you do at least the minimum, mow the WHOLE YARD and not CUT corners (pun intended). I then after a long hard day am supposed to verify YOU did your job and have 5 days to contact you (while exhausted) if YOU DID NOT do a good job.

That's like saying, you were supposed to remove my entire APPENDIX out and I have 5 days to let you know you made a mistake?????

Ridiculous, Lamia Kadir,MD
wendyd153
8/29/19
I use lawn starter to maintain my mother's lawn. She is in Virginia and I'm in Colorado. I received notice when service is expected and when it is done.Awesome.

It is a total scam. The "pros" utilized are not qualified to do legitimate lawn care, they do not adhere to the outlined schedule, and are completely fine billing you for work they didn't do. The App has zero recourse for customers for inaccurate billings because customer service is run by some outsourced bot factory.

By Robert P.

Find another lawn service!! What you want they cannot provide! I had a month of excuses and lies! Only charges for NO service!! I had to dispute the charges with my bank because they said they were going to refund my money but never did!!

By Monique M.

Their app is really confusing. Like really confusing. You don't get paid for like a week later. If you get a picky customer, forget about it, you just won't get paid

By Jason L.

Questions? Get answers from the LawnStarter staff and other customers.

LawnStarter?