Review of Etsy

2018 Customer choice award

526 reviews with 1 star

franzg5
1/21/19

I have been on Etsy for 10 years. Since Etsy has been taken over Josh Silverman (glorified on thejewishnews.com), this website is now horrible, fees are higher and sales dropped for most of the sellers. Their rules are shady.

They stand as 'handmade plateform' which even more shady, now just type in search 'dildo' and you will find and see what I mean.

If you are a seller, stay away from this plateform!

wandah75
1/20/19

Purchased a Scrunchie 08/18 & was suppose to be 100% Human Hair. Was NOT, & would not give a Refund.

Tip for consumers: Would not recomend to anyone

samanthac193
1/15/19

I ordered two gifts from them for Christmas and I did not get either one of them. For the first purchase, I was notified after Christmas that there was a glitch in the system and what I ordered was already sold. The second, I had to open a case to find out where it was and after a lot of back and forth I still did not get the item. So there was over $200.00 tied up in presents that never came.

dennisb305
1/15/19

I ordered two tapes from a vendor from the web site ETSY. this was on Dec 17.2018.The vendor on the order receipt stated that it would take 1 to 2 weeks to send them.One month later i sent several e mails to the site.NO answer at all.so i opened a complaint with ETSY.well again not a thing was done.AGAIN I SENT E MAIL TO THEM NOT A THING AGAIN.so last thing i had to do was get ahold of the credit card company.They are looking into the problem.To keep from having this problem dont use this web site.They are a total rip off.

anned115
1/6/19

Yet another taken for a ride by Etsy
Yet another taken for a ride by Etsy this Christmas! Spent £27 on gift, 13th Dec, e mail indicated it shipped 15th Dec, but no tracking info. Money has left my account, no gift, no response from seller or Etsy. Don't go here, they are rip off merchants!!

erikab58
12/20/18

Dont buy ever at this BS market place. Seller totally liar and dont refund my money. I place order for abaya and what i received is TOP with cheap details. How come? And etsy said they cant do anything about it? Is this serious? Sh*t! Dont ever buy or you will lose ur money!

angelicam37
12/18/18

I bought a shirt and it said it was sending forever. It's been months and the tracking number doesn't work and I don't even know how to get my money back you're better off buying on wish. The good reviews are Probably fake reviews.

ulricl
12/18/18

I wish I reviewed this company before shopping, I wouldn't be here leaving my own review of how negatively I was treated. I opened a non-delivery case with them concerning a necklace I purchased from one of the shops (gorgeous) selling on their site. I was never contacted/emailed about the case I opened. They just closed it. Ultimately I lost money but it's a lesson learned. If ur interest is obtaining items which promotes ur positive energy shop elsewhere not at ETSY. If they tolerate shops like gorgeous then those items are not coming from a spiritually positive place. This was a Kyanite stone yellow gold necklace for my wife and it wasn't valuable enough to have it shipped UPS requiring a signature. DELETE THE ETSY APP FROM YOUR DEVICES. I pray this helps someone from making the same mistake as I did.

gails326
12/9/18

I am in North America and purchased a hat from an Etsy seller located in Italy. After almost 2 months, the seller and I assumed that the hat was lost in the mail, so the seller issued me a refund. I finally received the hat and informed the seller so, since this is the right thing to do. To my surprise, when I opened the package, the hat was a completely different material (except for the underside of the tiny visor) and was a completely different style. The difference is so easily seen, that the seller could not have mistaken that the hat she sent was not the hat I ordered. Since the hat is not what I ordered and I don't want it, the seller wants ME to foot the bill for the return of it to Europe. I do not believe I should be financially responsible for the shipping of a hat that I did not order. I offered to return it if she would pay for shipping, but she refuses. The seller used the excuse that because it was made to measure, that's what the problem is. I'm sure the photos that I attached in this review will refute that without question. And the seller is "disappointed in [my] behavior" even though I was honest enough to tell her that I received the hat. I didn't have to do that. The seller is untrustworthy and unprincipled.

Etsy has policies that say they will intervene between seller and buyer in certain cases. My case qualified in 3 different areas of their terms for intervention. After several emails with Etsy, Etsy gave me all kinds of irrelevant rhetoric in their responses, and refused to intervene, refused to look at the photos, and stated outright that they "refuse to discuss the matter further," despite the qualifications for intervention. Thank goodness I already received my refund when the seller and I thought the hat was lost, or I would be out almost $100. because Etsy refuses to honor their own policies. Because of this, other buyers from this seller are subject to similar or same experiences.

I will never shop on Etsy again.

juliab193
12/3/18

All positive reviews about this Etsy scam are fake and paid for! Scammers below (Dottie M, Amber N, Milburn A and Billy J, Freddy D, etc) are paid by Etsy to deceive others. If they sell their soul for mere $5, imagine what would they do to you! Beware and report these cyber criminals!

mandya25
10/31/18

Apart from scamming people 365 days a year, Etsy scammers are particularly fond of holidays because that's when their victims and unlawful profits increase in abundance! DO NOT get tempted by fake images and fake positive reviews on Etsy! Their scamming tactics are notorious and their only aim is to rip you off! I was victimized there but you don't have to! It is my duty to inform and warn others! Avoid this scam at all costs!!!!!

igorg27
10/26/18

I'm a seller, they closed my shop and didn't say why!!!!!!!!
I lost so much money...
I'm very very upset

jamesb1314
10/25/18

I listed some items on ESTY for sale and a lady ordered 1 of the items and paid ESTY $45 ESTY never mentioned the sale to me and I tried to talk to them about it and they informed me that I did not have an ESSTY account and asked that I give them a credit card and they would not charge me and help me find my account. I saw the items I listed and it even said I had 1 sale but I could not open the account.I will pay the lady back her $45 but ESTY will hate the day I was born. I intend to write about this on every venue possible for as long as I have the strength to write.

terrih42
10/1/18

SITTIN PRETTY WITH MYLEEN RIPPED ME OFF $450 ON AN ITEM I PURCHASED THAT THEY REFUSED TO SHIP TO ME. THEY REPEATEDLY MADE EXCUSES OF WHY IT HADN'T BEEN SHIPPED. LONG STORY SHORT. THEY REFUNDED THE MONEY FOR THE ITEM AND KEPT $450 SHIPPING. THEY WERE 100% IN THE WRONG AND ETSY WOULD DO NOTHING.

jennar34
9/29/18

Words cannot express the terribleness of this monster scam known as "Etsy"! Whoever those inhumane criminals are, they deserve capital punishment! STAY AWAY!!!

milanc
9/14/18

Ordered a cake topper for our wedding in December, Was promised to receive it by June/July. It is September and I haven't received it. Called Etsy for assistance as the missed window will make me incur extra costs since our venue is out of town and we went on a trip to the venue in August to take all purchased accessories and decor items to necessary vendors in our luggage(as to avoid paying to ship them). Etsy says oh well, enjoy your topper we can't make the vendor do anything. Vendor has not sent any proof of any kind and then sends me an email today sayin I shipped it and added items to it that you didn't ask for and I missed the details that you did ask for. Wedding planning can be very stressful but i've been fortunate that mine has not been with the exception of this unprofessional vendor and etsy's lackadaisical support department.

dianam243
9/11/18

Now this Etsy scam has reached further heights by paying review websites such as this one to remove negative reviews and replace them with fake positive ones! In November 2017, Etsy did have 1,028 negative reviews which suddenly dropped to only 114 in December! Worse yet, the scam site was proclaimed the winner of "Sitejabber's 2017 Customer Choice Award". Ridiculous! Etsy is determined to remain the leader in Internet fraud business and they are doing all that it takes to silence their victims! Brutal criminals!!!

adams454
8/30/18

Do not trust positive reviews coming from Etsy scammers and thieves! Of course that they don't want you to know about their scamming tactics! Every person KNOWS what it wants to buy but scammers on Etsy DO NOT SELL what they claim to be selling! Etsy's "case system" is bot-operated and automated to side with scammers pretending to be "sellers" because Etsy needs them - NOT YOU! Scammers share their stolen funds with Etsy - not customers! BEWARE AND REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM!

johnr1095
8/25/18

Etsy, a site a previous review of mine defends.. is now on the chopping block for me. I just witnessed this week alone Etsy charging innocuous small amounts to a credit card of mine I used a year ago to make a purchase. One dollar fishing charges by the looks, labeled as Etsy Seller Fees I never linked this card to Etsy I only found them because the card has been paid off. I canceled the card. Whether Etsy is doing it or some hacker, fishing fees seem a great way to steal without being noticed. If a 1000 cards were hacked then thats 1000 ways to hide small charges that might go unnoticed rather than 1000 bucks stolen from one card... think about it.
ALSO.. in the Etsy forums, a place Etsy touts as a safe haven for both buyers and sellers.. an Etsy seller posted a contact number for Etsy support. Now Etsy support is notoriously spotty as it's mostly a self run site meaning ..youre on youre own! Its a nightmare to get anybody to email you back or call.. so this post was a helpful thing, and Etsy REMOVED it before I could read the 3rd page of replies. That kinda stinks Just what is Etsy hiding from? I have posted the screen shot I took before the post was removed. And what the heck is Etsy doing with our credit info?
If you find small charges you didn't authorize on your cards you used on Etsy call your card provider and close that card out. Your provider will send you a new card with a new number Etsy doesn't have.

lisab718
8/23/18

I find it impossible to believe that despite of all the warnings, people still visit and get scammed on Etsy! Unsure in which language should any of us speak to make people understand that Etsy is a dangerous scam website whose sole purpose is to steal your money and to sell your personal details to other scam sites. I have been scammed out of $2400 in late 2017 and I had no where to turn! Calling the police or reporting the case to the FBI (Internet Crime Complaint Center) did not sort anything! Anyone can set up a "shop" on Etsy, link it to their PayPal account and put fake item images from the internet pretending that they are selling them. WAKE UP AND DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO THOSE ONLINE PREDATORS!!!

lewisb61
8/12/18

What I ordered was useless, did not work and had parts missing. Seller did not respond to my many attempts to reach him, so considering the cost and hassle of returning the item I tossed it in the recycle and said goodbye to my $69.95. Stay away from ETSY.

ginan17
8/10/18

Purchased dress only to have the incorrect dress shipped to me. Then the seller, sanyagold, sent my information to the other, vivian alexander. Vivian works for the federal government, proceeded to utilize the federal database to locate my contact information. Vivian then contacted my office and proceeded to harass my staff for the better part of a week concerning the exchange of this dress. When etsy was called concerning the mixup and release of my personal information, they refused to assist and allowed the vendor to remain on the site without concern. I was left to go to paypal for return of my monies. I would be careful with this site as they may be sharing more than names and addresses with people.

nellya10
8/7/18

Sellers are more protected than buyers and the buyers are not genuine for example they wont let u cancel orders that are not yet shipped they force u to take them even when u have decided to change ur mind. And then very expensive compared to other places for the same products.

rn46
8/6/18

I have been buying antiques and art for several years on etsy, and the sellers are getting more and more dishonest and belligerent. I always use paypal for an extra level of protection, but the dealer can still stick you with all the shipping charges if you return something, even if they lied in the description of the piece. The level of honestly and professionalism was much better three years ago.

lynneb64
8/2/18

Poor quality merchandise attempt at a return was futile. Customer service does not respond. Several attempts to contact them went unacknowledged.

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?