ID.me

ID.me has a consumer rating of 1.07 stars from 55 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about ID.me most frequently mention customer service, social security and claim filing problems. ID.me ranks 86th among Payment Processing sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 10 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 1.9%

No positive highlights yet

• (This happened to me twice, two weeks apart.) Their customer service SUCKS.
  • ID.me stated we could use our drivers license however, there is field to enter the DL anywhere.
How would you rate ID.me?

“Gave me access to Social Security”

William S.
6/27/20

Because of my history with identity theft I was unable to open an account with Social Security. The only option offered to me by the Social Security administration was a face-to-face visit once the COVID lockdown was over. This was very annoying as I couldn't confirm the status of my recent application for Social Security benefits. Low and behold the next time I gave it a whirl I was offered the opportunity to access Social Security via the ID.me site. I decided to give it a whirl and I uploaded my drivers license gave it to Social Security number which of course is floating on the Internet anyway and 1, 2, 3 I was able to get into the Social Security website and I can access all my information there. Thus I found this at least at first blush an extremely effective way to get into the Social Security administration website when other factors prevented it.

“Shameful, deceitful plug from the California DMV”

Mark D.
2/12/20

I ran across this service on the California DMV website. There was very little information about what it was but they made it look very official like it was required DMV business. It's nothing more than a marketing company trying to sell you something. Somehow they negotiated a spot on the DMV website to place their ad, because that's all it is. Sneaky and deceitful. I will not do business with someone who has to slink around in the bushes to attract customers. Don't fall for this scam.

customer service (5) drivers license (3)
markd1229
February 12th, 2020
jpk8
April 22nd, 2020
For a business dedicated to our front line workers its pretty sad they do not value their clientele. You can forget about any customer service. I have submitted multiple request for assistance and have received nothing but cookie cutter responses. Then when I try to respond for additional assistance they close out the inquiry so you have to keep going through the same process with no assistance.
laurens470
April 18th, 2020
I've been trying to get my RN license verified for 3 weeks. Their verification system doesn't recognize letters, however in colorado, letters are part of our license number. They give me every reason under the sun that has nothing to do with why it can't be verified. A simple manual verification on their end would solve the issue. It's almost maddening. You want to help nurses but your actions speak louder than your words. Thanks for nothing ID.me
maryam4
February 4th, 2020
They work with many major hotels to offer a student discount so people take the time and frustration to submit paperwork. I submitted my social security #, student records, official emails from the school, screenshots of my current classes showing my full name and address, etc. This took 4 FOUR hours and did not work, they did not accept it. Super frustrating and no real person to connect with. I HATE this company!
johnb843
October 7th, 2020
I submitted a very simple form to create an account, and it's been wedged at this error (see image) for hours. So far a totally worthless web site.
rachelb443
April 28th, 2020
ID.me is a joke and a total waste of time. They'll "block" or disable your account claiming you entered the "wrong" password but they'll route you back to page where you can log on and then email you and tell you they fixed it. (This happened to me twice, two weeks apart.) Their customer service SUCKS. Good luck doing anything through them. Don't fall for their B. S. it's a joke.
williams2687
June 27th, 2020
timw467
June 26th, 2020
The idea of an online verification service is a very good one, and timely. Sadly, the general concept is the only good thing ID.me has going for it. Their "verification" process is, well, broken. It cannot and will not verify your identification no matter what documentation you provide. Trust me, I tried more than once with the formal documentation my employer provided. Nope, sorry. And inquiry to customer service? Another black hole.

Again, a great idea that simply doesn't work. A sad wonder this startup ever got funding.
cheeshapo
November 25th, 2020
Total waste of time! They dont even tell you How they help verify your identity or where to attach any documents!
elliotm61
October 25th, 2020
I have for three days attempted to get someone from id.me to get back to me. It has not happened in three days. The verification information does NOT include the Arizona dept of economic security. Therefore one can not use that indicator. One is told that you have to complete the id.me system in 10 days from the day you receive it. If not completed then one does not get the money owned. It's a good scam that Arizona is playing on the public.
davik
October 19th, 2020
I wanted to use them to log in to my SSA for current info. They wanted more information than the government! My driver's license front and back, Social Security, and Passport no. I opted out when they wanted a selfie from my phone. I hope they are legit because they probably have enough info to open bank accounts, establish credit cards, initiate loans, etc.
anniew108
September 16th, 2020
In signing on the the Social Security website I was redirected to ID.me. I had to provide a lot of my own info but cannot ever login. AND - since then I found I can do everything I need to on the mySSA website (view earnings history, download statement, apply for benefits)? Why did a government website sea.gov redirect me to ID.me and mislead me that I needed to create an account? I can't get an answer from the so-called customer service.
dallasm69
May 27th, 2020
They have a monopoly on access to the CA DMV. There is no one you can talk to, they do not reply to email, they close any request for help without offering assistance. Just a terrible company. I have spoken with about a dozen people at the DMV and they feel the same way.
judyt248
November 12th, 2020
Horrible company, horrible process, so completely frustrating!
I've been waiting for the "trusted referee" to complete the final step of the process,
Which is the zoom video, for days! The company sends me an email that says "we're ready,
Please login for the video", but then you'll just wait and wait and wait... its been 2 days of waiting (see screenshot below of wait screen).
Meanwhile, I cannot open a claim with Calif EDD for pandemic assistance, and the
Deadline to do this is 3 days from now. There is absolutely no customer service available,
No phone number, just canned email responses and no communication. Really bad.
I'm going to report this company to the BBB, FTC and my local attorney general. They
Are doing a DISSERVICE and they do not deserve anyone's business until they improve.
My question: how can we trust these guys to do a good job verifying our identities when their process is so flawed?
brandonc366
November 26th, 2020
I tried purchasing products on Samsung's official website and was able to verify my information on my ID.me account. I have also verified my education email address, however when I try to add the discount on Samsung's page, I get a message indicating that ID.me cannot verify my education email address despite it being verified already under my account profile on ID.me's site.
ianm458
November 10th, 2020
Tried to sign up October 21st - it's now November 9th, and I've had at least five "tickets" issued, and promptly I get another email asking to RATE The SERVICE! (Of which I have received none). Tax dollars are paying for this.
SHAME on id.me and whoever decided to outsource to them!
fabl1
June 6th, 2020
Can you imagine an ID service that wont actually verify who you are? They only try to run a credit check and wont accept the real source of truth: your documents. Equifax was freezed and it was taking weeks to unfreeze because you have to snail mail them for correction and meanwhile ID.me couldnt check Experian or Transunion. Apprently not...
They wouldn't accept real proof of ID and such. Very frustrating when an ID service wants to rely on Credit Agency instead of checking real goverment IDs? This is worst than Orwellian when your identification depends on private companies that are incapable!
jamesl1885
November 23rd, 2020
*Support is never around to help
*I was on hold for over 27 hours once
*Lazy coding makes the site experience innumerable bugs, errors, and glitches; All of which waste hours of your time with no way to reverse THEIR errors
*A site that holds such important consumer information shouldn't feel like it was made by a highschooler
*Even when you take a great photo of a document, ID.me's scanner literally never accepts them
*Leave it the the Gov. To put such a shoddy website in charge of ALL UNEMPLOYMENT PROCESSES WTF
qr3
June 15th, 2020
I called the SSA for technical support accessing their site. The Help desk said that they were given a new procedure to verify a persons identity. I followed their instructions and created an account on the id.me site. After creating the account I was redirected to their shopping site.
The help desk at SSA did not expect me to be redirected to their shopping site, as they intended to use it to verify customers identities. The site "claims" to have an identity service, but it was hard to find, and certainly work as claimed.
I got the impression that it is not as legitimate as it would like us to believe, more likely another shifty site collecting personal information for fun and profit.
patriciaf914
September 26th, 2020
Filled out all info, no red asterisk's left, but kept sending me back to beginning. Gave up. Concerned I gave my SSN.
fucky162
November 10th, 2020
THIS PROCESS WITH ID.ME IS USELESS. IT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DO A VIDEO CALL TO CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY BUT EITHER THE LAZY UI WORKERS ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOB (WHAT ELSE IS NEW) OR THIS ID.ME IS A FLOP. MY MONEY IS ON THEM BOTH. WHAT A JOKE! SO TO DO AWAY WITH THE FRAUD THEY MAKE IT SO NOONE CAN APPLY. TYPICAL GOVERNMENT BULL$#*!. IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST TWO OR THREE YEARS FOR THE MORONS TO FIGURE IT OUT. IM FUKED IN THE MEAN TIME.
allenp130
November 18th, 2020
Every time I log in I have to download all my documents AGAIN. Worthless site. Isn't purpose to make loving into sites easier? The VA uses it, must really be garbage!
bobc439
April 7th, 2020
We were given a program for first responders and in order to participate, you have to include your social security number. This is a huge negative since SSN is a target for scammers. ID.me stated we could use our drivers license however, there is field to enter the DL anywhere. When we send a support question (ticket) they refer you back to the original form AND it creates a new ticket! For this one issue, we have 12 tickets!

Obviously, this is not a great site and management does not care to look at the issues they are having. So stay away.
raymondc321
October 18th, 2020
I have not been able to get through the process. Once your at phone call verification it states more than 30 min wait and hours still waiting. It's a terrible 3rd party program that road blocks the what was easy EDD process. I like the old EDD process even if I had to wait 2 weeks for approval - at least it worked
ronr533
August 22nd, 2020
After setting up an ID.me account and MyHealthyVet account, trying to upgrade to a Premium account is convoluted to say the least. I am 100% Service-Connected (Vietnam) and have been in the system for 50 years. If you want a secure system of identification USG - then use it for VOTING IDENTIFICATION instead.

Scam worst website ever should never use ever... doesn't work at all

By dustin C.