Review of Etsy

Tel: +1-718-855-7955
2018 Customer choice award

murield2
10/27/17

Etsy is an abusive company that may close your shop whenever they want under any excuse, even if you have several hundred sales with every review being 5 stars. You sell handmade, quality products and you make your customers happy ? It's not going to make any difference. Meanwhile, Etsy let Alibaba/Aliexpress re-sellers stay there.

Please, read this article, this is exactly that Etsy is:

bevj6
10/26/17

I'm thinking of closing my shop because after about a 7 year span, I've sold maybe only 50 items. My daughter opened a shop, she is over 18 years old, but used our address. She had a claim on her shop, and etsy SUSPENDED MY SHOP (as well as hers), with no notice to me, after I finally got through to a representative that was supposed to help, they told me there was overlapping information between the two shops and that is why MY shop was also suspended! The customer service experience was AWFUL, almost rude. This is the last sentence of the last email I received from them, copied and pasted. "Because we've shared all the information that we're able to regarding this connection, my team and I will be unable to respond to any further emails on the subject."
Even when I reached out with a new claim, they WILL NOT return an email. Absolutely saddened by this. I used to own stock in this company. I sold it.

dh410
10/24/17

Fair Warning to anyone that thinks ETSY is a "cool" place to shop. Had a seller put glass in a box without proper wrapping for $134.50 and ship it. Of course it arrived broken. Here's what happens next with this site:
1. I contact ETSY seller "SHORTPANTS" to tell her the packing was not sufficient - she tells me I broke it and ignores any request for refund.
2. I contact ETSY "customer service" get form emails but never get any response from a human. This was over 2 weeks ago, and they have never contacted me.
3. I file claim with AMEX after figuring out I'm dealing with a scam artist. AMEX refunds me. Again ETSY never responds.
4. I close the claim and give negative feedback. ETSY REMOVES negative feedback. I you check you will find it very rare that anyone in fairyland (ETSY) ever had negative feedback.
I will never buy anything from this site again. Their support is nonexistant, unless you are a dishonest seller, then you have it. If it were not for paying with AMEX or Paypal you are screwed. At any rate how fair is it that such a seller gets to keep my money?????

Tip for consumers: Dont buy on ETSY.

annav48
10/24/17

I do not know where to begin. I ordered a pair of earrings from SacredTribeArt TWO MONTHS ago and still have not received them. This is after contacting the seller myself, being ignored by the seller, and finally opening a case with Etsy's dispute resolution team one month ago. Needless to say, I am appalled by Etsy's customer service. Their "Dispute Resolution Team," is essentially useless. They claimed they would resolve the case with the seller, and ONE MONTH has gone by and still nothing. After trying to email the dispute team many times to see if I will be receiving my product or not, they just reply with PayPal's refund policy, failing to answer my question at all. I finally was able to speak on the phone (just now) with a customer service rep, and she essentially told me that I have to contact the shop owner myself, even though she knew I already had AND knew their account is suspended right now anyways. She basically said she could not do anything at all to help me. Apparently their "Dispute Resolution Team" is actually a figment of imagination. YOU ARE THE WORST ETSY!!!!! That is the last purchase I will ever make from your website, hands down the worst customer service I've ever been falsely offered.

poppieg
10/23/17

I've recently started a pin shop on Etsy as I wanted some extra cash for my college fund. So far I'm very impressed! I've had 15 sales so far and have made a few extra bucks I wouldn't have had. I highly recommend this site :)

marilyny4
10/22/17

I love etsy as you can buy things that are handmade and you can't find elsewhere. I have 2 shops on etsy and I am very happy with the website. I have also ordered a few times from other sellers and always have been very happy. Etsy's customer service used to be quite slow but now they are quite fast and helpful.
There are things that need improvement though but they are working on it.

lauraettee
10/21/17

I purchased a watch band for Apple watch. Very well made, nice leather, and the ends fit precisely to the watch
.. unlike many dealers selling Apple watch. It took about a week to arrive which was also excellent and efficient! Lauraette Evans

rhondak25
10/21/17

Stay away from ordering items of any kind, takes three weeks or more to get your items and the items don't look NOTHING like the pictures, the fabric is super cheap looking.and the sizes run very , very, small, sizes not near to being close to a true size.all of this is true especially if it us coming from China!

paular58
10/20/17

Anyone new to Etsy needs to be aware that when it comes to buyers they couldn't care less. I opened a case against a seller after waiting nearly three months for an item I'd paid for to arrive. I did this because the seller claimed that I was being unreasonable to expect to have received an item sent from Canada to London in that time period and assured me that I just needed to be patient. After checking the shipping times between Canada and the UK, I realised the seller was being less than honest, especially as they could not furnish proof of postage receive a . I believed that Etsy would agree I should receive a refund. However, a short while later I received a form email from an Etsy customer support person telling me that they decided in the seller's favour, as they had an admin number which was proof the item had been sent. I queried what an admin number was and was sent another form email this time claiming that the seller had shown them a tracking number as proof. This was news to me as the seller had told me that a tracking number was not available. I contacted Etsy again and this time was told it was not a tracking number but a 'shipping receipt' When I asked what that was, I was given a very convoluted explanation, which basically boiled down to the seller having printed off a shipping label from Etsy. I pointed out that was not proof that the seller had actually posted the item, just proof they had printed off a label and that I wanted to see proof of purchase. The Etsy representative tried to use the confidentiality excuse before admitting they had actually seen a proof of purchase. In other words, despite their 'investigations,' they had done no more than look to see if the seller had printed off one of their labels. I fail to see the purpose of inviting users of the site to open cases when they clearly can't be bothered to actually investigate. Instead they simply wait a few hours before emailing a draft email. The three I received from three different representatives were identical. But don't take my word for it, check out the scores of bad reviews they racked up and judge for yourself.

andrewj112
10/11/17

I have ordered several items...decals for my car and my fiancees car. I had Just received my Superman window decal. I have had no problem and i had received my orders withing 3-4 days depending on where it was coming from. The customer service was excellent. Thanks Etsy. I will recommend them to folks....oh wait....i already have done tht.

briannam21
10/10/17

Been waiting on my order for awhile now still haven't got it can't get ahold of nobody to talk too will not order from them again.

danah64
10/9/17

Received a second bird from this artist ... birds are delicate and very lifelike. I bought a pure white one and a blue jay. They are sitting on a lampshade and at Christmas, the white one sits on my tree (I bought the white one at a sale before this artist opened on Etsy). Love them! You can be sure that this seller will deliver as promised.

jessf24
10/7/17

I have shopped on Etsy for years! Spent thousands of dollars on that site!! I guess the policies have changed. Or the shops dont care. Second time never receiving my package. Sellers are small shops arent held responsible to make customers happy. Etsy doesnt do anything either. Im done. I wont shop on Etsy ever again. Sucks to waste hard earned money online and have no guarantee of ever receiving your package. Shop local or direct!!

thun13
9/29/17

Spent 5 years on this site , and one day they shut us down without warning just like housand of sellers else . This is the most unsafe place for seller , please be careful !

tamraeu
9/28/17

I bought a few items from Etsy for my granddaughters BD, 2 of which never arrived. I reached out to sellers many times to no avail. it's very difficult to "open a case" on this issue. that tells me the Etsy mgmt really doesn't give a crap if you receive your items. I will never buy from this site again.

traceel
9/27/17

It seems about 30% of the time when I buy on Etsy the items don't ever arrive. I get charged and sometimes I get charged like $50.00 to ship very light items, but then they never come.
Etsy doesn't back you up like Amazon. They make you wait a week AFTER your item is late before they'll even open a case.

I ordered--most recently--sparkelers and rose satchels for my daughter's wedding next week. I'm out $600.00 on these 2 items--neither have arrived--and Etsy's policy is that I should wait until the wedding is over before they will even look in to it.

NO MORE ETSY for me. Amazon takes care of their buyers.

donnad118
9/26/17

I ordered two initial prints as wedding gifts from Knot&Nest. Before placing the order, Becca took the time to show me what the prints would look like using two different date formats. I ordered them on the 20th of June and they arrived on the 24th. The burlap was of very nice quality with some stiffness for easy framing. I framed them myself purchasing frames that were matted with an 8 x 10 opening. Love this product and will be purchasing again. Thank you Knot&Nest!

joek117
9/24/17

I ordered acrylic paints never received it after waiting 15 days contacted the seller he responded that they will investigate . That was the last I heard from them I send more messages and never got any responses that was the end of it no refund no product no explanations.

paulel1
9/22/17

i have ordered items for my wedding includings my dress i received them well before the time frame on time quicker than i expected. i bot my dress from LoveTheBride shop the shop owner is tasha mertene based in Lavia very good quality my dress was done in less than 3 weeks very happy with the finish.
i didnt have to return any of them.
other etsy vendor i would recommend
my wedding jewellries from https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/LILYINWHITE
ring holder https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/talkingloves
cake topper https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/caketoppersshop667
wedding bag from https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/AlohaCreativeShop

nishaa5
9/21/17

I ordered a dress for a wedding for my daughter on 9/7/17 when I received the dress it was torn. I emailed the manager several times about the issue and received no response. I paid 90.00 for a dress that cost less than 5 to ship. Shipping was $17 and then the dress was torn upon arrival. I will NEVER order or recommend this unprofessional company to anyone. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS SITE!!!!

christinaf44
9/13/17

Recently Etsy has changed their policy to one which forces buyers to accept bank cards and credit cards. Unfortunately what this means for sellers is very long wait timse for getting payed. I decided not to use Etsy anymore when it took 3 weeks for them to deposit the proceeds from my last sale into my bank. That is WAY too long. No more selling on Etsy for me!

normk1
9/13/17

Ordered an item, a different one was received, forgot my password, their system is unfriendly, told them so, then received a 1 line email that was :"You cannot do that" and two sellers cancelled orders. This is not a business; it is a popularity contest and if sellers perceive a buyer is not to their liking, the buyer is screened out.

michaelp340
9/13/17

Ordered a birthday present at etsy.com, vendor MunchkinsNPumpkinsUK.

Time between order and delivery was 24 days (birthday present, which obviously didn't arrive in time). Vendor aggressively defending herself by pointing to all kind of vague conditions. Customer is stupid. Very customer unfriendly and delivery time of the 19th century. Paid 15 euro deliery cost for a product of 20 euro and had to wait for 24 days (shipping from UK to NL) !? Unreal. Never returning here again. P.S. And now I got reported for review extortion and abuse. Another example how seller is treating customers. Have no words left.... Totally flabbergasted.

jos7845
9/12/17

I am just glad that I have read other reviews before going any further with Etsy as a platform to expand my business and creating that dependency on them.
My experience- I just opened an account with Etsy and messaged some potential clients introducing our Business and the services that we offer.
After sending 5 odd messages Etsy blocked my messenger and restricted me from sending anymore messages. I initially thought it may just be their policy that doesnt allow more than 5 messages per day, hence tried again and the messenger is still blocked. Not sure what is Etsy are so insecure about??
After reading their unprofessional behavior towards other members who have been with them 3-5 yrs, I doubt their customer service will ever bother to address my query and hence I cant be bother either.
They promise to make a Bird fly by giving her wings and then tying off the wings just so that bird can only fly at Etsys will!
They want to dictate everything in your business, whom your business should and shouldnt be introduced and control it. For me personally, its like restricting my progression further.
Thanks to other members for their reviews, you have just saved me lot of time & energy that I could invest elsewhere to expand my business further. Never would never want to work with unprofessional ppl again!

cassiem18
9/11/17

I could seriously spend hours browsing all the cool handmade and vintage items on Etsy. I can't speak from the seller's perspective, but as a buyer, your experience all depends on whether you order from an honest and professional seller. So far, I've only had one bad experience, which involved an unresponsive seller and an undelivered item. I opened a case, and Etsy's customer service gave me a full refund within a week.

913 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Check the reviews, and Google the seller. Also, are the reviews written in good english? Does it seem fake? Check pictures from the buyers.

By Johanna v.

I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!

By Tracy Q.

I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.

By Behzad G.

I agree with Steve J on this one. A lot of sellers on Etsy work from home in the evenings for extra money. Most of them are not big businesses with massive inventories so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Give them a little more time and if they dont send it out then file a case with etsy

By Peeved O.

Business checking isn't necessary (the banks now charge a monthly fee for a small business checking). You can pretty much set up a regular checking account

By A S.

If you do, I would be cautious about ordering from international sellers, use a credit card in case you need to contest the charges, and do NOT expect ETSY do a thing if you get ripped off. They are useless and could care less once the sale is final.

By jean w.

I am no sure why this would be the case. I have only paid through paypal and have never been asked personal financial information beyond paypal. It is odd that you have experienced this issue. What personal financial information have you been asked to divulge?

By Nancy M.

The best and quickest thing to do is to email the seller and let them know that you would like to return for a refund.

By Shirley M.

Yes, it certainly is. I've also been selling for many years, never had a problem. Using PayPal is great if you ever should have a problem, as you're protected in the event of theft. If you were hacked somehow would be the only way it would be a concern for me, so I am careful about using good passwords and changing them often (Etsy password) I would not worry about the safety of Etsy direct at all.

By Jodi H.

Read the reviews!

By Richyl H.
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other customers.

Etsy?