Coursera

Coursera has a consumer rating of 2.36 stars from 56 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Coursera most frequently mention free trial, credit card and customer service problems. Coursera ranks 191st among Education Other sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 18.2%
How would you rate Coursera?

“Love the courses!”

Niel M.
3/11/20

I took about 30 courses from this site and all of them were well made and educational. As they say - stay hungry, stay curious!

“Language section only from communist countries”

Anna J.
6/12/21

Learning languages section: Chinese and Russian. Are you serious? Funny thing is learning Russian was requirement when the USSR was trying to take over Poland when my mom was going to school and they just wont let up. Sadly it is very obvious that the only languages they offer are from communist countries... and of course they are located in Mountain View. Just another faulty internat company destroying the area I grew up in.

annaj539
June 12th, 2021

nielm3
March 11th, 2020

cathalc13
July 24th, 2021
Verified purchase

Got redirected to the coursera site from microsoft cloud certification site. Despite the course tag being 'Enroll Free' there was a convoluted sign up that asks for your Credit Card details all with the intention for you to sign up for 1 month and forget to cancel, which I did. The 'free' course cost be 60 Dollars, its little more than a way of getting a month's subscription for you. Even the course is poor - all videos, no grahpical explanations, DON'T BOTHER WITH IT.

Microsoft Cloud Certification Course

aseelf
November 3rd, 2020

It's realy good service, lots of courses to choose from, some are free and the other are you have to paid even you can take it for free as i do, whitch you can find some course even without spending money which is really good

gabrielaa62
September 19th, 2020

Dont enrol with them and specially not
For the free trials. I tried to cancel in my free trial period and is just imposible! Is writen there they will charge me after free trial is over 49 $, and if I want to cancel I simply cannot because is saying I do not have any subscriptions!
What imposters!
I see so many ppl complain, is there really nobody to check on them why they doing this?

jeffl250
April 17th, 2019

I have taken 8 courses on this platform and learned quite a bit.
The courses I took were

Useful Genetics Part 1 & 2
The University of British Columbia

Marriage and the Movies: A History
Wesleyan University

Loved all these class and learned quite a bit.
Highly recommend this.

fernandos138
March 7th, 2021

I signed up for the It certificate program I completed the first one course and completed the 2nd course however, according to them it said I failed when I know I passed, I even took screenshots showing that I passed but on their end it automatically shows that you failed it's a major well known bug that prevents you from getting your certificate and their is no help, no email support and no chat support, only useless forums. Complete waste of time

timt513
February 26th, 2021

I have an unauthorized charge for $49 from Coursera on my credit card today (Feb-26,2021). I took a free trial of 7 days from Coursera but to my surprise they charged me hefty amount after the trial ended without giving any notification. Problem date: Feb-26,2021 Order Number: #118130134

They didn't texted, emailed nothing. Each and every individual holds a right to inform before such actions are being taken. This is just not the way of earning money.

I spent almost 1 hour to read through its help and would expect to find a way to contact them, but it appears they hide them very well. No hot line, no contact number, no place to submit ticket, no email to submit complaint...

Let's speak out this kind of hegemonism and Cheating!

Tip for consumers:
Coursera cheats you by 7 days trial, and then will charge you $49 after trial without any notification and your agreement!!!

online course

texasr6
October 4th, 2020

I've been trying to use this site and there's no help from a human anywhere. Try posting the forum and they have installed some sort of uber-autocorrect that literally takes your plain english and turns it into garbage (kind of like their site!). If you have a problem with a course then there's no help from the teacher or TAs because this is a 12K person class haha. And no help from coursera. SCAM.

piseeda
March 15th, 2020

Advertisement claimed free month, nope free week and then BAM $50 charge. Certificates are a joke to potential employers.

robertb2811
February 25th, 2020

This a waste of time and money in using this "Trump University" type education site. They offer you a "free" trial, that is billed after 7 days, and is continued to be billed monthly, unless you cancel your subscription.

I took a course in "Memoir Writing" that consisted on watching a Wesleyan University visiting professor give somewhat useful advice, along with weekly assignments. The assignments were somewhat useful and supposed to be "peer reviewed." I received zero feedback the entire course on my submitted assignments that I put time and effort into! This site somehow cons Universities into participating. I would only recommend this site if you want to learn some skills for an inexpensive fee, but keep track of your subscription status! You will be automatically be billed unless you cancel! Confirm the cancelation! Good luck.

To their credit, they gave me a refund, in spite of the refund deadline being passed! I wasn't expecting one but already got the refund.

kevinb1461
September 7th, 2020

They took $400 from me and I got nothing. No course, no opportunity for a refund.
They are bandits and have no conscious about there actions. Don't enroll with them.
I say this with all sincerity and I never do complaint reviews. The are bad.

amandar131
September 13th, 2017

Choose at least 1 new course each three months. To save, I prefer free online courses. I do not need actually any certificates. Knowledge is what means the most for me.

Recommend using this place if you want to upgrade your knowledge in any of the spheres, do it for free, and also to find friends from all over the world.

Tip for consumers:
Do the tasls regularly. Otherwise you procrastination will let you down and you can give up the course forever.

pr75
January 5th, 2020

I'm a verified user on Coursera and have been paying the monthly subscription fee. I've used Coursera for years, since it's inception. It was not bad at first, pretty good really. But, the changes implemented to the platform over 2018/2019 are turning it into a profit driven scam machine. A couple of months ago they sent me a classic bait and switch survey email that is common to Craigslist scams; you answer some questions to see if you "qualify" to take the survey for some reward, but the questions you're answering ARE the FU@$! NG survey. And then, a couple days ago Coursera puts up a stonewall front page to their site with new "privacy" terms whereby you can either agree to allow them to sell your info to third parties, or you can delete your account completely losing all work that you've paid for in time and money. It's extortion. They're holding your work and records for ransom until you pay through personal exploitation. Their customer service exists, and eventually may respond by email, but it's slow and curt if they ever get back to you. As to the quality of the platform, the interface for the platform has become more streamlined, while the content has become more watered down. Better off going to Edx, or some other platform that hasn't been transformed to a scam.

tkp3
May 29th, 2021

This company is a joke. I contacted support right away when my mouse accidentally clicked on the subscribe button. But they told me "Be advised that you can try it and come back before 14days and they will unenroll me and return the enrollment". So I tried and find out the course is just under 20 lines of codes session for total complete newbie which i can find thousand better on the internet. And then when I contacted support again for unenrollment they said " We can not do that because you completed the course" Wow! Totally bulls***. The support really "Understand your concern"

Tip for consumers:
Why do you use it? The platform is a joke. Support is racist but they "Understand your concern". Their lobby video is stupid and their virtual machine view take 10seconds to respond to your mouse scroll. Courses took 10 mins to complete and you are still a complete newbie. Waste of time and money and a lot more time. Try Udemy or YouTube which is FREE

Course and support

kenw261
January 21st, 2020

I am sorry to observe that the Coursera program is not user friendly. I find that I must go through 6 to 8 Recaptcha questions to access my account. If I want to log into a class four to five time a day to study, I'll be wasting too much time.

I am surprised that as an educational institution, the company does not evaluated the effects that Recaptcha and its process has on people, their time, and their intellect. Take a look at what other website are using. Goodreads for example, asks people to select all "cookbooks" from a variety of books. A simple, non-insulting, one-page solution with a sense of humor.

In addition, Coursera doesn't have a help line or way to contact the organization.

Offering online classes at a reasonable price is a great service. I'll revisit the site again in the future to see if I find improvements.

aleksandrl9
January 26th, 2020

Complete fraud. Just enrolled to free python course from google, after some time they just cut from my paypal 37£

josephr1288
June 27th, 2021

Spent a week doing a course to finish within the free trial period and earn a certificate. Got to the very very last step where I submitted my essay and had to peer review 3 other essays. When it came to the last and final 3rd essay to peer review, the message came 'there are no submissions for your to review at this moment'. With an hour to go until free trial ended I had no time to wait and have since cancelled my subscription and deleted my profile.
Any future business you may have got from me has evaporated and I'll make sure to let everyone in my circle know what a huge harem of scammers you are.

maryb426
April 15th, 2017

I am surprised no one mentions the fear of identity theft by Coursera. They want my government issued I.D. with photograph (drivers license or passport and date of birth, address). Heck they could possibly apply for credit cards in my name with all that information. How do I know Coursera is safe?
Also, I cannot find any courses that are FREE. 7 day trial period is free but all courses last more than 1 month. $79 a month is the rate I have been given.

valentinab47
July 14th, 2021

I wish I could give zero stars to this just only cause of the awful customer service. I had a subscription for a very reasonable price which I couldn't keep to use cause I failed to have the funds ready at them right time; even tho I contacted them 4 times about the matter and they assured me that the system would charge me before the date my account would expire it didn't happen; they suggested to resubscribe at almost double the price. Contacted customer service for email and been dealing with 4 different people that couldn't be bothered to read any of my email where explained 4 times what was the matter. The courses may be good but man they have no clue of what customer service is!

frank55
September 18th, 2021

I canceled the course during 7 free trial, they still charged me without notified which they are not supposed to charge at all, but still not refund as they promised.

jinb9
May 2nd, 2020

Was charged £64 for a supposedly free course that I didnt even take.
They say Enroll for free but in reality charge you

thaiso1
July 25th, 2019

I realized that Coursera has been charging me for 2 months a subscription I NEVER did. So, I guess it was one of those "free trial"things. The problem is that they do not avail on their website a place to cancel. They forward you to a page that tells you to go to "My Purchases" and "under Subscription tag" ask to cancel subscription. When I hit it, it says "No purchases found in your history". Nevertheless, they've just charged $ 49.00 for the THIRD TIME! And don't try to call. They don't answer.

jasonb642
December 27th, 2018

Very good service, lots of courses to choose from, some are even free so you can find something even without spending money which is really good when looking for new job.

tarap98
June 8th, 2021

3/27-signed up for Coursera and applied for financial aid
4/10-FA app approved. Prompted to verify my ID
4/11-attempted 64 times with different phones, tablets, PC to verify ID in daylight, inside light, LED light, etc FAILED-contacted support (ticket 2737097)-nothing they can do I must keep trying.
5/19-trying again to verify my ID. Tried dozens of times, even when on live Chat Help (ticket 2795238). FAILED.
5/19-Carrie, from Coursera, advised me to send a picture of the errors I encountered, and I sent them. Carrie then advised me "I was investigating on my end and it appears the issue you are experiencing is already a known problem on our end. Currently, I have reported the issue you are experiencing with the ID verification to our engineering team and they will be working as fast as possible to have this matter resolved." then she assured me "In this case, we have escalated the issue to our support team. They will be helping us to manually approve your ID verification. Please, give us a few more days to complete this verification for you."
6/8, today-account still not verified and I am still unable to ID verify.

Is the problem Persona? Is the problem Coursera? I have no idea but I know the customer service fails are Coursera (I have yet to find a CS number for Persona). I waited to write this review to ensure that Coursera had enough time to act in good faith IF THEY HAD ANY intentions of doing so. FAILED.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Coursera staff and other customers.

2000+ courses from schools like Stanford and Yale - no application required. Build career skills in data science, computer science, business, and more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera?

Have a question about Coursera?