ID.me

Trustpilot
4.1 / 5
Better Business Bureau
1.1 / 5

ID.me has a consumer rating of 1.55 stars from 628 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about ID.me most frequently mention phone number, customer service and video call problems.ID.me ranks 528th among Software Other sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 28 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 4.5%

No positive highlights yet

• My unemployment has been suspended as a direct result of ID.ME not fixing my phone number verification.
  • This is the worst outfit that you will ever have to deal with, absolutely no customer service.
How would you rate ID.me?

“Friendly and quick service!”

Melody I.
4/28/22

I was going around in circles trying to fill the necessary fields online from overseas. When I finally reached out for help, ID.me sent me a reply right away. They recommended online video which made it easy to validate my identity. The "trusted referee" was courteous and helpful. He did an excellent job! Thank you!

“Junk app”

Tammy C.
1/29/21

If you have a choice unlike myself, DO NOT USE THIS APP! There's never a human to speak with Email responses are of no help. I spend hours trying to get verified only to close my laptop crying. There's no consideration that someone may be in desperate need to get verified. I'm stuck with no $ and not able to get back home. Make matters worse, I tested pos 3 days ago for covid. Here I sit again on round 2 of a waiting game. Total wait time 2 months.

phone number (47) customer service (38) unemployment benefits (18)
tammyc490
January 29th, 2021

Take a a antidepressant

Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience with the identity verification process. We are here to support and help resolve your issue. If you would like our assistance, please send us an email at sj.support@id.me. We hope to hear from you soon!

lilab27
December 12th, 2020

I'm using Idme for unemployment of Texas So far its been a pain in the ass. No phone # to contact customer service, Five hour wait time to chat on line with a trustee referees simply to verify who I am. I already uploaded my iD l, my health insurance card and my SSC but as you can see this is a joke of a website! It's absolutely frustrating and makes me wonder how much money they got pay? They are doing such a poor job

dawnr380
March 31st, 2021

I have been waiting for over 20 hours and nobody has gotten on the video chat as of yet. I have sent 5 emails no response. This is awful I have been trying for 6 days to get verified and still nobody has helped me. This is for my Unemployment for Texas i depend on it to support my 2 autistic children. They need more people or a vetter system ir they should not accept business they can't handle. The wait time still says over 5 hours im beyond mad. I would never ever use this company. If i could give no stars i would.

Tip for consumers:
Call whoever sent you here and tell them how awful it is.

Products used:
I was sent here to verify my Identity by Texas unemployment. It is the worst experience of my life after 20 hours im still waiting.

jies5
May 5th, 2021

Never respond to emails. I waited 8 hours to get to a video call with someone and she asks me to send email to support. I did the last few weeks, no response no response no response! Only automatic emails no live person to resolve issues! I've been hold up here too long unable to complete my UI application. Someone please do something about this company! I will write to White House! No service! But it hold up people's files!

Tip for consumers:
No response, no reponse, no response!!! It's been over 1 month! No intention to help or service!!!

ID verification

kayr225
April 6th, 2022

Unbelievable lack of service. All help is is a robot and a list of articles. Ask how to upload documents?
Nothing. Ask for help connecting with a trusted referee? Took days, and still, no valid answer, but I know every article by heart.
Ultimately I have reported them to the PA state representative Christine Howard, whose office said they are extremely difficult. If your life or need to buy food is on the line?
Forget them.

Adam V. – ID.me Rep

Hello Kay! We sincerely apologize for the difficulty you have experienced with the identity verification process. We are happy to help. Please send an email to sj.support@id.me for assistance. We look forward to hearing from you. ID.me Social Response Team

lesliee45
November 23rd, 2021

After spending 25 minutes uploading scans of my ID, inputting all kinds of personal data (address, phone, email, birthdate, SSN), confirming 2-factor authentication via text and email, allowing a credit report check, submitting to a biometric scan now they say I must video chat with their live agents to verify 3 more documents. It's frightening that a private company can collect this much personal information about individuals.

Tip for consumers:
The timeframe to actually complete the process (if it even works at all).

Nothing

melodyi16
April 28th, 2022

He did an excellent job!
Thank you!

Adam V. – ID.me Rep

Hello! We sincerely appreciate this positive feedback and we are glad that our Trusted Referee was able to assist you in successfully completing your verification. Do not hesitate to contact our team for any assistance you may require with your ID.me account or verification in the future. -ID.me Social Response Team

publiusn
January 13th, 2022

Their review system is non-transparent, asks for a lot of extremely sensitive documentation, and then if you have any issues with the verification process, it's almost impossible to get verified by their "referees" because the wait is insanely long. The waiting process is also very anti-consumer as it does not "hold" your spot even though the lines are over 2 hours long. This process is undoubtedly designed to "drop off" people who cannot sit in front of a screen and wait hours for their verification process.

Tip for consumers:
If you are a business choosing ID verification services, there are better ones out there than ID.me.

Not a product

Adam V. – ID.me Rep

Hello, we are sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience with the identity verification process. We are here to support and help resolve your issue. If you would like our assistance, please send us an email at sj.support@id.me. We hope to hear from you soon! IDme Social Response Team

christinac646
December 5th, 2020

I gave this company a really bad review a few days ago that i must retract. Once you are able to make contact with a person at the company everything goes very smooth. The people there a very nice and know what they are doing. The "trusted referee" operators or the system suck. Maybe they both are inept. But if you email
*******@id.me or *******@id.me you will get the help you need quickly. Be sure and include a phone number for them to contact you

Hello,

We are so glad to hear that! Thank you for the feed back! We’d love for you to share your praise on our other review platforms as well:

Google Reviews, https://g.page/IDmeReviews/review?gm

BBB Reviews, https://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-eastern-pa/review/236003677/

Thank you!

carolr1188
July 28th, 2021

This is the most confusing frustrating demeaning website I have ever been on. It took me 26 hours to get this whole thing completely done. Try not to get frustrated roll yourself a big fat joint. Take a Valium have a drink do something to relax yourself and then do it.
Because you will need patience big time. Nevada unemployment should done in the beginning why are they doing this in the end.
All I can say is good luck and I feel so sorry for anyone that it's just starting this websites fiasco...

Good luck

rasheens1
February 14th, 2022

Savings gone behind on rent car needs repairs. Id.me is just another way to destroy hard working citizens. I'm a seasonal worker. I've been dealing with ui for years now with id.me my claim was filed 12/5/2021 it's now 2/14/22 still no unemployment nothing. I hate this system it's making my situation unbearable.

amandam2091
January 22nd, 2022
Verified purchase

Tried using this multiple times. It's never able to verify our information. For the first time ever after much wasted time, I got to the point where I have to join a video call. And it wants us to stare at a computer screen for over two hours to video chat with someone? Best part - the time isn't going down for our wait time, it keeps increasing! I swear they do this on purpose so that working people who have been affected by covid can't access the help, and it's less money they have to put out.

chings6
March 1st, 2021

My review for I'd.me is, 1st of all, not user friendly, after they lure you to upload all your picture ids and your selfie, they stop responding or letting you know what's going on! I feel betrayed, and worry that what they gonna do with my profile and personal informations. At 1time I tried to sign back in, they said my email address and password were incorrect which is not so! Not a trustworthy site!

markd1229
February 12th, 2020

I ran across this service on the California DMV website. There was very little information about what it was but they made it look very official like it was required DMV business. It's nothing more than a marketing company trying to sell you something. Somehow they negotiated a spot on the DMV website to place their ad, because that's all it is. Sneaky and deceitful. I will not do business with someone who has to slink around in the bushes to attract customers. Don't fall for this scam.

rolandos40
August 18th, 2021

I wish all of ID.me Member Support Representative (name Cierra) are all like her, then you will not have all this bad reviews. From the first time I received an email from Cierra regarding my verification issue with NV DETR, she figured out the first time what the problem is and find a solution ASAP. Shortly thereafter, I was 100% verified. The other four ID.me Support did not quite know what they're doing and it took four weeks before I was lucky enough to be help by Cierra. She did a hell of a job…. Great job!

Adam V. – ID.me Rep

Thank you so much for the positive review! We were so happy to help. -IDme Social Response Team

jpk8
April 22nd, 2020

For a business dedicated to our front line workers its pretty sad they do not value their clientele. You can forget about any customer service. I have submitted multiple request for assistance and have received nothing but cookie cutter responses. Then when I try to respond for additional assistance they close out the inquiry so you have to keep going through the same process with no assistance.

irab74
March 25th, 2021

My request to ID.me is simple. Unlock my account and change my e-mail address. After two weeks, nothing. Every 3 to 4 days I get an e-mail update from ID.me telling me they apologize for not responding that they will contact me soon. Unfortunately, soon never comes. It's sad that this company who is suppose to support the military is more concerned about getting new business to join than to take care of the military members attempting to use their services which currently for me, no service.

joshuac719
December 18th, 2021
Verified purchase

Everything about ID.me is horrible. Text SMS not working, very frustrating. They need a lot of secure information in a very specific format that is frustrating to supply, and then when the digital service inevitably doesn't work, you are forced to join a video call to verify your identity. All required to verify your unemployment information. 0/10

javierm198
October 3rd, 2021

I don't know how ANY Government Agency could hire a Company that is totally worthless! I have been trying for 5 months to get my unemployment insurance verification but BECAUSE OF IDme worthless Software Glitches, I can't be verified! Wrote them Plenty of Times to fix this and ZERO Help because it's seems that all their Help Issues are resolved by Automation response! I'd like to give this Dirt Bag Company a Minus 10, but I guess the 1 star is needed.

davidh4873
December 11th, 2020

Everytime I logon to ID.me to get a "referee" to verify my identity for state services here in Texas, I'm put on perpetual hold. Wait time NEVER drops below 3 hours. This service is deplorable, and I'd give them negative stars if I could. The State of Texas should cancel it until they adequately staff themselves to handle the load.

Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you've been experiencing long wait times. We are here to support and help resolve your issue. If you would like our assistance, please send us an email at sj.support@id.me. We hope to hear from you soon!

csl6
April 16th, 2021

If you can get verified another way then avoid ID.me like the plague. Their software absolutely does not work to verify and they do not care to fix it. People's livelihoods depend on getting verified like millions of Americans filing for unemployment. It's a frustrating shameful nightmare where the media needs to get involved to reveal how ID.me manipulates people. Report them to your government officials to hire another company.

Run as fast as you can!

None

robertb135
February 23rd, 2022

I scanned my documents on a high quality scanner. I answered all their stupid questions. But then they said I still needed a live agent to verify me. No explanation why. It took days for them to get around to getting back to me. And then I had to wait on hold for almost two hours. That was after I was finally at the head of the line! And what did this guy do? Asked me to hold up my documents to my crappy web camera! There is no excuse for this, other than that you have no choice if you need to connect to the IRS web site.

bl459
January 26th, 2021

The online portion of the identify verification was easy enough, but if you have any potential anomalies in your file (change of address, frozen credit report, etc...), then you have to talk to a video agent. The wait is over FIVE hours, and usually if you try to wait, after 2-3 hours, the site hangs on you and you have to start over. This is the worst system ever designed, and when it's people's unemployment money at stake, it's even more atrocious.

delilahf6
December 7th, 2020

Same problems as everybody else. I've been trying to get my identity verified for 3 days for unemployment purposes. I leave my computer open for hours but my wait time never drops below 3 hours. Either this system is a fraud, or they need to hire 100x the number of "referees" they have right now. The government services we depend on should not be contracting with ID.me until they fix their issues!

rhettb16
January 13th, 2021

Site has several issues, none of which have any reliable workaround. It gets hung up on phone numbers, it can't handle any kind of curveball (foreign passport, maiden name), and the wait time for "referee" is basically eternity (nobody can confirm ever actually talking to one). Horrible customer service and basic troubleshooting. Really stupid and incompetent app beginning to end. Only an idiot who likes to burn their money would find this garbage company.

Tip for consumers:
Be prepared to go back to the agency and find an alternative because this service doesn’t work fo squat.

Online verification account.

-IDme Social Response Team

Hello! To reach a support associate at ID.me, please send an email to sj.support@id.me. We are happy to help.

See more answers (11)

Hello! Please see the below linked article, as well as our website, to learn more about ID.me! https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/articles/201904874-Who-is-ID-me- https://www.id.me/

See more answers (11)

Hello! If you require assistance with completing your ID.me verification for your state unemployment organization, please reach out to us at sj.support@id.me. We are happy to help.

See more answers (3)

Hello! We are happy to assist you with any difficulty you may be experiencing with your ID.me account or verification. Please send an email to sj.support@id.me for help.

See more answers (3)

Hello! We sincerely apologize for this frustrating experience. We are happy to help. Please send an email to sj.support@id.me for assistance.

See more answers (3)

Hello! We are happy to look into this for you. Please send us an email at sj.support@id.me.

See more answers (2)

Hello! Please see the below linked article for more information regarding data security and ID.me. https://help.id.me/hc/en-us/articles/360017705294-Is-my-information-secure- If you believe your data or ID.me account has been compromised, please reach out to our team at sj.support@id.me. We are happy to help.

See more answers (2)

Hello! We are happy to assist you in completing the identity verification process and obtain feedback on your experience with our service. Please send an email to sj.support@id.me for help. We look forward to hearing from you. ID.me Social Response Team

See more answers (2)

Hello! The ID.me verification process can be completed on a laptop or desktop computer, no smartphone is required. Please send us an email for further assistance/information at sj.support@id.me. We are happy to help.

See more answers (2)

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the ID.me staff and other customers.

ID.me simplifies how individuals prove and share their identity online. The ID.me secure digital identity network has 80+ million users with over 145,000 new people joining daily, as well as partnerships with 30 states, 10 federal agencies, and over 500 name brand retailers.

The company provides identity proofing, authentication and group affiliation verification for organizations across sectors. The company's technology meets the federal standards for consumer authentication and is approved as a NIST 800-63-3 IAL2 / AAL2 conformant credential service provider by the Kantara Initiative. ID.me's Identity Gateway also has a Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP) Moderate Authority to Operate (ATO). ID.me is the only provider with video chat and is committed to "No Identity Left Behind" to enable all people to have a secure digital identity.

Business History

Identity touches all sectors of the economy. But revealing the information that identifies us can be risky. At ID.me, we’ve changed this paradigm.

It began when ID.me’s CEO and founder Blake Hall, a decorated Army Ranger, watched a military veteran display their DD214 separation paperwork to a store employee to claim a military discount. The document held far more information than was needed to verify military service. Exposing so much personal information for a single benefit was risky and unnecessary. There had to be a better way.

We set out with the mission to make group affiliation verification easier and more secure. We began with the military community, but quickly grew to include students, teachers, nurses, first responders, and government employees.

We built partnerships with hundreds of retailers and expanded into regulated sectors like government, healthcare, and financial services with legal identity verification for high-risk transactions.

Today, we’re building a digital identity network where users verify their identity once, and never have to re-verify their identity again across any organization where ID.me is accepted. It’s just like the driver's license in the physical world. Once you’re verified, proof of your identity goes with you everywhere.

Adam V.
Typically responds within 28 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ID.me?

Have a question about ID.me?