Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente has a consumer rating of 2.62 stars from 90 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Kaiser Permanente most frequently mention customer service, health care and open enrollment problems. Kaiser Permanente ranks 10th among Health Insurance sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 14.3%

• Kaiser has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but they offer good, cheap health insurance.

• It is clear that the KP customer service budget has gone into masked selling activities instead of solutions.
How would you rate Kaiser Permanente?

“Excellent doctor Noah Nader Niufar in Tracy, from Viet Hoang CA”

Viet H.
6/27/21

I have the skin problems, itchy and joint pain on my wrists and knees. During five months, other regular paycheck workers or doctors only made referrals. But within one week, Dr. Niufar with his thorough treatment and duty of care of the excellent doctor who cleared all of the problems with kenalog injection and Prednisone medication. I hope that Kaiser keeps hiring miracle doctors like him who cam provide the healthy living to the patient who trusted the health system like Kaiser. Thanks for the treatment.

“Unbelievably crap - never again”

Maria A.
1/12/21

I am only in the second week of January and this is already my worst healthcare ever. I'm a registered nurse & I've lived in 6 US states & 3 different countries. That includes the United Kingdom which provides the dreaded "Socialized Medicine". (Get over it America - it's better than anything you'll ever experience.) Nothing - but nothing - beats the sheer indifference & incompetence of Kaiser.

health insurance (3) customer service (5)
mariaa1228
January 12th, 2021

oliverb88
March 11th, 2020

My partner has stage IV cancer. The treatment he is receiving from Kaiser is really substandard. He goes months without seeing his oncologist; everything is done via e-mail, no physical examinations. While other organizations have cancer teams to deal with the side effects of chemo and other problems one might have, with Kaiser your basically on your own. If you feel sick, send your doctor an e-mail. They might answer it. It sucks. Stay away from this horrible organization.

jennym361
September 27th, 2020

Called several times to Kaiser. Spoke to Aurora and she could not help hung up on me when I explained to her we were frustrated about our services. We have called to utilize our insurance because my husband works in construction and got a follicle or something in his eye! Kaiser did not help us we needed to go to Walmart Dr to check because Kaiser could not help him unless ER! What? Crazy? Why do we pay for ins? Then all your representatives have no clue what they are talking about and hung up on me! Very disappointed!

vieth9
June 27th, 2021

twinklet2
July 4th, 2020

Out-patient care is good if you doctor hunt and find a good doctor. Some specialist are good but most are mediocre at best and when you are really sick (me) and go to the hospital that's when it all goes down hill. Dirty, old hospitals with terrible "care". They run tests, kick you out the door and mean time still suffering. NO diagnosis or misdiagnosis. Trying real hard to switch plans. Need to wait for open enrollment. Hope I'm still alive by then.

susanm2075
August 12th, 2020

My employer switched to Kaiser last open enrollment period so I had to as well. Pre pandemic they were ok. Couldn't get in to see a dr but at least video calls were available. Since the pandemic forget it. When I call or my son does, as he's on the plan, we are lost in a sea of prompts and if we get lucky and get an "appointment " the dr who is supposed to call back doesn't. It's awful.

jrp25
January 25th, 2021

I have Kaiser their chiropractor broke my arm, he is in hiding Kaiser committed Medicare fraud, I have had 4 surgery's on my arm lost the use of my arm and Kaiser has had 15 months to step up and be responsible and to this day they still have not stepped up! Stay away from this corrupt insurance company it about the money not health care the CEO of Kaiser is paid 227 million a year. I a m going to attach the bind with the state of Colorado and Kaiser attorneys lie going after their attorneys also

Products used:
Your staff sucks your chiropractors suck your admin sucks

catherinee130
June 12th, 2021

Kaiser makes many things easy, but it has become either greedy, or unable to hire enough health practitioners to provide timely appointments. Two months is too long to wait. I also had a very weird issue where I booked an appt, but Kaiser called to cancel 2 days prior, due to COVID. Their medical software, or a tech, took my suggested reason for that appointment, and inserted a record with that diagnosis, as if I'd been seen. They even extended the issue to both eyes. I've never seen this Dr in my life. They repeatedly billed me, I told them it never occurred, the doctor said she'd fix it, but billing refused to remove the fake record and sent the bill to collection. After 6 months of my emails, they modified some records to extend the falsehood, making the cancelation phone call a 'telemedicine' call, which it was not. So they stick to a lie rather than admit a mistake, which seems like an unhealthy business culture to me.

johns8826
May 30th, 2021

Kaiser Permanente has been part of my life for decades. Since 2016 their care SUCKS, Especially their Mental Health. Every Doctor and Nurse I've seen has told me they constantly live in fear that Kaiser is going to get rid of them. One employee told me recently that their current executive leadership said in an all hands meeting that Kaiser doesn't care about quality anymore, if things are 80% that's good enough. I'm having to go outside of Kaiser to get competent Healthcare. All executives currently at KP should be immediately fired.

Products used:
Healthcare and Mental Healthcare.

paryav
February 4th, 2021

This is my first time visit by Dr. Sepideh Mirfakhraei, as a registered nurse in California I've never seen anyone Practitioner/ primary doctor like her, so respectful and welcoming manner, knowledgeable, good listener and so many more, specially during Covid! This doctor deserves many times 5 star reviews, unfortunately I can only place on time review. I believe people are working in this office are so blessed to have this doctor besides them, I wish I was her assistant.

brianh1896
July 7th, 2021
Verified purchase

I purchased the Kaiser Gold Health Plan, which is the most expensive, hoping to get good access to care and customer service. The Doctors and Nurses are great, but Kaiser Health Plan has absolutely abysmal customer service. Contacting member services is intentionally convoluted by a complex phone tree with an automated voice system that often hangs up after leaving customers on hold for hours. It is a miserable customer experience that wastes countless hours for patients. Moreover, Kaiser consistently exploits designed loopholes in coverage to prevent from paying bills they rightfully owe. Finally, they demand customers provide their social security number just to speak to a customer service representative. This is a serious, reckless, and gross security breach and a violation of customer privacy. They could validate customer information in many ways - which would be compliant with all regulations, for example birth date. Instead, they exploit customers and their data to their advantage without regard for their customers security or general interests. It is a shame the government continues to pour billions in profit into this company for virtually no value in return, there needs to be competition in the healthcare marketplace so insurance companies can't treat their customers without respect.

marthac312
July 9th, 2020

Please don't go to kaiser my daughter is being having uti issues and the doctors don't care now her results came back with protein on her urine no one call her back to follow up, she had to call them numerous time, she sent them email without anyone reaching out to her, finally after a week of bugging them they told her that she should take antibiotics because she's an infection... really after a week? Kaiser is a dangerous place to take your love ones.

aldoc36
March 5th, 2021

I had a terrible experience with Dr. Johnny Moreno Orozco from Lake Forest Kaiser Office, Kaiser did not take my complaint. Then I find out this Doctor make a false after visit report and again Kaiser do not wants to take my complaint. VERY DISSATISFIED

harlowc
March 14th, 2021

Members of the Southern California branches of Kaiser Permanente who are not seniors can be vaccinated if they have a medical condition. I have mild asthma, I am under sixty-five, and I received my first Covid-19 vaccination shot at a Kaiser facility almost one week ago. Hooray for KPSOCAL!

Moderna

shabnamh3
June 8th, 2021

I went to see Dr. kenning at kaiser.
I had an infected bellybutton. She was more concerned about eating her lunch, than examining me and taking culture of my bellybutton fluid. She is horrible.

carmellap5
June 8th, 2021

If you want to die, come on down to Kaiser where they are always short staffed and incompetent individuals that work here. If the Er is full start moving people into rooms upstairs. My husband had cone in for stomach pains and nausea. We checked in at 10:30 pm they ran all kinds of tests won't let family in the waiting rooms most likely because we would light a fire under there butts and it's 1:28am and still nothing no results no okay let's see if this could be going on nothing. This hospital should close its doors cause it's awful the worst. I hope corporate does read this. I would love to tell them how awful the service is and it's not the first tine either. Come November when my husband has to change his insurance plan thru work Kaiser can kiss this family good bye.

almal40
June 8th, 2020

I had Kaiser years ago and was treated badly by a physician's assistant who kept cutting me off mid sentence. He was the most arrogant and patronizing person I'd ever encountered, and I was brought to tears by how angry I was! I chose to switch to a PPO but had to go back to save money. But I just had a run in with a phone appointment operator who talked down to me and gave me a guilt trip for taking too long to return their call so they had to "close out" the request and make a new one and she really seemed put out by that, even after I explained that I'm an overwhelmed teacher at the end of my school year. I really regret going back to them and plan to find other insurance as soon as I can. Their customer service SUCKS!

britaw1
July 22nd, 2021

Tundre and Paula in the lab went above and beyond the call of duty. My lab oder expired when I went in last night. They called the doctor, it was 730pm, to get the order back in the system. Took a half an hour but the results were I could take my test. Love them both. It was my mistake but they fixed it. And happily.

lauriec209
December 5th, 2019

Everything about kaiser is complicated and unnecessary. Just trying to call to make an appointment is a nightmare you can do it online which hardly ever works you have to repeat your information to three people before you can even talk to the department you're wanting to. Their online website is very annoying and when you call the Calls service center you'll be put on hold for the rest of your life find another medical company if you can, trust me.

martys17
March 18th, 2018

As another reviewer noted "Are we talking about the same Kaiser?"
Simply, living in Northern California, I've been with Kaiser for decades.
And, as I've gotten older, their attention to the 'normal' maladies that effect us as we all age has been outstanding.
Granted, and fortunately, I'm a healthy 60ish with no major health issues (knock on wood).
They've even performed preventative screenings because of my age.
I've nothing but praise and support for the professionals that I've met over the years.
Best wishes...

sandyb448
June 24th, 2020

Good points: everything under 1 roof, easy referrals to other departments since everyone is connected in the same organization, easy to pick up prescriptions, can email doctor and even send pics, can save time to avoid scheduling an appointment. Better than having no health insurance at all.

Bad points: Kaiser is the Walmart of medicine. They will smile, and then do the absolute bare minimum, with the expectation that the patient should be the one to tell them what's wrong and what procedures they want and what medication to prescribe. Doctors and nurses are overbooked and emotionally absent. They move patients through like an assembly system. Each patient is just a number and a time stamp and a dollar amount. Classes are full of useless information. Lactation consultants aren't adequately trained. X-ray/Radiologists barely even look at you as they hurry through the procedure. Expect to hear patients yelling in the hallways as they loose patience with the substandard care, especially for sick or elderly relatives. The medical professionals literally don't care if they hurt you during a procedure, and are unnecessarily rough during procedures. They just tell you to stop being a baby, even if you're crying or can't breathe.

tonyt29
June 16th, 2021

My husband contracted covid in Jan 2021, emailed his primary hoping to get at least meds to aid him as he has a-fib heart condition. Was not looking for a 2 hour turnaround, but his doctor, Dr. Paul, never ever contacted him. Three days later with myself and daughter advocating for him as he was too sick we got another dr. at Kaiser to prescribe meds. I am not with Kaiser and I got help as I contracted covid within 24 hours. He went to the ER at one point, but I believe the worst was over and he was offered no treatment. However, they told him he had diabetes and had had it since June when his blood sugar was over 300 and at the ER was 330. His primary missed this as well and failed to tell him he was diabetic form June to Jan. Needless to say we have switched primary care physicians. Kaiser is has slipped horribly since he first selected that plan and I believe they absolutely no longer deserve their 5 star Medicare rating. To be fair the doctor he finally got help from (late in the game) really helped him via telecon and scrips, now couldn't his primary Dr. Paul do right by him absolutely no explanation no contact really poor on his part. Filed a non-Medicare grievance and was told simply oh well he finally got help and will let the team know about his experience - no action taken. Should have filed a Medicare grievance but didn't and didn't know he was not given any diabetic help when he first became a diabetic and as a result now has diabetic retinopathy, which may have been avoided if he was given care and meds sooner. Kaiser in our opinion caused him harm, not help.

Tip for consumers:
Compare Medicare Plans yourself do not rely upon Medicare star ratings, which may no longer be deserved.

linday27
March 31st, 2017

Love their integrated approach to medicine. All my records are centralized online, no long wait for specialists, can tackle the mundane to complex

carols57
November 23rd, 2019

I have a Bronze plan with KP. They are not interested in your healthcare, it is merely a business doing its best to screw you, the patient, out of as much money as possible. It is obscene that I have paid over $7500 this year for "health insurance" and the only treatment I've received is one free flu shot. The state of healthcare in America is atrocious. All health insurance companies need serious regulatory changes. KP, Lifewise, Regency, Molina, they are all a big scam it is endemic and everyone knows it.

mr644
November 10th, 2020

I have been a part of the Kaiser network since I was a child. As a matter of fact, I was born there and my children were too. Unfortunately, recently, I discovered a Kaiser that I hope no one ever has to experience. Prior to two months ago, I really appreciated the Kaiser network. However, that has drastically changed. A family member was diagnosed with a serious disease that resulted in being hospitalized. I never realized that Kaiser will provide decent care until 21 days and then rush you out because they don't get paid. I didn't realize that Kaiser is a drug dealing business machine who "thrives" on drugging their patients to feel better. Doctors rush through to see as many patients as possible as time is money. 15 minutes in and out. Their case managers maintain the company line of what they can't do, won't do. One of their social workers rushed off the phone. One doctor did not return my call for 5 days even though the system showed she received messages. When she finally called, she said well I saw you called so i am calling but I don't have time see you and you're not even in my area. Even though my family member is her patient. I have so many stories. If you have the option of not choosing this network, don't. They are ok for general wellness care, but anything related to hospital care is extremely poor. If you ever end up on the hospital side or need specialized care, you will quickly discover how uncompassionate, uncaring, and how much they merely are about the Business of Kaiser versus anyone as a patient.

Questions? Get answers from the Kaiser Permanente staff and other customers.

Staying healthy is easier with the right support. Visit kp.org to learn how we customize care and coverage just for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Have a question about Kaiser Permanente?