Review of Debenhams

Tel: +44207 387 8723
contact.int@debenhams.com

caroh2
1/12/19

Long story short, I ordered $272 worth of shirts and then was charged an additional $120 for "shipping" which is insane and was never communicated with me before purchase (otherwise I never would have bought that). Anyway, then I went to Debenhams to get a refund and they said they had already issued it, but I didnt receive it, so I reached out again and they told me they not only had never actually issued the refund but also were not going to either, they were just hoping I'd forget about $120?!
Anyway, suuuuuper sketchy, dont order from them unless you want to lose some $$
Ps. Their customer service is actually the worst I've ever seen.

pauln228
1/4/19

Custom fees are a given if you are buying internationally - fine. However my issue is their delivery process uses this scammer company called 'EZclear' who are basically a customs 'agent' or other words a bunch of chancers who exploit and hijack parcels until you cough up their ridiculous 'admin' and custom fees. Usually this is done through the delivery company (DHL / UPS / Canada Post etc.) - so why is this so different?
To cut a story short - Debenhams provided the incorrect item amount to customs and was subsequently overcharged on the custom fees (almost double) the item price. When following up to all concerned no one wanted to take responsibility and sort it so I went back to Debenhams and their customer services couldn't care less - their responses are generic, don't bother reading your emails properly/following up - give you some rubbish responses like 'due to security risk we can't forward invoices to other emails'. They knocked up a revised invoice in about 2 mins which was still wrong and asked me to sort it myself by going to the local customs office which isn't possible as it's in the middle of nowhere and no guarantee it would even work. I don't know how many times I explained what the issue was and got a generic copy paste response that 'custom fees are responsibility of customer etc.' and was blatantly clear they hadn't read the emails at all. Why should I have to keep following up if I'm the customer?!
M&S are able to charge $5 (duty delivered paid) international delivery that includes custom fees! Debenhams is almost 3x that excludes customs!
Won't be ordering again until this drastically improves - disgraceful 'service'.

elaynef2
8/25/18

Do not buy gift cards or allow them to refund money onto Gift cards. In my case they refunded money onto a giftcard and I did not tell me that the money had to be spent within a limited period of time. When I went to use the card they told me it had expired. The store assistant failed to inform me of this. She could have refunded me cash but did not. This is a terrible failing on their part and it feels dishonest, a measure that allows them to keep hundreds of thousands of their customers money for nothing. In my case they have kept 90 euro of my money, effectively a days work! without my consent. I feel as if they have stolen it from me.

moiras6
7/31/18

Worst company for online ordering. I ordered a tankini top online, having already bought the matching bottoms in my local store. I used the in store online ordering service, with the help of an assistant. When it arrived a few days later, not only was it not a tankini size 14, it was a swimming costume, size 10, with tummy control. It was not even the same fabric or colour. The invoice in the parcel was for the item ordered. When I tried to order the tankini again, it was out of stock. So, not only do I not have my tankini, I have a pair of bikini bottoms which are not no use to me whatsover. Apparently, their online site isn't 'live', so just because it says the item is available, it doesn't mean it is.

andyc129
2/8/18

I always buy the same shirts. Went to buy 3 new shirts only to find that I couldn't even get the ends to meet let alone do the shirt up. This despite being the same brand, same label stating exactly the same measurements. Clothes are getting smaller, fair enough, but don't keep the labels the same as this is obviously misleading people. I wont shop in Debenhams again.

robertn125
12/14/17

I ordered a laptop for £1500 from them, booked the day off work to receive it, then 22 hours before it was due to be delivered, they cancelled the order saying it was 'unavailable' - except it was available, they had just INCREASED the price by £410. Despite this I had everything organised and time was running out to get it before Christmas (this was the 9th), they ignored every e-mail I sent, I was unable to contact them using their live chat system either.

I know what you're thinking, "So don't shop at Debenhams then, get it somewhere else" - but they have taken payment in full, despite cancelling my order haven't refunded it back to by card - I'm actually having to go to the bank and declare it a fraudulent transaction in the hope of getting my money back and I don't have a spare £1500 just lying around, but now it'll be too late to get delivery before Christmas.

Don't risk having your day ruined, avoid Debenhams at all costs.

lynnw63
6/13/17

Just received my order from Debenhams. I had it shipped to Canada and had to pay $67 customs charges!! This was just for one item costing $133. More than 50% extra. Sorry Debenhams wont be ordering again!!!

jodies37
5/19/17

Worst customer service experience of my life, catalogue of errors from numerous customer service people including being rude to me, calling me off unmonitored numbers to cover for their colleges & then not actioning promises about refunds or gestures of good will, still waiting for a £15 refund from over 3 months a go despite chasing & supplying bank statements over & over. Following it up out of the principle of how they seem to be running their business & training their staff. Company clearly must be in trouble as they don't know what's going on internally. Stopped spending with them until I got my refund back they've launched a 3 month investigation into & still can't solve but seem to expect me to say it's okay. From my calculations they've lost £2,000 already having just moved house I will never use this brand again. Feel free to comment or reply not stopping this until I get an apology in writing plus my money back. Jodie

neilo13
4/17/17

Website says £10 off £50 spend but T&C's, accessible only after ordering reveals money off is only via Complete Savings subscription scheme costing £15 per month!
This is totally misleading and, in my opinion, nothing short of a 'scam'. Be warned. Debenhams are happy to mislead you.

eonf
1/20/17

I've ordered from Debenhams a few times. The quality is generally very good. The deliveries are easy to book, and usually prompt and they now notify you if delivery will be in separate packages. There are two issues which make me hesitate to order from here: 1) The size guides for some products are not correct especially for simple sizing methods (S, M, L, etc) meaning returns and re-orders. 2) The manufacturer, style or size is subject to change at any time, so what appear to be the same items (in a different colour for example) ordered a few weeks or months apart from each other can vary wildly. You can see that at times they have seemingly identical products on the website with different stock levels and order numbers as they phase one out. Certain items seem to be constantly low in stock in certain sizes. The in store experience can be disappointing and ultimately you'll find more stock online.

kcf2
5/29/16

Wish we had read the customer reviews before purchasing with Debenhams (but thought this is a large well know company; how wrong we were). Ordered online, and fortunately we purchased with the security of Paypal. First part of the order turned up but short in quantity. Did the right thing and immediately notified Debenham 'Customer Service'. They advised to wait for the balance of the order, a different product. In due course the other product turned up but again short in quantity. Advised Debenham 'Customer Service' and the merry-go-round of acknowledging then refusing our request began. We tried very hard to negotiate with them but to no avail. We soon realised their method of dealing with disputes appeared to be a well worn ploy and finally most people would give up in disgust at the waste of time and deceitful behaviour. We went straight to our 'insurance' Paypal with all the facts. Cannot recommend them highly enough; they didn't waste time and got straight down to trying to liaise with Debenhams. Now you could doubt our story however when Paypal didn't hear back from Debenham within 10 working days, what does that say to a prospective honest buyer?

branp
2/22/16

i brought some joggers from Debenhams which were described as 100% cotton. when i got they they were shoddy quality and 57% polyester. when i contacted customer service, they really seemed as if they could care less, and did not seem to appreciate that they had breached advertising standards and just told me if i don't like it return it, without any apology for misleading advertising or the hassle it caused me, to have to go through the return process for a mistake i did not make. when i left a review on their website saying that the item was not as described and saying how unimpressed i was with their customer service, they simply deleted my review. this is how unscrupulous Debenhams are!!!! i would advice caution to anyone wanting to buy any product or item from Debenhams.

tims103
1/1/16

They refused to resend a replacement for losing my order in the delivery process.
Was not offered any compensation for this failure of service.
On top of this the communication was robotic and disinterested.
A decent remedy would have been to refund and resend but they couldn't care less.
I would strongly avoid if you don't like being treated like a number.

lyndis
6/28/15

I had a embarrassing issue involving a debenhams store card application. Before you read this review might I state my credit score is near perfect at 999 out of 1000.

I was offered a store card by A debenhams employee who said if I apply today Id get 10% off. I already have a debenhams store card but she told me as its old I should reapply. I did so and proceeded to fill in an agonisingly long form which meant I had a que behind me. I told her I had moved addressed several times but she told me to just say i have lived at my previous address for 5 years cause that's what they want to hear. Embarrassingly in front of many people My application was rejected.

I am a member of experian so immediately checked my credit score again. Nothing has changed, I have never missed any payments. My credit score is excellent at 999 out of 1000 I am a home owner and have recently paid of finance on after 6 year loan and again never missed a payment. So my borrowing ratio to income has gone down. I am a teacher and earn nearly 30k a year. I was sent an email with a letter attached to the email explaining why I had been rejected. It certainly did not apply to me, especially stating insultingly that, I need to manage debt and keep up to date with payments, which clearly is not the case as my credit score us 999 nearly perfect.

If someone like me with a squeaky clean credit file can't get credit with debenhams Then who can? Or do debenhams need to ensure that there sales representatives know what information is needed in order to complete a card application accurately to ensure all the important information is entered into the system.

I was very embarrassed about being rejected and it has seriously put me off shopping at debenhams. I am getting married in 3 months and was going to consider using debenhams for our wedding but this experience has really put me off.
I would be very grateful if someone could explain to me why I have been rejected with A perfect squeaky clean credit score, or if it was indeed the fault of the sales representative?
Thank you for taking the time to read this

dermoth
2/16/13

Really fast delivery.

brigetted
1/15/13

Ever since purchasing a few of their Lipsy and Warehouse brand dresses from the Debenham's store on Oxford in London a few yrs ago, I checked out their website and decided to order a few items online. Prompt, well-packaged shipment with and the parcel arrived with no customs duties fees which was great.

harinderg
11/25/11

Easy to shop and prompt delivery. The only negative is that they don't have a 'this is a gift' option which would be great.

lesleye
5/25/11

I love Debenhams. We don't have one where i live so i shop online instead. They do some great offers and often offer 70% off in their sales. The quality of clothes and home ware is really good.
They very often have free postage weeks so it's worth holding on before buying something or just scour the internet for a free postage code.
Goods always arrive promptly and once arrived the next morning after i ordered at 10pm the night before!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Debenhams staff and other customers.

3 Photos for Debenhams