CollegeBoard.org

CollegeBoard.org has a consumer rating of 2.23 stars from 15 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. CollegeBoard.org also ranks 60th among Test Preparation sites. The most common issues with CollegeBoard.org are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Here's the story: I was signing up for another test date shortly after taking my exams as scheduled.
  • At that point, the customer service rep acknowledged the previous complaint and reference number.
How would you rate CollegeBoard.org?

“Easy and overall great experience”

Mason V.
3/23/20

I had to register for a new test date since COVID19 cancelled mine. Despite them probably having many people probably trying to reregister, the wait time was much much shorter than I expected. The man who helped me was able to change my test date quickly and without any hassle. It was much easier than I thought it would be and much quicker too.

“Dumb agents who don't understand English.”

Mike S.
1/2/20

Dumb agents who don't understand English. Calling in to the College Board is a miserable experience. The off-shore agents can't speak nor understand English. They have a high school education level and are unprofessional. Ask for a supervisor and they won't honor your request. They will hang up on you. College board management, SHAME ON YOU! UNPROFESSIONAL FOOLS!

test date (3) customer service (5) test day (3)
mikes2148
January 2nd, 2020
College board management, SHAME ON YOU!
UNPROFESSIONAL FOOLS!
jackr289
October 30th, 2019
If you only speak English and hope to be able to communicate with their customer service in English - forget it. I spent 20+ minutes on hold followed by a 20+ minute "discussion" with a representative. I put the word "discussion" in quotes because I could only understand about one out of every ten words he spoke. After repeated requests to speak to a supervisor, he said he was going to put me on hold and transfer me to a supervisor. He proceeded to hang up on me. Worst customer service ever.
denisel237
November 21st, 2019
I applied for a job with the College Board. After a few rounds I was told I was still in the running and that an extended interview was being scheduled. After being ghosted I was then told the position had been filled. Clearly the managing team does not have their ducks in a row. Seems like a very disjointed operation.
erins205
October 30th, 2019
I called three times to enquire about SAT subject test information (about changing the listening test that my child has previously registered) and each time I got a different answer. One of them told me I can change the subject test on the test date itself, even after I told him it was a language test with listening. Another said I cannot due to their policy. The third said I can try asking the Proctor on the test day itself to see if I could change to take another listening test. And then one told me the deadline to make changes was 28 October and the other told me the deadline was 22 October (test date is 2 Nov). The last one was worst, she just hang up on me :(((( Ended up I missed the deadline because of the misinformation and I can't change now. Horrible! horrible! horrible!
fuckyouc
October 9th, 2019
Throughout my 4 years of high school ( currently in my 4th as a senior) i have always genuinely hated college board. They're system is an absolute scam! I've never worked with such money hungry, greedy, filthy people than those at college board. It's clear as day that they don't actually care about students or even education at all. Their sole purpose is to suck money out of oblivious students and parents. The worst part of this sham is that they're continuously allowed to do what they do. HOW DOES THE GOVERNMENT ENDORSE PRIVATE SCAM BUSINESSES? Seriously, I pray with my whole heart that this organization gets shut down, they are evil horrible people.
masonv14
March 23rd, 2020
hbr1
December 5th, 2018
I have had to deal with College Board on several occasions and each one has been equally unhelpful. When I have called, customer service has been rude or cannot answer my questions. Emails have generally also not addressed my concerns fully. I will be extremely grateful when I am no longer forced to deal with them. It is unfortunate that they are the ones dealing with so many parent and students at such a critical juncture. I have only had terrible experiences with them.
traisk
October 19th, 2018
The test results for the Oct 8 exam were promised to be released today., October 19th. Now the website says "Your Score Is Pending
We apologize but your score is still being processed. You should get your score within a week; you'll get an email when your score is available.
If you still don't see your score more than three weeks after test day, contact Customer Service at *******346."

Don't they realize people make plans based on these dates? This is so unprofessional to say the least. I am so frustrated.
sarao44
September 16th, 2019
Now College Board has moved the AP test registration deadline from March to November to make even more money... because $1.2B is not quite enough! Parents found out today that they have to shell out $400 four months earlier than planned for AP tests. Kids will also have to commit to an expensive exam without being certain it is even worthwhile. These tests are a scam anyway. My son had 40 AP credits, or as I like to think of it, a $1000 investment. He should have entered college as a second-semester sophomore, but the reality is that these credits have no real impact on the number of years spent in college. They still have to take all of the courses vital to their major, and fulfill all of the prerequisites for their higher-level courses. If this year has taught us anything, it is that higher learning has become one big pay-to-play scandal. Shame on you for being part of the problem.
bethp111
August 13th, 2019
43 to get scores from just over a year ago sent to a college?? ridiculous! I couldn't afford to pay for rush so I'm not sure my son will get in for fall. We already paid for the SAT it should not cost so much to get scores
matthewg260
December 28th, 2018
I hate to sound like the bitter, disgruntled customer that most employees hate to put up with however, my heart breaks for the lack of concern, professionalism, and proficient customer service of this "non-profit" organization. So here I am fighting to retrieve my scores for the December 1, 2018 Subject Tests Date. Here's the story: I was signing up for another test date shortly after taking my exams as scheduled. Turns out, I ended up switching my registration while scoring was in process. I understand the mistake on my part, however I never opted to cancel my scores. So with this said, how is it that there is no recollection of anyone receiving my answer sheets. They pride themselves on test security, but still can't tell me my scores when I know those answer sheets are tracked carefully from the testing center to the College Board headquarters. They sent my case to the escalation team to further handle the issue. They said it would take 5 to 7 business days. Could have fooled me. It's been exactly two weeks now. I'm extremely upset because they were suppose to be communicating with me via email regarding the case. They've only done so once. They don't take into consideration that a student may need those scores to satisfy College/University deadlines, they just patronize you with the "I understand your concerns sir". I think the $#*! not!!. This isn't the first time College Board has screwed up the futures of prospective college students. It should be a real wake up call when you are responsible for losing 100 student answer sheets, (took place 3 yrs ago for Virginia students) and having no solution for other students but to retake the test, placing an extra financial burden on some families. The moral of the story is, don't pride yourselves on being about education but can't effectively work with students with something simple as their test scores, a vital component to college admissions. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I am so glad my time of testing is done, except for one AP exam that I must take in May. Disgusting organization that I soon hope will hang itself by the neck with its long rope of deceit.
lynneh73
May 10th, 2019
Horrible services. The only thing they care is money. I once tried to set up an account for my 11 old daughter in college board to take SAT for the talented program, but I was not allowed to so I tried 2002 instead of 2007 and it worked. So I knew it was because she was too young to register through the website so I registered her through a talented program. However the account I set up in college board gave us nightmares. Even though my registration information through the talent program was totally correct and the admission ticket was correct, first they did not send out the admission ticket until I called to ask, then they did not send out the report to me until I called to request (for young kid, the report will be sent out automatically because they could not check online), next they sent out the score with the wrong day of birth, next I called 4 times, sending out the required documents for the birthday changes, paid the rush fee as asked, , I waited another ten days, still not received the score, and I called again and found out that ridiculously the College Board still sent out the report with the wrong birthday and nothing changed after my seven phone calls!!!!! I waited more than two months and called nine times and the deadline for score report of the talented program has already passed, I still haven't received the correct report. My daughter got 1240 over 1600 at age 11, which is much above the requirement for the talented program, however, she may miss the chance for the talented program because the bureaucracy of the college board. Anyone can imagine how fluctuated I am?
jackieh166
August 12th, 2019
My son graduated from a 4 year college in May of this year. He decided to pursue grad school which requires some prerequisites that he is trying to take at the local community college. The community college doesn't have a record of his AP scores. Since one of the AP classes he took in high school is required then we requested the scores from college board on July 16. In today's electronic world they still require a written request with payment of $25 and they must USPS the scores to the school. No email? Okay, I followed instructions. Check was cashed on 7/22. I have called several times trying to get an update and each time have been told that it can take "up to 15 days". Finally, last Tuesday 8/6. The rep I spoke with said "today is the 15th day and the scores are going out today". She even suggested that I follow up with the local college at the end of the week. Since I didn't receive the additional copy they send to the student as part of the request, I called this morning (the class stars Wednesday). Today I got a completely different story. They told me they received the request on 7/24 (now check was cashed on 7/22) and they are still within the 15 BUSINESS days. I explained my situation about the class starting and what the rep told me last week. There was absolutely no concern. I was told I couldn't speak to a supervisor (none available). Told the rep I could hold, Jovic said I couldn't none available. I asked if there was any way to get the scores emailed due to the situation. I received a robotic response.."All scores are mailed." I told him he was not being helpful and this is an urgent situation. He then told me if he were the parent then he would have request it sooner. Duh...so would I if I had known it was needed. We thought because it was on his college transcript and high school transcript then it would work. It doesn't. Regardless, Jovic implied that this was my fault and he wouldn't even acknowledge anything about the conversation I had with another rep telling me they had been mailed. Each person you speak with comes up with an "explanation of the day" to cover themselves. Don't believe anything anyone there tells you. It changes to whatever needs to be said on that particular day. So, today is August 13 and I'm being told that the scores I requested on 7/16, paid for on 7/22 (yet they received on 7/24??!) will be mailed. Unfortunately, their incompetence will have to be paid for by my son who can't take the class he needs. Too bad we are forced to deal with this monopoly!
nojinp
October 2nd, 2016
My daughter took a test from this organization at Mt. Pleasant High in San Jose 10/1/'16. She testified that the proctors did not take action when a few students took out their cell phones during the test time. It is banned in such a critical exam.
jonathanl70
November 6th, 2017
I had never had problems with the College Board in the past and, so, never had to call their customer support service.

My daughter was to take the SAT without the essay. On test day, her proctor told the students that they only had copies of the SAT with the essay. The students were told not to worry: the proctor had called the College Board and those who didn't opt for the essay should just skip it. All would be corrected by the College Board later.

About 16 days later, my credit card was billed $14 for the essay. I now needed to call the College Board and have them: 1) ensure that my daughter wouldn't get a '0' because she didn't write the essay; and 2) get a refund for the $14 I was charged for an essay my daughter was not supposed to write.

I called customer support but could not get through after multiple attempts during the workday. The holds were horrendously long and usually ended after 10 minutes or so with the message that the 'call volume was too high, call back later.' I tried their email options, but the automatic response told me to call their customer support line. I finally got through after holding 1 hour and 45 minutes in the evening. I was given a reference number and assurances that I would be called back or contacted via email within 3-5 business days.

13 days later, I got no response. I tried calling in during the day but had a similar experience. . By now, I had 3 problems: 1) the refund; 2) the reimbursement issue; and 3) my daughter's scores were not reported, likely held up because of the test version issue...

I tried again in the evening and got through after being placed on hold for over 20 minutes. At that point, the customer service rep acknowledged the previous complaint and reference number. He told me that he would 'escalate' the complaint and that they would get back to me in--you guessed it--3-5 business days. Oh, and by the way, he could only escalate the financial issue. I would have to call a separate department to discuss any scoring issues, as my daughter receives accomodations for dyslexia and therefore would have to call their SSD division.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that there were no supervisors. I asked for a person to send a query by regular mail, but he could not identify a person or address to send an actual letter to. I asked about an address to a department to send a letter to, he could not provide this either.

Most SAT scores are back after 2-3 weeks. It is now 4 weeks since she took the test. Colleges with rolling admissions are starting to make decisions regarding acceptances and my daughter's most recent scores are not available.

The problems are manifold:
1) You can't get through to customer support easily: holding times can be very close to two hours; if I had a vendor like this at work, I would find a new vendor
2) Once you get through, there is little the representative can do for you
3) You can't speak to a supervisor because there are no supervisors
4) You can't send a letter, because there is no one to send a letter to
5) They do not respond to or answer emails
6) They do not respond to or answer queries even within their own standard of 3-5 business days
7) My problem has not been resolved, so I have contacted the Better Business Bureau (The BBB given the College Board an A- rating. Realize, however, that they only insist that the vendor contacts the client and tries to make good on their complaint. To maintain a rating the business only needs to make an honest effort to resolve a complaint. I imagine after complaining on the BBB site, then, that the College Board will actually contact me
8) The College Board is actually a multimillion, money making corporation--that they cannot spend an nth of their earnings on reasonable customer support is shameful; simply shameful.

At this point, my advice to any student would be to take the ACT. If all goes well, the SAT will work out just fine. But if there is a problem, the College Board does NOT have your back and does not seem in the least bit of a hurry to resolve any problems. These are YOUR borad scores and there is now a viable alternative with a company that--at least per my friends--will actually pick up the phone and work with a customer to resolve a problem.

As I see it, in my daughter's case, the College Board and/or their representatives made an error and did not send the correct copies of an exam to the exam site. Because of this, they charged me an extra $14 and are now holding my daughters multiple choice scores hostage for an unknown period of time.

It would be one thing if they called and at least attempted to solve the problem There are times where we as customers are wrong or just don't get it. But at very least, the vendor needs to pick up the phone and have a dialogue with the customer. They also need to have avenues of redress and at least have a valid process in place to resolve problems. The College Board does not.

In spite of the fact that the above problems all started with an error by the College Board or their proxies, in the end, the onus is on me to fix this. The fact that they have been totally unhelpful has promted this review.

The CB is a horror to deal with. Here is what I have done: 1) Call customer service repeatedly until you get someone who speaks English well enough that you can understand them 2) Tell them you want to "open a case" and have it "red flagged." This will put the case in the 24 hour callback queue. Write down the case number. Insist on a phone call, not an email, because if they email you and you don't get a satisfactory or helpful answer, you can't continue the conversation. They won't actually call back in 24 hours, but you will now have a case number. 3) Go to the list of phone numbers for the CB on their site. They list centers for different parts of the country. Choose the "counselor/educator" phone number for your region, not the 'parent/student line." Call them. Tell them you are the guidance counselor and parent for your child (we homeschool, so that is legitimate for us). The people at those numbers are in the U.S. and speak English (!). Give them the case number and tell them what the problem is. Make it sound as urgent as possible. They will either be able to help you, or will re-escalate the case. I did this and got a call back (shockingly) within a day. The problems I've had with the CB could fill a book. Good luck!

By Lisa K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the CollegeBoard.org staff and other customers.

Mission-driven organization representing over 6,000 of the world?۪s leading colleges, schools, and other educational organizations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CollegeBoard.org?

Have a question about CollegeBoard.org?