InterPals.net

InterPals.net has a consumer rating of 1.73 stars from 104 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. InterPals.net also ranks 116th among Forum sites.

• I've been in this site for 10 years now and I would say it's ok to pick up friends and it's free.

• Apart from getting 200 messages from scammers and perverts, there were maybe about 5 people who I thought were normal.
  • The majority of men on there don't know the difference between a penpal site & a dating site.
How would you rate InterPals.net?

“InterPals is good if used right”

Linda O.
4/29/17

I have been on InterPals for years. I have met many good friends American and international. It is not a good dating or language learning site but if you are just looking for casual friends to swap life experiences, it fits the bill. the trick is in the filters, be specific about the age, gender and countries you will accept. Block anyone you don't want or are suspicious of. Go to a real dating site if you want romance.

“I'm wondering how the hell scammers from Ghana or Nigeria use pics of white girls all the time.”

Yoko L.
3/15/20

Where they find them? While I reported 2 cases of "white " Nigerian girls , which my experience tells me they are definitely scammers I got the following message from interpals board. Your account has been flagged for abusing the "Report to Moderator" system with excessive, frivolous or unfounded reports. This is a violation of the Terms of Service. Please note that this is a warning and any further misconduct could result in the deletion of your account. Thank you, InterPals Staff So if my assumption is unfounded you tell the first rogue user created it's account minutes before while the second had it for 11 hours. That takes me to the assumption that interpals favors or it's part of the scam. Hence the variety of pictures scammers possess. Take a hike from here.

people (69) penpal site (11) language exchange (9) friends (47) lot (28) time (41) account (28) profile (40) 6 years (3) sites (14) someone (17) messages (31)
dallass34
August 20th, 2019
Interpals long ago used to be a great site. Then two problems emerged. Firstly it´s always going down because their servers can´t cope with demand and I think they definitely have problems paying the bills to keep the site up.
Secondly, the moderators are awful. They delete accounts without warning, they suspend the wrong people. I see people who lie, use nudity and threats and stay there for months. Other users get falsely reported and are then kicked off.
Interpals is a good idea but it needs a major reform and obviously needs a better bandwidth.
alicew70
April 19th, 2017
I've been in Interpals.net for 8 years on and off, sadly the people from there, nice people absence by weirdos, scams around and relationships seekers, Double-edged swords in pros and cons, that you could enjoy the chat chilling, as well as share your profile critics, just slightly found the language exchange literally even they presents they can have other language spoken, and most of time the people are fake mind gamers!
beckyb51
Becky B.
May 13th, 2017
I tried for two weeks and got only people from Africa message or view me..with sexual messages or the usual messages they send..(like they are desperate to talk to anyone. Sorry for sounding racist but it's on every site I get it) and all my attempts to other countries (even my own) were read and ignored. I took interest in several people no one would respond.
karinj11
December 19th, 2018
This site is FULL of scammers so beware. There are a few genuine people but they are mainly from Asia, which, as an Asian myself, I find boring. Just because it is a free site it has become a playground for these scammers. The moderators do a fairly ok job removing scammers when they are reported but there are still some serious scammers still there so stay safe.
annemariey
July 26th, 2018
I am speaking from my point of view as a woman living in a quite rich country. Interpals is mainly consisting of two groups of people: 1) scammers (fake US soldiers in most cases) 2) men from North and West African countries looking for an easy way to start life in a rich country. When you live in such a country you are overloaded with mails from guys age 17 to 60 who are quickly in love with you, tell you they seek their soul mate and so on. Some of them also beg for money (for sick mother, sick father, "schooling" even when they are 30+....) or for a "simple" paper to bring them to your country. Most of those guys are lowly educated and oftenly start talking in an offensive way or start talking about sex. You may find a few people who you really can talk with in a serious way, but this is the exception. It is a waste of time. I am happy that my account was suspended (without warning from moderators) because now I have more time for useful things.
piaps
December 21st, 2018
Nick men on this site, which at first glance seems very friendly and good person. but he gains the confidence of women all over the world, travels to these countries, lives free of charge with these women, and then morally humiliates them. Never trust this person!
davidb635
February 15th, 2017
I've been there twice now, damn near got conned a bunch, some ladies keep referring to that site as a dating site, and it's anything but. Dealt with some rude as hell people on that site. Silver lining: I have met some nice, decent people on that site, and have actually spoken to them off of it on Viber and WhatsApp, just be diligent.
limad
January 25th, 2018
Tbh I disagree with most reviews here, the problem is not the scammers, as they are expected on a site like this, not to mention you can so easily block them, it really doesn't matter.

However my main problem is that seriously almost noone joins this site to find a penpal!!! Wouldn't that be the point of the whole thing?
It seems to me that for all people this is a damn frikkin dating site. Not sure why would anyone date with someone half a continent away ... but sure ... Not one who can hold a decent conversation, not one who is actually interested in what the other person does and such. Even though half of the profiles are full with introductions like "looking for long friendship, deep conversations etc etc" they NEVER actually look for that. If you are a girl, you will mostly be contacted by guys, which should be fine, I have plenty of male friends, but these guys are certainly not looking for that!

And what else can I say, men who think they are otherworldly gods and they won't be go so low to talk to you if you are not a goddess or just idk not their type.
I also wrote to women saying they are not looking for relationships, thinking that hey maybe that person indeed just wants to have a nice conversation. Turns out wrong, their friendlist is also full of men, only men, and they won't reply to you.

There are also loads of people who are only looking for an English teacher, hence if you are not native speaker they won't talk to you.

lol, I think the whole site is ridiculous, it is good for some occasional causal chat, that would only last 2-3 days, but honestly nothing more. I kinda lost faith in humankind. I am sure there are genuine people there too, like I am, but it's like finding the needle in the haystack ...
saras183
May 7th, 2017
When I joined 8 years ago, this site did have some claim to be a "proper" penpal site. I've written for lengthy periods of time to quite a lot of interesting and friendly people (and even met a couple, just as friends). So far so good. However hardly any of those friendships lasted and some of my penpals have written for years, long and friendly emails and messages, only to cease for no reason that I could see. This is very disheartening, as another reviewer said, you start to wonder whether you've done or said something wrong, or that they've just gone off you because you've somehow ceased to be interesting. I went back to the site recently to see if I could find new penpals but it seems now to consist of men looking for hook ups and people who stop writing after a few messages or don't reply at all. I recently had one man ask why I was pretending to want a penpal...that's after I told him it wasn't a dating site and he should try OK Cupid..
davidp416
November 24th, 2017
I have been a member of Interpals since the early days - 10 years in fact, so I think I have a fairly good picture of what the site dynamics are like.

In the early days, it was a great place to meet interesting people around the world. I met many good friends who I am still in touch with to this day. One of those people became my current partner of 6 years, so fair play - it has its moments.

At least it used to.

In the past 5 years, I have made zero meaningful friendships through the site, and I have not changed my approach at all since I made 5 very good friends in 2007-2012. And yes, 4 of those 5 people noticed the same shift in the site around the 2012 mark and either left of abandoned their profiles.

The community has become a vapid cesspit of pervs, narcissists and scammers. As others have noted, the response rate to messages is low. In my own experience, my messages (polite, thoughtful, interested in their hobbies) have a response rate somewhere around 20% on a good day. And that's including the ones who chat with you for the day and then pretend you are dead.

So if you are a "good" penpal who writes long, well-thought-out messages to people who you believe you could become friends with, I'd advise not to bother. The simple fact that half of your messages never even get read, and of the ones that are, you get a response to 2 in 5, makes the whole exercise a colossal waste of time.

As for the language parasites that others have referred to (albeit more politely than I), the struggle is real. I have had dozens of people who I have been helping with their English for months or years (during regular conversation):

- Demand that I write an essay for them. That's right - they see you as a paid tutor (??)
- Become extremely angry that I was not available to proofread their report before submitting it, despite having no idea what their schedule is (and a life of my own offline).
- Completely ghost me as soon as they no longer need help with English. Some of these are people I considered good friends, so it sucks when they just don't want to give you the time of day once you have served your "use" to them.

Not worth the mental anguish that it used to cause me, where I wondered what I had said or done to deserve being dropped like a molten rock for no apparent reason.

To even have a shot at improving, the Interpals team would need to figure out a way to restore the community to what it used to be, because ultimately, it isn't the admins' fault that the people have turned sour.

Can it be saved? I don't even know where you would begin to fix it. In my opinion, the horse has well and truly bolted.
katherinep12
July 5th, 2017
I have been on and off this website for a few years now. I have met some nice people. Then I have had to deal with some rude, ignorant, uneducated people. It's a hit or miss, but I wouldn't say it is a good place to make longer term friends or to learn a language. Sometimes people answer sometimes they don't. All I get are people from the Middle East or Africa messaging me and they don't always know how to write in English and no I am not being mean they write something and it makes no sense what so ever can' even read it. No one really reads your profile so I don't bother putting a lot on it. The website just looks outdated and needs a face lift. I know in your profile you can put an age range of people who can contact you and select counties or continents you don't want people to message you from, well it doesn't work. I have it set for ages 26 to 36 and don't accept messages from Africa and certain other countries but I still get messages from people, so don't bother. As for searching for people. I will sometimes narrow down the search to say Europe only but it will still give me people from around the world. I wouldn't recommend.
carole77
February 21st, 2014
I get stonewalled, no communication after 3 to 6 messages. There is much sexual harrassment and it's basically turned into a cyber dating site, even a cyber sex site.

A friend of mine told me give them another chance this Christmas. I tried to make friends with some men and women. The women often act very abusive and catty (my experience) and the men are often married and looking for outside companionship without letting me know until we have communicated more than once.
I find that extremely disturbing.
The last person I talked to there was married with a daughter and did not write me after 5 communications. He got me all hooked on him (grooming and befriending) and then dumped me. I suspect that his wife caught him; this has happend before on another site, too.
Please try another site and be careful. Especially if you are underage.
Review update 1-19-17

No one of these conditions were available to me because I didn't receive any advice concerning spamming or anything else like that and they année me only after 3 days signing up :(

By Keryl M.
See more answers (4)

As someone who has ised Ipals for over 7 years and is older than most posters here appear to be, I can say that it has been very useful to me. I have met many people over the years, some have become true friends and visited others will only ever be online, but áras close to me as people in the Real world. Yes there have been scammers, loads of them, even my user name came from a message from a scammer after I reported him, but that is what you do, report them! If they Really are scammers the site removes them. You have to remember this is a Free site and all the moderators are volunteers, so they do the best that they can. Also I would suggest that a lot of the people complaining here are a little inexperienced and naive., you can hardly blame the site for that. If you keep your wits about you and respond to people as you would in life, you can meet some great people that you would never meet in the real world and learn an awful lot. Also, dont complain if someone doesnt respond to "Hello" Its hardly an inspiring openong line is it? I find that the more you tell in your profile the better the response, the same for a message. How the hell do you answer Hello, especially if the progile is one line or word in each box, other than with "Hello" back and that is the end of the conversation. Its a 2 way street, you have to put in too, you cant just whinge that everybody is a weirdo. That would suggest that it is you that are out of your depth and would maybe happier on youtube or twitter. Also, as someone else has written You control who contacts you, by your settings. Of course I have no idea what goes on in the younger branches of the site, I stick firmly to my own age group, as I have nothing to say to younger ones, anymore than they have anything to interest me, but I felt I need to defend what for me has overall been a very good place to communicate.

By Shelagh M.
See more answers (3)

99.9% of those wearing a uniform in their profile pictures are scammers and fake profiles.

By Tom M.

Please be more specific about the nature of your issue. There's any number of reasons why this could be the case.

Okay. That happens sometimes

By Alexis P.

Other people can only see your messages on Interpals if they know your password. So don't give people your password and it'll be fine.

By Alexis P.

I'm not really sure. Interpals' search system has always been somewhat temperamental and kinda like a genie in the sense that you always have to make sure you've done everything just right to make sure it gives you what you want.

By Alexis P.

Hi, first usual suspects when one is being blocked/prevented from navigating onto a site can include, double check with your (internet service provider) ISP; whomever the company is that you rely upon to get online. Generally speaking, both in earlier times and still, tho nearly as common present day,so still, (a) company=ISP that is offering net access is the owner of their servers. Accordingly, again, as a general rule, as the providers, operators and owners of the servers, they customize whatever settings and the parameters therein, as they like. Other, out of the gate reasons one can be prevented, blocked, from visiting a site, 1 of the most common and still seen on a rare occasion (more so present day) may likely have something to do with the websites international laws versus some end users state, country location. Additional typical reasons, further, can be anything from a glitch? a tech error? to an oversight, say, if somewhere within the fine print there might be a proof of age needed, matter to any number of things that may also be easy to over look? to be altogether, unaware of readily. Depending on the type of website it is has the potential to cause such an issue. For example, age restrictions? (thus, there might be some documentation somewhere within the pre-intro page and mentioned in say, the fine print, so to speak. Also, the issue could have something to do with 1 or more unknown issues for the end users part e.g. unknown software issue(s) that say, may be running in the background and possibly causing the problem. Possible RESOLVES(?) Best place to start troubleshooting the mystery is definitively, to call your ISP (to include an affirmative suggestion to insist on speaking with someone in upper management (manager? supervisor? systems operator(s)?) and not say, first point of contact staff.

By jen a.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the InterPals.net staff and other customers.

InterPals is a friendly community of over 5 million friends, language learners, travelers and penpals. Use InterPals to meet people and travelers from other countries, practice languages with native speakers, make new friends and make your wo...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about InterPals.net?

Have a question about InterPals.net?