Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente has a consumer rating of 2.7 stars from 80 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Kaiser Permanente ranks 9th among Health Insurance sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.7%

• Kaiser has gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but they offer good, cheap health insurance.

• It is clear that the KP customer service budget has gone into masked selling activities instead of solutions.
How would you rate Kaiser Permanente?

“The best doctor I've ever met.”

Parya V.
2/4/21

This is my first time visit by Dr. Sepideh Mirfakhraei, as a registered nurse in California I've never seen anyone Practitioner/ primary doctor like her, so respectful and welcoming manner, knowledgeable, good listener and so many more, specially during Covid! This doctor deserves many times 5 star reviews, unfortunately I can only place on time review. I believe people are working in this office are so blessed to have this doctor besides them, I wish I was her assistant.

“Unbelievably crap - never again”

Maria A.
1/12/21

I am only in the second week of January and this is already my worst healthcare ever. I'm a registered nurse & I've lived in 6 US states & 3 different countries. That includes the United Kingdom which provides the dreaded "Socialized Medicine". (Get over it America - it's better than anything you'll ever experience.) Nothing - but nothing - beats the sheer indifference & incompetence of Kaiser.

health insurance (3) customer service (5)
mariaa1228
January 12th, 2021

oliverb88
March 11th, 2020

My partner has stage IV cancer. The treatment he is receiving from Kaiser is really substandard. He goes months without seeing his oncologist; everything is done via e-mail, no physical examinations. While other organizations have cancer teams to deal with the side effects of chemo and other problems one might have, with Kaiser your basically on your own. If you feel sick, send your doctor an e-mail. They might answer it. It sucks. Stay away from this horrible organization.

jennym361
September 27th, 2020

Called several times to Kaiser. Spoke to Aurora and she could not help hung up on me when I explained to her we were frustrated about our services. We have called to utilize our insurance because my husband works in construction and got a follicle or something in his eye! Kaiser did not help us we needed to go to Walmart Dr to check because Kaiser could not help him unless ER! What? Crazy? Why do we pay for ins? Then all your representatives have no clue what they are talking about and hung up on me! Very disappointed!

davidj634
February 18th, 2019

This website hasn't had any substantial improvements in years. It's really outdated. One example of this is the messaging center. Instead of the obvious format of all emails in one area, you have to select which area to view emails. So, you can't read emails from your doctor in the same screen as emails from customer service or pharmacy, etc. This makes it arduous to try to read emails or look at sent emails.

The process to get prescriptions is also archaic and time consuming, requiring way to many screens and key presses. It often doesn't show past prescriptions so you have to track down old bottles to copy the information down.

They really need to bring the interface to modern standards.

twinklet2
July 4th, 2020

Out-patient care is good if you doctor hunt and find a good doctor. Some specialist are good but most are mediocre at best and when you are really sick (me) and go to the hospital that's when it all goes down hill. Dirty, old hospitals with terrible "care". They run tests, kick you out the door and mean time still suffering. NO diagnosis or misdiagnosis. Trying real hard to switch plans. Need to wait for open enrollment. Hope I'm still alive by then.

susanm2075
August 12th, 2020

My employer switched to Kaiser last open enrollment period so I had to as well. Pre pandemic they were ok. Couldn't get in to see a dr but at least video calls were available. Since the pandemic forget it. When I call or my son does, as he's on the plan, we are lost in a sea of prompts and if we get lucky and get an "appointment " the dr who is supposed to call back doesn't. It's awful.

jrp25
January 25th, 2021

I have Kaiser their chiropractor broke my arm, he is in hiding Kaiser committed Medicare fraud, I have had 4 surgery's on my arm lost the use of my arm and Kaiser has had 15 months to step up and be responsible and to this day they still have not stepped up! Stay away from this corrupt insurance company it about the money not health care the CEO of Kaiser is paid 227 million a year. I a m going to attach the bind with the state of Colorado and Kaiser attorneys lie going after their attorneys also

Products used:
Your staff sucks your chiropractors suck your admin sucks

marthac312
July 9th, 2020

Please don't go to kaiser my daughter is being having uti issues and the doctors don't care now her results came back with protein on her urine no one call her back to follow up, she had to call them numerous time, she sent them email without anyone reaching out to her, finally after a week of bugging them they told her that she should take antibiotics because she's an infection... really after a week? Kaiser is a dangerous place to take your love ones.

aldoc36
March 5th, 2021

I had a terrible experience with Dr. Johnny Moreno Orozco from Lake Forest Kaiser Office, Kaiser did not take my complaint. Then I find out this Doctor make a false after visit report and again Kaiser do not wants to take my complaint. VERY DISSATISFIED

oscarj
October 18th, 2013

I agree with the last poster... Kaiser is awesome until you really get sick. I will say they do have really good radio commercials though.

almal40
June 8th, 2020

I had Kaiser years ago and was treated badly by a physician's assistant who kept cutting me off mid sentence. He was the most arrogant and patronizing person I'd ever encountered, and I was brought to tears by how angry I was! I chose to switch to a PPO but had to go back to save money. But I just had a run in with a phone appointment operator who talked down to me and gave me a guilt trip for taking too long to return their call so they had to "close out" the request and make a new one and she really seemed put out by that, even after I explained that I'm an overwhelmed teacher at the end of my school year. I really regret going back to them and plan to find other insurance as soon as I can. Their customer service SUCKS!

lauriec209
December 5th, 2019

Everything about kaiser is complicated and unnecessary. Just trying to call to make an appointment is a nightmare you can do it online which hardly ever works you have to repeat your information to three people before you can even talk to the department you're wanting to. Their online website is very annoying and when you call the Calls service center you'll be put on hold for the rest of your life find another medical company if you can, trust me.

sandyb448
June 24th, 2020

Good points: everything under 1 roof, easy referrals to other departments since everyone is connected in the same organization, easy to pick up prescriptions, can email doctor and even send pics, can save time to avoid scheduling an appointment. Better than having no health insurance at all.

Bad points: Kaiser is the Walmart of medicine. They will smile, and then do the absolute bare minimum, with the expectation that the patient should be the one to tell them what's wrong and what procedures they want and what medication to prescribe. Doctors and nurses are overbooked and emotionally absent. They move patients through like an assembly system. Each patient is just a number and a time stamp and a dollar amount. Classes are full of useless information. Lactation consultants aren't adequately trained. X-ray/Radiologists barely even look at you as they hurry through the procedure. Expect to hear patients yelling in the hallways as they loose patience with the substandard care, especially for sick or elderly relatives. The medical professionals literally don't care if they hurt you during a procedure, and are unnecessarily rough during procedures. They just tell you to stop being a baby, even if you're crying or can't breathe.

johnw1949
October 22nd, 2019

A few weeks ago, I levied a negative review of medical care being provided by Kaiser Permanente. Now, I feel compelled to extend my apology to KP's medical team for my recent allegations/complaints. I extend an apologize based on the following reasons: Upon hearing of my complaints, I was immediately contacted by medical staff members expressing concern over my complaints. Without delay, my personal physician and others, identified and eliminated the sources of my frustrations. I'm impressed by the urgency with witch my complaints have been addressed. Apparently, my issues had festered due to miscommunications and a level of misunderstandings on my part. Again, I extend my apology based on the speed with which my frustrations were identified and resolved. In retrospect, I must say that the Kaiser Permanente motto "We Aim to Please" is well justified. Thank you very much. J. Wise

carols57
November 23rd, 2019

I have a Bronze plan with KP. They are not interested in your healthcare, it is merely a business doing its best to screw you, the patient, out of as much money as possible. It is obscene that I have paid over $7500 this year for "health insurance" and the only treatment I've received is one free flu shot. The state of healthcare in America is atrocious. All health insurance companies need serious regulatory changes. KP, Lifewise, Regency, Molina, they are all a big scam it is endemic and everyone knows it.

paryav
February 4th, 2021

mr644
November 10th, 2020

I have been a part of the Kaiser network since I was a child. As a matter of fact, I was born there and my children were too. Unfortunately, recently, I discovered a Kaiser that I hope no one ever has to experience. Prior to two months ago, I really appreciated the Kaiser network. However, that has drastically changed. A family member was diagnosed with a serious disease that resulted in being hospitalized. I never realized that Kaiser will provide decent care until 21 days and then rush you out because they don't get paid. I didn't realize that Kaiser is a drug dealing business machine who "thrives" on drugging their patients to feel better. Doctors rush through to see as many patients as possible as time is money. 15 minutes in and out. Their case managers maintain the company line of what they can't do, won't do. One of their social workers rushed off the phone. One doctor did not return my call for 5 days even though the system showed she received messages. When she finally called, she said well I saw you called so i am calling but I don't have time see you and you're not even in my area. Even though my family member is her patient. I have so many stories. If you have the option of not choosing this network, don't. They are ok for general wellness care, but anything related to hospital care is extremely poor. If you ever end up on the hospital side or need specialized care, you will quickly discover how uncompassionate, uncaring, and how much they merely are about the Business of Kaiser versus anyone as a patient.

robc230
February 12th, 2020

Avoid this company at all costs. Everything about this company is 3rd World, but then again, 3rd World countries probably have better care than Kaiser. If you need an appointment, they will gladly see you 4-6 months from now. Their doctors are the best that phony Caribbean schools can offer (except for the few doctors who went to legitimate schools, but have had a few malpractice 'hiccups' along the way). And wait to you deal with their over-the-phone system... straight out of 1975, complete with accidental hang-ups (if they really are accidental). Yes, you can have all of this great treatment for the low price of $1000+ a month, along with a high deductible. Avoid this company if you can.

cb529
January 30th, 2020

I am so disappointed in Kaiser. We have had Kaiser for over 40 years. We have always been extremely satisfied with both the high quality of care and ease of obtaining a appointment when needed. (San Diego and surrounding areas and Woodland Hills and surrounding area). We have a choice on our healthcare and Kaiser is more expensive then their competitors, but we have always felt that it was worth the cost. We moved to the Inland Empire a few years ago and have continued to experienced a very difficult time just getting a appointment. Recently my husband has had heart issues and needs to be seen by either his cardiologist or his primary care physician. After 3 days of talking to the appointment center and nurses the appointments to be seen are 2 to 4 months out. This is unacceptable. The only solution they had was to suggest that he go to urgent care or the ER. It is evident that Kaiser Permanente in the Inland Empire does not have enough Physicians. So if you have a choice for your healthcare in the inland empire (Riverside, Corona, Moreno Valley, Palm Springs, San Bernardino, Redlands) I would strongly discourage you from choosing Kaiser. After 40 plus years it's time to choose a new Health Care provider. Unfortunately I have to rate with 1star when in Fact it should be Zero

jimh743
August 5th, 2020

There are many good people in the Kaiser organization. Sadly there is a bad element in the optical sales area. The tech said he was not lying he was just misinforming me. Any company can have a bad employee but it appears he was following the managements direction.

harlowc
March 14th, 2021

Members of the Southern California branches of Kaiser Permanente who are not seniors can be vaccinated if they have a medical condition. I have mild asthma, I am under sixty-five, and I received my first Covid-19 vaccination shot at a Kaiser facility almost one week ago. Hooray for KPSOCAL!

Products used:
Moderna

amyt897
May 15th, 2021

Don't trust Kaiser counselors - they will stab you in the back. They will twist what you say and destroy your life. So much for reaching out for help.

jano92
September 26th, 2020

Terrible service literally the worst possible. Doctors have lied to me several times. Classic magical cartel.

chelseap66
February 21st, 2020

Avoid at all costs! I have had a lump in my pelvic area for two months. I have had multiple apts and tests and spent over $400 in copays and tests with no results. They don't care and will put u on a wait for referral forever. Had to wait almost 2
Months to see a Gyno?! Kaisers a joke. Looking to spend over $1000 a month to pay for insurance just to avoid this cult

bettinab23
March 24th, 2021

I'm required to drive three hours to a Kaiser facility to get care. Why does Kaiser offer insurance to a county that providers don't accept? Why does Kaiser keep denying me care? Why did they increase my deductible amount to $9,000? Because they want to take your money but not offer care!

Questions? Get answers from the Kaiser Permanente staff and other customers.

Staying healthy is easier with the right support. Visit kp.org to learn how we customize care and coverage just for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Have a question about Kaiser Permanente?