Kaiser Permanente

2017 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

Kaiser Permanente has a consumer rating of 3.25 stars from 57 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Kaiser Permanente also ranks 3rd among Health Insurance sites.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate Kaiser Permanente?

“My Apology to KP Staff Members,”

John W.
10/22/19

A few weeks ago, I levied a negative review of medical care being provided by Kaiser Permanente. Now, I feel compelled to extend my apology to KP's medical team for my recent allegations/complaints. I extend an apologize based on the following reasons: Upon hearing of my complaints, I was immediately contacted by medical staff members expressing concern over my complaints. Without delay, my personal physician and others, identified and eliminated the sources of my frustrations. I'm impressed by the urgency with witch my complaints have been addressed. Apparently, my issues had festered due to miscommunications and a level of misunderstandings on my part. Again, I extend my apology based on the speed with which my frustrations were identified and resolved. In retrospect, I must say that the Kaiser Permanente motto "We Aim to Please" is well justified. Thank you very much. J. Wise

“Medice via e-mail”

Oliver B.
3/11/20

My partner has stage IV cancer. The treatment he is receiving from Kaiser is really substandard. He goes months without seeing his oncologist; everything is done via e-mail, no physical examinations. While other organizations have cancer teams to deal with the side effects of chemo and other problems one might have, with Kaiser your basically on your own. If you feel sick, send your doctor an e-mail. They might answer it. it sucks. Stay away from this horrible organization.

customer service (4)
oliverb88
March 11th, 2020
lauriec209
December 5th, 2019
Everything about kaiser is complicated and unnecessary. Just trying to call to make an appointment is a nightmare you can do it online which hardly ever works you have to repeat your information to three people before you can even talk to the department you're wanting to. Their online website is very annoying and when you call the Calls service center you'll be put on hold for the rest of your life find another medical company if you can, trust me.
carols57
November 23rd, 2019
I have a Bronze plan with KP. They are not interested in your healthcare, it is merely a business doing its best to screw you, the patient, out of as much money as possible. It is obscene that I have paid over $7500 this year for "health insurance" and the only treatment I've received is one free flu shot. The state of healthcare in America is atrocious. All health insurance companies need serious regulatory changes. KP, Lifewise, Regency, Molina, they are all a big scam it is endemic and everyone knows it.
robc230
February 12th, 2020
Avoid this company at all costs. Everything about this company is 3rd World, but then again, 3rd World countries probably have better care than Kaiser. If you need an appointment, they will gladly see you 4-6 months from now. Their doctors are the best that phony Caribbean schools can offer (except for the few doctors who went to legitimate schools, but have had a few malpractice 'hiccups' along the way). And wait to you deal with their over-the-phone system...straight out of 1975, complete with accidental hang-ups (if they really are accidental). Yes, you can have all of this great treatment for the low price of $1000+ a month, along with a high deductible. Avoid this company if you can.
davidj634
February 18th, 2019
This website hasn't had any substantial improvements in years. It's really outdated. One example of this is the messaging center. Instead of the obvious format of all emails in one area, you have to select which area to view emails. So, you can't read emails from your doctor in the same screen as emails from customer service or pharmacy, etc. This makes it arduous to try to read emails or look at sent emails.

The process to get prescriptions is also archaic and time consuming, requiring way to many screens and key presses. It often doesn't show past prescriptions so you have to track down old bottles to copy the information down.

They really need to bring the interface to modern standards.
cb529
January 30th, 2020
I am so disappointed in Kaiser. We have had Kaiser for over 40 years. We have always been extremely satisfied with both the high quality of care and ease of obtaining a appointment when needed. (San Diego and surrounding areas and Woodland Hills and surrounding area). We have a choice on our healthcare and Kaiser is more expensive then their competitors, but we have always felt that it was worth the cost. We moved to the Inland Empire a few years ago and have continued to experienced a very difficult time just getting a appointment. Recently my husband has had heart issues and needs to be seen by either his cardiologist or his primary care physician. After 3 days of talking to the appointment center and nurses the appointments to be seen are 2 to 4 months out. This is unacceptable. The only solution they had was to suggest that he go to urgent care or the ER. It is evident that Kaiser Permanente in the Inland Empire does not have enough Physicians. So if you have a choice for your healthcare in the inland empire (Riverside,Corona, Moreno Valley, Palm Springs, San Bernardino, Redlands) I would strongly discourage you from choosing Kaiser. After 40 plus years it's time to choose a new Health Care provider. Unfortunately I have to rate with 1star when in Fact it should be Zero
chelseap66
February 21st, 2020
Avoid at all costs!!! I have had a lump in my pelvic area for two months. I have had multiple apts and tests and spent over $400 in copays and tests with no results. They don't care and will put u on a wait for referral forever. Had to wait almost 2
Months to see a Gyno?! Kaisers a joke. Looking to spend over $1000 a month to pay for insurance just to avoid this cult
jesses212
May 3rd, 2020
I picked the absolutely most expensive I could find because I am a 37 year old man and I have never seen a doctor. I figured it would be good to be highly covered in case there was any problems.

I have had the insurance for 5 months now, I have yet to see a doctor (ok there was a pandemic) but then they skipped doing their scheduled phone doctor visit. I asked them if I could see a psychiatrist for depression and it was ignored.

I would like to get screened for all the things a 37 year old man that has never been to the doctor should get screened for. But they have not scheduled any tests or screenings - apparently I am supposed to schedule everything myself. Well, I don't even know what all things I should be taking care of - because I am not a doctor.

I have zero access to medical services of any kind - its just a scam to get me to pay for other people to get care.

Tip for consumers: We live in a post health care world. If you get cancer or something you are better off using this money to go to a country with nice beaches and enjoy a few days in paradise and just let nature kill you.

juliem548
March 26th, 2019
Went to Zion to fill a prescription , they wouldn't fill one of them because my son is 5 months away from 18 years.
They did however fill it at another pharmacy .
By the time we could get it somewhere else , he was in so much pain.
She rolled her eyes around when I asked her to send it to another pharmacy.
Terrible place to go.
Kaiser took longer than the wisdom teeth extraction.
johnw1949
October 22nd, 2019
dorothyh41
June 15th, 2019
I just got coverage in 1/2019. Met with Primary Dr. told her about the severe burning in throat and ears. Asked for Gastro Dr. Sent to ENT..Had to pay almost $600/CT scan. Acid reflux they say..Still asking for Gastro Dr.6 mo. later. I am 64 yrs. old, thought I paid for April, paid for May-Cancelled..I called immediately once I realized mistake, wanted to pay to date. I technically only owed for May, it was 6/14/19. I was willing to pay for May and June.No...Cancelled. The burning in my throat and ears is beyond horrible. No answers. Still need Gastro Dr. Had to pay what I thought was $525.00 for CT scan, now it's almost $600.00..Cancelled- no ins. have to wait till open enrollment...They really do not care about patients.I am getting old, never missed a payment. and still have severe burning, and I mean severe burning in my throat and ears. Bad ! They treat you soo nice to your face, but I am still suffering. Worst ins. company and place I ever have been to..They sure did fool me..Very Sad that a company could do this to a person. Horrible
caitlind35
May 10th, 2019
Hands down WORST physical therapy assessment I have ever received (and as an athlete I have been in physical therapy many times throughout my life). The first red flag was walking through the area where patients are seen and not a single soul is using any of the equipment or receiving any direct treatment from a therapist. Usually physical therapy offices are bustling with activity!

I was seen for about 25 minutes, the appointment felt very rushed. I was pressured to choose the part of my body that causes me "the most pain" even though I was insisting that the problem is my entire left leg and left side lower back and is not limited to any singular body part anymore (I reluctantly chose my foot). I was given several stretches and strengthening exercises and told "we'll see you in a few weeks" which I found puzzling. I asked if regular weekly sessions are something that is done at this facility and was told I could be seen sooner "if I wanted". Ah, I see how this works now.

As I am to understand it, it seems Kaiser's approach to physical therapy is sporadic rushed appointments where the patient is given some handouts to take home - handouts that I could certainly have found on my own with a few simple internet searches. No regular sessions to track progress and make adjustments as necessary? No manual therapy? No use of well known and effective tools to enhance a stretching and strengthening routine - like electric stim, dry needling, heat, ice, etc? And now I'm stuck with Kaiser and have no choice but to utilize the services of their many little medical factories serving up mediocre care at best. I will have to pay out of pocket if I want to receive quality care for my injuries or I will have to wait until next year where I will NOT be signing on with Kaiser again. SO very disappointed in myself for choosing Kaiser. And I'm just praying that I don't fall seriously ill or injured for the rest of 2019 so that I can steer clear from them. I do not expect that the rest of their medical care would be any different from the "physical therapy" I received. Thank you NEXT.
nfms
July 27th, 2014
It is clear that the KP customer service budget has gone into masked selling activities instead of solutions. They are very good at calling you for reminders and setting up more and more tests but try to negotiate with the finance department and you get sent into voicemail hell, finally pointing you to the Internet labyrinth. My $60 co-pay "checkup" turned into three additional laboratory bills, each listing a different amount and due date, so far totaling over $300. I signed up because they advertised free preventive care and I still don't know when the bills stop rolling in!
Update...
At the next call to sign up for a new test I complained about the preventive care bills and eventually got them to reverse charges and credit my account. When my annual plan renewed I had to renegotiate a monthly fee based on fluctuating income (entrepreneur with unknown income cycles), I fought for six months to reduce my fees and keep my coverage. Ultimately, it took an appeal to Covered CA to get Kaiser to take notice and reinstate my coverage, followed by repeated corrections to the number of months that had been paid.
Fast forward...
Once all that got settled I lost half my clients to economic conditions and Kaiser dropped me for late payment. I do not qualify for Medicaire or Medi-Cal. Thanks Affordable Care Act, for giving Kaiser free reign to terrorize the self-employed! I am guessing I can fight back once I can pay the past due premiums but what a nightmare to maintain the financial aspect!
All this for preventive care... hope I never get sick and actually need their services!
lynnj71
April 2nd, 2019
The amount of care you get is based on their bonuses. Every time I ask for Taz every time it appears I need to test my cardiologist says doesn't sound like cardiac-related any simply back to my primary care doctor. Had a stent over a year ago won't give me a stress test now to see what's going on. I'm having pains in my upper chest says not heart-related go see your doctor first come and see me in 40 days that's the first available appointment. I'm not happy I changed cardiologist today hopefully the next guy will be better told I cannot change from Kaiser to Sharp Healthcare until October 15th. Again I'm not happy at all not happy at all not happy at all. Beware Kaiser will give you the minimum care if somebody wants you to sign up with Kaiser run.
trinal7
October 11th, 2017
My father waited 2 months to get surgery. When it was 2 days before his surgery the Kaiser receptionist calls him to let him know they have to pick another date. No explanation why, just another date. When he asked what date, she said that she didnt have the schedule for the exact date. She would need to call him back. He had waited patiently for 2 months for this surgery, to get polyps out of his nose so he can smell and taste. Its been 2 weeks no calls yet when he will have surgery. They dont care.
debrah18
April 29th, 2018
Good price, good prescription price, good service, Bldg is old or at least
interior, but all in all I am pleased. Alot of use for the bldg. so I kinda understand.
sherryl116
January 23rd, 2019
I called Kaizer and asked them how can I send a message to my Doctor through www.kp.org. I was talking with them for 45 min. and at the end the lady could not figure out how I could do that and at the end she hung up the phone.
isaach29
January 18th, 2017
I have Kaiser and love it. I like it how my medical information can be looked at any Kaiser hospital so any doctor I see at any Kaiser hospital can see my medical records. I also like the cheap co-pay I pay for appointments. I would recommend Kaiser to anyone. The doctors at Kaiser are nice and the nurses are nice too. What I don't like is that Kaiser hospitals are not in every state. What I also don't like is that Kaiser is slow to offer new benefits and services in the Northern California Kaiser region. Most of the time these new features and benefits mostly become available in other Kaiser regions. Never the Northern California region. Such as the Colorado region and the Georgia region.
dawnt94
October 15th, 2018
I have had numbness and tingling going down my arm since May, 2018. I have been to my doctor several times with no relief. I have also been to the ER, a chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncturist, with no relief. Kaiser will not approve an MRI in order to find out what the problem is. I have had an MRI scheduled 2 times to have them canceled the day before I am scheduled to go. I pay for this insurance, I should not have to be in constant pain because someone in an office who has never met me decides I don't need a procedure done. Sometimes the pain is so debilitating I have thought about cutting off my fingers!! I will definitely change insurance companies during open enrollment!
lindseyh40
April 19th, 2017
This company is the worst thing I have ever dealt with. Every time I want to make an appointment it takes 45 minutes to set an appointment and the customer service reps are absolutely horrible to deal with. I miss the days of my old insurance where I would just call the doctors office directly and talk to someone very sweet and caring and sett an appointment immediately and get in within a week or two. I called this week telling them that my hand has been numb for sometime and I need to be seen. They told me it would be three months before I could be seen. That is purely unacceptable. Effective immediately I have canceled my insurance with Kaiser because I can't take the difficulty in setting appointments and the horrible disorganization of their billing system. My son was in the hospital on and off for two years and it took me three years to get everything straightened out with them which held me to staying with them this long. Now that I have all of that worked out (after shedding many tears) to try to get someone to help me with the billing I am now leaving Kaiser for good. I spent well over 20 hours on the phone with them to get my billing straightened out. Come to find out they sent a lump sum check to Northside Hospital and never designated the payment to be placed under my account. Northside told me that Kaiser is an absolute mess to deal with. I highly suggest you go somewhere else for insurance even if you have to pay a little bit more I promise calling the doctors office directly to make appointments and having a doctors office that cares about you is much better than dealing with these people. Customer service treats you very poor when you try to make a doctor appt, they have even hung up on me when I would not disclose to them my exact issue and that I only needed to tell my OBGYN this information. This happened twice. Horrible! I canceled my companys group plan and I feel liberated to end the cycle of bad treatment, frustration, wasted time on the phone and wasted time trying to work out billing issues. Good bye forever Kaiser!
hg43
January 8th, 2017
Bait and switch sums it up,...................................................................
tinas38
September 29th, 2014
Better than no insurance I guess, and one extra star for Dr. Mandoza, who was really the only good thing about them. This is cattle call insurance, they do the minimum and their individual plans are pretty expensive.wouldn't recommend.
markb189
April 11th, 2015
Delayed referrals to specialists
rondaj
October 18th, 2013
I had Kaiser for years and it was good until you get sick. Then it would probably better to have another health care plan.
tomh29
April 5th, 2012
This is a terrible organization. I took my gf to the ER yesterday and the doctors and nurses didn't have a clue what the other was doing or had done. The nurse didn't even know what she had already done a few minutes before, she brought in the same supplies again, I couldn't believe it. Then, mid sentance, the doctor took a phone call on his mobile and never came back. I'm not a member and my gf is moving to PPO as soon as she can.

Questions? Get answers from the Kaiser Permanente staff and other customers.

Staying healthy is easier with the right support. Visit kp.org to learn how we customize care and coverage just for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Have a question about Kaiser Permanente?