Coursera

Coursera has a consumer rating of 2.97 stars from 47 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Coursera most frequently mention free trial problems. Coursera ranks 51st among Education Other sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 26.7%
How would you rate Coursera?

“Love the courses!”

Niel M.
3/11/20

I took about 30 courses from this site and all of them were well made and educational. As they say - stay hungry, stay curious!

“Total scam! Be Aware!”

Gabriela A.
9/19/20

Dont enrol with them and specially not For the free trials. I tried to cancel in my free trial period and is just imposible! Is writen there they will charge me after free trial is over 49 $, and if I want to cancel I simply cannot because is saying I do not have any subscriptions! What imposters! I see so many ppl complain, is there really nobody to check on them why they doing this?

gabrielaa62
September 19th, 2020
Dont enrol with them and specially not
What imposters!
texasr6
October 4th, 2020
I've been trying to use this site and there's no help from a human anywhere. Try posting the forum and they have installed some sort of uber-autocorrect that literally takes your plain english and turns it into garbage (kind of like their site!). If you have a problem with a course then there's no help from the teacher or TAs because this is a 12K person class haha. And no help from coursera. SCAM.
piseeda
March 15th, 2020
Advertisement claimed free month, nope free week and then BAM $50 charge. Certificates are a joke to potential employers.
kevinb1461
September 7th, 2020
They took $400 from me and I got nothing. No course, no opportunity for a refund.
They are bandits and have no conscious about there actions. Don't enroll with them.
I say this with all sincerity and I never do complaint reviews. The are bad.
pr75
January 5th, 2020
I'm a verified user on Coursera and have been paying the monthly subscription fee. I've used Coursera for years, since it's inception. It was not bad at first, pretty good really. But, the changes implemented to the platform over 2018/2019 are turning it into a profit driven scam machine. A couple of months ago they sent me a classic bait and switch survey email that is common to Craigslist scams; you answer some questions to see if you "qualify" to take the survey for some reward, but the questions you're answering ARE the FU@$! NG survey. And then, a couple days ago Coursera puts up a stonewall front page to their site with new "privacy" terms whereby you can either agree to allow them to sell your info to third parties, or you can delete your account completely losing all work that you've paid for in time and money. It's extortion. They're holding your work and records for ransom until you pay through personal exploitation. Their customer service exists, and eventually may respond by email, but it's slow and curt if they ever get back to you. As to the quality of the platform, the interface for the platform has become more streamlined, while the content has become more watered down. Better off going to Edx, or some other platform that hasn't been transformed to a scam.
maryb426
April 15th, 2017
I am surprised no one mentions the fear of identity theft by Coursera. They want my government issued I.D. with photograph (drivers license or passport and date of birth, address). Heck they could possibly apply for credit cards in my name with all that information. How do I know Coursera is safe?
Also, I cannot find any courses that are FREE. 7 day trial period is free but all courses last more than 1 month. $79 a month is the rate I have been given.
kenw261
January 21st, 2020
I am sorry to observe that the Coursera program is not user friendly. I find that I must go through 6 to 8 Recaptcha questions to access my account. If I want to log into a class four to five time a day to study, I'll be wasting too much time.

I am surprised that as an educational institution, the company does not evaluated the effects that Recaptcha and its process has on people, their time, and their intellect. Take a look at what other website are using. Goodreads for example, asks people to select all "cookbooks" from a variety of books. A simple, non-insulting, one-page solution with a sense of humor.

In addition, Coursera doesn't have a help line or way to contact the organization.

Offering online classes at a reasonable price is a great service. I'll revisit the site again in the future to see if I find improvements.

robertb2811
February 25th, 2020
This a waste of time and money in using this "Trump University" type education site. They offer you a "free" trial, that is billed after 7 days, and is continued to be billed monthly, unless you cancel your subscription.

I took a course in "Memoir Writing" that consisted on watching a Wesleyan University visiting professor give somewhat useful advice, along with weekly assignments. The assignments were somewhat useful and supposed to be "peer reviewed." I received zero feedback the entire course on my submitted assignments that I put time and effort into! This site somehow cons Universities into participating. I would only recommend this site if you want to learn some skills for an inexpensive fee, but keep track of your subscription status! You will be automatically be billed unless you cancel! Confirm the cancelation! Good luck.

To their credit, they gave me a refund, in spite of the refund deadline being passed! I wasn't expecting one but already got the refund.
nielm3
March 11th, 2020
quynht4
June 21st, 2020
I enrolled in their 'free' trials for 7 days because my stupid company wanted us to take the 'writing emails in English professionally' and already canceled right after I finished the course, which is in 2 days. I even saw an advertisement of 50% discount if I was to continue anyway. But still a month later I was charged 49$ for the 'monthly fee' to which I'm 100% sure that I've already canceled.

I tried to go to their Help center and as you know, they weren't really helpful and it only got more frustrating as they say that any subscription made after the free trials is 'non-refundable'. I was stressed out so I don't really remember how many links I had to click to get to the chat box, in which I typed in my problem and asked for my refund. I was sent an email from their help desk, which even had a name and seemed the most likely to be a real person. In the email this person said that they've already issued a refund for my case and that my refund will be returned in the original form of payment in 3-5 days depending on my bank.

Just to make sure, I logged in to my Coursera account on laptop and try to cancel any 'subscription' that is still active, I found none. So I just deleted my credit card to stop them from ever charging me again. I'm still waiting for my refund tho.
aleksandrl9
January 26th, 2020
Complete fraud. Just enrolled to free python course from google, after some time they just cut from my paypal 37£
martoj
January 2nd, 2018
I got two courses from them and the third one was fiasco. The first two were OK but the third one which was Python for beginners and was supposed to be free for one week I wasn't able to take due to some circumstances. However, when the free access expired they charged me without any notice, even after I intentionally asked them to cancel it. According to them the cancellation didn't work because I miss the exact timing with half an hour. Well guys I am on the other side of the planet, I've been your customer for more than an year and you are not able to make an exemption. Already spend several hundred dollars on your courses and for appreciation you busting me with another 70 bucks? Thanks! This of course made me regret using their services and automatically made me flee of them.
hansf36
December 2nd, 2020
I really enjoyed two courses (management and business). But another (programming) course was very, very long. Overall a good experience!
staceyb30
May 1st, 2015
I like Coursera but I feel it would be fair to warn people of my mistake and that was to pay for a signature track in full in advance months ahead.

Problem 1.
Didn't like 3 of 4 of the professors for the course. They were dull and stood in front of Powerpoint presentation blue screen with white letters and talked in the most monotone voice: |. I tried to suffered through it for a week but then removed myself from that course session. I was like maybe its just that one nope the following two were the same. So I was like I can't take this I would rather move over to another track then deal with this. Simple right? Wrong. Being that I paid in advance I couldn't get a refund. But I didn't want a refund I just wanted to move over to a different signature track even if I had to pay for the additional courses of the track. Mind you the average signature track is about $250 for four courses and the capstone project. All $49 each. 1 thing I hate is there is no phone number to talk to someone because clearly understanding what your saying in a support email doesn't work. So 1 out of the 4 courses I liked because the professor was more engaging then the others. For my $250 I got a voucher for 1 specialization course (valued@ $49) to replace the three I didn't want and the capstone (Valued@ $200). That was suppose to be acceptable because I was past the refund stage because I paied 6 months before the course even started. So best word of advance don't pay in advance register for free evaluate for a week then if you feeling the course pay for it. No matter how much they say this price won't last do not I mean do not pay in advance. Because also they say you get 2 years to take the course over if you pass the first time only problem is the clock starts when you pay not when the course starts.

But besides that you can find so interesting courses.
rons747
May 28th, 2020
Thanks Coursera for lots of free courses, You helped to not waste quarantine entirely. Please, we need more free courses
jinb9
May 2nd, 2020
Was charged £64 for a supposedly free course that I didnt even take.
They say Enroll for free but in reality charge you
aseelf
November 3rd, 2020
It's realy good service, lots of courses to choose from, some are free and the other are you have to paid even you can take it for free as i do, whitch you can find some course even without spending money which is really good
thaiso1
July 25th, 2019
I realized that Coursera has been charging me for 2 months a subscription I NEVER did. So, I guess it was one of those "free trial"things. The problem is that they do not avail on their website a place to cancel. They forward you to a page that tells you to go to "My Purchases" and "under Subscription tag" ask to cancel subscription. When I hit it, it says "No purchases found in your history". Nevertheless, they've just charged $ 49.00 for the THIRD TIME! And don't try to call. They don't answer.
alexeyy6
November 12th, 2019
No way to reach their support - no email, no phone. Only KB saying "you can NOT get refund". Now in my October's statement i see charges for the course i've completed in July. I'm reporting them to my bank asking to cancel transactions.
maround
March 1st, 2019
They use deceit and hidden cost to trap you into recurrent monthly charges. The worst part is that they have no call center or email for complaints. This is not acceptable
jeffl250
April 17th, 2019
I have taken 8 courses on this platform and learned quite a bit.
The courses I took were

Useful Genetics Part 1 & 2
The University of British Columbia

Marriage and the Movies: A History
Wesleyan University

Loved all these class and learned quite a bit.
Highly recommend this.
emilyl136
October 18th, 2018
This is by far the worst online class I have ever taken. My answers were never able to submit, the issues never were resolved, I'm two weeks behind, and now on top of everything they won't refund me. No call center, the chat support bots never got back to me with a human and I am ultimately very frustrated and dissatisfied. If one of coursera's classes is somehow your last class until you graduate like me, I highly recommend not wasting an ounce of your money or time on this poorly ran online pile of rubbish.
marciliom
March 12th, 2019
I enrolled in the computer vision course and was very disappointed with Coursera.
There were several problems where I mention the 3 main ones:
1) The content of classes very shallow;
2) An almost complete lack of relation between the contents of the classes and the tests; and finally,
3) No pedagogical support, or communication channel, e-mail, chat, absolutely nothing.

Summary of my impression: I felt myself studying alone, reading a vague material, and experiencing tests that could not be solved based on class.

It is a 5-week course, and I noticed from the drastic drop in participation in the forums that the students, like me, are giving up after the second week.
jamess1349
October 11th, 2018
Enlisted to a few free courses and they were pretty good. Haven't tried the premium subscription yet but I like the idea of letting people use basic course materials for free.

Will update this after testing the paid subscription.
davidf323
March 14th, 2018
Didn't have time for their course: they were too inflexible on the schedule so I couldn't keep up (full time jobs and 2 kids). They kept charging me I finally found out but they refused to reimburse then I canceled. The very next month they've charged me again. I have them flagged at my credit card now. No way to talk to a real person.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Coursera staff and other customers.

2000+ courses from schools like Stanford and Yale - no application required. Build career skills in data science, computer science, business, and more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera?

Have a question about Coursera?