Healthful Chat

Healthful Chat has a consumer rating of 1.89 stars from 44 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Healthful Chat also ranks 130th among Health Information sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 16.7%

• Peer support site with over 50 different channels for mental, physical and mental illnesses.
  • This went on nightly when there were no other mods available.

• One of these disgusting moderators is named "Forever"
  • So, bullying does occur among chatters and moderators.
How would you rate Healthful Chat?

“What a hidden treasure”

Pyramid D.
6/30/20

I was so pleased to come across this free site, where I've made friends and developed acquaintances that understand my heath conditions. This is not professional counselling, but to me, it's even better... it introduces me to people that understand exactly what I'm going through. I can't thank this site enough for everything they and it's kind members have offered me. Thank you.

“Not great”

Myriah U.
6/6/20

Though some of the users can be nice the mods tend to be over zealous, there are many things you can't discuss and if you discuss any one topic for too long they'll ask you to stop- and if you don't your banned. This hasn't happended to me but I've seen it with issues about parents, abortion, addiction, LGBT issues. So I would say this service really isn't inclusive and others have highlighted that the mods can and actually do bully.

moderators (22) chatters (18) people (24) peer support (4) doesn (7) chat rooms (4) room assistants (4) mods (8) health issues (3)
robinw238
January 21st, 2020
Not a good site. Nees to be moderated 24/7/365. Too many trolls and other people who come here, it seems, just to torment other users.
dianek475
July 3rd, 2020
I got IP banned after correcting a mod that claimed AUTISM wasn't a mental disorder. Quoted CDC-5 for the mod to then state the book is wrong. I asked why they just couldn't admit their fault and boom, IP banned. Talk about ignorance and bullying.
anona85
July 1st, 2020
I was on this chat for no longer than 2 weeks, I was trolled. The mods did not care. I was making people aware with a friend of mine and we both got blocked for trying to help people. Once blocked they would not give us a reason.
dk296
January 25th, 2020
It bothers me that just about anyone can become a moderator of the site if they go through the trouble to do so. They admit, in fact, that the people who apply for it are mostly previous room members who suffer from mental health issues like many who view their site do.

They are by all means regular people. Like regular people, they can sometimes get a bit aggressive toward others. They can be snarky, cruel, dogmatic, single-minded, and all those not so wonderful things.

But they shouldn't be. I find in my experiences the moderators of this site can be very sour individuals who often put others into adversarial positions in which they hold power over them.

They aren't above kicking someone when they're down and making smart-ass remarks either. They aren't above a lot of things. Which is why you can't expect them to react with the regard for others you would expect them to in all their interactions. They don't hold themselves to that kind of standard.
chels4
February 2nd, 2019
The moderators in this chat are power hungry individuals who don't even interact with their chatters. They tell you to "move on" and offer no explanations for anything they do. They never respond to emails and the contact us is utterly useless. There is rampant sex talk that is allowed to go on. Anybody looking for a safe place to talk and discuss mental health best stay away, this chat has ruined so many people and the majority leave worse off than when they entered. It all starts at the top and those in charge don't care
jg608
February 7th, 2020
I've been a regular user of this site for quite some time. I have witnessed trolls coming in and out. The moderators can definitely abuse their power and oftentimes do for very trivial reasons. My "favorite" experience on this site consisted on two trolls spamming in the chat, saying inappropriate things, and harassing other users. Two moderators on the chat, however, decided to ban a regular user for no apparent reason besides the fact that he was telling the moderators to ban the trolls who wouldn't stop harassing other users. I do enjoy chatting with some other regular chatters, but I will also agree that the site (and moderators) need major improvement. I have literally witnessed pedophilia and perverted discussions, but the moderators are not online 24/7, so there is no watching out for the younger and more vulnerable chatters. It's disgusting. If you are looking for emotional support or advice, then this is obviously not the best site to use, so I would recommend sites such as 7cups or other chat rooms.
clairem183
March 12th, 2020
This is the worst mental health chat room to join. The members of the mental health chat rooms are very judgemental. If you say something they do not like. The members will ignore you, and mistreat you, They will judge you and hold it against you. The moderators are enforcers. The moderators constantly abuse their power. The goal of the moderators is to enforce the rules and to punish people who break the rules. The moderators do not care about the members. They have no compassion, empathy, mercy and forgiveness. The moderators also have favourites. The also have favourtie people they bully as well. The members are very negative.
rachaelb80
February 24th, 2020
This site is bullsh*t! No one in the chat rooms is even there to discuss hardships/designated topics. If anything using this site will make matters worse. Most of the people in the chat rooms are super mean.
miserablem
August 31st, 2020
I've been permanently banned from this site and I greatly depended on it. Now thinking even more about suicide. A chatter named ShadowOfLight who now goes by a different nickname (because everyone hates him, and even more so now) is the one who lobbied admin to get me banned. Reading the reviews, it seems I'm not the only one who has a problem with Forever, I don't want to talk too bad about her though, cause I'm convinced she is intellectually disabled, she just shouldn't be a mod. My permanent ban came out of nowhere, I litterally had just entered the room.
I've lost friends that meant so much to me now and am hopelessly alone, all because some loser couldn't make friends on his own merit. The things I did were so little, sure I got out of hand a time or two but its a mental health chat, isn't that to be expected to some extent? Not only did they ban me they said I was disgusting, abusive, and shameful. (of course they get to have the last word).
I'm so angry and helpless. They have completely disregarded what this will do to me. I wanna move on but I hate them so much. I hope something bad happens to them, I really do. That may sound bad but given what this will do to me, I can't help it. They've shown me 0 kindness or understanding.
jod103
May 26th, 2020
The moderating is awful.
CGJ Swamptoast really dislikes anyone who has an intelligent opinion and calls out their hypocrisy or their failure.
CGJ will come into the room half way through an argument and immediately shadow ban and shadow mute guests. One minute he says he is retired and the next he says "I'm a site Mod". There's no point trying to explain anything to him because he doesn't care about resolving anything, he just likes to shadow ban/kick and talk about the weather.
The way to get him on your side is to compliment him and then he'll let you get away with anything. The guy is incompetent and will let his friends do anything but ban anyone who he doesn't recognize as well as falsely claiming that you're already permanently banned when it's only your second time there lmao.
Swamptoast routinely lets chatters repeatedly use racist and homophobic terms (the n word and the f word) and when you tell him, all he says is "be respectful", if you then quote the rules which say it won't be tolerated he then threatens you with blocking your ISP. BUT he routinely lets two permanently banned chatters stay and swear all the time and talk about banned topics and only says to them "if you want to be here then behave"
There are two well known chatters who are permanently banned but show up all the time and Swamptoast says things like "I'll let you stay if you behave". What's the point in permanently banning people if you then let them come back?
When you point out this hypocrisy he threatens to ban your ISP for "arguing" with him and says things like "I'm tired of your complaining" and tells you to go to another site if you don't like it there. The guy pretends he gives so much of his time to the site when really he just spends his time there chatting about movies and gets annoyed if you interrupt that.
tommyd54
December 26th, 2018
No warnings I got banned for literally nothing. There are regulars that go there which the moderator always sides with and bans whoever disagrees or argues with them. The main chat is never about mental illness/support and more so of random idiotic subjects. Save your time and do something beneficial with it than on this site.

One of these disgusting moderators is named "Forever"
bipolarg
July 1st, 2020
I have been using the depression chat room for several years, on and off.
The chat rooms on healthfulchat, in particular the depression chat room, is constantly trolled by people who seek to bring emotional pain to those already suffering from mental ill health.

The website is advertised as a safe, moderated site where people can access peer support.
However the site very often has no moderator(s) online at all, and even when moderators are online they are not very good at dealing with the trolls.

As other people have said in their reviews, there are a few well known users that regularly troll the site but they are not dealt with.

Some of the moderators also behave like children themselves, and should not have been given the position as moderators. Culprits include 'BlueGobi' and 'SPP'.
Despite people complaining about how the site is moderated, or complaining specifically about individual moderators, the owners of the site do nothing simply because the moderators are volunteers.

The site is outdated and poorly run, soif you're looking to connect with people for peer support, try somewhere else.
anonc8
July 16th, 2020
It's moderated but it's awful moderating.
Like Emily said the moderator Forever is on a power trip and a complete bully, one of the worst moderators along with CGJ and Rosie.
Forever bullies by muting chatters and then keep them muted until she logs off. The other moderators won't unmute you while she's there which means she can keep chatters on mute. While you're on mute she either ignores your messages or just PMs snarky comments like "so how are you?" or "you seem to think you have a lot of fans here" or "not much going on with me". It's part of the bullying to avoid talking about why she muted you and to provoke you. She keeps you on mute and then logs off and you have to wait until another moderator comes on and ask them to unmute you.
Rosie tells people that graphic details of death can be discussed in the anxiety room because "it causes" anxiety, even though it's supposed to be done in the bereavement room like other moderators say all the time. If you call her out, she accuses you of "acting like a moderator" but she has been called out by former moderators who are now chatters for making up the rules and breaking them.
Rosie claims to have lots of conditions, like ptsd, but has no symptoms at all and doesn't need any treatment for it. She also claims she has COP, agoraphobia, health anxiety and has social anxiety but goes out all the time on public transport and in cars, she goes shopping and goes to appointments without any issue she also uses elevators with ease, goes to social events all the time including activity group events and walks on beaches and smokes. She never seems to have any concerns with her health and said she manages it by "self-reassurance"
Rosie recently decided that she has OCD but she doesn't have any obsessions or compulsions and doesn't have a diagnosis for it either.
Cally is another incompetent moderator whose main trick is to shadow mute and shadow ban anyone she doesn't like. She hates guests and does it to them the most; she is snarky and generally provokes fights because she jumps on every little thing. You can call out her incompetence but do so at the risk of being kicked and banned.

The site is in desperate need of moderators so maybe that's why they'll accept people who make up site rules and make up health conditions.
timmyv1
March 29th, 2018
99% of the people on that site including the mods are vicious trolls that bully everyone actually looking for help and ignore spammers making disgusting posts and treating chat like a pick up room. No customer service to speak of; emailed numerous times with no replies, inconsistent and contradictory instructions from moderators. Horrified and disgusted this is the top search result from Google.
freyal2
November 4th, 2018
Overrun. Under-staffed. This place has turned into a mental asylum in every literal sense. Only, the guards themselves are mentally ill too. There is barely any support, and the little support that the good people do give, get lost in a sea of trolls. Any mention of self-harm and feeling suicidal, and you will instantly be muted and spammed with crisis lines, without further dialog.
emilyh271
April 13th, 2019
BlueGobi and Forever are probably the two worst offenders. Moderators pick fights, hold grudges, keep vendettas, etc. Not a safe place to talk about your feelings if you want to avoid being bullied by them.
felicitym9
November 4th, 2018
I was banned in the room because I had the nerve to question a moderator as to why I had been reprimanded for talking about antidepressants ( in a depression support site - how dare I huh?) but he continued to talk about what type of mustard he should be using on a sandwich. Apparently my question was "off-topic" but his wasn't.

Go figure!

Militants. Not interested in the wellbeing of their chatters. Period. Avoid.
demarusw
January 26th, 2019
The mods are corrupt on this site and tonight was the worst for me. I love a lot of the folks here and was talking to a girl but got muted and couldn't continue and despite my protests, this particular female moderator by the name of Forever decided that I was spreading too much shade and banned me for 48 hrs. As of this Saturday evening. I said enough was enough and decided to put this here. I have autism, depression, and anxiety from years of childhood and teenage abuse and despite my story, most of them couldn't have cared less. This has happened every night non stop all week long and this weekend was hard as I lost a dear friend and didn't know it till yesterday.

The contact form doesn't even work when I tried to complain, this person said "I don't know why." Without a verification image, it won't go through. This clearly to me was intentional as a year ago the form worked properly and I used it to report a user who abused me online. This site is broken by design and the mods are too heavy handed and want to play favorites. Literally, we're at the mercy of them but with few other options what can be done?
billb546
November 4th, 2018
From my personal experience the moderators on this site breach privacy by reading your personal messages and mute and ban you with no explanation - Blue Gobi is a toxic aggressive moderator and has no regard for its users.
Stay away from this site the moderators are not there to help its users and pick and choose who they ban regardless of what they think you have done.
tomd320
November 4th, 2018
Here's a few examples of what you might find upon entering # depression.

"37 m here. I'm a mature student who is 45 and I love seeing 18 year old girls in my class. They're all so young and hot. Help me please"

"Any girl wanna pm?"

"I am honestly looking for a cute boyfriend but I have no idea how to expand my social network to actually be able to meet and get cute guys. I was told I can just come on here to find a guy and they'll probably say yes but I'm too shy loll. Crossing my fingers I'll get a cute and CARING AF bf. Hehe. PM ME BOYS."

"I don't really come here for support"

'Nuff said.
mckennae
May 26th, 2019
Dont try! They pmed me saying oh your banned and i did nothing. It mad me very upset that i cried. They said i was a liar but i lied about nothing
jackh286
August 28th, 2019
The people there never cared about what I had to say they just ignored me. I felt very unnwelcomed. There are also a ton of trolls being mean to other chatters. I thought this is a place where people are supposed to support others who have mental problems but instead it is totally the opposite.
as336
April 8th, 2019
So at this site the moderators and RAs or room assistants are basically chatters who also volunteer for the site this means they can keep acting as chatters one moment and then act as moderators the next. Nothing wrong with this until you come across the likes of Stayathome78 and CGJ both of whom are RAs - here are examples of how they do their job:
CGJ says things like "Shut it, just shut it! Be respectful" to chatters and then mutes them when they tell him to "get lost" in response. Anyone else spot the hypocrisy in telling someone to shut it and then telling them to be respectful? Probably just likes to throw weight around because he can get away with it.
Stayathome78 says things like: "Kiss my a**" and "I wish people would remove the stick from their a** when they come to chat" he also has long slagging matches with chatters in the anxiety support room. Yep people who are having anxiety issues can go and watch as he fights it out about veganism and other pointless topics. But to his credit Stayathome does pretend to be helpful and says hi to everyone who came to the room in between throwing snarky insults: "Hi, John, welcome to anxiety support... why don't you kiss my a**... hi Jane, welcome to anxiety support"
What was ironic is that CGJ is apparently a senior RA and had to tell Stayathome78 several times to ignore the chatter so the fighting would stop and another moderator had to keep telling him to stop fighting with other chatters.
How can someone be an RA and not even keep the rules they tell others to keep.

If you find chat room catfights fun, then this is the place for you, but if you actually want anxiety support, then find another site.
bobb693
March 31st, 2019
Gave it one star because CGJ could be doing this to people who are really in desperate need of some kind of support and this could just be one kick in the teeth to many.

On a site that's about peer support it's not a good idea to have staff with cognitive impairments or extreme mood swings if this affects how they do their jobs.

Sites are supposed to have cookie policies and privacy policies about how they collect, store and use your data, but this site doesn't have either of those at all so who knows what's happening to the data and chat logs, they could be going to marketing companies etc.
Pretty sure there's a law that means all websites have to have a cookie policy if Google, Ebay and Amazon have to have one, everyone probably has to have one but this site doesn't have either.

That's the summary review and this is the reason for the review:
Visited this site three times over one month as a guest number as I'm wanted to see if it was worth joining (it isn't). The last time I visited I was accused of being someone else by a junior moderator (room assistant) called CGJ. This guy admits to having a condition which means his cognitive function is impaired and also says he has a condition that means he's prone to extremes mood swings so I don't know if that's why he did what he did.

CGJ had already threatened to kick another guy for asking women to private message about sex (which isn't allowed on the site) and when another guy did it, I called him a slimeball. CGJ asked me to be nice and I said that I wasn't nice to slimeballs.

5 minutes later CGJ tells me to use my "proper nickname" and that "you've been warned about this" I told him it was only my third time there and never had a nickname but he banned me for 48hrs for not using the "proper name" whatever that is.
The ban was either because he has records and couldn't understand them properly or because he didn't like the fact I said I wasn't nice to slimeballs and so he made up a fake reason to ban me (tbh both of those reasons are pretty bad)
I contacted the site because if there is someone else with that "proper nickname" they'll get a nasty surprise when the log on and find themselves banned.

Either the site doesn't store personal data properly and it gets corrupted because
It's saved as some kind of file that can be easily or accidentally modified or CGJ just made it up to use as an excuse to kick me, or his cognitive impairment means he couldn't fully understand the data he was looking at (probably IP addresses) and yes, there's the possibility that it wasn't his impairment but just his slapdash approach to moderating (if he didn't just make up the whole "proper nickname" thing)

Be careful with what you share and don't choose a nickname until you're sure this is the site for you. It's not the site for me, but thanks to the other review, I'll check out 7cups which sounds much better (the "peer support" on this site varies from unhelpful to awful for the exact same reason Vi N said in their review)

Healthful Chat is legit. Many of the negative reviews here are not. The wording and that names have been changed, but reviewed with the same content and on the same day, are indication the same person keeps reviewing. Myself personally am a Healthful Chat chatter who has used the site for several years and been helped by it, rather than a "sponsor" (whatever that is) as I've been accused of here. All the negative reviews are obviously disgruntled chatters who have been asked to follow the rules by moderators and now have a vendetta against the site. Use the site properly and follow the rules, respect the mods and room assistants, and you will get help from Healthful Chat. I see your type in Healthful Chat consistently and what you're doing in this review process is very apparent. I've even seen disgruntled chatters go to reddit and request people to join them in trolling stayathome78, forever and one other moderator. Very pathetic.