HomeAway.co.uk

HomeAway.co.uk has a consumer rating of 1.17 stars from 48 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. HomeAway.co.uk also ranks 27th among Vacation Rentals sites. The most common issues with HomeAway.co.uk are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Only sales answer the phone, customer service forget it, been on the phone for an hour!
  • We have 'automatic refund' of guest deposits set up on our account -
How would you rate HomeAway.co.uk?

“This farmhouse was truly a wonderful find”

Valerie S.
5/29/14

This farmhouse was truly a wonderful find. We spent a week here in April exploring the region and had no difficulty driving down in our hire car from La Rochelle. We loved the layout and character of this villa. It is clean, spacious and comfortable and really felt like a home away from home. Our kids were particularly delighted with the games room which was a godsend when it rained! The heated swimming pool and private garden made the entire stay so relaxing. We will definitely return. The Stafford Family.

“Appalling disregard for customer loyalty,...”

Mick W.
9/7/17

As property advertisers with HomeAway.co.uk for 11 years, we are appalled at the way they have treated us over the return of a guest's deposit. We have 'automatic refund' of guest deposits set up on our account - unless we ask HA not to process the refund, it will be sent automatically. Last year we were contacted by HA, asking us to refund a guest ourselves directly, as the guest had changed bank accounts, and the HA automatic system would not be able to process to a closed bank account. We did so and thought no more about it. But, HA then automatically processed the refund anyway. The £300 refund was never received by the guest, is lost in the banking system, and HA say we must now repay them £300, as we 'activated' the automatic refund. We did not activate a refund, we have in place, as I said, the HA automatic refund facility, and as HA had contacted us precisely because they could not use this system to issue this refund, we naturally assumed that they wouldn't. If we had been required to deactivate the automatic refund, the person dealing with this issue should have informed us. Since then, we have had weeks of unpleasant and aggressive demands for us to repay HA the £300 that they are unable to find in the banking system, after they made the automated refund to a closed bank account. This has left us feeling very stressed and helpless. The financial ombudsman is unable to help as the company is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK. HA reasons that as we did not deactivate the automatic refund, having agreed to their request to help them by refunding the guest directly, we are liable for the 'lost' £300. After months of silence, we subsequently accepted an online booking, and yesterday HA emailed us to say that unless we pay the £300, they will take it from this booking. We want prospective clients who may be considering advertising with Home Away.co.uk to hear about our experience. After 11 years as loyal customers, we had expected that the company would value our custom, see sense, and stop pestering us for a payment that we do not owe. Sadly this has not been the case, so we will not be renewing our subscription, a financial loss to HA of much more than £300, and strongly advise anyone looking for a company to advertise with, to look elsewhere.

customer service (7) refund (14) credit card (9) property owner (4) service fee (3)
susant474
March 19th, 2019
I do wonder if customers realise how much money this company makes from both parties. It is now only possible to advertise with them as an owner, if they handle the customers money and charge a booking fee as well. They take all the profit for no outlay or risk hanging on to the money for months on end...I do wonder what would happen to it, if they went bust.
lesm34
June 8th, 2018
My advice to anyone looking at booking on homeaway is to google the property name or address. I have found a lot of the places have their own website or are listed elsewhere. They don't have the huge homeaway fees and you are able to contact the owners directly, much cheaper and faster confirmation. Talking to the owner directly is the best way of finding out what you need to know, plus usually they are willing to negotiate. Homeaway is a rip off.
davidk867
August 9th, 2019
Home Away don't honour their statement to help provide accommodation for the first 7 days of your booking that they cancelled. A guaranteed booking statement from them is not worth the paper it is written on. I believe Expedia owns Home Away . While Home Away is not regulated , you can complain to Expedia and if that doesn't work . Go to the Office of Fair Trading. Seems like this is the only way to treat THIS DISHONEST COMPANY.
petert317
October 22nd, 2019
Book with someone else. website refund states 5-7days this is not the case,full of excuses.Property Manager couldn't initiate cancellation due to there faulty system,then owner had problems with there bank. Homeaway was quick to take the money,not so quick to refund.
theb236
October 25th, 2019
Only sales answer the phone, customer service forget it, been on the phone for an hour! I have done a search on our own property, put in Bristol pet friendly, I get properties 30 miles away, must be about who pays the most money
ultimatepilatesw
March 19th, 2018
Stay away from this website. I wish I had read the reviews before using. Having been promised a 100%cancellation refund it has taken me a month of going round in circles and finally getting another home owner to tell me how to tell my owner what to get some of my money back. It was not -all of it but I have had enough and cant be bothered to fight anymore. I would give zero if it was possible. Expect no back up from the company whatsoever
amandag197
June 19th, 2018
Dont use this company. I hadnt checked the reviews, as we were more concerned with the reviews of the actual cottage, (which were glowing) HUGE mistake. They have effectively taken payment twice, (nearly £4000), so direct debits etc are now being refused and we are being charged for something which is not our error. Customer services were very hard to understand and get my point across to, which has made the process of resolution harder. Still trying to sort it out. PLEASE DO NOT BOOOK WITH THEM!
paulp471
September 19th, 2019
RIP off booked a holiday took 1600 off my credit card then 3 hours later informed me it was double booked paid in English converted to dollar so not my fault but £20 worse off and no holiday
janem168
November 29th, 2017
We have paid £591.60 for a holiday let next year with HomeAway.co.uk and had it supposedly confirmed by the owner. I have texted the owner to request receipt, no reply? I'm worried....this isn't usual having to pay all monies upfront.
jays500
February 20th, 2018
Worst company I have worked with. And the work renters. The renters did follow the rules, arrived too soon, left late trashed the property and HomeWay UK who was the agent - does nothing about it. Owners Beware!!!
gerrym36
November 30th, 2017
Been very happy with homeaway for 3 years but now expedia involved running a mile from them. Having signed up and paid for full years advertising they have removed my listing as I will not sign up to online booking and their added fees. To do this before end of my renewal is criminal. Oh well will not be renewing. Wont be getting another penny off me. Should now be known as keepaway.co.uk
michaelb663
February 19th, 2018
This is a dishonest malicious company. They have clients that are destructive to property, do not respect rules of the property and then trash the property physically and then complain about the property. Owners beware - you don;t want HomeAway renters.
katied58
January 25th, 2018
This looks like a good outfit but basically they take no responsibility for the properties or any issues with them. They want you to sort everything directly with the owner and if the owner is difficult they don't help. The 'deposit guarantee' is a joke as they simply take the owners word against yours without any proper consultation. I holiday regularly but would never use this company again.
paulp176
July 18th, 2017
Being on the website for over 8 years but since they have changed the way they run the website,and the horrendous fee they charge my guest for booking Iv had to drop my fees and my bookings have fallen by half...I am having the same problem that others are voicing on all this.It is now just not viable to use them and when this season is over will be seeking a new website to advertise,such a shame when they had such a great product....now all gone.
marieb90
June 15th, 2016
How dare they, was so happy with homeaway, before exGreedia got involved.
this is a cyber website, it is bits on a server, it costs nothing once it is up and running, if they charged £3 a listing they would still make money

I was HAPPY to pay £300 plus a listing, but THIS NEW HOLIDAY MAKERS THEFT SERVCE CHARGE 6-8% for nothing,

HOW DARE VBRO
HOW DARE HOMEAWAY
HOW DARE HOLIDAY-RENTALS UK

milk more money from our clients , smart clients will go else where to book, WTF

OUTRAGEOUS CORPORATE ARROGANCE AT ITS WORSE
rosemaryg37
July 6th, 2018
My credit card was refused 3 times and my daughters once. Probably a good thing as this company is the $#*!s. Dont do business with them.
vittorior1
July 27th, 2017
Looks like it is all fake ... I have been trying to book theee different times ... in reality the good offers never comes back , I called the customer care .... I don't understand , they should have agreements with the landlords but they simply don't answer your emails so you are just loosing your time and days to book somewhere else something good
ians76
June 26th, 2016
After many years advertising I amongst others will be leaving this company after they introduced fee grabbing off my potential renters. Thinking of listing your holiday property then think again about using these companies. How can they justify asking a renter to pay a fee of 49 Euros on a potential booking of just over 500 euros and charge me to list as well. Seems strange that enquiries have suddenly dried up!!!
waynes92
March 5th, 2018
I wrote a review about HomeAway which did not put them in good light. I wrote to the President himself and he got his legal team on the case. It is now resolved in my favour and all monies I was entitled to have now been returned. The actual booking service was good, it was just the after service care! Fairs Fair.
martb26
July 1st, 2014
For the second year running I have massive problems with this site. They have expanded the business so quickly that they have lost control of home owner accounts, customer satisfaction and as usual it is almost impossible to communicate with them.
VERY expensive and to be avoided at ALL COSTS. A very unhappy customer that has spent thousands of dollars on this site.
helenm45
January 21st, 2014
They cant give refunds. They advertise properties in wrong locations (deliberately) to protect property owner but renter is misled. Homeaway phones are manned by robots and cant resolve issues.
There is no security that is why scammers use this site BEWARE
valeries13
May 29th, 2014
martins34
October 31st, 2012
I've advertised on this site for 12 years.

They have now changed the way the interact with advertisers and we now have a choice of four levels. We've always paid their fees on a yearly basis and now they want about POUNDS 800.00 for the advert.

Their communications are absolutely awful. They take too long to reply to emails and even then don't answer all the questions.

I will not renew with this site ever again as they are just after the cash. As an individual owner, you can not compete with all the agencies they now have premium advertising on their sites - my holiday apartment will never now get anywhere on the search results. A really poor decision.

In my opinion, go elsewhere for your advertising and avoid all the HomeAway brands as they are too expensive.
malcolms18
April 21st, 2013
I have been with this website for about 5 years and it seemed to work o.k. until I went to re-sign up and found that they took my money but the site did not go active, no help or sense from customer support so demanded money back which did happen, sadly my anger at them cost me dear as I lost a seasons earnings, so swallowed my pride and went back as they were the largest in the world. Soon realised I was not getting many enquiries but constantly bombarded with offers to get more exposure if I paid more money; why would I , having already paid £300 to the biggest company. When I started looking I realised the con was my money only paid for exposure on the u.k. site and netherlands not on homeaway.com which I had been led to believe. Why would anyone who wanted to rent a holiday home not want it to be on the w.w.w this was not the case when I first signed up and is obviously a new scam to maximise revenue sadly I have lost another seasons revenue before becoming aware. I am disgusted by this company and will never use them again.
judithf3
August 1st, 2014
BE WARNED...

I reserved a flat in London through Owners Direct, HomeAway.U.K. Property E8437. The property manager was very accommodating when we made the reservation. Unfortunately, we were forced to cancel for reasons beyond our control. Our cancellation was outside the 60 day cancellation period. Full refund applied. The property manager said she would refund the deposit to our bank account. We have been waiting over 2 months for the refund. The property manager has never given me a bank transaction number. Thus, she hasn't sent the refund. I am now pleading to Citibank to help us as our deposit was made by our credit card.

I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone. It's been a 60+ day nightmare. Remember Homeaway.com UK Property E8437.

We had used Owners Direct (acquired by Homeaway) in the past and found it an excellent service. I cannot mirror that recommendation with Homeaway.

By Cathal O.

I rang them 4 times. I was told "I have authorisation to drop this call" and hung up on once. I was bumped back the first menu once. I got to speak with a manager once (Michelle) who finally gave me a case ID but followed up on none of the things I asked of her. The customer service is appalling.

By Cathal O.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the HomeAway.co.uk staff and other customers.

The world?۪s number one choice for holiday homes, with over 1 million listings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAway.co.uk?

Have a question about HomeAway.co.uk?