Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente has a consumer rating of 2.91 stars from 67 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Kaiser Permanente most frequently mention physical therapy problems. Kaiser Permanente ranks 3rd among Health Insurance sites.

• Kaiser has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but they offer good, cheap health insurance.

• It is clear that the KP customer service budget has gone into masked selling activities instead of solutions.
How would you rate Kaiser Permanente?

“My Apology to KP Staff Members,”

John W.
10/22/19

A few weeks ago, I levied a negative review of medical care being provided by Kaiser Permanente. Now, I feel compelled to extend my apology to KP's medical team for my recent allegations/complaints. I extend an apologize based on the following reasons: Upon hearing of my complaints, I was immediately contacted by medical staff members expressing concern over my complaints. Without delay, my personal physician and others, identified and eliminated the sources of my frustrations. I'm impressed by the urgency with witch my complaints have been addressed. Apparently, my issues had festered due to miscommunications and a level of misunderstandings on my part. Again, I extend my apology based on the speed with which my frustrations were identified and resolved. In retrospect, I must say that the Kaiser Permanente motto "We Aim to Please" is well justified. Thank you very much. J. Wise

“Medice via e-mail”

Oliver B.
3/11/20

My partner has stage IV cancer. The treatment he is receiving from Kaiser is really substandard. He goes months without seeing his oncologist; everything is done via e-mail, no physical examinations. While other organizations have cancer teams to deal with the side effects of chemo and other problems one might have, with Kaiser your basically on your own. If you feel sick, send your doctor an e-mail. They might answer it. It sucks. Stay away from this horrible organization.

health insurance (3) customer service (5)
oliverb88
March 11th, 2020
jennym361
September 27th, 2020
Called several times to Kaiser. Spoke to Aurora and she could not help hung up on me when I explained to her we were frustrated about our services. We have called to utilize our insurance because my husband works in construction and got a follicle or something in his eye! Kaiser did not help us we needed to go to Walmart Dr to check because Kaiser could not help him unless ER! What? Crazy? Why do we pay for ins? Then all your representatives have no clue what they are talking about and hung up on me! Very disappointed!
twinklet2
July 4th, 2020
Out-patient care is good if you doctor hunt and find a good doctor. Some specialist are good but most are mediocre at best and when you are really sick (me) and go to the hospital that's when it all goes down hill. Dirty, old hospitals with terrible "care". They run tests, kick you out the door and mean time still suffering. NO diagnosis or misdiagnosis. Trying real hard to switch plans. Need to wait for open enrollment. Hope I'm still alive by then.
susanm2075
August 12th, 2020
My employer switched to Kaiser last open enrollment period so I had to as well. Pre pandemic they were ok. Couldn't get in to see a dr but at least video calls were available. Since the pandemic forget it. When I call or my son does, as he's on the plan, we are lost in a sea of prompts and if we get lucky and get an "appointment " the dr who is supposed to call back doesn't. It's awful.
marthac312
July 9th, 2020
Please don't go to kaiser my daughter is being having uti issues and the doctors don't care now her results came back with protein on her urine no one call her back to follow up, she had to call them numerous time, she sent them email without anyone reaching out to her, finally after a week of bugging them they told her that she should take antibiotics because she's an infection... really after a week? Kaiser is a dangerous place to take your love ones.
tinas38
September 29th, 2014
Better than no insurance I guess, and one extra star for Dr. Mandoza, who was really the only good thing about them. This is cattle call insurance, they do the minimum and their individual plans are pretty expensive. Wouldn't recommend.
almal40
June 8th, 2020
I had Kaiser years ago and was treated badly by a physician's assistant who kept cutting me off mid sentence. He was the most arrogant and patronizing person I'd ever encountered, and I was brought to tears by how angry I was! I chose to switch to a PPO but had to go back to save money. But I just had a run in with a phone appointment operator who talked down to me and gave me a guilt trip for taking too long to return their call so they had to "close out" the request and make a new one and she really seemed put out by that, even after I explained that I'm an overwhelmed teacher at the end of my school year. I really regret going back to them and plan to find other insurance as soon as I can. Their customer service SUCKS!
lauriec209
December 5th, 2019
Everything about kaiser is complicated and unnecessary. Just trying to call to make an appointment is a nightmare you can do it online which hardly ever works you have to repeat your information to three people before you can even talk to the department you're wanting to. Their online website is very annoying and when you call the Calls service center you'll be put on hold for the rest of your life find another medical company if you can, trust me.
sandyb448
June 24th, 2020
Good points: everything under 1 roof, easy referrals to other departments since everyone is connected in the same organization, easy to pick up prescriptions, can email doctor and even send pics, can save time to avoid scheduling an appointment. Better than having no health insurance at all.

Bad points: Kaiser is the Walmart of medicine. They will smile, and then do the absolute bare minimum, with the expectation that the patient should be the one to tell them what's wrong and what procedures they want and what medication to prescribe. Doctors and nurses are overbooked and emotionally absent. They move patients through like an assembly system. Each patient is just a number and a time stamp and a dollar amount. Classes are full of useless information. Lactation consultants aren't adequately trained. X-ray/Radiologists barely even look at you as they hurry through the procedure. Expect to hear patients yelling in the hallways as they loose patience with the substandard care, especially for sick or elderly relatives. The medical professionals literally don't care if they hurt you during a procedure, and are unnecessarily rough during procedures. They just tell you to stop being a baby, even if you're crying or can't breathe.
carols57
November 23rd, 2019
I have a Bronze plan with KP. They are not interested in your healthcare, it is merely a business doing its best to screw you, the patient, out of as much money as possible. It is obscene that I have paid over $7500 this year for "health insurance" and the only treatment I've received is one free flu shot. The state of healthcare in America is atrocious. All health insurance companies need serious regulatory changes. KP, Lifewise, Regency, Molina, they are all a big scam it is endemic and everyone knows it.
davidj634
February 18th, 2019
This website hasn't had any substantial improvements in years. It's really outdated. One example of this is the messaging center. Instead of the obvious format of all emails in one area, you have to select which area to view emails. So, you can't read emails from your doctor in the same screen as emails from customer service or pharmacy, etc. This makes it arduous to try to read emails or look at sent emails.

The process to get prescriptions is also archaic and time consuming, requiring way to many screens and key presses. It often doesn't show past prescriptions so you have to track down old bottles to copy the information down.

They really need to bring the interface to modern standards.
robc230
February 12th, 2020
Avoid this company at all costs. Everything about this company is 3rd World, but then again, 3rd World countries probably have better care than Kaiser. If you need an appointment, they will gladly see you 4-6 months from now. Their doctors are the best that phony Caribbean schools can offer (except for the few doctors who went to legitimate schools, but have had a few malpractice 'hiccups' along the way). And wait to you deal with their over-the-phone system... straight out of 1975, complete with accidental hang-ups (if they really are accidental). Yes, you can have all of this great treatment for the low price of $1000+ a month, along with a high deductible. Avoid this company if you can.
cb529
January 30th, 2020
I am so disappointed in Kaiser. We have had Kaiser for over 40 years. We have always been extremely satisfied with both the high quality of care and ease of obtaining a appointment when needed. (San Diego and surrounding areas and Woodland Hills and surrounding area). We have a choice on our healthcare and Kaiser is more expensive then their competitors, but we have always felt that it was worth the cost. We moved to the Inland Empire a few years ago and have continued to experienced a very difficult time just getting a appointment. Recently my husband has had heart issues and needs to be seen by either his cardiologist or his primary care physician. After 3 days of talking to the appointment center and nurses the appointments to be seen are 2 to 4 months out. This is unacceptable. The only solution they had was to suggest that he go to urgent care or the ER. It is evident that Kaiser Permanente in the Inland Empire does not have enough Physicians. So if you have a choice for your healthcare in the inland empire (Riverside, Corona, Moreno Valley, Palm Springs, San Bernardino, Redlands) I would strongly discourage you from choosing Kaiser. After 40 plus years it's time to choose a new Health Care provider. Unfortunately I have to rate with 1star when in Fact it should be Zero
jimh743
August 5th, 2020
There are many good people in the Kaiser organization. Sadly there is a bad element in the optical sales area. The tech said he was not lying he was just misinforming me. Any company can have a bad employee but it appears he was following the managements direction.
jano92
September 26th, 2020
Terrible service literally the worst possible. Doctors have lied to me several times. Classic magical cartel.
chelseap66
February 21st, 2020
Avoid at all costs! I have had a lump in my pelvic area for two months. I have had multiple apts and tests and spent over $400 in copays and tests with no results. They don't care and will put u on a wait for referral forever. Had to wait almost 2
Months to see a Gyno?! Kaisers a joke. Looking to spend over $1000 a month to pay for insurance just to avoid this cult
jesses212
May 3rd, 2020
I picked the absolutely most expensive I could find because I am a 37 year old man and I have never seen a doctor. I figured it would be good to be highly covered in case there was any problems.

I have had the insurance for 5 months now, I have yet to see a doctor (ok there was a pandemic) but then they skipped doing their scheduled phone doctor visit. I asked them if I could see a psychiatrist for depression and it was ignored.

I would like to get screened for all the things a 37 year old man that has never been to the doctor should get screened for. But they have not scheduled any tests or screenings - apparently I am supposed to schedule everything myself. Well, I don't even know what all things I should be taking care of - because I am not a doctor.

I have zero access to medical services of any kind - its just a scam to get me to pay for other people to get care.

Tip for consumers: We live in a post health care world. If you get cancer or something you are better off using this money to go to a country with nice beaches and enjoy a few days in paradise and just let nature kill you.

martys17
March 18th, 2018
As another reviewer noted "Are we talking about the same Kaiser?"
Simply, living in Northern California, I've been with Kaiser for decades.
And, as I've gotten older, their attention to the 'normal' maladies that effect us as we all age has been outstanding.
Granted, and fortunately, I'm a healthy 60ish with no major health issues (knock on wood).
They've even performed preventative screenings because of my age.
I've nothing but praise and support for the professionals that I've met over the years.
Best wishes...
lindseyr117
August 31st, 2020
Today I was at the Kaiser in San Bernardino ca on Date street I had to go in for blood work and urine, the nurse stopped me like they do every time i go in due to covid which is all good and understandable but whats not understandable is the fact that she refused to let me in saying I couldn't come in because I had my two children with me mind you I have no one that can watch them she began to get loud and super rude with me raising her voice and refused to get her supervisor so I asked the other nurse to please get her supervisor! This nurse was extremely unprofessional extremely rude and shouldn't treat anyone like that. The supervisor came out hot and bothered like i disturbed her and begins to tell me that nurse that was horrible to me has been on vacation and didn't know the new rules then walked away! Didnt pull that nurse aside or anything! Where is the training for these people?! I've had Kaiser for years and years i have NEVER EVER had the treatment I got today! When I asked her her name to give to member services she was so cocky and just rude.The nurses name was Rachel wouldnt give a last name and she was absolutely horrible she definitely picked the wrong career. Worst experience I have ever had at Kaiser!
juliem548
March 26th, 2019
Went to Zion to fill a prescription, they wouldn't fill one of them because my son is 5 months away from 18 years.
They did however fill it at another pharmacy.
By the time we could get it somewhere else, he was in so much pain.
She rolled her eyes around when I asked her to send it to another pharmacy.
Terrible place to go.
Kaiser took longer than the wisdom teeth extraction.
shil3
July 11th, 2020
This is my real experience, I am still under observation in a non-KP hospital.
At the end of 2018, I was warned by my KP-PCP that I was pre-diabetes.
During entire 2019, I did not bother to test or any follow up, my fault. My PCP was quiet too.
Then COVID-19 came in 2020, we kept ourselves home except necessary grocery shopping. Those days were boring and my life schedule changed a lot. Totally my fault.
20 days ago, I had a heart attack and called 911 and was sent to a non-KP heart center to install a stent. After 36 hours I was discharged. Any mistakes here? I am not sure but I got a feeling the heart center would have pondered my insurance to the risks I was carrying with my heart. During hospitalization, I was diagnosed diabetes and COVID-19 positive!
I was home, did a slight walk every day, ate on diet on time, took all prescribed medicines. And at the mean time, I reached KP for help, that is normal right? Believe me, KP is so hard to access. It is a combination of insurance and hospital. If it has too much medical costs, it'd be a lost of profit deducted from their premium income.
I told them I had COVID-19 positive but I need to see, even thru something like Zoom, my PCP, a specialist on diabetes, and a cardiologist. I did this thru mobile app which was good. My PCP would not answer. Perhaps she was struggling that my case was too big lost on KP's money side. Fortunately the heat center only kept him for 36 hours! Smart!
I did messaging but not calling because I tried many times but no luck. Who would keep your phone on for 6 hours and got a cut off finally? I am definitely that type. My PCP's nurse answered back 5 days later, "hey, calling us is more efficient, message will take 24-48 hours to get read". The point is, how do I know you read it or not? How can I arrange appointments to follow up all my surprises?
COVID-19 gave KP a super reason to refuse its insurance premium payer. I was exhausted to make an appointment with a diabetes nurse I especially told the caller (in a callback) I was COVID-19 positive. Still she arranged a on-site one. When I was at the door, all KP staff stood up, stared from a distance, I just could get in. I understood it, the nurse passed a word she will call me. She did not at that day but did it the next day same time. It was acceptable but honestly useless.
I also met remotely with my cardiologist but he did not make any changes to my prescription and would like to have an on-site appointment to get more information from me and the heart center. Sounds promising.
A week ago, I called 911 again due to a minute seizure and losing conscious. A different hospital still non-KP. I had a stomach bleeding because the medicines I was taking had a strong side-effect to bleed and today I am still in the hospital. Doctors here found I was also over-dosed for lowering my blood pressure and I had an incident of low pressure when I am in hospital. Oh lucky me. By the way, I told my family to take COVID-19 test a week later when I was tested, they are all negative! So I am the only positive even I kissed my kids everyday before I know the result. I asked a retest. The specimen was lost. Knew this after 2 days and was taken double specimen from both side of my nose and knew the result after 3 days, negative!
I consulted cardiologist here, after I am discharged I have to follow up with KP. But those days I tried and tried and KP was not responding. They may be discussing how to get rid of me as such a burden in which the premium is poorly not a match than the costs they foresee in the future? So they want to keep quiet until I make a decision to leave. I will, but this year they only played half game. I will improve their professionalism during the 2nd half! Becomes my job now!
dorothyh41
June 15th, 2019
I just got coverage in 1/2019. Met with Primary Dr. told her about the severe burning in throat and ears. Asked for Gastro Dr. Sent to ENT. Had to pay almost $600/CT scan. Acid reflux they say. Still asking for Gastro Dr. 6 mo. Later. I am 64 yrs. Old, thought I paid for April, paid for May-Cancelled. I called immediately once I realized mistake, wanted to pay to date. I technically only owed for May, it was 6/14/19. I was willing to pay for May and June.No... Cancelled. The burning in my throat and ears is beyond horrible. No answers. Still need Gastro Dr. Had to pay what I thought was $525.00 for CT scan, now it's almost $600.00. Cancelled- no ins. Have to wait till open enrollment... They really do not care about patients. I am getting old, never missed a payment. And still have severe burning, and I mean severe burning in my throat and ears. Bad! They treat you soo nice to your face, but I am still suffering. Worst ins. Company and place I ever have been to. They sure did fool me. Very Sad that a company could do this to a person. Horrible
caitlind35
May 10th, 2019
Hands down WORST physical therapy assessment I have ever received (and as an athlete I have been in physical therapy many times throughout my life). The first red flag was walking through the area where patients are seen and not a single soul is using any of the equipment or receiving any direct treatment from a therapist. Usually physical therapy offices are bustling with activity!

I was seen for about 25 minutes, the appointment felt very rushed. I was pressured to choose the part of my body that causes me "the most pain" even though I was insisting that the problem is my entire left leg and left side lower back and is not limited to any singular body part anymore (I reluctantly chose my foot). I was given several stretches and strengthening exercises and told "we'll see you in a few weeks" which I found puzzling. I asked if regular weekly sessions are something that is done at this facility and was told I could be seen sooner "if I wanted". Ah, I see how this works now.

As I am to understand it, it seems Kaiser's approach to physical therapy is sporadic rushed appointments where the patient is given some handouts to take home - handouts that I could certainly have found on my own with a few simple internet searches. No regular sessions to track progress and make adjustments as necessary? No manual therapy? No use of well known and effective tools to enhance a stretching and strengthening routine - like electric stim, dry needling, heat, ice, etc? And now I'm stuck with Kaiser and have no choice but to utilize the services of their many little medical factories serving up mediocre care at best. I will have to pay out of pocket if I want to receive quality care for my injuries or I will have to wait until next year where I will NOT be signing on with Kaiser again. SO very disappointed in myself for choosing Kaiser. And I'm just praying that I don't fall seriously ill or injured for the rest of 2019 so that I can steer clear from them. I do not expect that the rest of their medical care would be any different from the "physical therapy" I received. Thank you NEXT.
rondaj
October 18th, 2013
I had Kaiser for years and it was good until you get sick. Then it would probably better to have another health care plan.
lynnj71
April 2nd, 2019
The amount of care you get is based on their bonuses. Every time I ask for Taz every time it appears I need to test my cardiologist says doesn't sound like cardiac-related any simply back to my primary care doctor. Had a stent over a year ago won't give me a stress test now to see what's going on. I'm having pains in my upper chest says not heart-related go see your doctor first come and see me in 40 days that's the first available appointment. I'm not happy I changed cardiologist today hopefully the next guy will be better told I cannot change from Kaiser to Sharp Healthcare until October 15th. Again I'm not happy at all not happy at all not happy at all. Beware Kaiser will give you the minimum care if somebody wants you to sign up with Kaiser run.

Questions? Get answers from the Kaiser Permanente staff and other customers.

Staying healthy is easier with the right support. Visit kp.org to learn how we customize care and coverage just for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

2.9
Have a question about Kaiser Permanente?