Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente has a consumer rating of 2.8 stars from 71 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Kaiser Permanente most frequently mention physical therapy and open enrollment problems. Kaiser Permanente ranks 3rd among Health Insurance sites.

• Kaiser has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but they offer good, cheap health insurance.

• It is clear that the KP customer service budget has gone into masked selling activities instead of solutions.
How would you rate Kaiser Permanente?

“My Apology to KP Staff Members,”

John W.
10/22/19

A few weeks ago, I levied a negative review of medical care being provided by Kaiser Permanente. Now, I feel compelled to extend my apology to KP's medical team for my recent allegations/complaints. I extend an apologize based on the following reasons: Upon hearing of my complaints, I was immediately contacted by medical staff members expressing concern over my complaints. Without delay, my personal physician and others, identified and eliminated the sources of my frustrations. I'm impressed by the urgency with witch my complaints have been addressed. Apparently, my issues had festered due to miscommunications and a level of misunderstandings on my part. Again, I extend my apology based on the speed with which my frustrations were identified and resolved. In retrospect, I must say that the Kaiser Permanente motto "We Aim to Please" is well justified. Thank you very much. J. Wise

“Medice via e-mail”

Oliver B.
3/11/20

My partner has stage IV cancer. The treatment he is receiving from Kaiser is really substandard. He goes months without seeing his oncologist; everything is done via e-mail, no physical examinations. While other organizations have cancer teams to deal with the side effects of chemo and other problems one might have, with Kaiser your basically on your own. If you feel sick, send your doctor an e-mail. They might answer it. It sucks. Stay away from this horrible organization.

health insurance (3) customer service (5)
mariaa1228
January 12th, 2021
I am only in the second week of January and this is already my worst healthcare ever. I'm a registered nurse & I've lived in 6 US states & 3 different countries. That includes the United Kingdom which provides the dreaded "Socialized Medicine". (Get over it America - it's better than anything you'll ever experience.) Nothing - but nothing - beats the sheer indifference & incompetence of Kaiser.
oliverb88
March 11th, 2020
jennym361
September 27th, 2020
Called several times to Kaiser. Spoke to Aurora and she could not help hung up on me when I explained to her we were frustrated about our services. We have called to utilize our insurance because my husband works in construction and got a follicle or something in his eye! Kaiser did not help us we needed to go to Walmart Dr to check because Kaiser could not help him unless ER! What? Crazy? Why do we pay for ins? Then all your representatives have no clue what they are talking about and hung up on me! Very disappointed!
twinklet2
July 4th, 2020
Out-patient care is good if you doctor hunt and find a good doctor. Some specialist are good but most are mediocre at best and when you are really sick (me) and go to the hospital that's when it all goes down hill. Dirty, old hospitals with terrible "care". They run tests, kick you out the door and mean time still suffering. NO diagnosis or misdiagnosis. Trying real hard to switch plans. Need to wait for open enrollment. Hope I'm still alive by then.
susanm2075
August 12th, 2020
My employer switched to Kaiser last open enrollment period so I had to as well. Pre pandemic they were ok. Couldn't get in to see a dr but at least video calls were available. Since the pandemic forget it. When I call or my son does, as he's on the plan, we are lost in a sea of prompts and if we get lucky and get an "appointment " the dr who is supposed to call back doesn't. It's awful.
tinas38
September 29th, 2014
Better than no insurance I guess, and one extra star for Dr. Mandoza, who was really the only good thing about them. This is cattle call insurance, they do the minimum and their individual plans are pretty expensive. Wouldn't recommend.
johnw1949
October 22nd, 2019
marthac312
July 9th, 2020
Please don't go to kaiser my daughter is being having uti issues and the doctors don't care now her results came back with protein on her urine no one call her back to follow up, she had to call them numerous time, she sent them email without anyone reaching out to her, finally after a week of bugging them they told her that she should take antibiotics because she's an infection... really after a week? Kaiser is a dangerous place to take your love ones.
debrah18
April 29th, 2018
Good price, good prescription price, good service, Bldg is old or at least
Interior, but all in all I am pleased. Alot of use for the bldg. So I kinda understand.
isaach29
January 18th, 2017
I have Kaiser and love it. I like it how my medical information can be looked at any Kaiser hospital so any doctor I see at any Kaiser hospital can see my medical records. I also like the cheap co-pay I pay for appointments. I would recommend Kaiser to anyone. The doctors at Kaiser are nice and the nurses are nice too. What I don't like is that Kaiser hospitals are not in every state. What I also don't like is that Kaiser is slow to offer new benefits and services in the Northern California Kaiser region. Most of the time these new features and benefits mostly become available in other Kaiser regions. Never the Northern California region. Such as the Colorado region and the Georgia region.
almal40
June 8th, 2020
I had Kaiser years ago and was treated badly by a physician's assistant who kept cutting me off mid sentence. He was the most arrogant and patronizing person I'd ever encountered, and I was brought to tears by how angry I was! I chose to switch to a PPO but had to go back to save money. But I just had a run in with a phone appointment operator who talked down to me and gave me a guilt trip for taking too long to return their call so they had to "close out" the request and make a new one and she really seemed put out by that, even after I explained that I'm an overwhelmed teacher at the end of my school year. I really regret going back to them and plan to find other insurance as soon as I can. Their customer service SUCKS!
lauriec209
December 5th, 2019
Everything about kaiser is complicated and unnecessary. Just trying to call to make an appointment is a nightmare you can do it online which hardly ever works you have to repeat your information to three people before you can even talk to the department you're wanting to. Their online website is very annoying and when you call the Calls service center you'll be put on hold for the rest of your life find another medical company if you can, trust me.
sandyb448
June 24th, 2020
Good points: everything under 1 roof, easy referrals to other departments since everyone is connected in the same organization, easy to pick up prescriptions, can email doctor and even send pics, can save time to avoid scheduling an appointment. Better than having no health insurance at all.

Bad points: Kaiser is the Walmart of medicine. They will smile, and then do the absolute bare minimum, with the expectation that the patient should be the one to tell them what's wrong and what procedures they want and what medication to prescribe. Doctors and nurses are overbooked and emotionally absent. They move patients through like an assembly system. Each patient is just a number and a time stamp and a dollar amount. Classes are full of useless information. Lactation consultants aren't adequately trained. X-ray/Radiologists barely even look at you as they hurry through the procedure. Expect to hear patients yelling in the hallways as they loose patience with the substandard care, especially for sick or elderly relatives. The medical professionals literally don't care if they hurt you during a procedure, and are unnecessarily rough during procedures. They just tell you to stop being a baby, even if you're crying or can't breathe.
carols57
November 23rd, 2019
I have a Bronze plan with KP. They are not interested in your healthcare, it is merely a business doing its best to screw you, the patient, out of as much money as possible. It is obscene that I have paid over $7500 this year for "health insurance" and the only treatment I've received is one free flu shot. The state of healthcare in America is atrocious. All health insurance companies need serious regulatory changes. KP, Lifewise, Regency, Molina, they are all a big scam it is endemic and everyone knows it.
mr644
November 10th, 2020
I have been a part of the Kaiser network since I was a child. As a matter of fact, I was born there and my children were too. Unfortunately, recently, I discovered a Kaiser that I hope no one ever has to experience. Prior to two months ago, I really appreciated the Kaiser network. However, that has drastically changed. A family member was diagnosed with a serious disease that resulted in being hospitalized. I never realized that Kaiser will provide decent care until 21 days and then rush you out because they don't get paid. I didn't realize that Kaiser is a drug dealing business machine who "thrives" on drugging their patients to feel better. Doctors rush through to see as many patients as possible as time is money. 15 minutes in and out. Their case managers maintain the company line of what they can't do, won't do. One of their social workers rushed off the phone. One doctor did not return my call for 5 days even though the system showed she received messages. When she finally called, she said well I saw you called so i am calling but I don't have time see you and you're not even in my area. Even though my family member is her patient. I have so many stories. If you have the option of not choosing this network, don't. They are ok for general wellness care, but anything related to hospital care is extremely poor. If you ever end up on the hospital side or need specialized care, you will quickly discover how uncompassionate, uncaring, and how much they merely are about the Business of Kaiser versus anyone as a patient.
rondaj
October 18th, 2013
I had Kaiser for years and it was good until you get sick. Then it would probably better to have another health care plan.
robc230
February 12th, 2020
Avoid this company at all costs. Everything about this company is 3rd World, but then again, 3rd World countries probably have better care than Kaiser. If you need an appointment, they will gladly see you 4-6 months from now. Their doctors are the best that phony Caribbean schools can offer (except for the few doctors who went to legitimate schools, but have had a few malpractice 'hiccups' along the way). And wait to you deal with their over-the-phone system... straight out of 1975, complete with accidental hang-ups (if they really are accidental). Yes, you can have all of this great treatment for the low price of $1000+ a month, along with a high deductible. Avoid this company if you can.
cb529
January 30th, 2020
I am so disappointed in Kaiser. We have had Kaiser for over 40 years. We have always been extremely satisfied with both the high quality of care and ease of obtaining a appointment when needed. (San Diego and surrounding areas and Woodland Hills and surrounding area). We have a choice on our healthcare and Kaiser is more expensive then their competitors, but we have always felt that it was worth the cost. We moved to the Inland Empire a few years ago and have continued to experienced a very difficult time just getting a appointment. Recently my husband has had heart issues and needs to be seen by either his cardiologist or his primary care physician. After 3 days of talking to the appointment center and nurses the appointments to be seen are 2 to 4 months out. This is unacceptable. The only solution they had was to suggest that he go to urgent care or the ER. It is evident that Kaiser Permanente in the Inland Empire does not have enough Physicians. So if you have a choice for your healthcare in the inland empire (Riverside, Corona, Moreno Valley, Palm Springs, San Bernardino, Redlands) I would strongly discourage you from choosing Kaiser. After 40 plus years it's time to choose a new Health Care provider. Unfortunately I have to rate with 1star when in Fact it should be Zero
jimh743
August 5th, 2020
There are many good people in the Kaiser organization. Sadly there is a bad element in the optical sales area. The tech said he was not lying he was just misinforming me. Any company can have a bad employee but it appears he was following the managements direction.
jano92
September 26th, 2020
Terrible service literally the worst possible. Doctors have lied to me several times. Classic magical cartel.
chelseap66
February 21st, 2020
Avoid at all costs! I have had a lump in my pelvic area for two months. I have had multiple apts and tests and spent over $400 in copays and tests with no results. They don't care and will put u on a wait for referral forever. Had to wait almost 2
Months to see a Gyno?! Kaisers a joke. Looking to spend over $1000 a month to pay for insurance just to avoid this cult
carolew8
May 12th, 2015
Over the decades 3 generations of my family have been a members -both privately and with a group. Your experience may vary greatly depending on your location. I live in a "desirable" area which is attractive to professionals.
Years ago Kaiser made a concerted effort to improve patient relations, and I have seen that effort sustained. If you don't feel a rapport with your doctor, CHANGE DOCTORS! It's easy to do; you don't have to explain why.
I like the free Mail Order pharmacy & the easy email to your doctor. There are also no-cost phone appointments. Really learn about your conditions and medications so you can ask the best questions.
martys17
March 18th, 2018
As another reviewer noted "Are we talking about the same Kaiser?"
Simply, living in Northern California, I've been with Kaiser for decades.
And, as I've gotten older, their attention to the 'normal' maladies that effect us as we all age has been outstanding.
Granted, and fortunately, I'm a healthy 60ish with no major health issues (knock on wood).
They've even performed preventative screenings because of my age.
I've nothing but praise and support for the professionals that I've met over the years.
Best wishes...
linday27
March 31st, 2017
Love their integrated approach to medicine. All my records are centralized online, no long wait for specialists, can tackle the mundane to complex
davidj634
February 18th, 2019
This website hasn't had any substantial improvements in years. It's really outdated. One example of this is the messaging center. Instead of the obvious format of all emails in one area, you have to select which area to view emails. So, you can't read emails from your doctor in the same screen as emails from customer service or pharmacy, etc. This makes it arduous to try to read emails or look at sent emails.

The process to get prescriptions is also archaic and time consuming, requiring way to many screens and key presses. It often doesn't show past prescriptions so you have to track down old bottles to copy the information down.

They really need to bring the interface to modern standards.

Questions? Get answers from the Kaiser Permanente staff and other customers.

Staying healthy is easier with the right support. Visit kp.org to learn how we customize care and coverage just for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

2.8
Have a question about Kaiser Permanente?